• Published 14th Oct 2017
  • 309 Views, 0 Comments

Of Steel and Ships - Alfoals Trottenbauer



A moose named Sven travels the sea in search for resources.

  • ...
 0
 309

II - Hardship

The elders and calves rested in a small room atop the deck. The rest had to stay on deck.

The snow had to be cleared off the ship every hour. The blizzard obstructed the horizon from view. The snow covered their manes, tails, and coats.

Sven was certain his sword had frozen inside the sheath, which in turn had frozen onto the belt.

Asbjorn somehow wasn't cold, or at least didn't show it.

Leaks had to be stopped every few minutes. Falling into the waters meant death.

A large wave came crashing over the ship. a few of Sven's folk were swept into the sea.

"Canute, Egil, and Hafgrim have fallen to the ocean. How many more until the earth is sated?" Bodolf said.

Someone entered the elder's room. Some calves had died, the strongest carried them out of the room, and cast them out into the sea with a piece of cloth; what culture they had.

The waters had become warmer, the sun was almost visible. The snow had died into rain.

It may be a mockery by the gods, but they also could be near land.

Some elders had died. They cast them away as well.

Asbjorn sat before the mast, he had an expression he never had before. One deprived of hope. Was the greatest warrior, a living legend, hopeless and devoid of glory?

The sun set. A wave cast over the deck. It carried Sven backward forcefully. It threw him into the main mast, knocking him unconscious.