• Published 13th Oct 2017
  • 671 Views, 159 Comments

Elements of Heroism: Season 5 - Bahamut0



Burst and hif friends pretty much have the best life possible. However, a new player has entered the scene. Calling himself "The Element of Justice". But why is he here? And why does he seem fixated on Burst Stream?

  • ...
9
 159
 671

Episode 13: Doubts

Shadow rustled in his bed. A pained expression on his face as he twisted and turned before waking up with a start! "STARLIGHT!" He screamed as he woke! Shadow panted heavily as the rest of his body caught up with him, and he rubbed his face. "Again. The same dream." Shadow sighed, and headed for the bathroom. Splashing himself with cold water. "Just...don't think about her Shadow. Just don't think about her." Shadow muttered to himself as he returned to his bed. However, no matter how many times he told himself not to think of Starlight Glimmer, it only served to further etch her into his thoughts.


The next morning
Ace and Ice were at the table having breakfast. It seemed like any other morning. However, the two were shocked to see Shadow's state of being. "Shadow...what happened to you last night?" Heavy bags were under Shadow's face. "You look awful!" Ice stated.

"Oh, morning guys...." Shadow said with a yawn. "Don't mind me. Just had some trouble sleeping last nigh..." Shadow then promptly collapsed on the floor! A few hours later, Shadow awakened to the concerned faces of his brothers. "Ngghhh....how long was I out for?"

Ace breathed a sigh of relief. "A few hours." He then steeled his gaze. "Shadow. Tell us what's wrong. Please."

"It's nothing." Shadow said as he brushed off Ace's hand. "I'm fine."

Ice shook his head. "I know you're lying Shadow. We both do. More importantly, I know you're afraid. You're still thinking about that girl, aren't you?"

"...Fine. I admit it." Shadow said with a defeated sigh. "I blame myself for her running away." Shadow looked at the floor in shame. "Every time I go to sleep I find myself dreaming about her. And each time she either runs away, or vanishes. Or worse, she screams at me. Saying I ruined her life. And it hurts. It hurts so much...." Shadow then slammed his fist against the floor! "How can I deserve to be on this team if I can't even save one person on my first big mission?!"

Ace took a deep breath. "Shadow...it's not your fault. Sometimes, people don't want to admit that they're wrong or that they need help. And you can't force them to."

"I should know. I was one of those people." Ice added. "Maybe Starlight will realize this soon. But Shadow, you don't know what she's been through. Or what made her this way. But you do know she's hurting. And getting her to admit to that pain is part of the healing process. So far, it looks like she doesn't want to. You DO deserve to be an Element of Heroism."

Shadow sighed as he got up. "I'm going back to bed." Shadow retreated to his room, and threw himself onto his bed. However, a new unpleasant dream reared its head.

"Shadow...Shadow help me!" Starlight's voice called out!

In his dream, Shadow looked frantically around for the source! "Starlight?! Where are you?!" Shadow then saw Starlight before him. Broken and crying. "Starlight!" Shadow made a break for Starlight, but chains suddenly wrapped around him! Restraining him as he reached his hand out! "Starlight!" Shadow groaned as the chains further weighed him down! "Let me go! STARLIGHT!" Shadow kept on screaming as tears started to fall from his eyes! "All my fault...this is all my fault!" And as Shadow cried, the dream around him began to fade as Nightmare Moon appeared in the dreamscape. Shadow noticed her presence. "Moon...have you been giving me these nightmares? I know I screwed up! I don't need you to keep tormenting me with it!"

"Shadow...these nightmares aren't of my making." Moon said as she shook her head. She then pointed at Shadow. "They're you're own. As are the chains that bound you earlier. Because you doubt yourself. You doubt being an Element of Heroism."

Shadow sprung up to his feet! "And why shouldn't I doubt myself?! Because of me, someone who needed help ran away! Someone who's hurting so bad on the inside! HOW AM I FIT TO BE THE ELEMENT OF COMPASSION WHEN THE ONE WHO NEEDS ME THE MOST THINKS I RUINED THEIR LIFE?!" He then fell to his knees. The outburst draining most of his energy. "I'm so weak and pathetic...."

"Oh, Shadow..." Moon said as she wrapped one of her wings around him. "You're wrong about yourself. If you don't believe me, ask Ice. I've seen his dreams. During the time he lost his way, you were there to show him compassion. Despite all he'd done, you still accepted him. Both you and your bother woke him from his nightmare. You ARE strong Shadow. All because you're such a compassionate person. That's all the more reason as to why you're worthy of being an Element of Heroism. But I think I know why you place so much blame on yourself. You felt something resonate within you when you met Starlight Glimmer, right?"

Shadow wiped his tears. "Yeah. Some small part of me felt...drawn to her. Like I was meant to meet her."

"Then that connection will bring her to you again." Moon said with a small smile. "And maybe do so much more."

Shadow tilted his head in confusion. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"No spoilers!" Moon said with a giggle! "Rest well Shadow. I'll craft you a new dream. One you will live for when you return to the waking world." And with that Moon vanished as Shadow's dreamscape changed. Once more, Starlight was before Shadow. But this time, she hugged him tightly. And Shadow slowly wrapped his arms and wings around her. However, at the core of his being, a dark mass began to form. And sooner or later, Shadow would have to face it. But for now? He was at peace.