• Published 5th Dec 2011
  • 4,242 Views, 53 Comments

Live for the Future - FoxeyHound



Twilight gives a homeless, penitent Trixie a 2nd chance, and soon grows feelings for the magician.

  • ...
10
 53
 4,242

Chapter I

She galloped as fast as her little filly legs could carry her, saddlebags filled with the bare necessities of survival bouncing around precariously on her back. The frigid winter wind was howling, blowing snow in the opposite direction she was sprinting in. It stung her eyes as well as the cuts and bruises on her face and body; but it did not bother nor slow her down. Her body was starting to feel numb, but she payed no attention to it. She had lost track of the time; she did not have the slightest idea of where she was; but she did not care. All that was on her mind in that moment was running as far and as long as she possibly could.

If she knew how, she would cast a teleportation spell to Los Dressagelas, the "City of Angels" that was at the other end of Equestria, far away from Manehattan. Not only was it the farthest place from her hometown that she could think of, it was where Hollyhoof was, the majestic town where some of the biggest pony celebrities called home.

Home...

Her speed increased a little bit as she continued drifting through her thoughts. The little filly dreamed endlessly of someday making it big, of someday becoming a household name, of someday having thousands—millions of fan ponies love her.

Love...

The little filly pushed herself to run even faster and closed her eyes as a new wave of tears started streaming out of them, partially due to the wind, but mostly because of her anguish and despair. In her opinion, she had no reason of living anymore. She felt worthless and insignificant, useless and pathetic, hopeless and miserable.

Suddenly, the pony's left forehoof nicked something. She felt a stinging pain followed by the sensation of becoming airborne, only to be quickly coupled by a rough collision with the earth. She tumbled and rolled and slid on her underbelly a few feet, and finally came to a halt.

Spitting out grass and snow that got in her mouth, the poor creature wailed a desperate sob to the world, but got no response other than a gust of wind flinging snow chaotically about. Eyes clenched, she just laid there sobbing for what seemed like eons to her.

Wiping her face with her hoof, the girl's water works began to settle down. It was then that by a stroke of serendipity she realized she had landed right by an indent in the large rock next to her. It wasn't exactly a cave, but it did extend far in, and had a roof like arch above it.

Seeing the rock alcove and shelter, she furiously scrambled toward it. Although it wasn't any warmer than the conditions out in the open, she was grateful that she would at least be dry now. So she took off her saddlebags and sat down, pulling out a quilt given by her grandmother before she passed away, wrapping herself in it.

Her mind began to slow down as she rested; unfortunately, this allowed memories of what happened at home to resurface. She suddenly began to feel the stinging pain of her cuts and bruises that covered her in various spots. Most of them were on her torso, tummy, and sides; father always seemed to favor kicking her more than anything. Not to say that's all he did; her scars and cuts matted with dry blood were evidence of that. She was able to smell the strong stench of alcohol and cigarettes on his breath as he shouted in her face, an occurrence that was as regular and routine as eating dinner every night. Well, every night is not exactly true. Supper was somewhat of a luxury to her, having been deprived of it for as long as four or five consecutive nights frequently.

All this physical abuse took its toll on the poor pony, yet the emotional and mental damage pained her more. Never once had she heard a compliment from father, advice for situation she had faced, or any words of affection and love. It was always hateful remarks as to how much he despised her. There were moments where she wouldn't even get any sort of salutation or acknowledgment out of him.

But what got her upset the most was that her mother—the mare she looked up to her whole life and loved more than anypony else—did absolutely nothing except stand and watch from the sidelines. There was the occasional plea for him stop. Of course, whenever she spoke against him, father would assault her as well. As a result, mother more often than not just bit her tongue.

The young filly's eyelids became heavy as she slouched against the stone wall, fantasizing about Hollyhoof once again, seeking refuge in her dreams.

It was then, as she drifted off to sleep, that she would decide to go on a quest to reach her new vocation; reaching fame. Someday ponies across Equestria would know and adore her, and they would love her unconditionally. They would idolize her and never forget her name:

Trixie...

~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~

Twilight Sparkle loved her personal mentor with her whole heart, and not because of the fact that she was also princess of Equestria. With that said, the pupil always made it a priority to pencil in at least a few days each month to go back to her hometown—the royal capitol of Equestria, Canterlot—and pay her role-model a visit. She felt a bit uneasy since she did not have any findings about friendship to report. Even though the whole incident with her getting bent out of shape about being tardy with her reports was a couple months ago, the mare still felt the need to bring in a report every week.

So the lavender pony paced around in her bedroom hectically, triple checking her bags to make sure she had everything she would need for the overnight stay in Canterlot. Being the perfectionist that she is, she wanted to be absolutely ready when the taxi she sent for arrived at the library.

"I'm pretty sure you have everything, Twilight," spoke the baby dragon Spike as he strolled out of the bathroom. "Just sayin'."

"I know, I just want to be absolutely sure."

The pony felt positively sure that everything she needed was packed, until it hit her that everything she wanted was not.

"Spike! Grab me the copy of 'Introduction to Psychoanalysis'!" demanded the mare intensely.

A scurrying of little feet was heard going down the stairs as Twilight mentally chastised herself for nearly leaving the book behind. Twilight had the habit of researching different subjects in phases. Recently, she had learned about an old Equestrian doctor named Sigmund Zebroid, a neurologist who proposed theories on the unconscious mind and developed the method of psychoanalysis. This piqued the studious mare's curiosity, and—as always when she finds something new to learn—the psychological studies engulfed her immediately. She began to delve into Zebroid's other works, finding them to be rather fascinating (although his essays on sexuality was often something that she found quite difficult to go through without making her blush and sweat with licentiousness).

"Here ya go, Twi'!"

Twilight flinched slightly at being knocked out of her thoughts, realizing that it was just her assistant with the book she asked him to get, which she thanked him for as she levitated it into her pack. A knock on the door caught her attention; it was time to leave! Putting on her saddlebags and wrapping a scarf around her neck with haste, she gave one last bit of instructions.

"Now you and Owlowiscious don't get into any trouble while I'm gone, okay? Speaking of which, where is Owlowiscious?"

Almost as if on cue, said bird flew up from the lower level of the library. He gave a hoot of understanding, while Spike nodded in agreement, giving a childish military salute as well. Twilight smiled in acknowledgment and trotted down the flight of stairs to open the door. There, an alabaster unicorn stallion with a snow white tail and mane in a fancy suit, stood parallel to the tree library with closed eyes and a blank expression.

"Your taxi, Miss Sparkle." he stated quite apathetically.

"Thank you, kind sir," Twilight replied, stepping into the crisp, cool January air outside. For some reason, the sky caught her attention briefly as she strolled to her ride. The pegasus ponies had blanketed it with gray overcast clouds that did not look promising of good weather anytime soon. The kept the pony in a trance, until something came into view, snapping her out of the daze. It was the roof of the taxi, which she noticed she was already getting into. A slamming noise startled her as the sophisticated looking stallion closed the door. So she sat down in the empty seat, preparing herself for the worst part about any trip to Canterlot—the actual trip itself. From ponyville, it's about a three to four hour commute. So Twilight began the ritual of taking out her pillow and blanket, setting up her nap space in the cab, and getting herself comfortable; well, not until she gave one last reminder to her assistants.

The mare stuck her head out the window. "Remember, no troublemaking, got that?!"

"I know, I know! Sheesh." Spike responded in annoyance. "Buh-bye now!"

"Hoo!" Owlowiscious chimed in. With that, Twilight sat back down in her seat as the taxi departed. With droopy eyelids and dim lighting from the gloomy weather outside, she found it useless to read along the way. Instead, the mare pulled out her mlp3 player along with her headphones, and shuffled through her playlists, muttering to herself the names.

"Classical...Modern...Hip-Hop...Jazz...Ahh, punk!"

With a magical press of the play button, Twilight slumped back into her temporary bed as Cinch-182—a childhood favorite of hers—started to play. Sweet memories of her filly days came along with it, as she unconsciously smiled to herself, remembering how Enema of the State was both the first record she bought and where she heard her first swear words. She can still recall the anger her parents had, which made her smile even more.

For some reason, before she drifted off into sleep, the memory of Rainbow Dash's sonic rainboom that helped earn her cutie mark ran through her head.

~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~ ~//~

Trixie! Trixie! Trixie!

The audience chanted the magician's name, hoping that doing so the performance would begin sooner. Trixie always loved the feeling of hearing her name being chanted like that. It was an exhilarating kind of euphoria that made her feel invincible. She could see the stage lighted by the boring house lights from where she was. Pretty soon they would bathe in colorful lights as she would bask in the glory of it all.

Whenever asked she told everypony that she never got nervous for any performance; yet, although mostly true, there were always those few moments right before it was show time where the pit of her stomach would hollow out and she would break into a cold sweat. These sensations usually caused her to start second guessing herself, as well as mentally make hurtful, self-depricating comments. And they were never in her own voice; instead, they were the rough voice of her father.

"Are you applebuckin' serious?! You want to become famous?! Nopony as worthless and useless as yourself would ever amount to anything in life, let alone become popular."

The house lights went off, and an uproar of applause followed immediately afterward. There was no time to dwell on the past now; she had an audience to entertain. And as always, she was going to make sure that she gave them their bits worth.

Activating her vocal enhancer spell, she took in a quiet breath and announced:

"COME ONE, COME ALL! Watch in awe as The GREAT and POWERFUL TRIXIE—the most magical unicorn in ALL of Equestria—performs some of the most spectacular feats of magic ever witnessed by pony eyes!"

The sky blue unicorn teleported onto the stage, and with a puff of purple and blue smoke, she stood on her hind legs, forehooves raised high in the air. With her eyes shut, she beamed a glorious smile of pride and confidence, soaking in the audience's applause as well as the occasional "oohs" and "aahs". This is where she belonged, up on stage in the limelight; it was her therapeutic escape from the stress and drama of the real world. Once she got up there, she never wanted to go back.

Unfortunately for Trixie, she was not able to cast her firework displays; many ponies had filed complaints about how obnoxious it was. This really got her upset, since they added extra flair and pizzazz to her introductions. But more importantly than that, without the bursting pops and crackles in her ears, sounds of the busy capital of Equestria was clear as a bell.

She was slipping away from her reverie. Opening her eyes, she saw her surroundings begin to change. Her stage platform morphed into an old milk carton; her magician's cloak and hat went back to being a long sheet of drawing paper and a paper bag respectively; the majestic theatre crumbled down and was replaced with a high concrete wall of a building; the exits to backstage turned into a dirty, narrow alley; and her audience began to dwindle down, little by little, going from thousands of adoring ponies to only a few hundred, to only a small group of twenty, and, finally, to just one single pony; the reflection of her scraggly, malnourished self in a broken mirror.

Trixie plopped her rear on to the carton dejectedly. Her vision became blurry with tears of sadness and fury as she trembled in anger and frustration. It simply was not fair, her woeful existence and the inertia of it all. Just as she thought like life was brightening up and changing for the better, Fate spits in her face and takes back all prospects of a happier future away. She felt as if her life was just a cruel, pestilent joke played by Him.

Why...? She asked herself mentally. Why...WHY...

"WHY!!??"

Whipping off her make-belief stage outfit, she got up and hurled the milk carton at the mirror with all her strength, shattering it into a dozen more pieces. With all the blind rage surging through her body, the rest of the following was hazy to her. Shouting explicative after explicative at the top of her lungs, she tipped the big dumpster that was nearby over. It landed with a loud crash that echoed through the alley, all the garbage spewing out. They were thrown with reckless abandon by the furious mare; silverware, furniture, knickknacks, books, clothes, records, and dozens of other random paraphernalia soared through the air briefly before crashing down onto the pavement. By the time her riot was over—approximately ten minutes later—the alleyway looked like the aftermath of a small twister. And she hadn't stop on her own freewill; somepony in the vicinity had notified the police about her blowout. A warning and instructions to leave the area at once were given to her, which she complied to.

Although still upset, her episode had drained a lot of her energy. So she quietly moped, crying to herself as she ambled down the avenue. Her head hung low, looking down at the sidewalk; but she was still able to feel the eyes of those who had saw what happened, appalled at such uncivilized behavior, stab her and cut through her flesh. Some were looks of confusion, others were of pity; but most were of spite and disgust.

One can only tolerate so much silent, slanderous scrutiny before the shame and embarrassment becomes too overwhelming. She picked up the pace into a canter and then a gallop, putting distance between her and the witnesses. Finally, she teleported as she was galloping for extra measure, reappearing a couple city blocks down the avenue at an intersection, her apprehension slowly disappearing at the same time.

The climate was beginning to affect Trixie. Her body was stiff, and she had fervent hunger and intense thirst. She had not had a bite of anything to eat since the morning the day before. Discomfort in her hooves from stomping around in broken glass was now known as well. Thankfully she had teleported right by the facade of a large Four Seasons hotel. Usually, she did not even think about entering a place as refined as a Four Seasons hotel; but virtually all of Canterlot was like that. Which is why ever since she got there four days ago she resided in the alleyway, until now. However, with her body numb, throat dry, and stomach aching at the moment, she didn't care if she stuck out like a sore hoof.

The mare made a beeline for the edifice, ignoring the awful pain in her hooves, and entered the lobby, ignoring the looks from others. The warmth that bathed her as she walked in felt so glorious that her knees nearly buckled. Her nostrils took in the clean air filled with the aroma of a restaurant and she became light-headed, wobbling dizzily momentarily. The lobby had a high ceiling and an enormous commons area, filled with couches, lounge chairs, and tables. Going off on a tangent on the right were big marble steps that led to the elevators. On the opposite side of the massive room a window paned wall revealed a spectacular pool, though it was closed this time of year.

Trixie didn't know how long she was zoned out for, but she was snapped out of it when a bright yellow earth mare with a tail and mane of a darker yellow and emerald eyes walked up to her.

"Ma'am? Excuse me, ma'am?" she inquired, getting Trixie's attention at last. "Ma'am, this is a high-class establishment, and given your...unsanitary appearance and...offensive stench, we ask that you please leave the building. You are more than welcome to return once you've bathed and groomed yourself."

Trixie lightly lowered her head to her hoofpit and sniffed, vomiting in her mouth slightly. Dear Celestia, I smell rotten! This made her frown. No way was she going back outside in the cold, nor was she going to starve.

"Miss," the blue one started. "Please believe me when I say that I am sincerely sorry for my awful condition, but I have been living in an alleyway for the past four days and five nights due to me being homeless." She began to tear up. "Please, miss, I'm starving."

The employee, biting her lip nervously, was stuck between sticking with the rules and lending a helping hoof to the poor pony. With quick glances around her making no other workers were watching, the mare leaned in close and whispered. "Alright, I'll see if I can get you anything. In the meantime, you can wait in the commons. Just...Try to stay as hidden and far away from everypony else as possible. I shouldn't even be doing this, but..." she took in Trixie's thin body and ragged mane, tail, and coat. "...I just can't bring myself to kick you out into the cold, not the way you are..."

"Oh, miss!" Trixie squeaked in relief, falling to her knees "Thank you ever so much, I can't express how grateful and happy I am."

"You're very welcome, ma'am." She responded, lifting the blue mare onto her hooves again. "Just do what I told you. Over there—" she pointed a hoof to a couch in the back corner of the room that was shrouded by a shadow. "—lay low, okay."

Trixie heavily nodded, and began to trot over to where she had been directed to go, filled happiness.