• Published 10th Oct 2017
  • 1,403 Views, 35 Comments

The Secret Diary Of Diamond Tiara - deadpansnarker



We haven't really seen much of Diamond Tiara recently, have we? Let's get a sneak peek of her diary to see what she's been up to, I won't tell her if you don't. Written to commemorate two years since Crusaders Of The Last Mark aired.

  • ...
3
 35
 1,403

Entry one

Hello there, you unremarkable blank collection of paper bound by a card spine, you.

The first entry in a journal is always the most difficult, especially for somepony who isn't used to doing this sort of thing at all, but Miss Cheerilee seems to think it'll help to gather all my thoughts together for posterity, so one dipped quill later here I am to give it a go. Wish me luck... hope I'm not too boring!

It's been two years since I realised the true significance of my Cutie Mark.

Two years since I became 'the pony I want to be'.

Two years since my mother stopped bothering me, and agreed to let me live my own life...

Okay, that last part was a blatant lie. But we can all dream, can't we?

I'm sitting here in my four poster bed, writing this now (in the best pink ink, naturally) when I should be asleep, because I fear I haven't been very active for a while.

Well fear not everypony, just because I don't speak much anymore or get involved in proceedings as often as I used to, doesn't mean I've stopped living my life altogether!

I'm currently shooting the breeze, lurking just under the radar, chilling in the background, waiting for my big moment to arrive once more.

Something tells me I have at least twenty-six more chances to make my triumphant return. How do I know this? I have no idea... it must be one of those weird prophetic instincts we ponies have.

For instance, some mornings I would wake up thinking 'I'm going to be a newspaper editor today' or 'I will tryout for the Crystal Empire Games'. Then, it would just happen. Crazy, huh? Some real next-level stuff, right there.

Just recently though, my mental urges on that front have fallen a bit silent. Nowadays, my ambitions seem to extend to just sitting quietly at my desk or moving my mouth to other random foals.

I say 'moving my mouth', because no actual words come out. So, unless my listener is highly proficient at lipreading, I'm afraid my attempts at communication might be a little bit wasted. Yet for some unknown reason, I keep pointlessly flapping my jaw away. Weirder and weirder.

Even stranger is the fact that my growing irrelevance seems to have coincided with my successful attempts at 'reforming' myself. Naturally, I assumed I'd be invited to more social activities because of this, especially with my new friends: The Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Sadly, that doesn't appear to have been the case. While they're gallivanting off around the world helping lucky fillies and colts out with their destinies, I'm stuck here avoiding Mother like the plague or going out with Father to buy purple flowers for her on Mare's Day.

It's not like she ever appreciates what we do for her, anyway. Whether she be relaxing at the spa, languishing at home or sitting in her office pretending to work, her default settings seem to be 'arrant boastfulness' or 'outrageous narcissism'.

Sometimes, I just wish she could once again be the caring, sharing parent she was when I was born. My memories of back then are hazy to say the least, but I clearly recall being held close, being told I was the sweetest filly alive and that she'd love and protect me forever...

Yeah, that worked out really well, didn't it? I don't know what transformed her from being a devoted mother who'd do anything for her daughter, to a pompous blowhard prone to chewing out me and my classmates publicly, but here we are.

I suppose I should just try to make the best of the situation, despite often feeling like just a useless prop to get her a modicum of social acceptance. I still have my Father when he isn't away on business, and dear old Randolph, acrobatic skills and all.

Just the other day Daddy asked me what I want to do when I grow up. I told him I want to put my leadership skills to good use and help the community at large. He seemed very amused by this and said, and I quote: "Why don't you run for mayor one day, then?"

Obviously he was joking, but as he gave me my goodnight kiss and turned my nightlight on, it kind of got me thinking: why on Equestria not? The current incumbent is seen even less than me these days, and with the exception of a picturesque castle springing up overnight, Ponyville hasn't been properly developed in years.

I'm not saying it's going to become the next Canterlot or anything, but I'm positive our charming little town has a lot more potential than we believe at the moment. Further on in this book, I plan to have a section where my diagrams and schematics can be stored away for future reference. I may be young, but there's nothing wrong with planning ahead, right?

I could get Silv to help me, but it is with great sorrow I report that I may be seeing less and less of her in the future. You see, very soon she'll be attending an exclusive advanced cookery course in Manehattan, as per her Cutie Mark. Obviously I'll miss her, but we all must fly the nest at some point and I don't want to stand in her way...

Oh, who am I trying to kid?! I'd miss her like I'd miss my tiara if it ever fell off my head and got broken, or stolen by some ne'er do well. I may have plenty more friends now compared to when I was a spoiled brat, but none of them will ever be as close to me as good ol' Silv, the only pony who really believed in me from the beginning.

I've already wept buckets upon hearing the sad news of her departure (seriously, I need to get round to emptying them at some point) but there's little else I can do about it, aside from running up the platform waving like a loon as the train rushes by to take her from my life.

Who's going to keep me on the 'straight and narrow' path now, if I ever have a little slip-up with my behaviour? I'm not so confident in myself yet that I don't need a support system in place...

Who will help me with my essay next week, entitled 'The Defeat Of The Storm King'? Silv always comes up with the best words and assists me with my spelling, I may end up having to consult a dictionary and a thesaurus... gulp.

And who am I supposed to confess the identity of my crush to, when she's gone far, far away? I refer of course, to the love of my life: a certain patchwork colt who ran against me in the class election and has the cutest voice and the most adorable little tuft...

Oops, perhaps that's a little too much information. I better wrap this up for now, lest I start revealing even more of my most private and personal secrets. I gotta get a lock for this thing. After all, I know how nosy mother can be, pun intended.

'night all.

Your friend DDT xx

Author's Note:

I meant to write a fic based off the events of my favourite episode on it's first anniversary a year ago, alas life and inertia got in the way and I never got round to it. :facehoof:

I almost forgot today as well, but thanks to a handy little invention known as a 'calendar' my memory was well and truly jogged, so here you are. Thanks for reading! :raritystarry: