• Published 29th Sep 2017
  • 4,218 Views, 55 Comments

Redeeming Darkness - 'Displaced' - KukriRyuTsukino



What happens when you go to a convention as one of the most infamous Rangers who actively chose to go dark? How would you redeem his actions... through your own?

  • ...
23
 55
 4,218

Meetings and Possible Friendships

Dawn Wing, Canterlot Palace
FPOV PerspectiveThomas Oliver
'I'm still getting used to this place, this “Canterlot” though it does sound like a somewhat poor pun of 'canter’ and 'Camelot’ which was King Arthur's intended peaceful city.

A pipe dream, unfortunately. I'm fairly certain that this place also has its own darker side as well. Not sure who Princess Celestia insisted I meet with and in her words 'hopefully forge a strong bond of friendship with’. Meh, ain't in my nature to be rude, unfortunately.

Mhmm, gotta remember to look for a good music store or recording studio. Pretty sure the music I'm familiar with doesn't exist here, so that could be a quick source of income. I'm out.

------- 𝌜𝌐𝌚𝌲𝌡-------

Thomas Oliver sighed softly as he rolled his shoulders, his crystalline aquamarine-emerald eyes deepening to a cool, cautious teal-emerald at the knock on the door. He opened the door to see someone with a Maya blue coat, periwinkle mane and tail with a deeper blue streak, dark blue eyes, and a Cutie Mark of an hourglass. His eyebrow rose slightly at the sight of the mare, whom he guess to be fourteen or fifteen.

“I’m Minuette, and I’m going to escort you to Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. I go to school there along with several of my friends, though one was recently chosen as Princess Celestia’s ‘personal student’, though I’m not sure why,” the mare said, his gaze flickering momentarily upward to the gently swirling horn that stuck a little over two inches from her forehead, partially covered by her mane.

“And you’re a bit jealous, aren’t you? Don’t be. Sometimes it’s not the attention that we gain that proves to be the harshest, but the pressure we put on ourselves. I know what that’s like, personally, and it’s far from enjoyable,” Thomas deadpanned, shrugging.

He exhaled slowly as he walked after the unicorn mare. ‘Strange that I would end up in a place where… ponies…. seem almost human, as strange as it sounds. Have to remember that assumptions about others make the assumer look like a fool or an ass, depending on perspective. Actions are what prove one’s truth, not words nor assumptions,’ he thought, his gaze scanning around cautiously as they walked, his body tensed for action.

He grimaced at the surge of sunlight as he blocked the sudden light with one hand before he blinked, grimacing for a few seconds before his ears twitched at the soft sounds of a violin and lyre. He noticed a gray mare with a lightly curled raven mane and soft purple eyes. The light green unicorn mare had a pale sea green and cream colored mane.

“Do you mind if I join you? Your music brought something from my memory,” he said.

“Surely, though I am curious what it brought to mind,” the gray mare said curiously.

Thomas smirked slightly as he plunged his hand into his pocket before pulling out his acoustic guitar. He saw the purple eyes widening in surprise as the soft green mare laughed, clapping a bit at the simple trick.

“You'll see,” he teased as he settled close to the pair, though he did notice Minuette nearby with a curious countenance.

His fingers strummed gently and slowly, though he was a bit impressed as the gray mare joined in after a few bars, followed by the unicorn mare.

“You spoke a word and life began,
Told oceans where to start and where to end...
You set in motion time and space,
But still you come and you call to me by name...
Still you come and you call to me by name…

If you can hold the stars in place,
You can hold my heart the same.
Whenever I fall away,
Whenever I start to break,

So here I am, lifting up my heart...
"Lifting up my heart,"
To the one who holds the stars…

The deepest depths, the darkest nights...
Can't separate, can't keep me from your sight,
I get so lost, forget my way...
But still you love and you don't forget my name…

If you can hold the stars in place,
You can hold my heart the same...
Whenever I fall away,
Whenever I start to break,

So here I am, lifting up my heart...
If you can calm the raging sea,
You can calm the storm in me...
You're never too far away,

You never show up too late...
So here I am, lifting up my heart,
To the one who holds the stars...

Your love has called my name,
What do I have to fear?
What do I have to fear?
Your love has called my name,
What do I have to fear?
What do I have to fear?
If you can hold the stars in place,
You can hold my heart the same...

Whenever I fall away...
Whenever I start to break,

So here I am, lifting up my heart..."
"Lifting up my heart,"
"If you can calm the raging sea...
You can calm the storm in me,

You're never too far away,
You never show up too late...
So here I am, lifting up my heart,
To the one who holds the stars…

You're the one who holds the stars,” he sang quietly, his voice low, but it carried clearly for quite a distance. He was very impressed that the unicorn mare joined in when needed.

He was a bit startled by the sudden applause from the crowd, which had easily tripled in size, though it hadn't really escaped his notice that quite a few more of the golden coins were in the violin case nearby than had been before.

“I'm Octavia, and this is Lyra,” the gray mare said, introducing herself and the unicorn mare.

“Thomas Oliver,” he replied. He exhaled softly as Octavia bent down, scooping several dozen of the gold coins into a pouch before holding it out to him. He was a bit confused, but took the pouch. “Where most magicians may pop something up their sleeve, I’m going to prove that I don’t,” he deadpanned, making the crowd more curious as evidenced by Lyra Heartstrings’ broad grin and curious stare as he rolled up his sleeves to his elbows, tightening the strings so they were out of the way and it was impossible for him to slip anything up them without it being seen.

“What are you going to do?” Lyra said curiously.
“Make it disappear… like this,” Thomas quipped, holding the softball sized satchel in one hand before he closed his other hand over it, hiding it from view before he spread his hands, the satchel vanishing into thin air when he’d sent it into his subspace pocket. He heard gasps of awe and surprise as he smirked, picking up his guitar and pushing the neck of the instrument into his pocket, where it sank in like the pocket was far larger than it actually was before the instrument completely slid in. He wasn’t that surprised as Minuette darted to him, sliding her hand into his pocket so it was slightly above her wrist before she pulled it out with a confused look as he grinned.

“Huh?” she said, greatly confused.

Author's Note:

KukriRyu here -- didn't see this coming, did ya? Honestly, neither did I. It just took a life of it's own, though for me, that's not that surprising, lol. So, a possible friendship with Octavia and Lyra Heartstrings. Yes, I'm sure people will notice that Lyra seems more laid back and not so 'human obsessed' which I intend to keep her that way. Honestly, in canon, her obsession with humanity was disconcerting for me.

I have a feeling Twilight will appear in the next chapter, which will... pop up whenever.... it arrives. He still has the case, contained within his subspace pocket, but still is unaware how his 'collection' has decreased.
Here's the vocal colors in question so far.

  • Princess Celestia – #E8AC41 Speech
  • Rose Quartz Pie— #F64A8A Speech
  • Thomas Oliver — #3f00ff Speech
  • Byakōshinken - #EFDFBB Speech
  • Lyra Heartstrings - #98FB98 Speech

You will notice that I said he took the case but he has not opened it yet.
The Coins he possesses currently are as follows -

  1. Zyuranger Red - Tyranno/Mighty Morphin Red
  2. Dairanger Red - Ryuuranger
  3. Dairanger Green - Shishiranger
  4. Zyuranger Green - Dragonranger/Mighty Morphin Green
  5. Dairanger White - Kibaranger/Mighty Morphin White
  6. Kurākami Zen - Zen-Aku