• Published 10th Sep 2017
  • 546 Views, 7 Comments

Raven Hollow 2: The Riddles of Blackmoor - Magic Step



You are a private detective hired to solve a trail of riddles and puzzles created by an eccentric family's tradition. But a past case continues to haunt you and the family has a dark secret of its own. There's more danger here than you bargained for.

  • ...
 7
 546

Hidden Dangers

Well, the easy ones are Virgo at 12, which puts Aquarius at 11. The autumnal signs are Libra, Scorpio, and Sagittarius; Libra has to be sitting on an even multiple of 3, which puts her at 6 since 12 is taken by Virgo. What comes next though….?

You study the clues, but nothing is coming to mind. You have no idea what to do you’ll never solve this puzzle you’ll never know the answer you’re going to die you’re going to die you’re going to die...

You don’t remember how you got on the floor, but you jerk yourself upright again. No. This isn’t Raven Hollow. You’re not going to die if you don’t answer this puzzle fast. You’re not here because you have to be; you’re here because you chose to be. So nopony else would have to suffer at the hooves of the Court.

You feel like there’s stars swimming in your head every second you don’t work on the puzzle, though. Partly to ease the pain, you sit down to make a list. You know that there’s a limited number of even numbers and that Libra, Pisces, and Gemini claimed 3 of them. Virgo claimed another. Cancer must be on one too since he’s sitting next to the 3 or the 9. And for that matter, either Aries or Capricorn must be on an even number also. That’s all 6 even numbers claimed. So the rest of the star signs, including Leo and Taurus, must be on odd numbers, and those two are sitting across from each other.

That’s it. That’s the clue you needed. Now you can finish this.

There’s only two odd numbers left across from each other, since 3 and 9 are taken: 1 and 7. And Leo can’t be on 1 because then he’d be next to Virgo, whom he’s next to on the calendar, so Leo is on 7 and Taurus at 1.

Now you only have two unclaimed seats next to each other that Aries and Capricorn can take, so Capricorn must be on 5, and Aries to his right on 4.

Now you look at the 3 and 9 again. If 9 is Scorpio, then Cancer would be sitting on his right, which would put Cancer next to Leo. But those two follow each other in the calendar, so that can’t be right. This means Scorpio is at 3 and Cancer at 2. This leaves Sagittarius as the last autumnal sign and 9 as the last multiple of 3, so that’s where he sits.

Now you only have two signs left to solve, Pisces and Gemini, and only two numbers left, 8 and 10. Pisces can’t sit next to Aquarius because they’re next to each other on the calendar; so Pisces must be at 8. And the last zodiac sign, Gemini, sits on 10.

You click the final tiles into place, making the final lineup:

Taurus
Cancer
Scorpio
Ares
Capricorn
Libra
Leo
Pisces
Sagittarius
Gemini
Aquarius
Virgo

As you slide the last tile into place, the clock chimes melodically and the door on top of the ladder swings open with a dramatic creak. You hurry back up the ladder and feel the cool breeze blow through your mane. The door leads to the small balcony you saw halfway up the tower. It’s a small ledge with just enough room to stand on. On the wall around the balcony is a small telescope about the same size as the indent in the chest from Geological Study’s puzzle. A cheap brass stand holds the telescope in place; it can’t swivel or tilt at all, so it must be in the same position as it was when Swordplay Study placed it in.

You put your eye to the telescope and see that it’s pointed at the forest. It’s getting late and it’s hard to see clearly, but next to an odd pink tree you see a hedge arch with a stone sign on it reading “Mathematical Memorial Garden.”

Mathematical—that was the first Study, the one whose puzzle was the last to solve. That must be the garden Plant Study created when she turned her father’s eccentricity into a family tradition. The last stop in the path of puzzles.

Quickly, you pull a compass from your trenchcoat pocket and take headings. The strange pink tree next to the garden is northeast of the tower. You realize your hooves are shaking and aren’t sure from what. Excitement that you’re almost done? Or fear of running into the Court, or the Blackmoor Beast, or both?

You slide down the observatory ladder one final time, giving a brief, sad glance to the dead Court member, all too aware that could have been you if not for the posthumous help of Idea Spark. Why did you take it for granted that the Court would stop hurting ponies the instant their leader died? Why did you waste so much time trying to pretend the trip to Raven Hollow never happened when you could have been saving more victims?

“I’m sorry,” you tell the stiff corpse. “You shouldn’t have died. I won’t let this happen again…” What a vain promise. “...if I can help it.”

With that, you head outside to where Faithful Fellow is hugging Fabric Study and stroking her mane comfortingly.

“How was the puzzle?” Faithful Fellow asks.

“Solved,” you mutter. “Come on. One last trip.”

“Where are we going?” Faithful helps Fabric Study to her hooves.

“Into the forest, to Plant Study’s garden,” you say. “Sorry, Fabric, but this is a spoiler.”

Fabric Study’s eyes seem glassy and she doesn’t acknowledge your words.

“Hey, Fabby, it’ll be fine,” Faithful Fellow tells her. “We’re going to find your brother and we can all go home.”

She nods numbly. As you head into the forest, following your compass, the young couple brings up the rear.

The pine forest is even darker now that night is coming. You dodge around spiny branches, doing your best to keep a straight heading, your ears alert every moment for the sound of bears or something far more unearthly.

“Getting harder to see….” you mutter to your compass.

There’s a flash of white light behind you; you jump and whirl around to find a golf ball sized orb hovering behind you and glowing with the intensity of a flashlight.

“What are you?!” you shout, staring at the ball.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, it’s just a light spell I know…” Fabric whimpers. “I thought it would help you…”

“...oh…” You feel your face grow hot. “Is it sentient?”

“It’ll point where your eyes do, but no,” Fabric Study says.

“Okay then.” Trying to calm yourself back down, you keep walking, all to aware that your screaming may have attracted somepony or something.

But all is silence for the next several minutes. You come to a hill with a stream running at the bottom. You look up and restrain your urge to shout excitedly. The top of the hill is covered is strange pink leaves, and you can just make out the hedge arch.

The stream is pretty wide, but you manage to clear it in one leap. Circling around at a distance seems like a good plan; best to check for any…

Your nose hits an invisible barrier.

“Thank you for walking into my ambush, you scoundrel,” Swordplay Study says.

You turn around to find that the blueish purple unicorn has snuck up behind you; over his shoulder you can see Fabric Study, her eyes wide and her mouth moving, but you can’t hear her through Swordplay’s infernal silencing shield.. She’s splashing slowly and delicately across the stream, trying to save you while still keeping her dress dry.

“Turn around—” you try to say, but his practice sword smacks into the side of your head, managing to hit the exact sore spot from your last fight. You grit your teeth in pain.

“I actually didn’t believe Hawkdive when he said you were dumb enough to follow us,” Swordplay Study said. “Tell me, how is it you solve so many puzzles and yet are still so incredibly stupid?”

“I’m not the one who helped an obviously evil pony capture the same innocent guy twice in a row and is currently not noticing his sis—”

Swordplay whacks you in the head another time.

“Ow! Your sister is right behind you and she can explain!” you shout as fast as you can. Should have led with that; you might have been spared a smack.

“I’m not falling for that,” Swordplay Study said as Fabric banged on his shield spell behind him.

You try to gesture to Fabric to walk along the edge of the shield into Swordplay’s field of view, but when you try she suddenly whirls around, ears pricked, staring at the forest.

“Look at me when I’m talking to you,” Swordplay says, telekinetically holding your head in place.

“Why are you doing this?” you say. “Your sister still looks up to you—”

“And well she should!” Swordplay says. “You mean to tell me you haven’t figured out what this is for?”

“You want money to help Fabric Study follow her dreams, financially independant of her parents,” you say.

Swordplay’s suddenly blank expression makes it clear he underestimated your intelligence.

“I meant why are you working with scoundrels and doing things that your sister doesn’t want you to do?” you continue. “This can’t possibly be the only way you and Fabric have to make money. Why sell your precious family heirloom?”

“Why not sell it?” Swordplay says. “Precious? What a joke. It’s a dumb rock that does absolutely nothing. It’s only valuable because of tradition.” He spits the word out like it’s disgusting, but you suddenly find yourself distracted.

Behind Swordplay, like a silent horror film, a strange, ghostly white form fills the dark spaces between the trees, slowly emerging, a strange quadrupedal creature made of a gluey substance stretched too thin near the joints, sometimes a see-through membrane, sometimes full of holes, revealing bones stained dark red. Its huge, muscular forehooves…. forepaws?... had six huge silver claws each, serrated and looking mechanical instead of organic. It had holes with glowing yellow light where its eyes should be and a gaping, toothless hole where its mouth would be. The top of its head and the back of its neck were covered with dark matted hair. It tossed its head back in a silent howl.

“Turn the hay around!” you order Swordplay Study.

Swordplay Study’s horn flares, and you feel like someone stuffed a rock in your throat. You fall to the ground, choking and coughing.

“I already told you I’m not falling for that trick,” Swordplay Study says. “This family tradition has gone on long enough. Now our family is forced to keep a dangerous children’s park open, own a home of Geological Study’s childhood friend, and now Fabric and I will be forced to sustain a displaced flock of tropical birds because of this stupid, stupid, stupid tradition!”

Through your blurring vision, you see Fabric banging desperately on the shield, and then silvery blades descending onto her head.

Somehow, someway, despite feeling near unconsciousness, you launch yourself upward, slamming your head into your dense opponent’s shoulder and forcing him to turn to the side from the force.

“Oh my Celestia!” Swordplay Study shouts.

You don’t get to see the expression on his face because you hit the ground again with a head-jarring thud. The pressure on your throat ends though.

A wild cry echoes through the air, a piercing wail that certainly is unique. You pull yourself to your hooves and whirl around to see Swordplay Study blocking the Blackmoor Beast’s descending claws with his two real swords. Swirling red energy collects around him in a maelstrom, finally hitting the monster with explosive force and sending the grotesque creature flying over the trees.

Refusing to be impressed, you run over to where Fabric Study lies, a pool of dark blood by her side, two wounds in her head near her horn. You kneel by her and check her vitals, sighing in relief as you feel a pulse beneath your hoof. As nasty as the wounds look, considering what the beast did to that poor Court member, she’s very lucky.

“Fabric!” Faithful Fellow runs up.

“Where the hay were you?” you say.

“I told her to run! I thought she was behind me! Oh Celestia…” Faithful Fellow kneels by her side. “Oh my gosh… oh my gosh… I’m so sorry Fabby…”

“Is she…?” Swordplay asks.

“Do you know any healing spells?” you ask him.

“I-I-I-”

“Answer!” you shout.

“I-I can stabilize her but first aid is… is…” Swordplay is shivering. He falls by her side. “I’m such an idiot…” he says, tearing up.

You don’t correct him. “Then do it. We’ll run back to town—”

“You’ll never make it,” Swordplay says. “You’re hours away. Just fetch Hawkdive and-”

“NO.” you say.

Swordplay doesn’t argue with you, just stares at Fabric, his eyes narrowed in concentration as his sister is surrounded by a red aura.

“Th-the… the garden…” Faithful Fellow says, his eyes widening.

“Huh?” you say.

“My mom told me the Evergrannets are almost in season,” Faithful Fellow says, inhaling sharply. “Wound-curing fruits. They only grew in the frozen north except under Plant Study’s magical care. But once you pick them their magic only lasts an hour.”

“That’s enough time,” you say. “You come with me to the garden. Stay careful and quiet.” You turn to Swordplay Study. “There’s not another ambush in the garden, is there? And remember, if you lie to me, your sister dies because of you.”

Swordplay swallows. “Th-they were all going to the crypt. I was the only one on guard.”

“Good. We’ll hurry.”

You and Faithful Fellow creep up the hill as fast as you dare. By the side of the garden is sign and you study it carefully.

“To find the water garden, follow anticipation until you reach slighted love…?” Faithful Fellow says, reading the first direction aloud in a whisper.

“Ignore that,” you say. “We’re only worried about two locations.” Scanning the list, you find the important passages.

“For healing plants, let magic lead you to wealth and success, then follow them to fame. And if you seek my father’s grave, let a happy marriage take you to domestic happiness, but then beware, for a deadly foe is near.”

The prophetic nature of the last clue makes you shudder. “All right, Faithful, how good are you at plant identification?”

“Decent. My mom’s a gardener after all. But none of these are flower names.”

“That’s fine; I didn’t expect them to be. This is how you’ll find your way…”

Author's Note:

Yeah, this puzzle is super easy, but last week's was super hard and Mathematical Study's puzzle will also be very hard, so I wanted to give you (and me) a break.

You'll probably want this.