• Published 6th Oct 2017
  • 6,182 Views, 518 Comments

The Redemption of Tempest Shadow - twilightsparkle3562



Tempest Shadow attempts to redeem herself for her actions against Equestria.

  • ...
29
 518
 6,182

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 70: "After the Battle"

It was over. The battle in the Everfree Forest was over and the healing process had already begun. Opening her eyes, Tempest found herself in an all too familiar place: hooked to a bed inside Canterlot hospital.

"Well," A voice remarked. "You have managed to survive death at the hooves of a murderous pony. Impressive." Tempest turned to see the Friendship Festival crown next to her on the nightstand. The crown had been almost fully put together thanks to Tempest's acts of forgiveness.

"You might as well say that," Tempest sighed, looking up at the ceiling. "And I couldn't really blame him for wanting to kill me. But, surely he knew that killing me and spilling my blood wasn't going to bring his family back."

"When a pony’s heart is hardened to the point of murder, such logic is all but lost on them I’m afraid,” The crown bitterly commented. “And I’m certain that Princess Celestia will hand down a swift and mighty punishment on him, just as you did on me."

"Must you bring that up again?" Tempest groaned, giving the crown a disgusted look. "I thought that we’d moved past me stepping on you and crushing you into a million pieces. I mean, cut me a little slack here, will you? I was hunted down and nearly killed for pony's sake!"

"Think about it for a minute," The crown remarked. "You experienced how it feels to be hurt. While there are ponies who wanted you to be punished or even killed, they couldn't bring themselves to do so. Your race isn't violent by any means necessary, but you chose to be violent and you killed ponies. If you hadn't…"

"That's enough!" Tempest cried, causing the crown to shudder slightly. "That's enough," A hushed silence fell on the room and after a few moments, Tempest broke the silence.
"I'm sorry," She apologized, looking towards the crown. "It's just that…after all I’ve been through, I can't bring myself to accept the position of Twilight's Royal Guard Captain. I see now that even if I became Captain, there will still be ponies who wish I was dead. I need time to consider my options. Maybe Royal Guard Captain isn’t the role I’m meant to play."

At that moment, the door to Tempest's room opened and in came Razzle Fizzle followed by Twilight, whose injuries in the battle had been bandaged up. "Fizzlepop, thank heavens you're alive!" Razzle Fizzle cried, reaching down and hugging her sister tightly. "I thought for sure I was going to lose you!"

"Well, you didn't lose me, Razzle,” Tempest commented, a smile forming on her face despite her current state. “The doctors said that I'm going to be in here a while with a few broken bones. But this time, what’s broken will heal. How are the other princesses?"

"Celestia and Luna are going to be in here a few days as well," Twilight answered. "Fortunately, I was able to sustain only minor injuries. How are you feeling, Tempest?"

"Sore, tired, drained,” Tempest answered. “Twilight, listen, I've been doing some thinking and…"

But, Twilight placed a hoof on Tempest's mouth and silenced her, almost as if she knew what Tempest was going to say. "I know what you're thinking," She interrupted, lowering her head down briefly. "You need time to get yourself back together mentally and physically, is that it?"

"Yes." Tempest confirmed.

"Well, I am a little disappointed you aren't going to stay here after all, but I understand your feelings, Tempest.” Twilight commented.

"I will come back eventually, Twilight," Tempest reassured, trying to keep Twilight on a positive outlook of the situation. "But, I think for now, I need to go around Equestria and proclaim the Storm King's death, while also performing acts of kindness to those I had affected. My actions have spread far beyond Canterlot, you know. Who knows how many other potential Instant Justices are out there? I can’t take back the terrible things I said and did, but the least I can do is strive to make amends and help Equestria to heal."


At that moment, the door opened again and in came Grubber, who hastily made his way over to his friend's bedside.

"Let me guess," Tempes chuckled, trying to put a little humor on the situation. "You've been worried about me, too, is that it?"

"If you were wondering, then yes, I was,” Grubber confessed. “In fact, I couldn’t help overhearing what you were just saying."

"About going around Equestria and doing random acts of kindness?" Tempest asked, to which Grubber nodded.

"Grubber," Twilight suggested. "If you want to accompany Tempest on her journey, then you can do so. But the door is always open for you two to return, and for Hannibal to return as well."

“That's very nice of you, Princess Twilight," The hedgehog beamed, glancing over to her. "I guess I share a sense of responsibility just as much as Tempest. Being a chef here has made me realize that I need to go around and feed creatures who are less fortunate than me. Ever since that homeless pony died that one night…" Grubber couldn't finish his sentence and briefly turned away to compose himself.
"I understand," Twilight sighed. "You're a good soul, Grubber. You were led in the wrong direction, just like Tempest. All that you need right now is guidance and support, and when the time is right, you can both return here and rebuild your lives."


Just as Grubber and Tempest were about to fully embrace what they needed to do, another knock was heard at the door.

Jack McColt came into the room, holding a piece of paper in his aura. "Princess Twilight," he said, handing the paper over to her. "This order is needed for your signature."

"What is it?" Twilight asked.

"It's a death warrant for Instant Justice, he was just found guilty of treason," Jack coldly answered. "In accordance with the law, he is to be hanged in Canterlot in three days time for treason against our kingdom."

Without hesitation, Twilight signed the warrant. "He deserves it after all he did to Equestria," She commented, firmly handing the death warrant back to Jack. "In most cases I would say even he deserves mercy. But he tried to kill me, Celestia and Luna for the sake of getting to Tempest. It’s clear that there can be no hope of redeeming him, and banishing or exiling him simply risks the chance of him doing this again. Where he’s going, he won't be with his family. It’s a shame that his own actions will deny him the thing he wanted most."

"It's really unfortunate," Jack sighed. "He let his rage and desire for revenge get the better of him and now he's going to pay with his life."

"Where is he now?" Tempest asked. “Is he somewhere secure?”

"In the Canterlot dungeons. and he will stay there until his execution." Jack answered.

"Why is there no trial?" Razzle Fizzle demanded. "I mean, shouldn't there be at least a trial?"

"According to the royal sisters," Jack answered, walking to the door of the hospital room. "He doesn't deserve a trial because all of the evidence was pointed right at him from the moment he started this whole farce. His rights have been stripped and he will have no privilege to making any last statements. If the sisters were able, they would preside over the trial themselves. But since they are unable to do so, we are left with this last resort."

With those words, Jack departed and left the alicorn princess, unicorn sisters and one hedgehog alone to absorb what had just been said. Instant Justice, the pony obsessed with avenging his family, was going to die for his crimes.

PreviousChapters Next