• Published 5th Oct 2017
  • 1,982 Views, 212 Comments

Bermuda Beginnings - ScarFox9700



The REAL story of Flight 19, and what happened in Equestria as a result of a pilot's arrival

  • ...
26
 212
 1,982

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 22: Back to Ponyville, Dreams Take Flight, and......Cutie-Marks? (Part 2)

A few hours later, the train arrived in Ponyville. Once it had pulled into the station, it was the same process as before, except in reverse this time. Now the plane was unstrapped from the gondola car, moved with magic until it was off of the train, and Taylor left it under the protection of Iron Company, he helped unload all of the luggage from the train. Then, once that was complete, with Iron Company providing security and directing traffic, and Princess Celestia and the two nurses walking behind, Taylor and the Airplane 8 began to move the plane from the station platform, and through the streets of Ponyville.

This time though, in addition to the crowds, there were also a number of reporters and journalists as well. They had caught wind of what was happening, and they all hurried to Ponyville as fast as they could.

"This is history in the making!" One of them was saying. "The first Human in Equestria is about to embark on the first flight in a powered vehicle!"

As he was pushing, Taylor looked at the reporter. "So, you mean to tell me that Equestria doesn't even have airships, zeppelins, or other means of flight besides wings?"

The reporter shook her head. "No, we do have balloons, as well as airships and zeppelins, however, they are not powered, at least, not yet. Work is currently underway to help remedy this problem. Maybe your flight today will show the skeptics of powered flight that they are wrong."

Taylor nodded. "Maybe you're right, provided of course that this plane really will fly."

As they kept moving, they had to pass the hospital. As they did, in the midst of patients waving from the windows, Taylor spotted Ensign James. He was being pushed in a wheelchair by a nurse, but because of the crowd, he didn't see Taylor, and didn't hear Taylor shouting.

"Hmm, well, he probably can't hear me because of the crowd. Hopefully he's coming to wish me luck on my flight."

Eventually, after rolling the plane through town, on the outskirts, Taylor spotted a large field. It was lush, green, and very long. Possibly long enough to serve as a makeshift runway. Taylor stopped to examine it.

"Why did you stop Mr. Taylor?" One of the engineers asked.

"That field", Taylor pointed to it. "It looks to be just what I'm looking for." He then turned to the crowd. "Um, excuse me, but does anypony know who owns that field over there?" He pointed to it. "It looks long enough to use in the flight test."

"Yes, my family owns it."

Taylor turned to see who had spoken. He spotted a somewhat aging, brown Earth Pony stallion wearing overalls, and a farmer's hat.

"Hello, my name is Stinkin' Rich. I own that field over there. And I must say that it is a pleasure to finally be able to meet you, Mr. Taylor." He shook Taylor's hand.

"Likewise, I'm sure, Mr. Rich. Anyway, I was wondering if you would be so kind as to allow me to use your field to attempt to fly my aircraft."

Stinkin' Rich cocked his head to the side. "What exactly do you mean by 'use my field to attempt to fly your aircraft'?"

"I just mean that in order for my plane to fly, I need a flat stretch of ground that it can roll on to gain speed. No real harm will come to your field, I can assure you."

Stinkin' Rich thought about that. "Well", he said at last, I recon I let you use my field, provided of course that you buy some of my zap apple jam."

"Zap Apple Jam? What's that?"

Stinkin' Rich smiled. "Probably the best jam anywhere in Ponyville. I sell the first batch, and the Apple Family sells the rest. I still have a few jars left."

Taylor nodded. "You've got yourself a deal Mr. Rich. I'll be sure to pick up some of your jam before I'm done here. Now then", he turned to the crowd, let's get ready for that flight test, shall we?"

The crowd cheered, as the plane was moved into the field. Once the plane was turned facing away from the crowd, Taylor climbed up, and flipped the switches that lowered the wings back down to their proper positions. Once that was complete, Taylor climbed back down to talk with Redheart, Starlight, and Celestia before he took off. As he was walking towards them, he saw Ensign James in his wheelchair.

"Well, it's nice to see you here James. Are you coming along for the ride?"

James shot him a glare and a half. "I wouldn't fly in that metal death-trap again if it would save my life! Plus, I'm still trying to recover from my injuries! Maybe some other day, but not today!"

Taylor nodded. "Ok, if you say so James, it's your call. But if you stay here, I'm going to need somepony to monitor the radio."

"Radio? What radio?"

"This radio." One of the engineers presented James with some radio equipment. It was the rough equivalent of what was used on Earth with the Navy, and very close to what James had used before.

"Ok, sure thing Taylor! I'll just be right here, manning the radio!"

Taylor smiled. "That's good to hear James. Now then, this is optional, but my plane can hold another two individuals besides myself. There's space for a turret gunner, as well as a torpedoman. James has declined wanting to come along, but if anypony wants to, (preferably an adult!) They can come along for this test flight, provided of course they know the risks that they take!"

At Taylor's suggestion, Ponies at first seemed interested, but when they heard from Taylor the dangers, all of them declined. Well, almost all of them.

"I'll fly with you Taylor."

Taylor turned and saw Tinker. "What? You will? Are you sure that you really want to do that Tinker?"

Tinker nodded. Sure. Even though I am a unicorn, it has always been my lifelong dream to fly. I'll come with you."

"And so will I!"

"But Mr. Rich, why?"

He smirked. "I have to. I have to make sure that you'll actually fulfill your end of the deal, and buy some of my jam! I know that you're probably an honest fellow, but one can never be too sure!"

Taylor shrugged. "Well, if both of you are sure that this is what you really want to do, I guess that you can come along. Now then, the question remains; who wants the torpedoman seat, and who wants the turret?"

Tinker looked at Taylor. "I guess that I could take the turret gunner's spot. That is, if Mr. Rich doesn't want it."

Stinkin' Rich shook his head. "It's all yours Captain Armor, I don't want it. I just want to come along for the ride. I don't have to see everything."

Taylor nodded. "Ok, that settles it I guess." Taylor then turned to Celestia and the two nurses. "Well, wish me luck with this you guys."

Be careful Mr. Taylor, and you too Tinker!"

They both nodded. "We will Miss Starlight."

"Good luck on your flight boys!"

"Thank you, Princess Celestia!"

"Come back to me safe and sound Taylor", Redheart was nervous for him.

"You got it Miss Redheart."

She placed one of her hooves on his shoulder. "If you do, and if you were interested in us beginning dating, then it shall begin!'

Taylor hugged her. "That would be so nice Miss Redheart. You've got yourself a deal!"

After he, Tinker, and Stinkin' Rich walked back to the plane, they of course posed for photographs that would be in the next day's paper under the title, "Dreams Take Flight! Amazing Aircraft Test in Ponyville!" There were even a few film cameras recording the event, as well as it being broadcasted on the radio.

Once the trio was all back at the plane, Taylor opened the lower door. "And this is where you two will be sitting." He pointed out both the torpedoman's seat, as well as the seat for the turret gunner. "And please be careful when you boys climb inside. As I told the two nurses, this plane was built for humans, not ponies."

They both nodded. "Sure thing Taylor."

"Tinker, you'll climb in first, and up to the gunner's seat, and strap in. Then, once he's ready, you'll climb in Mr. Rich, and sit right here." He pointed to the seat just inside the plane.

They both nodded. "Ok Taylor."

With help, Tinker climbed inside the plane, and once he was up in the gunner's seat, he tried to figure out how to buckle himself in. "Yeah, you were right Taylor, these planes were meant for humans, not Ponies! But you sure have a great view from back here!"

Taylor climbed in and helped him strap in. He then helped Stinkin' Rich into his seat, and buckled him in as well.

"Are both of you guys comfortable?"

"Roger that Taylor!" Tinker called.

"Yes Mr. Taylor," Stinin Rich added.

"Any questions before I close this hatch?"

"Um yes. Seeing that we are cut off from you in the cockpit, how do we communicate with you?"

Taylor picked up the headset that was hanging on the wall, and handed it to him. "With these. These are radio headsets that will allow us to communicate with each other while in flight." He showed both him and Tinker how to use them. "Do you guys understand?"

They both nodded.

"Ok good." Taylor climbed back out, but just before he shut the door, he stopped. "Oh, and one other thing. Feel free to look all you want, but please try not to touch anything besides the seats, seatbelts, radio headsets, and handles. Everything in here is extremely complex, and if you were to touch the wrong thing, it could damage something."

"We won't touch anything Taylor." Stinkin Rich reassured him.

"Ok, good." Taylor then closed the door, and headed back up the plane to the wings, so that he could climb into the cockpit.

"Are you nervous Mr. Rich?" Tinker asked.

He nodded. "Yes, I'm really starting to wonder what I've gotten myself into by agreeing to do this."

Tinker shrugged. "I'm sure that it'll be fine. After all, I don't think that Taylor would have brought us along if he knew that it wasn't safe."

"I certainly hope that you know what you're talking about Captain Armor. Not only for my sake, but for yours as well."


Meanwhile, Taylor had finished closing the door, and he made his way back to the wings, and once he's climbed up onto them again, he climbed up to the cockpit. Once he was there, he waved to the crowd one final time, before he sat down in his seat. The first thing that he did was flip the switches that turned the radio on.

"Ok, this is Taylor from the cockpit. Do you guys hear me back there?"

"This is Tinker in the turret, I read you loud and clear Taylor!"

"And this is Stinkin' Rich in the tropedoman's seat. I also read you loud and clear."

"Ok, that's good, now I'll just check with the external radio." He switched frequencies. "Central Radio, Central Radio, This is Lt. Charles Taylor onboard TBF Avenger TF-28, also known as Blue 1. Do you copy, over?"

"Blue 1, this is Ensign James from Central Radio. I read you loud and clear, as do those close to me, and those ponies with microphones who are recording this for both their records, as well as their radio audiences."

"Affirmative CR." He switched frequencies so that everypony in the plane could hear what was said outside, and vice versa. "Ok boys did you hear that? This entire flight is being recorded live on the air. This one's for the history books, so watch your language!"

"Roger that Taylor!"

"Affirmative Mr. Taylor."

"Ok CR, I'm beginning my preflight checklist. This should take a few minutes, over."

"Roger that Blue 1. Take all the time that you need."


After a few minutes of flipping switches, checking gauges, and making sure that everything was ready, Taylor radioed James again. "Ok CR, my preflight checklist is complete. Are we clear for engine startup, over?"

"Affirmative Blue 1. The area is clear. Fire up when ready."

"Copy that CR." Taylor then radioed the back of the plane. "I'm starting up the engine, are you guys ready?"

They both gave the affirmative.

"Ok, Standby, Engine starting up!"

Taylor then flipped the startup switches, and then pulled the ignition knob. Unlike the previous time the night before, the engine roared to life after only spinning for a few rotations.

"CrR, we have engine startup. Are we clear to proceed to taxiing, over?"

"After a few moments of silence, the reply came. "Affirmative Blue 1. The crowd has gotten back behind the line that Iron Company has drawn up, and everypony is eagerly awaiting the outcome of this test, over."

Taylor smiled. "Well, tell them that their patience is about to be rewarded. Here we go!" Taylor then closed the cockpit canopy, and fully strapped himself into his seat as well. He then pulled on his flight helmet, and once that was ready, he radioed back, "Brakes coming off!"

He then moved the plane forwards a bit, and then he turned to the right. After going forwards, he turned left. Then, after completing a full 360 degree circle, he then moved the plane back to the edge of the field, and turned it into the wind again.

"What are you doing Taylor?" Tinker asked. "Why aren't we flying yet?"

"I'm just completing our taxiing tests. These were just tests to make sure that the plane could move fine on the ground. Now that those are complete, it's time to attempt a take-off. Hang on!" Taylor then called James one last time. "CR, This is Blue 1 again. We've completed all of our taxiing maneuvers. Are we now cleared for takeoff, over?"

After a few moments of silence, a reply came. "Affirmative Blue 1. You are cleared for takeoff!"

"Roger that CR!"

Taylor then applied the brakes, and after revving the engine up to takeoff speed, he released the brakes, and the plane began to race off down the field. Taylor had pulled back on his control stick, but the plane just didn't seem to want to lift off of the ground. He could feel it trying, but there didn't seem to be enough power to get airborne again.

Come on!" Taylor growled, "Come on! Don't fail me now old girl!"

Then, just as the plane passed the point of no return, (the spot of the field where it was either take off now, or crash) The plane's wheels suddenly left the ground, and for the first time since the crash, Blue 1 was, (rather shakily!) back in the air!

"YAHOOO!!!!! WE DID IT!" Taylor cried. "WE'RE FLYING AGAIN!!!!!"

"YAHOOO!!!!!!" Tinker cried.

"Um, yeah, great Job Mr. Taylor, we're actually flying!"

The crowd on the ground was also beside themselves about Taylor's success.

"Well folks, that's history in the making for you. Just moments ago, Lt. Taylor, Capt. Armor, and Mr. Rich just successfully flew the first powered flight vehicle in Equestrian history. They will now be forever remembered in the history books. Let's just hope that they can land safely back on the ground! This is Newsflash, reporting for Ponyville Radio 112!"


Meanwhile, back up in the sky, Taylor and Co. were having the time of their lives. After banking to the right, Taylor then began to fly North, over Ponyville. He leveled out at about 1,000ft., and let the others enjoy the view down below.

"Wow, this is so amazing Mr. Taylor. I never thought that I would ever get to see Ponyville from the air."

"Then it was my pleasure to be the one to show you, Mr. Rich."

"I can't get over this either Taylor", Tinker was saying. "Flying is so cool! No wonder the Pegasai love it so much! This is friggin amazing!"

Yeah, no kidding." Taylor agreed. "I always felt so free when I was flying. It's such a liberating experience to be able to fly."

They continued to circle around Ponyville for a while longer, but unfortunately, their flight was about to be cut short. One of the ailerons on the left wing, the same wing that had snapped off when Taylor crash landed, suddenly came loose, and began to bang around.

"Hey Taylor, I'm starting to hear a loud banging noise back here. What's going on?"

"I'm not sure Mr. Rich, however, my wing controls are starting to get a little stiff." Taylor then looked behind him on both sides. Sure enough, he spotted the loose aileron. "Uh oh, that doesn't look good."

"What? What doesn't look good?!"

"One of the ailerons on the left wing has come loose."

"And how serious is that Taylor?" Tinker asked.

"It's not the end of the world, however, we should probably land before that tears off, and possibly drags something important with it." Taylor then radioed James. "Mayday, mayday, mayday! This is Blue 1, we've got a small situation up here, and we're going to have to cut this flight short."

"This is CR, what's going on Blue 1, over?"

"CR, one of the ailerons on the left wing has broken loose, and is banging around. I'm going to land before the damage gets any worse. Over."

"Can you make it back to the field, over."

"Affirmative CR. Our Eta is less than 2 minutes, over."

"Affirmative Blue 1. And you're cleared to land when you get here."

"Copy that CR."

Sure enough, about 2 minutes later, the field came into sight. "OK boys, this is it. Hold on tight, I'm going to land this plane."

"And we're going to be ok, right Mr. Taylor?"

"Affirmative Mr. Rich. It was just a broken aileron. Nothing too serious. I'm an expert pilot, so, if we exclude the Flight 19 'incident' that resulted in my arrival here, we should be just fine."

Stinkin Rich nodded, and he and Tinker kept quiet for the duration of the landing. Sure enough, just like Taylor had previously predicted, the landing went off without a hitch. Once the wheels were down, they made contact with the grassy field, and aside from a few bumps and jolts, when Taylor applied the brakes, the plane slowly came to a complete stop.

Once the plane was stopped, Taylor shut off the engine. Then, after opening the cockpit hatch, he took a quick look at his watch. His flight had begun at 1:11pm, and had ended at 1:20pm. A grand total of almost 10 minutes. "Well, it was only 10 minutes, but still, that's better than nothing I guess."

For some weird reason, Taylor began to feel a weird sensation on his thighs. It was not pain per-say, but it was somewhat unsettling. "Huh. I wonder what's going on with me?" He wondered about this for a few moments, but then he remembered the aileron. "Yeah, I should probably go have a look at that."

He then unbuckled his seatblets, and after removing his flight helmet, he climbed out of the plane, and once he was back on the ground, he was able to fully assess the damage. The busted aileron was still on the plane, but Taylor saw that it was going to have to be repaired/replaced.

"Crap!" Taylor mumbled to himself, "That's torn it. Now I'll have to ship the whole darn thing BACK to Canterlot, have the aileron repaired, then have it sent BACK to Ponyville just to see if it works!"

While Taylor was still muttering about this, he opened the rear door to the plane, climbed inside, and after unstrapping Stinkin' Rich, he helped him out of the plane, before doing the same for Tinker. Once they were all back outside of the plane again, Redheart and Nurse Starlight ran up to them to see if they were hurt.

Taylor and the other two took a brief check.

"Nope", Taylor said after looking himself over, "I'm fine, but the plane's got a busted aileron that'll have to be fixed before it can fly again." Taylor then put his hands on his hips. "However, I have this weird, tingly feeling on my thighs though."

"Does it hurt?" Redheart asked.

"Not as to be pain, per-say, but it does feel weird."

"Do you want me to take a look at it?"

Taylor nodded. "Sure, I guess."

Once the test was declared over, and the crowd had begun to disperse, Taylor lay down on the grass underneath the left wing, and let Redheart examine him. (Most ponies had left at this point, save for a few major fans, a handful of reporters, Iron Company, Celestia, and of course Tinker, Stinkin' Rich, Ensign James.)

"So it's your thighs that feel weird Taylor?"

Taylor nodded. "Yeah, it's like a weird, tingly feeling."

At Redheart's command, and with Nurse Starlight, Tinker, and Stinkin' Rich deliberately standing in such a way as to be blocking the view, Taylor pulled his pants down, and let Redheart look at his thighs. (And yes, he was still wearing his underwear!)

"Oh my!"

"What? Do you see something?" Taylor asked.

Redheart just looked at him with tears beginning to form in her eyes. "Looks like somepony finally got their Cutie-Mark!"

"WHAT?!?!?!" Taylor was shocked, and demanded proof.

Once he'd turned enough to look at his thighs, he just stared in shock. On both of his upper thighs, close to his rump, as clear as day, was the same US Navy Insignia that was on both the body and wings of his plane.

"How is this even possible?!" Taylor cried. "Humans don't get these!!!"

"Never?" Redheart asked.

"No, never!"

Redheart smiled. "Well then, congratulations on being the first!"

All Taylor could do was lay back down on the grass, and try not to faint. He was so shocked by this recent development, on top of his achieving flight accomplishment.

"Oh boy", he murmured, "What have I gotten myself into this time?!"

Author's Note:

Whoa. First Taylor got his plane flying again, and then he got a Cutie-Mark for it?! WHAT?! Well, like he said, this certainly is going to be a very interesting development! What's going to happen next? Will Taylor ever get his plane flying again? And when will he and Redheart have their first date? Well, the answers to all of these questions and more will be answered in Chapter 23, so stay tuned!

Also, I would like to take this time to say something. I would just like to say, thank you. Thank you to everypony who's been reading this story since the very beginning, and have read it up until now. Thank you for sharing it with others. All of you are the reason that I keep writing. I was so nervous when I put out the first couple of chapters of this story. I wasn't sure if anyone was going to even bother reading it. Sure enough though, the numbers of reads kept going up, and feedback began to come. I made a few adjustments here and there, and I kept writing. You all as fans are the lifeblood of any author's work, so again, I would like to say, thank you for reading my story.

It has been my genuine pleasure writing for you, and I hope that you enjoy the rest of this story, as well as its two upcoming sequels, and the rest of the stories that I have planned after that. I know that it's going to be a wild ride, and I'm glad that you're coming along for it!

And, as always, Comments, and feedback, as well as sharing my story, are always appreciated, and I'll see you all in Chapter 23!

ScarFox out for Now!

PreviousChapters Next