• Published 1st Oct 2017
  • 407 Views, 4 Comments

The Seven Seals - Lightwavers



The dragons are attacking. The Princesses waver between two terrible choices.

  • ...
 4
 407

Under A Shadow

There were whispers. Things said in the shadows, the places her sister liked best. Hopefully, the new mare who'd taken her place wouldn’t notice.

But Celestia suspected she would. And with that notice would come renewed bitterness, at their ponies, at her

The dragons were at their doorstep. Ponies evacuated toward the Everfree castle in droves, fleeing a wave of blood and fire. The sun’s light hung in the sky, a ball of energy dragged from the planet’s core and set to rotate opposite the moon.

Sometimes it was hard to keep herself from taking that energy in her magical grip and dragging it smashing down on the dragons, crushing them like—

The thoughts were back.

She needed her sister.

Celestia began the long walk to Luna’s quarters. The stares, the bows, the disgusting adoration followed her the entire way, and she couldn’t even teleport because some of the older dragons could do it, and security was of utmost importance.

A guard held open a door for her as she passed, almost groveling.

She’d never wanted—

lies

—didn’t want to be worshipped. Respected, yes. Obeyed…sometimes. But she’d taken it too far. Her image was too finely crafted. If she was visibly upset, anypony in the vicinity was sure they would be cursed with bad luck for the year, and every single negative event would be attributed to it. If she showed pleasure, it was the opposite, and the pony would not cease praising her until she they died.

So she wore her Calm, the mask she could never take off, not even while asleep, because there were ponies who cleaned when she was asleep, and they could never see what she wanted seen.

The face she might not even have anymore, under the mask.

The face of a normal pony. One with joys. And sorrows. And boredom. And hope.

The face that would devastate any pony who looked at it.

She was stuck with no way out.

The door opened.

“Luna.”

“Celestia.”

It was all very cordial. Very polite. Fake. Just like the ponies in her court. Just like the face she couldn’t drop.

“I have received word from the dragonlands. A team of Legionnaires was on a scouting mission. They found an old dragon who compelled two of them with a geas to return to us and make sure his message was delivered.”

Celestia tossed the scroll. Luna caught it and unrolled the parchment, eyes moving as she scanned the lines.

“The dragons have a plan to stop the war. The Princesses must not use their abilities.”

She looked up. “The word ‘abilities’ is underlined.”

“They know. At least some of them. The older ones, the ones with the ability to place such a geas,” Celestia said.

“Then…” Luna trembled. Her room was empty aside from her bed and nightstand. She had little need for such things. Her world was in the dream realm. More now than before.

“We have an out,” Celestia whispered.

Luna approached her, face wet. They embraced. And for the first time in years, the green faded completely from her eyes.


Have to have to have to

Can’t

Have to have to have to

Can’t

Luna settled into the dream realm as the endless chant repeated in her head. Something had escaped. It was eating her mind.

She had told no one, for there was nothing anypony could do. They might comfort her or lock her in a cell, it made no different.

The monster was still there.

She sank into her dreams, into the shielded sanctum that represented her innermost self. Transparent obsidian walls surrounded a room that resembled the one she used in the castle. There was a mirror image of herself in it, along with Celestia. Both were younger. Much younger. There were other figures, too, but not as solid. Not one approached the clarity of either sister. And in the crowd was a negative space. Luna could find it, if she wanted. It was a face never known. An identity constantly guessed at, but never revealed.

Celestia’s memories were sealed to her. They burned.

It wasn’t her sister’s fault. But it was hard to keep from hating her for it.

The monster prowled around the room. It had gotten through the first three layers of defenses. It could influence her even while she was awake, now. But it could only exaggerate, not twist.

This would be their final battle.

Luna left her sanctum, opening a hole in the obsidian as she departed. She was across from the monster. It couldn’t get in before she sealed it.

It didn’t.

The other nightmare scampered through, an old fear she’d almost forgotten.

She couldn’t stop it.

Only scream.


“They have to die.”

The voice was solid. Unyielding, but brittle. If pushed, she would break, and then…

Celestia had moved the Elements, putting them within easy reach, just in case. They weren’t that powerful, but they sped up the casting of more difficult spells. If it came to a fight…

But it wouldn’t.

“Why?” Celestia asked.

“They have not stopped.”

“But the plan! They have a—”

“The plan has failed.”

They walked past another guard post. Another pegasus. More and more of the thestrals were resigning. Too much pressure from the pegasi. Too many uncertain glances at Luna as they began to question their own loyalties.

Luna didn’t seem to care anymore. It would have cut deep, if Luna was still her sister.

Celestia closed her eyes. Breathed. Opened them.

She had no choice.

“If they reach the Greater Provinces…”

“Yes?” Luna was so cold now.

“Then I will deal with them myself. Personally.”

Celestia felt a part of her conscience scream and die. The part of her that could feel became just a little more numb, a little more willing to give in.

Luna nodded, eyes flaring with green energy. “Acceptable.”

It isn’t. It really isn’t.

They continued walking. Celestia did not voice her concerns.