• Published 11th Jan 2018
  • 16,849 Views, 5,233 Comments

The Disney Chronicles III: Fantasia - Dinodisneylover1



When the ponies prepare a concert in Canterlot, Twilight and Company travel with two friends back inside the book to worlds that are created by music. 3rd instalment of this series.

  • ...
5
 5,233
 16,849

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565

Equestria
Canterlot Theater
Many hours later

On stage, Twilight appears before the audience, who applauds as she walked toward the center of the stage. She was the host and narrator of the concert for tonight. After bowing once or twice, she picks up a microphone with her magic as she begins to narrate the first number of the concert.

"Now, Everypony, I'd like to thank you all for coming here today on this special event, and to inform you all that the number that will be opening Equestria's first ever Fantasia program will be the Toccata and Fugue. To those that have not heard of it, this is music of the third kind, what is called 'absolute music'. The title has no meaning beyond a simple description of the form of the music you will be listening to soon. Now, as to what you will see on this very stage, which will be shown on this massive screen you all see before you, will show pictures of various abstract images and such that might pass through anypony's mind whenever you're listening to this music. At first you are more or less conscious of the orchestra. So our musicians will first open with a series of simple impressions of the conductor and the players. Then the music will slowly begin to suggest other imagines to your own imagination. They might be at first, oh say, just masses of various colors, some of them may show to be lines that move on their own accord with the music, cloud forms, great landscapes, vague shadows or even geometrical objects floating in what would appear in space. So now we happily present the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Johann Sebastian Bach, interpreted in pictures of what sound and music may appear in shapes and forms that my friends and I managed to see during our journey in this realm made by music, that was created by none other than Walt Disney and his associates, and in music by the Canterlot Orchestra and our guest conductor... so please enjoy the music and the show, thank you."


Symphony of Sorcery
The Orchestra Stand
Present Time

The ponies, cricket, dragon, Deems Taylor and Leopold Stokowski eye the songbook with the red glow.

“Now, getting inside the songbooks can be triggered with magic,” Deems explained. “But this one needs a musical trigger. I suggest we let Mr. Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra play some of the music we were going to play for the concert.”

“But how can you play without the sheet music?” Octavia asked.

“We know how to play the first number without sheet music,” Leopold answered. “We practiced a lot, but we still need it.”

“The first number is the 'Toccata and Fugue in D Minor', written by Johann Sebastian Bach,” Deems said.

“He was a famous composer from Germany, who wrote beautiful music in his days,” Leopold explained. “Bach composed the Toccata and Fugue at Arnstadt in Germany during the 17th century.”

“Wow!” Octavia gasped.

“I didn’t know humans had famous composers too,” Vinyl said.

“Inside this musical realm, you will see things that pass through your mind when you listen to this music in this concert hall,” Deems explained. “They could be cloud formations or many kinds of color or vague shadows.”

“So, if I’m in this realm, listen to music and picture a cupcake dancing, it would really happen?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Something like that,” Deems nodded. “The music that plays in the realm will cause things to appear and move.”

“Cool!” Spike said.

“Now, you better sit down and relax,” Deems instructs. “Mr. Stokowski and the orchestra will first play the Toccata. When the Fugue is about to begin, I’ll give you the signal to go inside the score.”

“Okay,” Twilight nods.

As every pony sits on their haunches, Leopold approaches the podium as the orchestra prepare their instruments. It was then Twilight noticed he missed something.

“Wait!” Twilight calls out. “Where is his baton?”

“Mr. Stokowski doesn’t need one,” Deems answered. “He’s famous for conducting with his bare hands.”

“Oh?” Twilight asked, in wonder.

“This is going to be interesting,” Vinyl nodded.

“Shh,” Octavia hushed.

The entire room became quiet, as Leopold reaches the top of the podium spreading his arms wide open. He turns right, then turns left. He moves his hands and the first notes of the orchestra are heard. It made every pony almost jump.

While the music plays, colors appear on Leopold’s face. It first became red and then yellow. He stops a moment, turning right while the music continues, and a green light illuminates his face before changing back to yellow. Then he faces the front as bits of pink could be seen on him. Then he moves his hands in different directions before raising them into the air while looking in front of him. A large pink circle could be seen in front of him.

“Whoa!” Vinyl said.

“Incredible!” Octavia said, wide-eyed.

“This sounds like it should be played on an organ,” Pinkie observed.

“Actually, it is,” Deems whispered to her.

“Ooh….” Pinkie said, nodding.

Leopold turns right mid conducting, as the ponies see a blue light with shadows of two musicians playing the bassoon. Then a green light appears with shadows of three musicians playing the clarinet and the oboe. Then he turns left and two lights, red and yellow, show shadows of the violists. Suddenly, Leopold looks in front of him as a big purple light appears.

“This is amazing!” Jiminy said, in awe.

“It sure is!” Applejack nods.

“I normally don’t like classical music,” Rainbow said. “But… This is pretty awesome!”

“You don’t like classical music?” Pinkie asked. “Didn’t you whistle ‘Ride of the Valkyries’ during your race of who’s going to be your pet?”

“Huh?” Rainbow faced Pinkie, confused.

“Oh nothing,” Pinkie smiled innocently, looking away.

The big light disappears while Leopold kept conducting. Suddenly, from the right, three lights, red orange and yellow appear. The shadows of many violists could be seen. On the left side, a blue and red light revealed musicians playing the cello, just like Octavia.

“This could be great for the concert,” Octavia said. “The ponies would love this.”

A blue light shows a woman playing the harp, then purple lights show musicians playing trumpets, trombones, French horns, tubas and the timpani. The harp plays again, while the same musicians play in the red and blue light.

“That harp is simply gorgeous,” Rarity said.

“It’s lovely,” Fluttershy agreed.

Then yellow lights appear showing the violists again. A man playing the timpani or kettledrums was shown with the brass instrument players in the background. While he plays, the drums glow.

“Oh, yeah!” Pinkie cheered. “Play that timpani!”

“Pinkie, shh!” Twilight whispered. “Not so loud.”

The harp was heard and shown again, as the timpani plays once more. A yellow and green light appear showing the violists again. The lights change to blue and pink with the same musicians. The lights change color once in a while, while the brass instrument players were shown with a yellow and blue light. Then three French horns were played one by one, glowing in different colors. One pink, one yellow and one green.

“Wow!” Spike said, in awe.

Suddenly, the shadows of three musicians playing the double bass were shown. The lights change from pink to red. Leopold was illuminated with red colors as suddenly, the entire room fills with red light. The songbook began to glow; the plan worked.

“Now is your chance,” Deems declared. “Jump into the musical realm and good luck.”

“Come on, everypony!” Twilight said.

Everypony ran toward the songbook and leapt into it. Musical notes surrounded them, as a bright red light covered them, ending the Toccata.

(Pause at 3:30)

The ponies covered their eyes from the light, as they found themselves floating and surrounded by clouds.

“Ooh! We’re floating!” Pinkie said.

“Wow!” Octavia said. “I can’t believe we’re inside a world created by music.”

“So many clouds,” Rainbow said as she punched one, making it vanish. “And they’re real!”

“Wee-hee!” Pinkie cried, floating in different directions.

“Alright, every pony,” Twilight began “That sheet music is around here somewhere. I suggest we think of a plan. Rainbow, you…”

“There it is!” Pinkie pointed out.

They all face her direction and indeed they saw the first of the missing sheet music. This one was colored red and it just floated, as if ready to be taken.

“Well, ah’ll be!” Applejack said.

“I’ll catch it,” Rainbow said, flying toward the sheet music.

“Rainbow, wait!” Twilight said. “I don’t think we should…”

“Relax, Twi!” Rainbow interrupts, flying close to the sheet music. “It’s not like it’s going anywhere.”

Rainbow was about to grab it when the sheet music moved on its own taking a step to the left.

“Huh?” Rainbow said, confused.

She reached for the sheet, but it took a step to the right.

“What the…?”

Rainbow tried catching it multiple times, but the sheet music kept avoiding her hooves.

“Looks like that sheet music has a mind of its own,” Jiminy said.

Eventually, the sheet music began to float away as Rainbow looked on.

“Hey! Come back here!” Rainbow shouts, waving her hoof.

(Continue music)

Suddenly, small yellow dots appear in the sky to the rhythm of the music.

“Look!” Octavia points out.

“What are those?” Rarity asked.

“Everypony hears the music, right?” Pinkie asked.

“Small yellow dots,” Twilight observed. “They almost look like violin strings.”

Then, violin bows appear and more came within seconds.

“Look at those violin bows,” Applejack pointed out. “It’s like they’re flitting like swallows.”

“We have to get that sheet music,” Twilight said. “Follow me!”

The ponies floated in mid-air as a swarm of golden violin bows appear, fortunately they were harmless. Twilight turns right and her eyes widen.

“Everypony, duck!”

Big violin strings flew toward them, our heroes quickly flying underneath them. Then the sky fills with more violin bows and strings, they narrowly dodged them. Vinyl saw the sheet music a few meters away from them.

“There it is!” She said.

“Don’t let it get out of your sight!” Twilight instructs.

Then big red violin strings flew beneath them. The strings rise up and disappear. Suddenly, the clouds disappear, and the sky turned dark blue as if it was nighttime. This surprised the ponies, dragon and cricket.

“Did it just… Become night?” Rainbow asked.

“I’m not sure,” Twilight said. “I don’t see any stars.”

“I think it looks lovely,” Fluttershy said.

Suddenly, little blue balls float toward them, circling around the group.

“Aw, so cute,” Pinkie said, wide eyed.

“And beautiful,” Rarity added.

“I feel so… Happy, all of a sudden,” Twilight said, smiling.

“Ooh, I wanna touch it!” Pinkie said, reaching for one of the little balls.

Suddenly, one of the balls began to shine and disappear a few times.

“Hee-hee-hee, glowy!” Pinkie giggled.

Then a set of violin strings appear, catching everypony by surprise.

“Another set of violin strings!” Vinyl said.

“That’s not all, look!” Rainbow pointed.

A blue flute appears to chase a set of violin strings in the air.

“Aww, it’s like they’re playing with each other,” Fluttershy said.

Suddenly, a large set of violin strings appear out of nowhere, about to come down upon the ponies.

“Watch out!” Twilight said.

Quickly, they flew between the strings, leaving them unscathed.

“Incoming!” Rainbow shouts.

Colorful spots passed through, as another flew past them. Then another appears and another. Soon the entire sky fills with colorful spots. The surprising thing was the sheet music, which was floating along with the spots before their eyes.

“Are you kidding me?!” Rainbow said. “Is that piece of paper messing with us?”

“You might be right, Rainbow,” Jiminy observed. “That sheet music is toying with us.”

The sheet music didn’t move when golden violin bows appear again. The sheet music joined the bows, diving toward the ground with them.

“That’s it! Come here!” Rainbow shouts, diving toward them.

“Wait for us, Rainbow!” Twilight calls out.

The ponies, dragon and the cricket dive toward the bottom, where they found themselves landing on some kind of sand dunes. They see the sheet music hiding behind one of them.

“Here, little sheet music,” Rainbow said, approaching slowly. “Where are you?”

While she and the others looked, big sets of red violin strings floated above them creating shadows along the dunes.

“This place gets more interesting by the minute,” Vinyl said.

Suddenly, the sheet music peeks from its hiding spot.

“There!” Rainbow points out. “Come here!”

The Pegasus flew toward the sheet and reached for it, but she missed. She looks up and finds the sheet music hiding behind another dune. Rainbow tried to grab it, only to fail again. It happens a few times till the sheet music had enough and flew away.

“Rats!” Rainbow slapped the ground. “I almost had it.”

“Rats?!” Rarity panicked. “Where? Get them away from me!”

“Not actual rats, Rarity,” Rainbow rolled her eyes.

“Over there,” Jiminy pointed.

The sheet music tucked itself into a dark corner.

“After it!”

They all went into the dark corner. But then strange shapes, possibly made of sand, flew around them. Whenever it hit their faces, they coughed out sand. Suddenly, they saw a curious, rippling mass that might be a brook beneath them.

“Is that a brook?” Octavia asked.

“I don’t know,” Spike admits.

“That sheet music disappeared again,” Rainbow groaned. “They didn’t tell us it would be hard to catch them!”

“Look,” Fluttershy pointed.

Sure enough, the rippling mass started to sparkle along with the rhythm of the music.

“So beautiful,” She said, softly.

But it was at this moment when the sheet music appeared again.

“There it is again,” Rainbow said, preparing to pounce. “Okay, stand still…”

She flies directly toward it, but the sheet music flew upward. Rainbow looks up, growling in frustration.

“I said ‘stand still’!”

The others followed her, till they found themselves surrounded by pink clouds. The sheet music kept flying away while the ponies face a new obstacle. A strange line moved in different directions like it was skywriting dropping colors while moving. The sheet music followed the same movements along the line.

“That line doesn’t seem to end,” Octavia said.

“Come on!” Rainbow shouts.

They pursued the sheet music, even if it meant following the never-ending line. Soon, multiple smaller lines appear making arcs. The sheet music kept flying away while more lines appear in the sky. They just kept following it, getting closer by the second.

“I think we almost got it!” Rainbow said.

But then, they met the same rippling mass that looked like a brook again.

“Wait, didn’t we see that mass before?” Twilight asked.

“It’s like we’re going in circles,” Applejack said.

And just like that, the sheet music disappears the moment they took their eyes off it.

“Darn it!” Rainbow shouts. “Gone again!”

Two yellow lines on the mass come in contact with each other, causing the mass to sparkle once more.

“It sure is nice to watch something bizarre move to music,” Octavia said.

Twilight turned toward Octavia, and her eyes went wide.

“Watch out!”

All of a sudden, a number of strange, rippling masses appear before them. These ones looked much like sand dunes, making humps. Every pony, except Pinkie, dodged them. The pink pony bumped against one of the big masses and moved along the humps, up and down.

“Hee-hee-hee! This is fun!” Pinkie laughed. “You gotta try it, guys!”

After five humps, Twilight had enough and levitated Pinkie with her magic as they soared to the clear blue sky. When they were high enough, they saw the sheet music approach a set of large clouds that look like towers.

“Whoa!” Rainbow gasped. “I’ve never seen clouds that big before!”

Sure enough, the sheet music went toward the highest cloud.

“In there!” Twilight points out.

The ponies, dragon and cricket approach the big cloud, where they came eye-to-eye with another bizarre sight. Various shapes, that appear to belong in a church, floated inside. The sheet music itself stood still in the center.

“I’m not falling for this again,” Rainbow said. “Twilight, think you can hold it with your magic?”

“I can try,” Twilight said.

Her horn glows, as an aura surrounds the sheet music.

“Got it!”

“Okay! Now can you levitate it or teleport it here?”

“Sure, I can!”

Twilight proceeds to use her magic to motion the sheet music toward them. Rainbow quickly clutched the sheet before it can slip away.

“Now I got ya, you little squirt!” Rainbow exclaimed, triumphantly.

Suddenly, five pillars of light appear from the ceiling.

“Ooh!” Everypony gasped in awe.

All at once, the pillars explode into tiny sparkles, raining toward them.

“Ahh!” They all said.

But then, the unexpected happened. A dark split opens up, revealing an orange glow coming straight toward them. It frightened our Equestrian heroes, as another split opened revealing a red glow. Then an additional one reveals a pink glow. Eventually, everything fades to black.

“Why is it so dark all of a sudden?” Vinyl asked.

“I’m scared,” Fluttershy shuddered.

Suddenly, some kind of big green rock appears before them, making them gasp. It marches through a tunnel toward a light at the end.

“What is that?” Spike asked.

The ponies, dragon and cricket huddled together, not knowing whether to go there or not. It soon became very dark again for our heroes.

“Now what?” Applejack asked.

“How will we get back to the orchestra stand?” Octavia asked.

“Don’t worry, everypony,” Twilight assures. “It’ll be alright, I hope.”

All at once, a large pillar of light appears. As the ponies looked at it, they started to smile.

“Pretty light,” Pinkie said, dazed.

“See?” Twilight said. “Told you everything’s fine.”

Soon the entire area fills with light, the group covers their eyes from its radiance. The ground turns red, as tiny colorful rays of light appear.

“So many shiny lights,” Pinkie said.

“Careful, everypony,” Twilight cautions.

The rays keep appearing from the ground, some growing bigger like searchlights. The entire area shifts as the sun appears in front of them. Before they knew it, a portal opens up.

“Hey, look!” Rainbow points out. “I think that can bring us back to the orchestra stand!”

“Let’s go!” Twilight ushered.

They float towards the portal in front of the sun, as gusts of wind blew from the clouds. They soon reached the portal, stepping inside. In one flash, the group found themselves back in the orchestra stand.

“We made it!” Twilight cheered.

“And we got the first sheet music!” Octavia adds.

They turn towards the podium, the sun still in sight. Leopold was still conducting, raising an arm to the left, causing a gust of wind to appear. Then he raised one on the right, causing another to appear. Then he raises both hands in the air, making gusts of wind appear from both sides. He repeats once more, causing the same progress as the ponies were astounded by the display.

“Oh my!” Rarity gasped, wide eyed.

“Wow!” Octavia and Vinyl said, in unison.

Suddenly, the sun’s rays change into giant organ pipes as Leopold kept playing the last notes. On the final note, he raises both hands in the air and quickly drops them causing all the lights to disappear.

The ponies, dragon and cricket stood still for a few seconds. Then, all at once, they applaud their hooves/hands/claws, some even choosing to whistle.

“Woohoo!” Pinkie cheered, while clapping her hooves.

“Bravo!” Rarity cheered.

“Yay!” Fluttershy cheered, softly.

“Now that’s what I call a performance!” Octavia exclaimed.

“Encore! Encore!” Pinkie shouts.

Leopold, flattered, bowed to the ponies as the room assumed its normal blue lights again.

“That was simply divine,” Rarity said. “Even though we spent most of the time in another realm.”

“That… Was inspiring!” Twilight said. “That’s something our concert needs!”

“I’m glad you liked it.”

They turn to see Deems Taylor approaching the group. Twilight soon trots to him with the sheet music.

“Mr. Taylor, we got it,” Twilight said, showing the sheet. “The first sheet music.”

“It wasn’t easy,” Rainbow added. “This one kept flying away, like it was toying with us.”

“I see,” Deems said, taking the sheet. “How was it in the musical realm?”

“It was brilliant!” Octavia said. “It was beautiful and strange at the same time!”

“It was like seeing and hearing music all at once,” Vinyl said.

“More than just seeing and hearing,” Twilight said. “We… We felt it! Like a heartbeat somewhere inside me.”

“I’m happy for you, Princess Twilight,” Deems said. “Looks like you and your friends are learning a thing or two about music.”

Twilight smiled, as Deems handed the sheet music to one of the musicians for safe keeping.

“That’s one down,” Deems said. “And seven to go.”

“Bring it on!” Twilight said, determined. “We are ready for number two!”

“Hee-hee-hee!” Pinkie giggled. “Number two…”

“What?!” Twilight asked, not getting the joke.

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I did, but let me tell you the truth. It was not an easy one.
And for your amusement, I placed the original pipe organ version in here.