• Published 1st Oct 2017
  • 351 Views, 5 Comments

Morning Meir Mysteries: Case 2: A Fright On Nightmare Night - XombieSlayr



Morning Meir is back on another case. This time journeying to the lively and historical city of Nawlans to investigate a mysterious series of murders surrounding Voodoo. And only a few days before Nightmare Night.

  • ...
 5
 351

Chapter 6: "A Meeting Of The Minds."

Chapter 6: "A Meeting Of The Minds."

"The mind is not the most precious thing. The most precious thing, is using it."

- The Goddess

Gold Digger's Private Suite (The Next Morning)

I awoke to the heavenly smell of fresh brewed coffee and donuts. It took all my energy to pull myself from the silk covers of the bed I slept in. That makes eight nights in a row. I wouldn't be lying if I said I was getting scared now.

And as I read my horoscope from today's paper it didn't make me feel any better about it: "Aquarius: An Evil Eye is upon you. Change course before its too late." I read aloud, not even trying to hide the fear in my voice.

But Gold Digger brushed it off. "Oh, now really! That's just those editors trying to give you a scare because of the holidays!" She argued. And she did have a point. Maybe I was just letting this case get to me. And the nightmares didn't help either.

"You're right, I guess I'm just....letting all this voodoo stuff get to me."

Gold Digger smiled at me as she pushed the plate full of fresh donuts my way. I helped myself to one and it did actually make me feel better. Pastries always did.

"You've got nothing to worry about, Meir. You've gone up against things like this before, and come out on top! You'll do it again!" Gold Digger beamed.

I smiled back at her. "Yeah. Thanks Gold Digger."

"And I'll help of course! Anything you need, I can get."

"I believe it." I chuckled.

I read through the rest of the paper. Most of it was just more news on the town being gripped with fear due to the murders. Another, much more noticeable article read: "Morning Meir, The Smartest Pony In The World, In Nawlans to solve The Voodoo Murders! Case already solved?"

"Ugh, great. Now I'll have even more ponies clamoring all over me." I said voicing my displeasure.

"I know how that feels." Gold Digger called from the table.

I chuckled to myself before I finally read the main article in the Cultural Events section: "Dr. Pensipony to conduct lecture on Zebrican Voodoo Culture at Nawlans State University. Hundreds already in attendance."

My eyes lit up instantly. This was it! My opportunity to finally get some one on one time with Pensipony. I'd actually be able to talk to her, find out what she knows. Why she just happened to be driving past the crime scene yesterday. I had to let Chief Karosta and Goldbloom know. They were probably worried about me.

Goldbloom's Foyer (7:35 am)

"No. We weren't worried." Goldbloom said from the other line of the receiver.

"You weren't? You didn't hear back from me all night!" I argued.

"You're the smartest pony in the world! You can handle yourself."

My cheeks reddened as they always did. I didn't know if I was happy or mad. Maybe both? I decided to let it slide for now. I had to tell Goldbloom what I knew now.

"Gold Digger's here!? Wow...I wish I had gotten to stay in a posh hotel last night. I slept on the couch in the police station." Goldbloom said solemnly.

"Goldbloom, can we please focus here?"

"Right, sorry. That Pensipony mare is a tough nut to crack. This lecture of hers is probably your best chance to actually get some real facts from her." Goldbloom elaborated.

"I know. Plus she'll be talking about Voodoo. The more I learn the better."

"Okay. Just be careful around her, Meir. I don't like the feeling she gives off. She's a bad one. I know it."

I assured her I would be fine. She wished me luck before hanging up. As I hung up the receiver, Gold Digger trotted into the room. "Any ideas what you'll actually say to Pensipony? She's known for really getting into ponies heads." she warned.

"Somehow, I don't think she'll be the one getting into heads this time around. She likes puzzles, right?"

"Right?"

"Well then...I'll use puzzles to get her to talk."

Gold Digger looked confused. "How?" she asked scratching her head. "No, wait! don't tell me. Just see what you can get out of her. It'll be something to see that pony get a taste of her own medicine."

My eyes widened. "I'm just talking to her, Goldy." I explained, a little alarmed.

But Gold Digger only smiled. "Yes. YOU will be talking to her. As I said: A taste of her own medicine."

Nawlans State University (12:00 pm, Noon)

The crowd in the amphitheater was huge. I was a simple little swirly maned teal dot in a sea of college students and various professors, each more esteemed then the last. I hoped that in all these ponies, no one would recognize me. I didn't need that kind of attention. Not here.

Suddenly the lights all dimmed as the chatter in the place came to a halt almost instantly. A projector screen came down from above, as a single light shone from the ceiling on Dr. Pensipony, looking just as proud and intelligent as ever. As the screen flashed to life, she began. Instantly, every ear and eye in the amphitheater was locked on her.

"Voodoo, or Voudoun is the tribal religion of Zebrica. But the name "Voodoun" is actually a banner heading, under which resides an entire body of distinct tribal belief systems."

The way she spoke. The elegance in her speech and the manner as to which her eyes glittered with insight. She really was smart. But in those eyes I saw something else: Arrogance. She thought that she was smarter then everypony else, in not just this room. But everywhere period. Arrogance like that shouldn't have been present in such an intelligent mare. But it was. And I didn't like it.

An image flashed on screen. An old fashioned photo of tribal zebras in Zebrica, happily talking with other ponies in a circle.

"The word Voudoun may sound familiar to you. What is known in Equestria as Voodoo is actually an amalgamation of Zebrican religious systems, Voudoun and Equestrian religious belief systems, primarily Celestialism."

"Celestialism? But....Celestialism isn't a religion. It's just the primary principle of acknowledgement of Princess Celestia as our benevolent overseer. A symbol of inspiration for ponies, not worship."

By the time I had realized I had said those words out loud, it was already too late.

Every single eye that was now staring holes through me, was nothing compared to the soul shattering gaze Dr. Pensipony was giving me. I thought my heart was going to stop. They were like two diamond tipped knives digging into me.

Sweat beaded on my forehead as I sat there, unable to speak, move or possibly even breathe. There was no sound in the room say for my fast-beating heart, and a few muffled whispers. I wanted somepony to say something. Anything.

To my horror, It was Dr. Pensipony who broke the silence. She looked...pleased. A smile on her face was melded with her soft half closed, judging eyes. "Ah...so the Famous Morning Meir, finally speaks." she said slyly.

The excited whispers suddenly exploded all around the room.

"Morning Meir? THE Morning Meir!?" one mare whispered.

"The Smartest Pony In The World?"

"She's here! Just like the paper said!"

"How does she make her mane so swirly?"

My face turned beet red as I struggled to think under pressure. I had to calm down and think this through. All this attention would mean I would lose my chance to talk with-

"That will be enough, thank you." Pensipony's intelligent voice sounded from the podium. And just like that, every voice went quiet. She had this room under her hoof the whole time.

Her smile never wavered as her gaze fell on me. "Dr. Morning Meir?"

I found my voice at last. Although it was more of a squeak, barely above that of a mouse. But she somehow heard me say "Y-Yes?"

"Perhaps you would like to join me for this lecture. I'm sure that a genius such as you has plenty to share on the history of voodoo." she said simply, her eyes flashing behind her glasses.

I knew what she was doing. This was a challenge: Which one of us was smarter. This whole thing had been a trap. She had purposefully said false information, because she knew that only I would catch it. The rest of these ponies would believe her if she had said Celestia was actually a dragon in disguise. She had them all in her grasp. All but me. And she knew it. She had called me out, and I had taken it.

I calmed my nerves. Regaining my composure, I simply stood up from my seat and said "Certainly." As I made my way to the podium, the excited whispers grew almost to fill the room. I ignored them as I kept my focus. This was a challenge. She was testing me to see if I was worth speaking to at all. This proved she knew something. And If I wanted to know it: I had to beat her at her own game. And I was NOT going to lose.

Amphitheater Podium (Morning Meir Vs Dr. Amalia Pensipony, 12:13 pm)

I should've been nervous. But all the anxiety had vanished once I knew what was going on here. There was no crowd of excited ponies watching me. No Amphitheater, and no lights bearing down on me. There was just me and Pensipony. Without warning, she continued her lecture as if nothing else had transpired.

"All of the sub-cults of Zebrican Voudoun have certain things in common." She turned to me, standing behind the podium across from hers. That smile returned. "Do you know these things I speak of, Dr. Meir?" she asked, with a bite of sarcasm, that flew over all other heads but my own. She was trying to get me already. I panicked only for a second....but wait.

I did know that. I had read through all of Miss Fortune's voodoo books. Was she testing me? "The pantheon of spirits known as the Loa."I answered without really needing to think at all.

She gave barely a nod. "Hmm. Very good. And of course-

"Of which there are several main Loa." I interrupted without thinking. "The Rada Loa, which are the original Loa spirits that came from Zebrica, and the Petro Loa, which are new, and considered by many to be evil, in countenance to the benevolent Rada loa."

The crowd looked impressed. Pensipony did not. "Yes, thank you, Dr.Meir. Now then, Voudoun is anything but easy to adapt to. In fact it takes years to-

"Actually, Voodoo is very easy to adapt to. The worship of spirits makes it easy to add more to those who wish to expand their own personal belief systems without issue. In fact, Princess Celestia and Luna are considered to represent the Loa of the Sun and Moon."

Again the crowd looked impressed. Some even clapped. Others nodded in agreement. Pensipony was glaring at me. but I didn't care. She was losing. And she knew it.

"Again, thank you....Dr. Meir. But I'm afraid you are wrong about the Rada Loa, you see, one such Loa, Damballah, is regarded in the Holtsman Encyclopedia of Zebrican Culture, to be a malevolent Loa, therefore-

"That copy is wrong." I said simply.

Pensipony blinked."Excuse me?"

"That volume of Holtsman Ecyclopedia was republished around 3 years ago to feature the correct information. Damballah was not only a benevolent loa, but one of the main Loa worshiped in almost all Voudoun sects. I'm afraid you need to update your information."

I wasn't trying to usurp her. Or sound arrogant. I was simply correcting her when she was wrong, and saying what I knew. But the crowd was now in full support of me. And Pensipony hated it. She adjusted her tie and was gripping the podium tightly by the corners. Nevertheless, she continued.

"Yes, well...I'm sure you know what Voodoo sects are called, Dr. Meir?"

"Hounfours. Of which the main figures are the Bokors, and the priestesses, Mamaloa."

Pensipony nodded begrudgingly. "And the Mamaloa are of course the most powerful figures in the voodoo Houn Four, as they are the direct line between-

"Nope. That's wrong."

I could practically hear the podium crack as Pensipony gripped it harder. "Pardon?" she asked through clenched teeth and a forced smile.

"The most powerful figures in the Hounfour are the Loa themselves of course. It is they that dictate the Mamaloa, and therefore the ones who control the destiny of the Hounfour itself. And you misspoke, earlier when you said Houn Four. The word is said as one word, not two." I corrected.

The crowd was completely on my side now. Everypony clapped and smiled in appreciation, while Pensipony was silently strangling her podium with her bare hooves. She had lost the battle between us. But of course she had one more trick up her sleeve.

She smiled once more, and I had already guessed what she was going to ask. "Well, Dr. Meir' she said with faked enthusiasm. "With a mind such as yours...surely you've figured out the culprit to these heinous Voodoo murders!" she announced.

The crowd was out of their seats now. "Yeah! Who did it, Ms. Meir?" One colt asked.

"Tell Us! We have to know!" a young mare called out.

"Is it really voodoo killing these ponies?" an elderly professor asked.

"Seriously...how do you get it so swirly? It's like a teal hurricane up there."

I looked out over the crowd. So this was her last trick, huh. To get me with information she KNEW I didn't have. To put me in a situation where I had to admit I didn't know something. And of course I didn't know. That had been the whole point of me coming here.

But this didn't prove anything. In fact it had proved that Pensipony, was just an egotistical know it all. Not a genius. And again, I had gotten her.

I looked over at her with the same disinterested look she always wore. "That's actually why I'm even here, Dr. Pensipony. Because YOU, are now a suspect in the case." I said simply.

"I'm What!?" Pensipony shouted, losing all trace of her usual mannerism in a second. Her eyes were now fully open and filled with shock and outrage. "Is this- Is this a joke?!"

I smiled at her. "You tell me. I thought this was YOU'RE game we were playing."

With that she had finally run out of tricks. She had no choice but to talk to me now, if for nothing else then to defend her reputation. She took a breather, then announced a recess so she and I could speak privately. As the amphitheater emptied, I had the sudden feeling that even though I had won Pensipony's little game...the real game had yet to begin.

Dr. Pensipony's Office (12:46 pm)

As we sat in her lavish office, I took note that Dr. Pensipony's entire manner had done a back-flip once more. She was once again, prim, proper and....arrogant. Something was definitely up with this mare. If she did have anything to do with the murders, I would need to be more then just smart about this. I would have to be aggressive. (Just, y'know....not TOO aggressive.)

Pensipony was sharp eyed, and even sharper tongued. When she condescended to look at me at all, it was with a dismissive glare. After a moment she finally decided to talk to me. "Well?"

I was confused. "Well??"

"Ms. Meir (What happened to doctor?) You have already interrupted my lecture, and made a mockery of my doctorate in front of my own students as well as several esteemed college professors. I hope you have something worthwhile to discuss here, otherwise, I will be returning to my students. And YOU will be returning to your case."

"This is part of my case, Doctor. I just wanted to ask you some questions. I promise It wont take up much of your time. It's all so we can find out whose behind these voodoo murders." I explained politely.

Pensipony sighed. "Fine. Let's get this over with."

Questioning (Dr. Amalia Pensipony, Esteemed and wealthy professor and voodoo expert, Was seen at the crime scene)

I started off simple. "I feel as if we have gotten off on the wrong hoof. Why don't you tell me more about yourself so-

"I'm 35 years old, a fully tenured professor at this university as well as a chairwoman at Cambridge. My doctorate was obtained in Syracuse- yes, Syracuse- in Religious Studies. I'm a skeptic, but I believe Equestrian belief systems to be fascinating. I specialize in Zebrican religions because I grew up there- My father was an Equestrian Missionary."

"I also enjoy little else besides my work and teaching my students. Although I also play tennis on weekends. When I'm not here, I am at my family's estate in the French Quarter, or handling my family's many business affairs in the city. I also have a cutie mark of a tribal totem floating above an open book."

I was...stunned for a bit. I of course heard all of that, but I wasn't expecting such an outpouring of information so quickly. So much for questioning.

"Is that enough for you, Ms. Meir?" She asked in a bored tone.

No. It wasn't. She had yet to explain why she had been driving past the crime scene yesterday. She thought that I would just accept all this information and decide she was innocent. Nope. Not by a long shot.

It was time to get aggressive. She obviously didn't care about manners, just facts. So that's what I was going to use.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Are you done with these games, Doctor?"

"Excuse me?"

"The way I see it, YOU are the one who has been wasting time. Both your time and mine. You aren't stupid. You know why I'm here. You know I saw you yesterday at the crime scene. And you know I won't leave you alone until you tell me why you were there." I explained in a serious tone. "So just tell me what I need to know so I can back to my case, and you can get back to your students."

That got her attention. For a minute she just looked at me. Studying me. I didn't care, at this point she could write a book on me if she wanted. I just wanted what I came for.

Apparently satisfied with whatever she was studying for, Pensipony gave her explanation.

"I was just getting back from a tennis match at one of the local country clubs out by Lake Ponchipony, as I told you I play tennis on free time. When I spotted the scene, It was only curiosity to see if the roads would be closed for next weeks tennis match that had me asking Chief Karosta about what had happened. Naturally, she didn't tell me a thing."

She was telling the truth about why she was there. But I still sensed there was more to it. She was still hiding something. And very well, I might add. Her face showed no sign of her lying, but her eyes betrayed her. The tiny erratic movement of her pupils meant she was trying to hide something in her mind, and was hoping I wouldn't see. But I did. Just barely. But I did.

I decided that whatever it was, she wasn't going to be telling me, no matter how aggressive I seemed. I had gotten what I came here for. It was time to go over things with Chief Karosta and Goldbloom. Maybe they had more to go on.

"Thank you for your time, Doctor. I'll see myself out." I said politely, at which Pensipony seemed just fine with. But then as I reached for the door, she suddenly spoke up again.

"It's real you know."

I turned around without letting go of the door handle. "I'm sorry?"

"The voodoo aspect of these murders isn't faked. In fact it's all too real. Beyond that of any parlor tricks you'll find in this city. It's beyond the scope of normal voodoo." Pensipony explained without an expression.

"If you truly wish to continue this case...then I would prepare yourself for far worse things ahead." she said with a sinister tone.

I looked at her for a minute. "Good day, doctor." I said simply, then I left without another word.