• Published 3rd Sep 2017
  • 1,886 Views, 60 Comments

Golden Love - enigmaMystere



A Griffin moves to Ponyville and searches for love, but is everything as it seems?

  • ...
5
 60
 1,886

PreviousChapters Next
It's Applebuck Season! Want to make a bet?

Life in the farm is routine, thus it ends up being very jarring when something comes along and changes said routine without any warning.

Of course, that requires said change to be noticed, namely when Flick hovers in the air beside Applejack’s window as she ambles about her morning routine. He quietly eyes the frame, wondering why she sleeps with it open before shrugging slightly and resting his forearms on it.

The farm mare is at the point where she's tying her mane when she finally turns to the window and jumps when she sees him. "What in tarnation?!"

He smiles warmly at her. “You know you hum when you get ready? It’s quite beautiful. Just like you.” He playfully winks at her, then slips inside her room, rubbing a wing with a claw.

"I... you..." She blushes, finishing tying her mane. "At least ask before ya come in next time."

“Sure,” he hugs her, having walked up as she spoke, and nuzzles her cheek, “for you, I think I can do that.” A smirk tugs at the corner of his beak. “Your granny said I was always welcome, though.”

"Ta knock at the door, yeah..." She smiles at him. "What brings you here so early?"

“You.” His claw rubs over her chest as he luxuriates over her soft yet firm form. ”I figured helping you with your chores would allow us to get to our date before the sun goes down.”

"Our uh... oh, so you did mean it like that..." She nervously puts on her hat.

A claw gently cups her cheek, turning her so she faces him with the lightest of touches. His beak is mere inches from her mouth, golden eyes gazing longingly into green as his voice takes on a low, raspy tone. “Is that a problem, Miss Applejack?”

She can feel his unoccupied talons running through the fur of her back, pulling her just close enough to feel the feathers of his chest against her coat.

She quickly pushes her hat into his face. "Nope, no problem, nope!" He can hear her clearing her throat quickly, followed by breathing.

He moves the Stetson onto his head, smiling warmly at her. “Aww, I wanted to see you blush again. It’s so cute!”

"Right, umm, thank ya." She pulls out another one, sticking it on her head.

His smile falls, glancing between her hat and the one on his head. With a grumble, he takes his hat off and stares forlornly at it. “...so much for being special...”

She laughs. "Ah prefer to think they're all special, but Ah learned pretty quick to have spares."

He’s silent for a moment before awkwardly holding it out to her. “Could you possibly... hug it? Maybe kiss it?”

She smirks at him a little as she takes it. "Yer an odd little bird, ya know that?" She gives it a nuzzle and a kiss on the brim.

Before she’s done kissing it, it’s suddenly replaced by a feathery cheek. He chuckles, putting it back on and hugging her. “Thank you, Miss Applejack.”

She blushes red. "H-hey! You... ya'll are a mess, ya know that?"

“You know you like it.” He chuckles, nuzzling her cheek affectionately.

"...it's growin' on me." She admits.

He grins, pulling her hat back as he leans in, eyes closing as his beak draws near her lips.

Her hoof places itself over his beak. "Whoa there, ya can't just pop into my room and get all smoochy before we even have a date."

He chuckles, pulling her hoof away gingerly. “I know. I just wanted to see that adorable blush of yours.” He runs his talon over a section of pink coloring her cheek. “And it looks like I got my wish.”

The door opens as he moves to nuzzle her cheek once more, revealing a certain red-headed filly. “Sis, Big Mac-“ She cuts herself off, staring wide-eyed at the scene before her. “...does this mean Ah have a new brother?”

Applejack quickly backs away from the griffon. "Ya know who he is."

“Yeah, he’s our new worker, an’ you’re his mistress.”

He groans, rubbing his face with a claw. “That one really came back to bite me...”

"See what that mouth of yours gets ya?" She grins at him.

“It almost got me a taste of the delicacy known as southern apple.” He sticks his tongue out at her, oblivious to the confusion on Apple Bloom’s face.

"Hush you." She lightly flicks him with her tail. "So, what about Mac, Bloom?"

The filly blinks, snapping out of her stupor to respond. “Oh! He injured his side; he won’t be able to help with the harvest!”

Applejack sighs, straightening her hat. "Well, guess ah got a long few days ahead."

"You know you don't have to do it alone, right?" Flick pulls her attention back to him with a talon on her chin, smiling warmly. "After all, you've got me."

She frowns a bit. "You sure you can do all day shifts? What about yer spa job?"

He grimaces slightly. “...okay, so I might not be able to help all the time, but it’s not like I’m gonna let you do it all by yourself.” He caresses her cheek tenderly, ignoring the giggles coming from Apple Bloom. “You don’t need that kind of stress on yourself.”

"Well... Ah'm still gonna be doing most of it, but Ah appreciate yer help." She smiles at him, taking his claw off when she hears the giggles increase.

He sighs in relief, gently nuzzling the top of her head. “And maybe, if we have time, we can go on that date?” A loud squeal of excitement causes him to flinch and fall on his side. He then grunts as the filly jumps on his side in her overabundance of joy.

“Ah can’t believe it! Mah sister’s goin’ on a date!” She draws close, pressing her nose against the farmer’s own. “Tell me all about it when you’re done!”

"Ah dunno, that's pretty private stuff..." She looks up, tapping her chin. "But you'll probably get into trouble tryin' ta find out fer yerself, so Ah might just tell ya."

“Great!” She gets off Flick and brushes his side off with her tail. “Ah’ll let granny know you’re with yer birdfriend. She’ll make sure there’s enough food when you’re done!”

"Ah, she, grr...." The older sister sighs. "Yer startin' stuff already, Flick."

“...you know, I’m not against the idea of being a couple.” He smiles and playfully elbows her side. “Especially with a southern belle like you.”

"Easy there, date first so we know if it would work."

He looks at her, bemused. “And when would that be? After this massive harvest you’re apparently suddenly having?”

She nods. "Exactly." She bumps him with her side. "Now yer gettin' it."

He hums quietly, rubbing his chin in thought. “...if I can harvest an acre before your family finishes breakfast, can we go on that date today?”

She raises an eyebrow. "That's a pretty big boast."

“I’m not boasting.” He smiles, holding his talon out to her. “I’m making a bet. You can get me to do anything you want if you win.” There’s a momentary pause before he amends, “Except leave you alone. Not even Celestia can make me do that.”

She laughs. "Well, sounds like a wager, then."

“Good.” He pulls her hoof up and gently kisses it. “And it’s sealed with a kiss.”

She blushes lightly. "You sneak these a lot don't you?"

“Only with you.” He looks up thoughtfully. “I haven’t had the chance to do it with anyone else.” He turns and heads towards the window. “Which field did you want me to do, exactly?”

"Just pick one that has all the apples ready to harvest. Probably in the east field."

“Gotcha.” His tail tickles her nose briefly before he dives out the window.

"Wonder if he'll actually manage to do it..."

“Applejack!” The filly’s voice calls out from downstairs. “Big Mac is eatin’ yer flapjacks!”

"Like hay he is!" The farm mare runs down the stairs, not wanting to miss out on breakfast.


The mare goes out after breakfast, having not seen her hired helper come back. She strolls down the path, keeping an eye out for him.

She can hear panting and wheezing a bit further down, near the entrance to the orchard she sent him to. Between the trees, she can see a sliver of gold.

She heads towards it, finding the griffon she was looking for against a tree. "Flick?"

His eyes open only halfway, and he gives her a weak smile. “I... I did it... two acres, even...” He reaches out, gently taking her hoof and rubbing it. “...Applejack...”

She sighs. "Ya derned fool... 'bout worked yerself to death. Course, guess Ah might have done the same."

He mumbles something she can’t quite hear, his grip tightening just the tiniest bit.

"Come on... you need a rest now." With a surprising bit of strength, she gets him laying sideways on her back. "We'll get ya some water."

“We’ll get it on our date.” He chuckles, sounding almost delirious. “A great date at a place with a grill you can give food you bring... or order, either way works.”

"Umm... okay then." She shakes her head, bringing him back towards the house. "But first, we gotta getcha back up and running."

“Oh, that’s easy.” He shifts on her back and nuzzles her cheek. “I just need some love.”

"That's a nice sentiment, but what you need is some shade and food." She corrects him.

“No, seriously,” he slides off, taking her head in his claws and turning it towards him so she can see he means it. “Kiss me, and I’ll be right as rain on your crops.”

She takes his talons off, backing away a bit. "Okay... yer comin' on a bit strong there fer this joke, sugarcube."

He completely collapses, groaning quietly. His breathing starts to ebb, and his eyes close as he loses consciousness.

Then, just on the edge of his awareness, he feels a soft pair of lips against his own, distinctly different from the ones that had graced his cheek earlier. Too weak to respond, though, he can’t even offer a smile, despite how his breathing slowly returns to normal.

Rainbow pulls away with a sigh, looking to Applejack with a small frown. “I don’t think that was a joke.”

"Well Ah didn't think he would drop without it!" She defends herself. "Ah was gettin' him food and water!"

“Yeah, it probably isn’t wise to treat everything as a joke.” She shrugs. “How many times has he pranked you to get you to do nothing, AJ?”

"I mean, look it just sounded like one of those corny things folks say. I figured he was still out of it."

“...well, you could always make it up to him.” Her eyes narrow at the farmer. “Unless you want me to kiss your birdfriend, again, to see if he’s sleeping beauty?”

Applejack sighs. "Just... help me get him to the house."

“Fine.” She shakes her head slightly. “Can’t just leave him out here, after all.”

"Of course." She grabs him once more. "This ain't the first time somepony's overworked themselves."

“You mean like you did the day I moved here?” Rainbow gives her a cheeky grin.

"...yes." She admits, though very begrudgingly.

“Yeah, wouldn’t want you doing that again.” She glances back at him. “Yeesh. Imagine if you tried what he did... what was he doing, anyways?”

"Harvesting an acre during breakfast to win a bet."

“All by himself?” She raises an eyebrow. “Isn’t that overdoing it? What was he expecting to win? A kiss?”

Applejack blushes, angling her hat down. "A date."

“...as soon as he’s good, you’re taking him on that date.” She pokes her friend in the chest, frowning deeply. “Or so help me, I’m gonna get one of our other friends to do so.”

"Like you?" She retorts with a raised eyebrow.

“...if it comes down to it, yes.” She rolls her eyes. “I doubt every other one of our friends would decline, though.”

"And they won't need to." She snorts. "He held up his end of the bargain, so I'll give him a shot."

“Good.” She glances back with a small smirk. “Because I think he’s waking up.”

Applejack promptly feels a claw on her flank, Flick groaning quietly. “...what... who...”

"Watch yer hands there tough guy." She says calmly.

“...Applejack...” The claw moves in a small circle before trailing up her side. “...oh... thank you... did I get something to eat?” He carefully moves, embracing the country mare with his weakened limbs.

"Not yet, Ah'm bringin' ya to the house." She smiles back at him.

“...oh...” He goes quiet for a moment before a moment of being jostled make him try to grip her harder. “...can I get a hug when we get there? I’m sure it’s less forward than a kiss...”

"Sure, sugarcube. You earned it."

He smiles and gently nuzzles her cheek. “...thank you, Applejack...”

“So... what was up with you needing a kiss, anyways?” The athlete blinks at the scared look on the griffon’s face. “What, it’s a valid question!”

“...I refuse to answer because it’s personal.” He shifts on Applejack’s back until he’s in a sitting position, reaching over to pat Rainbow on the head. “I don’t know you well enough to share, just yet.”

"And now he has mysteries, too." Applejack chuckles. "At least yer feeling better."

“Agreed.” Her friend shakes her head. “Even If you’re being difficult.” She glances back, then stops to stare. “F-Flick, your wing!”

“Hmm?” He looks back at the limb, frowning at the disarray of his feathers. “...huh. Guess I worked it too h-AGH!” He flinches away when Rainbow pokes it, gritting his teeth. “What was that for?!”

“...Flick, your wing... is bent at an angle it shouldn’t be.” She looks to the earth pony, frowning deeply. “Did you know about this?”

Applejack shakes her head vigorously. "Don't gimme that look. Ah dunno wings and ah was a might distracted by him bein' collapsed."

“...yeah, I don’t think he can flap it like this, much less fly.” She shakes her head. “I’ll get Fluttershy to come by real quick. She’s better at treating this than I am.” She turns and hurries off, leaving the two of them alone.

The griffon grumbles, resting his cheek against Applejack’s nape. “I didn’t think I worked that hard...”

She turns and touches her snoot to his head. "Ya did plenty, sugarcube."

He smiles softly, nuzzling her cheek. “...well... I’m just glad it was me and not you...”

"Yeah... but now we gotta see if Flutters can do anythin' for ya. Ya might end up in the hospital, ya bird brain." She bumps him with her snoot again.

He smiles coyly, a claw gently caressing her cheek. “Hey, if it means I can go on another date with a beauty like you, I’d do it again.”

"Easy." She bumps him firmly. "Ah won't have ya runnin' yerself ragged."

He grunts, gripping her a bit tighter. “Yes, Miss Applejack.”

"There ya go." She smiles at him. "Now you just relax. Ya had me worried."

“...it’s not that bad, I’m sure.” He shrugs a bit, hiding his grimace against her neck. “I think she just wanted to guilt trip you to hide her own embarrassment. She was the one who kissed me, right?”

She nods. "Went straight for it."

“Yeah, she’s probably embarrassed.” He nods, then nuzzles right behind her ear. “...when we go, could we bring some apples with us?”

"Go to where?"

“Savory’s Grill.” He smiles softly at her. “I want to see what he can do with an apple... though if you wanna go somewhere else for our date, that’s fine, too.”

"Ah think you earned picking the place." She chuckles.

“Good, because we’re going there for lunch.” He smirks a bit. “No point going with a full stomach, right?”

"Think you'll be better by then?" She raises an eyebrow at him.

“Like I said, I just need some love and care.” He smiles at her, then gently pecks her cheek. “I wonder if I’ll have to wait for it...”

“Granny!” They turn to see Apple Bloom in the farmhouse doorway. “They’re back from makin’ out!” She turns to look at Applejack’s friends next to her. “What does that mean, again?”

The blue pony pats her on the head. “You’ll find out when you’re older.”

"Rainbow Dash, what are you fillin' mah sister's head with?" AJ narrows her eyes.

"What? I just said that's what was probably taking you so long." She sticks her tongue out teasingly before she turns and walks inside.

Flick sighs, glancing to the mare carrying him. "...you're planning some revenge on her right now, aren't you?"

"...maybe." She doesn't meet his eyes.

He glances at the door before looking back to her, smiling slightly. “Want some help?”

"Sure. Ah'll tell ya when Ah think of something." She gives him a grin before heading inside.

He nods to himself as he stands where he had slid off her back, rolling onto his side without the injured wing. “...how long until she realizes she left me out here?”

PreviousChapters Next