• Published 14th Sep 2017
  • 5,141 Views, 353 Comments

Scaled Heights - Zephyr Spark



Rainbow Dash discovers Spike has the makings of a great archer to represent Ponyville in the next Equestria Games, but dragon-hating officials, and a dragon-fearing town are bent to bar him, and Ponyville, from the games

  • ...
5
 353
 5,141

Epilogue Three Months Later

Rainbow Dash and Spike took a moment to admire how their trophy, and collection of golden archery medals, looked in Ponyville’s town hall. A month after the Games, and they still couldn’t get over their victory. He was bound to walking on crutches for at least another two months, but he’d recover.

“Pretty crazy to think we got this far,” said Spike.

“I never doubted you,” said Rainbow Dash. “Not for one second.”

He smiled at her.

“So, how’s being the future godfather of Lightning Star and Fleetfoot’s foal going for you?”

“They don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl yet, so they’re waiting until then before they decide on a name. Besides,” he said with a little grin. “Lightning’s pretty busy these days with his Royal Guard job. That doesn’t give him much time to think about names.”

“I heard. Almost can’t believe the Princesses just hired him on the spot.”

“I’m not surprised. She couldn’t ask for a better stallion to train the Royal Guards in archery.”

“I hear Thunder Star’s having a good time in Canterlot, hanging out with her brother, Fleetfoot, and the other Royal Guards.”

“Yeah,” Spike said, smiling. “I’m glad she’s back on her hooves.”

“Spike,” She said suddenly shifting to a more serious tone. “I have to ask; what do you think we really accomplished?”

He frowned, taken aback by the question. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Well, we won the Games, you scored better than every other archer, but it’s not like everypony just up and accepted all dragons.”

“No kidding. Some little babies still sniffle when they see me around the markets,” He gave a sly chuckle laced with self-deprecation. “And some ponies still look at me kind of funny.”

“Don’t get me wrong, I think what you’ve done is incredible, but the Creed and other groups like it are still around. Ponies still don’t totally trust dragons after that Fillydelphia attack. Honestly, I’m not sure they ever will, even if they find the dragons responsible.”

“I know,” Said Spike. “But Twilight kind of told me something that puts a lot of it into perspective.”

“What’s that?”

“Progress takes time. We have to face setback after setback. And sometimes, we don’t get the change we want or we don’t even live long enough to see the impact we left on the world. But, one little action can inspire other little actions. It’s like a ripple effect, you know? Maybe, I didn’t make much of a difference. But, I’d like to think that at the very least, I’ve paved the way for someone else. Made it just a bit easier for someone else out there.”

Rainbow Dash regarded Spike for a moment, wondering when he became so wise and thoughtful.

“Like I said,” Twilight’s voice spoke from behind, “Love beats hate in the long run.”

They turned around to find the purple alicorn walking towards him, accompanied by Starlight, Fluttershy, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Bulk.

“Oh, hey,” said Spike sheepishly, “I didn’t see you there. Sorry about skipping out on chores again, Twi. I just wanted to see the trophy again.”

“It’s fine,” she said, walking towards her favorite dragon. “Actually, I got some news I think you’ll like. Ember and Thorax are registering their own teams for the Equestria Games next year. And I hear Fillydelphia’s recruiting local dragons too.”

Spike smiled at the wonderful news. “See?” He said with some tears in his eyes. “I did make a little difference.”

“More like a big difference,” said Rarity with a smile. “Fillydelphia’s also having its first dragon-pony marriage. Yellow and Frost are together now, because of you.”

“Huh,” Spike said with a soft laugh and a warm glance at Rarity. “A dragon marrying a pony. I never thought I’d see the day.”

She smiled right back at him. “They invited us to their wedding scheduled in a few months. They never would’ve done that if it weren’t for you.”

“And there’s some better news,” said Pinkie Pie with a little hop. “White Bolt and Crimson Bolt got temporary leave from prison to visit the wedding.”

“And they’re okay with Yellow Bolt marrying Frost?”

“He’s their brother. They love him no matter what. And anyways, Honey Charm’s the one who’s overreacting with all the happy crying.”

“I don’t care what you say,” Applejack said, “Honey Charm’s apple cider addiction is good for my business.”

“I guess we better send him our congratulations,” said Spike. “I’ll be sure to write a letter when I get home.”

“Are you feeling any better, Spike?” Asked Fluttershy.

“A lot better now, actually.” He grinned. “I’m itching to pick up a bow again.”

“I can’t believe you sometimes,” Applejack said with an amused snort. “Three months after the last Games and you’re already thinking of the next one.”

“I guess I wanna be there. You know? When other dragons are out on the field competing,” He said, “I just want to see it.”

“You will,” said Bulk. “The wealthy stuck-ups like Blueblood can’t stop what you’ve started, no matter how much money they throw out there making new laws and whatever.”

“Plus, we’ve got a friend in Silver,” said Twilight. “Nopony’s going to say no to the wealthiest archer in Equestria if he wants dragons in the Games.”

“And we can hire Trixie to represent us in court if they do,” Said Starlight. “Turns out she studied law for four years before deciding she couldn’t take other ponies tossing around lawyer jokes at her.”

They all looked at Starlight, surprised.

“I didn’t peg Trixie for an intellectual,” said Bulk.

“Yeah, me neither—hey, wait a second!” Rainbow Dash turned around to face Bulk. “You just used an expression.”

“It’s the only one I can remember from that book you gave me to read, sorry.”

“Well, we all have to start somewhere,” Said Rainbow Dash with a shrug.

“Yeah,” said Spike. “I guess we all do.”

As they left town hall, they left with hope and pride. Any pony who looked at them would smile as they walked by and wave at Spike. Then and there, he let out happy tears, grateful he lived long enough to see the difference he made.

The End

Author's Note:

One year in developing this plot from bare bone outlines and another year to flesh it out and then decide to go in a different direction. It's been difficult to keep writing at times, but I'm glad I did. I'd like to thank my editor The Fan Without a Face for all his help and honest opinions. Thanks to him, there were fewer plot inconsistencies, grammatical errors, and jokes that would only make readers groan. I owe him a lot for corresponding with me for a whole year, even when my story probably got offtrack and took a while to go anywhere. I also owe a lot to Spike the Dragon, who inspires me to keep writing everyday and fills my imagination. Finally, I'd like to thank you, the fandom, my followers, or any readers who just happened to find my story interesting enough to stick to for all this time. Seriously, you're all awesome. I may have to take a break for a while to take care of some other things, but I hope to return with more stories. Thanks for all you do.

Zephyr Spark

Comments ( 34 )

I remember how this story started, when you wrote a blog about needing assistance with the title of this story. And now, we're here, at the end. Needless to say, I really did enjoy this and the way you represented Spike as a bridge to fix the gap between unity, it was really well done. That and his talent for archery was something well combined with his character. Take your break, man, you deserve it. Thanks for this great story!

This... Is something that should be topping the charts and its sad to see it not so.

Amazing! You did a fantastic job with this story, especially with the story about Spike! There should be more stories about Spike who deserves character growth like this. I enjoyed it from start to finish.

This definitely earned a spot to my Top Favourite Completed Stories Shelf!

Well done! :twilightsmile:

“Yeah, me neither—hey, wait a second!” Rainbow Dash turned around to face Bulk. “You just used an expression.”

:rainbowlaugh: truely this is the real victory of the story!


Man, this has been a long time running. Hard to believe it's already here. Come and went with just these two chapters sweeping things up.

Thanks for the story. :twilightsmile:

9056595
Ya. At one point Hasbro came out and said. Stuff in the show is canon unless it contradicts something in the show. In which case that comics arch is rendered non-canon. Which just makes the entire thing a giant mess.

Is it too soon to ask for a sequel😂 loved this story, you did an amazing job!

Already excited for your next story.round of applause, man

Another excellent story out of you Zephyr Spark.

PS. its your fault my legs are cramping, my back is aching, and I need to pee real bad. Once I started I couldn't stop until I finished the whole story.

A great ending to an awesome fic! I am so glad to have read this, and I really hope this isn't the end of the story!

“And we can hire Trixie to represent us in court if they do,” Said Starlight. “Turns out she studied law for four years before deciding she couldn’t take other ponies tossing around lawyer jokes at her.”

All I can think of is this
"The Great and Powerful Trixie objects your honor!"
"The Great and Powerful Trixie pleads innocent"

Comment posted by Blue-Bolt deleted Jan 7th, 2019

Say it with me now folks:
ALICORN PRINCESSES ARE USELESS!

Wow, great story! Filled with drama, danger and honor!

A beautiful end for an amazing story:pinkiesad2:

9056866 Thanks! Really means a lot to read nice comments like these.

9056562 Yeah, it's been a long, long road and there were some points where I wanted to give up. But I'm glad I stuck with it and finished the story.

Pretty good ending, I must say. I am glad I read this story, and saw it through to the end.

Though again, I still can't buy this whole running joke with Trixie having a skill for every occasion. I guess it's meant as a joke, but it just felt more like shilling to me. (Then again, I readily admit I'm not a fan of the character, so take that with some salt if you want.)

Still, all in all, you did a great job with this story. Congrats on finishing it, man!

I can't say this story was awful, but I do feel like it was ultimately a waste of my time. It was competently written and a lot of the ideas had potential, but it was also contrived and cringey, especially at the end.

The reveal that the source of the villain's power which allows him to do whatever the plot needs him to is just some amulet. Not the Alicorns Amulet or some relic of Sir Knight. It's just some random, nonspecific magic tchotchke that gives him functionally unlimited power.

And then there's Discord, who suddenly reveals that he has plot-contrivance powers 25% power (which he has for...reasons), and it's only just enough for him to do what the plot needs him to do. It wouldn't matter if he has 99% power or 0.9%, since his only function is as a deus-ex-machina.

I could go on about how superficial the characters were, especially the laughably cliche strawman villains, but honestly I kind of just want to be done.

Like I said, I didn't hate it or anything, but there weren't really any noteworthy positives to latch onto, so there was nothing to offset the negatives I found.

I'm very happy to have found this story again, I remember reading it back when there was only about 13 chapters. Now to see it finished i'm very happy

Binge read this one. Very nice.

9097374
What was that glance Spike shot towards rarity about?

9395804
We shalt not speak of it?

9397008 Use your imagination.

Y'know, I was hoping that something would happen with Thunder Star and Spike.

Good story, too bad in the end we didn't see Celestia punish Blueblood without dessert for a month

Gave this read, all in one sitting. I give this 5 stars out of 5!

This is a great story, a real piece of art.

This is awesome !! :rainbowkiss: I don’t like the fact that I found this late. Truly a hidden gem. Thank you for this, it’s truly a masterpiece.

An awesome story. It's going up high in my Favorites shelf. :pinkiehappy:
And I'm glad it all turned out good in the end, as always. :derpytongue2:
Hope for your return back here soon...

Login or register to comment