• Published 15th Nov 2017
  • 4,500 Views, 239 Comments

The Storm and the Scorpion - BronyWriter



Prince Antares and his sister have to navigate an Equestria occupied by the Storm King and his army.

  • ...
24
 239
 4,500

Regrouping

I laid next to Rapids and watched her chest rise and fall. Occasionally she'd twitch and whimper, but she didn't wake up. I didn't doubt that she was having horrible nightmares, and likely had been having them for quite a while. Once I'd freed Luna I'd have to have her help Rapids with that. She didn't deserve everything that had happened to her in the past few weeks. Heck, she didn't deserve what happened to her during the war. I grimaced and draped one of my wings over her. She grunted and nestled deeper into the feathers as she opened her eyes.

"Prince Antares?" she whispered.

I gave her a comforting smile and nodded. "Yeah, I'm here. Don't worry, Rapids, you're safe. We've retaken Baltimare, and we're going to retake Canterlot very soon."

Rapids whimpered and flinched back in a way that rather reminded me of Fluttershy. Her jaw wobbled and tears began welling up in her eyes. "They told us that they had killed you. They said they had your body strung up outside of Canterlot Castle."

I shook my head. "Clearly not. They came pretty close, but I came out on top in the end." I gently nuzzled her, and she relaxed a little bit. "Now, if you aren't up for it, that's fine, but I want to know what happened after the Storm King took Canterlot."

Rapids whimpered and curled up into a ball. Tears streaked down her face and she raised up a hoof to wipe them away. "W-we retreated out of Canterlot once it became clear that the city was lost. Prince Shining Armor, Night Stalker, Raining Skies and I all regrouped back here and gathered every soldier we could to fight them. W-we set up a defensive perimeter around the city and got every civilian we could into the center of the city so that they wouldn't be in the fighting. Every able-bodied stallion and mare was conscripted into the army. We barely had enough weapons and armor to arm them, but we were fighting for our homes.

"Their airships arrived within a day. We tried to send up a pegasus force to take them down, but they were shot out of the sky while their ground troops poured into the city. We couldn't fight them back with the forces we had. Us commanders tried to organize the mess into an effective fighting force, but th-they were killing so many of us! I don't know what happened to Raining Skies, b-but Night Stalker was hit with two arrows, and the Storm Creatures dog-piled Prince Shining Armor and kept stabbing him. I wanted to help him, but I just... froze. Everywhere around me ponies were dying and... and pegasi were falling from the sky." Rapids's breathing became heavier and her tears fell faster.

"I saw Tempest fighting, and for a moment I just thought if I could kill her then maybe we'd have a fighting chance. I had a clear shot at her with my spear. I just needed to throw it and she'd die and we could fight them back. That's when she killed the pony she was fighting and turned straight at me. She grinned at me and her horn started crackling and I just... ran. I dropped my spear and ran as fast as I could in the other direction. We were losing and with the other two dead and one missing the troops needed somepony to rally them but I just ran! I was a coward!

"I ran into an alleyway and tried hiding behind some trash cans. I hid my head under my wings and tried not to hear the sounds of the battle. The screams of ponies fighting and dying just wouldn't stop! I don't know how long I laid there, but eventually the battle died down and I was left there, wallowing in my own cowardice. I heard the sounds of hoofsteps coming toward me and for a moment I thought that we'd won. When I looked up I saw that it was Tempest. She had the nastiest grin on her face, and she told the Storm Creatures to grab me. I wanted to fly away, but my wings wouldn't move!

"I was grabbed by two Storm Creatures and dragged out into the middle of the square where they'd already strung up Night Stalker's body. I don't know what they did with Shining Armor. T-Tempest told them to take off my armor and hold me down. I thought... I thought they were gonna..." Rapids shuddered, but after a moment she continued. "Tempest grabbed a knife, got on top of me and..."

Rapids couldn't continue from there. She just curled up and began loudly sobbing, covering her face with her wings. I had to hold back my own tears as I scooped her up and held her close. She leaned into my chest and held on to one of my forelegs as if I was the only pony left on the planet. After a few minutes of letting her cry, I lit my horn and cast a dreamless sleeping spell on her. She didn't need to remember what had happened.

I gently laid her down on the bed roll and pulled a blanket over her before standing up and walking out of the throne room. Kristen was talking with Grorim, and both of them stopped their conversations when I approached.

"How is she?" Kristen asked.

I grimaced and shook my head. "She's... it's going to be hard for her. She'd been through a lot even before all of this, so I'm not sure what's going to happen once this is all over. I'll do my best to help her, but I don't know if she's ever going to go back to the way she was."

"I am sorry, Antares," Grorim said. "I know she was a good soldier and a loyal friend."

"Yeah," I muttered. "Yeah. We'll do everything we can to help her, but for right now, I'm not optimistic." I shook my head and pushed those thoughts aside. I'd deal with Rapids once I'd taken Equestria back. "Any more news?"

"We've freed the civilians and are doing our best to feed them," Kristen said. "They, uh, burned your church down. There were some ponies in there and..." Kristen's wings fluttered uneasily. "Also, um... we found Shining Armor. What was left of him, anyway."

"I see. What happened?"

"They strung him up in a different part of the city," Grorim said. "Right outside the entrance. I guess to deter anyone from coming in. We're not sure what happened with their heads. It's hard to interrogate the Storm Creatures. They don't speak our language."

"Leave that to me," I said. "I have some ideas of how to get them to talk."

"TD, don't do any--"

"End of discussion, Kristen." I turned my attention back to Grorim. "Where are they?"

"We've taken them to your palace dungeon," Grorim said. "I have some of my finest guards making sure they don't try anything."

"Good. I'd like to talk to them, then," I said as I began walking in that direction. I heard Kristen groan from behind me, but I ignored her. She didn't have the stomach for the kind of nasty work I had to do to protect my country. She probably would eventually, especially after the invasion, but for the moment she still needed to grow up a little bit.

The three of us reached the dungeons where, as promised, a group of minotaurs were guarding the dozen or so Storm Creatures we had captured once we'd taken the city. All of them averted their eyes as I passed the cells. I smirked at them. Guess they didn't like it so much when the tables were turned. I took a deep breath and made it to the final cell at the end of the hallway where a single Storm Creature was sitting on the floor in the middle of the cell. His armor was a little more ornate, showing me that he was some kind of leader. He'd do.

"TD, I don't like this," Kristen muttered.

"We have to find out what has happened to Canterlot since we've been out of the country," I said. "I'll try to make this as painless as possible."

I lit my horn, which made the Storm Creature look up. When he saw me he let out an almost pig-like squeal and tried running around the cell in a vain attempt to stop whatever I was going to do. I caught him in my magic and pulled him right to the bars. He thrashed around, but that didn't stop me from putting the tip of my horn onto his forehead. He instantly stopped thrashing around and went limp in my grasp. My eyes went white as I poured magic into his mind.

"Who are you?"

The Storm Creature twitched and whimpered. "Name Tinra," it groaned. "Loyal soldier of Storm King."

"Why have you invaded my country?"

"Heard tales of pony magic. Pony treasure. Storm King wanted treasure. Wanted power. Wanted to control world. Might of alicorns too good to resist."

"Where are you from?"

"Land far away. One many weeks away by airship. Land of poverty. Storm King gave us purpose. Gave us glory. Gave us might. Storm King rules over many lands."

"What has happened to Canterlot?"

"Alicorns drained of magic. Won't beat Storm King. Will drain your magic. Will be unstoppable. Will control night and day itself."

"What of my daughters?"

"Storm King drained all alicorns."

My heart sank and I exchanged a glance with Kristen, whose eyes were wide in horror. Even Grorim was shifting uncomfortably. I glared at the Storm Creature and went back to my interrogation.

"What happened to the heads of the captains?"

"Taken to Canterlot. Put on pikes outside palace. Unsure of where pegasus captain is."

"And the Element bearers?"

"In chains in catacombs. Will publicly execute them upon your defeat. Want to wait until Storm King's might is absolute."

I felt a little stress wash away at the news. Even if the Elements couldn't wield the Elements anymore, they were still a beacon of hope for Equestria. They were symbols and national heroes. If we could rescue them, that would help us a lot. I put more magic into my horn and prodded a little deeper into the Storm Creature's mind.

"Where is your army?"

"Withdrawn back to Canterlot. Will inflict your final defeat there, then we will have total control of your country for good. Will move on to other nations. Slaughter soldiers. Enslave populace. All will serve the Storm King in the end. None shall oppose him once he has your magic."

Yeah, we'll see about that. If the Storm King thought that, he had another thing coming. I'd take him and put his head on a pike before this war was over, then, once I felt content, I'd erase even the memory of him from the history books. It would be like he had never existed at all.

"What are your tactics? How do you think you shall beat us?"

The Storm Creature groaned and I felt him trying to fight back against my mental attacks, but he was never going to win in a fight against an alicorn. I forced more magic into his mind, and he twitched and began whimpering. I hit the point where I could see every single one of his memories if I had wanted to. Instead I just focused my attention on the Storm King. He began thrashing about more violently and foaming at the mouth a little bit. I saw his memories of the Storm King. He was a satyr dressed in black armor with a rather unpleasant look on his face. He carried some kind of staff that I imagine he'd used to drain my family's magic.

I probed even deeper into his mind and saw his usual tactics. True to my guesses, he'd never fought a defensive war before. His blitzkrieg tactics had always destroyed any resistance to his assault. His airships proved to be his biggest advantage, as most of his targets couldn't fly up to meet them in combat. I saw that Tempest was a recent addition to his army, joining him in a forest setting less than a year previous.

"TD, that's enough!"

I snapped out of my prodding when Kristen put her hoof on my shoulder and shook me. I powered down my horn, causing the Storm Creature to flop down onto the ground in a weak heap. I stared at him as he twitched, and I had no doubt that I'd completely destroyed his mind. For the briefest of moments I felt a shred of pity for him, but that quickly faded away when I remembered what he had told me and what he was. With a quick spell I stopped his heart, letting him slip away peacefully.

"I must admit, I had not expected him to reveal those things, Antares," Grorim said quietly. "You are right: the Storm King must be stopped at all costs. What he has done to your children is beyond twisted."

I didn't respond, choosing instead to walk out of the dungeon with Grorim and Kristen following closely behind me. Kristen put on some speed to walk alongside me.

"TD, I know we have to stop this guy. We have to rescue your family. Do you have any plans on how to stop him? Something beyond just throwing your troops at him and seeing if you can break past his lines?"

"I'm thinking, okay?" I growled. "I know it's going to be an advantage to have the griffin army, but we have to be careful so that they don't share the same fate as the pegasi defending Baltimare. I have to talk to the other leaders about it. Now that we have an idea of what we're up against, we need to be smart about this. One thing I can assure you of, though: the Storm King is going to pay in ways he never even imagined."