• Published 6th Sep 2017
  • 405 Views, 2 Comments

The Anthology of Detective Pipe Glass - The Stainmore Phoenix



Ever wondered about Duke Pipe Glass? Here's the cases he took on during his time as detective

  • ...
 2
 405

Broken Clock Part 4

“Care to answer a question for me?” Pipe asked a grouchy looking school receptionist.

“Whaddya want?” the receptionist asked.

“I want to know about the filly, who hung herself,” he said.

“I got nothing to tell you,” the receptionist huffed and disappeared, slamming the door to the office in Pipe's face.

Pipe said nothing and growled away. He was hoping to get somewhere, but he was getting somewhere by standing still and that somewhere is....nowhere.

It had been several days since the lunch event and Pipe was out, trying his hardest, but he kept hitting brick walls. The school staff wasn't answering any questions and even when he seemed to get somewhere, the information was useless as it was just the same line-“She was that depressed and never got help”.

“That's it,” Pipe growled hotly. “This game of “liar liar” is getting old.”

He walked out of the school and decided to find some pony to ask questions.

“This better work,” Pipe grumbled again.

He hit the streets and began digging up ponies who knew the filly. He started with the mother and father, but they were no help. As for the other fillies and colts as well as their parents, they were no help at all. After the eighteenth witness, he left and walked out as the skies started to darken and open up. Soon, it was dumping rain.

“Next stop, the cafe,” he said. “Moorland would strangle me if I skipped out on a meal and a consideration.”

As he walked up to the nearby cafe, which was the closest to where he was in the middle section of town, he saw the mother and father sitting off in a corner. After ordering his lunch, he made his way over to the two.

“Hello there,” he said. “May I join you?”

“Please,” the mom said.

As he sat down, the father looked over.

“Any luck?” he asked.

“No,” Pipe said.

“Rats,” the father said.

“That leads me to ask...did she have any enemies who wanted her gone?” Pipe asked.

“None that we know of,” the mother said.

“That leaves me with nothing but an empty bag,” Pipe said.

“Sorry,” they said apologetically.

The trio finished lunch and Pipe excused himself politely and walked down to the local haunt of the jocks. Peering in, he found it empty.

“Nuts,” he growled.

Turning, he saw them, heading towards the small dockyard. He quickly followed them down, unaware of two beat guards behind him. He dove into a pile of cardboard boxes and old wooden pallets, and listened.

“Well, she's taken care of. Now for the rest of the school to figure out we're serious,” one said.

“Yes, indeed,” the others chorused.

Pipe hadn't heard all chorus the agreement.

“Something wrong, Hinge Pin?” the one, who was assumed to be the leader, asked.

“Look, you said we were going to send a message, not drive some poor filly to that extreme!” a male barked at last. “You've gone too far Ace Grade!”

“Don't start getting a moral around me! The only reason your popular is because of me!” Ace Grade barked back. “Our messages need to be extreme! We own that school!”

Pipe listened. At the right moment, they walked away. He popped out and eyed the two guards.

“Scion Light?”

“Pipe Glass?”

“Orion Auras?”

“What are you doing down here?”

“After them for the suicide. You?”

“The same.”

The trio returned to the precinct, where Moorland was waiting.

“Well, I have something,” Pipe told her.

“What?” she asked.

“Names,” Pipe replied.

She whipped out a notepad and had him rattle off the names. When he finished, she sat there, quiet.

“Who knew,” she said.

“Our families,” Pipe said.

“How come they never told us?!” Moorland asked.

“I'll explain later.”

She nodded.

“Now, we know who, and we have a motive, we just need to get Hinge Pin on his own,” Pipe said. “From what I know, he alone just might sink them.”

Moorland nodded.

“However, that's the problem,” Scion Light said. “He's scared. He's afraid to lose his popularity.”

“That's where we can....” Pipe began, but stopped.

“We can what?” Moorland asked.

“I was thinking “that's where we can assist him. Help him find friends who are trusting” but he'd resent us for this,” Pipe replied.

“A colt that lives in a group home, resenting you? He's afraid of that getting out there!” Scion pointed out.

Moorland's eyes lit up.

“That's it! Scion, your a genius!”

Pipe said nothing. Moorland explained her plan. Once done, Scion looked at her.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. You know what your name means, right?”

“Guardian, yes.”

“Your a scion of the city, so why not be a scion to a scared, hurt and lost colt?”

“Clever.”

She nodded. After finding out where the group home was, she sent Scion down to fetch him.

“Pipe, I hope this works.”