• Published 27th Sep 2017
  • 838 Views, 81 Comments

Haunted Wasteland - forbloodysummer



Fluttershy is missing - abducted by sirens! And the only way Spitfire is finding her is by learning how sirens think.

  • ...
1
 81
 838

a

Back in the observation room. Still hungry. Spitfire leaned against the window, idly watching Sonata sitting alone in the interview room again. Princess Twilight paced up and down in the middle of the limited space, and Starlight had resumed her previous position slumped against the opposite wall.

“We need to know more,” Twilight said to the room as she reached one end of it, turned on her hoof and paced back the way she came. “The only other siren we know of is on the island of Marewo, in the New Hebridles.”

Spitfire winced. She had a fairly clear idea of where the princess would order her to go next, and that was a long flight. At least it was good weather season. Actually, those islands were one of those smug places with great weather all year round.

“The New Hebridles?” Starlight asked, scratching the top of her head with a hoof. “They’re in the South West, aren’t they? Off the coast from Las Pegasus?”

“Yeah, that’s them,” Spitfire confirmed. She’d only been there a couple of times, unwinding on mini-breaks after Wonderbolt tours had ended in Las Pegasus. The South Luna Ocean really was a serene part of the world, ideal for kicking back and forgetting everything for a while. Ten times too far to commute to Wonderbolts HQ from, though. She’d checked.

But she’d never been to that particular island, and there was a reason for that. “I do have a contact on Marewo,” she said, trying to hide her grimace and knowing she should just be thankful to have a lead. Finding Fluttershy was more important than personal discomfort.

“I wouldn’t bother...!” came a sing-song voice from the next room. What the– Spitfire felt like the floor had fallen out from under her as she realised what she was seeing: in the interview room beyond the glass, Sonata was leaning her chair back just as she had hours before, only now she was looking directly at Spitfire, mouth hanging open as she sang out her warning.

Rooted wide-eyed to the spot, Spitfire tried to focus on how it wasn’t nearly as bad as the magic mane thing, but she’d gone through one-too-many Sonata-related shocks that day. That pony was terrifying, plain and simple. As in, she was terrifying, and that was plain and simple. Though the other way worked too.

“...She can hear us?!” Twilight said as she pulled up beside Spitfire, looking at Sonata aghast.

“I’m a siren,” Sonata cackled, “my whole gig revolves around music and pitching. My eyesight is average, but my ears are top notch, thanks.”

She dropped the chair back to all four legs, then stood and pulled herself up onto the table. She lay on her side there with her rear legs stretched out, supporting her head on one forehoof and posing for all she was worth. Spitfire wasn’t quite sure why.

“That does make sense, your highness,” Spitfire grudgingly admitted, putting it together that Sonata couldn’t actually see them, but could pinpoint their position with her ears and look in that direction, the result of which was uncanny.

All three mares in the observation room made a concerted effort to ignore Sonata’s gleeful look at that.

“Anyway,” Sonata said, “I wouldn’t bother asking Lightning; she’s a bitch.”

How did Sonata know Lightning Dust?! It could be a different pony named Lightning, Spitfire supposed, but on the same, barely inhabited island, that seemed the longest of long shots. Also, from Sonata’s description, it certainly sounded like the Lightning Dust that Spitfire remembered.

Sonata finished, “That’s why she and Aria are so good together.”

Oh right. It was going to be one of those days. Where fate would be merciless to her just for its own amusement. The siren anypony had yet to say a kind word about was coupled up with the reckless Wonderbolt Academy expellee who probably bore a grudge against Spitfire. Wasn’t that going to be a fun visit? She found she was clenching her jaw tightly, and made herself stop.

Twilight and Starlight didn’t seem to appreciate the predicament, but then the princess had probably forgotten Lightning, and Starlight never met her. Or maybe they said nothing out of knowing Sonata would overhear. Either way, the silence wasn’t broken until Sonata spoke up again herself.

“So, Fluttershy could do worse, huh?” Sonata waggled her eyebrows at Spitfire suggestively.

A moment’s puzzlement gave way to a blush and a sharp intake of breath. She did say that, didn’t she, before going into the room with Sonata? It felt like weeks ago.

Way ahead of Spitfire in responding, though, Twilight snorted, “Really? This is Fluttershy, she has the nicest mane and tail in Ponyville, or so I’m reliably informed.”

Sonata’s gaze appeared to flick between Spitfire and the princess, but she gave no outward sign that she’d heard what had been said.

“Better not let Rarity hear you say that,” Starlight commented from behind them.

Twilight turned away from the window, saying ruefully, “It was Rarity who brought it to my attention.” Much befitting her title, a smile could be heard in the princess’s voice as she spoke of her friend. “She said it took her half an hour in front of a mirror to look as good as Fluttershy did after rolling straight out of bed.”

As Starlight made no audible response, Spitfire shifted so she faced into the room with her back to the glass, and from there saw Starlight’s raised eyebrows and the disbelieving quirk of her lips.

“It was before your time here,” Twilight said, “but it wasn’t Rarity who had the modelling career out of those two.”

Despite having heard the story a couple of times before, Spitfire had never managed to picture Fluttershy as a model. There was no denying she had the features for it, naturally; but Spitfire had met models, and, as a general rule, detested them. They went to such effort to appear as something, rather than to be something. Especially those who would go through physical training, like weightlifting, to look a certain way, instead of for the increased physical performance. It went against everything she stood for; a pale mockery of athleticism she knew could never compete – aesthetically or literally – with a Wonderbolt.

And thankfully, Fluttershy had none of that pretentiousness about her, or at least hadn’t the few times Spitfire had met her, and had never come across that way in things Dash had said.

“Wow,” Starlight said, nodding in that way that said she still only half believed the princess, before her features shifted into a smirk. “Bet she took that well.”

“She was very happy for her friend, and supportive of her success,” Twilight assured in a strained voice, the tips of her ears becoming red. She cleared her throat before adding, “In her own way.”

The look Starlight sent Spitfire asked if she believed the story for a second, and suggested that if so, she’d be the only one.

“She got very, very jealous,” Spitfire said.

Starlight gasped, both forehooves flying to her mouth, in the most over-the-top display of fake scandal Spitfire had seen since her team reacted the last time Fleetfoot did something nice. Twilight’s surprise was a lot more genuine, if way more understated.

“Sorry,” Spitfire explained, “one of your closest friends is on my squad, and likes the sound of her own voice.” The silent nods of sudden understanding spoke of how Rainbow’s friends knew her character flaws all too well. It seemed strange to smile at that, but there was something touching about their firm commitment to her, however loud she got. “And she’s not nearly as tactful as you, Princess.”

Grudgingly, Twilight nodded. Then, after a moment’s pause and a steadying breath, she was all business again. “I’d like you to fly to Marewo and check out Aria.”

Yep, there it is. Spitfire would need a holiday by the time Fluttershy got back, she was sure of it. As sure as that she wouldn’t be taking it in the New Hebridles.

If they could spare the ponypower, it’d be safer as a tandem flight, since flying over open water had a habit of making pegasi nod off. She needed a fast flier, stationed nearby, and anything that could help her handle Lightning without the excursion descending into hooficuffs. Only one pony fit the bill, though she might later regret not choosing Soarin and his calming influence.

“Rainbow might be the ideal pony to take with me, if Lightning’s there,” she said. Protocol said investigations required a partner, anyway – something about bias and backup, though she’d never really looked into that side of it.

And with luck, as Rainbow and the princess were such good friends, there was even a chance that the departure could be delayed until after food. It would be a crazy trip to make on an empty stomach, and hopefully Rainbow would impress the importance of that on Twilight.

“I really wouldn’t do that...!” Sonata sang out from behind Spitfire, who was not alone in jumping at the input from somepony she’d almost forgotten was still listening. She and Twilight span to face the window again, seeing Sonata on the table as before, but now lying on her front with her chin resting seductively on her forelegs, her back legs and tail stretched out behind her showing off how pleasantly toned they were. She’d even mussed up her mane, and she batted her eyelashes in Spitfire’s direction as she spoke.

“They don’t like blue ponies.” Sonata gave an empty-headed and far-too-innocent shrug, then looked up to one side fondly reminiscing, and smiled, “Can’t think why.” Sonata’s eyes widened as she gave the tiniest shake of her head, looking straight at them with ‘I know, right?’ written plainly across her face. “Like I said, she’s a bitch.”

Silently, the princess turned her head to Spitfire, holding her eyes for a long moment. Their gaze spoke of Twilight weighing the risks of the decision, after which she nodded grimly. Spitfire took it as both a confirmation and a dismissal, and she wordlessly snapped a salute before smartly turning to leave. Whatever Twilight’s usual feelings on salutes, the scenario was too formal to avoid them, and Spitfire noted that the princess didn’t look displeased with the gesture.

“I thought Aria was your friend?” she heard Twilight say, noting the change of tone indicating she was addressing Sonata through the glass.

“She is, she’s my best friend,” came Sonata’s reply, as Spitfire walked towards the interview room door.

Rainbow was in the hospital, they had said. That would be Spitfire’s first destination, then, and as soon as the sedatives had worn off enough for Rainbow to fly, they’d be on their way.

“You just called your best friend a bitch?” she overheard Starlight say.

Spitfire’s stomach rumbled, but thankfully she was too far away from the others by that point for them to hear. She couldn’t waste any time in getting to Rainbow, but maybe the window of her recovering from the tranquilisers would be long enough for Spitfire to eat something. A meal small enough to fly on, but large enough to make up for those she’d missed that day.

“She is,” Sonata stated. “I mean, I know that more than anyone, I’m her friend!”

In fairness to Sonata, Spitfire might have said just the same about Fleetfoot, and loved her for it. Fleet probably would’ve taken it as a compliment, too.

Hoof on the door handle, Spitfire cast a glance over her shoulder, taking in the room for a final time, where Twilight and Starlight were sharing a look but saying nothing.

“...What?” Sonata asked as Spitfire turned away again. Hoping the noise wasn’t loud enough to distract Sonata, Spitfire pushed down the handle and pulled the door towards her. She squinted at the brightness as her eyes adjusted to everything that wasn’t the darkened sweatbox where she’d spent far too long that day.

“Nothing,” the princess said behind her, “I’m just coming to appreciate that if you’re that callous towards your closest friends, it’s no wonder you didn’t help us at all.”

Fresh, pleasantly fragrant air welcomed Spitfire as she trotted through the doorway, and a ruffle travelled through her feathers unprompted. Right then, time to find somepony to ask for directions to Ponyville General. She pulled the door shut behind her, with the last thing she heard being, “Ooh, looks like you’ve learned something today. ‘Dear Princess Celestia...’ ”

Author's Note:

And that's it for this arc :twilightsmile:

Now I'm going to get the next arc written, and then start publishing it in regular instalments when it's done. I'm 1,200 words into it so far. After six chapters in a dim room in Ponyville, the adventure proper begins.

I am worried that the ending of this story will be compromised by the season seven finale, but realistically I don't think I'm going to get the rest of it written by then :flutterrage: So, whatever happens, the story will stay the same, completely unaffected by any of season seven.

This is probably a good point for me to mention the two people responsible for all this - NaiadSagaIotaOar and Snowflake Dissonance. The former persuaded me to write this story in the first place (and proofread six chapters in one sitting, at short notice), and the latter to include Sonata rather than just Adagio.

Oh, and this is Maewo, in real life, where the next arc will take place: