• Published 7th Oct 2017
  • 935 Views, 19 Comments

Hearts of Steel - Lunar Incursion - foxgloves



Trapped in a conflict which she detested, Velvet Drop must navigate a world gone awry.

  • ...
1
 19
 935

Royal Dignitaries


Luna


Being an omnipotent being with the power to lift the celestial bodies themselves can be jarring fact at times, but for Luna and Celestia, it was but a simple reminder floating about in their vast mind of theirs. Since its inception, the two sisters have ruled the land of Equestria with peace and tranquility, treating their citizens with kindness and their enemies with fire. That is one of the many responsibilities a leader must take into consideration: to ensure the safety and welfare of their people above all else.

Sometimes, however, these responsibilities might come at a price; and for the eldest sister, Celestia, these responsibilities meant that she has to work day and night in order to fulfill her current duties. Luna takes in the caffeine-scented smell of her coffee -- a personal favourite of hers -- whilst watching Twilight stressing over Stalliongrad's secession.

The lavender pony paced across the room, making mental calculations whilst sipping her cup of coffee. She lets out an irritated groan. "What did we do wrong as to make them secede from Equestria!?"

Interrupted by Twilight's act, Luna laid her newspaper onto the floor and sighed quietly. "From what Sister has told me about the place, Stalliongrad has always been the black sheep of Equestria," she replied nonchalantly. "It was only a matter of time before the city seceded from the kingdom entirely."

"Still, we could've done something that'd make them avoid from leaving the kingdom. I mean, losing an entire state is pretty big news," her breathing was becoming a lot quicker, hooves tapping on the floor at a rapid pace.

The other alicorn stood up and walked towards Luna. She holds her in place with her hooves and stared into her eyes. "Twilight, calm down," she ordered sternly. "Just because a city who isn't pleased with our reign is leaving the kingdom doesn't mean it's the end of the world; it's their choice and we, as their former rulers, must respect their decision -- with some exceptions, of course."

Twilight let out a stressful sigh and gives Luna a hug. "Thanks for keeping my grounded, Luna," said Twilight, still hugging the other alicorn. "Just... Thanks," she chuckled briefly and continued hugging Luna.

After what feel like an eternity, Celestia storms into the room, her once-mystical hair ruined by the intensity of the courtroom in which she was in. "Good morning, Sister--"

"Good morning, Lulu," the white alicorn said quickly, signing a couple of papers while doing so. Luna reacted by raising her eyebrow slightly, visibly worried for her sister's current situation.

"Sister, are you okay?" She inquired with the voice that only a concern sibling could make. "You're usually never this frantic when it comes to your papers."

"I am fine, Luna," the older alicorn answered quickly, stress in her voice. "The papers which declare Stalliongrad as its own state just came in, and now they're demanding for a couple of towns in the outskirts of neighbouring regions to join their state," she continued.

"That is outrageous! Surely, they know that these towns do not want to be in their crooked nation?"

"We're not entirely sure about that, Luna. Stalliongrad has been known for exerting their influence onto their neighbours,"

"Still, my point remains: it is simply nonsensical for them to demand us territory which other states rightfully own!"

"Indeed it is, but they have threatened to use violence if we don't comply with their demands."

"That is ludicrous! If they want to fight fire with fire, then so be it--"

"But what of the ponies, Luna -- the ones we've sworn to protect?" the elder retorted, her voice shaking. "What would we, their rulers, have to say to their friends -- their families -- when they asks about their loved ones' condition"

Luna stood there quietly, flabbergasted my her sister's outburst. The seconds that passed didn't felt like wind blowing against their exquisite coats; time, it seemed, went slower for the both of them. She lets out a deep sigh. Celestia had always have the tendency to value the lives of her subjects and compatriots more than her own -- a characteristic which one might find in a mother. The elder sister let out a tired sigh. "I need not to be the herald of their loved one's passing..."

Luna slowly approached Celestia and wrapped her sister in her arms. "You care too much, dear Sister," she whispers quietly into Celestia's ear. They let go of each other, Celestia's head stooped slightly. "What do you suggest we should do?" asked Luna, grabbing the papers delicately with her magic. A brief moment of silence followed soon after; and at long last, Celestia slowly raised her head and stared at her sister's deep, blue eyes.

"I say we should hand them most of the towns. The remainder will stay with us."

Luna smiles slightly. "Then it is decided. Do what you must, dear Sister."

The white alicorn gave her sister a motherly smile and hugs her briefly. Grabbing the papers with her magic, Celestia trotted towards the door and winks at Twilight. "Don't have too much fun now!" she teased playfully, shutting the door in front of her. Luna giggled uncontrollably when she saw the lavender pony's face, flushed in red.

Luna flashes a devilish grin at Twilight, causing the young Alicorn to blush even more. "That depends on how she's feeling right now, dear Sister!" she shouts loudly, followed by a fit of giggles and chuckles from the other side of the door.

The sun falls below the horizon, and as the palace is bathed by an orange hue, a yellow daffodil petal falls onto the ground.


Celestia


Ruling a nation is hard -- that is a fact which all leaders, no matter their differences, can agree upon. The delicacy of the state's internal politics have always -- and will always -- hang on a fine thread, waiting impatiently for the wind that is the leader's decision to blow them off; the complex entity that is the state's administrative department takes everything -- including the very sandwich a citizen eats -- into consideration, while also managing the machine it resides in; and the leader, themselves, must be held at high esteem if they ever wish to succeed.

But one thing will always remain the bane of Celestia's existence: foreign politics -- oh, how gruesome they can be at times. The papers sent by Stalliongrad had all been signed by hers truly, and the public -- especially the press -- is dying to know the Princess's outlook on the whole situation. The sun hung in the middle of the sky, blaring its beams upon her palace, and Celestia wandered aimlessly throughout the pristine halls of her palace, pondering tentatively about the current state of things. Lost in her thoughts, the white Alicorn didn't see where she was going, and, consequently, bumped into one of her subjects. She quickly gathered herself and helped the poor pony get back onto their feet.

Celestia gave him a gentle smile; he smiles back. "Good afternoon, your Majesty," the mysterious pony bowed politely, which is soon followed by him adjusting his collars.

"Good afternoon to you too, Spring Morning," she bows slightly; it's always important to treat your subjects with civility and respect. "How are things going for you?" she continued.

"All is doing well, your majesty. And I see your sun is as beautiful as ever -- much like the pony who wields it," his accent is very.. distinct -- one hailing from the Shire, across the Yaruga river.

"Thank you, Spring. And I'm guessing you did something with your hair;" she inquired, "it is interesting, if I do say so myself."

He blushed briefly and stroke his short, curly hair. "I am thankful, your Majesty. I'm -- say -- experimenting with more... unique designs for my hair. Thought a makeover was long overdue"

"Whatever design you come up next time, I'm sure it will be great. Goodbye for now, my subject," she gave him a small nod before returning to her previous thoughts.

"And you, princess!" were the only words she could hear before the rest of his words were drowned by the shower of thoughts streaming into her mind.

The lone princess entered the great halls of her courtroom -- a marvel of Pony engineering. The room itself has seen multiple renditions throughout its lifetime, but the pristine and elegant nature of this courtroom remains as Celestia's favourite design. She takes in the intoxicating smell of lilacs and gooseberries which permeated themselves around the delicate lavender flowers Luna had hung a while back -- something to do with pleasing dreams or what not.

She approached the large throne located at the end of the room, adorned by wonderful jewels imported from the great mines of Hjortland. As she gets closer to the throne, she noticed the heavy layers of paper which sat on her throne. The alicorn sighed deeply. She had mused with the possibility that the day would be a relaxing day -- one where she would spend the time sitting by the castle pond, tending to the lilies and her delightful phoenix, Philharmonica.

Encasing her beloved quill with her magic, she dipped it into a bottle of ink and began to read the countless treatises, reports, and cases that had presented itself to the royal princess. Humming her favourite song, Celestia skimmed through paper after paper; and the moon shone brightly that night.


Author's Note:

if only i could write in lower caps :((
another day, another chapter
hope you