• Published 1st Oct 2017
  • 18,048 Views, 1,264 Comments

Just a Little Batty - I Thought I Was Toast



The first day of school always sucks. It's particularly sucky when you're normally nocturnal.

  • ...
23
 1,264
 18,048

Einbruch der Dunkelheit

Every day the sun grew hungrier. Every night the moon grew weaker. The earth razed itself in the fiery heat of summer as the solstice neared once again.

I was sweaty, and stinky, and my wingpits itched like they were crawling with fire ants. My fangs raked across the leathery membranes, but no amount of nibbling let me find relief. It was truly the most miserable time of the year.

Not that my friends would know….

“So, girls, what are your plans for the Summer Sun Celebration? ‘Cause, if y’all ain’t busy, Applejack was thinking of taking everypony to Manehatten to watch Princess Celestia raise the sun.”

As if it could hear its cursed name, the hungry beast poked its head from the clouds to lick us with its flames. Apple Bloom tossed us each an apple, freshly bucked from the tree we were resting under, and I tried to wiggle a little deeper into the shade.

“That sounds great!”

“Count me in!”

“Daddy has a summer home that we could use!”

“It’s a bit small, though, isn’t it?”

“Not anymore, Silver! We added two new wings last fall! How did you forget that?”

“You have a lot of homes, Diamond.”

“Shush, you two. If we’re stayin’ anywhere, it’ll be with my aunt and uncle.” Apple Bloom threw a core at Diamond and Silver. “‘Sides, it still ain’t decided, and somepony ain’t answered yet.” She looked at me, hiding in the darkness as best I could. “What do you say, Night?”

“I… uh… I don’t do the Summer Sun Celebration.” I poked at a fascinating knot in the roots of the tree. Even in the middle of the day, crickets chirped to fill the silence that followed, and I squirmed under my friends undivided attention.

“Say what now?”

Biting my lip, I closed my eyes to the harsh, baleful glare from above. “I don’t celebrate it. I— I can’t. Not after everything the sun witch did.” I bit my lip. “Or rather, what she didn’t do….”

“Uh, Night? You’re not making any sense.” Diamond stepped forward to lay a hoof on my withers.

“Look.” I let out a long breath. “You’re used to thinking about Princess Celestia as some hero—a perfect force of goodness in a bright and sunny world—but me and my dad know better.

“Thestrals…” My ears splayed back as I looked towards the Everfree. “Thestrals never forget.”

“And just what the hay is that supposed to mean?” Apple Bloom crossed her hooves.

“Long, long ago, we saw the signs of Princess Luna’s fall to Nightmare Moon.” I shivered. “We… warned Princess Celestia that she needed to do something, but she didn’t believe us. We pleaded with her. Begged her. Prayed to her. But she did nothing, and we lost the Nightmother because of that.”

Silence hung heavy in the air as my friends waited for me to continue, but I couldn’t find the resolve to. It… wasn’t right. I couldn’t find the words, so I clammed up instead.

“So… uh…” Scoots dared to break the stillness. “...what do you do instead?”

“Einbruch der Dunkelheit.” I sighed, looking down at the ground. “Every year, Dad and I travel deep into Mount Canter to make sure we never forget. Sometimes Mom comes, but usually she has to help with the Summer Sun Celebration. I’d… I’d rather not talk about it if that’s alright with you.”

A group hug tried to fill the quiet, but I wasn’t really up to returning it.

“Girls,” Diamond whispered from her spot at my side, clamped on to me like all the others. “I think I know what we’re gonna do this year.”

I glanced at the cave above us, our cart weighing me down in more ways than one. I was doing a good job—great, even—but the extra additions in the back woke up long dead swarms of butterflies in my tummy. The crusaders were talking, giggling, laughing like it was any other night, and it was making me tense in a way I hadn’t felt since meeting them.

I loved the girls. I really did, but this…

“You alright there, champ?” Dad spared me a glance or two before turning his attention back to the flight. He beat his wings in time with me for once, letting me set the pace, but he was the one really guiding the wagon. “I know it can be… hard… to share this time of the year, but they’re just worried for you. They want to understand.”

“I know….” I gritted my teeth as I whispered, baring my fangs in a mini snarl. “I don’t know why I’m being stupid.”

“It’s a happy holiday for them,” Dad rumbled. “They deserve what fun they can have before we get there.”

“I know….” I flattened my ears. “W-what if they think we’re weird for doing this? It’s not like Ewigenacht and Hearth’s Warming. No pony is supposed to find today fun.”

“Your mother does.” Dad looked into the distance, curving us up and around the mountain. “It’s one of the things I love about her. At the end of the night, when we come home, she always manages to make me smile.” He flicked me with his tail. “She does the same for you too.”

“Mom doesn’t count,” I pouted.

“And neither should your friends.” Dad chuckled. “The fact that they’re trying to understand should be enough. Most day-dwellers just think we’re batty.”

I let the cool Mount Canter air flow over me, pumping my wings a few times before I answered. “You… you think they can manage to keep quiet? I don’t want them to— They shouldn’t—” I bit my lip. “The paean is really important.”

“Well, make sure they know that, then.” Dad smiled. “They were willing to miss the Summer Sun Celebration for you. I’d think asking for a little peace and quiet would be easy.”

“Asking, yes. Getting, no.” I glanced back to see the girls marvelling at the view.

They pointed at this or that in the pale light of the moon, and laughed at the curious bats that darted in and out to play with them. One pup noticed me watching and swooped in to land on my nose, getting a giggle from everypony else and a couple waves my way.

Then, I sneezed, and everypony giggled harder.

I rolled my eyes and turned back to flying the cart. When their laughter died down, there were some quiet murmurings I couldn’t make out, and then there was a lurch and a buzz as me and Dad got some company up front.

“Hey, Night, we almost there?” Scoots leveled off beside me, her little wings pumping at least four times to my one.

“Yeah.” I glanced upwards and pointed. “You see that cave all the bats are coming from?”

Scoots squinted. “Yes? Wait. You mean we’re not going to Canterlot?”

“The Undercity is still a part of Canterlot.”

“The Undercity exists!” Scoots gaped at me.

“Not like the comic books.” I swatted her with my tail. “But, yes, it does.”

“You didn’t tell us you grew up in the Undercity! That’s so— so— so awesome!” Scoots zooped through a loop.

“I didn’t grow up there.” I shook my head. “Mom and Dad had a cloud house near the castle. We only really went down there for holidays and visiting family.”

“So like, Ewigonok?” Scoots completely butchered the word. “You didn’t mention the freaking Undercity when we asked about that. I thought you just had some secret, creepy cathedral built up in the crystal mines or something. A whole city, though? That’s way cooler.”

I couldn’t help it. I giggled.

“I told you we stayed at a cave inn.” As quick as it happened, I schooled my expression again. “How did that not clue you in?”

“Wait, like an actual inn?” Scoots blinked, and I nodded. “Oh….”

“Yes, oh.” I tittered again only to bite my lip at the sound.

“Are you alright, Night?” Scoots frowned and buzzed closer until our wingtips were almost brushing. “You’ve been kind of… angsty since we asked if we could come with you.”

Dad snorted from next to me. “Guess she’s an early bloomer.”

“Huh?” Scoots and I both scrunched our faces.

“Nothing.” Dad chuckled. “You’ll get it when you’re older.”

“Ooookay?” Scoots shook her head and turned back to me. “Seriously, though. It’s okay that we’re coming, right?”

“Yes, it’s okay….” I glanced away, and Scoots flew to our other side to keep looking at me.

“Are you sure? You’ve been nothing but down in the dumps for the last few days.”

Einburch der Dunkelheit is anything but a happy holiday, Scootaloo.” Dad came to my rescue. “It is a reminder of what was and what could have been. If Princess Celestia had simply believed us when we came to her, Princess Luna might have never fallen to Nightmare Moon.”

“But Princess Luna is back. Shouldn’t you be celebrating now?” Scoots was lagging a little, panting, but she gamely tried to keep up.

“No.” Dad frowned softly, shaking his head. “It is a time to remember pain and loss for us.”

“But—”

“We must never forget.” Dad’s voice was like an avalanche. “It is our duty—our penance. We failed Princess Luna, and she paid the price.”

“It could happen again.” I shivered. “You told me yourself that you used to be afraid of the dark.”

“But Princess Luna is awesome!” Scootaloo squawked.

“Not everypony thinks so,” Dad muttered. “We were both there for her first Nightmare Night in Ponyville, Scootaloo.”

“T-that was you pulling the chariot!” Scootaloo’s wings fumbled for a few flaps.

“No.” Dad chuckled. “I didn’t get to party. I was stuck in the shadows with the rest of the security detachment.” He arched his brow. “In particular, I was ordered to monitor the children when they went running off.”

Scootaloo gulped.

“You ran away from Princess Luna?” My head slumped forward. “Maybe you girls shouldn’t be here….”

“No, no, no, no, no!” Scoots shook her head violently. “It’s not what it sounds like!”

“Nightingale Mooncrest.” Dad frowned at me, and I shriveled up like a juice box.

“Sorry…” I whispered to Scoots, barely managing to look at her. “That was—” A deep breath. “That was out of line. I’m just… worried….”

“So are we!” Scoots was really straggling now, losing altitude every few seconds before she managed a desperate fit of energetic buzzing.

“You don’t act like it,” I murmured, looking back at everypony else as they chatted and laughed.

“Well, yeah.” Scoots snorted. “Because it’d be stupid if we did. You’re feeling down, so we gotta do our best to make you smile!”

“I—” I paused, biting my lip as Scoots dropped a few meters and fluttered back up. “Thank you.” I didn’t fight the smile this time.

“No problem, captain!” Scoots tried to salute mid-flight and failed spectacularly, bowling backwards in a few haphazard flips as a stray breeze hit her. “We always got your back!”

“Glad to hear it,” I giggled. “But I’m still not an officer.”

“I’m—” Scootaloo gulped for air, and Dad glanced back at her with the tiniest of frowns cracking his stoic face. “I’m gonna go back in the cart now if that’s alright.”

“You go do that.” I looked back. “Somepony has got to tell the others I’m feeling better.”

“I’m on it!” Scoots saluted again and fell back. “Mission success, guys!”

“You floundered a bit there, didn’t you, soldier?” Dad rumbled.

“Yeah.” My smile faded a little.

“Nothing to be ashamed of, though.” A long moment passed, with nothing but the wind to stir the silence.

“No, sir. It isn’t.”

“Are you actually feeling better?” Dad glanced over, eyes as sharp as his fangs.

“Yeah, actually.” I grinned. “It’s like that time we came home late to find Mom sleeping on the couch with fresh cricket kabobs in the oven.”

“I remember that.” Dad closed his eyes and simply let the wind carry us for a few moments. “Two back-to-back twelve hour shifts, and she still found time for us.” He sighed. “Stars, that was a busy year for her. I don’t know how she does it sometimes.”

“She has you, Dad.”

Dad blinked at me for a few moments before roaring with laughter. “Out of the mouths of fillies!” He winked. “Are you sure you’re not looking for a colt of your own?”

“Dad!” I squeaked, unable to squirm very well with the harness hitching me to the cart.

“I know…. I know….” He grew somber once more. “I, uh… heard you practicing in the shower this morning. Are you thinking of taking the pilgrimage this year?”

“C-can I?” My wings faltered, but Dad still flawlessly matched me. “I didn’t think— You always say I’m too young for that!”

“You’ve always been too young before.” With a shrug, Dad brought us in for the final approach. “I know I told you thirteen, but…” He let out a long breath. “You’ve grown a lot this year, Nightingale, and it’s only a few months difference.” He looked up to the stars, a twinkle in his eyes. “My little light in the night isn’t so little anymore.”

My ear flicked, barely catching his gravelly whisper. I looked up at him, trying to work out what to say to that, and my eyes went wide as a drop of something leaked from his eyes.

“Are you… crying?”

“Maybe.” He squeaked, voice cracking upwards several octaves. “Could just be liquid pride.”

“You never cry.”

“Everypony cries sometimes, Night.”

“Oh, yeah? When was the last time you cried?”

“Hrmm… hard to say. I don’t do it often.”

“You don’t do it ever!”

“If that’s what you want to think, Night.” Dad smiled wistfully. “But I know for a fact I cried the night you were born.”

I bit my tongue as we hit the cave, too busy trying to bring us to a steady stop to respond. There was only one— No. There were two guards tonight, but neither were thestrals.

“Woah! —oh! —oh! —oh! —oh!” The girls exclamations echoed off the walls as they scampered out of the cart to gape into the depths of Mount Canter. Candles and torches dotted the walls at regular intervals, giving them tiny glimpses of further in and lighting other crevices that snuck deeper into the mountain.

“Why are the flames so pretty?” Sweetie held out a hoof to one, and the silver flame softly licked her hoof. “Ooooh! Wow! It’s not even hot!”

“It’s moonfire.” Dad chuckled as we unhitched ourselves from the cart. “Don’t ask me how it works. I’m not an alchemist.”

Once freed from his harness, he looked into the charcoal darkness, his smile quickly fading. With a stomp that echoed through the caves, he drew all the girls’ attention and gestured in front of him.

“Attention!”

All the lessons ingrained by me and Sergeant Smiles had everypony else lined up in ten seconds flat. I was the only one to fall in at my own pace. Dad and I had already talked already back home, so I knew what he was going to say.

Hay, I helped him with some of it….

“Alright, girls. There’s going to be a few rules going in.” Dad leaned down and squinted at us all. “First and foremost, you need to be quiet unless spoken to. You can whisper and chat among yourselves, but for the love of Luna, do not speak louder than Dame Fluttershy normally does. Once we begin the descent, any echoing is going to be perceived as incredibly rude.”

“Oops….” Scoots rubbed the back of her head as she glanced down into the depths, her echo still audibly bouncing back to us.

“Second.” Dad tapped his hoof on the floor but it was no less authoritative than his stomp. “When we reach the Seven Thousand Steps of the Sevenfold Sins—”

“The what?!” Scoots barely managed not to shout as stars filled her eyes, and I had to kick her in the shin for breaking rule number one.

“The Seven Thousand Steps of the Sevenfold Sins.” A ghost of a smile crossed Dad’s face, gone as quickly as it appeared. “When we reach them, you must stick close to the wall with me. Sometimes, the stairs get slippery. No looking down. No falling. And no flying.” He frowned severely at us all. “It is very important you walk them all on your own, but if you find yourself needing a break, Night and I are willing to carry you.”

“What?” I blinked when everypony looked at me with raised eyebrows. “I can carry one of you if I need to.”

“Even after pulling the cart?” Diamond’s ears splayed back.

“And going down sixty bajillion steps?” Apple Bloom frowned.

“I think you mean having to go back up sixty bajillion steps.” Silver droned.

“I am capable of carrying Night if you tire her out.” Dad nodded to Diamond. “Trust me, I’ve done it before.”

Dad!” I hissed, a blazing fire burning up the back of my neck. “I haven’t need you to carry me since I was six!”

“Then make sure you don’t tire yourself out to prove a point to your friends.” Dad put a hoof on my withers. “If you do, you may miss your chance to make the pilgrimage this year.”

“But—” My squeak echoed and Scootaloo promptly returned my kick to her shin.

“No ‘buts’ on this, Night.” Dad loomed over me, even as he patted my back. “Your mother would kill me if I let you fly tired over the Everfree.”

“Fine….” I sulked, rubbing my shin and glaring at Scoots as she smirked at me.

“Good. Now, where was I?” Dad rubbed his chin.

“Third!” Sweetie chirped.

“Ah, yes, third and most importantly.” Dad looked each of the girls in the eyes. “Do not use the phrase bat pony while you’re here. I don’t have an issue with it, and Night doesn’t have an issue with it, but there are ponies here that will be gravely offended if you slip up. I mean it, girls. Don’t even try to mess with me on this. If the wrong pony hears you, you’ll get us in a lot of trouble, especially tonight of all nights. Chances are, I’ll need to fight somepony if you break this rule, and we’ll all be sleeping in the worst part of the dungeons until your sisters get here to bail us out—if I lose, that is.”

“Just our sisters?” Apple Bloom tilted her head to the side. “What about Mrs. Morning? Ain’t she a guard?”

“Mom is kind of…” I bit my lip, trying to think of how to say it. “…not very welcome with the kind of thestrals who’d toss us in jail here. Last time she came with me and Dad during Einbruch der Dunkelheit, we were in the dungeons for three whole nights until Auntie Mercy got a chance to talk with Princess Celestia and get us pardoned.”

“I still have the scars she gave me for losing to that loon.” Dad winced. “She was not happy about that night.”

“You should of let Mom cut loose on him.” I growled a little at the memory. “He was a real—” I glanced at Dad, choosing my next words carefully. “—jerk.”

“Yes. Yes, he was.” Dad rubbed his shoulder. “I still can’t believe he went for my artery. No honor at all.” He shook his head. “Regardless, do you girls agree to follow these rules and do everything Night and I might tell you to do?”

“Yes, Mister Mettle!” The girls chorus-whispered, and I nodded in satisfaction when it didn’t cause an echo.

“This is gonna be so cool...” Scoots had stars in her eyes again.

“Yeah, I can’t wait to get down there.” Apple Bloom was hopping from hoof to hoof.

“Me too,” Sweetie murmured. “I-I hope my horn doesn’t go out, though.”

“Oh! Right! I almost forgot.” Dad went back to the cart and pulled out a bag. “Before we go down. You girls need to drink these. Your sisters were very clear I was to take no chances, so I asked Her Highness, Princess Twilight, to make me these.”

“Woah! Everything’s all grey!”

“And silvery!”

“I-is this what Night sees?”

“Are we ready, girls?” Dad rustled his wings and glanced between us.

“We were born ready!” Diamond huffed.

Dad arched his brow at everypony’s fervent nods. “Just remember to follow the rules and do whatever me and Night tell you to.”

“Yeah, Diamond. You have to do whatever Night tells you to.” Silver pointedly looked at her friend.

Diamond and I exchanged glances before she frowned. “Yeah, that’s what I just said.” There was the sound of soft facehooves from multiple sources.

Dad snerked, desperately clutching his side as he tried not to roar in laughter and break his own rules. I was totally kicking him in the shin if he did. I didn’t know what was so funny, but Mom would totally approve.

“Al— Alright, girls. Enough is enough.” He gave Silver a look. “Let’s just head to the Seven Thousand Steps of the Sevenfold Sins.”

“Yeah!” Scootaloo pumped her hoof, receiving another kick in the shin when her voice echoed back in excitement.

“Woah, that’s a lot of steps.”

Scootaloo had already broken rule number two in every way that she could’ve. She’d ran ahead despite Dad warning her not to, tripped straight into the abyss she didn’t see, and—thankfully—flown back up to wait for us. She was still hovering there, looking down as we arrived, exactly like Dad had said not to.

“Scoots!” I almost shrieked, and winced at the echo that came back.

Several hisses followed it, and Dad quickly dragged Scoots back, placing her between him and the wall. He loomed over her saying nothing as she squirmed, waiting until she was visibly sweating buckets for at least half a minute before bending down to look her right in the eyes.

“What was rule number two?” he growled, his fangs gleaming in the light of the moonfire torches dotting the room.

“Not to look down?” Scootaloo shrunk in on herself.

“And?” Dad arched his brow.

“Not to fall?” Her ears splayed back.

“And?” Dad hissed in a deadly whisper.

“Not to fly?” She flinched.

“Correct.” Dad leaned forward, his slitted eyes the only thing Scoots could see. “You broke all three. This is why I told you not to run ahead. Understand?”

A small nod.

“Good.” He snorted, pulling back and pointedly looking at each of the other girls individually before focusing on Scootaloo again. “Do not disobey me again or I will drag all of you out of here—kicking and screaming, if I have to.”

“B-but—” I started shaking.

“All of you will come with me, and I will fly you back to Ponyville alone.” Dad loomed over everypony now, his wings flaring to cast us in shadow. “I can only cut you so much leeway for being day-dwellers, and I will not let you ruin Night’s first pilgrimage.”

“D-Dad…” I sniffled, suddenly starting to cry for a whole new reason. I sucked in the urge to scree as I tackled him, hugging him as tightly as I could while I nuzzled up into the crook of his neck. “Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!”

“Shhh… quiet, Night.” Dad ran his hoof through my mane. “You’ll break rule number one if you’re not careful.”

I shoved my face in his coat and screed my muffled thanks where it couldn’t echo.

He trusted me to do this on my own.

Alone.

Like an adult.

Even though I was twelve.

Mom was going to kill him if it came to that, but I’d go to the ends of the earth to bring him back. I was just so— so— I don’t know! I was way more than proud. I was warm, and fluffy, and my head was so light I could swear the room was spinning.

Maybe I should stop shrieking into his coat to get some air?

I came up, gasping for breath, and started when a tiny hoof poked me in the back. I turned to find my friends all standing there, ears splayed back as they refused to look me in the eyes. Instantly, the warm bubbly feeling in me froze into icy dread. It was like a million pieces of hail were pounding at my heart, and I sniffled again.

I didn’t want everypony to go….

“We’re sorry, Night.” They all murmured so quietly that I almost couldn’t hear.

“It’s— It’s all right.” I wiped my nose with my foreleg, thanking the stars I hadn’t gotten too snotty in my little episode. “Just… please listen to us when we tell you to do something. I want you to experience this with me, but you have to understand.”

“We will….” They all kicked the floor, finally finding the courage to look me in the eye and smile weakly.

“You.” Dad gently pulled away from me and stood back up, pointing to Scootaloo with a frown. “Back between me and the wall. Consider it your punishment for breaking the rules.”

With a silent squawk, Scoots was in position, cantering beside my Dad like lightning. She looked back at the girls and gestured frantically between them and the wall. They looked to me and I nodded at empty air, the wall instantly filled with ponies insistent on being as far away from the edge as possible. I couldn’t help but smile as Sweetie sucked in her gut to make more room, and I giggled softly to myself when everypony else did likewise.

We started down the stairs—the Seven Thousand Steps of the Sevenfold Sins—while Dad and I hummed some of my favorite hymns. With a whisper, Dad would break song to point to the carvings along the edge of our long and downwards spiral, telling my friends the tales of Luna’s greatest triumphs. Soon, they were starry eyed and completely enraptured. The tension faded from their backs, and they stopped clinging to the walls as if they’d fall at the slightest step.

We learned of best princess together, and I started to feel all warm and fuzzy again.

Dad trusted me to be here on my own. My friends had finally quieted down. Tonight could literally not be any better.

I frowned.

Tonight couldn’t be any better? No! What was I thinking?! Bad Night! I wasn’t supposed to be happy tonight!

But…

But maybe it was okay to be happy?

Wouldn’t the Nightmother want me to be happy?

I blinked and looked at the carvings as if seeing them for the first time. I stopped and held a hoof out to them, feeling them dig into my frog.

“That was all she ever wanted… to be happy and loved….” I closed my eyes and breathed as my stomach butterflies flitted through aerial maneuvers I didn’t know were possible.

“Night? Are you okay?”

I started to see the others waiting for me, Diamond hesitantly peeling from her spot on the wall to move closer.

“Never better.” I smiled so wide that even Dad stumbled a bit. “I just… got something… from being here with all of you….”

“And this is why I wish your mother could have made it to more of these,” Dad rumbled with a sigh. “Leave it to day-dwellers to turn the worst day of the year into a happy occasion.” He looked at me, eyes smiling even if it never touched his face. “Just be careful with that, Night. Not everypony is going to be happy to see you smile.”

“Yes, sir.” I schooled my expression but kept rustling my wings. The urge to smile was strong, and I had to fight myself to keep stoic.

Every so often, we’d pass below a few thestrals hanging from the ceiling, resting on their journey downwards. Dad would hush the others when we neared them, only picking his stories up once we passed. Sometimes I felt their eyes following after us long, long after we left.

Finally, though, we hit the halfway point, and the urge to smile died.

“And now…” Dad whispered, putting his hoof on the newest set of carvings. “…it’s time to tell the tale of why we’re here tonight. We made sure to remember the Nightmother’s glory, and now—” He bit his lip. “Now we remember her fall.”

The carvings were harsh, sharp, and black—black as the Nightmare herself. When Dad pulled his hoof away, I could smell the drop of blood he left behind, and I dutifully walked up to leave my own tribute, small as it might have been. Looking at my friends, I let a tear slide down my cheek, fully expecting the group hug to come.

“L-let me tell you the story, of the rise of Nightmare Moon.”

We reached the bottom and I slumped to the floor, almost ready to call it quits after sharing the tale. The rest of the girls slumped with me, clinging to me with tears in their eyes. The newspapers. The sun witch. The school. All of them liked to gloss over the truth.

The girls had just gone on a very wild ride, but now we could sniffle together.

“I’m never gonna let you go, guys….”

Even Scootaloo wasn’t immune.

“Girls.” Dad laid a hoof on my back. “We’re almost there.”

“The worst is yet to come.” I shivered.

“Oh, Celestia…” Diamond moaned, rubbing her nose with her foreleg and discreetly depositing the snot on a blubbering Apple Bloom. “What could be worse than that?”

“The funeral….” I breathed, looking down the hall into the inky abyss. Pulling myself to my feet, I nudged the girls up and braced myself for what lay ahead. “We’re almost late. It’ll be sunrise soon.”

“F-funeral?”

“L-late?”

“W-what?”

Dad pushed us forward as the torches going up the stairs flickered out one by one. The thestrals we passed hissed from above, dropping like silent rocks to hit the floor and slink quickly into the darkness. They gave my friends the stink eye as they passed us, so I glowered right back at them. Soon we reached the archway to the deepest part of the mountain, and Dad and I stopped for one last word.

“From here on out, do not speak.” Dad had to bend down and speak directly into each of the girls ears. “From sunrise to sunset, we are to sit in quiet contemplation.”

“All day?!” Scoots squeaked, and I kicked her in the shin again.

“Shh!”

“All day.” Dad frowned. “Are we going to have a problem with that?”

Scootaloo bit her lip for a moment before looking at me and wilting. “No, sir….”

“Good.” Dad nodded. “We have a long day ahead of us, and an even longer night. If any of you need to use the restroom, tap Night or myself and do the potty dance so we can carry you to the nearest chamber pots.”

I pushed Diamond inside before she could complain about the lack of plumbing, and we felt our way along the stone until Dad tapped me on the shoulder to stop. The darkness was complete and total here, completely safe from the baleful gaze of the sun.

Except upon the solstice.

Through a carefully constructed series of mirrors built into crevices, a single ray of light began to hungrily tear through our precious darkness as Celestia raised the sun. Straight from the heavens, it sank its fangs into the casket that dominated the center of the room. Carved from black diamond and obsidian, it refused to yield easily, spiting the light back out as it reflected and refracted and breathed the tiniest bit of life into the room.

As one, every thestral stared, the light searing yet never blinding as it lit the rest of the room. The others leaned into me as the rest of the room became visible, thousands of thestrals among thousands of tombstones, sharing silent vigil over their lost Nightmother.

Somepony—I didn’t see who—clutched me tight after an hour or two, muffling a squeak as they finally looked up to see the tombstones high above. They hung there like stalactites, and even more thestrals dangled from them, watching Luna’s tombstone with their families.

Despite the burning light, we stared. Refusing to look away. Refusing to forget. We barely moved except to answer nature’s call, and we barely breathed because it would disturb the dust of the dead. For hours we sat, until all my friends were asleep, and I struggled to remain awake.

At last, I couldn’t open my eyes anymore, and settled for contemplating Nightfall in my dreams.

Dad nudged me awake as the sun was setting, and a single thestral descended from above to place his hoof on the tombstone. His armor was old—no, ancient—and came from some long dead general.

General… Dusk Fang? I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. Yeah, that was it…. General Dusk Fang.

“T’was better to fall beside you, old friend, than to see you waste away on the moon.”

Whoever they picked this year was big—almost too big for the armor, which was already massive—but his voice was perfect for the job. As darkness returned and the candles were lit, his deep, bellowing voice buried us in the tomb. The haunting warble of his dirge echoed through the cavern, beckoning all to join.

And Dad and I did.

I could barely hit the high notes, but I’d been practicing for weeks. This year, I’d keep it up until the end without embarrassing myself or Dad. He had no problems hitting the low notes, so why should I ruin his performance with my highs?

“What are they doing?” Diamond whispered, shivering away from me and into Silver. “Silver, make her stop. She’s scaring me more than the time she dove down after Sweetie Belle.”

“Shh…” Silver hugged Diamond. “I’m trying to hear them.”

“It’s silent, Silver.”

“I know.”

“It’s dead silent.”

“I know.”

“I can literally feel the silence pounding in my ears, Silver. Make her stop. Make her stopnow. Cover her ears. I don’t want her to hear it.”

“She wants to sing, Diamond. Let her sing.”

Diamond whimpered, glancing about as we sang our praise to the Nightmother. I hit a particularly high note, and she shivered again, squeezing Silver tight. Then, she grimaced and let go, inching back over to me, and lying by my side.

I pulled her into a hug—pulled all my friends into a hug—singing the night away until I had no more praise to give.

I waved to Dad as he left towards Ponyville, cart filled with the girls. I had one last thing to do tonight, though—something I’d wanted to do for a long time.

Leaping from the cave, I angled myself towards Ponyville.

And I glided.

And glided.

And glided.

I drifted past Ponyville, and let myself get carried out into the depths of the Everfree. The stars guided me to the ruins of the castle, and I circled high above it, watching, waiting, contemplating.

I could barely see several scars left in the land from where the Nightmare made her stand. Maybe… Maybe I could see them up close one day. When I had the training to handle the forest on my own.

It was tempting to go down. It really was. But Dad had trusted me to do this on my own, and I wasn’t going to ruin it by doing something stupid.

For now, I’d observed from far above the Everfree—watching the gravest marker of Princess Luna’s past.

Author's Note:

Been waiting to do this chapter for a while. Anyways, art! I had some great stuff from Mr Tech but it seems the file sizes might be a smidge too large for me to share with my normal image hosting site.