• Published 4th Sep 2017
  • 5,567 Views, 121 Comments

A Draconequus's Destiny - TheOnlySaneDraconequus



Went from being a twenty-something human, to a Draconequus who's just trying to get by in a strange and crazy world. I also happen to find my destiny in life.

  • ...
20
 121
 5,567

Chapter Seven: In Which There is an Awkward Family Reunion

Chapter Seven:

In Which There is an Awkward Family Reunion

About a week after my Naming Day, Thorax showed up at my realm, looking around the small yard to see if I was there. From inside the house came a small explosion, a zapping sound, all the lights flickered and the windows rattled.

“[REDACTED!]” I shouted. It sounded very weird, especially with my voices clashing. Thorax cautiously walked up to the front door, and opened it a crack.

“Sec?” he called nervously.

“Hi, Thorax, it’s nice to see you,” I said from behind him.

“YEEP!” he cried, jumping about a foot into the air. He put a hoof to his chest, and took a deep breath. “You seriously need to wear a bell around your neck for when you do that.”

I shrugged. “It would clash with my fur, and anyways, collars aren’t really my thing. Never have been. I don’t accessorize.”

“Your eyebrows and mane are smoking. What happened?”

“Hmm? Oh, just now? I was trying to change a lightbulb. The lightbulb won.”

“Really?” Thorax asked in surprise.

No. It wasn’t a lightbulb, even I can change a lightbulb. I’ve been here a week, and I’m still figuring things out. Did you know physics are optional here? It can be a bit interesting. It’s all fun and games until you get crushed by a bookcase. Why are you here?”

Thorax raised an eyebrow, looking at me with a “we are not amused” expression. “You sent me a note asking me to drop by ‘at my earliest convenience’ today. You don’t remember sending that? It wasn’t exactly subtle when it arrived. It sort of growled at me until I opened it.”

I smacked a paw on my forehead. “Oh! Right! Sorry, my brain’s one too many places today, I was a bit distracted.” I gave him a nervous look. “Give me … two minutes? I’ll be right back.” I disappeared back inside. There were some clattering sounds, and a brief burst of xylophone music. I then reappeared in the door holding a wicker basket, panting slightly. “Ha! Got it! It was in the kitchen, behind the blender. I knew I put it in a logical place!”

Thorax was looking more confused by the second. I grabbed my keys, and locked the front door. “Sec? What’s going on?” Thorax asked. “You’re acting even stranger than normal.”

“Yeah, sorry. I’m a tiny, tiny bit manic this morning, even for me, I have a lot of plans for the day. This way your highness!” I took his hoof, and we walked up the floating part of the sidewalk. “OK, where did it go, it would be a bit hard to lose…” I muttered. A large floating chunk of rock covered in grass at the top swung around the house into view. It had a lazy orbit around the main house. “Bingo! Come on!”

Thorax’s wings flicked out of his elytron and he flew over to the large chunk of rock. Naturally, I walked. Before settling down, Thorax flew up, and poked a hoof into my snout. “Boop!”

I grabbed my snout. “No fair!”

Thorax smiled. “If you’re smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there’s one thing you never boop. Me. That’s for calling me ‘Your Highness.’” He then sat down, and patted the grass beside him. I sat down on the rock, and was happy for the covering of grass. Thorax gave me an askance look. “So, the reason for your odd behavior would be…?” he said in the tone of voice you address a foal with.

I fiddled with a clump of glass. “Well, Pharynx told me that today was your hatch date, and I wanted to celebrate it with you. It took me holding him over a pit of lava to get him to tell me, of course.”

“SECUNDUS!” Thorax yelled in anger and shock.

“I’m joking, I’m joking. He was actually happy to tell me. He did call me … oh, how did he put it … ah. A ‘sentimental weirdo,’ and told me that you could do much better. Do Changelings even celebrate their hatch days?”

Thorax smiled. “Not under Queen Chrysalis, but these days, yes we do. Thanks for caring about it you goofball, I’d actually forgotten it was today. I guess I’m busier running a brand-new kingdom than I thought.”

“So … I thought I’d treat you to lunch, we could go back to the Hive and celebrate with your family. I could invite your friends. Uh, our friends. It wouldn’t be any trouble, if their schedules allow. I don’t know what Changelings do for hatch days, so I thought I’d just roll with whatever comes.”

I held up the basket. “I made lunch! It’s a spinach, cranberry, cauliflower, apple, and walnut salad with poppy-seed dressing, since I remembered with both like it. I know you don’t actually need to eat food, but I was hoping you’d like it at least a little. When I say I made it, I mean I went out and bought ingredients and made the salad by paw, rather than just wishing it into existence. It tends to taste better that way for some reason. Oh! There’s crackers and peanut-butter and honeysuckle sandwiches. I’ve never had honeysuckle, that should be interesting to try. There’s um, some lemonade, and I, um. Please like it.”

By now I’d taken four clumps of grass out of the “ground” with the claws on my other paw. Thorax chuckled. “You’re not nervous at all, or anything, are you?”

“Was that sarcasm? I can never really tell when anyone’s being sarcastic.”

Thorax rolled his eyes. “Yes, Sec, that was sarcasm. What’s wrong that you’re so nervous? It’s just lunch, and I really appreciate the gesture. It all sounds really good. Thanks.”

“It’s just that I’ve never had a girl- marefriend, or a coltfriend to celebrate their birthday with. I don’t want to mess it up.”

Thorax laughed. “Considering that you remembered it’s my hatch day, and I didn’t, I don’t think that’s possible. Thanks, that’s really sweet of you. I have to agree with Pharynx on one count, you’re not a weirdo, but you are a sentimental goofball. Let’s dig in!”

After the salad, I tried one of the sandwiches. I chewed for a bit. “You like this?”

Thorax laughed nervously. “I guess it helps that I’m part beetle. I’ll take the other sandwiches if you don’t want them.” I passed him the plate.

After eating, I reached behind my back, and pulled something out of my house. I held out a box, wrapped in green paper with a lilac bow. I started to stammer. “I, well, I got you this. Actually, this one I did wish into existence. I had not a clue what to get you, so I just went with something I hoped you might like. I don’t know if you will. I-” I passed him the box. “Oh, just take it! Worst case, I can always uncreate it, and get you something you’d actually like.”

Thorax untied the bow, and pulled the ribbon off. He then tore off the paper. He opened the box, and pulled something out. It was an ornate music box, with a monkey sitting on the top, designed to play the symbols as the music box played. Thorax broke into a broad smile, and wound up the box. His smile somehow managed to get bigger as the box played, and he started to softly sing along with the song. “Masquerade, paper faces on parade. Masquerade, hide your face so the world will never find you. Masquerade, every face a different shade. Masquerade, turn around, there’s another face behind you…

I wiped the sweat off my brow in relief. “Y-you, uh, you know that one? I didn’t think you’d know it, or know what it was supposed to be. I had no way of knowing if you even remotely liked musicals. Though, Equestria’s sort of one big musical, isn’t it?”

Thorax was staring at the box, a soft smile on his face. “After I left the Hive, I had to stay on the move. Being a lone Changeling is and was really hard. I got to see quite a lot of Equestria in those years. One night, I was passing by a theater, and I heard an orchestra tuning up. I didn’t know what it was, so I disguised myself as a stage prop, and snuck into the building that way. It was … magic. I’d never seen anything like it. Things like that stay with you, you know?”

I nodded. “Some day, if or when we ever grow old together, I’d love to hear your life story,” I teased. “In all honesty, I’d love to see more of Equestria, I’ve seen very little of it, and I love to travel. I should get around to that one day.” I then smirked. “Don’t tell me you relate to the Phantom?”

Thorax chuckled. “Well … a little bit, yes. Parts of him, anyways. Not the homicidal maniac part.”

“Right that part’s more my territory,” I said with a straight face.

“You’re kidding, right?” asked Thorax in a nervous tone.

I coughed into my paw. “Mostly. I’m … a tad overprotective, shall we say. I’m glad you liked the lunch. We’d better get to the Hive, so the Changelings don’t think we’re up to anything unseemly.”

“Why, what would be wrong with that?” asked Thorax with a smug grin. I swallowed nervously. Thorax then tapped his chin. “Actually, before we head back, there is one more gift you could get me.”

“What’s that?”

Now Thorax started fiddling with the grass. “Would you, uh, would you dance with me?”

“Sorry, what was that?”

Thorax was blushing slightly. “Would you dance with me? I’ve never mumble mumble.”

My ears flicked in annoyance. “Thorax, even Fluttershy doesn’t talk that quietly. Speak up!”

“I SAID, I’ve never danced with someling I like before!” Thorax snapped.

“Oh. OK then. Well, that can be easily remedied.” I glanced all around us. “This spot isn’t really big enough … Hey! I’ve got a great idea!” I grabbed his hoof. “Come on!”

I pulled us to the edge of the rock. “Sec, what are you doing?” asked Thorax.

“I’ve wanted to do this since I was a kid!”

“Do what?”

“Dance in the stars!”

I pulled us off the edge, into the night sky of my realm. Thorax’s legs flailed wildly, until he realized he wasn’t plummeting to his doom. I raised an eyebrow. “You do know gravity is optional here, right? Besides, I’ll catch you if you do fall.” I gently pulled him further into the sky. The house, and the daylight half of the sky quickly faded away, until we were surrounded by stars on every side.

I bowed formally to Thorax. “So, we’re both males, and you are a King. Would you like to lead?”

Thorax smiled awkwardly. “You lead, you know what you’re doing better than I do.”

I smiled. “Not really, but that’s half the fun of it.”

Thorax got a little more comfortable. “Plus, you’re taller than I am.”

I laughed. “Fair point.” I took his hoof in my paw, pulled him to his hindlegs and placed my other paw on his waist. I looked around us. “Hmm. We’ll need music. How does that one go again?”

A few guitar chords sounded from the stars around us, and we began to dance. The music didn’t have a visible source, it was coming straight from my memory into the sky around us.

Do you feel the same when I’m away from you? (Oooh Oooh)

Do you know that line that I’d walk for you? (Oooh Oooh)

We could turn around, or we could give it up
But we'll take what comes, take what comes

Oh, the storm is raging against us now
If you're afraid of falling, then don't look down
But we took the step, and we took the leap
And we'll take what comes, take what comes

Feel the wind in your hair
Feel the rush way up here

We're walking the wire, love
We're walking the wire, love
We're gonna be higher, up
We're walking the wire, wire, wire

As we danced, Thorax said, “You’re actually a pretty decent dancer.”

I chuckled. “Only at slow dances. Believe me, you do not want to witness me attempt a fast dance.”

Thorax laughed at that. “What song is this? It’s beautiful.”

“It’s … a favorite of mine, from just before I got pulled to Equestria. It came out relatively recently before then. I just like it. Sentimental goof, remember?”

Thorax didn’t reply, he just smiled. “Your world has beautiful music.”

I shrugged. “A lot of it was good, yes. Some of it I didn’t really care for. Equestria has good music too. Which isn’t all that surprising considering how much everypony and everyling bursts into song.” After the song ended, I asked, “One more?”

He shook his head. “Sorry, I’ve got to be getting back. You’re welcome to spend the day with me.”

I smiled. “Thanks. A lot. It’s … a bit … quiet here.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

I shook my head. “Not by itself, but,” I frowned. “in my case, spending time ‘alone with your thoughts’ is almost never a good thing. Especially for long periods of time. My thoughts can be kind of … nasty.”

“Oh. I’m sorry to hear that. Well,” Thorax said with his trademark adorkable grin, “for today, let’s get you out of your head.” I smiled, and took his hoof as we walked through the portal back to the Hive.

The Changelings were a bit surprised when a portal opened up in the middle of the gardens, but when they saw it was me, they relaxed. I hoped they were getting used to me, but I didn’t think they were. They were going about their day as usual, and the Hive was still stunning to look at. My ears drooped when I thought of staying up late the other night, trying to block out the silence. I then brightened up. It didn’t matter if my realm was a bit lonely, I had an amazing coltfriend, I was going to spend the day with him, and it would be great.

“So, what does a Changeling hatch day celebration involve?” I asked Thorax.

He chuckled weakly. “Erm, actually … not a lot. Even with all that’s changed we’re still not exactly ‘party animals,’ and I don’t like anyling making a big deal about it. It’s really just sort of another day.”

“Well, for me, that’s great. I’m not much of a party person either, so by a twist of fate, I had to live in Ponyville, party capitol of Equestria for six months. I don’t mind quiet, I just hate quiet when it’s lonely quiet. Whatever you want to do is fine by me.” He gave a relieved smile.

He thought about it. “Well, you said you like crafts, right?” I nodded. “Some of us have a sculpting group that meets today. Do you sculpt?”

I laughed. “Very badly, but it’s one of my favorite things to pass the time with. I love how messy it is.”

“Great!” Thorax led me over to a long table outside. Changelings sat on stools along the sides, and each Changeling had a lump of clay they were busily working on.

“Um, hi. I’m Secundus.”

“We know,” a Changeling said. “How come you’re back here so soon?”

“T-Thorax invited me. I just wanted to spend the day with someone else, so he thought I should come here.”

The Changeling gave me a look I couldn’t quite place. “Oh. Well, that’s OK then.” He passed me a lump of clay. “This is just for fun and to relax, so there isn’t a set theme or assignment. Just sculpt whatever you want!” He was actually smiling by the end of that, so I felt better. “I’m Cornicle, by the way.”

I forgot I wasn’t wearing sleeves, so I tried to push them up twice before I remembered I almost never wore clothes anymore. Old habits you’ve had for a life are hard to break. I took my lump of clay, and got to work.

After being lost in the clay, and losing track of time, a female Changeling next to me asked, “What is that?”

I looked down, and swallowed nervously. “Uhlp. Whoops. I’m so used to sculpting humans that I didn’t realize I was sculpting one.”

The Changeling across from me asked, “What’s a human?”

I gave a shaky smile, and swallowed again. My eyes kept darting from side to side, and a bead of sweat formed on my forehead. “T-they’re uh, uh … something I made up?” It was the most unconvincing lie I’d ever told.

A female Changeling across the table and two seats down from me squealed “That is the cutest thing I have ever seen!”

The Changeling next to her said, “There should totally be a show or something about them!”

I blinked at that. I then snickered. I then started to laugh hysterically, with a dash of maniacal laughter thrown in for good measure. It got so bad that Thorax clamped a hoof over my mouth, and dragged me away from the table.

What is so funny?” he hissed.

I held my stomach, and calmed down a bit. “Heh, eh hee! A-all I’ll say is that sometimes, irony is just too sweet.” Thorax gave me a weary look. “S-sorry about that. It’s nothing, I promise.” He rolled his eyes.

“What is a human anyway? It’s really obvious when you’re lying, even without being able to sense emotions.”

I coughed into my paw. “Myformerspecies. From before I came here. I really wasn’t intending to do that.”

“Huh. They’re pretty strange looking.”

I shrugged. “Well, from my perspective, you’re all the aliens.” I looked down at myself. “I’m just more alien than you in both lives.” Thorax walked me back to the table, and I tried to finish the sculpture, since I couldn’t make everyling unsee it.

As I was working, I overheard some of the Changelings whispering. “That’s the king’s coltfriend? How old is he, twelve? Why does he always have to be so strange? I think he likes it.”

I did my best to ignore that, but it still hurt. After I finished my rather bad sculpture, I set in in the sun to dry. Pharynx walked up to Thorax, and said, “May I talk to you? Alone?” he said with a glare at me. He then pulled Thorax into a small court on the side of the Hive.

Given my super-hearing, I thought it would be best to get even further away than that. I tried teleporting a few dimensions away. I then blinked in surprise when I could see Thorax and Pharynx right in front of me, just slightly blurred. I facepawed. “Great. I’m in the mirror dimension.” It was the world on the other side of every mirror, which was a great way to spy on people, but that wasn’t what I had wanted.

I was about to leave, when Pharynx started shouting at Thorax. “What is the matter with you?! Why do you hang around with that, that-” He couldn’t find the word. “Thorax, you’re acting like a twenty year old! You have got to stop this, he’s dragging you down to his level, whether he means to or not! You have responsibilities to the Hive, you can’t just go prancing off on stupid adventures with him at the drop of a hat. He needs to be put back in his place, as far away from you as possible. He’s just … wrong for you.”

A Steinway grand piano came hurtling out of the sky, crushing Pharynx, leaving a gooey mess, a small crater, and the need for a very long-winded explanation.

My mouth dropped open, and I blinked. I sagged in relief when I realized I’d only imagined it, not actually done it. I looked down at my claws in shock. Maybe I should talk to somepony about this…?

Pharynx finished his rant by saying, “If you don’t do something about it, then I will, and I’ll make sure he never comes back here.” He stalked out of the court, still fuming.

Thorax walked back to where I’d been, and looked around when I wasn’t there. “Sec?” he called.

“Hi Thorax,” I said from behind him. He jumped slightly.

He then winced, and tapped his horn. “Ouch. OK, you’re totally depressed all of a sudden. I get that you change moods quickly, but what in Equestria happened this time?”

“I wanted to get away from you to give you and Pharynx some privacy, but I haven’t quite got inter-dimensional travel down yet, and instead I wound up in a reflection, so I overheard. Everything.” Thorax grimaced. “He’s right, maybe I am bad for you.” I continued. “Maybe I should just break this off early, I don’t want to make your family hate you just because you like me. You do have responsibilities to them. Thorax, they’re your subjects and your family, I’m just the crazy Draconequus who has a crush on you. I still don’t even know what you see in me. I guess I’ll see you later.”

I turned and walked away, when something slammed into me, and I wound up flat on my back. Thorax had a hoof on my chest, pinning me to the ground. There was a snarl on his muzzle. “You want to know what I see in you?” he shouted. He took a deep breath, and calmed down. “That night at the restaurant, honestly, I have no idea why I agreed to it. At the time, I thought it was just for a free diner. I was honestly attracted to you too, on a couple of levels. As I got to know you that night, I started to like you more and more. Over time, I kept finding out things we have in common, and I haven’t had that much in common with anypony before. You are a complete nut sometimes, but that is exactly the reason I like you!

“I got so wrapped up in running the Hive, and keeping everyling happy and things running smoothly, that I forgot to see the funny side to life. You’re a lot more mature than most ponies or my family see right away, but you still see the world with the fun of a foal. Do you have any idea what a gift it is to still think that … a pile of leaves, or a starry night is more magical than actual magic? As I’ve been around you, you’ve helped me to relearn that, and I’d been missing that part of me for a long time. I love that you still think it’s fun to play silly games with the ponies you love. My family just sees that as you being immature, which I know you aren’t. You just still make life fun.

“I can also tell that you hurt sometimes, which is something I don’t want you to go through. You don’t seem like the type to talk about things like that, but just know I’m here for you. So will you stop giving me dramatic ultimatums, and just let me love you?” He pulled his hoof off of me. Instead of standing up, I simply fell up, landing on my hoof and paw. Thorax gave me an evil grin. “You may just be a ‘crazy Draconequus,’ but you have waaaaayyyyy more than a crush on me.”

“I still think sensing emotions is cheating.” I huffed. I then rubbed my chest. “For looking like somepony could step on you, you pack a hell of a punch.”

Thorax beamed. “You can thank Pharynx for that. He’s been training me.”

“I can just imagine,” I said drily. “Thank you. For saying that. It made a huge difference, and it means a lot.” I then gave Thorax my evil grin. “So … should I start picking out our grandfoal’s names, or-” The blow I received to my stomach would have floored a black belt Klingon. I clutched my stomach, and wheezed, “Remind me to never mess with your brother. Or you.” Thorax simply smiled.

I grinned at Thorax. “Well, another good thing that came out of that is that I found out you have a semi-scary protective side like me. Usually when I protect people, the people hurting them need stitches, and that was withoutmagic, claws, or half a mouth of sharp teeth.”

Thorax blinked in surprise. “I thought you didn’t like to hurt things.”

I nodded. “I don’t like to hurt things, I’m the sort of person who carries spiders outside, but … you don’t mess with my loved ones.”

Thorax gave me a smug grin. “You’re a hooflefluff too, aren’t you?”

I rolled my eyes, but was still grinning. “Yes Thorax, I’m a hooflefluff too. It is the best house in the series!” Thorax tapped his hoof against my knuckles in a bro-hoof.

I looked at Thorax with a broad smile. “Thank you for being so wonderful. One of these days I’m going to have to owe you anything you want.”

Thorax’s eyelids lowered, and a smile oozed its way up his face. “Anything?” he whispered lowly.

I blinked. “Ehrm, technically, I’ve never been in a relationship, but is that the ‘Come Hither’ stare?”

Mmaaaaayyybe…” Thorax purred.

My eyes widened in alarm. “Please tell me you’re joking.”

Thorax coughed. “Sort of. Why, what’s wrong with-”

“Nothing!” I snapped. “Sorry. I’m just not ready for that part yet. It’s a little weird to me.” My face felt like it was on fire. “Besides, we’re (aherm!) very different biologically speaking.” I kept wishing I had a rock to hide under.

Thorax shrugged. “I’m sure we could make it work.” He smiled. “You’re cute when you’re embarrassed. Sorry if I weirded you out.”

“Are you attracted to me that way?” I asked with interest.

He nodded. “Yeah. It’s a little strange for me too. Don’t worry, I’m happy to wait until you’re a little more comfortable with it.” His smile grew. “May I at least be a gentlecolt and walk you home for the day?”

I folded my arms. “Technically, my realm is around the corner from the entire multiverse, so it’s really close by. Yes, actually. I think I’d like that.”

Thorax cleared his throat. “Dichotomy, dualism, duplex! Dichotomy, dualism, duplex!” he proclaimed. The portal to my realm opened on cue.

“You know, if somepony stopped you from being able to use your natural magic, I’m not sure you could do that, even with the passcode. I sort of coded the entrance to all of you, and your magic is a part of you. Sorry, blathering again. Shall we?” He nodded.

He walked me through, and we stayed on the edge of the sidewalk for a minute. “I’m keeping that sculpture,” he said with a smile. “Is it close to what you looked like?”

“Not really, no. I’m a terrible sculptor, I just enjoy it. If you really do want to know what I looked like, I can draw you a picture, I’m slightly better at that. Just please don’t let anyling see it, I’m not exactly supposed to talk about it, I just have no filter.” I smiled. “So, you got a music box, and a sculpture of an alien from another universe. Was that a good enough haul for your hatch day?”

Thorax nodded. “Yes. Honestly, my favorite part was seeing you again. I’m sure the Changelings will come around to liking you, just give them time. Pharynx is definitely getting a chewing-out from me.”

We walked up to the front door, the house loomed above us. I swallowed nervously. My paw was shaking as I pulled out my keys to unlock the door.

Thorax licked his lips, and looked at me with a puzzled expression. “What’s that emotion? I’ve never tasted it before.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I said flatly.

Thorax’s eyes widened. “It’s almost like ter-”

“ByeThoraxthanksforanotherwonderfuldayseeyoulater!” I slammed the door in his face before he could finish that sentence. I looked around the hall, which was full of lengthening shadows, and wondered why my paws wouldn’t stop shaking.

Over the next week, I was mostly on my own. I hated it. I wanted to visit my friends, but they were just that: my friends, not my puppets. They all had lives of their own, and I couldn’t just randomly drop by to cheer myself up, I wasn’t Discord. Even Thorax was too busy to let me visit.

Discord did drop by at an ungodly hour of the morning one day. Just because I didn’t physically need sleep didn’t mean I was ever going to convert to being a morning person. He told me that he was here to teach me a little more about being a Draconequus. I was interested in that, until I figured out what was involved.

He and I teleported to an empty patch of space, and he started putting my through paces. Judging from his overusing a whistle, the baseball cap, and the glint in his eyes, it was obvious that he was enjoying being a drill instructor for the day.

He had me attempt everything he could think of, and he had a better imagination than I did. Long-range teleportation, creation, destruction, shapeshifting, locating a point in space-time, almost anything I could have thought magic could do, and a few I hadn’t conceived of before.

When he was done, he dropped me back off at my realm. “I thought you were going to teach me about Draconequui?” I asked.

“I did. It’s not my fault if you didn’t learn the lesson. By the way, the Council is hoping to meet you soon.” He gave a cheery wave, and disappeared to gods-knew where. I collapsed into an armchair. Interestingly, if I thought about something in terms of a duality and how I could alter it, we hadn’t found anything I hadn’t been able to pull off. The more I practiced it, the easier it came, until I wasn’t consciously thinking about it. I learned really quickly that performing that much magic in so short a time completely drained me, so I had to limit what I did, instead of being able to constantly play God.

Two days after my trail run, I found a note from Twilight on my front porch. I had no idea how Spike was able to send a message to an alternate dimension. I was going to have to ask Twilight how they pulled that off. She had invited me to spend the day with her in Ponyville. My cheer rattled the windows.

I immediately showed up in the throne room, and cleared my throat. She jumped slightly. “Do you always have to turn up behind somepony?”

I shrugged. “It’s more fun that way.”

“Well, could you be a bit more obvious that you’ve teleported? You’re too quiet.”

“Sorry. I’ll work on that. It is fun to watch ponies jump though.” She rolled her eyes.

“So, what do I owe an invitation to? I’ve been wanting to drop by for a while, but I knew you were busy.”

“Why, were you spying on me again?” she snarked.

“No, I just knew better than to bother you. I wish I could have visited earlier, I’ve been a little lonely lately.”

“Well, you’re here now! Come on, I haven’t gotten out of the library for a few days-”

Six.” Spike mouthed at me.

“So, I thought I’d just go for a walk, and see how everypony’s doing!”

“Sure, sounds good.”

As we walked into town, everypony smiled, and gave a cheery wave. Part of me made a mental note: Get the ponies of Ponyville to like me: check. Get the Changelings to not hate me: not checked, add to ‘to do,’ underline in red.

Twilight was talking, and I was only half paying attention. She said, “Actually, since you moved out, it’s been refreshingly quiet around town. Er, no offence. Would you believe we haven’t had a monster attack in over six months! That’s got to be a record! Oh! Rarity said we could all get together for a spa day. Since you can pull bits out of thin air, would you like to come?”

I was probably hallucinating, but I could have sworn I heard the sound a record makes when it stops working. I looked at Twilight with worry. “Could you repeat that please?”

Twilight blinked. “Would you like to go to the spa with us?”

“No. Maybe. I don’t know. I meant the bit before that. How long has it been since you’ve had a monster attack?”

“Over six months.”

I gave Twilight a slightly crazed grin. “Any really pressing friendship problems?” She shook her head. “Map adventures?!” She shook her head again. I covered my face with my paws, in a pretty good impression of a weeping angel. “Great! We’re doomed! That just means we’re overdue for something even worse.”

“What are you talking about?” Twilight said in an angry tone.

“Around this point, something like a new villain showing up happens. I just know how stories work, OK?”

Twilight glared at me. “What are you talking about? We’re not fictional characters.”

“Of course not.” The usual brick wall had popped up directly behind Twilight, and it took up the entire street. Since the townsponies couldn’t see it, and walked through it like it wasn’t there, I assumed it wasn’t. I had the distinct feeling that if it could have, the wall would be making funny faces at Twilight behind her back. “Scat!” I yelled at it.

“Who are you talking to?!”

“Squirrel,” I said as the wall disappeared. “It’s fine, it’s gone now. I’m just overreacting about the whole peace and quiet thing, I’m sure. I don’t think my going to the spa would be a good idea. As you know very well, I’m not good at relaxing, or even at chillaxing. How about I meet you all at Sugarcube Corner after you’re done?”

Twilight nodded. “Sure, but you’ll have a long wait. You’ll be alright on your own?”

I grinned. “It’s been a while since I’ve turned the town upside-down, and now that I have magic, weeelllll…” The glare I got would have scorched my eyebrows off. “Can’t anypony take a joke anymore?” Twilight sighed heavily, and headed off to be with her friends. My fingers twitched slightly, I guess I was nervous.

I just sort of wandered around town for a bit. I’d only been gone for slightly over two weeks, but it was still nice to see everything. I sort of felt like living in Ponyville was another chapter of my life, and I couldn’t get it back quite the way it had been. I stopped in the middle of the street, blinking in surprise. Thinking the word “chapter” had given me the weirdest feeling. I shook it off.

After about three hours, Twilight and her friends finally returned to the outside world. “Hiya, Halvsies!” said Rainbow.

“Hello to you too. Well, how was it?”

“Simply divine!” sighed Rarity happily. “You really should have joined us, it would have done wonders for your fur!”

“Thanks, but just drying off after taking a shower is irritating enough. Twilight tell you about my treat?”

“Mmm-hmm!” said Pinkie happily. She then zoomed off in a pink blur.

“There’s no halfway with her, is there?” I commented drily.

“Well, she does work at Sugarcube Corner, so it makes sense for her to be there before us,” said Twilight.

“I guess so.”

When we got there, I glanced at the menu. “Let’s see … I’d like-”

Pinkie held up a glass. “One peanut butter malt with coconut, and chocolate!”

I blinked in surprise. “That’s … exactly what I would have ordered. How’d you do that?”

“I know my business!” Pinkie said with a grin.

After everypony got their orders, we sat at a table. Starlight casually told me, “So, I got a letter from Thorax about his hatch day …” I choked on my drink. “… all good, of course,” she finished with a puzzled expression.

“That’s good,” I said weakly.

“Although, he says you said you were kind of violent when you were younger?” she asked.

I nodded. “Yeah. There’s not much I can do to deny it. Actually, I’m still a bit violent, I just control it much better.”

Rainbow raised a brow. “You’ve never eaten anypony or anything, have you?”

I smirked. “I didn’t exist here until a few days before Fluttershy found me in the woods. In the year that I’ve been here, the closest thing I’ve had to meat is eggs. Besides, there aren’t a lot of people back home who actually eat hors- oh gods, I did it again.” I muttered. I downed the rest of my malt. “See you all later!” I said quickly. I payed for everypony’s sugar-rush, and I swept out, the door nearly catching my cheetah tail as I left.

I was sitting on a park bench, when the CMC came up to me. “Hiya, Dra- Secundus!” said Applebloom.

“Hi, it’s nice to see you again.”

Applebloom looked to the other two. “So, me and the girls were wondering…”

“Can you make it snow in summer?” asked Scootaloo excitedly.

*Snap!* *WHUMPH!* Three heads popped out of a freshly-created snowbank. “Awesome!” cheered Scootaloo.

As the three dashed off, I heard a throat being cleared angrily behind me. I turned, and saw Twilight, Starlight, and Spike. Twilight had that special glare she reserved just for me. I sighed. “It’s only in the park, it’ll be melted by the late afternoon, and it isn’t cold enough to damage the plants. Can’t I at least try and make them smile?” Twilight rolled her eyes, and nodded. “Besides, I’ve wanted to make it snow in summer since I was a kid!” I said smugly.

As Twilight opened her mouth to tell me off, I clutched my stomach. There was a knot in there that was working its way up my throat. I felt like I was going to throw up, only worse. As my cheeks bulged, Twilight asked “Uh, you OK?”

“Uurrrp!” Black and white flames shot out of my mouth, along with a scroll. Spike started rolling on the ground laughing. “So that’s what that feels like,” I said queasily.

I picked the scroll up, and brushed the snow off of it. It had a rather ornate seal of a Draconequus with its tail in its mouth like an ouroboros. I sliced the scroll open, and squinted at it. The writing was fairly loopy calligraphy, so I read it out loud to try and make sense of it. “To Secundus, Spirit of Duality: Many congratulations, and warm regards. You are hereby summoned to a specially-convened meeting of the Draconequine Council, starting …. Now?” I asked. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

*BAMF!*

I’d traveled across dimensions before, but only a few short trips. This felt like I was being pulled out of any dimension, and going somewhere very, very ‘other.’ When it stopped, I leaned against a wall, and waited for my head to stop spinning. I then examined the wall. It was an image of space that was moving, galaxies and stars slowly wheeling across it. The floor looked the same, as did the ceiling. I got the feeling that I was in space, in a room with walls and a floor that weren’t there, but somehow were. At that point, the headache got really bad.

“Hi there! Glad you could finally make it!” called a familiar voice. I looked up, and saw Discord.

“Nice to see you too,” I said. “Where am I?”

Discord shrugged. “Nowhere. Everywhere. Does it matter? This is a meeting and a party to welcome you! We’re lucky to get a new Draconequus maybe every four eons, so it’s always a reason to celebrate! When you’re up for it, I’ll introduce you to everyDraconequus!”

After a few feet, Discord’s fur bristled, and he slightly snarled out of reflex. “Hello, Steve,” he said in the tone of voice you address the black sheep of the family with.

“Hello, Discord!” said Steve in far too cheery a tone. Steve was about the same height as Discord, and a light tan from head to hooves. He didn’t have any horns, and his mane was very carefully combed, and his dark brown goatee was much shorter and more carefully trimmed than mine or Discord’s. His eyes were a light grey. He was perfectly symmetrical, bear paws for hands, goat hooves for feet, lengthy otter tail. He looked perfectly harmless, but I got the feeling that’s what made him dangerous. Something about him made me think of an auditor, and lots of paperwork. Discord was glaring at him with unconcealed contempt.

“Woah!” I said in surprise.

“Yes?” said Steve in his slightly nasal voice.

I blinked to make sure I was still seeing it. “When you two get close enough, I can actually see your magic interacting.” It was true, Discord’s purple-plaid aura was colliding with Steve’s dark grey aura, then the two would magnetically repel each-other in the shape of a breaking wave. “Are you the Spirit of Order?”

“Smart kid,” Steve said with a grin. “Hope this one hasn’t messed you up for life,” he said with a glare at Discord. Discord growled back.

“Why do you two hate each other?” I asked.

Discord shouted, “Because he imposes rules on everything and takes the joy out of existence,” at the same time Steve shouted, “Because he ruins eons of careful work just for a laugh!”

“You do know you need each other, right?” I asked.

Hardly,” Discord growled.

“Without order, there would be never-ending changelessness, and chaos would simply be the new order. Permanent unpredictability becomes predictable.” I turned to Steve. “Just order becomes stagnation, no change means no growth. No growth, no life, no point to the universe. Just rocks orbiting dead stars. Life needs chaos in order to exist, and order needs chaos to give it a definition.”

“Well, you do make a valid point, but don’t expect us to form a truce anytime soon,” Discord sighed. “Eons of antagonism aren’t going to go away overnight.”

“Then have a working antagonism instead of just trying to destroy one another’s work.”

Rather than reply to that, Steve smirked, and said, “There’s a buffet if you think you could be hungry.” I nodded, and he led me over to a table.

“Hey! You have those sandwich wrap things!”

Steve chuckled. “They’re only here because you want them to be. Don’t worry, I won’t judge your definition of ‘party food.’”

I thought for a minute and held out a paw. Eel sushi. I pictured. A plateful popped into my paw. I grinned and ate almost the whole plate at once.

Steve laughed again. “I’m beginning to see why you and Discord get along so well. You know, if you like that, there’s a kind of … ‘burrito’ very similar on a small planet about twenty steps away from Equestria you’d like. I’d be happy to take you some time.”

“Thanks, I’d like that.” Steve clapped me on the back, and spotted someDraconequus he wanted to say “Hello” to. He wandered away.

A voice came from behind me, followed immediately by another, the two had a conversation like a game of tennis, back and forth between them.

“Sorry, couldn’t help but overhear-”

“Great job getting those two to not kill each other-”

“Don’t worry-”

“We’ve got our duality sorted perfectly between us.”

Behind me were two male Draconequui. One was white, with gold eyes, rabbit ears and paws, a rabbit’s tail, and no horns. The other was black, with red eyes, scaly hands and feet, goat ears, ram’s horns, the typical “demon tail,” and red markings throughout his fur. He was also trailing smoke, or something that looked like smoke.

“Pleased to make your acquaintance,” said the white Draconequus. He pointed at himself. “Hulis,”

The other cut in with “and Yfel,” the two then bowed with a flourish, “at your service!” they said in unison, sounding like Fili and Kili from The Hobbit.

My head tilted as I thought for a minute. “Good and Evil?”

Yfel smiled. “Yes!”

“Are you two … twins?” I asked uncertainly.

“Yep!” said Yfel.

“But I’m older,” said Hulis.

“By two minutes!” groaned Yfel. He turned to me and sighed theatrically. “Honestly, he’s been lording that over me my entire life. His concept really isn’t all that much older than mine, despite what he says.”

“Says the Spirit who invented lying,” said Hulis with a grin.

Yfel rolled his eyes. “Doesn’t mean I’m always lying,” he muttered. He then put an arm around me. “It’s a pity you work for this two-headed brother of mine,” he said, pointing with his thumb, “evil’s a lot more fun. We could have used another Draconequus willing to turn reality inside out for fun.”

“Who’s the oldest Draconequus?” I asked with curiosity.

“Tempus,” said Hulis as Yfel said “Nova.” “They’re the only ones who know how old they are, or which of them is older,” continued Hulis. “It’s a bit of a running joke, especially since neither of them will tell the rest of us exactly how old they are. Tempus is the head of the Council. I think you’ll like him. Nova is his wife, they’ve been married almost as long as they’ve existed. Anyways, we’ve got to disappear for a bit, but it was nice to meet you. Looking forward to working with you in future, cousin.”

After they left, I remembered that Draconequui all referred to each other as “cousin.” A few seconds later, something thin and pointy poked me in the lower back. “Excuse me,” came a feminine, whispery voice, “Could you pass the quiche there to your left?

“Sure,” I said, turning around, “here you – YEEEAAAUUGGH!!!!” Standing behind me was a silk spider the size of a German Shepheard, with legs twice as long as my arm. I dropped the plate and ran for my life.

Discord found me trying to hide in a corner of the room. “What’s up?” he asked with interest.

“T-there’s a giant spider!” I croaked.

Discord laughed. “Oh, that’s just Destiny. She’s the Spirit of – well, I’m sure it’s fairly self-explanatory.”

“I don’t like spiders,” I muttered.

“Judging by the way you’re twitching, and the fact that you smell scared enough to wet yourself, I’d have to say no, you don’t,” Discord said with an evil grin. “Why don’t you?”

“They remind me of my dad,” I said quietly.

“Why would spiders remind you of-”

“I DON’T want to talk about it!” I snapped.

“Fair enough,” Discord shrugged. “She’s really very nice when you get to know her. You’ll have to get used to it eventually, but … I guess you can take it a step at a time. For example, I am plagued by nightmares of fluffy bunnies, but I’m sure you can work that one out.” He smiled.

A thought struck me. “Under that annoying personality, and the endless put-downs, you actually care about me, don’t you?” I was grinning evilly as I said it.

Discord stammered, “Well, I wouldn’t go so far as to say I-”

“Don’t try to deny it, Discord!” laughed a passing Draconequus. I stared at it. It looked like a floating brain, with tiny electrons orbiting it. I got the feeling it was genderless. It was also levitating a large pile of what looked suspiciously like Snickers bars.

I looked around the room more carefully. While most of the Draconequui did follow the noodle-horse design, some looked very different. There was Destiny, the floating brain, a Draconequus who looked like green flames writhing around, and one whose physical appearance couldn’t be accurately described the minute you looked away from … him?

“I thought ‘Draconequus’ meant ‘Dragon-pony?’” I asked.

“Well, we don’t all look alike, any more than humans all look alike,” came a voice to my left. The Draconequus who spoke was even taller than Discord, and very friendly looking. He was almost the same shade of brown as Steve, but with long black hair that curled into ringlets. His hair matched his beard, and both nearly went down to his waist. His tail was long and furry, like a cat’s. He had a spectacular rack of reindeer antlers, and hazel eyes that twinkled. He also had the smile of someone who knew far more than they would ever let on. In a funny way, he reminded me of Santa Claus.

“Besides, we don’t always have the same shape, as I’m sure you’ve figured out by now,” he continued.

I thought about it. “When Discord had me chase him … I was a lion on another world. It just sort of happened, I didn’t even have to think about it.”

“Naturally, I was a fox,” said Discord with a grin. He then gestured at the other Draconequus, “Secundus, this is Tempus, Spirit of Time, and head of the Draconequine Council.”

“Nice to meet you the right way ‘round,” said Tempus, shaking my paw.

“Uh, should I bow, or something?”

“Only if you have the overwhelming need to do so,” said Tempus with a wide grin. “I don’t feel the need to be worshiped. This one, on the other paw,” he said, pointing at Discord. “On Melaven they offer a sacrifice once a month to appease him and keep him away from their planet. You do know it’s blasphemy for a Spirit to claim to be a god, don’t you Discord?” Tempus teased.

“I don’t claim to be a god, I just … don’t dissuade anyone of the notion I am a god,” Discord said innocently. “If mortals want to worship me, who am I to stand in their way?”

Tempus rolled his eyes. He then sighed, and said, “Regrettably, there is a business aspect to this meeting, we’ll be starting in about twenty minutes. Enjoy yourselves!” He swept away.

Discord conjured up some chocolate milk, and offered me a glass. “So, how goes it with you and the bug?” he asked.

Thorax and I are doing just fine, thank you. How are you and Fluttershy doing?” Discord choked on his glass. “Fair’s fair,” I said with a grin.

Discord sighed. “If you must know, I’ve officially asked her out. Yes, on a date. Don’t pry any more than that. Just because your boyfriend eats love, it doesn’t make you an expert on the subject.”

“Are you cutting in on my business?” asked a voice jokingly. A silver Draconequus with deep red hair and green eyes floated over to us.

Discord broke into a smile. “Seraphina! Glad you could make it! Secundus, this is Seraphina, Spirit of Love.”

“Among, other, related emotions,” she said with a toothy smile. It took me a minute to get what she meant. She then gave a less scary smile, and said, “I’m glad you and Thorax met, you two are perfect together!”

My treacherous mouth blurted out, “You didn’t force us to fall in love, did you?”

Seraphina looked shocked. “Of course not! I never do that!” She then thought about it. “I … might have given you a gentle nudge, but that’s all.”

I folded my arms. “Going from complete strangers to coltfriends in less than forty-eight hours is not a gentle nudge, that’s skipping at least three stages of courtship.” I said flatly.

Seraphina shrugged. Seeing I didn’t believe her, she sighed, and said, “I swear on the First Sentence that I did not force you or Thorax to fall in love with each other.”

EveryDraconequus in the room let out a gasp, and in one fluid motion, ran to the other end of the room. I was the only Draconequus within four feet of Seraphina. One of the Draconequui closer to us was trying to elbow his way into the crowd.

“What just happened?” I asked.

Discord pulled me into the huddle. “That thing you just got her to do? Swearing by the-” A paw was quickly clamped over his mouth. He rolled his eyes, and removed it. “If she’s being untruthful, you do not want to be in the fallout zone.” When there wasn’t some sort of nuclear explosion, everyDraconequus relaxed, and went back to the party.

“See?” Seraphina said in a reasonable tone.

I nodded. “What’s the … thing you swore by?”

“If the multiverse is a story, the First Sentence is what created it, and got it moving. The gods get … tetchy if you swear falsely by it.”

“It’s not like the gods would kill us, right?” I joked. EveryDraconequus was suddenly very interested in watching a large galaxy wheel across the ceiling. “Oh.” I croaked.

Discord sighed. “They’re one of the only things that can kill us. It’s incredibly rare, but if a Draconequus ruins creation too much, irreversibly by our standards, it does happen. When it happens, they don’t just kill the Draconequus, they unmake them. So that they never existed at all, and not even we can remember them. We don’t know how many times it’s happened, just that it has. The gods are usually very nice, loving, merciful people, but … don’t make them too angry.” This last part was said with a smile. I swallowed, and nodded.

Seraphina smiled, and said, “I really didn’t do much for you and Thorax, you two are practically soulmates.”

“I don’t believe in soulmates,” I growled.

“Doesn’t mean they don’t believe in you,” she said with a wink. At that, I chuckled.

“You know kid, I think we’re all going to get to like you,” a voice said from behind me. I heard it with my ears, but it sounded like it was in the back of my head.

Looking around, I saw a walking skeleton. It followed the Draconequus noodle design, it was mostly spine, with human looking arm bones, and velociraptor legs, feet, and claws. It had a cat skull, and a long, bony tail, which ended in a long, curved bone that looked like a giant claw, or, if you thought about it another way, a scythe.

“Spirit of Death?” I asked him. I got the feeling he was a him, not an it.

“And Entropy,” he said, extending a hand. “Name’s Encore.”

“Pleasure to meet you. ‘Encore’ is a funny name for the Spirit of Death.”

Encore’s fixed grin somehow seemed to widen. “In a play or a musical, an encore is the number that comes after the main work is concluded, as a way of thanking the audience for coming. Trust me, it fits. Oh, since my cousin was kind enough to remind me that you’re in a relationship with a mortal, I have one or two things about that to tell you that I’m uniquely qualified to.”

“Just out of curiosity, is there an afterlife?”

One of Encore’s eye sockets grew noticeably darker for a second. “That would be telling,” he said. I figured out that he had winked. “See you around little cousin, I’ve got a lot to tell you.” He stalked off to join the party.

Tempus’s sense of timing was, naturally, flawless, and exactly twenty minutes after he’d said so, he called, “If we could all please have a seat? We need to begin.”

At one end of the long room were rows of seats, in front of a table with ornately designed chairs behind it. We all took our seats, I was apparently supposed to sit front and center, thankfully Discord was right next to me.

I looked at the Draconequine Council with interest, they were my bosses after all. Tempus sat at the center of the long table. To his right was a floating spiral galaxy, he was holding the tip of one of its arms the way you would hold someone’s hand. I figured that this was Nova, his wife. I got the feeling that she was the size of an actual galaxy, I was just seeing her from a long way off.

To Nova’s right was the floating brain Draconequus, to its right sat Hulis and Yfel.

The left side of the table only had two Draconequui, neither of whom I’d been introduced to. One looked like a floating Draconequus shadow, and was studying me intently. The other Draconequus looked like it was made of pinkish crystal.

Tempus banged a gavel. “So! Now that we are all here who ought to be all here…” There were some chuckles from the crowd. “As I’m sure most of us are aware, we have a new addition to the family. EveryDraconequus, this is Secundus, the Spirit of Duality. Be nice to him, he’s a little out of his depth.”

“Hello, everyDraconequus, I hope that I can get to know you better, and hopefully get along with all of you, this is really new for me.”

“Aw, we’re fine, once you get to know us!” called someDraconequus from the back. EveryDraconequus laughed.

“Is it true you’re an ascended human?” asked the Draconequus next to me with interest. I nodded. “Woah. That’s new,” he said with shock. “I wonder why They did that.”

“I have no idea,” I said with a smile. “I didn’t exactly ask for it.”

“Humans are pretty chaotic, but for a mortal species, they’ve got a great gift for opening their minds to other worlds,” said Steve with a smile.

“You know, if I pick that apart in my head for a few days, I could almost get it to sound like a compliment.” I snarked.

“You’re welcome,” Steve replied.

Tempus cleared his throat. “So, Secundus, if it hasn’t been explained to you, your newfound occupation is to solve problems with dualities across the multiverse. Luckily for you, they’re very rare. Problems with time on the other paw…. Anyways, after enough practice, you’ll be able to sense when and where a duality problem arises, as well as which specific duality is the issue. For now, we’ll be nice, and tell you when and where any arise. Since almost any concept can fit into a duality, you might just be one of the more powerful Sprits here. Who knows? Maybe you’ll be on the Council one day.”

“You’d give the trainee a spot on the Council?!” shouted Steve in outrage.

“Not for hundreds of years. Relax. I’m sure you can always run for reelection,” said Tempus with a grin.

“I never win the popular vote,” muttered Steve.

“So, we’re a democratic, representative, oligarchy?” I asked in confusion.

“Something a bit like that,” said the Draconequus who was surprised I had been human. He was grinning.

“So, welcome Secundus, if you have any questions, track one of us down and ask, just don’t always straight answer,” finished Tempus. I opened my mouth. “All the time in the worlds. Actually, much more that just that,” he answered with a smile. I hadn’t even asked the question.

“Are you reading my mind?” I asked in a confused tone. Tempus shrugged.

“He’s omniscient,” whispered Discord.

“Oh.” I said.

Tempus banged his gavel. “I declare this meeting adjourned.” As everyDraconequus got up, and started to head back out into the multiverse, Tempus walked over to me, bent down, and stared right in my eyes. I hissed in slight pain. “Sorry. Some free advice for the future: Second chances? Be sure to pass them on.” With that puzzling statement, he faded out.

Within minutes, Discord and I were the only ones in the large star-hall. “So, what did you think? You somehow hung on to your sanity.”

“You sound disappointed. Actually, I like them. They’re a bit like much friendlier versions of the Q.”

Discord let out an exaggerated happy squeal. “I’ve never found another Draconequus who likes that show!” Discord snapped his fingers, and was quickly dressed in a yellow Command Uniform. I looked down and saw that I was a redshirt, with a phaser burn eating through my left heart.

“Har, Har.” Discord pulled out a phone and snapped a selfie of us. “I would have taken you for a Next Generation fan,” I commented.

Discord waved his talons dismissively. “Oh, Johnny’s alright in his own way, but Kirk really new how to have fun. Besides, I don’t want you giving away any secret identities.” I laughed at that. “So, I guess I’ll take you home now.”

My words started coming out in a rush. “Dowehaveto? I mean, there’s so much I want to ask, or see, or, or – Say, why don’t we-”

Discord smiled. “There’ll be time for all that, don’t worry.” He snapped his fingers, and we were standing on the porch of my Realm. Discord then sniffed. “You smell almost as scared as when you met Destiny. What’s up?”

Discord, the actual Spirit of Chaos, backed away at the crazed smile I gave him. It was just one step, but still. “NOTHING! NOTHING AT ALL! It’s just a house, right?!!! It’s not like it hears my every thought!! It’s just empty! Big deal! So what? TOODLES!!!” I slammed and locked the door, digging my claws into my left arm.


A week after I met with the Council, Thorax was sleeping peacefully in bed. He started twitching in his sleep, something felt horribly wrong in his head. He then sat bolt upright in bed, breathing heavily. He heard something else breathing raggedly, mixed in with the occasional sob. He looked across the room, and saw two glowing blue irises in the dark.

“GAAAAAAHHH!!!” He screamed.

“H-Hi.” I managed to get out.

Thorax examined the clock on the wall in the dark, Changeling have very good night vision. “Sec?” he groaned, “It’s three-thirty in the morning. Go home.”

“I am home,” I said quietly.

Thorax then realized where what he’d been feeling in his nightmare had come from. “Holy Celestia! What is wrong with you?!”

“D-don’t – don’t make m-me go back,” was all I got out.

What?” Thorax asked in a confused tone.

I stared at the floor in front of my hoof and paw, just sitting for a minute. “D-don’t make me be alone. Please. When I’m alone for too long, I think horrible things, … and I just – I can’t – The shadows start talking, and I can’t tell them from me, and … all I can do is stop myself from screaming. Don’t make me go somewhere I can find me.”

Thorax’s mouth dropped open. “I swear, I had no idea!”

“I know. I’m not a talker.” I looked up, trying to look him in the eyes. “When I’m with you, that part of me doesn’t talk. Ever. That makes you my home, so wherever you are, I’m home. Don’t take that away from me. Don’t make me go back, please.”

Thorax got off the bed, and slowly trotted over to me. He extended a hoof, and I bit down a snarl in the back of my throat. He then sat down, and put his leg around me, leaning against me. He noticed dark blue crust on my arm. “What-?” I held out my claws. “Sec…” he said softly.

“It’s … not what it looks like. I just dig my nails into my arm sometimes, and I’d forgotten I have claws now.”

We sat in silence for nearly twenty minutes, not knowing what to say. Finally, Thorax stood up, walked over to his bed, and took the comforter in his mouth. “’ove over,” he got out.

“What?”

Thorax spat the blanket out. “Move over.”

“Why?”

Thorax sighed. “You’re a nervous wreck, but if you sleep in my bed, I know I’ll do something you’re not ready for yet, so move over.”

I scooted over. Thorax laid down, and draped the comforter over us. “We need to talk, but for now, I want to get back to sleep,” he said in a tired tone.

I nodded. “G’night. Sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry.” Within ten minutes Thorax was snoring adorably. After putting an arm over him, and listening to him breathe, I somehow knew that it would all be OK.


The next morning, Thorax woke up, and I quickly gave him some personal space. He stretched like a cat again. I wondered if he did that every morning. Part of me wanted to find out. He looked at me. “Not a dream…” he said with a tired smile. I’d honestly forgotten what not getting a full night’s sleep did to a person.

“Nope, it’s me, your knight in shining abusrdity.”

“You aren't too absurd,” he said with a laugh.

“Mmm. Probably not.” I passed him a steaming Styrofoam cup.

Thorax smiled, and took a deep sip. His eyes widened in shock. “AACKPPPTHHH!” he spat it out. “What is that?”

I took the cup, and gave it a cautious sniff. “Heh. Whoops. I was thinking one too many things at once, and accidentally made coffee with Red Bull instead of water.”

Thorax turned greener than normal. He then actually laughed. “I … appreciate the thought, but I think I’d rather wake up under my own power.” I nodded, and sent the cup back into non-existence. “I’m glad you’re feeling better,” Thorax said kindly.

“Cheater,” I said with a smile.

“Evolutionary advantage,” Thorax said with a smug grin.

I looked around the room, getting a better view in the daylight. There was a queen-sized bed, a dresser, a desk, various comic or movie posters on the walls, and some shelves. True to Thorax’s word, his music box, and my sculpture had a place on one of the shelves. I stretched, working out the kinks in my spine. “So … thank you. That made more of a difference than I would have thought possible. I should get going, I’m sure you’ve got a busy day.”

“Actually … would you mind staying for a bit? There’s something I want to do, and I really need your help to do it.”

“Sure. What is it?”


“HE’S WHAT?!!” all the Changelings shouted.

“Moving in,” Thorax said firmly. “I’m not going to hear any arguments about it.” My mouth dropped open.

“Doesn’t he have his own private dimension?” asked a Changeling in the second row.

Thorax looked at me. I shook my head. “He … can’t live there. The reason why is personal.”

“So where’s he going to live, your room?” said a Changeling with an evil grin.

No. There’s a room down the hall we’re not using he can convert. Now, if everyling could get back to work?” The Changeling scattered.

“You really are more assertive,” I said in slight shock. Thorax grinned. “I wasn’t asking to move in, I was just having a bad night, and you really don’t have to-”

“You’re terrified of that house, right?” I closed my eyes, and nodded. “Then it’s settled. I don’t want you to have to go through anything like that again. Besides, it’s a lot easier for you to move in with me than for me to move in with you.”

I chuckled. “True, that.”

Thorax led me to the hall where his room was, and pointed at an open entrance. “Well, I said room, but it’s more of a broom closet. Plus, there’s no door. Changelings aren’t used to doors yet. I figured you could always-” *SNAP!* “Just do that,” he finished, looking at the now bigger room. I opened a hole in space, and pulled my journal out, as well as some books that I started putting on the new shelves. “No bed?” Thorax asked in a puzzled tone.

I shrugged. “I don’t sleep more than maybe once or twice a month, and that’s a lot of sleep for that month. The floor’s fine, it’s actually kind of warm.”

“Ookaaayy,” Thorax teased.

“Is it alright if I wander the halls a bit? If I’m going to live here, I’d like to be able to find my way around much better than I currently can. I promise not to break anything.”

“Sure!” Thorax grinned. “If you need anything, just ask a Changeling. They have to get used to you, too.”

I chuckled. “That’s probably going to be a lot harder.” Thorax gave a wave goodbye, and buzzed off into a slowly-shifting doorway. I sat at the small desk, and wrote a letter to Twilight, asking her to inform her friends about my change of address. I also sent a letter to the Council. If Tempus really was omniscient, it probably wasn’t necessary, but I’m a creature of habit.

I then started to meander the halls, not really having a particular destination in mind, just trying to memorize where everything was most of the time. When Changelings spotted me, they would either smile and wave, or bust up laughing, then start whispering with their friends. I’d gotten worse reactions, so I was thankful it was this mild.

I rounded a corner, and nearly ran over Pharynx. I wasn’t the best at reading people, but I didn’t have to be empathic to get a really good idea of what he was feeling. We just stared at each other in an uncomfortable silence. Pharynx then sighed, and said, “Look, to be honest, I don’t like you.” He held up a hoof to block my protest. “But! That doesn’t mean I can’t get used to you. I will give you one thing: you love my brother an amazing amount. I’ve never seen him happier, I guess he just needed someling to help him rediscover his inner grub,” Pharynx was actually grinning at that. He then looked upset. “Listen, I’m uh, sorry. For what I said that day. It’s just-”

“I’m incredibly annoying, I know.”

“You still shouldn’t have been listening!”

I held up my paws in defense. “It was a total accident! I swear!”

Pharynx chuckled. “I believe you.” He then smirked evilly, in a near-perfect copy of Thorax’s evil grin. “Just out of curiosity, could you do me a favor?”

I blinked. “Sure. What is it?”

“Some of the younger Changelings want to see if they could make it into the guards. I need to test them, and, well, having a target that’s a better shape-shifter than they are would really be hoofy. Don’t worry, I’ll tell them to take it easy on you.”

My eyes widened in fear. What did I just get myself into?


I slithered along the floor like an oversized snake, occasionally using my arms to drag myself along. Having a healing rate as fast as mine had probably saved my life, and my injuries were already quickly recovering. By some Rule of Funny, my goatee wasn’t covered under that insurance policy, and so the smoking stub would take a few weeks to grow back. The rest of my fur was also smoking lightly in some places. “‘Take it easy on me’ my-”

“What happened to you?” Thorax asked in shock.

I looked up at him and groaned. “I just spent most of the day being target practice for the new guard recruits. It’s my fault, I agreed to it without knowing what it was. It actually helped them a bit, but it hurt like hell.” I grinned. “Don’t worry, I got them back.”

“Oh, yeah? How?” Thorax asked with a grin.

“Compared to most of the lifeforms in the multiverse, I am essentially a very friendly, sci-fi and fantasy loving … Lovecraftian entity. On occasion, I act like it. They did ask me to shape-shift into dangerous things,” I said happily.

“They don’t know how good an imagination you have,” Thorax chuckled. “I’m not going to have to pay for anyling’s therapy, am I?” I gave a weak shrug. “Can you stand up?”

“I’d rather not for a while, what did you need?”

“Can you teleport?” I nodded. “There’s some caverns under the northwest section of the Hive. Can you take us there?”

“Easier done than said.” I looked around the caverns with interest. I stood up, and gave a loud, hissing snarl, my tongue flailing out of my mouth. I clapped a paw over it. “Please excuse me. I shouldn’t have stood up that quickly. Still sore!”

“So that’s what that looks like,” Thorax said.

“Yeeesss. What’re we doing here?”

Thorax took my paw, and led me over to a pool of water that was fed from an underground spring. I noticed it was steaming slightly. I dipped my lion paw in, and gave a happy sigh. I then dove right in.

“Hope that helps,” Thorax said with a grin. He walked out. Half an hour later, he walked back in. “So! How are you-” he noticed that I was still underwater. “SEC?!” His horn lit up, and I shot out of the water, ending up laying down on the cavern floor. Thorax noticed I wasn’t breathing, and put an ear to my chest.

I sat up, and glared. “I thought you wanted me to relax?”

“… YOU WEREN’T BREATHING!” shouted Thorax.

“I was underwater! Even for me, drowning would be uncomfortable.”

Thorax burst out laughing, and started rolling around on the floor, laughing hysterically.

After he clamed down a bit, I asked, “You OK?”

Thorax wiped away a tear. “Heh! Yeah. This just isn’t how I wanted your first day in the Hive to go.”

I smiled. “Me either, but, somehow, it worked.”

Thorax then did something completely unexpected, he leaned up and kissed me. One of my hearts stopped beating, and the other heartrate tripled. I could vaguely make out Thorax saying, “Oh, good grief, I think I broke him. Sec? Sec?! SEC?!!” he shouted right in my ear.

“Hmm?”

Thorax took note of my expression. “Let me guess,” he said with a raised eyebrow, “first kiss?”

“Mmm-hmm!” I nodded with a stupid grin on my muzzle.

Thorax chuckled. “Come on, let’s go home.”


A week later, in the middle of the night, I was laying on the “roof” of the Hive, looking up at the stars. I’d only seen that many stars at night when I was way up in the mountains, it was breathtaking. I had a flower in my paw, and was just idly picking petals off of it. I was also singing a round with myself.

You'll always be a part of me

I'm part of you indefinitely

Boy don't you know you can't escape me

Ooh darling 'cause you'll always be my baby

And we'll linger on

Time can't erase a feeling this strong

No way you're never gonna shake me

Ooh darling 'cause you'll always be my baby

There was a buzzing sound, and a night guard landed next to me, with an amused grin. “Kind of late to be outside.”

I shrugged, an embarrassed grin on my face. “Sorry. I don’t sleep. Unless I want to, which is kind of rare nowadays. I should have mentioned that.”

He chuckled. “That would have been useful to know, yes. I had no idea what you were when I heard you.” His grin got bigger. “I don’t think Dread Maulwurfs sing that well, though.”

I laughed. “Thanks. Stemmatal, right?”

He nodded. “Yep! Well, have a good evening! Stay safe, it can be a bit dangerous in the Badlands at night.”

I nodded and he flew back into the Hive. Thorax crossed my mind again, and I started singing under my breath.

When you want it the most,

There’s no easy way out

When you’re ready to go,

And you’re heart’s left in doubt

Don’t give up on your faith,

Love comes to those who believe it

And that’s the way it is!

It was at that exact instant that I realized something important, that I hadn’t put into words even in my head. Oh. I love him.


The next three months went by surprisingly quickly. I mostly just helped out around the Hive, doing small jobs. Within a month, I could find my around as well as a Changeling. Things were going spectacularly well for me.

True to his word, Encore wrote, and asked if he could drop by and explain one or two facts about mortal relationships, and he did. Once he realized how good I was at imitating voices, he also taught me something cool about his voice, and what it could be used for.

One afternoon, Twilight wrote me, and asked if I could drop by. I decided to take her literally, and belly-flopped into the castle. I stood up, and dusted myself off. I noticed that the rest of the Mane Six were there, and were all dressed for a trip up North.

“What’s up?” I asked.

Twilight held out a scroll. “We just got a letter from Cadence. She said she’s been a little on-edge lately. She doesn’t know why, nothing’s noticeably wrong. She just feels something spooky.”

“Well, it can be good to trust your gut.”

“Do you wanna go with us to visit her?” Pinkie asked eagerly.

I smiled. “Su-” There was a sound like an old-fashioned telephone ringing. Since the telephone hadn’t been invented in Equestria yet, there was only one thing it could be.

“What in the world is that?” asked Rarity.

“My pager,” I groaned. I held out a paw, and a letter popped into existence in it. I quickly scanned the letter, then I crinkled it up, and made it disappear. “Sorry. Duty calls. I’m sure Cadence and everypony are fine. What could happen?” I snapped my fingers, and disappeared out into the multiverse.



Two universes away, a large planet had inexplicably stopped rotating. Since this caused a problem in the duality of Day and Night, it fell under my jurisdiction. The locals were called the Vash’tu, and looked like anthropomorphic triceratops with a third, vertical eye in their foreheads. They were very advanced scientifically, but also firmly believed in Spirits, which meant I didn’t have to work undercover.

I hadn’t been expecting to just snap my fingers and be done with it, but it took longer than I expected. The Vash’tu scientists determined that they best way I could help would be to very lightly readjust the gravity of their suns and moons. I could do that, but it completely drained me. In order to determine that their planet wasn’t about to go spinning into a sun, the Vash’tu asked me to stay for an entire week while they ran tests. Once they were satisfied with my work, I was allowed to leave.

I decided to visit Twilight, so I popped into her castle, happy to be back to my noodly self, instead of a large dinosaur. “Hey, Twilight, you’ll never believe what I’m going to tell – Twilight?!” My voices echoed in the ominously quiet halls.

I checked over the entire Castle, nopony was in sight. I ran outside, and nearly fainted dead away. Ponyville looked like a ghost town that had been set for a siege. Dark thunderclouds rumbled overhead, and my mane stood on end, there was some seriously dark magic going on.

On a whim, I teleported to Canterlot Castle. The Princesses were nowhere to be found. I stuck my head through a wall, and saw the guards, most were trying to look stoic, but a few were huddled together sobbing. Remind me why they keep these guys around? I thought bitterly.

Stepping outside, I saw that Canterlot was also a siege town, albeit with better-decorated defenses. A horrible thought struck me. Thorax…

When I teleported to the Hive, instead of winding up inside, I was somehow thrown back, and wound up outside the Hive by a few feet. The same dark clouds were overhead, and I noticed something in the garden that did not belong there. It looked like a spire of polished black rock. I walked over, and flicked a claw against it. “Crystal?” I asked in confusion. Something in my memory was trying to get my attention, but was cut short when three Changelings pounced on me, pinning me to the ground, snarling all the while.

“Guys! It’s me!” I shouted.

“Prove it!” shouted the lead Changeling. “Say something only Secundus would say!”

I rolled my eyes. “Moosey is adorkable to the point it makes my teeth hurt, everybody’s crazy in some way, it’s called suffering from humanity, and green mouse and telephone ice cream tastes horrible.” I peered at the Changeling. “Your name is Mandible, when Thorax threw me a gourd fest your gourd turned into a stuffed Vampire Jackalope, and you like slow jazz.” I then snapped my fingers, turning the Badlands from color to black and white and back. “Satisfied?!”

He nodded, and they quickly pulled me into the much darker than normal interior of the Hive. “What is going on?!! I leave for one week, and Equestria looks like the set of The Trotting Dead!

“It’s Sombra! He’s back, no-one knows how! He took Twilight and her friends, the Princesses, everypony who could stand up to him!”

“So you’re telling me that the Princesses, Twilight and her friends, the royal guards, and the entire Changeling Swarm couldn’t stop him?!” I was snarling, and seeing red mist at the edges of my vision.

“There’s more,” muttered Mandible.

What?” I asked in a dangerous tone.

“Thorax. He has Thorax too.” Mandible blinked. “Er, Secundus?” but I was already gone.