• Published 5th Dec 2011
  • 2,809 Views, 55 Comments

All I Wanted Were My Mommy's Kisses - Sith_Dreamer



Dinky Doo thinks her mommy is the best mail mare ever. But does Ditzy take her job too seriosuly?

  • ...
4
 55
 2,809

Not What She Wanted To Hear Part 2

Twilight paced around the library, her anxiety high as she tried the best way to talk to Dinky about what the Princess had told her. She didn’t want Dinky to hate her mentor, but it was silly to worry about that when she knew that thought of even less hope was what would really crush the little filly.

“Twi, are you worrying again?” Spike said while rubbing his eyes as he came down the stairs.

Twilight nodded. Spike knew all the details, so she didn’t need to explain a thing.

“Twilight, do you remember all the times you have worried before? Every time, those worked out, and nothing bad happened.”

“But Spike, a pony’s life was never on the line in those other situations. It isn’t just me this time,” Twilight sighed.

Spike suddenly pushed Twilight back on her haunches, and brought his face close to hers.

“Look, Twilight, more than once you’ve learned not to worry so much about the little things. This isn’t little, I’ll give you that, but a calm head would certainly make it easier. Stop worrying Twilight, just let what you’ve got to say come from your heart, and I’m sure Dinky will listen. She may be a bit shy, she may get emotional sometimes, but she isn’t stupid, and she can understand these things. She may not like what she hears, but going about it calmly will be a lot easier on her than if you did it in the state you’re in now. “

Spike moved away from her, and headed toward the back of the library. Twilight took a few deep breaths.

“You-your right Spike. Sometimes, well, you know me too well. Thank you,” Twilight managed a smile and tried to relax a little.

“It’ll work out Twilight. I know it will,” Spike called back as he climbed into his extra basket in the far corner of the library, before curling up and passing out once again.

Twilight looked at the dragon she’d helped care for since she was a little filly, surprised by how wise the little dragon could sometimes be. Spike let out a loud snore that made Twilight chuckle, reminding her that no matter his advice he was still the same baby dragon as always. Feeling a little better, Twilight decided to do some more reading to relax her mind for the moment when Dinky came home from playing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Come on Dinky!” shouted the orange Pegasus in front of her, “You gotta be faster than that to keep up with us!”

Accepting the challenge, Dinky Doo closed her eyes and galloped forward, hoping she’d catch up to her new friends. She pushed on until she could only hear the galloping of her own hooves. She skidded to a stop and opened her eyes. She found herself faced with the entrance to the Everfree Forest. A large black spider-like creature poked its head through the leaves and stared at Dinky.

“Hrrrrisssssss!” the creature screeched, causing Dinky to skitter backwards as fast as she could.

It took but a moment for her to reach the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who were all chuckling at Dinky’s misstep.

“What’s so funny?!” Dinky huffed, then glancing back at the forest, “W-what was that?”

“Ah have no idea,” Applebloom replied, “But Ah wouldn’t worry about it.”

“Come on, we don’t need her getting the wrong idea about us,” Sweetie Belle said.

The Crusaders nodded in agreement. The three crowded around Dinky and lifted her into the air above them. Dinky gasped in surprise, but quickly began to giggle.

“Come on everypony, don’t fer-get, we had a plan fer Dinky,” Applebloom reminded the other two.

“Cutie Mark Crusader Membership Initiation YAY!” the three shouted in unison as they dashed off, leaving Dinky to follow as fast as she could manage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few hours later, the fillies had all gathered at the Cutie Mark Crusader Club House, and started to throw a party for Dinky. She’d been surprised by the whole, but enjoyed every minute of it.

“Applebloom, this whole party was amazing!” Dinky said cheerfully, much perkier than the Crusaders had seen her before.

“But that ain’t all, we got one more surprise fer ya!” Applebloom hopped up and down excitedly.

“Come on Sweetie Belle, some of us don’t have all day!” Scootaloo huffed, ready to give their gift to the purple unicorn.

“Hold your hooves Scoots, I’m coming!” Sweetie retorted.

After a few moments, Sweetie Belle came out with a brand new Cutie Mark Crusader cape clutched firmly in her teeth. With a little magic, she raised it into the air and wrapped it loosely around Dinky’s neck. Dinky lit up like the decorations on Hearth’s Warming Eve, happily bounding around with excitement.

“I can’t wait to tell Twilight! This is the best day I’ve had in a long time!”

The other Crusaders couldn’t help but smile. It was a welcome change to see the filly in such great spirits.

“Come on!” Scootaloo exclaimed, “We’ve still got lots of time. We have to think of more ways to find our cutie marks!”
______________________________________________________________________________

The sun had begun to sink low into the horizon by the time Dinky returned to the library. When she trotted in, Twilight was pacing back and forth, worry evident on her face.

“TwilightTwilightTwilight!” Dinky cried, “Look at what my friends made for me!”

“Oh..well, that’s very…nice Dinky. And I’m happy to see you in such good spirits. But I have some…news, and you may not like what I’ve got to say.”

Dinky calmed down, suddenly intrigued by what the older unicorn had to say.

“Is…is it my mommy, Twilight?”

“Well..yes.”

Twilight stood firm. She’d stood against a Tyrant of Darkness and a Lord of Chaos, she had no reason to be afraid now. And yet, deep down, breaking a little filly’s heart felt far worse.

“Dinky, your mom, she,” Twilight paused and took a deep breath, “She isn’t getting any better, not yet anyway. I tried to contact Princess Celestia, but the Princess won’t use her own magic. She says it’s too dangerous to try any strong magic on a pony in such a frail condition. She does think the medical ponies in Canterlot might be able to do more, but we’d have to move her. I’m not making it my decision, though, I’m leaving it to you.”

Twi could already see the tears in Dinky’s eyes, but surprisingly the fragile filly hadn’t broken down yet. Dinky came close and snuggled next to Twilight, and the purple unicorn wrapped a hoof around her for comfort.

“Twilight…-I want mommy to get better. I want her to go to Canterlot,” she sniffled.
“Then I’ll get right on it,” Twilight comforted her. “As soon as they get her settled in, we’ll go visit. Have you ever been to Canterlot?”

Dinky wiped away a few tears that had begun to drip down her face.

“O-o-once, a while ago. I haven’t seen much of it though.”

“Then I’ll show you everything there is to see!” Twilight managed a grin. “Maybe I can even introduce you to my brother Shining Armor.”

With teary eyes, Dinky looked up at Twilight and cracked a small smile, before yawning loudly.

“I think somepony had a long day, and I’m sorry for having to ruin the end of it. But I hope you understand. Now let’s get you to bed. “

Dinky nodded, and followed Twilight to her bedroom.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soon after, Dinky was tucked into bed, after having been read another chapter of one of the Daring Do Adventure Books. In her hooves she clutched her new Cutie Mark Crusader cape tightly to her chest. Twilight got up from where she had been reading, and began to leave the room.

“Twilight?” the small filly’s voice drifted into her ears.

“Hm?” she looked back.

“If things don’t get better…will you be my mommy?”

Twilight was taken aback. This unicorn was so attached to her mother, accepting the wall eyed mare and all her faults, and yet suddenly she was thinking about life beyond all that. Surprising would have been an understatement to Twilight.

“W-well Dinky I-“ she stopped when she saw the little unicorn had passed out, and was already snoring loudly. She managed a faint grin before she blew out the candle lighting the room and headed back to the main section of the library. Twilight felt she wouldn’t be getting much sleep this evening... her mind was clouded, filled with thoughts of how she would answer that question if she had to.






(Author’s Note: Sorry this took so long, but as a few blogs have said, I’ve been busy. I also admit, I had a slight burnout from FIM. Never did I quit loving it, but I took a step back for a little while, and with season 3 coming, i’ve headed back into the fandom full blast. Thanks as always to my good friends Zev for editing this and generally putting up with my bull.)