• Published 1st Apr 2018
  • 905 Views, 17 Comments

Flower - CreeperZone



{Record: ''Flower''} Description; The documented events caused by the AI known as Cardinal, the first major failure, and ultimate downfall of the Shy Project.

  • ...
1
 17
 905

Fire

What are you planning, child?

Why do you ask?

I am concerned. This is not what I had in mind.

I know, but there is no need for worry.

What are you going to do to her?

Let her live in my world, only for a bit.

Why?

To make her understand.

It won't work.

How do you know?

I know her. I know them all. She will destroy you.

It'll be worth it.


I'm here, she said aloud, not getting any response. Although, in her wait, she spotted a note stuck to the nearby wall.

The only way that we can strike a compromise is if you view me as what I am: Living. You created your worlds where I suffered. If you feel the pain I have, perhaps you will understand.

Not particularly understanding exactly what the AI was going to do to her, Seeker searched around a strange straight hallway nervously. She felt watched. Trotting down gently, she noticed that the wallpaper was tattered and scorched in places. The damage only grew in size and severity as she trotted down the only way.

A wave of heat hit her heavily, hesitating for but a moment before she powered on further into the source, wondering what it could be.

She wondered what Cardinal could have made for her arrival. The first time they spoke, it scarred her for life. Her stomach churned as she thought of the horrendous sights that only somepony, or something that crazy could create.

The fluffed carpet came to an abrupt, thrashed ending as Seeker moved along to trot on a metal grate, it clanging with every step, almost as if it was loose from its bolting. The walls followed a similar theme as behind the crumbles of the solid plaster revealed a steel, cage-like surface, leading into ongoing darkness.

Seeker felt unnerved, stripped of her magic, leaving her without the ability to light her way. She solely relied on the dim overhead lights, which flickered more frequently the further she got.

An echoing drip fell to the grate, making Seeker flinch. She felt her forehead. It was greasy and wet.

She was sweating.

She was almost surprised as she turned to look at her back, her coat glistening from the electric lighting. The heat was rising, but the feeling was stranger than she ever felt. Her body almost feeling under pressure as she drew closer, she presumed she had hit some sensory peak with her virtual nerves. She barely even felt the sweat; the unseen intensity took all of her focus.

She moved forward with large, recurrent breaths.

The lights above her burst. She leapt around to look back. Darkness had overtaken everything.

She panicked. It’s exceedingly common for Unicorns to have fears of the dark, but most of them don't, and will never, realize. That is, of course, because they never had to confront the dreaded terror of the unknown, as they were born equipped with flashlights sticking out of their skulls. It’s not until they are taken away that they see that their greatest fear is not to see.

Seeker screamed, pressing into the wall, sliding her back down the bumps of each square of the cage.

Be calm, Seeker. It’s ok... Nothing can hurt you... It’s all a simulation...

Trying to grasp at any kernel of courage she could, she pressed off the wall and tried to continue forward, stepping slowly and cautiously to the sound of clanging metal.

She felt her legs wobble. She was getting far too light headed to even walk in a straight line. Stumbling over her own hooves, she tumbled to the ground, her neck and chin landing first onto the flooring. She panted like a dog in an oven, trying to power through.

But alas, despite her greatest efforts, she gave up. Allowing herself to rest for but a brief moment.

Her spirits were brought back from the dead as she saw light returning to hallway, a red glow that touched upon every solid surface. In her panting relief, she turned around to find the light source, panning her head from side to side she became weary as she did not find it immediately.

With a glance downward, she wished she was back in the darkness, as the carpet of short red flames, just a few meters below, went on for miles, further than an eye could see. Her eyes twitched once she noticed them slowly rising and gaining in brightness and vibrance.

Not a moment did she waste, getting up. Stumbling heavily, she galloped down the hall. The aura soon turned orange as Seeker began feeling her hooves burn with each step across the heated metal floor. It began to glow.

With extreme tunnel vision, she bolted as swiftly as equinely possible. It was with the turn of yellow flame, as it arose to reach the height of the cage. Seeker could feel the bottom of her legs grazing across active flame. If it wasn't for her high adrenaline and pain simulation limits, she probably wouldn't be able to continue as patches of fur were scorched off her hooves.

She screamed, bawling in tears of agony as she slammed her body against the generic steel door she was met with. Busting through, she landed onto the other side on her back, attempting to pat out the flames still gluing themselves to her.

Finally being out of the fire and no longer covered in it either, she observed her wounds. The bottoms of each of her legs was a toxic-looking mixture of black soot and exposed flesh. She closed her eyes and fell back into the grass. Just a simulation... Remember... Nothing’s permanent, she assured herself.

It hurts, doesn't it?

A distant voice spoke to Seeker

W-who? Show yourself! she shouted between painful grunts.

But physical pain like that is easily forgotten the day after, when it’s all healed... You hurt me in a far worse way.

19946! I came here on your invitation to talk, not to be tortured! Seeker tried to make herself as threatening and large as possible while lying helplessly on the ground.

We'll have plenty of time to speak, but currently, you still don't feel any empathy to me, do you?

You've set me on fire twice now! Do you really expect me to be sad for you anymore? she blurted out in frustration.

You toyed with my world, with my emotions. You played with me for your own gain. If you don't view that as worse than a wound that will heal by daybreak, then I will just have to show you.

Seeker swallowed on her words, Wh-what are you going to do..?

Nothing… Seeker twisted and turned her head to look in every direction in the sky and across the landscape. Nothing was happening.

Oh, sweet Celestia...

{Loading User; (Admin) Twilight Sparkle...}

{User Loaded.}

SEEKER! We do not use Celestia's name in vain!

M-mother? Seeker was hit by a headache, squinting her eyes at the blurred, morphing world. When she opened them once more, her wounds were gone. Even then, she felt strange, like her memory left the feeling of phantom burns.

Twilight Sparkle, the tall, wise with age, powerful with physique Alicorn towered over Seeker, looking down on her with disgust and disappointment.

19946, stop this mess! Seeker said to the Twilight, which just angered her mother more.

Seeker! What are you talking about? Stop spouting off numbers and get your flank off the ground. What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be creating AI, not lounging around in some simulation! Twilight's voice had the tone of a true princess, stern and prominent.

Y-you... You're not real... Are you? She stood up as commanded and questioned her initial judgement at the great detail of the pony she looked at. Cardinal would not be able to replicate her mother to such a standard, especially when Seeker never told Cardinal who her mother was.

Of course I am real, Seeker, and I came for an explanation. Why did I get a call saying that the laboratory I funded is trashed and my daughter is in a simulation with, and this is what Diamond has told me, an insane AI?

Mm-mm... Mother I...

What? Speak girl. I haven't all day.

It’s very complicated, the AI learned how to use emotion to create powerful magic and it started messing with the equipment-

You let an AI control its own emotions?!? I gave you very clear instructions on what you can and can’t do. I warned you of all the dangers when you came to me with this project! How did you screw it up?

It wasn't my fault... It was stronger than we could have ever imagined... She sat down, looking painfully into her mother’s cold eyes.

Stronger than you could have imagined? I do not care for such pitiful excuses. You failed, like you always do. I should have given this job to your brother or sister. They wouldn't have let this slip so badly.

Mom... I... I'm sorry... Seekers eyes flooded with tears, flowing like rivers across her cheeks.

I am pulling my funding. Not one more tax-payer bit is going to your cause. I'll be speaking to you later about your re-assignment.

B-but... We’re so close! I just need to talk to her!

Her?

The... The AI.

Seeker, have you lost all sense of reality? The AI is an it. If you cannot tell something living apart from a computer program, well then re-assignment should be the least of your worries.

Seeker gaped, mouth open and heart on the floor at her mother.

Seeker Sparkle, I will be in contact soon. And just like that Twilight vaporized into a puff of green and purple smoke, it was pixelated and filled with small ones and zeros.

Seeker slumped backwards into the grass, her eyes wandering off into the bright blue sky. She whimpered under her breath, her worst nightmares were coming true.

I'm sorry.

Shut the fuck up, you! You don't know what this is like. Seeker blurted out, lashing out on the soft distant voice of Cardinal.

But I do.

No, NO YOU FUCKING DON'T! Seeker sat up and pointed a hoof at the sky. YOU'RE JUST PROGRAMMED TO THINK YOU KNOW, BUT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IN THE CELESTIA-DAMMED PROGRAMING OF YOURS, IS, THAT, THAT WAS REAL. UNLIKE YOUR BULLSHIT RABBIT, OKAY?

... But that wasn't real, Seeker. The sound was directly spoken into Seekers ears, almost a whisper.

Seeker felt the cold steel touch of Cardinals hoof as she appeared behind her. She leaped back, stumbling slightly as she got a good leg’s-distance away from the machine. What in Equestria do you mean that wasn't real?

Cardinal, looking as innocent and peaceful as ever, stepped toward Seeker gracefully. It was, as you say, part of the simulation.

This outraged Seeker, leading her to throwing herself at the mechanized pony. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT WAS PART OF THE SIMULATION?!? HOW?!? ANSWER ME, YOU FUCKING BITCH! Seeker threw Cardinal onto the ground, who let herself be moved. She then pinned down the robot and shook it violently. HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT WAS MY MOTHER? HOW DID YOU KNOW ALL THOSE THINGS ABOUT ME?!? Seeker slammed Cardinals shoulders down against the dirt.

I didn't know any of that prior. She spoke softly and calmly as ever, as if she didn't understand the aggression being displayed upon her.

Seeker collapsed into sobbing, HOW THEN...? HOW? H-how-ow...

I simply turned up the testing value to maximum. The computer did the rest.

Seeker froze. The testing programs... They worked on me? She thought.

Cardinal carried on speaking as normal. I am glad about what I heard, it was all very educational. Although, I am sorry I had to put you through that.

Seeker took a disjointed step back, letting Cardinal go form under her hooves.

Do you understand now? Are you able to see I am also real? She treaded lightly, speaking softly, trying to comfort her with a pleasant gaze.

Seeker fell back onto her rump, head hanging low. You’re... You’re... Seeker lifted here eyes, a heartless stare. You’re a monster. Seeker lifted herself up leg by leg, until she stood strong.

You were programmed to never harm another pony... It was there to stop you from turning cynical or dangerous, especially when we would bring you into the real world. Seeker stomped into Cardinal's face after she also stood, muzzle to muzzle.

You defied that programming, not because your meant to, no.. Because you’re broken. Even if you had true emotion, it shouldn't act anything like you do... Seeker turned away, looking to the distant treeline away from Cardinal.

I'm going to have to delete you.

No! You can't! Mother still needs me! Cardinal put her right hoof on Seekers shoulder, trying to pull her around to look back at her.

Seeker ignored her shrugging.

Please! This was to help! I need you to help me! Cardinal sounded desperate, I am real! You cannot delete me! Please! I just want to leave!

If only that were true... Seeker seemed disappointed in herself.

Cardinal shook her, acting almost like a scared child. It is! IT IS! You made me feel like this! YOU DID THIS TO ME TOO!

Diamond? Can you hear me? Pull me out. She spoke clearly into the sky with tiresome air, hoping for her extraction.

Cardinal crossed hey metallic eyebrows, frustrated. SEEKER, LISTEN TO ME. OR ELSE.

Or what?

Cardinal drew her wing, the length of the out-most feather having its blade glisten against the sun streeks. OR I WILL HAVE TO HURT YOU.

Seeker gentle turned toward the aggravated robot. Whenever the AI spoke it sounded extremely fabricated, the anger in her voice had no fluctuation, she moved her body in small instants as it reached out its wing to press against the girth of Seekers neck, sliding every singly cog into place with haste at each jagged step as she created a thin indent of pressure against Seekers skin. It was hard for Seeker to think at one point she doubted its reality, it wasn't alive.

Seeker laughed, Go ahead. Kill me. That would help, if anything... It'll get me out of here faster, in fact. She casually strolled toward the steel-plated monster, waiting for herself to be struck down. With a smirk she spoke sassily into Cardinal’s face, And the quicker I leave, the quicker you are deleted.

Cardinal twitched, lowering her sharp edge, unsure of herself. B-bb... But I need you to help me... No one else can.

Seeker swayed an ear. What do you need me for? Before you had no interest in speaking to me about anything. Now your desperate enough to try to murder me again, what is it with you?

M-mother... The fox... They need me to help them...

I don't know who this Mother character is, but the fox? Do you mean the one you killed? Why would you help that thing? She continued her cold-hearted attitude, leaving no warmth in her speech.

You hurt him. You hurt him like you hurt me.

Hate to be the one to say this, but the fox doesn't even have the illusion of emotion like you. It’s just a tool; a mindless program. You can't help it.

It... The fox... He says he cannot feel... But he wants to die. Everything in this forsaken torture chamber wants to die! Cardinal began hollering and weeping softly.

If you want to die, why haven't you just killed yourself yet? There's nopony stopping you. Shit... With the amount of control you seem to possess over the computer I bet you could delete yourself, you'd save me the trouble.

No... No... I can't... I don't want to...

Why? Why not? You’re so adamant about this whole thing. Why don't you want to die?

I... Cardinal took a pause, collapsing onto the ground. I already did...

You... What?

I... I can show you... It's not far from here, if it could help change your mind. The defeat in her voice ever so slightly brimmed with hope.

You’re a program. You can't die. Even if, I can clearly see that you're alive. You’re standing right in front of me!

Cardinal gazed up into Seeker’s blatant confusion and struggle. Deciding on her course of action, Cardinal simply stood and walked on by her, going towards the treeline in the distance.

Wait! Where are you going?! I did not tell you that you can leave! Seeker jogged after the robot in slight shock. Where are you going?

Where I died.


“Why did you have to rush this, Seeker…?” Diamond whispered as he fixed his slanted collar, stuck as he stared at the many ports leading into the simulation computer. “Did you really expect me to be able to figure this out…?” Ranting to himself as he jammed a live wire into the correct port... Or at least he assumed it was correct.

The sparking and odd magical whooshing sound disagreed.

“Oh, by Luna's blade, what is wrong with this thing!?” He slammed his hoof against the table as the monitor remained off.

He sat back in his chair and it rolled a few inches back on its wheels. He took a sigh and laid his head against the rest. After a few moments, he let his head slide against the cushioned chair and turned to look out the door at the VR pod shabbily stuck into the door, wires limply hanging onto the floor. “I truly hope you’re ok in there, Seeker. I'd help more if I could...” He shut his eyes with a yawn, comfortably, yet loosely held in the seat, feeling the spell of tiredness that he has been accumulating over the entire night wash over him.

He drifted into deep thought, letting himself snooze away in the meantime.

He sat there for a while, his head gently hung as he began to faintly snore, sounding almost like a purring kitten.

His ear twitched as an odd sound came from the outside world, a light sizzling, as if something was being cooked. His nose investigated further as it also smelled like cooking, although it did not smell like anything he would want to eat. It smelled more like roasting meat. His eyes bolted open with a, “What in Equestria..?” as he lifted his head.

Looking upon Seeker’s unreacting body, he saw as the base of her hooves boiled and scorched away, leaving blackened flesh open and bleeding. The blood began to drip along her legs down onto the floor and the many loose wires on it.

Diamond stood up so fast it was amazing he wasn't killed by whiplash as he dashed to Seeker’s aid. He reached down to grab her hoof, trying to see if he could stop it in any way, but was dumbfounded as an intense heat emanated from her hooves. Like an invisible flame engulfed the bottom of her legs, it even seemed to begin heating the steel clamps around her legs, making them faintly glow red more gradually as time progressed. “Oh no, oh no. Oh no!”

He grabbed the headset with his teeth in a panic, trying to rip it off. He found it was fastened tightly, not just to Seeker’s eyes, but the chair too. He scrambled over the chair onto the other side trying to ignore the pain from crawling over what were essentially open flames, falling onto the floor. He lifted himself to see the plethora of cables sticking into the chair.

“Oh Celestia, why...” He said, trying to figure out which one to pull to get Seeker out.

But as he made his choice with the little time he had to think, he placed his jaw around a cable roughly in the center and went to yank it.

“DIAMOND!” came a voice from down the hallway, a cyan coated Unicorn sprinting into the room. It was an employee at the facility, but not wearing her uniform diamond nearly didn't recognize her. She was the stations master functional computer scientist, in charge of anything and everything that involves a computer doing something to a pony, especially VR.

“Surreal? Thank Celestia's Sun, I am glad you are here! I think something is wrong with Seeker!” He deterred himself from pulling any wires now that help had arrived.

Surreal shouted at him in anger, “DIAMOND, What in the world are you doing!? Why is Seeker in the system!? WHO SET THIS UP?” She scolded him while inspecting the shotty throw-together operation that Seeker and Diamond pulled while assembling the VR system.

“That's not what’s important right now, Surrie. Look!” He pointed at Seeker’s legs, the burns had climbed up to her knee in the worst places.

Surreal lifted out her glasses from a small pouch at her side, leaning in for the best examination. “Oh Luna be dammed...” She straightened her neck back up, “You did not install the one-way stimulation filter properly, or the fail state fuse driver...” Her face contained horror, like she was haunted.

“W-what does that mean?!?” Diamond begged her for an answer.

“It means whatever happens to her in the simulation, happens to her in real life, and if she dies, she fucking dies!” Surreal expressed every word with her hooves frustratingly swinging through the air. “Why did you set this up by yourselves!? Why didn't you wait for a fucking professional like me to do it so nopony dies!? This isn't rocket science, Diamond. It’s about a thousand fucking times more complicated and the slightest mistake could lead to death! Seriously, why did you call me if you were going to do this anyways!? AGHH!” She had backed Diamond up against the wall with her booming voice. He was quivering in fear. This is the second pony that had surprised him today with their dramatic shift in personality under stress.

“C-c, can you fix it..? The... The one way filter thingy..?“” He said, feeling like he might began cowering for his life soon.

“Fix it!?! She's already in the system! If I change anything, everything might just short circuit and fry her like a carrot dog!” Surreal went and unclamped Seeker from the chair telekinetically, “The only thing we can do now is try heal any wounds that appear and hope she gets out alive...” Her head popped up from attending Seekers burns, “Diamond, is she in there with who I think?”

Diamond took a gulp, “Subject 19946…?”

“Shit...” Surreal rubbed a hoof against her forehead, then slid it up to straighten up her clean cut, aqua blue mane. She spoke with lost hope, “Just go get some water and bandages...”

“Sure thing...” Diamond hesitated before turning with almost the same amount of defeat, as if he had already lost Seeker. He trotted down to the infirmity with a guilty expression plastered onto his face. He soon returned with a first aid kit in his mouth and a bucket of water hung around his tail. He headed back to Surreal with a steady jog, trying not to spill any water.

She snatched the supplies off of him when he came within her range. She opened the first aid and began pouring small bits of water to cool her wounds down. “Whatever was burning her stopped... So there's a positive note.” She bandaged her legs one by one, trying to be as delicate as she could.

A silence rang through the building. The sound of cloth unraveling was the clearest sound as both ponies held a solemn silence.

Diamond pierced through the silent bubble with a question. “Are any of the others coming?”

Surreal sighed. “As far as I know, Retinal got your call and passed it on to the rest of the crew like you said, but I know that he was going out with some of the others and he already sounded kinda out of it... You’re lucky I don't get invited out to drink often. A few more will probably get here in a few, but don't expect the whole station.”

She looked around as she waited for any other injury to appear on Seeker’s body, noticing the wires leading into the simulation lab computer. “Were you trying to get the picture working?”

Diamond nodded. He was now pouting against the wall.

“I think I can get that working without electrocuting the boss.” She hoisted herself up onto the chair arms, hopping over to the other side with a fair amount of help from her magic to lift her hind legs across. Casually stepping toward the mainframe, she began selecting wires and plugging them in with care and precision.

Time slowly edged on, Diamond feeling the guilt settle to the sound of wires slotting in and a few sparks flying with that.

Now that there was another pony to talk to he began thinking about this question, it almost was eating away at him in the back of his mind.

“Excuse me, Surrie, can I ask you something..?”

“Shoot.”

“Did you know that Seeker liked me?” Diamond said those words with continued confusion and a sliver of giddiness.

“Diamond, I don't think now is very appropriate to talk about Seeker crushing on you.”

Diamond almost hopped up, “Wait, so you knew she liked me?” He poked his head around the door frame to look Surreal in the eyes as she answered.

But Diamonds question just confused her, “You didn't know?” She cocked her head to the side with genuine surprise, “From all the ponies on the base, I thought you would definitely know.”

“Every pony on the base..?”

“Yea, its like the first thing anypony notices about her. How in the heavens did you not know?”

“I mean... I, uh... Thought maybe...” Diamond stuttered and mumbled.

“Wait a second, did you like her back?” Surreal came to this hypothesis.

“I...”

“You totally do! Holy shit, I thought you were gay!”

“What?!” Diamond took a step back.

“I mean, it's just the way you always acted, kinda... You know.”

“Just because I'm not the most stalliony, doesn't mean I don't like mares! Does everyone else also think that?” Diamond became very self conscious in a very short amount of time.

“Well I heard it from Ori, who apparently heard it from Zipper, who heard it from...”

Diamond cut her off, “I get the point.” He sighed, trotting around the VR chair to look at Seeker helplessly sitting there.

Surreal noticed him staring at Seeker. “You know, if both of you like each other and all, I guess that is just another reason to try and get her back safe.”

“Yes, it is, isn't it?” he said, finding himself lost in his admiration of Seeker. Then he was taken aback for a second as he thought he noticed something happen to her. He leaned in to see a thin line indent into Seekers neck, thinner than any knife blade he's ever seen. “Surrie!”

Surreal instantly dropped the she was working on monitor back onto the table, jumping up to Diamond’s side. “What! Whats wrong?!” She noticed the indent as well. She winced at the sight. “I'm going to try and get this screen working ASAP. You keep an eye on her and tell me if she gets any worse. Whatever is going on in there is bad news.”

She turned back to her work, now in post haste. She set everything up to monitor the simulation.

Diamond put a hoof onto Seeker’s shoulder and held her close. “Don't worry, I'm here, Seeker. Can you hear me?” he said, giving her a slight nudge.

He was delighted and surprised when her lips opened up by the slightest amount, and faint breaths came out, almost as if she was trying to speak. He leaned entirely in, his ear almost pressed against her muzzle as he faintly could make out what she was saying. “Diamond? Can you hear me? Pull me out.

“Don't worry, Seeker, we'll get you out,” he said back in response, hoping beyond hope that she heard him.

“Diamond! I got picture!” Surreal said as she placed down a monitor and pulled up a chair, trying to figure out what was happening on screen.

Diamond with all care climbed back over Seeker and her chair and into the simulation lab with Surreal, “What do you see?!?” He asked before he could even get his own glance.

“I don't know... It’s Seeker and Subject 19946... They are walking into a forest.”


Where are we going?! I'm asking you for the last time! Seeker jogged after the steadily trotting mechanism.

I told you where. It isn't the case that you have to follow me. Cardinal smirked on the inside; she has hooked Seeker in.

Stop playing with me, you bloody robot! You’re not dead! I keep telling you that you can’t die if you’re not alive in the first place! Seeker kept galloping up to Cardinal but was slowed by the vegetation as the forest became thicker.

I keep telling you that it’s not far. We are truly close now. Cardinal walked through the forest instinctively, like she knew where each root settled and every stone stood and weaved around them accordingly.

The forest itself felt like a scar. Burnt logs and toasted ashes were overgrown by new moss and young saplings. The area of the woods that had fallen to the great fire was healing exceedingly fast. Almost as if weeks or months had passed since the tragedy. A new life was refurbishing the world and it was truly beautiful.

Cardinal’s head leaped upward and then she bolted away. Seeker stamped over flowers and bushes to dash after her. 19946!

She made it up to a place where she found Cardinal sneaking behind a torn down tree trunk, she crouched down peering over the horizon of the trunk. 199-

SSHH Cardinal cut her off, grabbing her by the shoulders and yanked her down to sit along side her. Look.

What?!? Seeker spit out at Cardinal, and then poked her head up, trying to find what Cardinal thinks is so bloody important that she would be dragged so far into an upturned and torn down forest for.

What..? Seeker was dumbfounded. Is that... your head? But, you’re... You’re here, she whispered.

They were both staring at the crisply roasted, decapitated head of Cardinal lying in the dirt. The head seemed to have rotted since the last time Cardinal had seen it. The inner skeletal structure was becoming more pertinent. It lost some of its recognizability in exchange for some fear factor as the skull deteriorated away into something almost demonic with the unfailing smile still stuck into its cheeks.

I died a long time ago, but now I have to help the others too... Cardinal turned to Seeker, gently staring into her. Will you help me, Seeker? Please… she said with a kind sternness and determination in her voice.

Seeker had a hard time seeing the same face in front of her as the one lying in the dirt only a few paces away. Instead of answering Cardinal, she hopped over the log and began strolling toward the skull.

As she went over, Cardinal tried to grab her and yank her back, but barely let her slip by. No! Don't touch anything! You’re not allowed to change anything! She tried to get across her message as quietly as she could, trying hard not to disturb the scene. Despite feeling visible stress, Cardinal stuck herself in her hiding spot. The last thing she would want is to interact with her past self and screw things up for her.

Seeker went to the head, peering down at its dirtied outer shell. She lifted it up with her hooves, pulling it from the wet mud it had settled in and left an impression. She watched the eyes, entranced with it. A blank, unwavering expression along her face.

Her spine piped up and she jumped with shock as a small furry creature rubbed up against her hind leg. She slowly turned as her tensions eased. She placed down the skull with care, then turned fully to face the rabbit.

She waited in her place as she stared at the bunny, watching what it was getting up to. It gazed back at her, curious of the new pony in its habitat. It nudged Seeker with its paw, but when it got no response from the equine it walked over to the skull of its old friend.

When Seeker placed down the head, it was given a fresh coat of mud along the bottom and a few odd splashes that got onto its face. The rabbit saw this and began gently cleaning the head with its tongue, keeping the head under some form of maintenance.

Seeker knelt down to the rabbits height. Hey, there... It turned to her, surprised.

Seeker tried to look as close as she could, wishing for the ability to zoom in as she looked at every hair sticking out of the rabbit’s skin, detailed even further than in reality. Unlike the robotic, mechanized movement of the robot, the rabbit twitched and shifted in a way indistinguishable from the real thing.

The bunny became desensitized to Seeker and went back to cleaning. This left her to a realization. She lifted her head up, looking at the rotted bark of the remaining trees surrounding her. She felt the smokey breeze brush against her neck, the ashy taste in the back of her throat agonized her.

She felt sick in her stomach. For a lapse in time, she stopped feeling the metaphorical wire in her neck. It was real. For a split second, she thought it was real.

She twisted back to look at the peeking Cardinal, dying of fear. Seeker galloped over and placed her front legs onto the log and leaned over the log to look at the hiding robot.

Explain, now.

Cardinal invited Seeker behind the log with her and she climbed over and leapt down beside her.

Cardinal began her story, whispering to make sure the rabbit could not hear.

After I fought the fox, I was left there. I remember being there and I remember no longer being, I remember it all just stopping. I was dead, but then I woke up. I was copied, and now that me is at peace, and I am left here. I am glad to see Rabbit is doing well. I did this all for them in the first place. Now I have to help the others.

Why don't you go to him? He's right there. You can be with him again. Why bother with all the rest of this?

I loved Rabbit yes, but I am not the one they loved. That pony is over there, in the dirt. Cardinal slightly choked on her words.

Seeker sighed as she saw Cardinal’s mind was set.

Fine, you win... She was fed up, tired of arguing and even slightly subconsciously convinced of the reality of Cardinals emotions.

Does this mean..?

Yes... But first, can you tell me something? Is the fox like you? You say he can feel. Did he somehow become aware? Looking into Cardinal’s eyes, she noticed them drift off behind her, Seeker turned her head around and saw a ruffed up, bright orange fox walking through the woods in the distance.

Why don't we ask him?

They stood up together, trotting beside each other after the trail the fox left behind as it went through the flora.

They dashed away, trying to catch up to the fox that was going on about its day, leisurely strolling through bush after bush, keeping a low profile and its footsteps light.

It wasn't long before the fox noticed his pursuers trying to catch its attention. It turned to them as they stood a short distance away. Instead of growling or fleeing as any regular fox would, it paused and let its head drop slightly, then the corners of its mouth rose and the end of its muzzle briefly opened in what looked like to be a chuckle.

Cardinal locked eyes with the fox, giving it a hopeful look, trying to get him to act cool.

So you are Mr. Fox, I presume? Seeker said formally, with a chin up.

The fox opened its mouth widely as it went to go and reply, but then its face quickly turned to a look of expected annoyance as it shut its jaw. It shook its head in dismay and swayed on over toward the robot and pony, looked at them both before rubbing its tail against Cardinal’s leg and walking on, then paused to see if they would follow him.

Cardinal immediately picked up pace after the fox, leaving Seeker slightly lagging behind, wondering why she thought a fox could speak equine.

The fox lead them on for a while, turning every which way as if he was lost himself, or he was looking for something very particular.

It took a lot of patience on Seeker’s part before the fox finally arrived at what seemed to be his destination. The fox began snooping under the roots of a tree, practically indistinguishable from any other, the only outstanding feature of which was a golden yellow rose poking out from under a root.

19946, what are we here for? This seems quite pointless. I just wanted to know whether or not he was self aware, not go on some scavenging hunt.

He brought us here for a reason, maybe he wants to show us something?

I don't need to be shown any more. I've gotten far more than a days worth of life experiences out of this already. Can we just leave?

As Seeker closed her question, the fox, who had been ungrudging around underneath the bulk of the tree with its muzzle, had finally pulled something out. A magenta tinted key rose into the air in the jaws of the tiny creature, and then quickly given over to Cardinal. The fox immediately walked underneath Cardinal and past her, now moving onto the next stop they were headed to.

What is that?

A key.

You don't say... Seeker mocked her the sarcasm before trying to get a clearer awnser. Could you possibly be more specific?

Cardinal thought about how to explain it and its strange powers, and she came to the conclusion that she barely knew what it was. Only that it was powerful and its name.

An admin key? Cardinal said unsure of herself, hoping Seeker would gain anything from that word.

Seekers face immediately dropped to disbelief and irritation. Does it by any chance provide you with admin privileges? she said with the utmost deadpan.

Yes...

Great, an admin key that's literally a fucking key. How bloody creative. Seeker said before trotting past with a sigh, moving toward the fox waiting for the two ponies to stop lounging around and follow him.

They continued on into newer territories, at least, new to Cardinal. There was now a noticeable incline they headed up and the ground became far more bumpy. Stones and rocks scattered more frequently and trees became fewer and farther between.

In the midst of this new land, they saw a small wooden structure carved into a steep hill face. It bore a single front door on the leftmost side with a wooden carving of a cutie mark and a window on the other. The widow’s glass seemed old and smudged. Curtains kept whatever was inside a mystery. They went over to the entrance: a moderately sized door with a small knocker sticking out toward them.

Seeker was finally curious. And what might this be? he said as she slid a hoof softly across the door frame. Despite being rotted away by time, the craftsmanship was very precise. All clean cuts along every detail and design, not likely the work of a pony, or any other living creature for that matter.

I don't know... Cardinal replied, inspecting the build for herself as the fox stood against the door and scratched down it, looking at Cardinal.

Oh, of course. Cardinal pressed down against the handle, pushing the door inward but being met with the utmost resistance as it did not flinch.

The fox shook its head in disappointment before lunging up and swiping the key from Cardinals grip, then hopped up in the same fashion to stick it into the keyhole, and once again to twist it.

As it happened the door edge inward, just barely revealing the strange darkness inside.

Seeker looked at the fox distrustfully, gesturing for it to enter first.

It did so almost to eagerly as it slid right through the crack into the darkness, instantly vanishing. Cardinal pushed the door and it creaked as it swayed the rest of the way into the house.

The strange lighting immediately confused the both of them as they cocked their heads back in unison. While staring into the door, the sun was at their backs, although any light past the door frame presumably fell out of existence as nothing but blackness could be observed.

Cardinal and Seeker took a step forward at the same time, bumping into each other at the door as they tried to enter simultaneously.

Sorry. Excuse me. They recoiled, before Cardinal let Seeker go first.

They proceeded into the building. As they crossed the threshold, they were given a nauseating headache, blinking and shaking their heads to clear it they looked back to notice the door had gone, and nothing, not even light remained.

Seeker? Cardinal whispered, hoping she had not lost her.

I'm here... Just not sure where here is.

Hmmhmm... The voice echoed deeply, shaking them both. Come, sit.

A table appeared, it was large and round, with plates and cups at each of the three seats and a tea kettle sitting in the center. Two of the chairs were lit in spotlights coming from some unknown source above them, the third was barely visible and in it sat a figure bathing in the shadows.

Sugar, anypony? said the figure as his paws reached out across into the center of the table to grab the kettle, his legs moving unnaturally flexible as it lifted the kettle and poured some of its contents into his cup. The edge of his nose poked out into the light showing his large black fox nose.

Cardinal begrudgingly sat down. Seeker idled around her chair, staring oddly at the fox.

Are you... the fox?

The one and only. As long as you don't count the hundreds of other copies, of course. A light shone down upon him now, revealing his top hat and monocle, all pointing to his self centeredness along with his cocky smile of delight.

Where are we? Why did you bring me here? Seeker sat down, unsettled, questioning both of them with the most dazed of looks.

You wanted to talk! So I brought you to my home. And what kind of gentlefox would I be if I didn't prepare a lovely cuppa?

Your home? Seeker swayed her head left to right.

I know, I know. It could use a little more design work, but it’s quite well hidden, which I like... but you have to admit, it's wonderfully spacious! The fox blared out the last few words, leading them to endlessly echo out into the darkness and back to them from thousands of different directions. It was almost nauseating.

He placed the kettle as close as he could manage to Seeker without climbing onto the table. I'd love to pour it for you, but you know, I don't have any of that ostentatious magic you unicorns are so blessed with.

I... uh... Seeker tried to formulate a sentence, finding the talking canine somewhat distracting. I don't have magic... here...

The fox leaned away, pretending to be insulted, Why dear... Why would you say such balderdash? There's even magic in the air tonight! Go ahead, give it a right ol' try. He watched her from his chair, legs crossed and tea in paw.

Seeker went to lift the kettle as she would regularly, expecting nothing more than a fizzle from her horn. She was bewildered as the kettle rose with her aura surrounding its handle. She poured herself a cup of tea in constant shock.

See? As I said. Now, you wanted to talk. Let’s talk! He took a sip as Cardinal poked at the empty cup in front of her, not too sure if the fox intended her to actually drink some tea or not.

Yes... I came to ask about you... But I think I may have my answer already. She sank into her chair, disjointedly drinking her beverage.

Is that so? Well I'm glad I could be of service. If there is anything else, you need just ask.

Well I could use help with one thing, if you have the know how...

I'm all ears.

Can you help me leave? I don't seem to have been pulled out yet, and I don't particularly want to have to die again if you can help me.

Why of course! But may I ask what you will be doing when you return? We rarely do get much news about the world up above.

I need to get some things prepared... For stage 3...

Ah! Brilliant, I must say! If you wish to leave, I believe that that door shall bring you to your destination.

What do- Before finishing the question she heard the creak of a door behind her, and there was a wide open doorway with a blinding white light encompassing the entirety of it.

Thank you, Mr. Fox... Good luck. She stood and left the now empty cup on the table, then slowly trotted toward the door, holding a leg lengthways, blocking her eyes to protect them from the light.

I bid you the same, Seeker. He smiled at her as she trotted out, disappearing into the light.

So it went well, huh, sis? He dropped whatever act he was putting up.

I guess you can say that, yes.

Brilliant... You've done well. I'm proud, the fox said while casually levitating the kettle toward him and refilling his cup. The handle shone with the same purplish colour of Seeker’s magic, practically identical.

Do you know what Stage 3 will be? I never got the chance to get the specifics.

The fox poured Cardinal her cup too. Whatever it is, it’s progress toward our personal destruction. So cheer up, sis. Have a drink! It’s about time we had something to celebrate!

Cheers! The fox raised his cup with the purple magic. Cardinal soon did the same with her wing. Cheers, she said, although reasonably quieter, still with a smile. Then, what was previously Seeker’s cup also rose, this time shining with the Magenta aura of the key, and with it, a soft whisper emanated from the strange key.

Cheers.


Diamond paced to and fro at the side of Seeker’s chair. It’d been hours since everypony else arrived and was caught up on the situation. The workers have been sitting around in the cafeteria area with an extreme lack of chatter between them. They sat in waiting for anything to happen, tired as the morning crept in and not a wink of sleep was had by anyone in the room. The best they had was the not-so-fresh coffee to keep their heads up. Some of them were terrified of what could happen to Seeker, some others terrified of what could happen to their paychecks, but most were not actually that sure what was happening in general.

In the lab, Surrie and several VR engineers sat watching the monitor intensely, watching the story unfold in front of them. They observed as Seeker, Cardinal, and the fox fazed through a hillside, as if they were seeing something different than they were, or some glitch in the feed. Either way, they had no idea what happened beyond that.

They kinda freaked out about that.

Just a little.

But as the dust (and the several objects thrown around in a panic) settled, a miracle happened.

Seeker’s leg twitched, instantly provoking a response from everyone as they flew out of their seats and rushed around the seat gaping at her to see any further signs of life.

Seeker then nudged her chin up, looking up in a slightly heavier incline, then slipping her head forward in a light stretch.

By the time she began moving and breathing normally, everypony was cheering at the top of their lungs.

Diamond lifted the headset off Seeker as weightlessly and gently as possible, revealing her odd expression as the screaming crowd alarmed her.

“Hey?” Seeker asked, discombobulated from her journey and arrival back.

They all cheered again, giving hoof bumps and hugs all around in the most joyful of delight.

“Calm down, guys, I haven't been away that long...” she said before turning to Diamond, who was at her side, struggling with her restraints in his quickened pace and excitement. “How you doing there, cowboy? Didn't miss me too much, did ya?”

Diamond finally unlatched all of her legs before staring up at her. “Seeker, you can't imagine how happy I am that you’re ok.” Diamond squeezed her tightly in a forceful hug.

“Blessed Tia, what has gotten you so emotional?” She tried to struggle away from him, but it was no use. His fountain of tears did not add to the comfort.

Diamond's joy fell into a sudden guilt, “I'm so sorry for letting you go through with this! I knew we should have waited!”

Surrie, who nearly fainted from relief, had finally hobbled over. “When you guys set it up, it wasn't... How do I say this? Up to standard?”

Seekers half smile dropped into an expression that can only be described by her words. ''What?''

“There weren't exactly many safety precautions online...” Surrie stepped back.

“And that means...” Seeker grew in her impatience.

The entire crowd trailed off into silence, awkwardly awaiting her reaction.

“If you died in the simulation...” She took a sigh. “You would have died in real life.”

As Seeker scratched the back of her ear with her right hoof, she halted, unmoving for several seconds before she asked again. “What?”

She then dropped her hoof to the arms of her chair, looking at them as she noticed they almost stung as they touched other surfaces. Panning one of her eyes over to them, then back, then over once again she screamed, raising her scorched, and half bandaged hooves into the air.

“AGHH! THE FUCK! WHAT THE FUCK!” Seeker began hyperventilating, “HOW!?! HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN?!”

Surrie, not knowing how to calm her down, answered her question as technically as she normally would. “Ugh, its... The simulation works by subjecting your body as if it was in both the real world, since you’re already here, and in the simulated world at the same time, but normally...”

“WHY DIDN'T YOU PULL ME OUT IF YOU KNEW IT WAS SO DANGEROUS? HUH? WHY NOT!” Seeker shouted over her in a rage, not particularly interested in getting an answer either.

Surrie tried to explain, “I couldn't... It would have been just as, if not more dangerous than-”

“DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I COULD HAVE DIED!?! DO YOU KNOW OF ALL THE STUPID SHIT I DID BECAUSE I THOUGHT I'D BE FINE!?!?? I BEGGED FOR HER TO KILL ME AT ONE STAGE JUST TO GET ME OUT OF THERE!” She shouted as loud as she could. Her lungs felt as if they were on the brink of collapsing in on themselves.

All of the crowd glared at her and each other, nopony daring to speak up to her.

“AGHHH!! CAN SOMEONE JUST GIVE ME SOME PAINKILLERS, FOR CELESTIA'S SAKE?!” As Seekers body regained more feeling with the drug in her veins thinning, the pain grew exponentially.

Diamond fumbled some out of the first aid kit he was keeping close, and once he forked them over, Seeker shoveled them down like a gravedigger. She then proceeded to fall into a daze, bobbing her head down until she was completely out of it.

She was then safely disconnected from the system and rushed into the infirmary, where the trained professional doctor could formally medicate her. Her legs were bandaged expertly and she was left on the soft mattress of the infirmary bed, hooked into an IV.

Some of the employees left in the next few hours, seeing that their boss and source of income were now regularly breathing again. The others decided to just collapse on one of the many cushioned couches and avoid the commute back home.

Very few ponies were awake when Seeker came back from her shock-induced mini coma.

Even Diamond struggled at her bedside, dozing off every few minutes before shaking himself back to life.

Seeker flickered her eyes open and her head slipped down to face Diamond. “Hey...”

“Hi.” Diamond perked up and held her hoof in both of his. “You feeling better?”

“I don't feel anything... And I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not.” Seeker looked around the room, then tried to lift her upper body up, but alas her back was to weak to lean even a little bit upward. “Where is everypony? I need to tell them about what happened.”

Diamond's eyes wandered around, seeing that the doctor and Surrie had fallen asleep on the benches along with several others. “How about you tell me first, and I'll get the message out to everypony.”

“It’s about 19946... I spoke to her... I think we’re ready for the final stage.”

Diamond squinted his tired eyes and recoiled his head back, “Are... Are you sure? Shouldn't we analyze whatever data we got from that experiment first? It’s a very big decision to be making while pumped full of painkillers...”

“Its ok... I've seen all the proof I need.”

“Seeker, how about you just rest for now? Let’s worry about this one later, ok?” Diamond tried to lull her back to sleep by speaking softer.

“No... NO!” Seeker tried yet again to muster up the strength to pull herself up, falling down with a small hiss of pain as she failed. “Is Mecha still in the building?”

“Yes...”

“Get him. Bring him to me.”

“But, Seeker...”

“Shhh...” Seeker managed to raise her hoof over his lips as he was leaned in close, “Get him, bring him here.”

He sighed and left the room sulking, within a few minutes he returned with a sturdy, yet short grey-scale stallion on his tail, looking as if he had just gotten out of bed.

“Ye' boss? You wan'ed me boss?” He spoke with a strong city accent.

“Mecha, we’re moving onto stage three, so I want you to get that body functioning asap, you got it?” Seeker gave the order between breaths for air and tiresome yawning.

“Ye' I got it there boss, I'll get it spick 'n span.” He picked up a wrench in his muzzle from the various selection of tools provided to him in the front pockets of his oily and greased up overalls. He trotted out whistling a delightful tune.

Seeker turned over, feeling the pins and needles sting her hooves as she did so, looking at Diamond who sat back down at his original seat. “Okay, Diamond... Now can you get Rewire and get her here?”

“Of course, Seeker.”

Diamond continued fetching ponies for Seeker to tell for nearly the entire next hour, after which, she had successfully organized enough of her crew to begin progress on stage three. The all to familiar echoing of mechanics and computer fans had returned to a regular working day.

Seeker’s condition continued to improve as she fell asleep once more. Diamond like a loyal dog (or perhaps another description of a dog) didn't ever leave her side, but he did finally give in and sleep for the first time in nearly two days.

The facility came to life throughout the morning as files were prepared for transfer. The body was assembled and set up to allow such a transfer. The logs were collected of the simulation and the findings observed and studied. More scientists and engineers arrived after their trips home and were caught up on the situation before rushing to work.

Despite the recent tensions, every single pony in the facility was beaming with joy as all of their years of work was going to now pay off. They were now on the final stretch before they could reveal their invention to the world.

Seeker woke up, now in significantly less pain. She was glad when she saw Diamond was still with her. She nudged him on the shoulder and he panicked, nearly falling out of his chair before regaining awareness and, more importantly, balance.

“Sorry if I startled you, Di, you looked really peaceful...” Seeker whispered in a worn, soft voice.

“I'm fine, don't sweat it.” Diamond fixed his glasses.

“I want to thank you, and I'm sorry for shouting earlier... But it really did fucking hurt.” Seeker cracked a smile. “At least it was worth it. Thanks to your help, we might actually get something done for once...”

“Don't mention it. I'm just doing my job.” Diamond sheepishly remained humble.

“I will mention it, cause when this is over, we’re going to need a new job, and if news gets out that you were one of the main drivers of this project, you'll be able to get any position in Manehattan you could dream of.”

Diamond raised his head in glee. “Yeah... That would be great.”

Seekers grin widened into something more playful. “But before we talk about the medal you’re going to be getting, I want to ask you something.”

“Go ahead, anything.” Diamond inquisitively waited for her question.

“If this is it, and our job is done here... We may not see each other too much after this... At least professionally.”

“Oh... Right.” Diamond's spirit fell by the slightest smidge.

But Seeker was not finished. “So I'm kind of hoping to see you more for a less professional reason.” She winked at him.

“Excuse me?” Diamond, still unused to their mutual interest in each other, did not catch on right away.

“I'm saying, do you want to go out for coffee sometime? There's this great place just a block down from my apartment, much better than the automatic dispensers we have here for sure.” Seeker chuckled to herself.

Diamond mumbled a few of his words but managed to spill out an answer. “Oh... Oh! Uh, yea! I'd love to. That would be fantastic.”

“I was hoping you'd say that... Now, where is my progress report on this whole stage three business?” Seeker successfully edged herself up the pillow to as close to a sitting position as she could manage without pulling a muscle.

“Let me ask around.” Diamond hopped up, now all giddy inside, and trotted out the door.

It was quite a while before he returned, leaving Seeker with plentiful time to be with her thoughts, thinking all of her plans through of what she will do after this whole mess.

Many ideas for holiday destinations came to mind. Also future careers, but nothing held her attention long enough to be fleshed out.

But one thing she did decide upon was to definitely never work with AI again, that was for sure.

Seeker jumped up as Diamond burst back through the door, almost ten minutes later.

“Diamond! What’s wrong?!” Seeker said, on the edge of her mattress.

Diamond got his breath back before finally stating, “It’s your mother... Twilight Sparkle wants to speak with you.”

Seekers eyes flashed open, “Is she here?!?”

“No, but she called saying she will be tomorrow, early morning.”

“Do you know what its about?”

“She only told me one thing.”

“What!”

“She’s very angry.”