• Published 5th Dec 2011
  • 2,806 Views, 55 Comments

All I Wanted Were My Mommy's Kisses - Sith_Dreamer



Dinky Doo thinks her mommy is the best mail mare ever. But does Ditzy take her job too seriosuly?

  • ...
4
 55
 2,806

All I Wanted Were My Mommy's Kisses

All I Wanted Were My Mommy’s Kisses

It was a day that seemed like any other in Ponyville. The skies were blue, and every pony in town was going about their usual business. Today however, the skies were filled with more Pegasus ponies than usual, as Rainbow Dash was organizing the bi-weekly rain shower for the gardeners and farmers of Ponyville. To save some time, Dash had gotten Twilight to organize every pony’s part so that everything was running smoothly. By midday, the skies had been cleared of the normal fluffy white clouds, and several Pegasi were whipping up dark clouds, filled with rain ready to be set off at a moment’s notice.

Not long before the storm was set to go, Zecora wandered into Ponyville. She wasn’t here for her usual visit to the shops for ingredients in her potions. Instead, she came with a warning for Twilight Sparkle. She found Twilight talking with Rainbow Dash, both admiring the fantastic job the weather team had done.

“Zecora!” Twilight said surprised, and broke away from Rainbow to greet her. “What’re you visiting for today?”

“Twilight Sparkle, my visit if not of pleasure. I feel we must take some safety measures,” Zecora rhymed back, making a confused look come across Twilight’s face.

“Whatever do you mean?” Twilight asked her.

“A storm today there should not be, as something worse blows in from Everfree.”

Zecora turned her head back towards the forest from where she’d come, looking concerned about something. Dash had been listening behind them and took to the air, flying high above Ponyville so she could look across the vast expanse of the Everfree Forest.

“I don’t see anything!” Dash called down, “Are you sure you got…whatever it is that told you something was going to happen right?”

“I know my calculations were quite clear, something terrible is very near,” Zecora continued, making Twilight nervous.

“Rainbow Dash! Maybe…maybe we should listen to what she has to say!” Twilight yelled back up to the cyan Pegasus.

“No way Twilight! We spent all morning getting this ready, just one kick above the center and it’ll keep the plants watered for the next two weeks! Applejack and everyone else are counting on this rain, Twilight.”

Twilight looked over to Zecora, who was again looking into the twisted trees of the forest. Twilight began to say something, but Zecora just lowered her head and began to head back to the forest.

“You’re friend will not accept my intervention, even though she does it with the best intentions,” Zecora said as she walked slowly away from Twilight.

“Zecora wait!” Twi called out to her, “I can try to convince Rainbow Dash again. Is this thing really that bad?”

“An unnatural condition is on its way, what it will do with your weather, I cannot say,” and with that Zecora continued on, until Twilight couldn’t see here between the trees any longer.

Dash flew down and landed next to her, seeing the concern Twilight was holding from Zecora’s words.

“Ah, don’t worry about it Twilight,” Dash said, putting a leg around her neck, “I’m sure Zecora is getting all worked up over nothing. Besides, I’ve lead this weather team a thousand times now and it’s never gotten out of hand before.”

“I want to believe you’re right Rainbow Dash,” Twilight sighed, “But I hate to think what could happen if you are wrong.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite everything that was going on that day, not every Pegasus in the sky belonged to the weather team. Among them fluttered a grey Pegasus with a blond mane, whom everyone in Ponyville recognized for how strange her eyes looked. The Pegasus was Ditzy Doo, also called Derpy by many in Ponyville. She was never sure why they had adopted this name for her, but even if it was with any ill intention, it never seemed to bother her.

Ditzy was the mail-mare of Ponyville, a job she took very seriously, always taking care to deliver every letter in perfect condition and on time. Today she was especially rushed, trying to finish her work before the rain was supposed to fall on Ponyville so she could grab her daughter, Dinky, from school and get them home dry. Around the time Zecora had visited Twilight and Dash, Ditzy was just finishing up delivering her last letter. It was a letter to Pinkie Pie from her parents who were still farming rocks at home. Pinkie had been so ecstatic to have Ditzy deliver the letter personally she’d vowed to throw her a “Ponyville’s Best Mail-Mare Party”. Ditzy had shyly told her she didn’t have to, then took off for the school house, where Cheerilee was waiting outside with Dinky, the last little filly to go home for the day.

“You know Ditzy, I could take Dinky home for you some days. I know how busy you are, and I know she doesn’t always want to stay here with boring ol’ me,” Cheerilee told her, grinning as Dinky ran into her mother’s waiting hooves.

“Oh no, Ms. Cheerilee, “ Ditzy said, “I already work so much as it is. I don’t want to miss out on anymore than I have to with my little muffin here.”

Cheerilee nodded, and watched as Ditzy scooped Dinky onto her back, the filly biting down on her mother’s mane and wrapping her forelegs tightly around her mother’s neck, as Ditzy took quickly to the sky and headed for their home. Cheerilee could only smile. Despite the taunts and teasing some of the citizens of Ponyville did to Ditzy, Cheerilee couldn’t help but see that she was one of the most caring parents in Ponyville.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arriving in their small cottage, Dinky dropped down gracefully from her mother’s back as Ditzy began to remove her saddle bags. Not but a moment later, the sound of rain began to pound against their roof.

“Looks like we made it just in time,” Ditzy smiled at her daughter.

“Yay, we didn’t get wet!” Dinky cheered, and ran off to play in her room.


Ditzy smiled, and headed into the kitchen to find something to eat. Normally she would have a snack of a muffin after a long day of working, but today she didn’t feel like she was much in the mood for that. She decided to see just what else she could find that might fill her up on this rainy day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As night fell, the rain continued, soaking into the ground, and bringing new life to the plants of Ponyville. The raindrops glistened as they fell across the apples that grew across Sweet Apple Acres. All across the town, the rain was blessing the lands it touched. However, nopony could see the darkness that had begun to rise from the Everfree Forest. It had been said the weather controlled itself in the forest, and now, one of the storms that was almost never seen above the trees of the forest had climbed above the tree line and was headed toward Ponyville. Its clouds were black, some dipping down into funnel shapes that seemed to roar as they climbed back up and dropped down again.

It didn’t take long before it had flowed into the rain that was pouring across Ponyville. The Everfree storm overtook the weather team’s storm like a virus. Twisting the grey rain clouds into scary black shapes as the rain began to fall much harder, the wind blew much faster, and thunder and lightning began to pound across the skies. It was the start of a very bad night for Ponyville.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dinky was now sitting happily at the table in their kitchen, a big plate of spaghet-hay, a bed of hay with tomato sauce poured over it that Dinky loved, set neatly in front of her. Ditzy had skipped her snack after a while and decided to make Dinky’s favorite for dinner. The filly had been so excited she had galloped around the house for several minutes, cheering and laughing until she had accidently tripped over Ditzy’s saddle bags. Now that she was settled calmly down, Ditzy had left her to eat while she picked up her bags. She straightened out the first bag and sat it nicely by the front door. But upon picking up the second bag, a small red letter fell out and landed on the ground at her hooves.

Ditzy leaned down and picked the letter up in her teeth. With one eye she looked down at the writing on the enveloped. It read Applebloom, from your cousin in Appleoosa. Ditzy began to panic. Any other pony would have been fine with waiting a day, but Ditzy was always serious about her job. She’d never let a letter be delivered late, and she knew it’d eat away at her until she got it where it needed to go. She stood and thought for a long while, until she heard Dinky trotting up behind her. Ditzy turned around to see her daughter smiling big at her before letting out a small yawn.

“Ready for bed already?” she said to the little filly.


Dinky nodded, so Ditzy gathered her up with one hoof and flew them back to Dinky’s room. Ditzy sat her daughter into bed and covered her up. The letter was still on her mind the whole time.

“Dinky…I’ve got to run out for a moment. There’s something I’ve got to do, and it won’t take me long,” Ditzy told her.

“Don’t go mommy! You’ll get all wet again!” the little filly’s concern made Ditzy feel special, and she thought about how she couldn’t have asked for a better daughter.

“I won’t be gone long,” Ditzy told her, standing up and getting ready to leave the room. “If you’re still awake, I’ll read you a book when I get back.”

“But mommy, I want—“ Dinky was cut off as Ditzy quickly left and closed the door.

Ditzy didn’t want to argue with her daughter. She just knew she had to get the letter to its owner quickly. She didn’t care if the Apple Family thought she was crazy or stupid, she knew it was her job to get it to them. She laced up one of her saddle bags and threw it around her body. She tucked the letter gently inside, and began to head out the door, just as the first crash of thunder was heard over Ponyville.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wind whipped and tugged at Ditzy as she tried her best to fly straight over to the Apple Farm. She swopped low, hoping that the houses would deter the gusts that kept rolling her in the air, but all they served to do was provide a hard surface for her to be blown into. Still she struggled, making it a little further with each passing minutes There was no light to lead Ditzy, she just hoped she was going the right way. After a long while, she did begin to see apple trees below her. She knew she was close to where she needed to be.

And that’s when something white and hot crackled through the air, and a white flash exploded around her, erasing everything from her vision completely.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the morning, when the storm had finally subsided, Rainbow Dash was one of the first ponies out to scout out the damage. She saw trees uprooted, homes ripped in two, and small animals that had lost their homes in the storm. She was also the first one to find the body. On the outskirts of Sweet Apple Acres, Dash had thought some hay and farm equipment had been blown away from the farm. As she got closer, she could see the charred wound that was burned into the side of the what she now knew was a pony. Quickly, Dash flew to first get Applejack, and then darted off to the library to get Twilight.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dinky woke up to the sound of someone beating on the front door. She called out softly for her mother, but there was no answer. She climbed gently out of bed, and took a quick walk around the house. Ditzy almost never left Dinky alone, so the filly began to get instantly worried. She hadn’t seen her mother since she left the night before. She’d stayed up as late as she could waiting for her mother to get home, until finally sleep had overtaken her, and she’d passed out in her bed. The pounding continued for another minute, while Dinky sat down for a moment, wondering what she should do.

Suddenly, the ponies outside decided to open the door themselves, and in walked Cheerilee and Twilight Sparkle. Dinky knew Twilight a little bit, knowing that she was a unicorn like herself, and was willing to teach her magic if her mother had wanted her too. Dinky walked out from where she was slowly, and saw both ponies did not look the least bit happy.

“Have you seen my mommy Ms. Cheerilee? “ Dinky asked hopefully.

“Dinky..sweetie…there’s been an accident,” Cheerilee said to the little filly, tears beginning to well up in her eyes.

“An…accident…what..what kind? Did somepony fall down a well or something?”

Cheerilee turned away, unable to face her student as Twilight stepped forward.

“Dinky…your mother…she-“ Twilight was suddenly cut off.

“She left last night, and I never saw her come back! I didn’t mind her going but, I just…” Dinky suddenly realized what the two ponies had come to say to her.

“Dinky…I’m sorry,” even Twilight was having trouble breaking the news to the filly.

Tears welled up in the little filly’s eyes. She didn’t want to believe what they were implying. She couldn’t.

“I…I just wanted mommy’s kisses,” she choked out, before she broke down and began to cry.