• Published 5th Dec 2011
  • 2,809 Views, 55 Comments

All I Wanted Were My Mommy's Kisses - Sith_Dreamer



Dinky Doo thinks her mommy is the best mail mare ever. But does Ditzy take her job too seriosuly?

  • ...
4
 55
 2,809

Not What She Wanted To Hear Part 1

After a few days, everything began to feel rather routine for Twilight Sparkle. She would wake up and get Dinky fed, and then they’d trot along the streets of Ponyville until they reached the school house where Cheerilee would be waiting for all the fillies and colts to arrive. From there Twilight would go about her usual activities, reading, study, and spending time with her friends, until she had to pick Dinky up, from which they’d depart for the hospital. An hour was usually spent with Twilight speaking to the same doctors with the same answers while Dinky went on about her day to her mother. However, after a few days, Twilight noticed Dinky had less and less to say, opting to make her visits quick so that her and Twilight could spend some time together before night fell and she had to get prepared for the day that was to follow.

Nearly two weeks had passed since Ditzy Doo had entered the hospital, and once again it was their visitation time.

“Excuse me, Ms. Sparkle?” a familiar voice said from down the hallway.

“Hm?” Twilight mumbled as she turned to see the brown unicorn doctor that had taken care of Rainbow Dash not so long ago walking her way.

“I thought you should know. Things with Ms. Doo have been, well, interesting to say the least. It seemed her vitals spiked to very good levels earlier today, and then crashed just as suddenly, I know I’ve been pretty grim about all this, but it is not looking any better at the moment. I know its terrible, but I think its time you start discussing with that filly the real possibility that her mother may not ever be coming back.”

“Do you think its wise to say such a thing right now? I mean, there has to be other options,” Twilight couldn’t imagine breaking Dinky’s heart like that.

He sighed. “I told you already, Manehatten, even Canterlot is going to have more well equipped facilities, but in the state she’s in, we don’t want to risk moving her. I’m sorry, but for now we just have to continue to wait.”

Twilight looked away, her time spent in the hospital for the day only totaling minutes but her conversation had made it feel like an eternity. Her mind drifted back to what Dinky had asked her earlier, about if the Princess was capable of doing something to help. As soon as she saw Dinky already trotting away from the bed, Twilight knew for sure that she had a letter to write.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once night had fallen and Dinky had been put to bed, Twilight called Spike to their room, and asked him to take a letter.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I’m sorry if this is any sort of bother to you, as I know just how busy you are. However, in the past couple weeks it seems I’ve acquired a rather energetic unicorn filly named Dinky, the daughter of Ditzy Doo, our town’s mailmare. Ditzy was severely injured from an accident caused while trying to deliver something during a storm, and while anypony can tell you that it certainly was not one of the smartest actions a pony could take, Ditzy certainly deserves to get better for her daughter. However, the doctors here tell me there likely isn’t much they can do at the present, and so I’m left to ask you this large favor. Is there anything you can do to help save the life of Ditzy Doo. I can imagine you have something that can help with your vast knowledge of magic. Please answer me soon, Ditzy may not have much time.

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle.

Spike finished the letter, and with a nod he vaporized it with his fire.

“You think it will work?” Spike asked a worried looking Twilight.

“I hope so Spike. I really hope so.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight sat up waiting, hoping her mentor would send back good news soon. It took hours, but soon a response rocketed itself from Spike’s throat. Twilight tore across the room and furiously yanked the seal off so that she could read its contents.

My Faithful student Twilight Sparkle,

It is with a heart full of regret I must tell you I cannot do anything for your injured friend. What you are asking may not be beyond my powers, but I feel I must explain my reasons for giving you this answer. For the same reason unicorn doctors still rely on medicine and medical instruments, so do I agree with their methods. With a magical approach, there are many more factors that must be taken into account, and one wrong move could either kill or harm that pony further. I will not have another pony’s blood on my hooves. From the sound of your friend’s injuries, it would take an immense amount of work to make sure everything was healed properly, another place where any number of errors could occur.

Sometimes Twilight, ponies are selected earlier for their time, it’s the balance of things. IF Equestrian
medicine cannot save her, then I fear nothing can. I am very sorry that I must send this reply back to you, and I’m sure I cannot expect you to be happy about what I have to say. I will offer my services however if she needs to be taken to a larger facility. I’m sure one of our hospitals might have the means to help.

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia.


Twilight’s mouth hung agape as she read the letter again and again. She was utterly shocked that the pony she looked up to most had turned her down when she needed her most. For a moment, Twilight didn’t allow herself to see the Princess’ point, instead becoming very angry towards her.

“Twi? Twilight? What happened?” Spike asked her, himself curious as to the reply she’d received.

Twilight sighed hard, surrendering the letter to the baby dragon and letting go of her anger. Spike clutched the letter in his claw and began to read it.

“Oh wow, I’m sorry Twilight,” Spike looked genuinely sincere. “So, what now?”

“Well, I suppose we ask the Princess to get Ditzy help in Canterlot. Aside from that, I’ve got a very awful talk I have to give to a very timid filly.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight and Spike had both went to bed soon after reading the letter. They’d been up until nearly morning, and all Twilight could think about after suffering the disappointment was getting some well deserved rest. She needed to time to think of how she was going to talk to Dinky. The purple unicorn was still very delicate emotionally, and Twilight knew she would have to choose her words carefully. She was glad it was now a Saturday, and she didn’t happen to have anything planned for most of the day.

Downstairs, Dinky began to stir early, yawning and climbing out of bed to watch the sun rise. She wondered what the day would bring her, and hoped it would be something good.