• Published 4th Sep 2017
  • 3,505 Views, 73 Comments

Graph Theory - stillinbeta



Sunset and Fluttershy gently guide Twilight through the trials and tribulations of polyamory

  • ...
9
 73
 3,505

7 - Crash

“Madam Ambassador, Mr. Gregory, on behalf of all of Equestria I would like to welcome you to Ponyville. I trust you had a safe journey?”

Ambassador Gilda gave a respectful bow, spreading her wings wide. “The pleasure is all ours, Princess Twilight Sparkle. Thank you for taking the time to meet with us. The journey was long but we got an excellent view of your beautiful country.”

Twilight knew this was hardly the first time Gilda had been to Ponyville, let alone Equestria, but there was a formality to diplomatic greetings that must be observed.

“Thank you Ambassador. Elements of Harmony Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash both had good things to say about Griffinstone as well.”

That wasn’t entirely false. They both had said good things about the Griffin capital. If it happened to be amongst a sea of criticisms, well, that need not be mentioned.

Twilight exchanged a few more pleasantries with Gilda and her attaché, Gregory, before showing them to the drawing room where negotiations were to commence. A pair of guards, one a tall pegasus stallion and the other a stocky griffin hen, flanked the entrance. Both saluted as Twilight pulled the doors open with her magic.

“I understand your time is precious, so we shall begin immediately. Have you reviewed the treaty?”

Gilda looked to her colleague, who nodded. “We appreciate you taking time to meet with us so quickly. This situation is... rather delicate.”

Gregory pulled a bundle of parchment out of his saddlebag.

Twilight immediately noticed the notes and red ink that covered the treaty. Weeks of training with Celestia prevented her from audibly sighing. Of course they had revisions. Much of them would simply be posturing, a show of power, an application of leverage. With luck the final treaty wouldn’t be too different from the one she and Cadance had drafted.

Twilight laid her own copy on the table. “Where should we begin?”

Gilda and Gregory conferred quietly for a few seconds, then turned back to Twilight.

Gilda then pointed to a section near the top of the roll of parchment “We have some concerns over the proposed border between Griffonia and Equestria. The town of Featherfall lies directly on the bank of the Down River, meaning...”

Twilight listened patiently to the ambassador’s arguments, relieved to find the griffins more than willing to compromise on some of the smaller issues. She made a mental note to thank Pinkie and Rainbow the next time she saw them.

A knock at the door interrupted the diplomatic talks. The pegasus guard poked his head through the door, bowing when Twilight acknowledged him.

“Spike has an urgent message, your Highness,”

Twilight turned to the other two griffins poured over the table. “Would you mind if we took a quick recess?

Gilda frowned. “Of course, your Highness.”

Best to make this quick.

“Please ask the guards if you find yourselves in need of any refreshments.”

Twilight trotted through the door and shut it behind her quietly. Spike was standing outside, a glowing book in his claws.

Twilight swallowed. Sunset and Fluttershy knew she was busy today, so this must’ve been really important. With some trepidation she opened the glowing journal.

Twilight, are you there? I know you said you were busy today, but we’ve got a bit of a situation here. Rainbow broke up with Fluttershy. We could both really use your company right now.

Twilight summoned a quill and inkwell in a bright flash of magenta, but then paused.

Should she go?

The quill danced on empty air as Twilight mentally weighed her options.

On the one hoof, she was acting as ambassador to all of Equestria right now. The other princesses were counting on her to represent their interests and she absolutely did not want to disappoint them. Worse still, a delay could cause further tensions, or even outright conflict. The treaty was a good one, but it would be at least a day of work to hammer out the differences before Griffonia would agree to sign it.

On the other hoof, she wasn’t the Princess of Foreign Policy or Treaty Negotiations. Somewhere out there Fluttershy was hurting. One of her best friends, her marefriend, was upset, scared, and needed her there.

Twilight Sparkle did not abandon friend a friend in need, no matter the cost.

She dipped her quill in ink.

I’m on my way.


The bus ride from the portal to Sunset’s house always took forever, but this time Twilight was painfully aware of just how long it took. Her fingers drummed nervously on the seat in front of her, drawing dirty looks from her fellow passengers.

She didn’t care.

Fluttershy was upset, and this Tartarus-forsaken bus was stopping at every traffic light and stop sign it encountered. Surely some of them must be optional.

The drumming continued.

Eventually the snail-like bus announced her stop. She nearly pulled the stop request cord off the wall, and quite literally jumped out of her seat for the door. She turned sideways to slip out before it fully opened, sprinting up the road to Sunset’s apartment complex.

Twilight remembered how slow Sunset’s elevator was, so she turned for the stairs. Two flights of stairs taken two at a time left her panting but finally at the door. One deep breath, a hand run through her hair, and she opened the door.

“In here, Twilight,” called Sunset from down the hall.

Twilight walked into the bedroom and her heart broke a little bit.

Fluttershy was completely hidden behind her hair, surrounded by a mess of tissues. Sunset was holding her by the shoulder Her shirt was stained with tears.

“Hi Twilight. I hope I didn’t interrupt anything *sniff* important.” Fluttershy was barely audible.

She brushed her hair to the side and smiled weakly at Twilight. There were still fresh tears rolling down her cheeks.

“Nothing’s more important than making sure you’re okay, Shy.”

Twilight sat down on the bed, cautiously wrapping an arm around the distraught girl. Not for the first time she wished she had her wings, and could wrap them protectively around Fluttershy. Arms just weren’t the same.

The three of them sat there in silence, Sunset and Twilight holding Fluttershy as tight as they could. Every once in a while Sunset or Twilight would offer a tissue, or a glass of water, or a soft kiss on the cheek.

Eventually Fluttershy started to drift off and the two gently tucked her into bed.

The two of them retreated to the kitchen. Twilight busied herself making tea while Sunset tapped out updates on her phone for Rarity and Pinkie Pie. A beeping tea kettle was quickly silenced, tea bags were selected, mugs were filled. Messages were sent, emojis selected, parties politely turned down.

Twilight fiddled with her teabag. “How long were the two of them together?”

“A few months longer than me and Shy, I think. Almost two years.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah.”

“Do you know what happened?”

Sunset looked at her hands. “Not really. She was pretty upset when she got here. All I could tease out of her was that Rainbow wanted to be ‘just friends.’”

“It wasn’t too long ago I would’ve been confused over what was so bad about being ‘just friends,’ huh?” Twilight gave a weak smile.

“And now?”

“Now I’m glad I’m ‘just’ the Princess of Friendship. Cadance must have the hardest job in the Equestria.”

Sunset smiled. She reached across the table to give Twilight’s hand a squeeze.

Twilight squeezed back, but was getting lost in her thoughts. She and Fluttershy had been dating for scarcely a year. It was already impossible to imagine life without her.

What had happened to her and Rainbow? They always seemed happy together. If it could happen to them...

Sunset frowned. “Twilight? You okay?”

Twilight made a quick decision. “Yeah, I’m fine. Just worried about ‘Shy.”

None of them needed to deal with this additional stress right now.

Sunset nodded. “She’ll be okay. She’s tougher than she seems.”

“Pony Fluttershy stared down a cockatrice once, so I believe it.”

“Wait, seriously? Don’t they turn people to stone?”

“They certainly do. In fact, I was actually encased in stone at the time. I only found out about it later.”

“I didn’t even know that was possible! Remind me to shake her hoof next time.”

“Shake whose hoof?” asked a groggy human Fluttershy.

She slowly shuffled over to the table, sitting down next to Sunset.

“Uh, yours. Pony-yours, I mean. The other Fluttershy.” Twilight said. “Can I get you some tea, Shy?”

“Um, if it’s not too much trouble?”

“None at all.” Twilight walked back to the sink to fill the kettle again.

“Feeling any better, Shy?” Sunset asked.

She wrapped an arm around the girl, who leaned into the embrace.

“A little bit. Um, sorry for being a mess back there.”

The end of her sentence was scarcely more than a squeak.

“It’s okay, ‘Shy. I think being a bit of a mess is well earned.”

“We’re always here for you,” Twilight added.

“Thank you,” Fluttershy mumbled. She turned back to Twilight, who was staring at the kettle. “I’m um, really glad you’re here, Twilight. You’re sure you’re not missing anything important?”

Two angry griffins chastising her briefly filled Twilight’s thoughts, but she chased them away. “Nothing that can’t be fixed later.”

She closed the distance between them and nuzzled Fluttershy. The gesture felt far more awkward as a human, but she knew Fluttershy liked it.

“Do you uh, want to talk about it?”

That was what people asked in these scenarios, right?

Twilight’s only experience with this was consoling Rarity after her latest failed date, and Rarity didn’t usually need prompting to talk about things.

Fluttershy looked like she might start crying again.

Twilight’s heart sank. Not the right words, then.

She reached out again, but hesitated.

Did Fluttershy need space? Physical comfort? Soothing words?

Fluttershy looked miserable, and it was breaking Twilight’s heart.

Fortunately Sunset came to her rescue, wrapping the distraught girl in up in strong arms. “You don’t have to talk if you don’t want to, Shy, but it might help.”

Tears were streaming down Fluttershy’s face but she nodded.

Sunset squeezed her. “Take your time, Shy. We’re not going anywhere.”

It seemed like Fluttershy looked like she was about to say something. Instead she looked between Twilight and Sunset then burst back into tears again.

A few words slipped past her choked sobs. “I don’t... I... she said...”

Twilight took a seat beside Fluttershy. “You know you can tell us anything, right hon? We won’t judge you.”

“We love you ‘Shy,” Sunset added.

She gave Fluttershy a peck on the cheek.

“I love you too.” Fluttershy was barely whispering now. If they hadn’t been embracing they might not have heard it. “Rainbow said... she said she never got to see me anymore. That I spent all my time with you two.”

“What?!” Twilight reared back. “How could she do that to you? She knows...”

Twilight saw Fluttershy flinch at the anger in her voice. Sunset was looking at her too, eyes wide.

Twilight shrank back. “I just... I thought she liked us. Respected us. Why would she make you choose?”

“Nobody asked Fluttershy to choose, Twilight.” Sunset lightly kissed Fluttershy on the cheek. “Rainbow made her choice.”

“I made my choice a long time ago.” Fluttershy was still quiet but it was a quiet conviction. The tears were flowing freely again. “When I made room for you two.”

At that moment Twilight desperately wished that she could still teleport. She actually tried, in fact, reaching out with magic that wasn’t there. Instead, she needed to be a grown mare – woman, whatever – about this.

“I... I didn’t know. I’m sorry.,” Twilight said.

The tea kettle beeped. Maybe this world was apologising for her lack of magic. Twilight rose and stepped into the kitchen.

Even though she was scarcely two metres away, Sunset and Fluttershy’s whispered conversation was out of earshot.

As she poured the water into the waiting mugs, her own thoughts swirled.

Her Rainbow was the Element of Loyalty. Would she do something like this? What had happened between this Rainbow and Sunset? And...

A burning sensation nipped that anxious spiral in the bud. The mug was overflowing onto her hand. She hissed and reached for a paper towel under the counter.

Sunset craned her neck to look at her. “You okay Princess?”

Twilight chuckled nervously.“I’m fine, just a little clumsy. You know how hands are.”

She very carefully brought Fluttershy’s tea back to the table.

“Thank you Twilight.” Fluttershy was almost back to a normal speaking voice. That had to be a good sign.

“Anything for you, Shy.” Twilight smiled, and happily Fluttershy returned it. Twilight never got sick of that smile. “I’m sorry I yelled. I was just so... surprised.”

“It’s okay, Twilight. I didn’t do a very good job of explaining.”

Sunset reached across Fluttershy to grab Twilight’s free (and unburnt) hand. “Nobody has infinite free time, Princess. Everybody has to make these choices.”

“It wasn’t just about time,” Fluttershy said quietly.

Twilight turned, looking at her. Sunset seemed caught off guard as well. Her eyes widenened as she looked to Fluttershy, who was staring into her tea mug.

“What do you mean, Shy?” Sunset’s voice was gentle, but Twilight could sense the slight tinge of concern.

“She talked to me about it before I left. She missed getting to see me, but that wasn’t the only reason. She... she wants to start a family.”

The kitchen was silent.

A single tear rolled down Fluttershy’s cheek. “Rainbow... she wants a partner she can move in with. She wants to get married, have kids.”

“And you don’t?”

Sunset was quiet, bringing herself to Fluttershy’s volume.

“Not...” Fluttershy wiped another tear aside. “Not with her.”

Sunset and Twilight moved as one, embracing their girlfriend from either side. Fluttershy broke into sobs again as the three of them held each other for dear life.

“I love you two so much,” Twilight whispered into Fluttershy’s hair.

Twilight couldn’t think of anything else to say, but it felt right anyway.

Fluttershy managed to crack a smile. “Me too.”

“Me three,” Sunset grinned. “Now, I think it’s time to show the Princess another human tradition.”

“You have a tradition for breakups?”

“Absolutely.” Sunset got up and crossed over to the freezer, pulling out a two of quarts of ice cream.

“Oh, I think we have this one too,” Twilight snickered. “Pretty sure I’ve found Rarity surrounded by half-eaten cartons more than once.”

“Yours too, huh?” Sunset came back, three spoons in one hand and the ice cream in the other. “Well, come on. Let Dr. Rocky Road sooth your worries.”

“I’m pretty sure I know a Rocky Road. Worked in an ice cream parlour in Canterlot.” Twilight managed to get out between bites.

“Oh, we should go sometime!” Fluttershy said.

She already seemed happier. Chocolate had that effect on her. Though that was true for most people.

“Absolutely.”


“You okay, Twilight?” Fluttershy asked.

Twilight looked up from her book to see a concerned Fluttershy looking over at her from the other side of the couch.

“Yeah, fine, why do you ask?”

“You um, haven’t turned your page in half an hour.”

Twilight looked down at her book and sure enough it was still open to page three. She may have been a slower reader without magic, but definitely not that slow.

She closed the book and sighed. “Sorry. Just a bit distracted.”

Fluttershy scooted over gently wrapped her arms around Twilight. “Is this about me and Rainbow?”

Twilight nervously fiddled with her book. “I don’t know. Maybe?”

“You know you can talk to me about anything, right?”

Twilight halfheartedly stuck her tongue out. “That’s Sunset’s line.”

“Doesn’t make it any less true. Didn’t you use it on me an hour ago?”

“You got me, ‘Shy. It’s just... argh. This night is supposed to be about taking care of you, not me.”

“Oh, I don’t mind. Having too much attention on me always makes me nervous, anyways.”

“Heh, I suppose that makes sense.”

Twilight placed her book down on the floor and leaned over, resting her head on Fluttershy’s shoulder.

“What’s bothering you, Twilight?”

“It’s just... you and Rainbow were together for so long. I guess I sort of thought you’d be together forever.”

Twilight flinched, hoping she hadn’t reopened that particular wound. Fluttershy, however, just nodded for her to continue.

“It just makes me wonder, I suppose. Are we going to fall apart in a year? What if something happens?”

“None of us can see the future, Princess.” Sunset said.

She returned from the kitchen with a trio of tea mugs carefully held in her hands. She put the mugs on the coffee table and sat down on the other side of Fluttershy.

“Well I wouldn’t say none of us.” Twilight mumbled.

“Well, most of us, then.”

“I know that. I just... worry sometimes. I’m really happy now, the happiest I’ve ever been. I don’t want this to end.”

“Let me ask you this. If the three of us broke up tomorrow, would you regret your decision to go out with me?”

“Never,” Twilight said automatically.

She didn’t even need to think about. What was there to consider? How could someone regret the best thing that ever happened to them?

“You see?”

“What about you, Shy?” Twilight asked, treading lightly on the fresh wounds. “Do you wish you’d never asked Rainbow out?”

Fluttershy once again proved tougher than she looked. “Of course not. Sure, it hurts right now, but I wouldn’t trade our time together for anything.”

Twilight nodded, but her thoughts continued to swirl.

Sunset interrupted her spiral once again. “Okay, Princess, when was the last time you saw this world’s Twilight?”

“Um..”

How long had it been? Twilight found she could barely remember.

“Three weeks? Maybe four?”

“Do you think you’re still dating?”

Twilight froze.

They hadn’t talked in a while, it was true. And the last time they had gotten dinner together things had felt a little bit off. Did that mean things were over?

“I... I don’t know. Oh Celestia, do I need to talk to her? What if I hurt her feelings?”

Fluttershy gently patted Twilight. “I think you should probably talk to her, but it’s not a big deal. I think Sunset is trying to show you that some things just run their course.”

“What about us, though? Are we going to ‘run our course’ too?” Twilight didn’t like this conversation. She felt tears stinging her eyes.

“It’s possible. But... I think what we have here is really special.” Fluttershy gently kissed Twilight.. “I think this can last. If we all want it to.”

“Nothing’s for sure but... I think ‘Shy’s right,” Sunset added. “I think I can see myself with you two for a very long time.”

Twilight was definitely still crying, but it didn’t hurt anymore. Instead she allowed herself to get lost in Fluttershy’s soft embrace.

Now there was only one thought swirling through her head. What we have here is special.

And whatever happened, it’d work out. Even if she had to cause a diplomatic incident once in awhile in order to make it work.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the delay everypony! It's been a hectic weekend.