• Published 12th Oct 2017
  • 607 Views, 36 Comments

Ahamkara - Dragonfire2lm



Destiny Crossover. A Hunter arrives in Equestria but in reality, she is more than just a hunter. She is in fact an Ahamkara, a Wish Dragon. This is her adventure in Equestria.

  • ...
1
 36
 607

Chapter 4

She flopped down onto it and gazed up at the stars. Her mask of kindness and strength slipped away as worries and fears danced in her head. Those fears stayed with her long after she fell asleep.

She was running. Scaly paws kicked up dirt as she ran, a gun fired and she winced as the bullet punched another hole through her tattered wings. Her white scales marred with wounds borne of multiple weapons and broken ribs screamed in agony as she forced her tired and battered form to keep moving.

A Titan's Sunbreaker Hammer flew through the air and shattered her right foreleg. The blow sent her crashing to the ground. She tumbled to a stop and bleary-eyed, looked up as footsteps approached.

The sound of a pistol reloading forced her mind to focus on the hunter before her and her heart broke at the sight.

Cayde stood before her broken form, his signature pistol primed and aimed at her head, ready to fire.

She squeezed her eyes shut as she waited for him to pull the trigger.

“BEGONE!” A voice boomed from seemingly everywhere, causing the ground beneath Dracona to shake.

Dracona felt more stable, more lucid. The haze of the dream vanished from her mind. The Ahamkara paused and willing to take the risk, opened her eyes just to find out what was going on. Cayde was gone. In his place stood a midnight blue pony mare, with both a horn and a pair of wings. The mare’s mane was like a shifting mass of the night sky itself.

She was giving Dracona a curious look. “We have never seen, nor felt a dream such as thine.” She spoke elegantly, like a noble for some bygone age. “Pray tell, who art thou, dragon?”


Dracona blinked and she pulled herself to her feet and sat down. Her jaws moved and clicked as she tried to speak but quickly she remembered what form she was in.

"I am Dracona, one of the last remaining Ahamkara," she telepathically replied as her mandibles twitched. "I wasn't aware this was a dream, though that would explain things."

“We are Princess Luna, guarding the dreams of sleepers is our charge.” Luna nodded. “And yes, this is a dream.”

"A princess?," Dracona wondered. "Twilight mentioned something about writing to one, was that you perchance?"

Luna shook her head. “No. T’was a letter to mine sister.”

"Ah, I take it you both have some form of power in this land yes?" Dracona asked as she slipped into the familiar role of the negotiator, a role normally used with selfish or cruel intentions by most Ahamkara.

Dracona was not most Ahamkara. She would see to it that any kindness granted would be returned tenfold.

“Indeed Dracona.” Luna nodded. “Our sister rules the Day and raises and lowers the Sun. We rule the Night and raise and lower the Moon.”

The statement of raising the sun and moon was so absurd that it broke Dracona's demeanor.

"You what? Ok wait, no forget that. Look I could use your help," Dracona said and with a bit of focus, shifted into her exo form. "This is the form I sealed myself into and well... This is a bit of long story, do you have time?"

“Time moves differently in dreams. We have time.” Luna said with a small smile.

And so the dragon talked. She spoke of how her kind were hunted and reason why, she spoke of The Last City and the effort to rebuild, she spoke of her duty as a Guardian and her fear of being discovered and above all she spoke of her greatest worries.

The land Luna and her sister ruled was abundant with the things people back in the City needed and she went to share with the princess her desire to start the journey to peaceful coexistence between the City and the beings of this world. She talked about the foes she faced and the worry that she would draw them to this peaceful world, she worried the negiations would fail and above she worried about what kind of future was left for her and those scant under her care.

Lastly she told the princess that she was afraid of tearing the City asunder if the truth of her true nature got out and confessed that she didn't know what she should do.

Luna spent some time in silence. “Perhaps...” She mused.” Perhaps, now is not the best time to reveal thine true nature. Everypony is still recovering and the wounds are fresh from battle. With emotions already tensed, we think that yelling your companions now would end poorly.”

"Yeah, you're right," Dracona admitted. "But that still leaves the negotiations with, well with you and your sister. We need food, water, building supplies and well..."

She hesitated even with an idea on her mind. "I was wondering, even with all of this going on, that I might be given a plot of land? Pardon my language but shit will hit the fan sooner or later and I owe it to those under my care to ensure they have somewhere to call home at the end of it all."

Luna smiled. “We will speak with our sister. We are sure that we can get you a plot of land to work with. We expect our sister will send Twilight Sparkle a letter in the morning.”

"Glad to hear it Princess," Dracona replied. "Oh yeah, where exactly do you two live anyway? I figured I'd just book an appointment and do this whole diplomacy thing properly, well as properly as I can manage anyway."

“We live in Canterlot Castle, within the city of Canterlot.” Luna replied wit ha smile. “Surely you have see it? The castle upon the mountain?”

"Oh that thing? Got it, I'll start heading there in the morning...I have more of a solid plan now, thank you Princess Luna." Dracona said sincerely.

“You are quite welcome fair Dracona.” Luna gave a small bow. “We wish the a restful and peaceful sleep.”

"I might just have a good nights sleep for once," Dracona replied and bowed in return. "I won't keep you, may your duties for the remainder of the night go well."

“Fare thee well.” Luna’s horn lit up with bright blue light and everything faded to black.


Dracona awoke to her Ghost sitting on her chest.

"I might have made things worse..." Asriel admitted.

"What?" the hunter grunted and sat up, her Ghost floated up and hovered at eye level.

"You were talking with Cidae last night right?" Asriel asked.

Dracona blinked sleepily and bluntly asked one question.

"The Vanguard know don't they?"

"I was only trying to help!" Asriel explained.

"....."

"Dracona?" Asriel asked worriedly.

Dracona looked at her Ghost and sighed. "We have a job to do, I'll see to the Vanguard later, is Cidae up yet?"

“Wha?.. Wha’s goin on?” The changeling sleepily asked, as her head popped out of the front of the tent.

"My Ghost did a stupid, in the meantime, I have the next stop of our journey sorted out." Dracona replied.

"Really? Where are we going?" Asriel asked.

"To the giant castle on the mountain overlooking Ponyville, that's where we'll find the rulers," Dracona explained and yawned. "But first things first, what are we gonna do about breakfast?"

“Oh... okay.” Cidae yawned. then suddenly seemed to freeze mid-yawn. She closed her mouth and looked at Dracona, a look over confusion clear on her face. “Wait, we’re going where now?”

"Canterlot Castle." Dracona replied while Asriel stored the tent and blanket in her inventory.

She didn't bat an eye when he was able to do so without disturbing Cidae but the exo was used to the way her Ghost often did things.

"Why don't you both go as yourselves?" Asriel suggested. "It would make a truthful first impression, right?"

".....I have no words to describe how frustrated I am right now." Dracona stated.

"So, that's a no?" Asriel asked.

"Sure it'd be faster, in my original form I could just fly us there and the Vanguard know I'm an Ahamkara anyway," Dracona said and looked over at Cidae. "What you want to do? Fly or walk to Canterlot?"

“Uuummmmm. Flying might attract way more attention than we would want.... So let’s walk.” Cidae said, s she looked lost in thought.

"Alrighty then, just remember only turn into a pony that doesn't exist and you'll be fine," Dracona advised. "Just imagine what you would look like as a pony or something, that's what I'd do."

"And what would you look like as a pony?" Asriel curiously asked his Guardian.

"An albino, that's what I look like as an Ahamkara so I assume pony me would be the same," she replied. "Let's head into Ponyville and see if we can snag some food for the trip, I'm hungry."

“Hmmmmmm.” Cidae furrowed her brow in thought. “Let’s go. I need to think about this.”

As the group walked, Dracona began to think and plan.

"Asriel, if anyone tries to contact us, open a secure channel. I'll need to do damage control." she instructed.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Her Ghost asked.

"I have an offer the Vanguard won't be able to refuse and once this mess with the ponies is sorted I'll make sure you and Cidae are looked after and put my plan into action." she explained.

"As long as you know what you're doing." Asriel replied.

"This is me we're talking about, we both know I'm winging it." Dracona stated.

“Uhhh... Asriel, should I be worried?” Cidae asked the ghost.

"About you or me? No," the Ghost replied. "Knowing Dracona, if something does happen it'll be up to us to protect her."

"As if I'm going to let you two put yourselves in danger for my sake," Dracona replied. "I'll be fine, really!"

"I swear, if your plan is lock us up somewhere so you can sacrifice yourself, I'm-I'm, well I'm going to be very angry!" Asriel stated hotly.

"I discarded that plan, you'd try to kill yourself just to stay with me." Dracona said calmly.

"Then what is your plan?" Her Ghost asked.

"I'll offer the Vanguard a deal, for the continued safety of myself and all those under my care," Dracona began and grinned. "I'll bring back The Speaker."

"But The Speaker? The leader of The Lasy City is gone! He's-" Asriel spluttered.

"I have the power to bring him back," Dracona firmly stated. "But we need to work with the pony rulers first, this way we'll get back into the vanguard's good books and work from there."

"So... Cidae, have you decided on a disguise yet?" Dracona asked.

“Yus” The changeling chirped. In a burst of of green flame, Cidae was suddenly a crimson unicorn with a grey mane and pink eyes. On her flank was the image of three blue stars. “I’m Eventide Haze.”

"Nice!" The exo commented. "Onwards to Ponyville, hopefully I can get some free food off of the locals, I mean I can always go without but if we're walking to Canterlot I need to eat something."

"We should be able to get something at the very least," Asriel added. "These ponies are surprisingly friendly."

“Hey... I don’t want to sound offensive, but why do you need food when you’re ...... synthetic?” Cidae asked weakly.

"Exo can still eat and drink, you saw me at the party," Dracona explained. "Most exo need and drink for the same reason organic creatures do, just not as often. As For the most part my need for food is one part psychological, as I'm used to getting hungry and thirsty and one part medical as all my exo form does is lessen the pain of my original form's ailments, not heal them completely."

"It's like this," she continued. "Any wounds I sustain in one form are dulled when I don the other. The injuries haven't gone away, I've just adjusted the metaphorical wrappings so it's only a constant annoyance instead of paralyzing agony."

"I wish you'd take your injuries more seriously." Asriel said.

"I don't really have the time." Dracona replied and she got the impression her Ghost was pouting at her complete disregard for her own well-being.

“Huh. I guess I was a little distracted at the party.” Cidae shrugged.

"Eh, stuff happens." Dracona replied with a shrug as the village came into view.

"Now, where to begin?" she wondered.

“Maybe Sugarcube Corner for breakfast?” Cidae asked thoughtfully.

"I'm broke." Dracona replied flatly.

"Maybe Twilight can help, she was nice." Asriel suggested.

"I guess, I was going to head to a marketplace I saw yesterday and try to haggle," Dracona replied. "... Eh, let's go bug the science pony."

"So tree library?" Asriel asked.

"Tree library," Dracona replied. "If Twilight asks for more info, feel free to tell her I'm a Wish Dragon."

"Really? You don't care anymore do you?" Asriel asked flatly.

"My days are numbered O angel mine, I have to stop giving a shit just to survive." Dracona said.

"Right, your Aura..." Her Ghost replied sadly and his Guardian nodded.

“To the library and the science pone.” Cidae nodded.

When they arrived, Dracona knocked on the door and given how early in the morning it was the exo wanted to be sure Twilight was actually awake before barging in.

“Hold on.” Spike’s voice called from beyond the door. There was a brief scrabbling of claws on wood, then the door opened. Spike stared up at the three. “Oh, hey. You do know this is a library right? You could have just walked in.”

“This is a Library?” Cidae asked. “I’ve never seen anybody check out books.”

“Give it a few minutes.” Spike replied and rolled his eyes. “Come on in. You want breakfast? I’m making Twilight some now.”

"We'd love to join you for breakfast, it sucks that glimmer isn't a currency that's accepted around here. I wouldn't have to mooch off of you if I wasn't flat broke." Dracona sheepishly admitted.

"I'll be scanning the shelves if you need me, I want to get a grasp of the written language, might come in handy for later." Asriel stated and flew into the library with his Guardian following suit.

“What’s glimmer?” Spike asked as he moved out of the way to let the three in.

Dracona pulled out a few of the small, glittering blue cubes and showed them off.

"Glimmer is a material that is used in a wide variety of things in the Last City and because of its versatility and usefulness it's the most common kind of currency we have," Dracona explained and gave Spike a small handful of the cubes worth 500 glimmer. "Here, why don't keep this lot? Might be useful if you ever go to there."

“That looks delicious.” Spike began to drool as he stared at the substance.

"Don't eat it, it's money not food," Dracona said and flopped down onto a cushion. "Plus it's alien money, might make you sick or something."

“Okay.” Spike sighs. “I’ll be in the kitchen.”

“Dragons eat gems.” Cidae commented as she browsed the shelves of books.

"Wish Dragons eat anything," Dracona replied. "Most dragon like creatures are omnivorous or classed as extreme omnivores like me. I could eat dirt and get nutritional value from it, though I'd have to turn off my taste sensors first."

"Says the Hunter that ate a Cabal." Asriel said cheekily.

"Dude, I've taken a bite out of Fallen, Hive and Cabal. Cabal at least taste nicer than the other two and no way in hell am I ever gonna eat a vex, that's just asking for trouble."

"Hm, true." her Ghost replied as his hard light rays scanned the books on a nearby shelf.

“Ummm.... I’ve never eaten anypony.” Spike called out from the kitchen.

“I haven’t eaten anybody either.” Cidae said looking thoughtful. “I feel like I’m missing out.”

"To be fair, I was desperate, losing my home and nearly dying meant I had to take what I could get for a few days until I found civilization again," Dracona stated. "I mean, I am technically a Wish Dragon's soul fused to an empy exo, acting as a Guardian to save the last remnants of humanity from hostile forces so I just turned a bunch of dead enemies into lunch, I needed the energy."

"It was either that or eating dirt. I hate eating dirt." She added.

“Oh, that explains it.” Cidae mused.

"Yup," the exo replied and looked thoughtful. "You eat love right? I wonder if you're able to feed off of me?"

“I would assume so.” Cidae nodded. “You do feel.”

"You have a point there, I'm just trying to cover my bases, not much point to taking you in if I can't provide for you and all that." Dracona stated.

“Hugs work fine. The only love I’ve ever actually felt was stolen. Not by me. It was from another collector. I actually don’t know what true love feels like.” Cidae mused. “I had to be the one changeling in the him with morals.”

"I'll figure something out, we'll get by," Dracona said. "Hey Asriel, how goes the translation?"

"All done, I'm compiling any kind of information we could use into your spare hardrive, as well as some books you might like." the Ghost replied from a top shelf.

"Organized?" Dracona asked.

"Of course."

"Good," his Guardian replied happily. "I wonder what's for breakfast?"

“Breakfast!” Spike called as he brought out plates pilled high with scrambled eggs and pancakes.

“Oh that looks so good!” Cidae moaned, drooling a bit.

"I'm so stoked right now," Dracona agreed. "That food looks so good."

“Oh yes!” Cidae gallops over to the table right as Spike begins setting the plates of food on the table.

“Morning.” A sleepy Twilight announces as she sleepily plods down the stairs from the loft.

“Morning Twilight. Coffee is in the kitchen.” Spike smiles at her as she passes Dracona, not even noticing the exo.

Dracona took a seat at the table, unfazed by Twilight's morning attitude.

"Dracona? I found something you might want to hear," Asriel stated from his spot amung the bookshelves. "Does the title 'Dragons of the Three Stars' mean anything to you?"

"Yeah, listed under fiction?" she asked.

"Yes, this book details ancient legends of dragons that granted knowledge, power or aid to any that proved themselves worthy." Her Ghost confirmed.

"Yep, sounds like them alright," Dracona replied. "They're Ahamkara who were cast out of the main realm due to being diseased, sick in the head like me. They formed a new kingdom which became a dumping ground for any exiled or sick Wish Dragons the rest of the populace didn't want to deal with," Dracona explained. "The Realm of the Three Stars it's called, ruled by three dragons. I grew up there after my birth parents abandoned me."

"So these are Ahamkara, then why are they referenced all the way out here?" Asriel asked.

"They probably foresaw our arrival and left things behind as a clue to help us out, either that or Dad got really bored." his guardian replied.

"Dad?"

"Tempus, King of the First Star took me in back then," the exo replied to her Ghost's curiosity. "The Three Kings find worlds to influence or observe all the time, they find a place and send their subjects to help out the locals."

The exo looked back at the pile of pancakes.

"Theorize later, food now."

“Ah, that’s what I needed.” Twilight announced with a sigh as she trotted out of the kitchen and sat down at the table next to Cidae. She looked over at the disguised changeling chowing down on some eggs.

“Who are you?” The purple mare asked in confusion. Cidae’s response was to look at her. Then the “unicorn’s” orn and eyes flashed green.

Twilight recoiled. “Cha-” Before she could even finish her sentence Cidae showed a forkful of pancake into the mare’s mouth then went back to eating.

"Hi Twilight." Dracona said around a mouthful of pancakes, her plate piled high.

“Hmmph?!” Twilight tried to say through her mouth full of pancake and her wide-eyed gaze snapped towards Dracona.

“Twilight, remember to chew your food.” Spike said as he returned to the table with his own plate of eggs sprinkled with small gems.

"Say Spike, do you guys have food that'll last a while? We're headed to Canterlot and if you wouldn't mind we could use some food for the trip." Dracona asked.

Asriel muttered something about ponies not making sense as he scanned an educational tome about weather magic. "We're dealing with aliens Asriel." His Guardian reminded him and he just grumbled quietly.

“Says the floating robot talking to a large robot in a room with a talking fire breathing lizard at talking magic horse and a shapeshifting bug pony.” Cidae commented dryly after swallowing.

Spike snorted, trying to hold back his laughter. “Y-yeah. I think so. Looking for anything in particular?”

Twilight just sat there, chewing her food, her eyes locked on the changeling.

"Whatever Cidae will like should be fine-" Dracona began before her Ghost interrupted.

"Anything that won't spoil easily and some chocolate if you have some, Dracona has quite the sweet tooth. As well as whatever Cidae would like."

"...Asriel it's not like we can pay for any of it." Dracona sighed.

"We both know you'd go without to keep Cidae happy and healthy, you did the exact same thing before the Collapse." Asriel chided.

"That's why I have you this time around?" Dracona replied with a smile.

"Precisely." Her Ghost stated.

“If you want we can give you some bits so you can get something at Sugarcube Corner.” Spike grinned, Then his face fell and his brow furrowed. “Come to think of it, why didn’t you go there? The Cakes and Pinkie would probably given you wherever you needed.”

“All I actually need is someone friendly nearby.” Cidae shrugged.

“Don’t you mean somepony?” Twilight spoke up.

“That is literally racist.” Cidae said glancing over at the unicorn. “I am not a pony, Neither is anyone else in this room.”

"Ok, I think we need to address something," Dracona stated calmly and faced Twilight. "Twilight, the fuck is your problem? I'm kinda getting sick of this distrust and blatant discrimination."

“Well... She’s a changeling. They steal love! They ruined my brother’s wedding!” Twilight blurted out, gesturing wildly at Cidae.

“A queen had the gall to impersonate a Princess and have her hive attack Canterlot.” Cidae said bitterly.

“Changelings are evil!” Twilight continued as if unhearing.

“CHRYSALIS DAMNED OUR ENTIRE RACE!” Cidae roared back, her disguise disappearing in a burst of emerald flame. Twilight’s words died in her throat at the changelings words. “We already have a hard enough time getting by! That- That bitch just made it infinitely harder! We could generally be ignored, but now, because of her, we are actively being hunted!”

“H-hunted?” Twilight squeaked out, paling.

“Yes. Hunted.” Cidae seemed to wilt. “Chrysalis’s attack on Canterlot made us out to be the monsters that everyone thought we were. Because of that, we were now considered a threat by many races of the world. Griffons and Minotaurs don’t have governments based around Harmony...”

There was a cough and a belch and in a puff of smoke, a scroll landed on the table in front of Spike. Only seconds later there was a knock at the door.

“I’ll... uhhh... I’ll go get that....” Spike said awkwardly.

Dracona was silent, mind whirring, ideas forming and a single notion made clear.

It was the Collapse all over again, the Great Hunt all over again.

"Not again, I won't stand idle this time." she muttered.

Through the link with his Guardian, Asriel could see the checklist as it formed within her mind and steeled her resolve.

1. Create peace between The Last City and Equestria.
2. Save the Changeling race.
3. Discuss peaceful coexistence between herself and the vanguard.

There was a glint in Dracona's optic and Asriel sighed in resignation and flew over to her.

"The more lives we save, the better things get right?" he asked.

"Yup." Dracona replied calmly.

“Ummm...” Twilight?... We have company.” Spike said from the doorway.

“Hello my little ponies. Is everything alright?”

Author's Note:

The length of this chapter is purely due to the cliffhanger ending, you can thank Sanguine Dream for that!

We wondered whether or not to simply end the story here but, due to the fun we're having writing it and the unresolved plot points there will be more to come.

As always please point out any typo's I may have missed.

Comments ( 10 )

I still say Cayde is going to find the fact that his favorite Hunter is a dragon cool.

8498978
You'll find out next chapter.

Any updates on the next chapter's progress?

8557642
While we have some stuff written up, I'm waiting until we get a bit more done before bringing out a new chapter.

Basically I want to have a backlog so I can edit multiple chapters in one go.

Sorry if I sound repetitive, but has there been any progress with the story? This is an interesting world you two have made, and I'd hate to see it fade into nothingness.

8762295
We've hit a bit of writer's block and other things have taken up our time.

It'll be finished eventually.

Found this during the server move in fimfetch because I was looking through your stories and was genuinely surprised at the story. There aren't any stories that really cover ahamkara at all let alone have a main character be one, which made me disappointed when I couldn't find anything else around any fanfiction sites with ahamkara in them, I hope after your done with welcome to dystopia that you do eventually come back to this story to at least give a ending even if it's only around 5-7k more words.

10282812
Thank you, I do want to finish my stories but with my health being what it is, I'm saving up for a laptop just so I'll be able to write. I'll bet back to this one day.

I really like this story the Ahamkara are my favorite part of destiny. I would really like this story to continue.

10963756
I'm not even sure if this will be continued, we're busy and have moved on to other projects.

Login or register to comment