• Published 1st Jun 2018
  • 3,048 Views, 42 Comments

The Rejected - Soufriere



With Finals Week quickly approaching, Rarity needs to work through many issues. Sunset Shimmer is busy and of little help. Flash Sentry will have to do.

  • ...
3
 42
 3,048

Chapter Three: An Uneventful Journey

Outside the rarely used East Exit in the pleasant warmth of a mostly sunny Spring afternoon, the grounds of the CHS campus were now empty thanks to the students’ Pavlovian response to the bells. Rarity looked around her, slightly awed at the sight of the deserted grounds. Sunset sighed, her mood content yet a touch jaded.

“The bells control your existence,” Sunset said. “So many of these students will be in for the shock of their lives when they get out into university or the real world and there are no bells. No asking permission to use the toilet. No stupid hall passes.”

Rarity nodded slowly. “I always hear that, but to me it seems difficult to believe, even though the Carousel lack bells… aside from the little ones attached to clothes as a cute little accessory. Oh! Might you want something like that, Sunset? You could wear just about anything we sell.”

“No.” Sunset said bluntly as she shook her head. “I’m a simple girl with simple taste in clothing. Fancy is your thing, and you can have it.”

“But you simply must let me fit you for a ball gown someday!” whined Rarity as she started messing with Sunset’s long two-tone locks. “And let me style your hair. It’s already lovely now, of course, but a new hairdo could bring out a whole new Sunset.”

“I appreciate the gesture, really, but… for now, I prefer to be as plain as I can be,” Sunset said, gently redirecting Rarity’s hands. “Like that wall over there.”

Sunset pointed to an eight foot high concrete wall several yards away stretching north-south, separating the playing fields from the rest of the school grounds, painted light grey and broken by a gate at one point, the skeletal steel underbelly of bleachers rising behind it.

“That wall is so dull,” Rarity said.

“That wall is No-Man’s-Land,” replied Sunset with a knowing smirk. “Have you ever noticed it rarely gets graffitied? There’s a reason for that.”

Rarity cocked her head. “And what would that be?”

Sunset pointed up. Looking, Rarity saw the security cameras.

“The whole thing is a massive setup,” explained Sunset. “So much so that when the groundskeeper wanted to build a hedge maze in that expanse of grass between, the principal shot him down because it would interrupt one camera’s line of sight. Anyone who tags that wall gets caught by those and earns a one-way trip to suspension city. I was never stupid enough to try, but I’ve known more than a few who have. Schmucks.”

“Um,” Rarity vocalized with a tinge of uneasiness in her voice. “Aren’t we liable to be seen by those cameras and get in trouble?”

“No,” said Sunset confidently. “We’re in their blind spot right now. I’ve been to the security room; I know where they’re aimed. You’d have to get a lot closer to the wall for them to see you.”

Rarity nodded slowly. “So, then, which way do we go to get off the campus?”

“Hmm,” Sunset rubbed her chin. “Can’t go south. Junior High Annex is that way, and I think you know exactly what would happen if your sister happened to see us.”

Rarity pinched the space between her eyebrows. “Sweetie would tell everyone, including mom and dad, who would never let me hear the end of it. They already think I’m going down the wrong path in life.”

“Why in the world would they think that?” Sunset asked, surprised.

“Becoming friends with you.”

Sunset shrugged. “Ah. Well, they’re not wrong. After all, I did nearly drive you to kill yourself your freshman year. And… it shreds me up inside to know that, back then, I wouldn’t have cared if you had.”

“But you would care now?”

“Of course I would!” said Sunset, incredulous. “No one but me deserves to be put through that hell.”

Rarity placed her hands on Sunset’s shoulders. “You don’t deserve it either, darling.”

“…That’s not for either of us to decide,” Sunset said, dully. “Anyway, south is out; east is out; only way to get off these grounds right now is north, which is fine, since we were going to turn that way eventually.”

“But that takes us…”

“…Right past all the classrooms, putting us in plain sight. I know. I also don’t care. All your fellow worker bees will be busy being lectured at, and anyone who looks out the window will get in trouble for that before they can rat us out… and I doubt anyone would turn you in. People like you. They could always narc on me, but it wouldn’t make any difference since, well, I’m above most of the rules here.”

They began walking north, sticking close to CHS’s main building, ducking under whatever windows they could for Rarity’s peace of mind.

“Why is that, Sunset?” Rarity asked in a stage-whisper.

“The administration and I have kind of a quid-pro-quo relationship,” Sunset explained in a slightly softer whisper. “Do you understand?”

Rarity scrunched her face in concentration. “I have certainly heard the term, but I cannot remember its exact meaning at the moment. Sorry.”

Sunset let out a soft chuckle mixed with scoff. “Probably for the best you don’t. After all, the last thing I’d ever want is for my best friend to get in any trouble.”

“Best friend…” said Rarity softly, her tone betraying a whirlwind of emotions.

“I’ve never had one before, so I suppose you could do better,” Sunset said with a shrug. “If I know me – and I’m pretty sure I do – I’ve probably made an infinite and mounting number of mistakes with you already.”

“Well…” Rarity began to say before trailing off. Silence regained, the two girls continued slowly making their way to the north edge of the campus, Sunset holding Rarity’s hand to help guide her. Rarity looked nervously around her like a moving sentry on the lookout for a surprise attack.

“Rarity, it’s okay. Calm down,” Sunset said, squeezing the girl’s hand more firmly for reassurance. “You’re acting like me; that’s not a good thing.”

“I-I’m sorry, dear. It’s just… I’ve never… actually cut class before.”

“You rebel, you,” Sunset said dryly. “Let’s be honest; being a bad girl isn’t in your blood. Not like me.” She let out a sigh. “I wonder… if you knew all the awful things I’ve done over the course of my life, would you still follow me like this? Would you even want to be around me?”

“Darling. Whether you meant to or not, you taught me a valuable if harsh lesson that hellish year: When one’s been destroyed, one must pick up oneself and move on. It’s the only direction one can go and still live. Who you were is not who you are, and we both know that,” Rarity explained.

“Why is it that the most valuable things people learn from me come from my being an irredeemable jerk?” Sunset griped. Rarity placed her hand on Sunset’s shoulder with a disarming smile.

As they rounded the northeast corner of the building, they eventually reached the horse statue on its massive marble pedestal. Sunset walked up to its southern face, the one closest to the school building, and knelt down before it. Rarity stood behind her, shuffling her feet for a moment before kneeling down herself. Slowly, Sunset reached out her hand, contemplating her fingers for a moment, and pressed her palm against the sheer polished surface. The seemingly solid wall vibrated, resembling a sort of cross between a soap bubble and mercury, a faint light engulfing the outline of her hand.

“It’s still open,” Sunset said, her affect unusually flat. “Since arriving in this world ten years ago, I’ve only gone there and back again – or I guess back and here again – once. It would be so easy for me to just… jump in. Go ‘home’. Be a magical Unicorn again. But…”


Rarity, steeling her guts and her expression, grabbed Sunset and twirled her around so they were facing each other, their noses practically touching.

“Uh, Rarity?” Sunset said in complete confusion.

She did not have time to say or think anything else as Rarity moved in and planted her lips against Sunset’s. Her eyes remained open in shock as Rarity’s closed, revealing the full extent of her sky blue eyeshadow. Rarity’s hands slipped from Sunset’s shoulder to her back, creating a vice-like yet tender embrace. Sunset had not known a sensation like this since her disastrous year dating Flash… and this felt different, more genuine for both of them. Sunset allowed herself to give in at least to a point, letting her eyelids droop as she brought her arms around Rarity’s own back, returning the kiss as best she could. Her lips were soft, Sunset noted; no shock given the girl’s attention to beautifying herself. An eternity passed in a minute. Finally, Rarity broke the embrace, her bone-white skin throwing her deep blush into sharp relief, leaving a thoroughly surprised (and also blushing) Sunset.

“That…” Sunset attempted to say, but Rarity cut her off, placing her index finger on Sunset’s mouth.

“I love you.”

Sunset merely sat there, still in shock as Rarity shifted position, her eyes suddenly welling up with tears as she reached out her arms.

“Farewell, my darling.”

Rarity pushed Sunset backwards into the portal; Sunset only had enough time to utter a gasp before being enveloped by the blinding light.

Once the light had faded, just as quickly as it had appeared, Rarity surveyed the scene. The love of her life was gone, possibly forever. Satisfied at her job well done, she proceeded to break down into a bawling mess on the sidewalk where anyone and everyone could see, but she no longer cared.


“…It’s not time yet,” Sunset said as she sighed in sadness and disgust, shaking her head before turning to face her friend. “Uh, what are you doing?”

Rarity, realizing her hands were in the ‘push’ position, immediately shifted herself to sitting cross-legged, hands safely in her lap. “Er, sorry about that, dear. I guess my brain went on a little trip.”

“Clearly. You need to be careful around this portal,” Sunset gestured to it with her thumb. “It may not be a one-way trip anymore, so far as I know, but it will mess you up if you go through it. In fact, I can’t say for certain what would happen to you since you’d be a foreign body and there’s another you on the other side.”

Rarity nodded. Silently, she stood up, extending her arm to help Sunset, who thanked her for the gesture and used Rarity’s wrist for leverage.

“Well, we’ve made it this far, and the school day doesn’t officially end for about two hours.” Sunset said. “Where do you want to go? My place? Or perhaps a café?”

“Hmm…” Rarity said, blushing slightly. “We could go to your apartment.”

“Probably safest. It’s close, reasonably quiet this time of day, not too many cops in the area,” Sunset concluded as the two girls proceeded in that direction.

“Er, question first. Have you cleaned it in the last month?”

“No comment.”

Rarity facepalmed with an audible slap as she shook her head.

“You know, dear, I know a thing or two about cleaning. When I was too young to have a real job, I cleaned houses, either for relatives or just neighbours. You could hire me on one of my off days. I’d even be willing to do it in a maid outfit! (at no extra charge for you, darling)” said Rarity, exasperation in her voice.

Sunset chuckled. “I’ll, uh, think about it.”

As they stepped off the campus into illegality, Rarity touched Sunset’s arm to get her attention.

“Why did they build this school where they did?” she asked.

Sunset smiled. “Well, it’s pretty centrally located, when you think about it. Easy access from all parts of the city – Downtown, the upscale Western Tracts where you live and where Crystal Prep is, the Wrong Side of the Tracks in the east, the more modest southern neighbourhoods, and of course the Farmlands on the north side of the river. In fact, I wonder if this school – specifically that statue – is the literal geographic centre of this city and, by extension, this world.”

“That sounds like quite a theory,” Rarity said with a small degree of awe.

“Yep,” said Sunset with a nod. “And that’s another reason I don’t feel ready to leave yet. There are so many unanswered questions about my adopted home. I suppose now that I have the drive to get out of bed again, thanks to you, I should start researching it in earnest as my next project.”

“Um, Sunset?” asked Rarity tentatively.

Sunset cocked her head, smiling slightly. “Hm? What is it?”

“Well, uh, you’re clearly… more intelligent than the average girl. So… why did you not go to Crystal Preparatory? What made you decide to enroll in CHS?”

“Ah. That,” said Sunset with a sigh of resignation. “Partly it was my lack of documentation – they won’t accept non-Citizens. But, more than that, it was irritation at people during my first year here who kept asking me if they knew me from there. Having to tutor a few of their idiotic legacy students later on gave me a pretty sour taste for the place. But I suppose the better question is why you didn’t go there. You’re likely intelligent enough. Certainly driven.”

Rarity sighed. “My parents couldn’t afford the tuition for both myself and Sweetie, so they opted to keep both of us in the public system. Fluttershy also missed out – her test scores got her in, but she told me its atmosphere was so oppressive that she had a panic attack in the middle of its ornate foyer and had to be forcibly removed.”

“Poor girl,” Sunset said with utmost sincerity. “I feel like I don’t engage with her enough.”

“Um, given what happened the last time you two were alone together, I’m sure you can understand why she’s kept her distance,” said Rarity, stifling a laugh.

“Point taken. I mean, I don’t remember what I did, but you’ve told me things. Sweet Celestia, I’m useless, aren’t I?”

“No, dear. But we ought to redirect your homesickness away from eating hallucinogenic plants in the future, yes?”

Sunset nodded as they reached yet another crossing, this one controlled by a light.

Heading ever north, the grass and most trees quickly disappeared, replaced by brick, concrete, stucco, or marble-clad buildings of increasing height on either side, along with, of course, parking garages. Sunset gestured to a handsome dark brick edifice with stained glass windows soaring several feet above them. The high-pitch roof stopped partway up to make room for a castle-like bell tower. It was impossible to tell if a bell existed due to the tower’s slatted shades. Atop the edifice sat a gold-coloured (probably brass) sun on a conical plinth.

“A kirk,” Sunset said simply. “I pass it almost every day, but I’ve never been inside.”

“Why not?” asked Rarity, not out of shock or disgust, but mere curiosity.

“I spent over seven years of my life growing up in direct contact with the closest thing my world has to a god – technically demigoddess, but you get the point,” replied Sunset. “That kind of experience, especially considering She and I ended up… not on the best of terms… makes whatever passes for worship here seem meaningless. Granted, She never liked being worshipped either. Regardless, I’ve always been curious about that aspect of this world’s society.”

Rarity nodded. “Well, I rarely attend, except for the Spring and Winter high-holy days when my parents make us, but perhaps we could go to one together?”

“I’d rather sneak into one of these places when a service isn’t happening, explore, and draw my own conclusions to satisfy my curiosity, but, I won’t rule it out,” said Sunset with a shrug.

“Fair enough.”

Shortly after the two girls crossed Seventh Street, as they made their way down the cracked, uneven sidewalk, a police car pulled up beside them. Sunset rolled her eyes and uttered a Classical Equestrian curse word so foul it would have caused Princess Celestia to wash Sunset’s mouth out with soap. Rarity, for her part, immediately began to panic, her eyes darting every which direction, hands fidgeting, feet shuffling.

“It’s all right. I think. Let me handle this,” Sunset said quietly, patting Rarity’s back softly for reassurance as a uniformed officer stepped out of the car.

Luckily for everyone, Sunset did not know this particular cop. He had light chestnut skin, close-cropped dark brown hair, and a permanent five o’clock shadow. In addition to being slightly pudgy, he wore no cap, though he did have a truncheon and a barely-visible pistol holstered on his belt. The man approached the two girls with an intentionally neutral expression.

“Good afternoon. I’m Officer Garrano,” he said with clearly fake pleasantness. “Shouldn’t you two young ladies be in school right now?”

As he reached for his cuffs, Sunset reached into a pocket in her backpack, causing the cop to immediately shift stance and move to his gun instead. Rarity emitted a high-pitched terrified whine.

“Hold on, Officer Ga-ha-no,” Sunset said, showing her hands as she over-enunciated his name. “I’m just trying to get my ID out for you. Surely I’m allowed at least that right, right?”

“Fine,” he said, “But I’m watching you.” He pointed at his eyes and then at Sunset, his face locked into a frown.

Sunset dug around in her bag for a few seconds until she produced a laminated card and a small piece of red cardstock. “My name is Phoenix Rays, Canterville’s premier tutor. Here’s my business card. If you’ve got a kid struggling in whatever subject, send ‘em to me, and I’ll set ‘em on the path to success,” she said with utmost confidence. After letting Officer Garrano look at that card, she handed him the laminated one. “And, here is my ID.”

Rarity stared at Sunset, mouth agape. Officer Garrano, meanwhile, studied the ID, tilting it against the light to check for the hologram bits. He narrowed his eyes as he looked back at Sunset.

“This appears to be genuine. But your hair is different,” he said, clearly suspicious.

“Yes. I got highlights. Is that a crime in this town now?” Sunset snipped.

“No,” the officer admitted. “But it’s hard for me to take this ID seriously. It says you’re 25, but all I see when I look at you is a high school girl.”

Sunset returned a half-smile. “At this point in my life, I wonder if I should feel flattered by that remark? Or should I still be offended? I’m short and I have a youthful face; neither of those are crimes yet, I assume?”

“So, what about your friend here?” he gestured to Rarity, who involuntarily shrank back.

“Well, she is a high-schooler,” Sunset said. “I pulled her out of afternoon classes because she needs some extra help in studying for her morning classes’ finals – those exams are next week, you know. She gets very panicked about these things, as I’m sure you can tell just from looking at her. She requires a quiet environment and direct engagement, neither of which the public school can provide. I think her parents would be very upset if you sent her back there in direct contravention of their wishes. It’d also be a waste of their money and my time.”

Officer Garrano’s frown deepened. “Something about this still doesn’t add up.”

Sunset rolled her eyes. “Fine. Fine!” she snapped. “Do you want to me to call CHS’s vice principal and waste her time? I’ll be glad to. Rarity, phone please.”

With a shaking hand, Rarity handed Sunset her cellphone. Sunset quickly dove into the call history and pulled up a number, selecting it to dial. Sunset tapped her foot impatiently, waiting for a response, which came on the third ring.

“Luna? It’s Phoenix Rays. Huh? Yes, I know I prom— Look, I’ll be blunt; I’ve got a truant officer on my ass because I pulled Rarity out of clas— Yes, her again. No! I swear, you and Flash both… Anyway, could you please tell this pig what he needs to hear so I can do my job? What? No, we’ll discuss that tomorrow. Ugh, fine. Thank you.”

Sunset handed the phone to the officer, who listened for about a minute before suddenly sporting a look of shock and sputtering out some nonsense words that resembled an apology. Then he hung up the phone and handed it back to Sunset, along with her ID and business card.

“It seems I was too hasty in stopping you two. Have a nice day,” he said before getting back into his squad car and speeding away.

After he was gone, Rarity stared at Sunset for a long time in simultaneous shock and awe. “How did you do that?” she asked.

“With these,” Sunset said, reluctantly handing Rarity the cards.

Rarity looked at the ID, a Class-M (two-wheeled vehicle) license. The photo was clearly of Sunset, except she was wearing thick glasses and had long straight crimson hair. The name thereon was indeed ‘Phoenix Rays’, listed her address – 700 West 5th Street, Apartment 416 – noted her non-citizen status as required by law, and gave her age as 25. The business card had Sunset’s sun motif as a logo and read simply:

Phoenix Rays: Canterville’s Top Tutor – Any Subject; Reasonable Rates; Call: (604) 555-3245 or Email: phoenixraystutoring[at]pmail[dot]com

After a long moment of silence, during which Sunset’s pulse noticeably quickened as she twiddled her thumbs, Rarity finally spoke. “This is the most impressive fake ID I’ve ever seen!”

“Huh? Oh. Yeah. Well, you know I don’t ever do anything halfway. Besides, how else could I get around in a foreign land?” Sunset said as breezily as she could (which wasn’t very) as she gave Rarity a light push in the direction of her apartment building and they resumed walking.

“That makes sense. I guess I just never think of you as a foreigner. Even though you are,” said Rarity.

“It took a little while to get used to this place. Now that I have, I wonder where my home really is…”

“Darling, I’ll tell you where your home is. It’s right around this corner,” Rarity indicated. They had reached the side of the century-old brick building Sunset had called home for a decade. Sunset looked to her right and sighed with relief that her moped still sat unmolested in its spot.

“Can’t argue with that,” Sunset admitted with a tired smile, which immediately vanished as they turned the corner and found a familiar figure standing in front of the main entrance.

“So, you did leave, just like you said you wouldn’t,” said Rarity, annoyed.

Flash Sentry shrugged. “I lied. Shouldn’t shock you; I learned from the best.”

“You flatter me,” Sunset said, obviously not flattered.

“You’re impressive,” Flash responded. “I didn’t think you’d be able to talk your way past Garrano; he’s a hard-ass for truancy. I really didn’t expect you to pull out your trump card with your girlfriend watching.”

Rarity blushed. Sunset did not notice as she insisted to Flash, “Rarity’s my best friend, not my girlfriend. There is a difference. I think you’ve been reading too much fanfiction again. Or watching too many adult videos.”

Rarity briefly sported a look of forlorn glumness, but neither Sunset nor Flash noticed.

Flash rolled his eyes at Sunset. “I’m a healthy young man who’s struck out with pretty girls three times in the last year alone. What do you think I do in my free time?”

Sunset shook her head and smiled. “You never change.”

At this point, Rarity decided to interrupt the reunion. “Flash? Um, question. How did you know about our run-in with the police.”

Flash reached into his denim jacket and pulled out what looked like a large walky-talky.

“Portable police scanner,” Sunset said. “That’s also how you beat us here; you knew where the cops were and took a different route.”

“So why didn’t you try to help us?” asked Rarity, anger building.

“If it had just been you, Rarity, I would have, without hesitation. But Sunset can handle herself when she needs to. I saw it so many times. It’s one of the few things I could stand about her by the end.”

“I appreciate the damning with faint praise, really I do,” Sunset snarked.

Flash held the scanner at Sunset. “Do you remember when we were on the bus together, going into the Western Reaches for some dumb field trip, and we accidentally found the frequency used by the Hypermart security, so you decided to mess with them to the point they ended up shutting the store for the day? I should have been disgusted, but I thought it was funny. I still do.”

“A good idea is a good idea, no matter how ethically dubious,” Sunset said, unable to hide her grin recalling the incident. “Just goes to show you’re not as squeaky clean as you like to think.”

“Yeah, but I can’t help but wonder… Did you corrupt me?”

Sunset shook her head. “You know the answer. Even at my worst, I can’t corrupt the incorruptible. Rarity here is a great example. After everything I did to hurt her, she still accepted me, and I owe her my life.”

“Flash,” Rarity said. “I’d like you to answer a rather important question.”

“Shoot,” he replied.

“Why are you even here?”

“Well,” Flash said hesitantly. “When I saw Sunset sitting by the statue, it made me think she might seriously be thinking about going back to that crazy magical horse world, so I figured I better beat feet down here and tell her what I need to before she left.”

“I’m not leaving… yet,” Sunset said. “But spit it out.”

Flash sighed. “I’m sorry for how I treated you during your breakdown. I just… didn’t know how bad it was, and I was kinda too ashamed and full of manly pride to admit that to you once you rejoined the land of the living.”

Sunset nodded. “Like I said on the day, there’s so much I should apologize to you for that it would take most of the afternoon. None of us want to deal with that. So let’s skip it.” She extended her right hand. “Truce? Perhaps even friends?”

Flash Sentry started to extend his own hand, then pulled it back as his expression clearly showed the gears in his brain turning, then let out a puff of air through his nose as he reached out to shake Sunset’s hand.

Rarity looked mildly miffed as she oversaw the rapprochement.

“Heh. A meetup of the rejected. The few, the proud, the persistent.” Flash said with a chuckle after he broke off the handshake.

Sunset raised her eyebrows at him. “Looks I’m not the only one dabbling in hallucinogenic plants. Explain please.”

Flash shrugged. “All three of us have had to face being rejected by someone… or many someones… within the last year or more. I’ve blown relationships with three girls including you.”

“Limestone gave you the boot too? Sad. You really should have gone for Maud,” said Sunset, a smirk spread across her face. “She’s insane, but the good kind, and Pinkie’s been wanting to get her hooked up.”

I broke it off, but that’s not the point,” Flash said. “Anyway, you were rejected by the almost the entire school as soon as we got the chance, and you once said some things about your old tutor or something?”

“Well, yes,” said Sunset, nodding in agreement. “But what about Rarity? Who in the multiverse would ever reject a sweet girl like her? I’ll need to give that someone a piece of my mind.”

Flash and Rarity simultaneously facepalmed.

“What? What did I say?” asked Sunset, confused.

Flash looked to Rarity. “Do you remember what I told you?”

“I do,” replied Rarity with a sigh.

“I feel like I’m missing out on something big, and I’m going to feel really stupid once I figure out what it is,” Sunset said. “But, Flash, you’re not wrong about the rejection thing – I don’t take it well. That’s why I dumped you before you could do it to me. And of course I’m constantly thinking about Her and what She must think of me. I just, well, have to work up the courage to face… Anyway, I’m glad you and I can actually talk like normal beings again.”

“Well, that clears my conscience,” Flash said. “Sunset, I seriously hope you’re able to face down all these demons you’ve got. Y’know, you’re pretty cool when you’re not being a conniving manipulative bitch. This girl here,” he gestured to Rarity, “is exactly what you always needed.”

“I know.”

“Now that I’ve said my peace, I’m done here,” Flash said, then turned and walked off towards the restaurant district. “Take care, Sunset. Whatever you do, hopefully I’ll see you around. Sometime. Somewhere.”

Flash crossed the street and eventually left their sights.

“Sunset,” Rarity said, her voice filled with worry, “that sounded to me like a final goodbye. Does he know something else I don’t?”

“No,” replied Sunset. “Flash has always been quick to jump to conclusions. I told you I’m not ready to leave here yet, and I meant it. Now, let’s head up to my apartment. We have some revising to do.”

“Wait, what?”

“Rarity, I’m not the most truthful pon— uh, person in the world, but I really did used to be a tutor. It’s my job to make sure you pass your exams with flying colours. And since you’re my best friend, I won’t even charge you,” said Sunset with some sense of pride.

“You’re actually intending to help me study for finals.” Rarity said flatly, a tinge of disappointment in her voice.

Sunset nodded. “You told me a long time ago that your boss was willing to help you pay your way through a university art design program because she saw your potential or something, right? I think she’d be more likely to do so if you prove to her you’re a model student who wouldn’t waste her generosity.”

Rarity frowned. “Nothing you just said was at all incorrect.” She sighed. “Fine. Let’s get this over with. I have all the books I need,” gesturing to her own backpack.

“Excellent,” said Sunset, almost giddy with anticipation. “I’m looking forward to this! I hope you are too.”

Rarity said nothing, but let out a sigh as she followed Sunset into the building.