• Published 5th Dec 2011
  • 7,612 Views, 9 Comments

PONY WARS - Azure_Keys

  • ...
4
 9
 7,612

PONY WARS

PONY WARS

A long time ago, in a gala far, far, away...

It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the Death Star, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Rarity races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy...


A vast sea of stars surrounded the magnificent expanse of space around the tiny, yellow planet of Tatooine, its twin moons glowing against the darkness. A tiny spacecraft, a Rebel Blockade Runner, raced through space, firing lasers at the massive Imperial Star Destroyer pursuing it. The bolts glanced off of the Star Destroyer's powerful shields, leaving not even a scratch on its gargantuan hull. The Star Destroyer fired laser bolts of its own toward its quarry, rocking the rebel ship, which seemed tiny compared to the Imperial monster. Inside the rebel ship, a pair of droids struggled to make their way through the trembling hallways. One of the droids, a golden-plated Protocol droid named Applejack, nearly collapsed as the ship was struck by a bright green bolt of laser fire. She struggled to regain her footing as she called out to her companion, a tiny pink Astromech Droid named R2-P314, codename “Pinkie-Pie”.

“D'ja hear that?!” Applejack shouted over the noise. Her southern drawl was marked by a slight, though distinct metallic sound. “They've shut down the main reactor! We'll be destroyed for sure!” Little Pinkie-Pie continued rolling across the hallway on the tiny wheels extending from her metal hooves, undeterred by the larger droid's words. Applejack nervously began to pace after the pink droid, muttering to herself, “This is madness.” Suddenly, the pair was overtaken by a squad of rebel soldiers rushing down the hallway towards the large door at its end. Applejack stopped and waited behind the tense soldiers eying the door. The nervous troops aimed their weapons, beads of sweat rolling down their helmeted faces. Suddenly, a huge explosion rocked the ship. Smoke poured from the door. Applejack fumbled around, trying to re-orient herself, when she began to hear laser fire. Imperial stormtroopers poured from the destroyed door into the crowded passage. The rebel troops began to open fire on the stormtroopers, though the white-armored soldiers continued their advance down the passage. Rebel troops cried out in pain as they were struck down by bolts from the stormtroopers' blasters. Amidst all of the confusion, Applejack turned and hurriedly followed down the hallway after Pinkie. “There'll be no escape for the princess this time,” she thought as she ran for her life.


A death-white wasteland stretched endlessly from horizon to horizon across the dull Tatooine landscape. The planet's twin suns, low in the sky, illuminated a lone figure standing in the sand. Twilight Sparkle was a young farm girl of around eighteen years. Her long purple mane was streaked with pink and lavender, and was flecked with grains of sand. Her deep purple coat, though stained with dirt, shone brilliantly in the evening light. Her dull brown robe whipped around her as she worked on a large, battered moisture vaporator sticking out of the desert floor. A tiny, beat up robot helped her as she adjusted the valves. Suddenly, a spark caught Twilight's eye. She reached into her robe and pulled out her electrobinoculars, putting them to her eyes and adjusting the knobs as she gazed into the evening sky. She stood, transfixed for a while, then bolted toward her rugged landspeeder. She motioned for the little robot to follow her. The tiny machine began to sputter and jerk, then collapsed, spewing smoke into the air. Twilight groaned, then raced off on her speeder, leaving the trashed robot behind.


The passageway of the rebel ship had been cleared of soldiers, as the stormtroopers moved about to clear a path through the rubble. Out of the door, a foreboding presence stepped into the hallway. The awesome, tall Dark Lord of the Sith made her way through the troopers. Nightmare Moon was a dreadful sight to behold. She stood high above the heads of the stormtroopers, her flowing black robes trailing behind her. She was covered from head to hoof in gleaming black armor, which stood out drastically against the uniform white of the stormtroopers. Her head was covered with a horned, black helmet, obscuring her face. From the rear of the helmet, a stream of glowing, blue energy flowed down her back like a ghostly mane. Her awesome wings lay folded beneath her robes. A deathly quiet fell over the troops as the Dark Lord entered the passage.

Meanwhile, in a darkened room aboard the ship, a snow-white hoof placed a small data card into a slot in Pinkie-Pie's front panel. As the screams of rebel soldiers permeated the air, Applejack blindly navigated the dark room.

“Pinkie! Pinkie-Pie, where are you?” she called. A familiar beeping sound caught Applejack's attention, and she turned to find Pinkie standing in a dark corner of the room next to a beautiful young mare. She was almost surreal, standing half-hidden in the smoke. Her head was covered by a hood, but Applejack could see a lock of neatly curled purple hair fall across her dreamlike face. Little Pinkie made her way across the room toward Applejack. “At last! Where've you been?” Applejack demanded, but the little droid simply scooted past her and out into a hallway. “Wait a minute, where are you goin'?” Pinkie beeped a reply as Applejack followed.

The evil Nightmare Moon stood amid the twisted and broken bodies of her foes. She grabbed a wounded rebel officer by the throat and lifted him up off of the ground. An Imperial officer approached the Dark Lord.

“The Death Star plans are not in the main computer,” the officer reported. Moon began to squeeze the neck of the rebel, who struggled in vain.

“Where are those transmissions you intercepted?” The rebel remained silent as he struggled. “What have you done with those plans?” The rebel officer gasped as he choked out a few sentences.

“We received no transmissions. Aaah... This is a consular ship. We're on a diplomatic mission.”

“If this is a consular ship, where is the ambassador?” Moon asked the struggling officer. The rebel refused to speak, and began to cry out as the Dark Lord crushed his throat. A gruesome snapping and gurgling echoed across the hall as Moon tightened her grip. She tossed the dead soldier against the wall and turned to her troops. “Commander, tear this ship apart until you've found those plans. And bring me the ambassador. I want her alive!”

The lovely, young girl huddled in a small alcove as the stormtroopers searched through the ship. Princess Rarity Organa was a striking young mare who was a high ranking member of the Alderaan Senate, despite her young age. Her beautiful purple mane was hidden beneath her robes as she hid from the troops. The fear in her eyes began to give way to anger as the sounds of stormtroopers grew louder. One of the troopers spotted her, stunning her with his blaster before she could escape. The trooper lifted her from the floor and turned to the others.

“She'll be alright,” he said. “Inform Lord Moon we have a prisoner.”

Pinkie hurried down the empty hall and stopped before the small hatch of an emergency lifepod. She snapped the seal on the latch and began to work her way into the tiny pod.

“Hey, you're not allowed in there,” Applejack called from behind. “That's restricted. You'll be deactivated fer sure.” Pinkie beeped something to her. “Secret mission? What plans? What're you talkin' about? I'm not gettin' in there.” A nearby explosion changed Applejack's mind, and as she wedged herself into the pod, she muttered to herself, “I'm gonna regret this...”.


Heat waves radiated from the dozen or so bleached white buildings. Twilight piloted her landspeeder through the tiny settlement, nearly running down an old mare, who shook her hoof at the reckless young girl. Twilight burst into a power station, where several young ponies were goofing around. As Twilight entered the room, her gaze fixed on a red stallion who was significantly larger than the others. His short brown mane tousled as he turned to see the newcomer. His face lit up when he saw the young mare.

“Twilight?” he asked. Twilight ran forward and wrapped her arms around the handsome stallion's neck.

“Macintosh!” she squealed as she hugged him. “I didn't know you were back! When did you get in?”

“Just now,” Macintosh replied. “I wanted to surprise you, hot shot. I thought you'd be here. Certainly didn't expect you to be out working.” The two laughed.

“The academy didn't change you much,” Twilight said. “But you're back so soon? Hey, what happened? Didn't you get your commission?”

“'Course I got it,” Macintosh replied with an air of cool that seemed slightly phoney. “Signed aboard the Rand Ecliptic last week. First Mate Big Macintosh at your service.” He saluted to nopony in particular. “I just came to say goodbye to all you unfortunate landlocked simpletons.” Everyone laughed. The dazzling spectacle of her dashing friend was almost too much for Twilight, but she suddenly snapped out of it.

“I almost forgot!” she blurted. “There's a battle going on! Right here in our system! Come and look!” The group stumbled out into the shifting desert sun. Twilight pulled out her binoculars and began scanning the heavens. “There they are!” Macintosh took the binoculars from Twilight as the others strained to see something with their naked eyes. Through the binoculars, Macintosh saw two silver specks.

“That's no battle, hot shot,” he said as he handed the binoculars back. “They're just sitting there. Probably a freighter tank refueling.”

“But there was a lot of firing earlier,” Twilight retorted. The group grumbled as they made their way back into the power station.


Princess Rarity was led down a low-ceilinged hallway by a squad of armored stormtroopers. Her front hooves had been bound and she was brutally shoved when she was unable to keep up with the briskly marching troops. They stopped in a smoky hallway as Nightmare Moon emerged from the shadows. The sinister Dark Lord stared hard at the frail young senator, but she refused to move.

“Lord Moon,” Rarity began, “I should have known. Only you would be so bold. The Imperial Senate will not sit for this. When they hear you've attacked a diplomatic--” Moon quickly cut her off.

“Don't play games with me, your Highness. You weren't on any mercy mission this time. You passed directly through a restricted system. Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you.”

“I don't know what you're talking about,” Rarity retorted. “I'm a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan--”

“You're a part of the Rebel Alliance, and a traitor!” Moon cut her off again. “Take her away!” Rarity was marched down the hallway and into the smoldering hole in the side of the ship. An Imperial Commander turned to Moon.

“Holding her is dangerous,” the commander reported. “If word of this gets out, it could generate sympathy for the Rebellion in the senate.”

“I have traced the rebel spies to her,” Moon replied coldly. “Now, she is my only link to find their secret base.”

“She'll die before she tells you anything,” the commander replied.

“Leave that to me,” Moon shot back. “Send a distress signal and inform the senate that all aboard were killed.” Another officer approached Moon.

“Lord Moon, the battle station plans are not aboard this ship. No transmissions were made. An escape pod was jettisoned during the fighting, but no life forms were aboard,” he reported. Moon turned to the commander.

“She must have hidden the plans in the escape pod. Send a detachment down to retrieve them. See to it personally, Commander,” she ordered. The commander nodded his head. “There'll be nopony to stop us this time.”


Deep in the desert wastes of Tatooine, the two helpless droids kicked up clouds of sand as they worked their way out of the lifepod. Applejack's golden exterior was stained with dirt, and sand clogged up her joints. She began to mutter to herself.

“How'd I get into this mess? I really don't know how. We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.” Pinkie beeped up at her. Her pink chassis was dull and stained. “What a desolate place this is,” Applejack continued, starting to walk off. Suddenly, Pinkie made a sharp turn, starting off toward some rocky desert mesas. “Where are you goin'?” Applejack demanded. Pinkie simply spewed more beeping and continued on her way. “Well, I'm not goin' that way,” Applejack retorted. “It's much too rocky. This way's much easier.” Pinkie let out a whistle as she continued. “What mission?” Applejack demanded. “What're you talkin' about? I've had just about enough a you! Go that way! You'll be malfunctionin' within a day, you nearsighted scrap pile!” With that, Applejack gave Pinkie a kick and turned around, heading toward the expanse of desert. “And don't let me catch you followin' me beggin' for help, 'cause you won't get it!”

Applejack, hot and tired, struggled over a dune, only to find more and more dunes that seemed to go on for miles. She looked back over at the now distant rock mesas. “That malfunctionin' little twerp,” Applejack muttered to herself. “This is all her fault. She tricked me inta goin this way. But she'll do no better.” As she attempted to shake the sand from her joints, a flash of light in the distance caught her eye. “A transport? I'm saved!” Applejack began to jump and wave frantically, yelling towards the approaching vehicle.


In the power station at the little settlement, Twilight and her friends sat around a table. Twilight eagerly recounted her exciting tales to Macintosh.

“...so I cut off my power, shut down the afterburners and came in low on Deak's trail. I was so close I thought I was going to fry my instruments. As it was I busted up the Skyhopper pretty bad. Uncle Owen was pretty upset. He grounded me for the rest of the season. You should have been there...it was fantastic.” Macintosh seemed impressed, but with a look of worry.

“You aught to take it easy, Twi. You may be the hottest pilot this side of Mos Eisley, but those little Skyhoppers are dangerous. Keep it up, and one day you're gonna be nothing more than a dark spot on a canyon wall.” Twilight was slightly miffed.

“Look who's talking,” she shot back. “Now that you've been around those giant starships, you're beginning to sound like my uncle. You've gotten soft in the city.”

“I've missed you, girl,” Macintosh responded. He looked around, then leaned in close to Twilight. “Twi, I didn't just come to say goodbye,” Twilight was startled, and fought hard not to blush. “I shouldn't tell you this, but you're the only one I can trust... And if I don't come back, I wanted you to know.” Twilight's eyes grew wide.

“What are you talking about?” she stammered. The two began to make their way out of the power station and into the calm desert night.

“I made some friends at the academy,” Macintosh began to whisper. “When our frigate goes to one of the central systems, we're going to jump ship and join the alliance.” Twilight was stunned, almost speechless.

“Join the rebellion?! Are you kidding! How?” she asked in disbelief.

“I know it's a long shot, but if I don't find them I'll do what I can on my own... It's what we always talked about, Twi. I'm not going to wait for the Empire to draft me into service. The Rebellion is spreading and I want to be on the right side - the side I believe in. ”

“And I'm stuck here,” Twilight grumbled.

“I thought you were going to the academy next term. You'll get your chance to get off this rock.”

“Not Likely!” Twilight shot back. “I had to cancel my application. There's been a lot of unrest among the Sandpeople since you left. My uncle needs me for just one more season. I can't leave him now.”

“I feel for you, Twi,” Macintosh replied. “You're going to have to learn what seems to be important or what really is important. What good is all your uncle's work if it's taken over by the Empire?...You know they're starting to nationalize commerce in the central systems...it won't be long before your uncle is merely a tenant, slaving for the greater glory of the Empire.” Twilight stared at the ground, taking in the words of her old friend. She sighed.

“I wish I was going,” she muttered. “Are you going to be around long?”

“No,” Macintosh replied. “I'm leaving in the morning.”

“Then I guess I won't see you,” Her eyes turned to the ground as she started to turn away. Suddenly, she was swept off of her feet as Macintosh scooped her up into his hooves. Twilight felt the heat rising to her face, but didn't try to fight it. He leaned in, and the two old friends shared a passionate kiss. Macintosh gently lowered her to the ground.

“So long, Twi,” he said as he turned away. Twilight watched Big Macintosh as he disappeared into the power station, then turned and walked slowly toward her landspeeder.


The gargantuan rock formations were shrouded in a strange, foreboding mist as the tiny Astromech droid made her way through the canyon. In the distance, a small pebble tumbled down the mountain as a hooded figure darted into the darkness. The unsuspecting droid waddled along the rugged path, when suddenly, out of nowhere, a powerful, magnetic ray shot out from behind the rocks, engulfing her in an eerie glow. Pinkie began shaking and beeping uncontrollably, her lights flashing on and off, until she collapsed on her side. Out of the rocks scurried three small, cloaked figures: Jawas. The tiny, half-reptile half-pony creatures holstered their odd weapons as they approached the dull pink droid. They began to hiss in their guttural language as they lifted Pinkie onto their shoulders and carried her off down the trail. They stopped as they reached a large, tank-like vehicle the size of a house. They welded a small, round disk onto Pinkie's side, then placed her into a tube, sucking her into the massive Sandcrawler.

Inside the wide, dark room, Pinkie began to regain consciousness. Her lights began to dimly flicker as she slowly stood on her stubby, wheeled hooves. She began to make her way through the mass of decaying droids, until she spotted a familiar sight.

“Pinkie-Pie? Pinkie! It's you! It's you!” Applejack shouted as she scrambled up to Pinkie, embracing her. The two droids sat together in the dark Sandcrawler as it bounced and jostled across the desert sand. Suddenly, the shaking stopped, creating a commotion among the droids. A dozen or so Jawas began to make their way into the room, grabbing various droids and herding them towards the door, where the morning light poured into the dark space. Applejack and Pinkie were led outside by the Jawas and made to stand in formation with a motley assortment of other droids. A small homestead was visible in the distance. Out of one of the small buildings, an old stallion approached the group. Owen Lars was a hefty, brown stallion in his fifties. His reddish eyes were sunken deeply into his dust-covered face. Owen made his way to the droids and began inspecting them, closely followed by another pony, his niece, Twilight Sparkle. A Jawa began sputtering a sales pitch to Owen, who was barely paying attention.

“No, not that one,” he muttered to himself. He moved along the line to Applejack. “You,” he addressed her. “You're programmed for etiquette and protocol?”

“Protocol? Why, it's my primary function, sir,” she declared proudly. “I'm well versed in all the customs--” Owen cut her off.

“I have no need for a protocol droid.” Applejack nervously stuttered a response.

“Of—of course you haven't, sir. Not in an environment like this, which is why I've also been programmed for over thirty secondary functions that--”

“What I really need is a droid that understands the binary language of moisture vaporators,” Owen cut her off again.

“Vaporators!” Applejack exclaimed. “Why sir, my first job was programmin' binary loadlifters. Very similar to your vaporators. You could say--”

“Do you speak Bocce?” Owen interrupted again.

` “Course I can, sir. It's like a second language ta me. I'm as fluent in Bocce--”

“All right, shut up,” Owen interjected. He turned to the Jawa and said, “I'll take this one. Twilight, take these two over to the garage, will you? I want you to have them both cleaned up before dinner.” He motioned toward Applejack and a bulky, red Astromech standing near her.

“But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters--” Twilight began. Her uncle quickly cut her off.

“You can waste time with your friends when your chores are done. Now come on, get to it!” Twilight groaned as she turned back to the small homestead. Applejack began to follow, but the red Astromech remained motionless.

“Come on, little red,” Twilight coaxed the droid. “Come on, let's go.” As the Jawas began to lead the other droids back into the Sandcrawler, a plate popped off of the red droid's head, which began to spark wildly. “Uncle Owen!” Twilight called. “This Astromech has a bad motivator. Look!” Owen turned to the Jawa.

“Hey, what are you trying to push on us?!” he shouted. The Jawa muttered some more in his guttural language as Applejack approached Owen and gently tapped his shoulder.

“Excuse me, sir,” she said, motioning towards Pinkie. “That Astromech is in prime condition. A real bargain.” Owen turned back toward the Jawa.

“What about that pink one? We'll take that one,” he said. Reluctantly, the Jawa traded Pinkie for the damaged droid. Owen paid the head Jawa while the others herded the remaining droids back into the Sandcrawler. Twilight trudged off toward the homestead as Applejack and Pinkie followed.

“Now don't you forget this,” Applejack whispered to Pinkie. “Why I should stick my neck out for you is quite beyond my capacity!”


In the small, cluttered garage, Applejack slowly lowered herself into a vat of warm oil. Pinkie beeped softly as Twlight ran her hoof over a small landspeeder. She suddenly turned, slamming a wrench against the workbench.

“It just isn't fair!” she shouted, throwing up her hooves. “I'm never gonna get out of here! Macintosh was right...” She slumped as she thought of her childhood friend, suddenly longing to feel his warm embrace. Her thoughts were interrupted by Applejack.

“Is there anything I might could do to help?” she asked. A small smile crept across Twilight's face as her anger subsided.

“Well, not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest, or teleport me off this rock,” she jokingly replied.

“I don't think so, sir,” Applejack answered without catching Twilight's sarcasm. “I'm only a droid and not very knowledgeable 'bout such things. Not on this planet anyhow. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure what planet I'm on.”

“Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from,” Twilight returned.

“I see, sir,” Applejack said, still missing the sarcasm.

“You can just call me Twilight,” she responded.

“And I am Applejack, pony-cyborg relations, and this is my counterpart, Pinkie-Pie.” Pinkie beeped in response. Twilight grabbed a rag off of her workbench and began to scrub Pinkie's outer shell.

“You've got a lot of carbon scoring here,” she said as she worked. “It looks like you girls have seen a lot of action.”

“With all we've been through, sometimes I'm amazed we're in as good condition as we are, what with the rebellion and all.” Twilight dropped her rag.

“You know of the rebellion against the Empire?” she asked excitedly.

“That's how we came to be in your service,” Applejack replied. “If you take my meanin', sir.” Twilight continued her work on Pinkie's exterior.

“Well, my little friend, you've got something jammed in here,” she said as she inspected one of Pinkie's ports. Suddenly, the fragment broke loose, sending Twilight tumbling head over hooves. She sat up to see a tiny, three-dimensional hologram of Rarity Organa, streaming from Pinkie's open mouth.

“Help me, General Celestia. You're my only hope,” the hologram spoke. Twilight slowly sat up, not taking her eyes off of the princess.

“What's this?” Twilight asked as she continued to stare. Pinkie began to beep.

“Oh, she says it's nothin', sir,” Applejack translated. “Merely a malfunction. Old data. Pay it no mind.” The hologram continued to repeat the sentence fragment over and over. Twilight seemed transfixed by the image.

“Who is she? She's beautiful.” Twilight turned to see her reflection in a metal sheet. Her own rugged face and mane seemed shabby compared to the beautiful, white mare's.

“I believe she was a passenger on our last voyage,” Applejack replied. “A person of some importance, I believe.”

“Is there more to this message?” Twilight asked as she reached toward the pink droid. Pinkie beeped out her disapproval.

“Behave yourself, Pinkie!” Applejack shouted. “You can trust her. She's our new master.” Pinkie let out a series of beeps. “She says she's the property of General Celestia, a resident of these parts, and that it's a private message for her,” Applejack translated. “Quite frankly, sir, I don't know what she's talkin' about.”

“General Celestia...” Twilight mused to herself. “I wonder if she means old Celeste?”

“I beg your pardon, sir, but do you know what she's talkin' about?” Applejack asked.

“Well,” Twilight explained, “I don't know any General Celestia, but old Celeste lives out beyond the dune sea. She's kind of a strange hermit.” Twilight gazed back at the princess. “I wonder who she is. It sounds like she's in trouble. I'd better play back the whole thing.” Pinkie beeped something to Applejack.

“She says that the restrainin' bolt has short-circuited her recordin' system,” Applejack translated. “She suggests that if you remove the bolt, she might be able to play back the entire recordin'.” Twilight had been staring at the princess, and wasn't really paying attention to Applejack.

“Hm? Oh, yeah,” she stammered. “I guess you're too small to run away on me if I take this off.” She grabbed a wedged bar from her workbench and popped the restraining bolt off of Pinkie's side. The image of the princess immediately disappeared. “Wait a minute! Where'd she go?” Twilight demanded. “Play back the entire message!” a mare's voice called out from another room, breaking Twilight's train of thought.

“Twilight? Twilight, come to dinner,” It was the voice of her Aunt Beru.

“I'll be right there!” Twilight called. She hurried out of the garage, leaving the two droids alone.

“Just you reconsider playin' that message for her,” Applejack said sternly. Pinkie beeped a response. “No, I don't think she likes you at all.” Pinkie beeped again. “No, I don't like you either.”


Beru Lars was a warm, motherly mare. She filled a pitcher with a cool liquid and began setting plates of food around the table where Owen sat. Twilight trotted into the room, taking the seat opposite her uncle.

“You know,” she started, “I think that Astromech we bought might have been stolen.”

“What makes you think that?” Owen asked without looking up from his food.

“Well,” Twilight replied, “I stumbled across a recording while I was cleaning her. She says she belongs to somepony called General Celestia.” Owen stopped chewing, his eyes darting up at the mention of the name. “I thought she might have meant old Celeste. Do you know what she's talking about?” Owen dropped his fork with a clatter.

“That old hag's just a crazy old witch!” he shouted. “Tomorrow I want you to take that Astromech into Anchorhead and have its memory flushed. That'll be the end of it. It belongs to us now.”

“But what if this Celestia comes looking for her?” Twilight asked.

“She won't,” Owen replied sternly. “I don't think she exists anymore. She died about the same time as your mother.”

“She knew my mother?” Twilight asked inquisitively.

“I told you to forget it!” Owen shouted. “Your only concern is to prepare the new droids for tomorrow. In the morning, I want them on the south ridge working out those condensers.”

“Yes sir,” Twilight sheepishly replied. Her eyes fell to her plate as she chose her next words. “I think those new droids are going to work out fine. In fact, I, uh, was also thinking about our agreement about my staying on another season. And if these new droids do work out, I want to transmit my application to the academy this year.” Owen's face became a scowl.

“You mean the season before harvest?” he spit through his teeth. “Harvest is when I need you the most. Only one more season. This year, we'll make enough on the harvest to hire some more hands. You can go to the academy next year.” Twilight continued to toy with her food, not looking at her uncle. Owen's expression softened a bit. “You must understand that I need you here, Twilight.” Twilight pushed her half-eaten plate of food back and stood.

“Yeah, that's what you said last year when Macintosh left,” she muttered, still looking at the ground.

“Where are you going?” he demanded.

“It looks like I'm going nowhere!” Twilight angrily shot back. “I have to finish cleaning those droids.” She stormed out of the room as Owen mechanically chewed his food. Beru slowly trotted across the room to her husband. She gently placed her hoof on his shoulder.

“Owen,” she said softly, “she can't stay here forever. Most of her friends have gone. It means so much to her.”

“I'll make it up to her next year, I promise,” Owen replied, looking down at his plate.

“Twilight's not just a farm girl, Owen,” Beru said. “She has too much of her mother in her.” Owen turned and looked at his wife.

“That's what I'm afraid of.”


As the giant twin suns of Tatooine disappeared behind a distant dune range, Twilight slowly turned and walked into the garage. She entered to find the droids nowhere in sight. She pulled a small box from her belt and activated it. Applejack let out a small yelp, leaping from behind the landspeeder.

“What are you doing hiding there?” Twilight asked. Applejack stumbled forward, but Pinkie was nowhere in sight.

“It wasn't my fault, sir,” Applejack pleaded. “Please don't deactivate me! I told her not ta go, but she's faulty, malfunctionin'. Kept babblin' on about her mission.”

“Oh, no!” Twilight exclaimed. She raced out of the garage, followed by Applejack. She pulled out her binoculars and began to scan the darkening horizon for any sign of the Astromech. “How could I be so stupid?!” she exclaimed, dropping the binoculars. “She's nowhere in sight. Blast it!”

“Pardon me, sir, but couldn't we go after her?” Applejack asked.

“It's too dangerous with all the Sandpeople around,” Twilight replied. “We'll have to wait until morning. Boy, am I gonna get it.”

Morning slowly crept into the sparse, but sparkling, oasis of the open courtyard. The idyll was broken by the yelling of Owen, his voice echoing throughout the homestead.

“Twilight? Twilight!” he boomed. “Where could she be off loafing now?” The interior of the kitchen was a warm glow as Beru prepared breakfast. Owen entered in a huff. “Have you seen Twilight this morning?”

“She said she had some things to do before she started today, so she left early,” Beru replied.

“Uh-huh,” Owen muttered. “Did she take those two droids with her?”

“I think so,” Beru answered.

“Well, she'd better have those units in the south range repaired by midday, or there'll be hell to pay!” he shouted.


The rock and sand of the desert floor were a blur as Twilight piloted her Landspeeder gracefully across the vast wasteland.

“Old Celeste lives out in this direction somewhere,” she said to Applejack, who was sitting next to her. “I don't see how that Astromech could have come out this far. We must have missed her. Uncle Owen isn't going to take this well.” She quickly looked down at her scanner, which began to beep. “Wait, there's something dead ahead. It looks like our droid.” She slammed on the accelerator.

High atop the rock mesa, a pair of weather-beaten Sandpeople, or Tusken Raiders as they are sometimes called, watched as the tiny landspeeder raced by. One of the marginally pony-like creatures raised a long, ominous laser rifle. The two raiders began to scurry across the rocky terrain. They approached two Banthas: large, wooly elephant-like creatures. The Tuskens climbed aboard the Banthas’ huge, shaggy backs and began to ride off down the rugged bluff.

Twilight skidded the Landspeeder to a halt and leaped out, her laser rifle strapped to her back. She galloped toward the tiny pink droid that was making its way across the sand.

“Hey, whoa! Where do you think you're going?” she asked. Pinkie whistled a feeble reply as Applejack stepped in front of her.

“Master Twilight is your rightful owner,” Applejack chastised. “We'll have no more of this General Celestia gibberish. And don't you talk ta me about your mission either. You're fortunate she don't blast you into a million pieces right here!”

“Well, come on,” Twilight called to the droids. “It's getting late. I only hope we can get back before Uncle Owen really blows up.” Suddenly, Pinkie began to leap about, sputtering frantic whistles and beeps.

“Oh my,” Applejack said worriedly. “She says there are several creatures approachin from the south-east.” Twilight's expression grew grim.

“Sandpeople,” she muttered. “Or worse. Come on, let's go.”

Twilight made her way up to the top of a rocky ridge and began to scan the canyon with her binoculars. She spotted two Banthas, though they were riderless. Suddenly, something huge moved in front of her field of view. She quickly backed up to see a large, gruesome Tusken Raider looming over her. Startled, Applejack leaped back and lost her footing. She tumbled off of the ridge, her metal body clanking loudly as she fell. The Tusken didn't seem to notice as it raised its axe-bladed rifle above the young mare. It roared loudly as it brought the blade down. Twilight acted quickly, using her rifle to block the blow. The weapon shattered in her hooves. Terrified, Twilight scrambled backward, but stopped as she found herself backed up to the edge of a deep crevice. The Tusken let out a terrible shrieking laugh as the butt of its weapon connected with Twilight's head, letting out a sickening crack.

Pinkie hid in the shadows of the rock mesa, silently watching as the group of Tusken walked past, carrying Twilight's inert body. Her hooves had been tied, and blood slowly dripped from the large gash on her forehead. The raiders dropped her in a heap in front of the parked Landspeeder before rummaging through the vehicle, throwing parts and supplies in all directions. Suddenly, the Tuskens stopped. A deathly quiet permeated the canyon as a hooded figure began to approach them. The wind began to whip around the Tuskens, who looked around at each other before fleeing in terror. Pinkie shrank even farther into the darkness as the creature that had frightened off the Tuskens grew nearer. The hooded figure stopped over Twilight's body and began inspecting the injured mare. Suddenly, the figure stopped and turned, looking right at Pinkie. It was a mare with a soft, white face and dark, penetrating eyes.

“Hello there,” the mare called. Her voice was strong and smooth. “Come here, my little pony. Don't be afraid.” Pinkie slowly began to make her way out of the shadows towards the mare. She stood over Twilight, beeping her concern. The mare reached out of her robe, placing her hoof on Twilight's cheek. She moaned as she began to come around. “Don't worry,” the mare said to Pinkie. “She'll be alright.” Twilight groaned again and slowly started to open her eyes.

“Wha—what happened?” she groaned.

“Rest easy, dear. You've had a busy day,” the mare softly replied. “You're fortunate to still be alive.” As her eyes began to focus, Twilight suddenly snapped to, sitting up quickly.

“Celeste? Old Celeste! Boy, am I glad to see you!” She winced as her head began to throb. She rubbed her forehead with her hoof.

“These wastes are not to be traveled lightly,” Celeste said. “Tell me, young Twilight, what brings you out this far?”

“Oh, this little droid,” Twilight replied, pointing toward Pinkie. “I think she's searching for her former master. I've never seen such devotion in a droid before. There seems to be no stopping her. She claims to be the property of a General Celestia. Do you know anything about this?” Celeste pondered for a moment, scratching her firmly defined chin.

“Celestia...” she muttered to herself. “General Celestia. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. A long time...” She began to trail off, lost in thought.

“I think my uncle knew her,” Twilight interjected. “He said she was dead.” Celeste chuckled to herself.

“Oh, she's not dead,” she said. “Not... not yet.”

“You know her?” Twilight enthusiastically asked.

“Well, of course I know her,” Celeste laughed. “She's me! I haven't gone by that name since, oh, since before you were born.”

“Then the droid does belong to you?” Twilight asked. Celestia pondered for a while before replying,

“I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid. Very interesting...” She stopped, looking up at the overhanging cliffs. “I think we'd better get indoors. The Sandpeople are easily startled, but they'll be back, and in bigger numbers.” As she stood, Twilight's eyes flashed as she remembered something.

“Applejack!” she cried out. She made her way across the sand to a nearby pit where Applejack lay, half-buried in the sand. One of her forelegs had been broken off and lay in the sand next to her. Twilight lifted the golden droid out of the sand, shaking her and flipping switches on her back. Suddenly, the mechanical mare's eyes lit up.

“Where am I?” she asked, disoriented. “I musta taken a bad step.” Twilight and Celestia began to help her to her feet. Celestia began to glance around suspiciously.

“Quickly, they're on the move,” she warned. The two mares helped Applejack to the landspeeder, with Pinkie trailing closely behind.


Celestia's dwelling was a small, spartan hovel, cluttered with desert junk, though radiating a sort of time-worn comfort and security. Twilight sat in one corner, a bandage wrapped around her wounded forehead. She diligently worked on repairing Applejack's leg. Celestia sat in a small chair next to her table. She had removed her hood, letting her magnificent mane flow down her back. It was brilliantly hued in stripes of blue, green, purple, and pink. Though there was no wind, it seemed to be constantly in motion, adding to the mare's regal visage. Her snow-white face was smooth and nearly free of blemishes, though the deep creases around her eyes betrayed her age. At the top of her forehead, a large horn extended to the sky. It was much larger than Twilight's. In fact, it was larger than any unicorn's that Twilight had ever seen. The two were half-engaged in conversation as Twilight worked.

“No, my mother didn't fight in the wars,” Twilight said. “She was a navigator on a spice freighter.”

“That's what your uncle told you,” Celestia replied. “He didn't hold with your mother's ideals. He thought she should have stayed here and not gotten involved.”

“You fought in the Clone Wars?” Twilight asked, intrigued.

“Yes,” Celestia replied. “I was once a Jedi Knight, the same as your mother.”

“I wish I'd known her,” Twilight mused.

“She was the best star pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior,” Celestia said. “I understand you've become quite a good pilot yourself. And she was a good friend... Which reminds me--” Celestia stood and walked to a chest, rummaging around in it. Twilight put the finishing touches on Applejack's leg as Celestia approached her, presenting her with a short handle covered in electronic parts. “I have something here for you,” she said. “Your mother wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Celestia on some damned-fool idealistic crusade like your mother did.” She handed Twilight the object.

“What is it?” Twilight inquired.

“Your mother's lightsaber,” Celestia responded. “This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster.” Twilight pressed a button on the handle, and a long beam of blue light shot out of the end of it, extending a few feet into the air. Twilight's eyes grew wide as the light flickered and played about the ceiling. “An elegant weapon for a more civilized time,” Celestia continued. “For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the empire.” Twilight hadn't really been listening, her attention focused on the glowing blade.

“How did my mother die?” she asked as she waved the lightsaber about. Celestia let out a long sigh before responding.

“A young Jedi named Nightmare Moon, who was a pupil of mine until she turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and kill the Jedi Knights. She betrayed and murdered your mother. Now the Jedi are all but extinct. Moon was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force.”

“The Force?” Twilight inquired.

“Well,” Celestia replied, “the Force is what gives a Jedi their power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.” Pinkie began to let out a few beeping sounds. Celestia turned her attention to the little pink droid. “Now, let's see if we can't figure out what you are, my little pony. And where you come from.”

“I saw part of the message she was--” Twilight was cut short as the recorded image of the beautiful young rebel princess projected from Pinkie's mouth.

“I seem to have found it,” Celestia mused. The lovely mare's image flickered as she gave her message.

“General Celestia, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now, he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this Astromech droid. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, General Celestia, you're my only hope.” After a little static, the image was cut short. Celestia leaned back in her chair, her eyes closed in thought.

“You must learn the ways of the Force if you're to come with me to Alderaan,” she said to Twilight.

“Alderaan?” Twilight laughed. “I'm not going to Alderaan. I've got to go home. It's late, I'm in for it as it is.”

“I need your help, Twilight,” Celestia implored. “She needs your help. I'm getting too old for this sort of thing.”

“I can't get involved!” Twilight rebutted. “I've got work to do! It's not that I like the Empire. I hate it! But there's nothing I can do about it right now. It's such a long way from here.”

“That's your uncle talking,” Celestia said as she closed her eyes. Twilight sighed.

“Oh, God, my uncle. How am I ever going to explain this?”

“Learn about the Force, Twilight,” Celestia calmly replied.

“Look,” Twilight said back, “I can take you as far as Anchorhead. You can get a transport there to Mos Eisley or wherever you're going.” Celestia sighed and turned her head.

“You must do what you feel is right, of course.”


A group of Imperial senators and generals sat around a large, black conference table as stormtroopers stood guard. A young, slimy looking general stood as he spoke.

“Until this battle station is fully operational, we are vulnerable. The Rebel Alliance is too well equipped. They're more dangerous than you realize.” A bitter admiral twisted nervously in his chair as he responded,

“Dangerous to your starfleet, Commander, not to this battle station.”

“The Rebellion will continue to gain support in the Imperial Senate as long as--” The young general's speech was cut short as the room's doors slid open. All heads turned as Grand Moff Toity, governor of the Imperial outland regions, entered the room. He was followed closely by an even more intimidating presence, the Sith Lord, Nightmare Moon. All of the generals stood and bowed before the thin, evil looking governor as he took his place at the head of the table. The Dark Lord stood behind him.

“The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us,” Toity began. “I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.”

“That's impossible!” the young general shouted. “How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?”

“The regional governors now have direct control over territories,” Toity replied. “Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.” A twisted grin grew over his face.

“And what of the rebellion?” the general asked. “If the Rebels have obtained a complete technical readout of this station, it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it.”

“The plans you refer to will soon be back in our hooves,” Nightmare Moon responded.

“Any attack made by the Rebels against this station would be a useless gesture, no matter what technical data they've obtained,” the admiral said proudly. “This station is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use it!”

“Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed,” Moon said to the admiral. “The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.”

“Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Moon,” the admiral shot back. “Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data files, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebels' hidden fort--” He stopped mid-sentence as he reached for his throat, his face starting to turn blue.

“I find your lack of faith disturbing,” Moon said coldly as she held the admiral under her spell.

“Enough of this!” Toity shouted. “Moon, release him!”

“As you wish,” Moon replied as she dropped the admiral to the ground.

“This bickering is pointless,” Toity continued. “Lord Moon will provide us with the location of the Rebel fortress by the time this station is operational. We will then crush the Rebellion with one swift stroke.


The Landspeeder had stopped before the remains of the huge Jawa Sandcrawler. Twilight and Celestia walked among the smoldering rubble and scattered Jawa corpses.

“It looks like Sandpeople did this, all right,” Twilight muttered. “It's just, I've never heard of them hitting anything this big before.” Celestia crouched down, studying the Bantha tracks in the sand.

“They didn't,” she replied, “but we were meant to think they did. Their tracks are side by side. Sandpeople always ride single file to hide their numbers.” Twilight glanced over at the corpses.

“These are the same Jawas that sold us Pinkie and Applejack,” she said to herself.

“And these blast points,” Celestia continued, “too accurate for Sandpeople. Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise.”

“Why would Imperial troops want to slaughter Jawas?” Twilight asked. Her eyes made their way to the Landspeeder where Applejack and Pinkie stood. Her eyes grew wide in terror as she began to understand. “If they traced the droids here, they may have learned who they sold them to. And that would lead them home!” Her face turned pale as she galloped towards her speeder.

“Wait, Twilight! It's too dangerous!” Celestia shouted. Twilight ignored her, leaping onto the speeder and taking off in a cloud of dust.

As she rode off into the distant sands, Twilight spotted a blazing fire on the horizon. As she approached the burning homestead, she leaped off of the speeder and galloped toward the smoking holes that were once her home.

“Uncle Owen!” she shouted. “Aunt Beru! Uncle Owen!” She screamed at the top of her lungs, sweat pouring down her face. She made her way to the front of the blaze, then stopped as she saw what lay in front of her. Lying on the sand, wrapped in each other's arms, lay the smoldering corpses of Owen and Beru. Their charred flesh had started to fall off in places, exposing blackened bones. Tears filled Twilight's eyes as she got down on her knees. She buried her head in her hooves as the tears streamed down her face. She cried until no more tears would come. Rising to her feet, Twilight turned from the rubble and slowly made her way to the Landspeeder. The sorrow in her tear-stained eyes had gone, leaving behind a burning hatred.


Two stormtroopers opened an electronic cell door, allowing several Imperial guards to enter. Princess Rarity lay on the cell bed, her strong face filled with defiance. Her expression changed to fear as a large black torture device was wheeled into the cell, followed by Nightmare Moon.

“And now, your Highness,” Moon began as she activated the device, “we will discuss the location of your hidden rebel base.” A large needle extended from the device as it approached Rarity. The cell doors slid closed, leaving Moon alone with the princess. The stormtroopers stood guard as Rarity's muffled screams echoed across the hall.


A large bonfire blazed as Celestia and the droids finished burning the dead Jawas. A dull rumbling heralded the return of the Landspeeder. As the vehicle slowed to a stop, Celestia made her way over to Twilight, putting an arm around her slender shoulder.

“There's nothing you could have done, Twilight,” Celestia said softly. “Had you been there, you'd have been killed too, and the droids would be in the hooves of the Empire.” Twilight looked up at the old mare, her face stained with dried tears.

“I want to come with you to Alderaan,” she said. “There's nothing here for me now. I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my mother.”

The Landspeeder zoomed across the desert, carrying Twilight, Celestia, and the two droids. Twilight stopped at a bluff overlooking the spaceport at Mos Eisley, a haphazard array of low, grey, concrete structures and semi-domes. A harsh gale blew across the stark canyon floor as Twilight adjusted her goggles and walked to the edge of the craggy bluff where Celestia stood.

“Mos Eisley Spaceport,” Celestia muttered, half to herself. “You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.”

As Twilight piloted her speeder into the port, she was stopped by two combat-hardened stormtroopers who began to look over the two droids. One of them turned to Twilight, asking,

“How long have you had these droids?”

“About three or four seasons,” Twilight replied.

“They're for sale, if you want them,” Celestia added.

“Let me see your identification,” the trooper ordered. Twilight nervously fumbled to find her ID, while Celestia replied to the trooper in a very controlled voice.

“You don't need to see her identification,”

“We don't need to see her identification,” the trooper replied.

“These aren't the droids you're looking for,” Celestia said in the same controlled voice.

“These aren't the droids we're looking for,” the trooper said back, mimicking Celestia's words.

“Move along,” Celestia said.

“Move along,” the trooper repeated. Twilight piloted the speeder in front of a rundown blockhouse cantina on the outskirts of the spaceport. As the group got to their feet, Twilight turned to Celestia.

“I can't understand how we got by those troopers,” she said. “I thought we were dead.

“The Force can have a strong influence on a weak mind,” Celestia replied. “You will find it a powerful ally.”

“Do you really think we're going to find a pilot here that'll take us to Alderaan?” Twilight asked.

“Well,” Celestia replied, “most of the best freighter pilots can be found here. Only, watch your step. This place can be a little rough.” Celestia turned, trotting into the cantina. Twilight, Pinkie, and Applejack followed closely behind. The murky, moldy den was filled with a startling array of weird and exotic alien creatures at the long, metallic bar. As Celestia made her way to a group of repulsive, but pony-like patrons, Twilight found herself blocked by a large, rough-looking bartender.

“We don't serve their kind here!” the bartender shouted. Twilight, confused, looked nervously around. “Your droids,” the bartender continued. “They'll have to wait outside. We don't want them here.” Twilight looked to Celestia, but she was already talking to a group of pirates. Some of the creatures at the bar were giving Twilight menacing looks. She tapped Applejack on the shoulder and said,

“Listen, why don't you wait out by the speeder? We don't want any trouble.”

“I heartily agree with you, sir,” Applejack responded. She and Pinkie quickly made their way out of the cantina. Twilight looked over at Celestia, who was now talking to a large, bulky dragon. The fearsome creature stood at least a head over Celestia, its gleaming purple scales offset by a row of sharp, green pointed spikes running down its back and tail. Its cool, green eyes seemed to soften its otherwise menacing visage. As Celestia spoke, the dragon nodded, and occasionally let out a loud roar. Twilight, slightly off-put, tried not to notice the conversation. She slipped up to the bar and ordered a drink. As she sipped her beverage, she suddenly felt chills as a slimy appendage brushed against her shoulder. She turned quickly to see a large multiple-eyed pony creature staring at her. The creature muttered in some unintelligible language. Twilight could tell that it was drunk, and scooted father away from the creature. A short, grubby looking pony approached her.

“He says he likes you,” the pony said, motioning toward the creature.

“I'm sorry,” Twilight responded.

“I like you too,” the pony said with an unsettling grin. He began to ease his way toward Twilight's seat. She stood up, trying to back away from the two. The creature, agitated, yelled some more gibberish. “Don't insult us,” the pony said threateningly. “You just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence in twelve systems.” He grinned again, licking his lips. He and the creature started to make their way toward Twilight. She backed up, but found herself trapped against a group of patrons. “Come on, now, don't be difficult,” the pony said as he advanced. He reached out a grimy hoof towards Twilight's face. She slapped it away. Infuriated, the pony struck Twilight in the face, sending her spiraling backward into a table, crashing to the floor. The creature drew a chrome blaster, pointing it at her.

“No blasters! No blasters!” the bartender frantically yelled. Suddenly, with astounding agility, old Celestia's lightsaber sparked to life, and in a flash, the creature's hoof lay on the floor. The grimy pony whipped around, only to be split in half by Celestia's sword. She then swung the blade at the now three-hooved creature, bisecting it. She carefully turned off the blade and tucked it under her robe. Twilight shook, totally amazed at the old mare's abilities. She attempted to stand, and Celestia reached out a hoof, helping her to her feet. The entire cantina seemed to return to normal; nopony seemed to be fazed by the fight that had just taken place. Celestia returned to the bar, and was given a respectable amount of room by the other patrons. Twilight rubbed her bruised cheek, approaching the old mare with awe. Celestia pointed towards the dragon.

“Twilight, this is Spike,” she said. “He's first mate on a ship that might suit our needs.”

Applejack paced in front of the cantina as Pinkie energetically chattered on an electronic conversation with another Astromech. Applejack turned and noticed a black-hooded creature come out of the cantina, approaching two stormtroopers. Applejack's eyes filled with worry as they conversed.

“I don't like the look of this...” she muttered to herself.

Strange creatures played exotic music on odd-looking instruments as Twilight sipped her drink, following Celestia and Spike to a booth where a blue pegasus sat alone. She had a short-cropped rainbow-colored mane and a rough, roguish look about her face.

“Rainbow Dash,” the pegasus said to the newcomers as they sat around the booth. “I'm the captain of the Wonderbolt. Spike here tells me you're looking for passage to the Alderaan system.”

“Yes, indeed,” Celestia answered. “If it's a fast ship.”

“Fast ship?” Rainbow shot back. “You've never heard of the Wonderbolt? It's the ship that made the Kessel run in ten seconds flat!” Celestia pretended to be intrigued in Dash's attempt to impress them. “I've outrun Imperial starships, not the local bulk-cruisers, mind you. I'm talking about the big Corellian ships now. She's fast enough for you, old mare. What's the cargo?”

“Only passengers,” Celestia replied. “Myself, the girl, two droids, and no questions asked.”

“What is it?” Rainbow inquired. “Some kind of local trouble?”

“Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements,” Celestia replied. Rainbow's face grew serious.

“Well, that's the trick, isn't it?” she said. “It's going to cost you something extra. Ten thousand in advance.”

“Ten thousand?” Twilight exclaimed. “We could almost buy our own ship for that!”

“But who's going to fly it, kid? You?” Dash retorted sarcastically.

“You bet I could!” Twilight shot back. “I'm a pretty good pilot myself! We don't have to sit here and listen--” She was cut off by Celestia.

“We haven't that much now,” Celestia said calmly, “but we could pay you two thousand now, plus fifteen when we reach Alderaan.”

“Seventeen, huh?” Rainbow began to ponder. “Okay, you got yourself a ship. We'll leave as soon as you're ready. Docking bay ninety-four. Looks like somepony's beginning to take an interest in your handiwork.” Twilight and Celestia turned around to see four stormtroopers investigating the dead bodies. The two quietly made their way out of the cantina. “Seventeen thousand!” Rainbow said to herself. “Those two must be really desperate. This could really save my neck.” She turned to Spike and said, “Get back to the ship and get her ready.” Spike nodded and walked out of the cantina. As Rainbow turned to leave, she was stopped by a slimy, green-faced alien who poked a gun in her side.

“Going somewhere, Dash?” the creature taunted.

“Yes, Greedo,” Rainbow replied. “As a matter of fact, I was just going to see your boss. Tell Jabba that I've got his money.” Rainbow sat down in the booth across from Greedo, who kept the gun pointed at her.

“It's too late,” Greedo said. “You should have paid him when you had the chance. Jabba's put a price on your head so large that every bounty hunter in the galaxy will be looking for you. I'm lucky I found you first.”

“Yeah, but his time I got the money,” Rainbow shot back.

“If you give it to me, I might forget I found you,” Greedo mocked.

“I don't have it with me,” Rainbow replied. “Tell Jabba—”

“Jabba's done with you,” Greedo cut her off. “He has no time for smugglers who drop their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.”

“Even I get boarded sometimes,” Rainbow said, flustered. “You think I had a choice?” Under the table, Rainbow slowly reached her hoof toward the gun on her belt.

“You can tell that to Jabba,” Greedo replied. “He may only take your ship.”

“Over my dead body,” Rainbow retorted.

“That's the idea,” Greedo mocked as he cocked his pistol. “I've been looking forward to killing you for a long time.”

“Yes, I'll bet you have.” Suddenly, a blast echoed across the cantina as Greedo collapsed on the floor. Rainbow pulled her smoking gun out from under the table as the other patrons looked on in amazement. Rainbow holstered her weapon and turned to leave the cantina. She tossed some coins to the bartender as she left. “Sorry about the mess,” she said as she trotted out the door.


Grand Moff Toity stood in the control room of the Death Star, surveying the Imperial engineers as they worked. A door opened, and Nightmare Moon made her way across the room to Toity.

“Her resistance to the mind probe is considerable,” Moon reported. “It will be some time before we can extract any information from her.” An Imperial officer approached the two, interrupting their conversation.

“The final check out is complete,” the officer reported. “All systems are operational. What course shall we set?” An evil grin grew across Toity's face.

“Perhaps she would respond to an alternate form of persuasion,” he said to Moon.

“What do you mean?” Moon asked.

“I think it's time we demonstrate the full power of this station,” Toity responded. He turned to the officer. “Set your course for Princess Rarity's home planet of Alderaan.”

“With pleasure,” the officer replied.


Four heavily-armed stormtroopers moved menacingly along a narrow slum alleyway crowded with darkly clad creatures. As the troops made their way, Applejack peered out of a crack in a door as she and Pinkie cowered in the darkness. One of the troopers made his way toward the door, trying the lock. As he peered into the crack, Applejack and Pinkie remained silent and motionless. Applejack breathed a sigh of relief as the trooper turned and left. Checking to make sure the coast was clear, Applejack slowly creaked open the door, moving out into the alleyway.

“I would much rather've gone with Master Twilight than stay here with you,” Applejack whispered. “I don't know what all the trouble's about, but I'm sure it's your fault.” Pinkie beeped a reply. “You watch your language!”

In the middle of the docking bay, a gristly group of creatures stood, surrounding a large, grotesque thing. Jabba the Hutt was a large, bulbous, hairless creature that barely even resembled a pony. His back legs were nonexistent, and his stubbly front hooves barely even reached his massive, drooling face. He slithered around like a repulsive slug.

“Come on out, Dash,” he boomed in his commanding voice. The pirates turned around to see Rainbow Dash and Spike standing behind them with no weapons in sight.

“I've been waiting for you, Jabba,” Rainbow replied. “I'm not the type to run.”

“Rainbow, my girl,” Jabba said in a sickly-smooth tone, “there are times when you disappoint me. Why haven't you paid me? And why did you have to fry poor Greedo like that? After all we've been through together...”

“You sent Greedo to kill me,” Rainbow replied. Jabba brought his fat hooves to his face in mock surprise.

“Rainbow, why you're the best smuggler in the business. You're too valuable to fry. He was only relaying my concern at your delays. He wasn't going to kill you.”

“I think he thought he was,” Rainbow said back, a hard expression on her face. “Next time, don't send one of those twerps. If you've got something to say to me, come see me yourself.”

“Rainbow, Rainbow!” he coaxed. “If only you hadn't had to dump that shipment of spice. You understand I just can't make an exception. Where would I be if every pilot who smuggled for me dumped their shipment at the first sign of an Imperial starship? It's not good business.”

“You know, even I get boarded sometimes, Jabba,” Rainbow replied. “I had no choice, but I've got a charter now, and I can pay you back, plus a little extra. I just need some more time.” Jabba turned to his men and said,

“Put your blasters away.” He turned back to Rainbow. “Rainbow, my girl, I'm only doing this because you're the best, and I need you. So, for an extra, say twenty percent, I'll give you a little more time. But this is it. If you disappoint me again, I'll put a price on your head so large you won't be able to go near a civilized system for the rest of your life.” Rainbow gently stroked Jabba's bulbous face with her hoof.

“Jabba, I'll pay you because it's my pleasure.”

Spike lead Celestia, Twilight, and the two droids through the spaceport to Docking Bay ninety-four, a giant dirt pit where a large, round, beat-up, pieced together hunk of machinery that could only loosely be called a starship rested.

“What a piece of junk!” Twilight exclaimed. Rainbow Dash's tall figure trotted down the boarding ramp.

“She'll make point five beyond the speed of light,” she boasted. “She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, filly. I've added some special modifications myself.” Spike lumbered up the ramp, motioning for the others to follow. “We're a little rushed, so if you hurry aboard, we'll get out of here.” The group climbed up the gang plank into the ship. Spike made his way into the pilot's chair and flipped a switch, starting the ship's mighty engines.

Out in the street, eight stormtroopers made their way to a darkly clad creature, who pointed in the direction of the docking bay.

“All right, men. Load your weapons,” the trooper called. The troops held their guns at the ready and charged the docking bay entrance as the ship began to leave the ground. “Stop that ship!” the trooper yelled as they began to fire. Rainbow ducked, drawing her own weapon, and fired a couple of shots at the troopers as the entry slowly closed.

“Spike, get us out of here!” Rainbow shouted as she galloped into the control room. The large ship rose above the dingy slums and began to disappear into the morning sky. Rainbow climbed into the pilot's chair next to Spike, who roared as he pointed to the radar scope. Rainbow frantically began to type information into the ship's computer. “It looks like an Imperial cruiser,” she said as she worked. “Our passengers must be hotter than I thought. Angle the deflector shield while I make the calculations for the jump to light speed.” As Spike and Rainbow worked away at the ship, Twilight and Celestia made their way into the control room. “Stay sharp!” Rainbow barked. “There are two more coming in. They're gonna try to cut us off.”

“Why don't you outrun them?” Twilight asked. “I thought you said this thing was fast.”

“Watch your mouth, kid, or you're gonna find yourself floating home,” Rainbow shot back. “We'll be safe enough once we make the jump to hyperspace. Besides, I know a few maneuvers. We'll lose them!” An explosion rocked the ship as sweat began to drip down Rainbow's chin. A red warning light began to flash.

“What's that flashing?” Twilight asked, alarmed.

“We're losing our deflector shield,” Rainbow replied. “Go strap yourself in, I'm going to make the jump to light speed.” The galaxy outside seemed to brighten as the ship quickly gained speed. It was is if they were crashing into a barrier. The stars began to look like streaks as the ship moved faster and faster. Suddenly, an explosion echoed throughout the sky as a huge, rainbow-colored ring of light radiated out from the point where the ship had accelerated into infinity in less than a second.


The grim admiral entered the quiet control room and bowed before Governor Toity, who stood before the huge wall screen displaying a small, green planet.

“We've entered the Alderaan system,” the admiral reported. Nightmare Moon and two stormtroopers entered the room with Princess Rarity, her front hooves bound. Her lovely face was bruised and fatigued, but she still maintained an air of elegance as she entered the room.

“Governor Toity,” she spit through her teeth. “I should have expected to find you holding Moon's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board.”

“Charming to the last,” Toity mocked. “You don't know how hard I found it signing the order to terminate your life!”

“I'm surprised you had the courage to take the responsibility yourself!” Rarity shot back.

“Princess Rarity,” Toity began, “before your execution, I would like you to be my guest at a ceremony that will make this battle station operational. No star system will dare oppose the Emperor now.”

“The more you tighten your grip, Toity, the more star systems will slip through your fingers,” Rarity replied.

“Not after we demonstrate the power of this station,” Toity said back, turning toward the screen. “In a way, you have determined the choice of the planet that'll be destroyed first. Since you are reluctant to provide us with the location of the Rebel base, I have chosen to test this station's destructive power on your home planet of Alderaan.” Rarity's face turned pale as fear filled her eyes.

“No!” she shouted. “Alderaan is peaceful. We have no weapons. You can't possibly--”

“You would prefer another target?” Toity cut her off. “A military target? Then name the system!” Toity stood menacingly over Rarity, who was frozen in silence. “I grow tired of asking this. So it'll be the last time. Where is the Rebel base?” Rarity's eyes fell to the ground.

“Dantooine,” she whispered softly. “They're on Dantooine.”

“There,” Toity said boastingly. “You see, Lord Moon? She can be reasonable.” He turned to the admiral and said, “Continue with the operation. You may fire when ready.”

“What?!” Rarity's face shot up, her eyes filled with terror and disbelief.

“You're far too trusting,” Toity mocked. “Dantooine is too remote to make an effective demonstration. But don’t worry, we'll deal with your Rebel friends soon enough.”

“No!” Rarity shouted as she struggled to reach Toity. The stormtroopers roughly grabbed her shoulders, holding her back.

“Commence primary ignition,” Moon ordered. Imperial soldiers scurried about, pulling levers and flipping switches. Light began to flash as the dome outside of the Death Star began to glow an eerie green. A cone of beams converged from the dome, firing a huge laser toward the small green planet. In an instant, the tiny planet disintegrated into nothingness.


Sitting in the central hold of the Wonderbolt, Celestia watched as Twilight practiced with her lightsaber, attempting to deflect small shots from a ball-shaped droid. Suddenly, Celestia turned away, putting her hooves to her head. She swayed, nearly collapsing. Twilight quickly turned off her lightsaber and rushed to the mare's side.

“Are you alright?” Twilight asked, worried. “What's wrong?” Celestia shuddered.

“I felt a great disturbance in the Force,” she said softly. “As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.” She rubbed her forehead, seeming to drift into a trance. She then fixed her gaze on Twilight. “You'd better get on with your exercises.” The door swished open as Rainbow entered the room.

“Well, you can forget your troubles with those Imperial slugs,” she said, proudly. “I told you I'd outrun 'em.” Celestia rubbed her head as she reoriented herself. Twilight continued practicing with her lightsaber. Applejack sat in a corner, watching as Spike and Pinkie were engrossed in a holographic board game. Rainbow looked around. “Don't everypony thank me at once. Anyway, we should be at Alderaan about oh-two-hundred hours.” Spike and the two droids sat around the table covered with small holographic pieces. Spike seemed pleased with himself as he rested his lanky, scaly arms over his head.

“Now be careful, Pinkie,” Applejack quipped. Pinkie reached up with one of her stubby hooves and moved a piece to a new square. A frown grew over Spike's face as he began to roar at the little droid. “She made a fair move,” Applejack said. “Screamin about it won't help you.”

“Let him have it,” Rainbow interrupted. “It's not wise to upset a dragon.”

“But sir,” Applejack said back, “nopony worries about upsettin a droid.”

“That's cause droids don't pull ponies' legs out of their sockets when they lose,” Rainbow retorted. “Dragons are known to do that.”

“I see your point, sir,” Applejack said quickly. “I suggest a new strategy, Pinkie. Let the dragon win.”

Twilight stood in the middle of the small hold area, frozen in concentration. She held her humming lightsaber high over her head. Celestia watched her from the corner, studying her movements.

“Remember,” Celestia said, “a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through her.”

“You mean it controls your actions?” Twilight asked.

“Partially,” Celestia mused. “But it also obeys your commands.” The little ball-shaped robot hovered slowly in a wide arc around Twilight. Suddenly, it lunged, stopping within a few feet of her face. Twilight remained still, and the ball backed off. It slowly moved behind the filly, then made another quick lunge, emitting a small laser as it attacked. The beam hit Twilight in the leg, causing her to stumble. Rainbow started to laugh.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid,” she said as she chuckled.

“You don't believe in the Force, do you?” Twilight asked as she got to her hooves.

“Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other,” Rainbow replied. “I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny.” Celestia smiled quietly as Rainbow ranted. “It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.”

“I suggest you try it again, Twilight,” Celestia said as she approached. She placed a large helmet on Twilight's head, covering her eyes. “This time, let go of your conscious self and act on instinct.” Twilight laughed.

“With the blast shield down, I can't even see. How am I supposed to fight?”

“Your eyes can deceive you,” Celestia replied calmly. “Don't trust them.” Rainbow sceptically shook her head as Celestia tossed the ball back into the air. Twilight blindly swung around the saber, missing the droid, which fired a laserbolt, striking Twilight square on her flank. She let out a yelp and swung again. “Stretch out with your feelings,” Celestia coached. Twilight stopped, frozen in place. The ball made another dive, and Twilight swung out, deflecting the laserbolt. The ball moved back to its original position. “You see, you can do it,” Celestia said as she smiled.

“I call it luck,” Rainbow said sceptically.

“In my experience, there's no such thing as luck,” Celestia replied.

“Look, going good against remotes is one thing,” Rainbow said back. “Going good against the living? That's something else.” She turned as she noticed a small flashing light on the control panel. “Looks like we're coming up on Alderaan.” She and Spike made their way back into the cockpit.

“You know,” Twilight said as she removed the helmet, “I did feel something. I could almost see the remote.”

“That's good,” Celestia smiled. “You've taken your first step into a larger world.”


An Imperial officer slowly approached Governor Toity and the evil Dark Lord Nightmare Moon.

“Our scout ships have reached Dantooine,” the officer reported. “They found the remains of a Rebel base, but they estimate that it has been deserted for some time. They are now conducting an extensive search of the surrounding systems.” Toity's face began to contort in rage.

“She lied!” he shouted. “She lied to us!”

“I told you she would never consciously betray the Rebellion,” Moon replied. Toity stomped his hooves in anger.

“Terminate her! Immediately!”


As the pirate ship began to leave hyperspace, a surreal glow surrounded it.

“Stand by, Spike,” Rainbow said as she pulled back on a control lever. “Cut in the sublight engines.” Outside, the streaking stars slowed to a stop. Suddenly, the ship began to shudder and violently shake about as it was pelted by asteroids. “What the—aw!” Rainbow exclaimed. “We've come out of hyperspace into a meteor shower. Some kind of asteroid collision. It's not on any of the charts.” Spike began to calmly flip switches as Twilight made her way into the bouncing cockpit.

“What's going on?” she asked.

“Our position is correct,” Rainbow replied, scratching her mane, “except, no Alderaan.”

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked, worried. “Where is it?”

“That's what I'm trying to tell you, kid,” Rainbow said back. “It ain't there. It's been totally blown away.”

“What? How?!” Twilight asked in alarm. Celestia made her way into the cockpit as the shaking began to subside.

“Destroyed,” she muttered. “By the Empire!”

“The entire starfleet couldn't destroy the whole planet,” Rainbow said, pacing back and forth. “It'd take a thousand ships with more firepower than I've--” Rainbow was cut off by a flashing alarm. “There's another ship coming in,” she said as she watched the control panel carefully.

“It's an Imperial fighter,” Celestia said. Spike barked his concern. An explosion burst outside the cockpit, shaking the ship as the tiny TIE fighter raced past.

“It followed us!” Twilight shouted.

“No,” Celestia replied, “it's a short range fighter.”

“There aren't any bases around here,” Rainbow wondered aloud. “Where did it come from?”

“It sure is leaving in a big hurry,” Twilight said, concerned. “If they identify us, we're in big trouble.”

“Not if I can help it,” Rainbow said back. “Spike! Jam its transmissions.” The pirate ship raced into the vast space as it chased its quarry. In the distance, a star began to glow brighter. The TIE fighter seemed to be heading toward it.

“A fighter that size couldn't get this deep into space on its own,” Celestia said.

“It must have gotten lost,” Twilight replied. “Part of a convoy or something.”

“Well he ain't going to be around long enough to tell anypony about us,” Rainbow said as she piloted her ship. The distant star grew larger and larger.

“Look, he's headed for that small moon,” Twilight called.

“I think I can get him before he gets there,” Rainbow said, concentrating. “He's almost in range,” As the moon grew closer, a look of worry crossed Celestia's face.

“That's no moon!” She called out. “It's a space station.”

“It's too big to be a space station,” Rainbow said sceptically.

“I have a very bad feeling about this,” Twilight said to herself. Rainbow looked around.

“Yeah, I think you're right,” she said. “Full reverse! Spike, lock in the auxiliary power.” The engines roared, but the ship continued moving towards the massive battle station.

“Why are we still moving towards it?” Twilight shouted.

“We're caught in a tractor beam!” Rainbow yelled. “It's pulling us in!”

“But there's gotta be something you can do!” Twilight shouted back, worried.

“There's nothing I can do about it, kid,” Rainbow sighed. “I'm in full power. I'm going to have to shut down.” Her expression grew hard. “But they're not gonna get me without a fight!” Celestia put a hoof on Rainbow's shoulder.

“You can't win,” she whispered. “But there are alternatives to fighting.”


The helpless Wonderbolt was pulled past a docking port control room and into a huge bay, coming to rest in the massive Death Star. A line of stormtroopers made their way into formation around the ship. As Toity paced back and forth in his conference room, an intercom began to buzz. He reached over, pressing a button on the panel.

“Yes,” Toity demanded. A voice came over the intercom, saying,

“We've captured a freighter entering the remains of the Alderaan system. Its markings match those of a ship that blasted its way out of Mos Eisley.”

“They must be trying to return the stolen plans to the princess,” Nightmare Moon said, standing behind Toity. “She may yet be of some use to us.” Moon marched out of the room to the docking bay, where she was greeted by several heavily armed troops.

“There's nopony on board, sir,” an officer said to Moon. “According to the log, the crew abandoned ship right after take-off. It must be a decoy, sir. Several of the escape pods have been jettisoned.”

“Did you find any droids?” Moon asked.

“No sir,” the officer replied warily. “If there were any on board, they must have also been jettisoned.”

“Send a scanning crew on board,” Moon ordered. “I want every part of this ship checked.”

“Yes sir!” the officer said as he marched towards the ship.

“I sense something,” Moon muttered to herself. “A presence I haven't felt sense...” She shook her head and quickly exited the hangar.

As the last troopers exited the halls of the barren Wonderbolt, muffled sounds of the officers began to fade. Two floor panels suddenly popped up, revealing Rainbow Dash and Twilight. Celestia raised her head out of a third locker.

“Boy, it's lucky you had these compartments,” Twilight whispered.

“I use them for smuggling,” Rainbow replied. “I never thought I'd be smuggling myself in them. This is ridiculous. Even if I could take off, I'd never get past the tractor beam.”

“Leave that to me,” Celestia said. Rainbow scoffed.

“Damn fool,” she said, “I knew you were going to say that!”

“Who's the more foolish?” Celestia replied. “The fool, or the fool who follows her?” Rainbow shook her head, muttering to herself.

Two crewmen entered the ship, carrying a large box of supplies, trotting past the two stormtroopers standing guard outside. After disappearing into the ship, the troopers heard a loud crash. A voice called out from inside the ship.

“Hey down there! Could you give us some help with this?” The stormtroopers entered the ship, and a quick round of gunfire echoed across the hangar. In a small command office near the ship, an officer looked out his window and noticed the missing guards.

“TX-four-one-two. Why aren't you at your post?” he said into his comlink. “TX-four-one-two, do you copy?” A stormtrooper walked down the ramp, pointing to his earpiece. The officer shook his head in disgust, heading for the door. “Take over,” he said to his assistant. “We've got a bad transmitter. I'll see what I can do.” He opened the door only to come face to face with the massive purple dragon. In shock, the officer stumbled backwards as Spike let out a bone-chilling roar, then knocked him across the room. The aide reached for a gun, but was shot by a stormtrooper standing behind Spike. Celestia and the droids entered, followed by a second stormtrooper who removed her helmet, revealing herself to be Twilight.

“You know,” Twilight said to the other trooper, “between his howling and your blasting everything in sight, it's a wonder the whole station doesn't know we're here.”

“Bring them on!” Rainbow retorted through her stormtrooper's helmet. “I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around.”

“We found the computer outlet, sir,” Applejack said, pointing to a large piece of machinery. Celestia began to type on a keyboard, bringing up a map of the station. Pinkie began to whistle.

“Plug in,” Celestia told Pinkie. “She should be able to interpret the entire Imperial computer network.” Pinkie reached her mechanical hoof into a socket as her lights began to glow.

“She says she's found the main computer to the tractor beam that's holdin the ship here,” Applejack translated. “She'll try and make the precise location appear on the monitor.” As the screen flashed, Celestia studied it intently.

“I don't think you girls can help,” Celestia said. “I must go alone.”

“Whatever you say,” Rainbow said back. “I've done more than I bargained for on this trip already.”

“I want to go with you,” Twilight said to her teacher.

“Be patient, Twilight. Stay and watch over the droids,” Celestia responded softly. Twilight started to speak, but Celestia cut her off. “They must be delivered safely, or other star systems will suffer the same fate as Alderaan. Your destiny lies along a different path than mine. The Force will be with you, always.” She adjusted the lightsaber on her belt and silently trotted out of the command office, disappearing down a long hallway. Spike barked a comment, and Rainbow nodded in agreement.

“Boy, you said it, Spike,” she said. She turned to Twilight. “Where did you dig up that old fossil?”

“Celestia is a great mare!” Twilight shot back.

“Yeah, great at getting us into trouble,” Rainbow said sarcastically.

“I didn't hear you give any ideas,” Twilight returned.

“Well, anything would be better than just hanging around waiting for her to pick us up,” Rainbow said back.

“Who do you think--” Twilight began. She was interrupted by Pinkie, who began to whistle and beep. “What is it?” she asked.

“I'm afraid I'm not quite sure, sir,” Applejack replied. “She says 'I found her', and keeps repeating 'She's here'.”

“Well, who has she found?” Twilight asked. Pinkie beeped a reply.

“Princess Rarity,” Applejack responded.

“The princess? She's here?” Twilight asked, excited.

“Princess?” Rainbow asked. “What's going on?”

“Level five,” Applejack read from the screen. “Detention block A A-twenty-three. I'm afraid she's scheduled ta be terminated.”

“Oh no!” Twilight exclaimed. “We've got to do something!”

“What are you talking about?” Rainbow asked, annoyed.

“The droid belongs to her,” Twilight explained. “She's the one in the message. We've got to help her.”

“Now look, don't get any funny ideas,” Rainbow said back. “The old mare wants us to wait right here.”

“But she didn't know the princess was here,” Twilight argued. “Look, will you just find a way back into the detention block?”

“I'm not going anywhere,” Rainbow said firmly.

“They're going to execute her!” Twilight pleaded. “Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here to be captured. Now all you want to do is stay?”

“Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind,” Rainbow shot back.

“But they're going to kill her!” Twilight implored.

“Better her than me,” Rainbow said coldly. Twilight's eyes fell. Suddenly, she looked back at Rainbow.

“She's rich,” Twilight said, coaxingly.

“Rich?” Rainbow asked, confused.

“Yes,” Twilight continued. “Rich and powerful. Listen, if you were to rescue her, the reward would be--”

“What?” Rainbow asked, intrigued.

“Well, more wealth than you can imagine,” Twilight replied.

“I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit!” Rainbow said sarcastically.

“You'll get it,” Twilight assured.

“I'd better,” Rainbow said back.

“You will,” Twilight reassured.

“All right, kid,” Rainbow consigned. “But you'd better be right about this.” She looked over at Spike, who grunted. “What's your plan?”

“Uh, Applejack, toss me those binders, will you?” Twilight asked. Applejack handed Twilight a pair of electronic hoofcuffs and she began to move toward Spike. “Okay, now I'm going to put these on you.” Spike let out a hideous growl. “Okay, Rainbow, you put them on,” she said as she sheepishly handed the cuffs to Dash.

“Don't worry, Spike, I think I know what she has in mind,” Rainbow said. A frightened look grew over the dragon's face as Rainbow bound his hands with the electronic cuffs.

“Master Twilight, uh, pardon me fer askin, but, ah, what should Pinkie and I do if we're discovered here?” Applejack asked nervously.

“Lock the door,” Twilight replied.

“And hope they don't have guns,” Rainbow added.

“That ain't very reassurin,” Applejack muttered. Twilight put her helmet back on as she and Rainbow escorted Spike out into the halls of the Death Star.


Rainbow and Twilight tried to look inconspicuous as they waited for a vacuum elevator to arrive. Troops, bureaucrats, and droids milled about, only some stopping to give the giant dragon a curious glance. Finally, the elevator arrived, and the trio shuffled into it.

As several Imperial officers marched down the wide passageway, a passing flash of a mare appeared, then disappeared down a small hallway. Celestia's appearance was so fleeting that it was hard to tell if she was real, or just an illusion, and nopony in the hallway seemed to notice her.

As the elevator doors slid open, Rainbow leaned over and whispered to Twilight,

“This is not going to work,”

“Why didn't you say so before?” Twilight asked sarcastically.

“I did say so before!” Rainbow shot back. The trio was met by a tall, grim-looking officer.

“Where are you taking this... thing?” the officer asked, disgusted. Spike growled, but Rainbow nudged him to be quiet.

“Prisoner transfer from Block one-one-three-eight,” Twilight said calmly.

“I wasn't notified,” the officer replied sceptically. “I'll have to clear it.” As the officer walked to his console, punching in numbers, Twilight and Rainbow quickly scanned the area, checking all of the alarms and camera eyes. Rainbow unfastened one of Spike's cuffs, and he threw up his hands with a loud roar.

“Look out, he's loose!” Rainbow shouted.

“He's going to tear us apart!” Twilight added. The startled guards were momentarily dumbfounded as Twilight and Rainbow pulled out their pistols and started firing. Their shots purposely missed Spike, instead hitting the cameras, gate controls, and the Imperial guards. Rainbow rushed to the comlink system, which was screeching questions. She quickly checked the computer readout.

“We've got to find out which cell this princess of yours is in,” Rainbow said as she typed. “Here it is...cell twenty-one-eight-seven. You go get her. I'll hold them here.” Twilight raced down a corridor as Rainbow spoke into the buzzing comlink. “Everything is under control. Situation normal,” she said, trying to sound official.

“What happened?” the voice asked.

“Uh...had a slight weapons malfunction,” Rainbow replied nervously. “But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?”

“We're sending a squad up,” the voice said back.

“Uh, uh, negative,” Rainbow said, her voice starting to break. “We had a reactor leak here now. Give us a few minutes to lock it down. Large leak...very dangerous.”

“Who is this?” the voice asked. “What's your operating number?” Rainbow drew her pistol and fired into the comlink, destroying it.

“Boring conversation anyway,” she muttered. “Twilight!” she yelled down the hall. “We're going to have company!” Twilight stopped in front of a cell, firing at the lock with her pistol. As the door opened, Twilight saw the dazzling young princess senator. She had been sleeping, and was staring with an uncomprehending look on her face. Twilight, stunned, stood motionless, until Rarity broke the silence.

“Aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper?” she asked sarcastically. Twilight shook herself back into reality, removing her helmet.

“Oh, the uniform,” she said as she wiped the sweat from her brow. “I'm Twilight Sparkle. I'm here to rescue you.”

“You're who?” Rarity asked, confused.

“I'm here to rescue you,” Twilight repeated. “I've got your Astromech unit. I'm here with Celestia.”

“Celestia is here?!” Rarity called out in shock. “Where is she?”

“Come on!” Twilight said as she took the princess's hoof and trotted out of the cell.


Nightmare Moon anxiously paced the floor of the large conference room as Governor Toity sat at the end of the table.

“She is here...” Moon muttered.

“General Celestia?” Toity asked sceptically. “What makes you think so?”

“A tremor in the Force,” Moon replied as she continued to pace. “The last time I felt it was in the presence of my old master.”

“Surely she must be dead by now,” Toity said back.

“Don't underestimate the power of the Force,” Moon retorted.

“The Jedi are extinct,” Toity said, turning to look at Moon. “Their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.” The conversation was broken by the buzzing of a comlink. “Yes?” Toity spoke into the device.

“Governor Toity,” the voice replied, “we have an emergency alert in detention block A A-twenty-three.”

“The princess!” Toity shouted in realization. “Put all sections on alert!”

“Celestia is here,” Moon said, turning to Toity. “The Force is with her.”

“If you're right, she must not be allowed to escape,” Toity replied.

“Escape is not her plan,” Moon said, turning. “I must face her alone.”


An ominous buzzing sound grew louder from the elevator shaft as Rainbow and Spike crouched behind the service desk.

“Get behind me, Spike!” Rainbow called as the elevator door began to open. Imperial troops poured in through the shaft as Rainbow and Spike emerged, their weapons drawn. They fired at the mass of soldiers, ducking behind the wrecked desk to avoid being hit themselves. As more soldiers began to amass in the room, Spike reared back his head, letting loose a bright stream of flames from his mouth. As the fire spread, he and Rainbow turned to run down the hallway, where they found Twilight and Rarity. “Not that way!” Rainbow exclaimed as she skidded to a stop.

“Looks like you managed to cut off our only escape route,” Rarity replied sarcastically.

“Maybe you'd like it back in your cell, your Highness,” Rainbow shot back. Twilight pulled a comlink out of her belt and began to speak into it.

“Applejack! Applejack, come in!” she shouted.

“Yes sir,” Applejack's voice responded through the comlink.

“We've been cut off!” Twilight exclaimed. “Are there any other ways out of the cell bay?” An unintelligible noise answered her. “What was that? I didn't copy!” Applejack nervously paced back and forth in the control center as Pinkie beeped and whistled at the computer.

“I said, all systems have been alerted to your presence, sir,” Applejack repeated into the comlink. “The main entrance seems to be the only way in or out. All other info on your level is restricted.” She stopped as she heard a loud banging on the door.

“Open up in there!” a voice called.

Twilight and Rarity crouched together in an alcove as they exchanged fire with the troops who had moved past the blaze.

“There isn't any other way out,” Twilight announced.

“I can't hold em off forever!” Rainbow shouted as she fired at the troopers. “Now what?”

“This is some rescue,” Rarity muttered. “When you came in here, didn't you have a plan for getting out?”

“She's the brains, sweetheart,” Rainbow said, pointing at Twilight. Rarity turned, grabbing Twilight's gun and firing at a grate in the wall, barely missing Rainbow.

“The hell are you doing?!” Rainbow yelled after leaping back in surprise.

“Somepony has to save our hides,” Rarity said as she made her way to the grate. “Into the garbage chute.” She leaped through the opening as Spike and Rainbow looked on in bewilderment. Spike lowered his head, took a sniff, and backed up, growling.

“Get in there, you big, scaly oaf!” Rainbow said as she shoved Spike into the chute. “I don't care what you smell, get in there and don't worry about it!” The huge dragon disappeared down the chute as Twilight made her way across the hall, firing at the approaching troops. “Wonderful girl,” Rainbow muttered as she fired. “Either I'm going to kill her, or I'm beginning to like her.” A cocky grin grew across her face. “Get in there!” she yelled as Twilight ducked into the chute. Rainbow fired off a few more shots before sliding into the chute herself. She tumbled into a large room filled with muck and garbage. Twilight was already up, trying to find an exit. She struggled with a small hatchway, but it refused to budge. “Oh, the garbage chute was a really wonderful idea,” Rainbow droned sarcastically. “What an incredible smell you've discovered! Let's get out of here. Move, Twilight.” She drew her pistol and fired at the hatch. The laser bolt ricocheted off of the door, bouncing wildly across the small metal room. Everyone ducked for cover in the garbage as the bolt finally came to rest in the muck. Rarity climbed out of the garbage, a rather grim look on her face.

“I already tried,” Twilight said. “It's magnetically sealed.”

“Will you put that thing away?” Rarity hissed at Rainbow. “You're going to get us all killed.”

“Absolutely, your worship,” Rainbow said snidely as she holstered her gun. “Look, I had everything under control until you lead us down here. You know, it's not going to take them long to figure out what happened to us.”

“It could be worse,” Rarity said back. Suddenly, an unponylike moan made its way up from the murky depths. Spike let out a howl, backing up to the wall. Rainbow and Twilight drew their weapons, scanning the muck.

“It's worse,” Rainbow muttered.

“There's something alive in here!” Twilight called out. “Something just moved past my hoof! Look! Did you see that?”

“What--” Rainbow was interrupted as Twilight disappeared beneath the garbage.

“Help!” she cried before her head went under.

“Twilight!” Rainbow shouted as she leaped to the ground, reaching her hooves into the muck. Rarity grabbed a long metal rod, extending it into the garbage.

“Twilight, grab a hold of this!” she called. Twilight's head burst to the surface. She gasped for air and frantically shouted,

“Shoot it, will you?!” A slimy tentacle wrapped around her throat, pulling her back into the grimy depths. Rainbow drew her gun and fired down into the garbage. Suddenly, the walls began to shake, moving in a few inches. Rainbow and Rarity exchanged a worried glance as Spike howled in the corner. With a rush of bubbles, Twilight bobbed to the surface, gasping for breath.

“Grab her!” Rarity called as she rushed to Twilight, helping her to her hooves. “What happened?”

“I don't know,” Twilight stammered. “It just let go of me and disappeared.”

“I've got a very bad feeling about this,” Rainbow muttered. Suddenly, the walls began to rumble and shake, inching slowly inward.

“The walls are moving!” Twilight shouted.

“Don't just stand there,” Rarity called out, grabbing a pole. “Try to brace it with something.” The three mares scrambled through the garbage, placing metal beams and poles between the two walls, though they began to bend and snap under the pressure of the huge walls.

“Wait a minute,” Twilight said as she pulled out her comlink. “Applejack! Come in Applejack! Applejack!” There was no response. “Where could she be?” Twilight called out in disbelief.

The small comlink rested on the deserted computer console as Twilight's frantic voice called out through it. Suddenly, a huge explosion blew away the sealed door, and a group of armed troopers marched into the room. One of the troopers opened a cabinet, where Applejack and Pinkie hid, curled up.

“They're madmen!” Applejack cried as she was pulled out into the office. “They're headin for the prison level. If ya hurry, ya might just catch em.” The lead trooper turned to his men.

“Follow me,” he ordered. “You stand guard,” he said to one of the troopers, and he marched out into the hallway, followed by the others. Applejack and Pinkie began to move toward the door, and the guard aimed his blaster at them.

“Oh, all this excitement has overrun the circuits of my counterpart here,” Applejack explained. “If ya don't mind, I'd like to take her down to maintenance.”

“All right,” the guard said as Applejack led Pinkie out of the room.

As the walls rumbled closer and closer, the mares struggled to brace them. Spike desperately pushed against the wall, but to no avail. Twilight still frantically called into the comlink, trying to reach Applejack.

“Get to the top!” Rainbow yelled as the poles and beams snapped around her.

“I can't!” Rarity shouted, trying to keep from sinking beneath the muck.

“Where could she be?” Twilight shouted in desperation. “Applejack! Applejack, will you come in?!”

Applejack and Pinkie stopped at a service panel.

“They ain't here,” Applejack said to Pinkie, worried. “Somethin musta happened to em. See if they've been captured.” Pinkie extended her hoof and plugged it into the terminal, spewing electronic sounds.

“The walls had shrunk to only a few feet apart. Rainbow and Rarity lie with their backs to the wall, panting heavily. Small tears began to form in the corner of Rarity's eyes as her lip began to quiver. She looked over at Rainbow, then reached out, grabbing her hoof and holding it tightly. Rainbow swallowed a lump in her throat as she felt the wall began to press on her.

“One thing's for sure, we're all going to be a lot thinner,” she said as she looked down. She reached over, grabbing Rarity and hoisting her upwards. “Get on top of it!”

“I'm trying!” Rarity shouted as she scrambled to get a hold on the wall.

“Thank goodness,” Applejack said as Pinkie unplugged herself from the panel. “They haven't found em. Where could they be?” Pinkie beeped a reply. “Use the comlink? Oh my, I forgot!” Applejack rushed back to the other room.

Twilight lay on her side, trying to keep her head above the muck. Her comlink began to buzz and she ripped it off of her belt.

“Are you there, sir?” Applejack said into the comlink.

“Applejack!” the comlink buzzed, muffled.

“We've had some problems--” Applejack was cut off by the desperate voice.

“Will you shut up and listen to me? Shut down all the trash compactors on the detention level! Do you copy?” Pinkie already had her hoof in the computer as she began to work, her lights flashing.

“Shut em all down! Hurry!” Applejack called out. Suddenly, the sound from the comlink became unintelligible as a sound of screaming echoed out of it. “Listen to em,” Applejack said, putting her hoof to her head. “They're dyin, Pinkie! Curse my metal body! I wasn't fast enough. It's all my fault! My poor master!” Her laments were interrupted by a joyous voice from the comlink.

“Applejack! We're alright!”

The walls had stopped moving, and everyone was shouting in joyous relief. Rainbow, Rarity, and Spike embraced as Twilight spoke into the comlink, a huge grin on her face.

“We're alright,” she said again. “You did great. Hey—hey, open the pressure maintenance hatch on unit number—where are we?”

Celestia entered a humming service trench powering the huge tractor beam. The old Jedi made her way across the narrow ledge to a terminal, where she began typing, causing several lights to flash red. After finishing her work, she slinked away, unseen, just as quietly as she'd entered.

The group stumbled out of the garbage room into a dusty, empty hallway. Twilight and Rainbow stripped off their mucky stormtrooper suits, strapping on the utility belts.

“Well, let's get moving,” Twilight said, turning away. Suddenly, the slimy tentacle shot out of the room, wrapping around Twilight's hoof and pulling her back. On reflex, Rainbow whipped out her pistol.

“No, wait! They'll hear!” Rarity shouted, but Rainbow had already fired. The tentacle quickly shrunk back into the room as Twilight got back to her hooves. Rarity shook her head in disgust. “Listen, I don't know who you are, or where you came from, but from now on, you'll do as I tell you. Okay?” Rainbow was taken aback at the petite girl's commanding voice.

“Look, your worshipfullness,” Rainbow shot back. “Let's get one thing straight! I take orders from one person! Me!”

“It's a wonder you're still alive,” Rarity replied as she trotted down the hall. Rainbow shot a glance at Twilight.

“No reward is worth this,” she muttered as she followed the princess.

A door slid open and Celestia crouched in the shadows as a detachment of stormtroopers marched to the trench.

“Secure this area until the alert is canceled,” an officer ordered.

“Do you know what's going on?” one stormtrooper asked.

“Maybe it's another drill,” a second replied. Celestia mover her way around the tractor beam, watching as the stormtroopers turned their backs to her. She waved her hoof, and the troopers turned to a hallway, convinced they had heard a sound. Silently, Celestia slipped past the troopers and into the main hallway.

Twilight, Rainbow, Rarity, and Spike galloped down an empty hallway and stopped before a bay window overlooking the pirateship. Troopers milled about as Twilight took out her comlink. Rainbow gazed wistfully at her ship.

“There she is,” she said to herself.

“Applejack, do you copy?” Twilight asked into the comlink.

“For the moment,” the voice replied. “Uh, we're in the main hangar across from your ship.”

“We're right above you,” Twilight said back. “Stand by.”

“You came in that thing?” Rarity asked, pointing at the ship. “You're braver than I thought.” Rainbow shot her a dirty look and the group started off down the hallway. As they rounded a corner, they came face-to-face with a battalion of stormtroopers. Both groups stopped in their tracks, taken by surprise. Before even thinking, Rainbow drew her pistol and charged at the troops, firing at them. Spike followed after his captain, bashing into troopers and throwing them across the hall.

“Get back to the ship!” Rainbow turned and shouted at Twilight and Rarity.

“Where are you going?” Twilight called, but Rainbow had already rounded the corner.

“She certainly has courage,” Rarity remarked.

“What good will it do us if she gets herself killed?” Twilight said back. “Come on!” The two mares galloped down the hallway, heading toward the starship hangar.

Rainbow chased the stormtroopers down a long hallway, yelling and brandishing her pistol. The troops reached a dead end and turned, firing back. Rainbow's determined look began to fade as she realized just how outnumbered she was. She leaped backward as the soldiers began to fire at her. Spike ran down the hallway, trying to catch up with his bold captain. As he rounded a corner, he was nearly bowled over by Rainbow, who was flying down the hallway for her life. Spike let out a stream of fire in the direction of the troopers before turning to follow her.

Twilight fired wildly as she and Rarity raced down the hallway, chased by several troopers. They stopped as they reached the edge of a retracted bridge, spanning a pit that seemed to go on to infinity. Twilight, not paying attention, almost tumbled into the pit, and Rarity grabbed hold of her tail, pulling her back.

“I think we took a wrong turn,” Twilight said, gasping. Blasts from the hallway shook Twilight back into reality, and she began to fire back into the opening. Rarity flipped a switch, lowering a massive metal door separating them from the hallway. Laserfire began to pelt the door.

“There's no lock!” Rarity cried as she scanned the control panel. Twilight fired at it with her pistol.

“That oughta hold it for a while,” she said, holstering her weapon.

“We've got to get across,” Rarity said. “Find the control that extend the bridge.

“Oh, I think I just blasted it,” Twilight said, embarassed. Ominous pounding and drilling sounds echoed from behind the door.

“They're coming through!” Rarity called out. Twilight began to go through the belt she had taken from the stormtrooper's uniform. She handed Rarity her gun as she pulled out a thin, nylon cable from the belt. A metal hook was tied to the other end. As Twilight worked with the rope, Rarity began to fire at a trooper who had appeared on an overhanging ledge. Suddenly, the door began to slide open, revealing the hooves of the troopers on the other side. “Here they come!” Rarity yelled as she fired, hitting another trooper from a ledge. Twilight hurled the rope across the gaping pit, wrapping the hook around an outcropping of pipes. She tugged on the rope before grabbing Rarity up in her hooves. Rarity looked up at Twilight, then gave her a quick peck on the cheek, taking her by surprise. “For luck,” Rarity said as Twilight leaped from the ledge. The two swung across the treacherous abyss and landed safely on the other side. As the door opened, the troopers fired at the escaping mares, but they had already begun to gallop down the hallway.

Celestia hid in the shadows of the narrow passage as several stormtroopers galloped past her. After checking to make sure they had gone, Celestia disappeared down the hall in the opposite direction. A large, black figure appeared behind the troopers, following the old mare down the hall.

Applejack paced nervously, watching the troopers as they milled about the ship.

“Where could they be?” she muttered to herself. Pinkie, plugged into a socket, beeped a response.

Rainbow and Spike flew down a long corridor with several troopers hot on their trail.

“Close the blast doors!” a trooper called out. At the end of the hallway, large doors began to close in front of them. The young pegasus and her dragon companion flew faster down the path, their wings beating heavily behind them. They slipped through the doors just before they closed, and blaster fire echoed from behind them. “Open the blast doors! Open the blast doors!” the trooper called.

Celestia hurried down the tunnel leading to the hangar where the pirateship waited. Just before reaching the hangar, her path was blocked by a fearsome, black figure. Nightmare Moon stepped out of the darkness, lighting her blood-red lightsaber. Celestia lit hers as well, and slowly trotted forward.

“I've been waiting for you, Celestia,” Moon said pensively. “We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete.” Celestia moved elegantly into an offensive position. “When I left you, I was but the learner. Now, I am the master.”

“Only a master of evil, Moon,” Celestia replied. The two warriors stood perfectly still. Sweat formed on Celestia's brow, her breathing becoming heavier. She shook her head, trying to clear her eyes. She made a sudden lunge at the huge warrior, but Moon deftly stepped aside, swinging her blade. Celestia brought up her own weapon, blocking the strike. She spun around and attacked, but Moon countered. The two Jedi masters circled each other, swinging and blocking with their weapons as they danced about the hallway. They stopped, motionless as their swords connected in the air, creating a cackling buzz.

“Your powers are weak, old mare,” Moon said as she pressed with her weapon.

“You can't win, Moon,” Celestia said back. “If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.” The two blades pulled apart as the warriors continued their battle.

Rainbow Dash and Spike, their weapons in hand, leaned against the wall, surveying the hangar. Twilight and Rarity silently trotted up next to them.

“What kept you?” Rainbow asked as they caught their breath.

“We ran into some old friends,” Rarity replied, panting.

“Is the ship alright?” Twilight asked.

“Seems okay, if we can get to it,” Rainbow replied. “Just hope the old mare got the tractor beam out of commission.”

Celestia and Nightmare Moon continued their powerful duel. Lightning flashed as the lightsabers crashed together. Troopers looked on in interest as the old Jedi and Dark Lord battled. Suddenly, Twilight spotted the fight from her vantage point.

“Look!” she cried as the others turned to see the two mares emerging from the hallway and into the docking bay. As the troopers began to wander closer to the fight, Applejack began to sneak over towards the ship.

“Come on, Pinkie-Pie, we're going,” she called as the tiny pink droid followed. Dash, Spike, Twilight, and Rarity tensely watched the duel as the troopers rushed toward the battling knights.

“Now's our chance!” Rainbow whispered loudly. “Go!” The group rushed toward the Wonderbolt. As she fought, Celestia realized that she was surrounded by troops. Moon took advantage of her momentary distraction and brought her sword down hard. Celestia was barely able to deflect the blow. She turned to see Twilight, who had nearly made her way into the ship. Celestia turned back to Moon, a serene look on her soft face. Moon brought down her sword, piercing the old mare's flesh. As Celestia collapsed on the ground, her long, flowing mane spilled in a pool around her white face. A trickle of blood leaked out of the corner of her mouth. Moon lowered her sword triumphantly. Tears began to form in Twilight's eyes as she watched the old mare fall.

“No!” she shouted in disbelief. The stormtroopers turned, noticing her, and began to fire. Transfixed by anger, Twilight began madly firing back, blinded by the tears that streamed down her face.

“Come on!” Rainbow called from inside of the ship.

“Come on, Twilight! It's too late!” Rarity added. Rainbow began to aide Twilight in firing at the troops as the two made their way up the ramp. As she madly fired, Twilight heard a voice that sounded eerily similar to Celestia's.

“Run, Twilight! Run!” the voice echoed. Twilight wiped her eyes, looking around for the source of the voice, but she saw nothing but Rainbow, who was making her way up the ramp. Twilight raced after her, and the ramp began to lift up into the ship. Rainbow pulled back on the controls as the ship began to move, the dull thud of laser bolts bouncing off the outside of the ship.

“I hope the old mare got that tractor beam out of commission, or this is gonna be a real short trip!” Rainbow said as she piloted the ship through the docking bay doors. The Wonderbolt made a sharp turn, disappearing out of the Death Star and into the void of space.

Twilight stared off blankly at a wall, sniffling and drying her eyes as the memory of her teacher's death played back in her mind. She struggled to hold back more tears from forming. Rarity draped a blanket around her shoulders, and she turned to look up at the beautiful white mare. Rarity sat down beside her, nuzzling her cheek. The two mares sat together in silence, until their moment was broken by a call from the cockpit.

“We're coming up on the sentry ships,” Rainbow said to Spike. “Hold em off! Angle the deflector shields while I charge up the main guns!” Twilight stared at the floor, shaking her head back and forth.

“I can't believe she's gone,” Twilight said, her voice groggy from the tears. Pinkie beeped a reply.

“There wasn't anything you could have done,” Rarity said back, putting her hoof around Twilight's shoulder. Twilight sighed in response. Rainbow trotted into the hold, breaking their moment.

“Come on, buddy,” she said to Twilight. “We're not out of this yet!” Rainbow climbed into her chair in the topside gunport, and Twilight followed to the other port as Rarity made her way into the cockpit. As Twilight settled into the chair, she put on the headset and heard Rainbow's voice. “You in, kid?” she asked. “Stay sharp!” Spike and Rarity scanned the skies for oncoming TIE fighters as readouts began to form on Rainbow's screen.

“Here they come,” Rarity announced as several TIE fighters came into view. The fighters let loose a barrage of laser fire as they passed by the large pirateship. Rainbow fired her weapons, downing a few of the tiny fighters. Twilight struggled with the controls as a fighter whizzed past her field of view.

“They're coming in too fast!” she shouted as she tried to keep up. A laserbolt struck the cockpit, causing it to shake wildly. Spike let out a roar as he tried to regain his balance. As another volley of fire struck the side of the ship, Applejack lurched forward, tumbling into a cabinet of computer parts. Rarity scrutinized a computer readout as Spike manipulated the ship's controls.

“We've lost lateral controls,” she announced.

“Don't worry, she'll hold together,” Rainbow said back into her headset. “You hear me baby?” Rainbow said to the ship. “Hold together!” Pinkie advanced towards a fire on a smoking control panel, dousing it with flame retardant from her mouth. Twilight swiveled in her turret chair, following a TIE fighter with her laser cannon. As the fighter ducked and weaved around the ship, Twilight and Rainbow frantically fired until one of Rainbow's bolts connected, blasting the ship to pieces. She laughed victoriously. As another group of fighters approached, Twilight gripped the controls of her turret, beads of sweat forming on her forehead. She let loose a volley of fire, destroying one of the ships.

“I got him! I got him!” Twilight yelled excitedly. A grin grew over her tear-stained face.

“Great, kid!” Rainbow replied, smiling. “Don't get cocky!” Rarity turned, watching the marks on the radar's readout.

“There are still two more of them out there!” she called. Rainbow and Twilight followed the two targets and fired, simultaneously destroying the tiny fighters. Twilight began to laugh.

“That's it!” she exclaimed. “We did it!” As the mares leaped from their turret chairs, Applejack lay tangled in a mess of sparking wires on the floor.

“Help! I think I'm meltin!” she called out. Pinkie approached slowly and began to cut the wires. “This is all your fault,” Applejack muttered. Pinkie simply beeped a response as the victorious Wonderbolt flew off into space.


Nightmare Moon silently strode into the control room, where Toity watched the huge view screen.

“Are they away?” he asked, not averting his eyes.

“They have just made the jump into hyperspace,” Moon replied.

“You're sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship?” Toity asked, turning to face her. “I'm taking an awful risk, Moon. This had better work.”


Rainbow, smiling, sat at the controls of the ship. Rarity seated herself next to her, and Spike had climbed up into the aft to check the damage.

“Not a bad bit of rescuing, huh?” Rainbow said triumphantly. “You know, sometimes I even amaze myself.”

“That doesn't sound too hard,” Rarity replied sarcastically. “Besides, they let us go. It's the only explanation for the ease of our escape.” The grin disappeared from Rainbow's face.

“Easy? You call that easy?” she asked, miffed.

“They're tracking us,” Rarity replied.

“Not this ship, sister,” Rainbow shot back. Rarity shook her head in frustration.

“At least the information in Pinkie-Pie is intact,” she said.

“What's so important?” Rainbow asked. “What's she carrying?”

“The technical readouts of that battle station,” Rarity replied. “I only hope that when the data is analyzed, a weakness can be found. It's not over yet!”

“It is for me, sister!” Rainbow shot back. “Look, I ain't in this for your revolution, and I'm not in it for you, Princess. I expect to be well paid. I'm in it for the money!”

“You needn't worry about your reward,” Rarity said, angrily turning away. “If money is all that you love, then that's what you'll receive!” She turned, storming out of the cockpit, passing Twilight as she entered. “Your friend is quite a mercenary,” she said to Twilight as she trotted. “I wonder if she really cares about anything, or anypony.”

“I care,” Twilight said, but the princess had already gone. Twilight shook her head, taking a seat in the copilot chair. She stared out into the blackness of space. “So, what do you think of her, Rainbow?” she asked.

“I'm trying not to, kid,” Rainbow replied. She turned her head, looking at Twilight. “Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I don't know, what do you think? Do you think a princess and a mare like me--”

“No!” Twilight cut her off, trying not to imagine the disturbing image of Rarity and Rainbow Dash together. Rainbow smiled coolly as the ship drifted into orbit around a tiny green moon.


Rotting in a forest of gargantuan trees, an ancient temple lay shrouded in an eerie mist on the tiny moon of Yavin IV. As Rainbow, Twilight, and the others marched through the trees, they were approached by a rebel soldier. He raised his gun, but dropped it when he spotted Rarity, trotting up and embracing her.

“You're safe!” the soldier cried. “We had feared the worst.” The soldier composed himself, stepping back and bowing. “When we heard about Alderaan, we were afraid that you were... lost along with your father.”

“We don't have time for our sorrows, Commander,” Rarity replied. “The battle station has surely tracked us here.” She gave Rainbow a sideways glance. “It's the only explanation for the ease of our escape. You must use the information in this Astromech unit to plan the attack. It is our only hope.”


Nightmare Moon and Grand Moff Toity were interrupted in their discussion by the buzz of a comlink. Toity moved to answer the call.

“Yes?” he asked into the device.

“We are approaching the planet Yavin,” the voice reported back. “The Rebel base is on a moon on the far side. We are preparing to orbit the planet.” A sickening grin grew over Toity's face as he turned off the comlink and trotted to the huge window, looking out at the red planet of Yavin.


Inside of the crumbling temple, General Octavia, a tall, striking grey mare, stood before a large electronic wall display. Rarity and several other senators sat in a semi-circle around the display, carefully listening to the Rebel General as she spoke.

“The battle station is heavily shielded and carries a firepower greater that half the starfleet,” she announced, pacing in front of the screen. “Its defenses are designed around a direct large-scale assault. A small one-pony fighter should be able to penetrate the outer defense.” A rough looking soldier in his early thirties stood, addressing Octavia.

“Pardon me for asking, sir, but what good are snub-fighters going to be against that?”

“Well,” Octavia replied, “the Empire doesn't consider a small one-pony fighter to be any threat, or they'd have a tighter defense. An analysis of the plans provided by Princess Rarity has demonstrated a weakness in the battle station.” Pinkie began to beep softly as Octavia mentioned this. “The approach will not be easy,” Octavia continued. “You are required to maneuver straight down this trench and skim the surface to this point,” she said, pointing at the display on the screen. “The target area is only two meters wide. It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The shaft leads directly into the reactor system. A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy the station.” A murmur of disbelief began to run through the room. “Only a precise hit will set up a chain reaction,” Octavia repeated. “The shaft is ray-shielded, so you'll have to use proton torpedoes.” Twilight sat next to a young white colt with a striking blue mane. He stood up, addressing Octavia.

“That's impossible, even for a computer,” the colt said. Octavia shot a glare at the colt, and he sheepishly sunk back into his seat.

“It's not impossible,” Twilight whispered to the colt. “I used to bulls-eye womp rats in my T-sixteen back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.” The colt gave a little shrug as Octavia addressed the crowd again.

“Man your ships!” she called as the group began to rise. “And may the Force be with you!”


The Death Star began its orbit around the huge planet toward the tiny green moon. Toity and Moon watched the projected screen with interest.

“Orbiting the planet at maximum velocity,” an automated voice came over the loudspeaker. “Yavin IV will be in range in thirty minutes.”

“This will be a day long remembered,” Moon said as she watched the screen with intent. “It has seen the end of Celestia, and it will soon see the end of the Rebellion.”


As the group left the briefing room for the hangar, the white colt trotted to keep up with Twilight.

“Are you serious?” he asked, referencing her earlier comment. “In a T-sixteen?”

“Of course,” Twilight said with a little laugh. “They don't call me the best pilot east of Mos Eisley for nothing!” The colt grinned.

“I'm Skybuck, by the way,” he said. “Skybuck Antilles.”

“Well, hotshot, I'm Twilight Sparkle,” she replied, extending her hoof. A goofy grin grew over Skybuck's face as he shook it. “I gotta go,” Twilight said, turning down a hall. “May the Force be with you!” she called as she trotted away. Skybuck stood, transfixed on the cute purple mare, before shaking himself back to reality. He trotted down a hallway to the hangar, giving her one last glance before leaving.

Twilight entered the huge starship hangar and trotted to an isolated area, where Rainbow and Spike loaded boxes aboard their ship. Twilight's smile disappeared as her friend prepared to leave.

“So, you got your reward and you're just leaving then?” she asked.

“That's right,” Rainbow replied. “I got some old debts I've got to pay off with this stuff. Even if I didn't, you don't think I'd be fool enough to stick around here, do you? Why don't you come with us? You're pretty good in a fight. I could use you.” Twilight's face heated as she grew angry at Rainbow's words.

“Come on! Why don't you take a look around?” she shouted. “You know what's about to happen, what they're up against. They could use a good pilot like you. You're turning your back on them!”

“What good's a reward if you ain't around to use it?” Rainbow shot back. “Besides,” she said, her voice softening a bit, “attacking that battle station ain't my idea of courage. It's more like suicide.”

“All right,” Twilight replied, still miffed. “Well, take care of yourself, Rainbow. I guess that's what you're best at, isn't it?” Twilight turned, trotting away from the ship. Rainbow sighed and called out,

“Hey, Twilight!” She turned to look at Rainbow. “May the Force be with you!” Rainbow called. Twilight couldn't help but grin a little as she walked out of the hangar.

Twilight entered a room where Rarity and Octavia sat, planning. Rarity noticed the look of sadness on her face and asked,

“What's wrong?”

“Oh, it's Rainbow,” Twilight replied, sighing. “I don't know, I really thought she'd change her mind.”

“She's got to follow her own path,” Rarity said back. “Nopony can choose it for her.”

“I only wish Celestia were here,” Twilight said, lowering her head. As she got up to leave, Rarity gave her a little kiss on the cheek, then trotted off. Twilight headed back to the hangar, toward her ship, when she was suddenly lifted up from behind. She struggled, then stopped as she felt a soft pair of lips press against hers. Twilight closed her eyes, leaning into the kiss that she recognized. As he pulled back, Macintosh gently lowered Twilight to her feet.

“Twilight!” he exclaimed. “I don't believe it! How'd you get here? Are you going with us?”

“Macintosh!” Twilight squealed. “Of course I'll be up there with you! Listen, have I got some stories to tell--” She was cut off by a rugged stallion in his forties.

“Are you... Twilight Sparkle?” the stallion asked. “Have you been checked out on the Incom T-sixty-five?”

“Sir, Twilight is the best bushpilot in the outer rim territories,” Macintosh said, putting an arm around her shoulder.

“I met your mother once when I was just a boy,” the stallion said to Twilight. “She was a great pilot. You'll do alright. If you've got half of your mother's skill, you'll do better than alright.”

“Thank you, sir,” Twilight blushed. “I'll try” The stallion hurried to his own ship, the ship of the Red Leader. Macintosh turned to Twilight.

“I've got to get aboard,” he said. “Listen, you'll tell me your stories when we come back. Alright?” Twilight wrapped her arms around him, nuzzling her cheek against his strong chest.

“I told you I'd make it someday,” she whispered into his ear. Macintosh pulled her in, giving her another long kiss. He slowly ran his hoof through her flowing mane as they stood, their lips locked in a lover's embrace. As they broke off, he gently caressed her soft cheek with his hoof.

“You sure did, all right,” he said, gazing into her deep, purple eyes. After one final embrace, he turned, climbing into his ship. Twilight headed off to her own ship, a sloppy grin plastered across her face. As she climbed the ladder, a crew chief pointed at little Pinkie-Pie, who was being hoisted into a socket on the back of the fighter.

“This Astromech of yours seems a bit beat up,” the crew chief called. “Do you want a new one?”

“Not on your life!” Twilight laughed. “That little droid and I have been through a lot together.” Pinkie beeped a response. Applejack watched below as Pinkie was bolted into the ship.

“Hang on tight, Pinkie,” she called. “You've gotta come back.” Pinkie beeped in agreement. “You wouldn't want my life ta get boring, would you?” As the final preparations were put on Twilight's ship, she settled down into the seat, testing the controls. She slipped her headset on, adjusting it. As she peered out at the hangar, she heard a voice.

“Twilight, the Force will be with you,” the voice said, eerily similar to Celestia's. Confused, Twilight tapped at her headphones, but heard nothing but static.


The Death Star moved slowly behind the massive yellow surface of Yavin as many X-wing fighters flew in formation toward the ship. Light from the distant sun created an eerie glow as the fighters neared the battle station. In his cockpit, Red Leader lowered his visor, adjusting his gun sights.

“All wings, report in,” he said through his headset.

“Red Ten standing by,” a voice responded.

“Red Seven standing by.”

“Red Three standing by,” Macintosh's voice announced.

“Red Six standing by.”

“Red Nine standing by.” Skybuck squirmed in his seat.

“Red Two standing by,” he called eagerly.

“Red Eleven standing by.”

“Red Five standing by,” Twilight said into her headset as she gripped her controls. Pinkie beeped in excitement.

“Lock S-foils in attack position,” Red Leader ordered. The group of X-wings moved closer to the Death Star, unfolding their wings. “We're passing through their magnetic field,” Red Leader announced. “Hold tight!” The fighters flew through space like X-shaped darts. Skybuck gasped in awe as the huge Death Star came into view.

“Look at the size of that thing!” he said, excited.

“Cut the chatter, Red Two,” came Red Leader's reply. “Accelerate to attack speed. This is it!” As they approached the Imperial fortress, they saw as several small lights blinked in thin lies along the parameter of the station. It appeared almost like a city at night. As the squads of rebel fighters peeled off, laserbolts streaked through the star-filled sky. The massive station aimed its laser turrets at the ships, returning the fire. As the X-wings zipped back and forth, skimming the surface of the station, Twilight nose-dived, starting her attack on the monstrous fortress.

“This is Red Five,” she announced. “I'm going in!” Laserbolts streaked from Twilight's weapons as she fired at the surface, causing small explosions.

“Twi, pull up!” Macintosh's voice came over the headset. Twilight pulled back on her controls, trying to avoid the fireball of explosions. She streaked through the fire, her wings slightly scorched. “Are you alright?” Macintosh asked. Twilight adjusted her controls, breathing a sigh of relief.

“I got a little cooked, but I'm okay,” she replied. The fighters continued to strafe the Death Star's surface with laserbolts. Inside the station, walls buckled and caved in. Troops and equipment were blown in all directions as stormtroopers staggered out of the rubble. Standing in the middle of the chaos, a vision of calm and foreboding, was Nightmare Moon. An officer galloped up to her.

“We count thirty Rebel ships, Lord Moon,” he announced. “But they're so small, they're evading our turbo lasers!”

“We'll have to destroy them ship by ship,” Moon replied calmly. “Get the crews to their fighters.” Smoke belched from the giant laser guns as the wind whipped up from the turbine generators. Outside, Red Leader flew through a heavy hail of flak.

“Twilight, let me know when you're going in,” he called over the headset. His X-wing flew past Twilight's as he put his nose down, starting an attack dive.

“I'm on my way in now,” Twilight responded as she flung her X-wing into a twisting dive across the horizon and down into the dim, grey surface. A shot hurled from Twilight's guns, causing several radar emplacements to erupt in flame. Flak thundered on all sides as a big smile swept over her face. Inside the station, star pilots galloped in unison to a line of Imperial TIE fighters.

Princess Rarity paced nervously before a lighted computer table. Technicians worked on all sides of the lighted table. Octavia watched quietly from one corner. One of the officers began to speak into his headset.

“Squad leaders, we've picked up a new group of signals,” he announced. “Enemy fighters coming your way.”

Twilight turned in her seat, trying to spot the approaching fighters.

“My scope's negative, I don't see anything,” she announced. Flak pounded against Red Leader's ship as he searched the skies for the Imperial fighters.

“Keep up your visual scanning,” he ordered. “With all this jamming, they'll be on top of you before your scope can pick them up.” Silhouetted against the rim lights of the Death Star horizon, four ferocious TIE fighters dove on the Rebel fighters. Macintosh's eyes grew wide as he noticed one of the fighters on his tail. He peeled off, hoping to lose the fighter. “Macintosh! You've picked one up!” Red Leader called. “Watch it!”

“I can't see it!” Macintosh yelled nervously. “Where is he?!” Macintosh zoomed off of the surface into space. The fighter followed, firing laserbolts, though Macintosh managed to dodge them. “He's on me tight! I can't shake him!” Macintosh dove towards the Death Star, but the fighter followed, sticking close to his tail. Flying upside-down, Twilight came out of her dive, turning to follow them.

“Hang on, Mac! I'm coming in,” she called to him. Macintosh and the tailing TIE fighter dove for the surface, with Twilight quickly gaining. She fired a shot from her guns as the TIE dove, blasting it into pieces. “Got him!” she exclaimed.

Nightmare Moon strode purposefully down a corridor, flanked by stormtroopers.

“Several fighters have broken off from the main group,” she said as she moved silently across the hallway. “Come with me.”

A concerned Rarity, Applejack, and Octavia stood around the huge readout screen among other Rebel officers, listening to the ship-to-ship communication.

“Pull in!” Macintosh called. “Twi! Pull in!”

“Watch your back, Twilight!” Skybuck added. “Fighter's above you, coming in!” Twilight's ship soared away from the surface as she spotted the tailing TIE fighter. The tiny ship fired, scoring a hit on the side of Twilight's ship. She looked out at the fire that erupted on her wing. Pinkie turned her head from her socket and opened her mouth, dousing the flames in a grey fire retardant.

“I'm hit, but not bad,” Twilight announced into her headset. Rarity stood frozen in the control room as she worried about Twilight. Red Leader's voice came over the loudspeaker.

“Can you see Red Five?” he asked.

“There's a heavy fire zone on this side,” another voice replied. “Red Five, where are you?”

“I can't shake him!” Twilight shouted as she soared away from the station, trying to lose the TIE fighter.

“I'm on him, Twilight!” Skybuck's voice called. “Hold on!” Skybuck rapidly maneuvered his ship around a tight curve, pursuing Twilight.

“Skybuck, where are you?” Twilight yelled frantically. Skybuck and another X-wing let loose a volley of fire, destroying the TIE on Twilight's tail. She sighed in relief. “Thanks, Skybuck.”

“Good shooting, Skybuck,” Macintosh's voice said over the intercom.

“Red Leader,” another voice announced. “This is Gold Leader. We're starting our attack run.” Three Y-wing fighters of the Gold group dove towards the surface.

“Copy, Gold Leader,” Red Leader's voice responded. “Move into position.” As the Gold team dove towards the surface, two TIE fighters emerged from the station, flanking a larger, deadlier looking fighter. Inside its cockpit, Nightmare Moon calmly adjusted her control stick as the stars whipped past in the window above.

“Stay in attack formation,” she ordered to the other fighters.

“The exhaust port is marked and locked in!” Gold Leader announced over the loudspeaker. He maneuvered his ship down into the deep trench circling the station, firing laserbolts. His fire was returned by turrets on the Death Star's surface. As he continued his run, the two other Y-wings followed, blazing away at the surface guns. “Switch power to front deflector screens,” Gold Leader commanded.

“Death Star will be in range in five minutes,” an automated voice announced across the Rebel base. Gold Leader lowered his computer targeting device in front of his eyes. Laserbolts continued to batter the Rebel craft.

“Switching to targeting computer,” he announced. As the fighters approached their target, an eerie quiet fell across the trench as the guns stopped firing. “They're coming in!” Gold Leader called, turning to see the three TIE fighters dive in precise formation after them.

“I'll take them myself,” Moon announced into her headset. “Cover me!”

“Yes sir!” came the reply. The trio zoomed across the surface. Nightmare Moon lined up one of the Y-wings in her sights, firing her guns. The ship exploded into a brilliant fireball as Gold Two was destroyed. Gold Leader looked back at the scene. He began to panic as the fighters gained on him. With another pull of her trigger, Nightmare Moon released a volley of laserfire, incinerating Gold Leader's ship. The last Y-wing, Gold Five, moved into position

“Gold Five to Red Leader,” he announced. “Lost Tiree, lost Dutch. They came in from behind--” He was cut off as one of his engines exploded, blazing out of control. The old stallion closed his eyes as he spiraled to the station's surface, exploding in a blaze of fire. Twilight looked about nervously as she watched the last of Gold Team fall.

Grand Moff Toity stood with an officer in the control room, watching the battle take place.

“We've analyzed their attack, sir, and there is a danger,” the officer reported. “Should I have your ship standing by?”

“Evacuate?” Toity spit through his teeth. “In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!” He turned to a computer readout screen.

“Rebel base, three minutes and closing,” an automated voice announced.

Red Leader looked out at his remaining wingmen.

“Red Group, this is Red Leader,” he announced. “Rendezvous at mark six point one.”

“This is Red Two, flying toward you,” Skybuck replied.

“Red Three, standing by,” came Macintosh's voice.

“Red Leader, this is Base One,” Octavia's voice echoed across the line. “Keep half your group out of range for the next run.”

“Copy, Base One,” Red Leader replied. “Twilight, take Red Two and Three. Hold up here and wait for my signal to start your run.” Twilight nodded, her eyes filled with determination. She flew into formation along with Macintosh and Skybuck over the Death Star's surface. As they flew into the sky, Twilight looked down to see Red Leader's ship moving into formation with two other X-wings, descending into the trench. “This is it,” Red Leader muttered, wiping the sweat from his brow. The Rebel fighters evaded the Imperial laser blasts from the stationary guns as they made their way through the narrow trench. “We should be able to see it by now,” Red Leader said into his headset, nervously looking around for TIE fighters. “Keep your eyes open for those fighters!”

“There's too much interference!” a voice called. “Red Five, can you see them from where you are?” Twilight gazed at the surface, squinting.

“No sign of any—wait!” The fighters emerged from the shadows, tailing the X-wings. “Coming in point five three!” Twilight announced.

“I see them,” the voice replied. The three menacing fighters dove in a tight formation, the sun reflecting off of their solar fins as they looped toward the Death Star's surface. Red Leader pulled his targeting device in front of his eyes.

“I'm in range,” he announced. He looked into his targeting device, watching as the target grew closer. “Just hold them off for a few seconds.” Moon adjusted her control lever, diving in toward the fighters. She fired, knocking one of the X-wings out of the sky. The other X-wing wove furiously, trying to avoid Moon's fighter.

“You'd better let her loose,” Red Ten called over his headset. Red Leader concentrated on the crosshairs of his targeting device, sweat pouring from his face.

“Almost there!” he shouted as he tightened his grip on the control stick.

“I can't hold them!” Red Ten called back as he wove back and forth. With a calm pull of her trigger, Nightmare Moon blasted the panicked Red Ten into oblivion. Grimly, Red Leader took careful aim as he approached the vent. He lined up the crosshairs, held his breath, and fired.

“It's away!” Red Leader called as he brought his X-wing in a tight arc away from the surface. Inside the station, stormtroopers were knocked to the floor as explosions echoed throughout the hallways.

“It's a hit!” a voice from the base called.

“Negative,” Red Leader announced solemnly. He looked back at the receding Death Star as the tiny explosions died down. “It didn't go in. It just impacted on the surface.” Moon's ship peeled off in hot pursuit of the X-wing, swinging around for her next kill. Red Leader dove and weaved, trying to lose the formidable ship. He narrowly avoided a volley of laser fire.

“Red Leader, we're right above you,” Twilight called. “Turn to point oh-five. We'll cover for you.”

“Stay there,” Red Leader's voice announced darkly. “I just lost my starboard engine. Get set to make your attack run.” Red Leader struggled to gain control of his ship, leading Moon and her TIE fighters away from Twilight and the others. Laserbolts flew from Moon's ship, colliding with the X-wing. A scream of terror over the intercom signaled the end of Red Leader. Twilight looked out her window. The adrenaline had been replaced with a feeling of helplessness as she watched Red Leader's ship disintegrate. She gulped as she moved into formation with the other two X-wings.

“Macintosh, Skybuck, let's close it up,” she said over her headset. “We're going in. We're going in full throttle.” The horizon began to twist as Skybuck pulled out.

“Right with you, boss,” he replied. The two X-wings peeled off against the background of stars, diving for the Death Star.

“Twi, at that speed will you be able to pull out in time?” Macintosh asked, worried.

“It'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back home,” she said back, tightening her grip. The three ships moved in, unleashing a barrage of laserfire.

“We'll stay back far enough to cover you,” Macintosh announced into the intercom. Flak and laserbolts flashed as Twilight flew through the sky. As she entered the trench, she thought for a moment, then pulled her targeting device into position.

“Watch yourself!” she called to Skybuck. “Increase speed, full throttle!” Twilight streaked through the trench, firing her guns. She broke into a nervous sweat as the laserfire was returned, knicking one of her wings. “Pinkie, that stabilizer's broken loose again!” she called to her droid. “See if you can't lock it down!” Pinkie worked delicately to repair the damage, the canyon wall rushing by in the background. She beeped nervously as she worked. Laserfire began to rain down on the Rebel ships. Skybuck looked up to see the TIE fighters. Moon and her wingmen moved into the trench, firing at the X-wings. Moon scored a hit on one of Skybuck's wings.

“I'm hit!” he yelled over the speaker. “I can't stay with you!”

“Get clear, Skybuck,” Twilight returned. “You can't do any more good back there!”

“Sorry!” Skybuck called as he pulled his crippled X-wing away from the battle.

“Let him go!” Moon ordered to her wingmen. “Stay on the leader!” Twilight's X-wing sped down the trench, the TIE fighters still trailing in unbroken formation. Macintosh looked around at them, his eyes beginning to widen in terror.

“Hurry, Twi!” he called. “They're coming in much faster this time! I can't hold them!” The three TIE fighters closed in on Twilight and Macintosh.

“Pinkie! Try to increase the power!” Twilight shouted as she flew, her brow drenched with sweat. Ignoring the flak pounding around her, a beeping Pinkie-Pie struggled to increase the power. Stealthily, the TIE formation crept closer. Twilight looked into her targeting computer. She moved it away for a moment, pondering its use. She looked back into it as she heard Macintosh's terrified voice over the headset.

“Hurry up, Twi!” he called as Moon and her wingmen gained on him. He turned, seeing the Tie fighter aiming at him. Moon squeezed the trigger on her controls, and a streak of laserfire burst out, striking Macintosh's X-wing dead on. As the ship exploded into a million flaming bits, Twilight felt her eyes start to water. The image of her childhood friend flashed into her mind, and she sobbed, knowing that she would never again feel the embrace of his strong arms, or the tender kiss of his soft lips. As she struggled to hold back her tears, anger welled up inside of her. She wanted to turn around and let loose at the fighters. She wanted to watch as they burned and died. She wanted to make them suffer for taking her Macintosh from her. As she fumed, a voice snapped her back to reality.

“Twilight!” Rarity's voice called over the speaker. “Are you alright?”

“Yes,” Twilight replied coldly, wiping the last of the tears from her eyes. “I'm alright.” With a new determination, Twilight raced down the trench.

“I'm on the leader,” Moon announced to her wingmen. Twilight concentrated hard on her targeting device as Moon gripped her control stick. As Twilight began to line up the crosshairs, the eerie voice crept back into her head.

“Use the Force, Twilight,” the voice called. Twilight looked up, then back into the targeting device. “Let go, Twilight,” the voice repeated. A grim determination swept across Twilight's face as she remembered Celestia's training.

“The Force is strong with this one,” Moon muttered to herself as she followed. Twilight glanced back at the targeting device, when she heard Celestia's voice one more time.

“Twilight, trust me,” the voice called. Twilight pushed away the computer.

“Her computer's off,” a voice came over the headset. “Twilight, you switched off your targeting computer. What's wrong?”

“Nothing,” Twilight responded. “I'm alright.” Her ship streaked ever close to the exhaust port. The three TIE fighters followed closely. Moon fired a volley at the lone X-wing, hitting its side. A bolt struck Pinkie directly, and she let out a loud squeal as she went limp. Twilight looked over frantically at the tiny droid. “I've lost Pinkie!” she shouted.

Toity glared at the projected target screen. Yavin IV was now in range.

“You may fire when ready,” he announced.

“Commence primary ignition!” a voice called. An officer reached up, pushing buttons on the control panel as lights flashed red.

The three TIE fighters zoomed down the Death Star trench in pursuit of Twilight, never breaking formation. Twilight looked nervously at the exhaust port. Moon adjusted her control stick, taking aim at the lone X-wing.

“I have you now,” she said to herself as she prepared to fire. Twilight weaved, barely dodging the oncoming laser fire. As she swerved, she turned, and saw one of the TIE fighters explode in a fiery ball. Twilight's mouth dropped as she darted her head around, trying to discover who had shot the fighter down. Moon was taken aback as well. Inside the cockpit of the Wonderbolt, Rainbow Dash grinned ear to ear as she sat in her turret chair. Spike roared in excitement as he piloted the ship, looping back for another attack. The pirateship barreled head on toward the two TIE fighters.

“Look out!” the wingman called to his Lord. The wingman's ship veered sharply, crashing into Moon's ship before bouncing into the side of the trench and bursting into flame. Moon's ship was knocked out of the trench, spinning wildly as it hurdled into deep space. Moon, who had been knocked unconscious by the force of the impact, turned in circles with her ship as she floated off into the blackness. The Wonderbolt turned, making its way into the trench. Rainbow, smiling, put on her headset.

“You're all clear, kid,” her cocky voice came over the intercom. Rarity's mouth dropped open as she and the others heard the pegasus's voice. “Now let's blow this thing and go home!” Twilight smiled as she concentrated hard on the exhaust port. Sweat beads formed on her brow as she focused, drawing nearer and nearer. She took a deep breath, and fired. The shots fell directly into the port, hitting their mark dead on. Twilight threw her head back in relief, sighing loudly. She banked hard out of the trench, heading back toward Yavin IV, with Rainbow and Skybuck following. As their ships flew away from the massive battle station, it began to glow with hundreds of tiny explosions before bursting into a supernova, creating an spectacular display. “Great shot, kid,” Rainbow said over her headset. “That was one in a million.” As Twilight reclined in her chair, she could have sworn that she heard Celestia's voice speaking to her.

“The Force will be with you,” the voice whispered. “Always.”


Twilight was greeted by a cheering throng of rebel soldiers and ground crew as she climbed out of her ship. Everyone rushed toward the brave, young hero, welcoming her with laughter and cheers. Princess Rarity rushed toward her.

“Twilight! Twilight!” she called, wrapping her arms around the hero. Rainbow dashed toward them, embracing Twilight and giving her a little slap on the back.

“Hey! Hey!” she called as she laughed.

“I knew you'd come back! I just knew it!” Twilight said as she hugged the rugged star captain.

“Well, I wasn't gonna let you take all the credit and get all the reward,” Rainbow said back, smiling. Rarity moved between them, looking up at Rainbow.

“I knew there was more to you than money,” she said playfully. Twilight turned back to her ship.

“Oh-no!” she called as she saw the fried little droid being lifted out of the socket. Applejack stood next to her.

“Oh my, Pinkie!” she called, worried. “Can ya hear me? Say somethin!” She turned to a mechanic. “You can repair her, right?”

“We'll get to work on her right away,” the mechanic replied.

“You must repair her, sir! If any of my circuits or gears will help, I'll gladly donate em.”

“She'll be alright,” Twilight said, putting her arm around Applejack.


Twilight stood alone in the temple's inner garden. A huge stone monument stood erect in the center, a plethora of names scrawled along its surface. The names of those Rebels who had died in the battle. Twilight sighed as she placed her hoof on the hard surface, coming to rest under the name of her childhood friend. She felt tears begin to form in the corner of her eyes as she thought of Macintosh. She had promised herself she wouldn't cry. She had cried out all of the tears she could bear. Though, try as she did, she gave way to the new tears that made their way down her soft, gentle face.

“I promise...” she choked out through the tears. “I promise you, Macintosh, your sacrifice will not be in vain.” She sniffled, drying her eyes. “I will defeat the Empire and bring peace to the galaxy. I promise you...” She stopped as fresh tears began to form. She sat, sobbing into her hooves for what seemed like an eternity, until she felt a soft hoof on her shoulder. She turned, startled, to see Skybuck standing behind her, his soft, grey eyes sympathetic. Twilight wiped her eyes, trying her best not to appear weak to him. Skybuck sat down, not looking at her, but fixing his eyes on the monument. They sat in silence for a while, until he turned to face her.

“Twilight? Are you alright?” he asked. Twilight sniffled, trying to catch her breath.

“Y-yes,” she stammered. Skybuck fixed his eyes back on the stone.

“You loved him, didn't you?” he asked. Twilight tried to answer, but found herself too choked up to speak. “It's alright, I understand,” he said, looking up to face the starry sky. “I—lost my father to the Empire. I know what it's like to lose somepony you love. It hurts...” He turned his eyes to the ground, sighed, and got to his feet. “Well, if you ever need somepony to talk to...” he trailed off as he started out of the garden. He stopped as he was embraced from behind. He turned, putting his arms around the beautiful young mare. He stood in silence as she sobbed quietly into his shoulder.


Twilight, Rainbow, and Spike entered through the wide doors of the magnificent temple sanctuary. Hundreds of troops were lined up in neat rows as the trio made their way down the aisle. Standing on the stage, a vision of beauty and elegance, stood the lovely Princess Rarity. Twilight and the others climbed the steps and bowed before the princess as she placed a gold medallion around Rainbow's neck. The pegasus raised her head, winking at the princess as she turned to Twilight. She placed a medal around Twilight's neck, and then Spike's, and the trio rose to face the crowd. A fully repaired Pinkie-Pie scooted her way over to the group, followed by a neatly polished Applejack. The troops bowed before the heroes as they all looked at each other and smiled.

-THE END-

To be continued in 'PONY WARS: The Empire Strikes Back'

Comments ( 8 )

Hoh boy, 25 thousand words in a single chapter.

well this stays true to the movie ill give it that much but why the hell did you put macintosh as the one who had to die why......, also why did you not make a part for fluttershy?????

Hmm... a repaint of star wars in MLP isn't that bad I suppose, good enough to mark for reading again, but at the same time, I almost wish there was more MLP and a bit less star wars... it's like the MLP characters were merely acting out parts in a movie. I would think they'd behave differently than that in a more accurate one, but hey, it's fanfiction.:twilightsheepish:

Comment posted by sonicdash123 deleted Apr 30th, 2013

ok I want to say three things, first why did you change Wedge´s firstname into Skybucker but kept the Antilles?
Second with Nigthmare Moon as Darth Vader how is it possible that twiligth and rarity "escaped" their mother.
and last why didn´t you use the royal sisters as Emperor/Yoda, maybe Sombra as Vader to circumvent point two of my list and Zecora as Obi-Wan.

Still nice story, will get faved now and then on to the next one.

May the Force be with you.

This wasn't too bad. Roll credits:

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Rarity races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy...

Maybe add a line under this so we know the intro is done?
Also try and find some way to let readers know of scene changes in an obvious manner, like putting the cutie mark of the new character above the paragraph

“It wasn't my fault, sir,” Applejack pleaded. “Please don't deactivate me! I told her not ta go, but she's faulty, malfunctionin'. Kept babblin' on about her mission.”

"It wasn't my fault, ma'am,"
Twilight is a female. Sir is for males.

Login or register to comment