• Published 19th Sep 2017
  • 4,142 Views, 50 Comments

Starship Ponyville: Mystic Acoustics - Vylet Pony



While recovering from civil war and suffering from an unsustainable planet, Equestria faces a new age of darkness and uncertainty amidst its scientific advancements..

  • ...
6
 50
 4,142

VIII. Fall of the Empire

Her parents held her for a long time. Though they had expressed a hope that she’d return soon, Satyrn made a point to make herself believe that she would. Celestia had organized a full scale assault plan aimed at Statera in order to stop whatever imminent threat it would pose (like nuclear fallout or something like that). Satyrn had already demonstrated on innumerable occasions that she had the strength and persistence for the responsibility. Her attempted assassination survival was only to the benefit of her reputation. If it meant anything to anypony, Luna was certain she was valuable.

She knew Satellite was dangerous. Forever and a day ago, Satyrn fled Statera as a child. Countless times, she thought about what the ‘examination’ she was called to have would have been, eventually convinced that they were going to start the brainwashing process that evening. Though she had never seen it herself, ponies she knew seemed to develop an apathetic and uncaring attitude about everything. From what she experienced about herself and the ponies she lived with now, it certainly wasn’t the usual maturation that came with aging.

Satyrn met with Sylver, a grey pegasus with various marks and scars all over his body. It was obvious that he was a veteran of sorts. He wore his long brown mane in a ponytail, his eyes were accompanied by thin-framed glasses. Before the march began, Satyrn thought about her family, hoping that she really would return home in one piece. In a way, her life in Statera was hazy … but she couldn’t remember feeling even remotely safe there. Now that she knew what safety was like, Satyrn wasn’t sure if she was truly ready to put herself in danger again. Fighting the civil war was far more conventional and analytical. Conversely, she was hardly at ease being in the middle of a conflict against an unpredictable micronation.

As night fell, they marched straight to the Great City of Equality (as its government once claimed it to be). Satyrn gathered every ounce of courage she could. But, her heart shook and her eyes watered. She was afraid. A sharp winter air lacerated their bodies as they advanced. Once reaching Statera, Satyrn volunteered to look ahead. Sylver waited with the rest of the soldiers. The city was encompassed by an iron wall with a gate resembling a drawbridge at the entrance (It probably wasn’t used much, since Satellite was fond of keeping ponies in). Satyrn took to the air and glided quietly up to the top of the metal blockade. At the top, she floated down the other side. To her surprise, the city was quiet and unguarded. Holding her breath, she looked around for any sign of ambush. The city was dark and desolate. It was as if the city itself was waiting for something. One minute passed. Two. Three. Seeing nopony about, Satyrn scaled the wall down to the gate.

“Nothing.” Satyrn reported over her comms.

Sylver picked up on the other line “Didn’t you say there was a curfew?”

“There should still be guards,” Satyrn replied, shivering. “I’m going to get this gate open. Are you ready?”

Sylver looked back at the infantry, fearing the losses. He seemed nervous.

For a moment everything remained still. What broke the silence was the sound of water droplets coming down. Slowly, at first, the rain came. As the moments became minutes, the the rainstorm approached. Waiting for an answer, Satyrn stared at the colossal spire that rose up from the center of Statera.

“What was it they say back in Neighpon, captain?” Satyrn asked him “before a battle?”

Sylver looked over at the gate, waving a hoof over his face to avoid the rain. Then he turned back to the soldiers. He let go of his fears and took a deep breath.

“Ganbatte douhou, banzai!” Sylver roared. (Good luck brethren. Prosperity!)

Satyrn smiled, her heart racing. She switched her Magic Channeling Device to “Auxiliary Function”, allowing her hooves to produce hand-like extensions. Pulling out her AV MKIII, a completed gunblade, she blasted the gate mechanisms. The entrance collapsed as the hinges disintegrated. It came down, breaking upon its impact with the ground. Satyrn crossed it and met back with Sylver and the task force. Together, they moved down the central road. As they marched, they saw that all the streets and alleys were lined with Stateran guards and civilians. Satyrn watched as every civilian, one by one, was executed by firing squad. It was a perverted show of strength meant to strike fear into Satellite’s enemies. The citizens all lined up willingly, too. They were led by their own zealous indoctrination to do as “their master bids” or whatever. Still, it was terrifying to watch.

“Just keep moving.” Satyrn told Sylver and the others. Their eyes were all wide in despair.

Down the road was the spire. The towers surrounding it spewed smoke stacks like geysers. “The Obelisk” was the center of all Statera’s operations, both government and manufacturing. Staterans learned to capitalize on the art of steelworks and weapon making. We found out a few years later that Statera was in a secret trade deal with Saddle Arabia. We should’ve guessed since there was no reason for a seemingly secluded state to focus on economic health. That’s besides the point though.

Once they reached The Obelisk, Satyrn took one last moment to breathe. So did the rest of them. After the time was up, the pegasus took her gunblade and breached the entrance.

Right then and there, the fighting began.