• Published 3rd Oct 2017
  • 6,338 Views, 64 Comments

You Call That A Costume? - Eddy13



The Humane 7's Halloween celebration takes an interesting turn when Equestrian magic gives their costumes realism.

  • ...
9
 64
 6,338

Too Realistic

Red, yellow, and orange leaves blew through the crisp autumn air. The sun was setting, only a few scant traces of light remaining. And the entire town was decorated with pumpkins, paper ghosts, fake spiders, and rubber bats.

The perfect conditions for a Halloween night.

As Sunset Shimmer stepped out of her house, she looked on fondly at the sights around her. She greatly enjoyed this holiday since she first arrived on this world, just as she enjoyed its counterpart back in Equestria when she was growing up.

Walking down the sidewalk, she took in all the costumes everyone was wearing. She herself was wearing a starry magician's robe. On her head was a pointed hat which sported half a dozen crescent moons. On her face, bound by a thread, was a long, flowing fake beard. In her hand, was a long wooden staff that she herself had crafted in wood-shop. She doubt anyone would get the reference to her costume, but that didn't matter to her.

As Sunset continued her trek down the street, she looked around to see if she could spot any familiar faces. Of course, all the costumes looked so impressive that it was hard to tell some people apart. She thought she spotted Lyra and Bon Bon, dressed as secret agents. She noticed Derpy, wearing a construction worker's outfit, walking beside Flash who was dressed as a punk rocker. She also caught sight of the CMC standing on each other's shoulder's in a hobo trenchcoat.

Still, no matter where she looked, there was no sign of six certain faces.

"Man, where are they?" she said "It can't be that hard to find them".

"I don't know" came a voice beside Sunset "I don't see them anywhere!"

"Aah!" Sunset cried in surprise before turning towards the girl beside her "Pinkie! We should really consider getting a bell for you".

"Oh, that's thoughtful, Sunset, but not necessary" the party girl replied "I always carry half a dozen in my pocket in case of bell-related emergencies. I don't need any more".

Sunset regarding the comment with a look of disbelief before shaking her head with a sigh "Oh, nevermind, Pinkie. You were saying you don't see any sign of them?"

"Nope" Pinkie Pie shook her head "Course it would help if I knew who I was looking for".

It took everything Sunset had not to say anything she would regret as she pinched her nose in frustration.

"The others, Pinkie" she said in exasperation "I'm looking for our friends".

"Oh" Pinkie said understandingly before immediately scanning over the area like a tracker, a hand over her eyes "Nope. I don't see the girls anywhere. We'll just have to keep looking".

"Figures" Sunset replied before finally looking Pinkie Pie over.

The pink girl was wearing a formal grey suit of an Englishman. Around her neck, held by a single clasp, was a long traveler's cloak. Completing the outfit was a top hat on her head which covered her poofy hair, while a long walking cane was in her hand.

"Tell me you're not Jack the Ripper" Sunset said uneasily.

Pinkie Pie giggled "No, of course not, Silly!"

Sunset sighed in relief...

"I'm Mr. Hyde!"

...before facepalming so hard that her beard threatened to fall off. "Of course, you are".

Pinkie looked over Sunset's costume "So, who are you, Sunset?"

Sunset grinned. "Oh, I'm Starswirled the Bearded. The greatest unicorn wizard in Equestria".

"Oh, he was the guy who created the mirror portal that allowed you to come here!" Pinkie said.

"Exac-" Sunset stopped as her eyes widened "Wait. Princess Twilight and I never told you girls that. How did you...?"

"Oh, look!" Pinkie Pie pointed, cutting off Sunset's question "It's Rainbow Dash!"

The mystery of Pinkie's knowledge vanishing from her mind, Sunset turned to find herself face to face with a rainbow haired girl in a full-body wolf suit, complete with wolf paws, a wolf muzzle over her face, and fake wolf ears.

"Aroo!" Rainbow Dash howled "Hey, girls! Applejack and I are ready to have an awesome night!"

Sunset and Pinkie looked to each other in confusion before turning back to their guitarist friend.

"Uh, Rainbow," Sunset said slowly "Either you've taken too many soccer balls to the head, or you've lost track of someone".

Turning to her side, Rainbow Dash saw that, sure enough, she was by herself. Looking around, the rainbow-haired girl spotted a nearby tree. Narrowing her eyes, she stomped up to it.

"Applejack, come out from behind there!" she ordered.

"No way!" Applejack's voice stubbornly said from behind the tree "Ah feel downrigh' ridiculous!"

Rolling her eyes in annoyance, Rainbow reached a paw-arm behind the tree and yanked the cowgirl out from behind it.

Oh, at least Pinkie and Sunset thought it was a cowgirl.

Applejack was wearing a long, flowing, strapless blue evening gown with matching slippers and elbow-length white gloves. Around her neck was an emerald necklace with her ears wearing matching emerald earrings. As a final touch, her hair had been done up in a fancy style and her prized Stetson had to be left behind.

"If Ah hear yah snicker one time..." the gussied up farmer threatened her prismatic friend.

"You won't" Rainbow Dash replied while suppressing a smirk.

"Wow, Applejack" Sunset said in amazement as she looked over the cleaned up cowgirl "You actually look...beautiful".

"Ah know Ah'm purty" Applejack said, her checks red with embarrassment and frustration "but Ah don't need tah look fru fru to show it. This is absolutely uncomfortable!"

"Join the club, Darling" came a flat voice from the side.

Turning, the group saw a familiar fashionista dressed in overalls, with a straw hat on her head and a polka dot scarf around her neck.

"I can't believe I'm being forced to wear this!" Rarity moaned "This outfit is most definitely not my taste!"

"I don't know" Rainbow Dash said with a grin "That could be a good look for you".

"Err, this is all your fault!" Rarity screeched at her formally dressed friend.

"Wha are yah blamin' me fer?!" Applejack said defensively "This is no picnic fer me either!"

"You're the one who got me in this mess!" Rarity countered.

"Hey, don' ferget" Applejack cried before jabbing a thumb at a certain pink partythrower "She's the one who's forcin' us tah do this!"

"Sorry, girls" Pinkie Pie said with a shrug "Your challenge ended in a tie, and since you appointed me as a neutral third-party overseer and enforcer, I had to make a fair ruling".

"How were we supposed tah know that a sudden cloudburst would stop tha soccer game when tha score was even?" Applejack groaned.

"I knew I shouldn't have made such a foolish wager" Rarity moaned "It's not like me at all".

"Hey, in case you forgot, you both made a Pinkie Promise to follow through with this no matter what" Pinkie replied before her eyes narrowed "Or would rather face those consequences?"

Sunset resisted the urge to flinch. Somehow, Pinkie talking seriously while wearing the costume she had on made her seem downright terrifying.

"Oh, fine" Applejack conceded "But Ah'm never doin' this again".

"Agreed" Rarity seconded.

"And I'm never going to let the two of you live this down" Rainbow said with a grin.

"Can it, Rainbow" the unhappy duo said simultaneously.

"Alright, come on" Sunset took control of the situation "We still have two more of our group to find".

Walking down the street, the group spoke idle chat as they searched for their remaining friends.

"So, Sunset" Rarity said "Ponies actually have something like this back on Equestria?"

"Yeah," Sunset nodded "It's pretty much the same as Halloween. We call it Nightmare Night".

"Oh, I get it!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed "'Nightmare' like something scary, 'Mare' like a pony, and 'Night' cause it's nighttime!"

"Yeah" Sunset said with a grin "Something like that".

"Did Princess Twilight ever tell you what our counterparts do?" Rainbow asked.

"Well, we swapped a few messages earlier today" Sunset answered "From what I gathered, Applejack's counterpart sets up a maze in her cornfield, Rarity's makes costumes, Pinkie passes out candy, Rainbow likes to scare ponies, and Princess Twilight oversees everything".

"Hmm, tha corn maze sounds like a neat idea" Applejack said in deep thought "Ah'll have tah arrange tah start doing tha next year".

"But what about Fluttershy's counterpart?" Rarity asked.

"Oh, she prefers to wait out Nightmare Night under her bed" Sunset replied "Princess Twilight told me how last year, they tried to get her to join in, and she actually succeeded in scaring them out of their wits".

"Nice" Rainbow Dash said in awe.

"You probably wouldn't say that if it was you getting terrified" Rarity commented.

"Yeah, and besides, afterwards, Pony Fluttershy decided that it still wasn't her cup of tea" Sunset finished.

"Spoooooooooky tea?" Pinkie Pie asked in wavering voice.

"No, just regular tea, Pinkie" Sunset replied with a playful eyeroll.

"Heh, her loss" Rainbow shrugged "I'm just glad that our Fluttershy is coming out tonight".

"Yeah, she's not very fond of Halloween herself" Applejack commented "It took us a bunch of proddin' just tah convince her tah come join us tonight".

"I wonder where she is, though" Sunset had to ask as she looked around.

"I'm here" came a soft voice that was fortunately loud enough for the group to hear.

Turning in its direction, the girls saw a certain pink-haired girl wearing a long black cape over a black dress, with a pair of fake fangs in her mouth.

"Ooh, Fluttershy's a vampire!" Pinkie squealed with faux fright "Watch out or she might suck you dry or turn you into her slave!"

"Oh, I couldn't do a thing like that!" Fluttershy cried before turning to her childhood friend "Oh, why did you convince me to wear this costume, Rainbow?"

"Oh, come on, Fluttershy" Rainbow Dash said enthusiastically "It makes perfect sense! You're a vampire, I'm a werewolf. The two of them are total opposites, just like us!"

"Well, I suppose when you put it that way" Fluttershy conceded.

"That a girl" Rainbow said proudly.

"Alright," Sunset called attention to herself "So now we just have one more friend to find".

"I'm coming!" came a voice from down the street. Sure enough, Twilight was running up to the group, almost out of breath. At her feet was Spike, who was doing his best to keep up with his mistress. What was different about Twilight, however, was that she had forgone her glasses for contacts this evening and was wearing a very familiar outfit.

"Hey, is she dressed as...?" Rainbow Dash started to ask.

"I think so" Fluttershy agreed with a nod.

Upon reaching the group, Twilight stopped and finally caught her breath.

"Boy" she said through gasps "It's hard to run in this costume".

"Ah have tah say, Ah'm impressed by your willingness tah wear tha, Twi" Applejack said "Ah would've thought dressin' as Midnight Sparkle would be tha last outfit you'd want tah wear".

"Well, it really wasn't Twilight's idea" Spike piped up "Rarity talked her into it".

All eyes turned to Rarity, who shrugged guiltily. "Even though it was demonic, I still thought it was a good outfit design" the fashionista admitted "Besides, I thought it might help build Twilight's confidence, knowing she can look like her alter-ego without becoming her".

"And I admitted that it was sound logic" Twilight added as she finally rose back to her feet.

"Alright, so now that we're all here, what do you girls want to do?" Rainbow Dash had to ask.

"Ooh, I know!" Pinkie cried "How about having a party at Sugarcube Corner?"

"Tha sounds good tah me" Applejack said.

"I agree" Rarity imputed.

"I'm always down for a party!" Rainbow cried.

"I'm okay with whatever you girls want to do" Fluttershy said softly.

"I'm fine with a party" Twilight said.

"Alright, then I guess it's unanimous" Sunset said "Next stop, Sugarcube Corner!"

"Wait" Twilight said, stopping everyone before they could walk off "Before we go, I want to point something out. Looking at them clearly, I don't think these costumes are really realistic".

"I beg your pardon?" Rarity said offended "I sewed all these costumes myself! Are you actually insulting my taste?!"

"No, no" Twilight said quickly "No offense to your style, Rarity. I just think that our costumes could look a bit more life-like".

"You know, Twilight has a point" Rainbow commented as she raised her arm "I'd feel really intimidating if this looked like actual fur".

"And how pray tell would we make 'em more real?" Applejack inquired. "Ah'm already uncomfortable wearin' this costume jewelry, Ah don't know if Ah can handle the genuine article!"

"Uh, actually, Applejack" Rarity said slowly "That is real jewelry you're wearing".

"What?!"

"I wanted to make you look like an actual debutante, and fake jewelry just wouldn't suffice" Rarity then offered a guilty smile "Consider it payback for dragging me into this wager".

"Well, to answer Applejack's question" Twilight brought the attention back to her "I've been doing some experiments with my magic, and I think I can cast a spell that can make our costumes look more realistic".

Sunset tensed a little. "I don't know, Twilight. I mean, sure, you've gotten a good grip on controlling your magic, but your spells aren't always reliable".

"Ooh, remember the time Twilight tried to cast an invisibility spell on us?" Pinkie Pie said with a grin.

"I don't know what was more humiliating" Rarity muttered "The charge for public nudity or the ride to the police station".

Twilight looked slighted. "Oh, come on, Girls!" she cried "I've gotten better since then. Trust me!"

"Well, Ah don't see wha we'd have to lose" Applejack said.

"Except perhaps our costumes" Rarity commented.

"Hey, if it'll make me look more wolf-like, I'm for it!" Rainbow cried.

"Well, if Rainbow wants to do it, I'm okay with it, I guess" Fluttershy added.

"Yeah, let's get this done so that we can get over to Sugarcube Corner and party!" Pinkie Pie yelled.

"Alright, guess the majority wins" Sunset said with a sigh "Alright, Twilight, let's do it".

Grinning from ear to ear, Twilight cracked her knuckles as she prepared to cast her spell.

"Uh, you do know what you're doing, right?" Spike said nervously.

"Spike, have a little faith, okay?" Twilight replied.

"I'm just saying I don't want to see another fire".

"Spike! Not every spell I cast causes a fire!" Twilight retorted "Now pipe down so I can concentrate".

Cautiously, the little dog backed up and took shelter behind a fire hydrant before putting on a miniature hard hat and doing a duck and cover.

"Alright, here we go!" Twilight said as she held up her hands, palms out, before closing her eyes in focus. Straining and sweating, eventually a purple orb of magical energy began to form in front of Twilight's palms.

"It's coming" the bookworm said gasping as the sphere glowed brighter "It's coming. I'm almost there. Just...about...finished".

The ball of magic continued to grow until it was the size of a basketball. However, it was then that Sunset noticed there were some sparks dancing over the orb.

"Uh, Twi?" she said nervously "You might want to shut it off!"

"No, really!" Twilight said desperately as she focused further "I can do it!"

"No, wait!" Sunset cried as she ran forward "You're gonna...!"

Suddenly, there was a tremendous 'Blam!' as the sphere burst into a wave of purple energy that swept over the group and sent them flying backwards before dissipating.

"...do that" Sunset finished with a groan.

Sighing, Spike came out of his hiding place. "I had a feeling something like that would happen".

"Sorry" Twilight said sheepishly to the group.

"Oi, you've got to learn to better control that, Twilight" Sunset sighed as the group got to their feet "Still, no harm done, I suppose. Is everyone alright?"

There was a chorus of 'Yes', 'Uh-huh', and 'Ah'll live' from the group.

"Alright, then" Sunset said "So let's just go to Sugarcube Corner and have our party with our costumes as they are and..."

"Oh!"

Everyone turned in shock to the sound of a painful moan as Fluttershy fell to the ground.

"Fluttershy!" Rainbow said with concern "What's wrong?!"

"I don't feel so good" Fluttershy said woozily while on all fours "I think I..."

"Fluttershy?" Twilight asked tentatively.

Suddenly, a flash of purple light appeared around Fluttershy, causing the group to jump back in shock. Then, to their shock and horror, Fluttershy's fake vampire fangs seemed to bond with her real teeth; her entire jaw becoming filled with razor sharp incisors. At the same time, her fingernails began to grow long and talon-like while her ears became long and pointy. To the disbelief of the group, her costume began to shrink around her body and spread, turning her skin pure black while her cape split in two, becoming wings.

When the purple glow faded away, Fluttershy finally stood back up. Only instead of looking into the face of their friend, the Rainbooms stared into the face of a giant, pink-haired vampire bat!

Jaws dropped as they looked on in shock, the Rainbooms stared at the large bat as it peered back at them with curiosity.

"Fl-Fluttershy?" Sunset asked nervously "Is that you? Please, say something".

In response to Sunset's words, the bat hissed and opened its mouth to reveal rows of razor-sharp fangs!

"AAAHH!" the Rainbooms screamed in fright, finally unable to hold in their terror anymore.

With a hissing squawk-like Scree!, the newly transformed Fluttershy flapped her wings and took to the air and flew away out of sight.

"D-Did you guys just see that?!" Sunset gasped.

"If you mean Fluttershy transforming into a giant bat, then yes!" Spike shouted.

"Rarity! Applejack" Twilight turned to her friends in a panic "Tell me that did not just..."

Twilight stopped herself as she watched the two friends she spoke to become enveloped in purple magic just like Fluttershy. Applejack's dress became much more defined while her expression became feminine, her freckles becoming more noticeable, while Rarity's overalls became more rugged and her eyes went from demure to tomboyish.

When the light faded away, the pair stood still for a moment like statues before they finally spoke.

"Oo-wee!" Rarity cried with a southern drawl "Ah never felt anythin' like tha in all may life!"

"Oh, I say" Applejack said in a posh accent "What on earth was that sensation I just experienced?"

"What in the?" Sunset asked in confusion "Are you two okay?"

"Why, of course" Applejack said "Why on earth wouldn't I be?"

"Ah don't know what yer talkin' about, but Ah feel just fine" Rarity said.

Staring off with a slack-jawed expression, Twilight whirled around "Rainbow! Now there's something wrong with Applejack and Rari..."

She stopped with a 'gasp' as she saw that Rainbow Dash was on all fours, surrounded by a purple aura like the others, vicious growls and snarls emanating from her throat. Her arms and legs became more muscular as the claws on her gloves and boots grew sharper and more life-like. The fur of her costume became shaggier as it bonded to her. Her wolf mask and fake ears fused to her head and grew over her face, transforming it into a muzzle.

Within moments, standing before the terrified group was a large, black, muscular, rainbow-haired werewolf.

"O-Oh, boy" Twilight gulped.

Standing in place with all four paws on the ground, its claws bared for all to see, the wolf creature stared at the group before it with a vicious look in her eyes as they shined an eerie yellow in the moonlight. From her muzzle came low, ferocious growls as saliva dripped from her fangs.

"Nobody make a sound" Sunset whispered nervously.

"Trust me, I don't intend to" Twilight said as she turned pale white.

"N-Nice, Rainbow" Spike was saying as he slowly backed away "Good, Rainbow. We're practically cousins".

With a snarl, Werewolf Dash turned towards Rarity and Applejack, eyeing them hungrily as she licked her lips.

"Rainbow, no!" Sunset cried.

It was too late. With a 'Aroo!', Rainbow Dash bounded towards the pair.

"Aah!" Rarity and Applejack cried in shock as they raced off with the werewolf hot on their heels.

"Rarity! Applejack! Rainbow!" Twilight cried "Come back!"

It was no use. The three were already out of sight.

"Oh, man" Sunset moaned "This is not good".

"Aaahh!" came a voice from the back as someone collapsed to the ground.

"And I think it's about to get a lot worse" Spike said nervously as he looked behind Sunset and Twilight.

Eyes widened in panic, the duo turned to see Pinkie on the ground on all fours with her back to them as the purple glow around her faded away. Her cloak seemed darker. Her hair had become flat and lifeless. Her fingers were now long and hairy, and she was making a creepy, cackle-like giggle.

"P-P-Pinkie?" Sunset asked nervously with a gulp.

The figure reached for her fallen walking cane as she stood back to her feet and slowly turned around.

"The name is..."

In a flash, she whirled around, showing huge insane green eyes and a large demonic grin full of jagged teeth.

"...PINKAMENA!"

Shrieking in terror, Twilight, Sunset, and Spike jumped out of the way as the transformed Pinkie swung her walking cane with such force that when she struck the fire hydrant Spike had hidden behind, it shattered to pieces, causing a geyser of water to shoot up.

Grinning wickedly, the pink maniac raised her cane over the heads of the trio in front of her.

"T-T-Teleport!" Twilight instinctively said as she threw out her hand. In a flash, she, Sunset, and Spike disappeared before Pinkamena could land her fearsome blow.

"Darn it" she muttered to herself with annoyance before shrugging. "No matter. There's lots more fun to be had. Let's see if there's anyone else to have it with". With that, she leaped upward with inhuman agility and landed on the roof of a house. Looking up to moonlit-filled sky, she grinned wickedly. "This is going to be a night to remember!" she cried into the night with fiendish delight before running across the roof.

With Pinkie Pie leaping to adjacent houses, Rarity and Applejack being chased by Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy flying through the air, it was indeed going to be a night to remember.

Author's Note:

Welcome all to my latest project. As you can see, it's an EQG fic set around Halloween. I'm hoping to have it finished within the month, but we'll just have to see. And I've got quite a setup, don't I? Can all this be straightened out? Keep reading and see! Hope you'll enjoy the latest fruits of my labors!

EDIT: In case some of you notice a little difference, well I made a little addition. See during the scene where Sunset mentioned Equestria Fluttershy's choice after the events of "Scare Master", I honestly didn't know that her choice of words were actually used in the episode, so I decided to turn it into a reference. Think it works?