• Published 7th Oct 2017
  • 538 Views, 0 Comments

A Frozen Escapade - IAmBugHorse



A remedy starts the journey of a lifetime for our protagonist.

  • ...
 0
 538

Chapter One - A Frozen Recovery

I, including my ‘friends’, were heading towards the old castle of the two royal sisters, where we would find the Elements of Harmony, defeat Nightmare Moon, and hopefully save all of Equestria from eternal night.

“Come on now y'all, she needs to concentrate,” Applejack said, as everypony else walked out of the castle. I was left to focus my magic on the Elements, when something threw me off my concentration.

“Ahh,” I shouted in fear, as the Elements were being held by a blue foggy haze that was flying around the Elements.

“Twilight,” I heard my ‘friends’ outside scream.

The blue haze began to lift up the Elements, as it was about to teleport away.

“The Elements,” I said, as I jumped into the funnel that the blue haze was creating. With that, we both teleported away. After teleporting, I was at the end of a very large room. On the other side was none other than Nightmare herself, in her grasp, were the Elements. I felt dread and uneasiness inside me, but I didn't want to show it, I knew I needed to stay calm, or at least look calm.

Nightmare’s maniacal laugh sounded through the castle, lightning crashed, as the room seemed to get slightly colder and darker. A cool fog appeared out of the blue, making my skin crawl, as I felt a chill run up my spine.

I prepared myself to charge at her in full gallop, striking my hoof into the ground and blowing hot air out of my nose.

“Your kidding… your kidding, right” Nightmare said, almost tauntingly.

I began to glow my horn, preparing a spell, as I charged straight for her, my horn could be heard humming as it began to surge with magical energy. Nightmare also started to gallop towards me, at full charge no less, as we began getting closer, my horn began lighting up brighter as I teleported before we collided. I reappeared next to the Elements. I almost let out a sigh of relief before I realized that I still had to activate the Elements.

“Just a spark,” I said, glowing my horn. I tried with more power, but nothing was happening, I was failing.

“Come on, come on.”

I finally got something on the Elements, though before I could get anything else, I was flung back as I was shocked by the Elements. When I looked at the Elements I saw that they were charging.

“No, no,” Nightmare screamed.

I smiled as I looked on to see what was going to happen… only to find that the Elements had stopped charging.

“*gasp,* but where's the sixth Element,” I asked, as Nightmare’s maniacal laugh sounded through the room. Before I knew it, Nightmare shattered the Elements into tiny shards, leaving only dust and small shards of gems. I sat there, aghast, at what had happened.

“You little foul, thinking you could defeat me,” Nightmare shouted, “now you will never see your princess or your sun! The night will last forever!”

She laughed more and more. I heard voices from behind me begin speaking, the realization couldn't hit me any harder as I felt a spark ignite inside me.

“You think you can destroy the Elements of Harmony, just like that?! Well your wrong, because the spirits of the Elements of Harmony are right here,” I shouted, as my friends were right by my side.

“What,” she shouted, unsure of what to make of the situation.

“Applejack, who reassured me when I was in doubt, represents the spirit of Honesty,” some of the shards of gems began to float around Applejack, as they formed a neckless…

“Fluttershy, who tamed the manticore with her compassion, represents the spirit of Kindness,” the same thing happened with Fluttershy…

“Pinkie Pie, who banished fear by giggling in the face of danger, represents the spirit of Laughter,” as well as Pinkie…

“Rarity, who calmed a sorrowful serpent with a meaningful gift, represents the spirit of Generosity,” and Rarity…

“And Rainbow Dash, who could not abandon her friends for her own heart's desire, represents the spirit of Loyalty,” and Rainbow, “The spirits of these five ponies got us through every challenge you threw at us.”

“You still don't have the sixth Element! The Spark didn't work,” Nightmare shouted, she was beginning to look uneasy.

“But it did work. A different kind of spark,” I said, my confidence was returning at last, I looked back at my friends, “I felt it the very moment I realized how happy I was to hear you, to see you, how much I cared about you.”

“The spark ignited inside me when I realized that you all are my friends,” I was beaming with joy as I finally found the answer.

“You see, Nightmare Moon, when those Elements are ignited by the… the spark that resides in the heart of us all, it creates the sixth Element. The Element of Magic,” I shouted, as the last Element appeared, and floated down towards me, creating a tiara instead of a necklace, me and my friends began floating up, as we began to glow with magical power. With that we fired a beam straight at Nightmare Moon.

“No, NOOOOO,” Nightmare screamed, as the beam overtook her entirely. We passed out as the deed was done, and Nightmare Moon was defeated, saving Equestria from eternal darkness.


Meanwhile…

In the depths of the castle ruins… a dense fog flows out of a room… the feeling could send chills up even a monster’s spine… one hundred-twenty lay frozen over in wait for help… but none know of their locations… the fog flows around the castle waiting to find anything… in due time it found something.

“Ugh… my head.”

“Everypony okay…?”

It had found other ponies that were there, they look like they've just been through Tartarus and back, but they were just fine, in fact they looked like they were congratulating. Eventually another bigger pony showed up, and there was a smaller dark blue pony near this other one. They could help… they can help… they… will… help…


I felt a chill run up my spine, as the room seemingly got colder, it was enough to make the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. Nopony else seemed to have noticed, as we saw the princesses talking to each other. We were already leaving the castle, heading back to Ponyville, I didn't want to go back to Canterlot, so the princess let me stay in Ponyville. I had to find something on what happened at the castle. After going to the library, I stayed up and read up on the castle and the ‘chill’.

“Hmm, there's nothing on something that might've led to that chill… I guess I'm just going to have to find out for myself,” I said, getting up from my chair, only for me to fall down and fall asleep.


‘Help them… save them… one hundred-twenty lay frozen in wait… they need you… go… and help…’



I was somewhere, I couldn't tell where I was, all I could see was white void, the symbol of a open, creative and knowledgeable mind. I had heard a voice say something, but there was nopony else there.

“He-hello?”

My voice rang through the void of nothing, as a rumble shouted around me. Out of the ground came out statues on pedestals, all of them colored, and pony shaped, every single one of them was different, whether it be color, shape, gender, style, and clothing, they were all in there own way, different from one another.

The statues looked frozen in place, a shocked expression on each of their faces, you could see the fear in most of their eyes, they were in columns of ten, and rows of twelve… one hundred-twenty…

I remembered what the voice said, ‘one hundred-twenty lay frozen in wait.’

“So these are the ponies that voice was talking about… but what did it mean by ‘frozen,’ yes, I see that these ponies are frozen here like statues, but are they frozen in stone or ice?! Ugh, this just makes it worse!”

I sat down on my haunches, as I began to stress out, how was I going to save one hundred-twenty ponies when I don't even know where to start. I began crying, I couldn't do anything at the moment, I was failing.

“No need to fret.”

“No need to cry.”

I felt a comforting hoof lay on my shoulder, I felt warmth around my body, I was being hugged.

“Huh…?”

I looked up and saw two ponies, one was hugging me, the other had their hoof on my shoulder. I saw that two of the pedestals that had ponies on them, were empty, those ponies were right here, calming me down. I sat there and marveled in the feeling.

“No need to worry…”

“We're here to help.”

I felt two more give me comfort, as more and more ponies came to help me out of my stress.

“You can do it, we know you can…”

“You are all we have left.”

“We need you more than ever…”

“Till the very end of our days…”

“Till death do us part, we will be together as a team, as friends, as a family…”

I felt the warmth of one hundred-nineteen ponies, though there was still one more.

“You are our only hope, so will you help us,” the last on to speak was a stallion, he was forest green almost everywhere, the only thing that was not green was almost all of his mane and tail, which were mostly black. He struck an almost familiarity to me, where have I seen him before...

“Yes… yes I will!”

They all looked at me and smiled, they stood up and all said, “Thank you…” before fading away into nothing, except one, the green stallion, was still there, “for everything,” is all that he said, before walking off, and fading away.

‘You will find us when you know your heart’s ready… go now… we will be waiting, Twilight…’

I heard the voice once more… only it was a different voice…

‘Go… find them…’

Then the other voice said something once more.

“But where do I start?!”

‘You should know by now what that ‘chill’ was…’

I remembered the chill, so they're at the castle… time to go find out myself…

‘However they aren't so easy to find as you may think…’

I wasn't really reassured with that statement, but none the less I still had to save some ponies

“Now how do I-”


“*Gasp,*” I gasped, as I was abruptly awoken, I was heavily breathing and sweating, I looked like a mess…

“How many more times am I going to get interrupted before I finish my sentences…”

“Ugh… what time is it,” I looked outside to see its sunrise, I had slept through an entire day.

“Right, I need to help Applejack later tomorrow with her apples, but first, I need to-” I was cut off by me falling off my bed and smacking my face into the ground, after that I lazily walked down the stairs, before I also fell down them, hitting my head once more.

“Why is it so difficult to wake up in the morning…” I asked nopony in particular, as spike had a cup of tea ready in his hands. I smiled and grabbed the tea in my magic.

“Thanks Spike, what would I do without you.”

“Probably not make any friends, have all of Equestria fall into darkness, and possibly fall down constantly thanks to you leaving books everywhere.” I giggled at the last one.

“And that's why your my number one assistant,” I said, sipping on my tea, and eating a sandwich, that Spike left for me on the counter.

I prepared to head out to the castle before anypony found out what I was doing, I just had to head over there and then I'll be done.

“Alright Spike, I'm heading out, take care of the library for me, alright,” I asked him, grabbing an extra book just incase I needed it. A simple spell book for combat purposes.

“Sure Twilight, be safe,” I nodded, and headed out for the Everfree. The way there was more than calm, nopony was usually out at this time, which was a relief seeing as I wanted to not be seen by anypony, though I did get some nice hi’s, hello’s, and waves, but minus that, I was in the clear.

“Alright, lets get this over with,” I looked into the forest, this was not gong to be easy, I gulped audibly, as I stepped into the forest, looming darkness passing over me.

The trek there was uneventful, nothing dangerous, nothing wanting to eat me. As fast as it was, I had made it to the castle of the two sisters, where I would find the ponies. The air around the castle felt colder as I approached it, the feeling of dread looming over me, I couldn't feel any more uncertain about coming here, but those ponies needed my help, and I was going to help them, and nothing will be stopping me from helping these ponies. The cold air felt like I was far north, and even the ground was frozen with ice and frost, walls were covered in ice layers, and old vines frozen with icicles hanging from them.

(Unbeknownst to the mare, the words ‘The Frozen Castle Ruins,’ were above her head.)

“It seems this is a game of hot or cold, only this time, the colder I am, the closer I'll be,” I felt a stream of wind catch my back, it sent shivers down my spine.

“Let's just hope I won't freeze to death, those ponies need my help,” I took a step into the castle. The entire place looked like a blizzard had passed through it, pillars that had fallen to the ground were covered in snow and ice spikes, windows, or what's left of them, had been replaced with sheets of ice, the ground however was the least affected, it had snow and frost all over it, but no ice, so maneuvering in there wasn't a problem.

“It seems like this ways where the ponies are,” I felt a colder wind coming from deeper inside the castle, most likely the dungeons. I had also brought a thermometer with me, the air was getting to below zero.

I walked down the staircase, every step feeling colder than the last, it even got darker, to the point where I needed a light spell. As I came to the bottom, it lead into a large hallway, not as large as Canterlot Castle, but close enough, though the air was beginning to thin, and my breath began visibly showing, I knew I was close. The Thermometer showed 34 degrees Fahrenheit below zero.

“Alright, lets go-” I was cut off by a maniacal laughter.

“Who's there, show yourself,” I shouted, my voice echoing in the large hall, that seemingly got wider. Nopony responded, the only thing to come out was a large rumble.

“*ROAR,*” a loud roar shouted around me, as it shook the ground, with icicles raining from above me.

“Ahhh,” I shouted, as I almost dodged the falling ice. The book in my hold was thrown out of the way, and landed somewhere I couldn't see. The air felt like it was liquefying at this point, or at least it looked like it, the air even felt like it was freezing.


“Hey Applejack, you seen Twilight anywhere, I checked her library but she wasn't there,” I asked, I was just finishing up my awesome flying stunts when I wanted to go bug Twilight, yet she wasn't there at her library.

“No, actually haven't seen her since the whole Nightmare Moon incident, I wonder where she could be,” Applejack wondered, I felt a chill run trough my body, the air also felt colder.

“Hey is it just me or is it getting colder,” I asked, the air did feel colder, ice cold, maybe it had to do with Twilight.

“Yeah, now that you mention it, it does feel colder, and I think Twilight's the reason behind it, lets go see where she's gone off to,” she said, heading off to Ponyville.

“Right,” I flew off, almost losing balance thanks to the icy cold air.


I was looking up at what made the roar, a large ice serpent, its eyes a light blue, shining like gems, it's entire body was almost like ice, crystalline clear, and the worst part, it breathed frost air that glowed a bright blue. Even starring at it made my mind freeze up at just the sight. The ice serpent, went to attack me, first swinging its tail around trying to slam me into the wall. I dodged, however, it got a lucky hit whenever it smashed me upward.

“Agh,” I groaned as I slammed into the ceiling, causing me to leave a Twilight shaped hole.

“There's got to be a better way of doing this,” my voice was muffled thanks to the ceiling. I fell to the floor and landed on my hooves, struggling to get up.

‘Aid is on its way, but in the mean time, we’ll help.’

As soon as I heard that, I felt a new power surge through me body.

“Alright, let’s do this,” I said, letting what ever happened take it course. The serpent went to attach me again, I dodged and parried it, hitting my hoof into its back, causing it to crack.

“*ROAR*”

The serpent looked angry, very angry, even its eyes showed anger.

“Twilight?!” I heard some ponies scream, it was my friends. How did they find out that I was here?


“Hey has anypony seen Twilight,” I shouted, I was flying around, looking for anypony who knew where Twilight was.

“You looking for Twilight,” somepony asked.

“Yeah, you know where she went,” I asked.

“Yep, she looked like she was heading into the Everfree,” they said.

“Thanks, now to go find-”

“*ROAR*” a loud roar shouted from the Everfree Forest, it shook the ground, and knocked some branches off the trees. The air only got colder, as frost began to build up.

“Rainbow! You find out where Twilight went,” Applejack asked, as our other friends, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie were here as well.

“Yeah, she's in the Everfree Forest, and if you heard that roar, then you know that it came from the Everfree, Twilight needs our help,” I said, as they all nodded, we headed off towards the direction of the castle of the two sister the cold air getting colder every inch closer we got to the castle.

“Look there it is,” I shouted, the castle was completely covered in ice, snow and frost.

“Come on, we got to hurry,” Applejack said, as we all headed inside.

“*ROAR*” another roar shouted around us, but it was much louder and closer. It seemed to have been coming from deeper inside the castle. We ran down the flight of stairs, going deeper into the darkness and coldness, our breath began to be visibly shown. My body couldn't be any colder, but knowing Twilight needed our help, it helped me out of the coldness. We saw Twilight fight an ice serpent, it seemed angry by the fact it had been hit in the obvious spot on its back.

“Twilight?!” We shouted, as Twilight dodged an attach and parried it, only to be hit by its head. She got knocked back towards us, she grunted as she tried to get up.


“Okay, new plan, whoever you are that's helping me, can you help them as well,” I said, dodging the tail attack it tried to pull on me.

‘Sure… friends of yours… are friends of ours.’

My friends eyes widened as the power affected them as well, ‘hurry though... this won't last too long... and he's still there... parry!’

I stepped out of the way, grabbed its head that it used to try and hit me with and smashed my hoof into its head, causing it to crack, an ‘Hp’ bar appeared above its head, health points maybe?

“Heya… take that you icy good for nothing serpent,” I shouted as I shoved another punch into its head, as I was right, the ‘Hp’ bar did stand for health points. I ducked as somepony flew over me and slammed into its neck sending it spiraling to the floor. Rainbow just body slammed into it, leaving a very big mark on its neck.

“*ROAR,*” it roared causing icicles to fall, everypony scattered, running in different directions trying not get skewered by the falling ice.

“Take this you ruffian,” Rarity shouted as she tried to stab the thing with her horn, with magical assistance of course, and she managed to break through, leaving a huge hole in its neck.

Pinkie just jumped into its face distracting it from us, she actually managed to get the thing into a knot, thus cracking it even further, until it broke into two pieces, only for it to become two separate serpents with its health split in half.

“Dash, you, Pinkie, and Rarity take care of that one, Applejack, and Fluttershy, your with me,” everypony nodded.

I parried an attack made by its tail, striking my hoof into it with a magical charge, I felt my magic power deplete. Our ice serpent was getting destroyed, as Applejack wrangled it in a rope, bringing it to the ground while Fluttershy landed on top of it, forcing it to the ground, the ground cracked.

“*ROAR,* *ROAR,*” both of the serpents roared aloud, causing more ice to fall, this time it was constantly falling, so we had to continue moving in order to stay alive.

“Keep moving, the ice is going to continue to fall,” I shouted. It took some tries but I managed to use the ice as simple use for hitting the ice serpent. Suddenly, I found a perfect time to parry both of them.

“Hey ugly, follow me,” I shouted, having it follow me, I ran towards the other ice serpent. Before either serpent got close, I jumped, parried both of their attack with having them crashing into each other, and charging a powerful final attack, a blink went off in my head, and I forced as much force into my final strike. I charged down hitting both serpents in the head.
Both serpents crashed into the ground, digging my hoof into their heads, and smashing them to pieces. Both of their Hp bars emptied, as they both crumbled to shards of ice. The area got less colder, as I found my saddle bag and saw that it was now only five degrees Fahrenheit above zero. No longer the very cold below zero temperatures. I collapsed onto the floor, the others were probably doing the same thing. I fell into a deep sleep, as I was exhausted after that fight.

Something popped into my head before I fell too deep into sleep.

Level Up!!


“I think she's waking up, everypony stand back.”

I heard somepony speak, I tried to open my eyes, which felt like lead.

“Ugh… what happened,” I asked, only to remember the events of the battle we just had.

“Twilight darling, are you alright, after we saw you collapse, we were worried we lost you, but you were just fine, minus the fact you looked tired,” Rarity said, helping me up, I looked around and noticed that the ice was still around but the only problem was that where I was, there was no ice, plus I didn't feel cold anymore

“How did this-” I was cut off by something saying something in my head.

‘You feel you heart warm up the area.’

“Hey, what's that over there,” Pinkie shouted, pointing a hoof towards a door at the end of the hallway. I lit my horn, only managing to get it lit a bit however, it only lit for few seconds before fusing and turning off. Rarity lit her’s once mine went out, I felt like I was out of energy.

“Twilight, you need to rest, let me take over the light for you,” Rarity said, walking next to me, I could walk, just my stamina wasn’t the best.

The door at the end of the hallway, was frozen over, I noticed that the floor unfreezes and the air around me becomes warm, even if it's not a big radius, it still unfreezes it. So I step forward and the ice on the door unfreezes, though it seems that the floor freezes over once I step out of the area that was unfrozen. Once it was completely unfrozen, I opened it, it wasn't too hard and didn't need too much magic. As I opened the door, I felt cold air blow through it at very high speeds, though afterwards it was warm once again.

“Phew… now to find them… now where are they,” I said out loud, everypony behind me looked confused. I looked around, the walls of ice looked like glass, the the ground and ceiling filled with icicles and spikes, at the end of the room, grouped together, were ten out of the one hundred-twenty ponies.

“Uh, Twilight, what in the hay are you talking about, there ain't gonna be anypony in here, it's too-” I cut Applejack off by showing them what I had found. They gasped once they saw that there were ponies trapped in ice.

“Is this what you came here for, why didn't you tell us, we could've helped,” Rainbow asked, I merely sighed.

“I never wanted to get you girls into this mess, I had to, this voice told me I had to do this, if not, one hundred-twenty pony lives would be wasted, as you can see, we found ten of them,” I said, I went over to the ponies, once I got close they began to melt, slowly their bodies escaping the ice prison that held them captive. One by one we all carried all ten of them, back to Ponyville, where we took them to the hospital to get them checked out.

“So now you mind telling us what happened,” Applejack asked.

“Well…” I began explaining what happened from when we were in the castle, to the dream, to the fight. They took sometime to take it all in before anypony asked questions.

“So then why were there only ten ponies inside the room,” Pinkie asked,

“I'm not sure, but none the less, we saved these ponies, this one however…” I said pointing my hoof at a green stallion who was sleeping, his cloak covered most of his body, not really letting us see anything under it, “feels very familiar.”

They all looked familiar, somehow… but I feel like I've seen them all before.

“Anyway, I've got to head back to the farm, you still up for tomorrow Twi,” Applejack asked, I nodded, she turned and left, leaving the room with the ten ponies we had saved. The others had things to do as well so they left as well, leaving me to watch the ponies. I began to fall asleep, I felt tired after that fight, and a nap would do me wonders. I yawned as I laid my head down on the floor.

“Today was eventful… good night I guess… whoever you ponies are…” I yawned once more, before I closed my eyes and fell asleep.


I had my mane covering my eyes to make it look like I was asleep, I in fact was wide awake, this was a problem once, but I've come to live with it, I thought I had woken up from a coma, and it was all just a dream, but no… I was frozen and as I've heard, one hundred-ten of us are left.

“She seems to be asleep, better not wake her up so suddenly,” I said, looking over the mare who saved me, hmm better do something so she doesn’t feel uncomfortable when she wakes up.

You may be wondering who I am, well the name’s Mint, Mint Cloud, pleasure meeting you.

Author's Note:

-Twilight Sparkle- Pony Type: Unicorn- -Stats: Level Two- -TXp Points: 1035/2000- -Attack: 10- -Defense: 17- -Magic: 28-
-Special Items: Element of Magic-

”Ahh, One hundred-Twenty you say...? That is a lot of ponies...”


What a way to start an alternate universe, am I right!?

Now I know what your thinking... didn’t I use Mint in another story of mine, let’s just say that story is not cannon, and will never be cannon, that story was something I had plans for, sure I had plans, but now that’s in the past, right now, we have this and that... I know my story is probably still there, but I would rather not talk about that one, this is the new, that was the old. Let’s just say it wasn’t one of my best stories, and thanks to me reading a lot more slightly ‘professional’ stories, I’ve gotten better at writing, so this story might be able to test my skills a tad bit, but I’m still learning, and will continue to improve as days go on.

Either way, have fun and enjoy the story.