• Published 25th Sep 2017
  • 12,885 Views, 1,209 Comments

An Equestrian Witcher - OblivionShadow



A witcher from the Northern Realms finds himself sitting in Equestria, turned into a pony. When the fight with the Leshen began it was business as usual, but a second attack and a sharp pain to the back find him waking up in a world he can't imagin

  • ...
45
 1,209
 12,885

PreviousChapters Next
99: Sasa's Day Out

Sasa looked up as the black Unicorn moved away from the exuberant pink mare for the second time in under a minute. She had been slowly invading his space for the last few seconds and so far he looked to be putting up with it until she started hovering in the air again. Sasa chuckled at the discomfort he didn’t seem to realize he was showing until her laugh caught his attention. She got to her paws and moved to the side of him to create a buffer between him and Pinkie.

“Pinkie I am sure that you can handle this alone. What purpose would having me there serve?” He asked her.

Sasa looked at the pink mare as she stopped her advance and seemed to be thinking it over. “Your right I need to think about that before I come to talk to you. You ask lots of questions for a regular Unicorn.” She said to him as she seemed to calm down.

Sasa tilted her head at the inflection in the mare’s voice as she spun on her heel and bounced away from them. She looked at the black pony who was staring after the mare with an unhappy look in his eyes. He glanced down at her and she shrugged.

“I don’t think she realizes half the things she says so I wouldn’t think about her words too hard.” She advised.

“I can’t help but think she knows something.” He grumbled.

“She is pretty in tune with things around here if I am being honest. But I don’t think she has any idea of what you really are and what you are really here to do.” She said to him.

“I can only hope your right.” He agreed as he moved away from her and toward the barn.

She chuckled as she fell in behind him.


Oblivion said nothing as Applejack pointed out a broken tree off to the side. “I assume you want it uprooted?”

“Yup.” She agreed and stepped off to the side to allow him to work.

His magic flared as he bid it grip the tree in its entirety. Sasa stepped back and hid behind another tree as she peeked out from behind it to watch him uproot the tree. He gave a violent magical yank and the tree began to come apart in his grip. The Witcher said nothing as he ripped it from the ground and set it off to the side. Applejack nodded as he glanced her way.

“I trust you want it in pieces?” She nodded at his question. “How many?”

“Just firewood.”

“Understood.”

Sasa came out from behind her tree as he broke the tree into pieces and set the pieces in a pile as he finished. He looked at the mare as she motioned for him to head back to the farm and finish his own tasks and he made for the barn. Sasa fell in at his heels as she huffed.

“What is it?” He asked her, sensing the cat’s annoyance.

“I should have stayed at the barn if this was what she wanted.” She groused. “I thought it would be a bigger task than it was.”

He looked over his shoulder at her as she followed him. “Grousing will get you nowhere.”

“I am aware of that.” She said to him. “But I am allowed to complain about walking in the heat.”

“It’s not that warm out.”

“Says the climate-controlled Witcher.” She argued. “You barely feel the temperature from what I can tell.”

“I do, just needs to be an extreme heat or cold.”

“See? Climate controlled.” She pointed out. “You’re like most stallions and you give off a fair amount of heat but it doesn’t affect you, just the poor unfortunate kitten that sleeps next to you.”

“You can sleep on the floor.”

“Or you can.” She snapped at him.

He felt a grin tug at his mouth before he simply shrugged. “The blankets are going to give off that heat and they will be what is warm. That is why I pointed out the floor.”

She was quiet as she seemed to be considering his point. “My point about giving off heat stands.”

He chuckled under his breath as he saw Pinkie dart toward the barn and race inside of it. “Oh no.”

“What?” She asked as she drew up next to him as he slowed his steps. “Oh, it’s Pinkie. That explains your hesitation.”

The mare raced out of the barn and her eyes fell on him as she darted toward him. He stopped in place to allow her to slow down before she reached him. Her eyes were wide as she looked almost nervous before she spoke to him.

“Oblivion, I have a problem.” She said to him.

“I’m sure it’s a small one knowing you.” He replied.

“No, it’s huge!” She shouted and held out her forelegs to show how big her problem was.

“Okay.”

“There is a new donkey in town.”

“Okay.” He repeated as she went on.

“I am trying to make friends with him and he is just not liking anything I try.” She said to him. “He keeps telling me to go away.”

“Have you considered listening to him?” Oblivion pointed out. “It might be that he does not appreciate you blitzing him as soon as he gets to town.”

“But I’m friends with everypony.” She argued. “I just need to know how to get him to be my friend from you.”

“From me? What would I know about that subject?” He asked her.

“You don’t like anypony.”

“It’s not that I do not like them I just prefer to stick to my own.” He replied. “I am around the six of you most often for example.”

“So maybe if I get the others involved they can help?”

“No.” Oblivion quickly said to her. “No that will backfire spectacularly.”

“So how do I get him to like me?”

Oblivion sighed as he could feel the beginnings of a headache as it grew behind his eyes. “Give him time. He may prefer his solitude and his life as it is. It’s not your place to change it or try to force anything onto him.”

“But…”

“It’s not your place.” He said again. “Given time he might be more receptive to your attempts but… You’re going to ignore what I’m saying, aren’t you?”

He was watching the mare as she listened to him and he could see he was losing her attention. Her spirit fluctuated and he sighed again. “You can come with me and help.”

“Why would I do that?” He asked her.

“Then can I borrow Sasa? She might understand what I’m doing better.”

“It’s up to her. She’s complaining about being in the heat so you might be out of luck.” He explained.

Sasa made a noise in her throat as he spoke. “I’m not sure what she thinks I can do. He’ll most likely be afraid of me.”

“He might be more afraid of her than you think. He is new and you’re bringing a large feline to him who happens to be a Spirit Tiger.” He pointed out to her.

“Exactly if he can make friends with her then he can be friends with me.” Pinkie pointed out.

“Solid reasoning, I guess.” Sasa admitted. “Okay I’ll go. You want to give her the sandbox so I can speak to this poor donkey she is fixated on?”

“Do you want the sandbox so she can speak if you want her to?”

“Oh yes. That will be good.” Pinkie said as his horn summoned the sandbox and she balanced it on her back.

“Are you sure you can carry it? I can send it to you.” Oblivion pointed out.

She looked out from under it and seemed to be considering his point. “Can you?”

“Yes. Sasa will tell me where to set it and I will set it down in place.”

He pulled the box off her back as Sasa moved away from him and fell in at the mares’ hip. “Be back in a while.” Sasa said to him as the mare walked for the town.

“Good luck.” He said to her.


Sasa sat down as the donkey didn’t seem to have noticed her yet. He seemed preoccupied with arguing with Pinkie about trinkets he was unpacking. She sighed as the donkey rolled his eyes and they landed on her. She simply looked at him and held her head up to try to show him the leather collar around her neck. A loud bray went out and she cringed as Cranky leaped for the wagon. She was startled as he came up with a broom and slowly advanced on her.

“Oh, no Cranky she is harmless.” Pinkie said as she reached him.

“You’re kidding? I’ve never seen a cat that big but I doubt it’s harmless.” He crabbed at her.

Pinkie walked up to her and wrapped her in a large hug. Sasa groaned under the force of the hug but she managed to run her tongue over the mare's cheek to show how tame she was.

“See? Harmless.” Pinkie said as she nearly lifted her off the ground.

Sasa yowled as her paws were leaving the ground. Pinkie took the hint and set her back down on the ground. Cranky simply stared at her as she released Sasa and then he looked over at Pinkie as he set the broom down.

“So she’s not gonna attack me?” He asked.

Sasa shook her head and the donkey stared at her. “I need the sandbox Chosen.”

Cranky brayed in surprise as a flash of azure flame went out, leaving a box of shallow sand in its wake. She reached out one paw and began to write to him. She looked up as he walked forward and looked down at what she was doing.

“Hello Cranky.” She wrote down.

He looked at her and then down to her message. “Hi.” He said to her.

“It’s nice to meet you.” She wrote.

“So why are you here bothering me?” He asked her.

“I was asked to come to meet you.”

“Why?”

She considered what to say as Pinkie bounced up to him. “She’s a friendly cat that is connected to a friend of mine. He was supposed to come to meet you as well but he was busy so Sasa came to say hello.”

“Another friend of yours was supposed to come?”

“Yeah. But he is not as friendly as some ponies so he didn’t want to. Said I should leave you alone.”

“I like him,” Cranky said to her.

“I think you would also.” She agreed. “But he was busy.”

Cranky scowled at her for a moment before he refocused on the feline in front of him. “So you’re this other ponies pet?”

“Not exactly.” Sasa wrote to him. “But close enough.”

“So what are you doing here?”

“Pinkie is hoping for you to be able to make friends with me.” Sasa admitted.

“Yeah. If you can make friends with her then you can be friends with everypony.” Pinkie said to him as she bounced in place.

Cranky scowled at both of them as he looked back at his still unpacked wagon. “I don’t have time for this.”

Sasa cringed and reached out to the sandbox. “I am sorry to be wasting your time.”

He read the message and Sasa saw his expression soften as he looked at her. “You're fine.” He said to her.

“I understand that you have things you wish to finish and we are delaying that.” She said to him and then once he finished with the message she wiped it clear to go on. “My Chosen said that we had no place to be telling you who to interact with. I agree with him.” She wiped it clean to speak further. “So I am thankful for you taking some time to speak with me.”

Cranky’s expression softened a bit further as she spoke the truth to him. Pinkie continued to bounce off to the side as Sasa spoke to him.

“Chosen?” He asked her.

“The pony she mentioned. That is what I call him. I chose to be close to him.” She said and wiped it clean. “I do think you and him would get along.”

“You do?”

“Yes.” She said.

“Why?”

“He values his solitude and understands the desire to be alone.” She explained. “I came in his place due to his belief that we should let you be.”

“Smart pony.” He said to her.

“He is.”

“I have been around the world searching and I just want to retire peacefully.” He explained to her.

“I understand.” She wrote to him. “He has traveled all his life as well.”

“See Cranky? There are lots of ponies you could meet and be friends with.” Pinkie said to him.

Sasa wished she could curse aloud at the mare for interrupting as she had been slowly working on him by being respectful and gentle. His expression handed a bit as he looked down at the now cleared message in the sand.

“You’re not so bad.” He said to her as he relaxed a bit.

“Thank you for your kindness.” Sasa wrote to him.

“See!?” Pinkie cried, startling them both.

She bounced back and her hip hit the wagon, knocking several items askew. A look of dread on Cranky’s face told Sasa she needed to head things off and try to keep things moving carefully. She was already in the donkey's good graces by being gentle and kind to him, now she was in danger of the exuberant pink mare ruining it. Sasa reached out and gently nuzzled his shoulder and began to write.

“Is there any way I can help you unpack? I will be extremely careful with your items and treat them as if they were my own.” She asked him in as gentle a tone as she felt she was able through her writing.

The donkey looked at her for a moment before he seemed to accept her request and motioned slightly for her to follow him. She fell in behind him and he led her up to the wagon and he gave her a small box to hold in her teeth. She gripped the side of the box to keep her front fangs out of the way. Pinkie moved ahead of her as she asked about an ornament that was now dangling from her hair.

“Set that over there, cat.” He said as he pointed to a corner for Sasa. “Or what was it?”

“Sasa.” Pinkie supplied as the ornament dangled from her forelock.

“Right. Sasa.” He said to her as she very carefully set the box down and moved toward the door with him. “Yes, it’s pretty now put it down.” He said to the pink mare as she set it down.

He went outside with Sasa and gave her another small box to allow her to carry it. Sasa looked over her shoulder as she made for the house and she could hear Pinkie shouting as she asked about a new item. Sasa walked into the house as Pinkie stepped through the floor and the ornament clanked around the room and cut through a hanging lantern. The light crashed down and fell on an open book on the table. Sasa nearly opened her mouth in horror as the book burst into flame.

She looked back as Cranky bumped her tail from behind. “What did you say-ayayayayay! What have you done?!”

Sasa quickly dodged as he ran into her and she managed to get out of his way before he ran her down. She set the box down as Pinkie dumped a vase of water over the book. Sasa watched as Cranky laid down by the book and she could see just enough of his spirit to see sorrow and horror lancing through him. She dared not approach him as Pinkie spoke to him.

“See? All better?” She said to him.

“No, not all better, all soggy!” He shouted.

“I’m sorry Cranky.” Pinkie said o him, her voice sincere.

“Oh, you're sorry! Well, then, everything is fine!” He growled.

Sasa cringed as the donkey grew more enraged as time passed. Pinkie sat up a bit as he spoke. “It’s okay?”

No! It isn't! Listen to me, kid, I will never be your friend!” He said as he herded both of them to the door.

Sasa jumped through the door as Pinkie turned to look at the donkey. His eyes fell on the mare and then on the cat with her. Sasa bowed her head respectfully to him and then looked at him. She hoped he could see her sincerity in her eyes, as without the sandbox she was mute.

“Never, or never-ever?” Pinkie asked him.

“Never, ever, ever, ever, ever!” He yelled and slammed the door as they both stared at the now-closed door.

Sasa turned her head to look at the mare, her expression just as angry as the donkeys had been. Pinkie looked at the enraged cat as Sasa got to her paws and smacked the mare in the back with one paw. She stalked over to the sandbox and yowled for the mare to join her.

“Why did you do that?” She asked the mare.

“It was an accident.” Pinkie lamented.

“I know. But why were you insisting on snooping through his things?”

“I was trying to learn more about a new friend.”

“He doesn’t want friends.” Sasa wrote. “It took me so long to get him to relax.”

“He was being nice to you?”

“Yes!” Sasa wrote for her. “He was even being nice back.”

“He’ll never be my friend now will he?”

“I don’t think so no,” Sasa admitted. “He is rightfully angry with you.”

“What if I fix the book?” Pinkie said to her.

“I don’t think you can.” Sasa replied. “It was nothing but… But he might be able to.”

“He?” Pinkie asked and her head gave a comical tilt as she then looked up as understanding went over her face. “Oh, you mean Oblivion?”

“Yes. He might be able to fix the book.” Sasa informed her. “But that does not mean you should try to be his friend any more than you already have.”

“But if it’s fixed then…”

“No.” Sasa wrote. “He has said no. You need to respect that.”

Pinkie slumped in her fur and looked sadly at the tiger in front of her. “Okay, so you’ll get Oblivion?”

“Yes. Leave the book to me.”

“Okay, I have an idea as well.” Pinkie said to her.

“Please don’t push him any further.” Sasa pleaded as Pinkie left her behind.

Sasa sighed and looked down at the sandbox that sat with her. She reached out to Oblivion and called on him to join her.


“So why am I here?” He asked her. “You were not very explicit in your request.”

“There was an accident with a book and I am hoping you can fix it.” She informed him as he joined her by the sandbox.

“An accident meaning Pinkie did something foolish.”

Sasa said nothing for a moment before she leaned against him and shared her memory with him.

“I see,” Oblivion said to her as she pushed the sandbox with her nose. “Where do you want that moved?”

“Under the front window so he does not need to come out to talk to me if he does not wish to.” Sasa explained as the box was levitated off the ground.

She watched as Oblivion moved the box and set it where she had asked. He went up to the front door and rapped his hoof gently on the wooden door. Sasa could hear movement inside and the window curtains were pushed aside as the donkey looked out to see the feline and the sandbox in front of him. His expression soured as he glared at her. He opened the window just enough to speak.

“What do you want cat?” He growled.

“I brought help.” She wrote to him.

“What help?”

“I brought my Chosen to see if he could fix your book.” She explained.

Cranky looked at her as finished reading the note from her. “Nopony can fix it. It’s ruined. All my memories of her are gone.” He lamented.

“Can he try to repair it?” She pleaded. “If he can’t, I will do everything I can to keep Pinkie far away from you.”

“You can do that?”

“I can try.” She wrote to him as he left the window.

Cranky came back to the window as Oblivion came to stand next to the tiger. “Quite the big pony.” He said as he pushed the ruined book through the gap in the window.

Oblivions magic reached out and Cranky brayed in alarm at the azure flame. “It’s harmless unless I wish it not to be.” He assured him.

“You’re sure about that?”

“I give you my word.” He replied as he opened the book and saw the damage. “I am not sure what I can do, but I will try to repair it.”

“Not sure what you think you can do. It’s ruined.” He whimpered.

Sasa watched as Oblivion said nothing for a moment before he looked at the donkey. “I have a request.”

“Which is?”

“May I touch my magic to you to find the memories that were held within it? I assume you knew this book back to front?”

Cranky looked dubious for a moment before he held his hoof out the window. “You better not hurt me.”

Oblivion said nothing as his magic coursed over the donkey for a moment before he looked back at the book and his magic began to grow in strength as he began to regenerate it from memory. Sasa said a silent prayer to every God she could immediately think of for it to be successful. The magic grew more powerful and a flash of azure flame went out and arced a foot in the air. Cranky brayed and reeled back from the window for a moment. Oblivion closed the book and slid it back through the window to allow the donkey to look at it.

“It safe?” He questioned.

“I assure you it is,” Oblivion replied.

Sasa looked at the donkey as he slowly opened the book and his eyes went wide at it. “It’s… Perfect. Like it never happened.”

Sasa breathed out a sigh of relief and looked at the donkey as his eyes were bright and he seemed to have regained some of the comfort and belief in her that had been lost by the loss of the book. Oblivion gave a slight bow of his head as he looked down at her. She nuzzled his shoulder and purred loudly.

“You did right by me,” Cranky said to them. “You didn’t have to. You could have just walked away.”

“That would not have been right.” Sasa wrote to him. “It would not have been fair to you.”

“Maybe you’re not so bad… Sasa.” Cranky said to her and she brightened at hearing her name from him. “And you. I don’t know who you are.”

“Oblivion Shadow.”

“Thank you,” Cranky said as he opened the window. “So she called you for help?”

“She did.” He replied.

“How? She was in front of my house the whole time.” Cranky asked.

“She has the ability to reach out to me through a mental connection,” Oblivion explained. “Because of that, I am also able to find her no matter where she is. That is how I knew where you were located.”

Sasa purred as they spoke. She looked back as the sound of hooves got her attention. Pinkie came up over the hill to Cranky’s house and Sasa yowled in a warning.

“No!” She shouted through their connection and she saw Oblivion physically flinch as she ran for the mare.


Oblivion looked back as Pinkie came up over the hill but he paused at the sight of another spirit with her. He said nothing as Pinkie approached the door as Sasa growled at her.

“Easy Sasa. She is not alone.” He said to her and she went quiet as he spoke.

“What?”

“Somepony is with her.” He said back to her as Cranky caught sight of the mare.

“Oh no.” He growled and slammed the window shut. “Go away!”

“But Cranky I really want to talk to you.” Pinkie said to him. “I came to say I’m sorry.”

“Fine, you said it now go away.” He shouted.

“There has to be some way I can make it up to you,” Pinkie called back.

“You can’t. You ruined it all.” He shouted. “The only reason I am even talking to you is that he fixed my book. Sasa helped me fix it.”

Pinkie looked at the pair of them as if seeing them there for the first time. “You were able to fix it?”

“I did.” He said to her.

“Luckily.” Sasa wrote down.

Pinkie deflated a bit at Sasa’s biting comment but she seemed to let it slide off her after a moment. “But I have something for you to try to make up for it.”

“I don’t want anything from you. Knowing you it’s likely to explode in my face.” Cranky argued.

“Goodness you really are Cranky.” The other pony said.

Oblivion looked at her the older donkey and he could see that she was amused by the shouting between the two of them. He looked back to the house as the window was thrown open and Cranky stared out it. His eyes widened at the sight of the other donkey.

“It can’t be. Matilda? Is it really you?” He asked.

“It can. And it is.” She replied.

He came out of the house and stared at her as she approached him. “How did you know I was here?”

“Pinkie came to me and told me about a donkey that had the same scrapbook I did that had the same things in it.” She explained.

“I recognized them from Matilda’s scrapbook and I knew that it had to be important.” Pinkie explained further.

“I always hoped that you would find me here one day,” Matilda said to him.

“I was searching for you as I went from town to town and I finally gave up my search and retired here,” Cranky said to them.

“Does this mean you accept my apology?” Pinkie asked him, nervousness in her voice.

“Yes, Pinkie. I accept your apology and I am honored to call you my friend.” Cranky replied.

Pinkie bounced happily into the air and Oblivion gripped her before she could get started. “We will leave you to get to know each other again. I’m sure there is a great deal you want to talk about.”

“Yes. We have lots to talk about.” Matilda said as she nuzzled the other donkey.

Cranky smiled wide as he nuzzled her in return. “Thank you again Oblivion. You as well Sasa. You were the kindest cat I have ever met.”

“Your welcome. It was my pleasure to meet you.” Sasa said back to him and Oblivion spoke for her.

Sasa turned to leave as Oblivion picked up the sandbox and it vanished with a flash of his magic as he carried Pinkie above them. She struggled in his magic for a moment before he simply glared at her and she went still.

Author's Note:

I finished this one a bit earlier. Figured it was Sasa's turn for an outing. Let me know if there is anything wrong with it and I will try to have it fixed. Thank you for reading and bear with me while I try to get more of it done as I go. I am hoping to get to the end by the end of summer. Lol. Thanks for reading!

PreviousChapters Next