• Published 4th Sep 2017
  • 299 Views, 14 Comments

Finding Destiny - grendal



A young Colt's life will never be the same when fate decides he needs a little help finding what a pony is really worth.

  • ...
 14
 299

Given the Choice

Stewtary was wrong, he was not ready for what waited in the interview room. Or more accurately, he was not ready for who waited in the interview room. Princess Celestia sat behind a large desk, her rainbow mane constantly flowing as if blown by a non-existent wind. The princess was larger than life in almost every way. She stood more than twice as tall as Stewtary, and when she stood her outstretched wings brushed against the walls on either side of the room. “Come in and have a seat, my little pony.” Her words warm and soft, like the sunlight she was responsible for bringing into Equestria.

When the urge to bow met Stewtary’s haste to enter the room as bidden it turned into a rather massive tumble. Stewtary’s face hit the cool stone floor of Celestia’s office hard as he tripped on his own hooves. He attempted to recover by acting as if he was simply bowing deeply while walking, but all it ended up looking like was a pony falling on his face, then dragging his head along the ground. Stewtary could have sworn he heard the princess giggle when he fell, but when he looked up she was all regal calm. It must have been his imagination.

“Are you alright my little pony?” Celestia asked. Her voice was sweet and concerned, but still seemed to carry an edge of mirth.

“Y-yes. Th-thank y-you P-P-P-Princess.” Stewtary managed to reply, fully aware his little act hadn't fooled anypony.

Celestia took a seat, and indicated for Stewtary to do the same. “I’m glad you’re alright. Your name is Stewtary Mess correct? That is a rather, unique, name. Did your parents call you that?”

“N-no.” Stewtary said. “Th-that is, I-I d-d-don’t think th-they d-did. I-it was a c-c-cruel n-name given t-to me b-b-by the o-other f-foals a-a-at th-the o-orphanage. B-b-but i-it’s the only n-n-name a-anypony has ever c-called me P-Princess. S-s-so i-it i-is my n-name.”

A sympathetic look crossed over Celestia’s face. “That’s an awful way to get named. I will not call you by a name meant to mock and revile you. So, I would like to simply call you Stew. Is that alright with you?”

“Y-yes!” Stewtary, Stew, beamed with excitement. He had never been fond of the name, obviously, but it did suit him and he had never known different so that’s how he introduced himself. Ponies rarely called each other by shortened names beyond simply dropping their second name, so Stew had never thought to do so. The respect and kindness shown by Princess Celestia in giving him this new name was something Stew felt he could never repay.

“Good. Now Stew, why is it you think you’re qualified to be Equestria’s new liaison and diplomat in Yakyakistan?”

“W-well Princess I-I… w-w-wait,” Stew was confused. “lia-l-lia-, d-diplomat? I-I’m h-h-here f-for th-the v-valet position…”

Celestia nodded “I see. That does make a lot more sense. But, don’t you think you may have over dressed just a little for an interview as a valet?”

Stew looked down at his clothes. He hadn’t really thought about it, but perhaps the whole thing was a bit excessive. He had no idea what was palace appropriate, so he just left all of that to Rarity. It had never come up what job he was applying for. Maybe Rarity would have gone a different direction had she known. Somehow Stew doubted that, Rarity didn't seem the type to tone anything down. Stew was once again feeling quite foolish. His breathing began to speed up, and beads of sweat formed across his brow. Sensing his friends panic Mr. Cheesers popped out from his mane to place a reassuring paw on Stew’s ear. “Th-thank y-y-you M-Mr. Ch-Cheesers.” Stewtary whispered.

Princess Celestia took in the scene before her. A nervous pony likely living off a custodial salary wearing a far too fancy suit studded with beautiful gems and wearing a lace frilled shirt had a mouse named Mr. Cheesers in his mane. A knowing smile spread across her face. “I take it you’ve met Rarity,” Celestia turned her smile towards Mr. Cheesers, “and Fluttershy.”

“Y-y-yes. H-h-how did y-you know y-y-your H-Highness?” Stew asked.

Celestia chuckled to herself, "When you get to know Rarity and Fluttershy you will begin to see their very unique mark wherever they may leave it." A yellow glow enveloped the blue bound book on Celestia’s desk as she picked it up and replaced it with a different one with her magic. “Well, then I guess we should be having a very different kind of interview. What is your special talent Stew?”

Stew looked down at his hooves. He knew this question would come, but he didn’t really think he would be having this interview with Celestia. It was hard to see the looks of pity and disgust on ponies faces when they saw his blank flank, Stew didn’t think he could handle it from Celestia. After taking a deep breath, Stew stood to give a better view of his flank to Celestia. “I-I-I-I d-d-don’t h-have o-one.” He stammered shutting his eyes tight as he spoke.

When he opened his eyes again Stew was surprised to see no disgust or pity on Celestia’s face. In fact, she didn’t even appear sympathetic. Instead she just looked, thoughtful. “So, you’re the one. My sister has spoken to me of you on a few occasions.” Celestia said.

“P-Princess L-Luna?” Stew was surprised. Princess Luna had appeared in his dreams more than once, but that was part of being the princess of the night. He was very fond of Luna, she had always been kind and often helped him sort through his hard times. But that was once again, pert of her responsibilities. It had never occurred to Stew that Luna might talk about him with Celestia. A bout of nervousness struck Stew as he thought about what Luna might share. Dreams can be a very private and personal thing, Stew had gotten used to Luna knowing what his dreams were like, but he didn’t want anypony else to know. “W-w-what d-does sh-she s-s-s-say?”

Celestia waved a hoof distractedly, then as if reading Stew’s mind said “Luna has only ever talked to me about what we might do to help you, and anypony that needs it. She is aware that dreams can be very personal to ponies, so she doesn’t talk about anything that would compromise that.” Stew Breathed a heavy sigh of relief as Celestia continued. “We can talk about this more later. For now, I would like to get back to the interview.”

The interview went surprisingly well. Something about Celestia just radiated calm. Stew had never felt so loved as he did in the presence of Celestia. Her patience with him, her gentle aura, her infinite capacity for love and compassion. Celestia was everything ponies had said she was and more. It was easy to forget his nerves when Stew was in the presence of such peace and wisdom. Part of him never wanted the interview to end, just so he could talk with the princess for longer. But alas that could not be, and after what seemed not nearly long enough, Celestia was finished with her questions. “Thank you Stew for coming to this interview.” She said. “After speaking with you, I have no doubts that you would be a good valet here in the palace. You may not have the special talent of the other ponies, but you have a kind heart, and a strong work ethic. And after your bow when you first came in I’m sure having you around would make things in the palace a whole lot more fun.” A mischievous glint appeared in Celestia’s eye. Stew’s mouth fell open; She did giggle at me!

“But, there is something else I want to talk to you about.” Celestia continued “You said that you do not have a special talent or destiny, but I don’t believe that’s true. Everypony has one, even you. I know three fillies in Ponyville that I think can help you find yours.” Stew was taken aback. It had been a long time since he had thought about earning a cutie mark. After a certain age, he had just accepted that he wasn’t going to get one. That hope had left Stew’s life for what he thought was forever, but with a few simple words, Princess Celestia had rekindled it. He wasn't sure whether to thank or curse her for that.

“Now you have a choice to make, Stew. You can take a job here at the palace, it will pay well and you can interact with the other ponies as much or as little as you want. I would be happy to have you, but this is not where your destiny lies. Or, I could send you to Ponyville to work as a valet for Princess Twilight. It won’t be easy, and I don’t think you will be payed much beyond what you’ll need to live. You will have to work hard to build friendships, but I believe you will finally be able to discover who you are, and what you are meant to do through those friendships.” Celestia looked very serious now. "It's a big decision, and one you must make for yourself. Either path is open to you."

“C-could I h-have s-s-some time t-t-to th-think ab-b-bout it?” Stew asked.

“Of course you can. I’ll make sure you are scheduled for an appointment tomorrow morning. I look forward to hearing your answer then, Stew.”

Once Stew had exited the palace he noticed the sun begin to fall in the sky. One night didn’t seem like a lot of time to decide what he would do for the rest of his life. But, with the approaching gala and the many other duties Celestia had, Stew supposed giving him any time at all was pretty generous. Mr. Cheesers crawled down from Stew’s head and into the breast pocket of Stew’s jacket, poking his head out over the top. Stew smiled and his friend, “Wh-what should I-I d-d-do M-Mr. Cheesers?” The mouse pointed towards the setting sun. “Y-yes, I th-think you’re r-r-r-right. I w-will watch th-th-the s-s-s-suns-set.” Stew sat down on a rock, letting his worries slip away so he could watch the sunset with a friend, if only for a moment.

Very few ponies stayed out after dark, even here in Canterlot. It was part of the reason Stew preferred the night. The once noisy streets were now oppressively silent, which allowed Stew a chance to be alone with his thoughts. Even Mr. Cheesers lay nestled in Stew’s suit pocket, gently snoring. Stew took a deep breath, letting the crisp night air fill his lungs and clear his head. The walk back to his apartment was long, he lived about as far from the palace as a pony could get while still living in Canterlot. It was well into the night when Stew finally arrived at his front door, and yet he was no closer to knowing which choice he should make. The pull of destiny is strong, and Stew felt a stirring in him that he hadn’t felt since his early colt years. Him, with a destiny, a cutie mark. Stew only ever dreamed of such things now. And yet, it was only a chance that he would find it in Ponyville. Plus, working for Princess Twilight would mean having to make new friends and meet new ponies often. Stew did so hate meeting new ponies. But working in the palace of Canterlot would be safe, familiar, and better than anything Stew had ever hoped for. Celestia had even implied his clumsiness would be tolerated, if not celebrated. But then Ponyville had Fluttershy and Rarity, the two nicest ponies Stew had ever met, and the only two ponies that claimed to be his friends. Stew shook his head wearily; it was no use trying to figure it out now.

Stew plodded into his run-down apartment. After the grandeur of the castle, Stew felt a little underwhelmed by his own living situation. The cracking plaster walls, the ugly dresser with the dumb mirror, the tiny bed covered in a scratchy old quilt. This was the home of a nopony. If nothing else Stew took comfort from the thought that no matter which path he chose, it would lead him away from where he was now.

Stew wrapped Mr. Cheesers in one of his old shirts and gently placed the mouse on the floor next to the bed. He hoped Fluttershy wasn’t too worried about her mouse friend, but part of Stew suspected Fluttershy had arranged the whole thing. She was sweet like that. It wasn’t easy to get out of his fancy clothes. Besides the fact that Rarity had all but sewed him into it, it was sad to take off such a beautiful gift from such a lovely pony. Stew yawned heavily. It was late, and Princess Celestia was expecting an answer early in the morning. Stew wrapped himself in his quilt and soon sleep over took him and sent the young stallion off to the realm of dreams.

Author's Note:

Hi again! I hope you're having a god day, or night, or whatever it is when you read this.
If you've made it here to chapter three, I have a little secret for you. You're the best. I mean it. The best. All those people that quit after chapter two, they are not as best as you are. You are, the best.:derpytongue2:
As always, thanks for reading. You should know by now that I REALLY love comments. Likes and follows are nice too, but comments help me to get to know you better, and maybe answer any questions you have. If public posting isn't your thing, feel free to send me a private message. I love getting feed back, or just talking about things. Have I mentioned you're the best?
Bye!:heart: