• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 21,543 Views, 2,870 Comments

Humans Assemble! - Mistershield



When Equestria is in need of Heroes, only the Avengers will do. But they are stuck with this group. Now with a mini character guide.

  • ...
71
 2,870
 21,543

PreviousChapters Next
Skirmish After Skirmish

Chapter 47- Skirmish After Skirmish


“Mr. Armor, I’ve been forced to stay quiet all this time. I only wanted to know what was going on. Mind you, I was not kidding when I called myself devil. Don’t even use half anymore,” Vergil said to hold his sword up, looking at the sharp edge to gaze at his own reflection a moment. Shining Armor forgot about Johnny a moment, wondering what his partner was up to. “But, do you know what happens to a devil when you summon it? A contract is formed. We haven’t made a contract. In fact, a devil is only bound to the person-” He stopped talking there, turning to look at armor and laugh. “Or pony that summons it.”

“Why are you telling us this?” Terra asked, turning to look at the weapon as well.

“Well, as it stands, I’m in a loophole. I’m only half devil. This means I’m still covered by the amnesty your princess has given humans. Also, clearly Shining Armor did not summon me either. You know what happens when you unleash a devil with no contract?” He then turned to point the sword at Armor. “Hell.”

“Mr. Sparda, I’m not sure I like your tone very much right now...” Armor said. He lowered his head and focused his own magic into his horn. A blue light flared out, spinning in a slow circle to form a sword made from light attached to his horn. Unlike the previous swords called out before, Armor conjured up a rapier.

“I wonder, what would happen to a champion if their partner is dead?” Vergil asked, losing his smile to stare at Armor’s eyes.

“Discord...” Princess Celestia said, lowering her head to turn and look away from Johnny and focus on the problem at hoof. If this human was one of Discord’s Champions, he was here to create Chaos and also help the humans. But what if he was one summoned by Luna?

“Sister?” Princess Luna said. She turned to look down at her sister, wondering what was wrong. “Shouldn’t we stop them?”

“No... We have other pressing matters. True, we cannot punish Johnny Bravo. But at the same time, we cannot let him get into trouble. He was heading to the Hedge Maze,” Princess Celestia said. She raised her head to look at Prince Blueblood. “He’s your champion, you must take responsibility. Take some guards and make sure he is safe. We can make sure he learns how to treat a pony later.”

“Must I Auntie?” Blueblood spoke, glad he had rid himself of that blond, sunglasses wearing human.

“Hey, you guys have to listen to my commands, right?” Travis asked to look at the night pegasi.

“So long as it does not contradict with our Princess,” Shadow Cloud spoke.

“Go find Bravo then. I know you want to sleep, but we need him if he’s a champion. Kinda digging his style too.” The troops saluted their new commander and then unhitched themselves from the chariot.

“What shall be done-”

Clang!

Jack found himself interrupted by the sound of metal meeting metal in a most violent manner. Vergil swung his sword idly against the light rapier of Armor. The male unicorn tried his best, trying to swing his head and neck to try to stop the Yamato from poking him.

“Are you serious? You want to take me on?” Vergil said, raising his left eyebrow. No matter what Armor did though, he could not make his partner budge an inch. The half human barely had to flick his wrist to make Yamato clash against the magic sword.

“I may no longer be a captain, but I was made captain for a reason!” Shining Armor took a step back and then hopped forward, giving himself some height to drive his horn sword down at Vergil’s head. Instead of blocking though, the Son of Sparda raised the sheath of Yamato to slide against the horn and push him away.

“You are not even worth the sharp end of my sword.”

“Why you!” Shining said, snorting once to land to the side. This human was more than a match with him in the physical sense. Princess Cadence turned to look back at her husband, finally getting worried. Terra raised both of her hands to cross her fingers with each other to cover her mouth. She should step in?

“Dude, this is a no contest,” Travis said, crossing both arms to look back at the two fighting. His new “troops” left, joining Blueblood in the search of the Bravo. “You want us to step in?”

“No, this is between me and my partner,” Armor said, lifting his head up to look at the other males. No way was he going to back down without a fight.

“Oh, how adorable. I suppose this much is to be expected, considering he is supposed to be my partner. Alright, let me give you a chance. If you can land one blow on me before I knock you out- I will submit.” Vergil said with a smile. “At least that way you can’t say I didn’t give you a choice...”

“Don't do it nephew,” Princess Luna said. She already knew these humans were more than a match for her and her sister. Least, most of them.

“You’re on, there is no way that-” Shining Armor found himself getting shut up as Vergil decided to no longer hold back. Only Travis and Samurai Jack spotted what happened next. The following two seconds seemed to happen in a blur. Vergil ducked down, using his sheath to slide under Armor’s chin and hit him upward. Vergil continued to rise, throwing his weight to continue to push the unicorn up into the air. Even through Armor could reach Vergil above his waist height wise, he found his front side of his body lifted into the air easily.

Spike, Luna, Cadence, and Terra all watched with their mouths open as the former captain of the guard was then thrown into the air a bit, all of his legs thrown into the air above his head. Vergil then brought his sheath and arm forward as he continued to take a few steps forward. The half devil threw his weight into the shift, slamming Armor down into the ground. Thanks to the magic sword horn, Armor was embedded into the stone landing pad.

The former guard was now stuck into the ground. His head upside down as his magic was deactivated, the focus needed to maintain the light sword was thrown off. Horn stabbed into the crack, Armor was unable to move his head out of the ground, the rest of his body turning to the side as the rest of his body caught up with him.

“Holy shit,” Spike said, having learned some choice words from the other humans. No one told him it was impolite otherwise, stunned by Vergil’s sudden takedown of the captain.

“So...” Vergil said, lifting himself to stand. The half human didn’t even need to breathe hard at the move that took him less than two seconds to do. “Give up yet?”

“What... Happened?” Armor finally spoke out, not sure why he was upside down. Blood was suddenly rushing to his head. Luckily, the magic used to create the sword protected his horn from getting crushed.

“Shining Armor!” Princess Cadence said, finally realizing what happened. Luckily, while his horn was stabbed into the ground, it was the only thing that kept him from getting his head getting crushed against the hard ground.

“Such terrible speed and power,” Jack commented, narrowing his eyes at this bladesman. While Jack used the two handed power style of the katana Budo, Vergil used Heiho. One handed speed style, with the sheath as a secondary weapon. Possibly even Yagyu Ryu, it was hard to tell since Vergil had yet to use a formal move. “Was that Ryushosen?”

“So you know this move? No, its not the Dragon Flight Flash,” Vergil said with an impressed smile. Just how far back from time was this samurai? Even modern age warriors could not see him move at top speed. “I didn’t even have to use my free hand to add more power to the attack, or even jump. But, back to my theory...” Vergil said to move Yamato to point at Armor’s stomach. “Since you are a warrior, I will grant you an honorable warrior’s death...”

CLANG!

Even before Cadence could scream out “No!” Samurai Jack pulled out his sword with his free hand and pushed Vergil back several feet with a rush of a horizontal swing of his Astral sword. “You proved your point. You cannot have his life though.” Everyone turned to look at white robed human, holding his katana with both hands. His eyebrows furrowed slowly. Even Travis lost his collected pose, really wanting to see this fight. While he had been in tons of life and death battles, he witnessed very few from the sidelines.

“Oh? So your sword is not just for show?” Vergil said. “But I have no reason to fight you.”

“I propose another deal. While you may not be subject to the rules of the Equestrians, you are not above the humans. If you can defeat me, you may do as you wish. But if I defeat you, you submit to the will of our human commander.”

“What makes you think you can-” Vergil founded himself silenced, as Jack moved to stand up. Both eyes closed, Jack held his sword out in front of himself with his hands at waist level. Jack slowly went through the masters and opponent’s he’s faced and learned from till this point. Robin Hood. Spartans. Mongols. Vikings. Even Aku. Scotsman. Mad Jack. The Legendary Hunters. The Old Men and the Mountain. He slowly opened his eyes to look at Vergil in the face. Celestia and Luna shut their eyes, unable to bear the battle aura gathering about the samurai.

“I think you just met your match,” Travis scoffed, glad he wouldn't had to step in. Although hazy, thanks to his Brand he could see something building. Tension. Spike thought he could see something, but it was very dim. Although upside down, Armor stopped failings his legs, feeling something in the air.

“I have no rival, no human can be my equal,” Vergil said, turning to look at Travis for a moment. Still, Vergil felt something he had never felt. Uncertainty. He refused to call it fear.
____________________________________

Johnny wasn’t sure where he was going. One minute, he was hitting on a smoking hot babe, and then the babe slapped him. When he came to, he was looking up to look around a fancy bedroom. When he woke up, he spotted a little girly pony looking at a large mirror. After fighting for control, he won the mirror to check out his hot moves and combing his hair. Now he was on the run, for cops were jealous of his manly pecs.

Now he ran, his manly legs taking him to what looked like bushy walls. He stopped to look around a moment, spotting if any cops were on him. If Carl or that annoying little girl from next door were here, he could use them as shields. The thought that Carl may be the biggest Brony alive or that Little Suzy would love to play with unicorns never entered his mind.

Oh my sweet coco moo. I summoned Johnny Bravo.

“Who said that?” Johnny said, lifting his head up to look around. For a second there, it sounded like that voice was in his head.

Listen well Johnny. First, Don’t Panic.

“Oh my god! Voices in my head!” Johnny screamed out, hands raised over his head to run around in circles.

Oh in the name of Chaos! Johnny Bravo! If you want to go home, knock it off! And you ran into the hedge maze...

“Stop talking! Get out of my head!” Johnny yelled out, running through the hedge maze. Both of his arms were still raised over his head as he screamed with the power of manly lungs.

Listen, Johnny, if you keep screaming, the cops will find you.

The blond instantly stopped, his right leg lifted up straight in front of himself. He stayed still a second, waiting for the voice to talk again.

Oh, voices in your head make you panic, but the threat of prison makes you stop?

“Now listen here, freaky deaky voice in my head. I am not going to jail again,” Johnny said, lowering his head to place both hands on his hips. His head was pointed up, as if trying to address the voice. “Why can I hear you? And who are you?”

Oh, now you want to reason? Look, find me. I’m in the middle of the maze. And be careful, ponies are flying in the air.

“What? Why should I fear such tiny ponies?” Johnny said, lifting his right eyebrow.

Um, did I say ponies? I meant to say magical fairies. If the fairies spot you, they will tell the cops and they will send you to jail.

“Magical fairies! Not again!” Johnny said, ducking into a hedge wall. Just in time too, some pegasi flew overhead.

Oh, of course. You are the Element of Chaotic Luck. I should’ve known. Well, can’t say I can’t pick em! Find me Johnny!

“You can’t make me,” Johnny said, sticking his head out of the bushes.

There are hot chicks having a party with me.

“So like I was saying before, try and stop me!” Johnny turned forward, looking around. “Hmm... which way to go...” He raised his right hand to use his index finger to point at each entrance. “Eeny meeny miny moe, which way should I go.” Most people went left, so the blond took a turn to the right. Good thing, as Blueblood and a Canterlot guard came out of the left.

“I could’ve sworn I heard something around here,” Blueblood said, frowning.

“Could he be heading to the center?” Asked the guard.

“Him? He’s not that bright. Only way he can reach the center is through blind luck.”

“But Sir, Discord is in the center of the maze...”

“Egads,” Blueblood said, his eyes suddenly opening wide with his mouth falling slack jawed.
__________________________________

“Sorry Red Rover,” Otacon said, lifting his head up to look at the tallest Diamond Dog. Red wore a red vest. “But I can’t risk the lives of any of us. Forgive me,” The scientist said to shut both eyes.

“No, its our way. If one of us goes rabid without any wolf bite bane around, we have to take out our own,” Red Rover said. Twilight shut both her eyes, turning to look away from Otacon. It was true, even if she levitated a single canine up to Snake, they would have to find the herb and get it back. Who knows how much time that would take. Everytime Samus froze one of the rabid beasts, they got a little closer each time.

“About time. Still, fighting under trapped conditions never ends well,” Snake said through the codec. “Trixie, start levitating the Diamond Dogs up here.” Trixie nodded, lowering her horn to focus and start raising the smallest one. Rin Tin found himself being lifted up into the air in a light blue hue.

“Pasta! Get ready. Lethal measures has been approved. Samus, keep freezing them though. Twilight, start levitating the others towards Rin Tin,” Otacon said. Twilight nodded, using her own magic to levitate Red Rover up to the ledge where Trixie and Snake were at. “Samus, can we shatter them if they get iced?” The scientist raised his head over a stone to fire a few bursts from his gun. Merchant was right, the stock helped.

“Yes, but the thicker a creature is, the harder it is to freeze and also shatter. Even charging my beams rarely freezes them. Must be because they are warm blooded. Low caliber weapons won't cut-” The visor turned to look at Merchant. Otacon also moved to look.

“What?” Merchant asked innocently. He had a rocket launcher in his left arm, hoisted on his shoulder. On his other hand, he held unto a mine launcher. “Too much?”

“Look, just take them out. I’m sorry, but its us, or them,” Otacon said. How was it possible this guy could carry so much on himself? “Take... Take them out.” Otacon released a sighed and stood up. Snake moved to stand, getting his sniper rifle out.

“David, what are you doing?!” Trixie said, moving Rin Tin on the ground they were. The canine landed on the ground, kissing the ground with his eyes closed. He hated flying.

“The others are fighting, from this angle I can’t help. Least my rifle can penetrate through armor,” Snake said. The human jumped off the ledge and then slid down the smooth cavern wall, holding the sniper rifle into his chest. Trixie frowned, but moved to levitate another mountain canine named Young Yeller up.

“Alright. Twilight, start getting the others up. When you get yourselves up, start heading for the exit...” Otacon said to get out of cover. Samus turned to look at Otacon at his left side. Snake landed on the ground and rushed over to stand at her right. Merchant finally settled on the mine launcher. The rocket launcher should be saved for special occasions.

“On my mark,” Otacon said. He moved his right hand up to his cloak and pull it off in a single flourish. Samus shrugged and did the same with Snake, sliding the cloak off their forms to expose their combat threads. The scientist reloaded the Matilda and then make the barrel point ahead of himself. The stealth agent raised his rifle to brace the butt of the rifle against his right shoulder. Samus removed her ice gun as the cannon barrel spun again. Bracers against the canon entryway were released to allow access to fire missiles.

“What was that all about?” Merchant asked, turned to look at the others. Each having their own little scene to prepare as all he did was hold his weapon at his waist and brace the end against his form. “We are doing this executioner style.”

“The ponies may not want to look at this,” Samus said as she released a sigh. Merchant was right. They were going to mow down these poor sick dogs.

“Fire.”

Big Macintosh moved to stand behind a rock, eyes closed. Twilight turned her back to the humans, levitating Junebug up next. "They had to do this. This was the merciful thing to do. They can’t use magic. They were meant to be a team for negotiation, and even Zecora could not have anticipated the Diamond Dogs got sick...” Least, she tried to convince herself. The sane miner dogs looked down, sadden by the view. Young Yeller whined.

The tunnel was lit up, burst fire from the collected weapons giving off a bright flashes. Bodies of the attack dogs begun to litter the floor. A mine would landed on a chest plate, giving off a few warning red beeps and then explode. A rifle shot would hit the spot between the eyes to send a body to the floor. Shots from the Matilda moved into legs, parts that carried no armor and hindered progress. Cheeks that once slobbered a sick foam were pushed back and blown off by missiles.

Trixie gave thanks she was up above, not subject to look ahead and be on the receiving end of the human’s barrage.
___________________________________

“What is wrong with you kids!?” Sokka yelled out, ducking behind a lawn table the Rich family had. He frowned, looking down at a yellow stain on his big green bag. “Do you know how much Katara is going to yell at me when she washes this!?” He held on to the bottom of his favorite bag, having used it as a shield while running for cover. Why did that kid had such good aim? He was under fire from gumballs, mustard, rubber bands, rubber chickens, and other weird things.

“Why are you shooting at Mr. Sokka?” Derpy asked, looking at the human kids. None of the things looked dangerous, so she had no idea how serious the KND were. The fillies and colts also gathered around the grey pegasus, looking at the strange exchange.

“Are those supposed to be weapons?” Rumble asked. He looked at the strange weapons the children held in their arms. Whatever it was, it used lots of wood.

“What the hell?” Ash asked, arriving at the Rich family house with the Mayor in tow. The duo had gotten together to walk with Filthy Rich to talk money matters when they all heard the explosion.

“My Kitchen!” Filthy Rich said, lifting himself to sit on his haunches and hold his head with both his front hooves. “Are we under attack again?”

“Mr. Sokka?” Mayor Mare asked, spotting him getting... Something. “What happened?”

“I have no idea! These kids are crazy!” The teen said, lifting his right hand to point at the Kids Next Door.

“That’s a perfectly good pie gone to waste,” Ash said, looking at a pie fly hit Sokka on the side of his head. “Are these like, rejected Children of the Corn or something?”

“Just help me already!” Sooka said, getting down to hide and wipe the pie from his face.

“You want me to get serious with a bunch of kids?” Ash said, lowering his hands down. “And give what, a stern lecture?”

“We are highly trained operatives, the best!” Number One said, stopping to look at the ponies. Of course they had no idea of the adult initiative to get kids to behave.

“Yeah! We fight adults that want to punish us, who want to send us to bed without dessert, and those that make us eat - Eeewww- Broccoli or brussel sprouts,” Number Two said.

“Because we hate getting bad haircuts from inept fathers!” Number Four said.

“Its an adult!” Number Three said, pointing at Ash.

“I got him!” Number Five said to shoot a rubber band at his face. She fired he rubber band launcher, hitting Ash squarely between his eyes. Not hurt by the attack, Ash still had to blink and wince away at the “attack.”

“You know what? Its on,” Ash said as he was beyond annoyed now. Mayor Mare and Rich slowly took steps away from the tall human as he started to make his war face.

“Is everyone alright?” Dovahkiin said, huffing a bit to reach the scene. Applejack arrived from the opposite side, turning to look at the fillies and colts. Thank goodness they all looked alright. The cowpony gave a sigh and then turned to look at the human children.

“Well, this explains how yall adults git so strong. Yer all trained from birth,” The Element of Honesty said.

“Now now, kids, I’m sure-” Dovahkiin raised both his hands up to try and talk to the kids. The dragonborn loved kids, he would always play hide and seek with them when he had a chance. Helped to keep his position as head of the thieves guild a secret.

“Another one! And this one looks like a Candy Pirate!” Number One said. He reached into his pockets and pulled out a few marbles to toss them out to the floor. Dovahkiin took a few steps and then slipped, landing on his back to look up at the sky.

“Dovah?” Applejack asked, turning to look at her partner. It was amazing- Dragons, changelings, and timberwolves were no match for this human. But he fell to a bunch of kids. The little ponies at Derpy’s sides stayed out of this. This was a human thing, and the Crusaders long ago learned their lesson.

“Of course you know, this means war!” Dovahkiin said to sit up. The smile on his face was replaced with a frown.

“Finally!” Sokka said. It looks like he could fight properly. He reached for his boomerang and held it out with his right hand. He threw it out in an arc, making the weapon spin rapidly to hit Number Two on his hand to make him drop the pie launcher.

“Ow!” Number Two said, perking up his eyes at how the teen caught his boomerang from the air. Crap, a sudden chill filled his spine. That look he was getting from the teen got him worried. That was the look of an adult like a Teacher or Police Officer gave. An adult that was under the “Don’t Fight, No Matter What” engagement clause under the charter between adults and kids. “Number One...”

“Not now Number Two, the other are-” Number One suddenly found himself going quiet when he said Ash pull out his chainsaw and rev it up with a single pull. His sunglasses slid down on his nose to see the look of anger on Ash’s face.

“Number One...” Number Five said, lowering her weapon to see the Dovahkiin stand up and draw out his bow and arrows. “I think we messed up,”

“Apologize now!” Number Three said, fear growing in her eyes.

“What? There is no crummy way that-”

“FUS RO DAH!”

Number Four found himself silent as he and the other Kids Next Door were thrown back like rag dolls against the Dovahkiin’s shout. Ash rushed forward, kicking up the weapons the kids had drop to slice them to shreds with a single swipe of his chainsaw. Sokka stepped away from the overthrown table and walk up to join his team mates. The warriors turned to nod at each other, and then turned to face the kids.

“We’re sorry?” Number Four said, standing on his head as the rest of his body was against a wall.

“What is wrong with your kids? Look, I know you're confused and all about how you got here, but come on!” Ash said, holding his chainsaw up to point at the munchkins.

“Look, we’re really sorry, we didn't know,” Number Two said as he tried to get his head out of bush.

“This is my responsibility, I lead my team into the attack. Don’t call our parents! Please!” Number One said, getting on his knees to beg.

“Please don't chop us off! Please don't eat us!” Number three said, getting on her knees as well.

“What are you talking about?!” Ash said, turning his chainsaw off.

“Aren’t you the chainsaw mangler?”

“Hell no!” Ash said, frowning. Like he was some B grade movie hero.

“Looks like we got a chance to talk...” Dovahkiin said as he lowered his bow. “Don’t you ever knock me down again!”
__________________________________

Jack slowly moved his left leg over his right, walking in a circle to as he faced Vergil. In turn, the devil did the same. The others still on site moved back, giving the swordsmen a wide berth.

“What are they doing?” Spike asked, lifting his head to look at Travis.

“Dude, shut up. These two are trying to size each other up. Vergil is cautions, that Kimono Jack is wearing is hiding his body and muscles so Vergil can’t tell where Jack will attack from. Jack is being cautious because of that dude’s speed,” Travis said in a low voice. Even he would've done the same. He didn't want to be either of the men, he doubted he had a chance against those two. “Right now, they are both waiting for the perfect chance to strike...”

“For someone that just wants to make this a bet, you look ready to kill,” Vergil said. He was trying to get a rise out of the samurai.

“For someone that is half devil, you showed much mercy to these ponies,” Jack retorted. Vergil frowned at that comment. Point to Jack. Enough stalling... They both stopped circling each other and rushed forward. Vergil stood on his left foot forward, his body in a southpaw position to push his weight into the blow. Jack stood forward, both hands holding on to the sword to meet Vergil head on and grit his teeth.

Everyone but Travis missed the initial blur, the two warriors meeting each other for the first time. He narrowed his eyes, having more troubles with Vergil than Jack. That guy was fast... Too fast.
Jack was able to keep up with Vergil though, not being weighed down by heavy cloths and also experience to read muscle movements.

Vergil in turn was surprised, unable to move forward. This human was strong, even strong enough to be on par with major devils. He was also shocked that Jack could match his speed. Both metal swords made sparks fly out against each other. The constant screeching that both swords made, sounded like both weapons hated each other. Both warriors stepped back only a second to resume their attack.

Jack brought his sword down in a horizontal slice, using his shoulders to add more power to the attack. Vergil in turn, spun his weight on his left leg and then step forward with his right leg, adding a quick boost into his upward swing to meet the Astral sword. Once again, sparks erupted from the confrontation. This time though, Vergil did not stop to make it a battle of wills. He swung his weight again to step to the left side and dart out from Jack and send the Yamato to cut part of Jack’s sleeve.

“Shit...” Travis said, commenting on the attack. Vergil was a lot like his twin brother. Cool and calculating. Jack gave a slight wince at the pain as a small cut was formed on his skin to bleed. Still, the human turned to slice the empty space the half devil once occupied.

“What is it?” Luna asked, unable to look away.

“He’s fighting smart. The kimono was getting in the way, so Vergil is going to try and cut it off the samurai,” the assassin said. It was true. Vergil resorted to quick cuts, sliding from view and using his top speed as much as he could to perform slashes that placed cuts along Jack’s upper body. Small cuts begun to appear on Jack’s back and arms as his white kimono started to drop from his shoulders.

“In case anyone cares, I’m still upside down...” Shining Armor said as everyone else had forgotten about him. Princess Cadence and Celestia turned away from the fight and quickly joined him, trying to use their magic to help him get free.

Jack kept his ground, his eyes moving left to right. The half devil was there one second, and then gone at his side in an instant. While the samurai could see Vergil move, his body had a bit of trouble reacting at fighting such a high speed. Even fighting that black robed ninja was still not as fast as Vergil. The human winced, finding another cut slashing against his side.

Vergil stopped for a moment, getting a chance to inspect the damage done on Jack. The samurai raised both hands up in pain from the last attack. Good. For whatever reason, even the Yamato did not want to clash against the other katana. Jack moved to sheathe his sword a second and then moved both hands to tear his top off.

“What’s-” Spike stopped talking, looking at how strange Jack was acting. The top of the white robe was torn off, exposing the humans chest. The cuts across on his skin were shallow, so they were not bleeding much. Through sheer experience, the samurai had shifted his body away from the cut before they could do much damage.

“AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!” Jack shouted up into the air, making everyone gathered there turn back to look at Jack. The human had shut both eyes, balling both hands into fists and give out a primal scream into the air. The tension that had been building into the samurai was released at once.

“Brace yourselves,” Travis said. Spike and Luna turned to look at him. “Its coming.” Armor was starting to come out of the rock when the princesses that were helping him out stopped to look over at the scream. Pushed his neck up, finishing the job to get himself out of the ground to study the confrontation better.

Vergil moved to side his own sword into his sheath, holding them both in his left hand. He could have gone in for the kill, but something in him told him not to. That was an aura shout, one warriors liked to use to psyche themselves up. But to those trained, it meant “chi” or some primal power was being called upon. If he had tried to get in now, he had a feeling he would have been pushed back.

Jack finally opened his eyes, turning to look at Vergil. While he would have liked to go into a berserker rage and just cut, the confrontation against Mad Jack taught him otherwise. Jack took a piece of his torn kimono and raised it up to tie it over his eyes. The half devil narrowed his eyes at this. Dammit all, trying to anger the human and throw him off balance hadn't worked. He couldn't afford to let this match go on, it was insulting to his demon heritage.

“Devil Trigger,” Vergil said. moving his arms out from his sides to give his own aura burst. Terra turned to look at Vergil aghast by the transformation. Unlike an esper, Vergil’s transformation was not a pleasant one. Vergil had two wings that resemble a bat, hung low on his back. His sword was hanging from his leg wing, the sheathe grafted into his leathery wing. His face changed color, while two horns came out from his head to push his white hair back. The boots he wear were gone, revealing toes with claw like fingernails. Only his vest remained, clinging tightly to his shoulders.

“So that’s a devil...” Armor said, taking a step back. Had this being truly been his partner? How was this devil a partner to Love? Both he and Princess Cadence were the Elements of Love. Jack missed this, but he could feel the power emanating from the half human. He was indeed crazy to try and stand up to his partner.

Jack didn’t care, he was finding peace in his mind’s eye. Jack raised both of his hands up, holding the Astral sword parallel to his head. Let that Devil come. Vergil moved to duck down, getting ready to perform an iai, a quick draw move. If this didn't work, he could always unleash Dark Angel.

“This will settle it, won’t it?” Spike asked. His small eyes reflected the image of the devil Vergil had transformed into. How could Jack possibly stand up to this thing?

Vergil launched himself, his right hand reaching into his wing to draw out his sword and slash out to his side past Jack. The human merely lowered his sword to cut, not moving from his spot.

“What... Happened?” Luna asked. Both fighters stood still a second, not doing anything.

“I couldn’t tell,” Travis said with a frown. He had still a lot to learn about formal katana combat. “Look!” He said, finally spotting something. Vergil picked himself to stand, moving to grab his sheathe from his wing. Spike couldn’t understand, why had Vergil moved to grab his sheathe when his wing could-

“Damnit,” Vergil said after a moment. He found himself being pushed forward, as his devil wings had been cut off. An eruption of blood both pushed his wings off his form and also propel the devil forward to fall. Jack moved to slide his sword back into his left side with his right hand. He then moved to push his blindfold off his eyes to turn to look back at his opponent.

“This is an Astral sword, made from a mineral that fell from the heavens. It was made to specially cut and extinguish demons,” Jack said. The Equestrian Royalty picked up their heads, never hearing of this. No wonder Vergil had kept his distance during the fight.

“That explains a lot...” Vergil said, keeping his elbows bent against the ground to keep his upper body up. He frowned, the devil trigger leaving his form after a second. Back in his human form, he found the twintails of his coat cut off and blood trailing down his back.

“Do you yield?” Jack asked. His chest moved up and down, breathing deeply. All of his concentration and breathing were being held for a single dodge and counter cut. had he been off in any way he could have very likely died, since he did not focus on defense.

“Yes,” Vergil said, trying to lift himself to kneel. While he had lived during an impalement and countless fights and hits, getting cut again by a holy sword was not a good idea. He would need to recover his wings before he could try again.

Travis walked over to Jack, arms crossed on his chest. “Oh, how the mighty have fallen... You ok?”

“The cuts are shallow. I will be fine. But I hate having to wait for a new kimono,” Jack said. Spike instantly followed behind Travis, moving to hop up to land on Jack’s right shoulder. The samurai chuckled, moving his right arm up to hold the dragon by his legs to keep him from falling down.

“I knew it! I knew you were awesome!” Spike said with a smile. “No way the champion of a dragon was going to lose to the champion of a pony!”

“Bit arrogant, aren't you?” Armor said, finally able to walk over to talk to his partner. “Looks like we both got a lesson in humility...” Terra walked over to Vergil, using her magic to heal the devil.

“Why?” Vergil asked, lifting his eyebrows to look up her.

“While infinitely stupid, I believe in second chances. Besides, us half humans have to stick together...”
__________________________________

You found me Johnny!

“Liar! Where are the hot babes!?” Johnny said, looking around quickly. Although it took him a while, he was covered in bruises and leaves, lost for a bit, he found himself at the center of the maze and looking at the statue of a stupid looking dragon.

Touch the Statue...

“Why?” Johnny asked, still trying to look for the voice.

“No! Don't touch the statue!” Blueblood said, finally finding his partner from another entrance.

Oh, smooth move Blueblood.. Now telling Johnny not to do something will make him want to do it more...

Johnny did indeed want to touch the dragon statue now. He stepped forward, letting his hand rest on Discord’s face.

Author’s notes: Could I have made the fights more epic? Probably. But there is a reason they are called skirmishes, not fights to the death. Chapter proofreaded by LyonAzakura.

PreviousChapters Next