• Published 1st Oct 2017
  • 1,399 Views, 17 Comments

My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic: The Broken Diamond - SuperPinkBrony12



(Side story to "My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic: Stallion Edition".) The Cutie Mark Crusaders face the most unexpected challenge of their young lives, when they must help Diamond Tiara turn her life around. Can they actually help the bully?

  • ...
1
 17
 1,399

Part V: The Pony I Wanna Be, Tiara Speaks Up!

The Crusaders were determined to keep Diamond from confessing what she'd overheard, for their sakes and for her own. "Diamond Tiara! Think hard about the choice you're makin' right now!" Apple Bloom cautioned.

"Remember all that talk about wanting to be a better pony?" Rumble asked. "Well now's your chance! Just think about what you're about to do, please! Once those words come out, there's no taking them back!"

"It's not too late! You can still walk away!" Sweetie Belle added.

"Please, don't make the same mistake you made during the election!" Scootaloo advised. "You may not get another chance like this!"

But Diamond Tiara only snapped back angrily! "Be quiet, all of you! You're not gonna change my mind! I've already thought about this and my decision is final!" Then in a normal tone of voice the filly added. "So, if I could get back to where I was before I was so rudely interrupted, I have an announcement to make, one that I think you'll all very much want to hear."

However, at that very moment, the schoolhouse door flung open, and who should be standing in the doorway but Spoiled Rich herself? And if her narrowed eyebrows were any indication, she was quite furious. Whatever doubts there might have been about her mood, were quickly erased when she angrily bellowed! "Diamond Dazzle Tiara Rich!"

Diamond gulped, the words she'd wanted to say died on her tongue. It took her a minute to think of a response. "What are you doing here, Mother?" Of course, the filly knew that was a stupid question.

Spoiled's stern glare and angry tone of voice didn't change or falter one bit, as she explained to her daughter. "I just happened to be here for a meeting of the school board, in which I rightfully stopped that irresponsible new student pony president from wasting our budget money to buy new playground equipment. And yet this is the sight my eyes see when we adjourn for the day? My daughter, my own fur and blood, associating with confused, insignificant lowlifes that haven't even gotten their cutie marks after all this time?"

"Lowlifes?! Why you little-" Scootaloo angrily replied, buzzing her wings as she prepared to give Spoiled a piece of her mind.

Rumble stepped forward and blocked Scootaloo, shaking his head. "She's not worth it, Scootaloo."

"Indeed, nice to see one of you has a lick of common sense," Spoiled snarled back. "I could very well have you suspended if you so much as lay one hoof on me."

"That's a risk I might be willin' to take if ya keep this up." Apple Bloom warned.

Spoiled paid no attention to Apple Bloom's remark, and instead marched over to her daughter as she continued to lecture. "Diamond Tiara, if I've told you once, I've told a thousand times already. Socializing with their kind is not the way you move up in Equestria, let alone society itself! After all the hard work I put into raising you, teaching you to be aware of your social standing, and even personally supporting your re-election campaign at great personal expense, you soil my teachings and spit in my face by daring to associate with these worthless losers?! I suppose I wasn't thorough enough in ensuring my lessons were crystal clear the first time, but all that can be forgiven. Now come along, Diamond, we've both wasted enough time here. And just wait until your father hears about this, I imagine he'll have a few 'choice words' for you."

But to the surprise of everypony, almost immediately after Spoiled had finished speaking and turned and began to trot away, Diamond spoke up. "No, Mother!" She said firmly.

Spoiled spun around suddenly. "Excuse me young filly?!" She snapped, as though appalled at the suggestion her daughter would even think of talking back to her.

"You heard me," Tiara firmly replied, her expression not changing. "You've spent your entire life acting like a high horse, just like those uppercrusts in Canterlot. And ever since I was born you've been raising me to follow in your hoofsteps! At first I thought this was fine, and up until a day or two ago I did because I saw no better way. I had hoped to please you, but nothing was ever good enough for you. Not even me finally getting my cutie mark was enough to put a smile on your face, you always found fault no matter what I said or did. And now, thanks to them," She gestured at the Cutie Mark Crusaders. "I realize that I want something you don't have, something you clearly see no use for-friends! Genuine friends who respect me for who I am, not because I'm rich or because you forced me to befriend them like you did with Silver Spoon!"

Everypony gasped, they could hardly believe their ears! No one in their right mind would've dared to defy Spoiled so openly, not even those who had nothing but contempt for her!

Spoiled briefly recoiled in shock! Then, desperate to try and turn the situation around, she stomped her hoof down and said sternly. "N-now, that's quite enough, my little Diamond! You step away from those blank flanks this instant, they've poisoned your mind!"

"You just don't get it, do you?!" Tiara snorted back. "'Those blank flanks' are the Cutie Mark Crusaders, the same ponies who even after all the torment I put them through following your advice, still reached out to me when nopony else would. You need to stop calling them such mean and hurtful names, it's insulting and disrespectful, and quite frankly you should know better seeing as you're the adult and all. You see them as nothing but losers, which just shows how little you actually know. I'm proud to call them my friends! They are working harder than anypony I've ever seen to get their cutie marks, and I gurantee you that they will get them one day! The day when they discover their true talent! And when they do, I know for a fact that their cutie marks will be better than yours and they won't see it as an excuse to pick on others they deem beneath them."

Spoiled was reduced to stuttering, she couldn't believe this turn of events. "B-b-b..."

"Now, you've already made quite the scene here today, and I don't think it'll take much for word to slip out," Diamond hinted, as she approached her still trembling mother. "So, before you say or do anything else to embarrass yourself, why don't you make yourself useful for a change and do me a favor?" Hoofing a slip of paper to her mother, the pink coated filly then instructed. "Now, will you kindly deliver this to Father? And if he asks, tell him it's coming out of your salary, the same salary you wouldn't offer to the rightfully elected student pony president when he needed it most. Think you can do that, or should I spare you the trouble of humiliating yourself further?"

Reluctantly, realizing that she'd been beaten, Spoiled relented and obeyed. "Y-yes, of course, dear. R-right away..." She stammered, and nervously trotted off with the slip of paper clenched firmly in her mouth.

Tiara, beaming with pride and confidence, approached her new friends and said to them. "Thank you so much, Crusaders. I owe you more than you could imagine. Obviously I've known since I got my cutie mark that my special talent is in getting other ponies to do what I want, but for the longest time I couldn't figure how I could make that work for the good of all. But now you've given me the confidence I needed to see through my mother's lies, and tell her just what I think of her trying to control my life."

"And the note?" Scootaloo asked, raising an eyebrow.

Diamond smiled brightly. "That was a request for my dad. I just asked him to donate the new playground equipment, and the best part is, Mom's going to pay for it! Serves her right for not granting Pipsqueak the money just to spite him. Oh, and by the way," She then trotted up to Pip as all the colts and fillies cheered in delight. "I bet you were really worried for a moment there, weren't you? Ha! Well, I think it's all gonna work out just fine, Mister President! Here's to a long and successful tenure." She delivered that last line with a wink.


A short time later, the new playground equipment arrived, and Diamond was more than eager to take charge. This time though, it was for the good of all. And it could be heard in her song that she was happily singing, that all agree went something like this:

We'll build a playground.

For all of us to enjoy.

So full of games.

That there's enough for each girl and boy.

I want to help, and to do.

Everything that I can.

And I'm here to show you I've changed.

So listen up, here's the plan!

At first the colts and fillies were reluctant to believe Diamond Tiara, even after what they'd witnessed. But she quickly proved that her change of heart was no act as she approached many of the same ponies she'd tried to intimidate just days ago. And she sweetly gave them orders such as: "Hey there, you with the amazing strength. Can you help them move that merry-go-round across the lawn? Thank you so much!" or. "You with the super teeth, we need you to help with that teeter-totter. You got it! That's the spirit! Keep it up!"

Even with Diamond pitching in and taking charge, work was slow at first. But fortunately the cavalry soon arrived in the form of Shining Armor, Twilight, and all their friends (not to mention the CMC's older siblings, both official and honorary). Many of them in particular were surprised by Diamond's new behavior and outlook on life. "So you're the same Diamond Tiara the Cutie Mark Crusaders have told me so much about, huh?" Shining Armor was heard to say, when he finally got a good look at the filly. "Funny, I expected you to be a bit older, and a bit taller."

"Hey!" Diamond playfully whined.

Shining responded by lightly ruffling the filly's mane. "I'm just messing with you. It's nice to finally meet you, but I gotta say, you're not at all how the Crusaders made you out to be."

"What can I say? I've changed for the better, and it's all thanks to those wonderful blank flanks," Tiara happily beamed. "I can't believe I didn't think to come to you sooner for help though, or any of your friends."

"Indeed you should have," Shining advised. "Fancy Pants and Fleur would've been more than happy to set Spoiled straight. They've dealt with a lot of snobby uppercrusts in their time, and I suppose if Spoiled is any indication, they're not unique to Canterlot," He shook his head as he added. "It's a shame, but I guess some ponies just don't know better. But if you ever need help again with any family issues, don't be afraid to speak up, okay kid? We're not mind readers, we can't solve a problem if we don't know it's there."

"Thank you, Prince Shining Armor! I will!" Diamond happily replied. Then she took notice of a familiar silver coated filly who was working all by herself. Diamond realized at once who that was, Silver Spoon, her still ex-friend at the moment. "Excuse me, Prince Shining Armor. I have something I need to do, one last act of kindness to cement my redemption." She apologized, and then hastily scooted off to find Silver Spoon working all alone on a fence.

Despite the workload, Silver Spoon was anything but pleased to see Diamond Tiara again. "Finally come crawling back to me?" She asked her ex-friend. "You know, I don't like being treated like your sidekick."

"I realize that now, and I'm sorry I ever treated you like that," Diamond apologized sincerely. "Look, I'm not asking for you to take me back as your friend now, I know it's gonna take some time for you to trust me again and that's fine. I just wanted to say, I'm sorry. I should've told you sooner about Mother, about what she was like."

Silver was silent for a good few minutes, before she sighed and said back to Tiara. "Oh, what the heck. I can't stay mad at you forever. But if we're going to be friends again, we're going to be equals. So nomore of you calling all the shots, got it?"

Tiara nodded. "Crystal. Now come on, you look like you could use a helping hoof or two."


Once she'd patched things up with Silver Spoon and helped her build and paint the fence, Diamond Tiara's confidence had nowhere to go but up. And she could be heard to sing triumphantly as construction of the new playground was completed faster than anypony could've anticipated:

There's so much that I can do.

To help everypony else!

I finally see the light that shines in me.

And I know I can be my better self.

I can free the past.

'Cause now the future's shining bright for me!

My cutie mark has set me free.

To do what's right, and be the pony I wanna be.

And be the pony I wanna be!

Author's Note:

Diamond's showdown and standing up to Spoiled needed to have more weight behind it here, and I also decided now would be as good a time as any to show why I removed Fancy Pants and Fleur from where they were in the original episode.

And I opted to expand on Diamond restoring her friendship with Silver Spoon, seeing as that got glanced over in the original episode, and with neither Diamond or Silver appearing in the show since in a speaking role, there's nothing to indicate if they're truly back to being friends or not.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten the other big change of "Crusaders of The Lost Mark". That'll be coming up in the next and final part, which should be out tomorrow.