• Published 29th Aug 2017
  • 13,955 Views, 139 Comments

Love of the librarian - Sarcastic Brony



Equestria is filled with many things George doesn't understand and one princess of magic will show him what he's been missing out on.

  • ...
38
 139
 13,955

Chapter 1

George looks off towards the horizon as the sun slowly rises, pushing back the night Luna brought forth and warming the land to set the tone for the rest of the day. Another day in Equestria for him, another day learning the ins and outs of their society. George lets out a sigh as he thinks over everything that’s happened. It’s crazy to think that his once normal life back on earth could change so drastically. One moment he’s taking in the local scenery at the park and then he’s suddenly in another world. Jarring as that was, he managed to keep his cool throughout it all.

He’d be lying if he didn’t admit to missing more than a few things from his old life. His family, friends and even job. Sure he had the thought once in awhile on what it would be like to start over, to see another world, yet he never thought it would actually happen. Things haven’t been handed to him either. From day one he’s worked his ass off to get to where he is now. Perhaps not the life of luxury but he’s content with how things are. Still... He looks down to his feet for a moment. It would be nice to go home, back to earth. A place where he belongs. Where he isn’t looked down upon, despite being a giant here.

There’s no time for him to waste thought. He needs to head on over to the Canterlot library or else he’ll be late.


George enters the library without any problems. A mare is sitting there in wait for him. Strict Rule is her name and she takes her job seriously. Since he got his job here she’s always made sure to guide him, even teaching him the things he did not know. As strict as she is, she’s a good pony at heart. When she spots George a small frown starts to cross her face.

“You were almost late.”

George nods. “Sorry. I just got caught up in thought.”

“You seem to be coming in early less and less these days. What happened to that can do attitude you had before?” She scolds lightly.

“I still got it, Mrs. Rule.” George say trying to convince her.

She studies him for a few seconds before looking away.

“We have a lot to do and sitting here talking is wasting time. You know your station?”

George nods. “Yes. Section 5a, magic fusion and theory crafting.”

That puts a small smile on Strict Rule’s muzzle, if only for a moment.

“I expect those books to be as pristine as the day they were made. Then move onto the new catalog system.”

“Can do, Mrs. Rule.”

Nothing else is needed to be said between the two as they quickly head off to their sections. The entire library has been going through a renovation of sorts. For the past few months they’ve not only been getting new books but also cleaning the olds ones. The next major thing is that Celestia took great interest in the dewey decimal system George told her about. It’s what landed him this job to begin with. So the work is plentiful and considering how large this collection is, it may take ten or even twenty years to complete. George does feel a sense of pride knowing that a piece of his world will soon become the standard for all libraries. The system before was odd and almost random at times. So it’s a change that benefits everyone.

George is working hard as he cleans the relics of the past. Not only that but he’s making sure they are still high quality. If not, then he’ll need to put them aside to be restored by a mage later. Magic is a weird thing that he barely understands. It can do so many great things and yet it can’t solve the simplest of problems ponies have. George constantly thinks about bringing other items from his world here to Equestria to improve it a bit. Like replacing inkwells and quills with a pen. He’s sure that would become a huge hit.

George notices a small tear in the book he’s looking over and sets it aside. Well, enough pondering on how he can improve the world. If he picks up the pace he can probably get an early lunch. As George works he notices the sound of somepony walking behind him.

“Not quite done yet, Mrs. Rule.”

The response he gets isn’t one he expected. He hears a small gasp of sorts, not something he would hear come from Strict Rule. George sets the book he’s holding down and turns around. His eyes widen as he gazes upon a pony the likes he’s never seen before. A purple alicorn stands there. She’s not tall like Celestia, she’s not even as tall as Luna. If anything she’s about the same size as a regular pony. George doesn’t recognize her. Is she another princess?

“Oh... I wasn’t aware we’d get a customer today.” George quickly regains his professional attitude. He gets up from the floor to properly address the pony. “Are you interested in checking out a book from the magic fusion section?”

The pony looks at him in awe. George isn’t surprised by her reaction. He’s still an oddity in this world, not to mention most pony’s heads only go up to his waist. The pony notices her staring and quickly turns away in embarrassment.

“I’m sorry for staring. Yes, I’m looking for Magehoof the Magnificents bo-”

“Book of magenificent spells? Volume one or two?”

The pony looks surprised that George knew the book she spoke of. He’s spent a lot of time learning this library. Sure he doesn’t know it all but this section in particular is his to work on, so he knows it like the back of his hand.

“There’s a volume two?”

“Yeah, we just got it in.” George walks over to a box full of books and digs through it. “It was found at the border of Equestria, right before entering death valley. Weird story that one is.” George catches himself before he starts to ramble. This pony doesn’t want to hear about a story on how they found a book. “Sorry... ummm.” He finds the book and pulls it out. “Here it is.” George hands the book over to the pony and walks over to get his clipboard. “Mind if I get your name? The usual checkout system is out of order until Mrs. Rule and I get this library in order.”

The pony seems lost in thought but shakes her head clear to regain focus.

“Oh? My name’s Twilight Sparkle.”

George writes down her name. It sounds familiar for some reason. He could’ve swore he’s heard that name before.

“Alright, Twilight Sparkle, checking out magenificent spells volume two.” He sets his clipboard down and returns his attention to Twilight. “Do you need anything else?” She looks hesitant to say something. It’s probably about him. It wouldn’t be the first or last time a pony wanted to ask something about him. “I’m a human, by the way.”

That seems to calm her but a spark of curiosity within her eye starts to shine.

“Human? I’ve never heard of your kind before.”

“Yeah. I come from another planet, actually. It’s a long story.”

That curious look in her eye seems to grow more.

“I have the free time!” She shouts in excitement.

It’s startling to both George and Twilight. He wasn’t expecting her to be so enthusiastic.

“What’s going on over there!” A voice shouts from within the library.

“Nothing, Mrs. Rule!” George replies.

“Don’t go slacking off! We still have a lot of work to do!”

“I’m on it!” George looks back at Twilight. Her face now completely red. “I’ve got work right now but if you really want to know, I should be getting a lunch break in a few hours.”

Twilight nods her head as she puts the book away in a saddle bag that matches her fur color.

“I’ll meet you here?”

George nods. “Yup. See you then.”

Twilight gives one last nod as she trots towards the front of the library. For the time being, George tries to ignore that he’s seen that pony’s name somewhere before. Man! This is going to bug him for awhile.


He gets it now. Lunch time is here and George finally remembers why he knew that pony’s name. It’s Twilight Sparkle! The strongest known mage on this planet. He’s read stories about her and her friends. You know, seeing as that’s his job for the most part. She’s really important to this world. She’s saved Equestria dozens of times. This is the first time he’s met her in person. George vaguely remembers Celestia wanting to schedule a meeting between him and her, so that Twilight could be in the loop about his arrival but decided against it as George had a lot of work to do since bringing the decimal system to Equestria.

He’s really nervous. She’s practically a celebrity. While Celestia seems rather normal, considering her royal status, George knows next to nothing about Twilight, other than she’s a pretty big deal.

“What’s got you all in a tizzy?”

George looks behind him and finds Mrs. Rule standing there with a raised brow.

“I just agreed to have lunch with one of the most important ponies on this planet.”

She looks at him with a raised brow. “Really? Who would that be?”

“Twilight Sparkle.”

Mrs. Rule rolls her eyes. “Really? You’re all worked up over having lunch with Twilight?”

“Who wouldn’t?! She’s only the single most important pony on the planet!”

Mrs. Rule gives George a deadpanned expression. “I’ve known Twilight since she was a filly. She’s just like everypony else. No need to blow everything out of proportion.”

“You’ve known Twilight for that long?”

She nods. “Yup. When she became a student directly under Princess Celestia, this library was her home for awhile. She practically lived on one of the shelves. Reading every moment she was given. I doubt the filly that used to come here would change into a ego filled pony.”

George lets out a sigh. “I just can’t help it, Mrs. Rule. There’s just so much I don’t understand in this world. All I know is what I’ve read.”

That gets a chuckle out of Strict Rule. “Sounds like you two have a lot in common.”

Before George can question that the door to the library opens and Twilight comes trotting in with a large smile on her face. She instantly spots George and walks up to him. The first thing that George notices is that Twilight’s bag is filled with what looks like quills, ink wells and parchment. George has a bad feeling about this. Twilight’s about to speak but turns to face Strict Rule.

“Oh! Hello, Rule. It’s been awhile.”

“It has. How have things been with you?”

“Great! A few things happened in the empire but it’s all worked out.”

“It’s always nice to hear that Equestria is safe with you around.”

Twilight blushed deeply at that. “You know I don’t do it for the recognition.”

“Of course.” Strict Rule looks over at George. “You’re free to have lunch but remember we still have a job to do.”

“I understand, Mrs. Rule.” George looks over at Twilight. “Are you ready?”

She nods with enthusiasm. “Definitely!”

George gets up from his seat and motions for Twilight to lead. The two of them exit the library and all George can do is follow Twilight. Usually he has his meals here at the castle but based on the direction Twilight is taking, they aren’t going to the dining hall.

“It sure looks like you’re busy in the library. Is it because of this new Dooby decim system?” Twilight asks.

“Dewey decimal and yes.”

“Such an odd and yet efficient system. It makes me wonder why I haven't thought of it before!”

“Well, it took us humans a long time to figure it out too.”

Twilight stops in her tracks and slowly turns to face George, a certain twinkle in her eye.

“Y-You’re the one that created the system?” She asks.

“Well, no. My people did. I just talked to Celestia about it and she liked the idea.”

Twilight instantly closes the gap between them, their faces only inches away from one another. She’s staring deeply into his eyes and George is starting to feel uncomfortable.

“This is amazing!” Twilight shouts with Glee. “This system is reshaping how libraries are run all over Equestria! Do you understand how much impact this system has on Eques- no, the world!”

“Well, I mean... It probably doesn’t impact the world as much as you.” George says honestly.

He notices a large blush cross Twilight's cheeks as she drops onto all fours and faces away from him.

“I’m not really that important. Your system will last far longer than I ever will.”

“But the stories about you will last just as long.” George chuckles. “If someone writes a book, they’ll use the system to store all of the great things you’ve done for Equestria.” George looks down to his feet a sobering thought comes to mind. “Me though, I’m a nobody. Just the guy that brought the system to your world. I didn’t create it. I’m just George the human.”

George has accepted this fact. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. In a world like this, where magic is real and battles are had. What can one human do to make a name for himself? Then again, George was never one to seek glory. He’s perfectly content with being in the library. Doing small things that don’t have much impact.

“But if you weren’t here, then the system never would’ve been known.” That makes George’s heart stop. “I used the Elements of Harmony to win most of my battles but never once did I feel as if I gave any less than my all. Just by being here you’ve already changed our world for the better. Regardless of the fact that you may be using the knowledge of your people to make a change in our world.”

Wow... That was deep. George wasn’t expecting to hear something like that.

“Thank you, Twilight. I guess I never thought of it in that way.”

“No problem!” Twilight continues walking as George follows.

“So where are we going? I usually eat in the dining hall.”

“I hope you don’t mind but one of my friends told me about a small restaurant she’s been going to and it has a two pony minimum.”

“I don’t mind. I just haven’t gotten my pay for this week. Just a few bits in my pocket.”

“No worries! I invited you to talk so it’s my treat.”

“Um, thank you.”

George and Twilight continue to walk through the castle on their way to the streets of Canterlot. George will admit it’s been awhile since he’s been out and about but having Twilight with him makes him feel at ease. In fact, he thinks this’ll be a great day.


They finally make it to the restaurant that Twilight’s friend talked about. As Twilight and George walk in the first thing they both notice is how intimate the establishment looks. It’s covered in deep reds and pink colors. Hearts adorn the walls. The entire place looks fit for a first date.

“Ummm.” George looks around unsure what to say.

“I-I... Maybe I got the address wrong?” Twilight asks just as confused by what she sees.

“Should we leave?”

“Y-yeah. I know of another pla-”

“Twilight!”

Twilight and George look over to the source of the noise and find a white mare with a purple mane waving at them from her seat.

“Do you know her?” George asks.

Twilight puts a hoof to her face trying to hide her blush.

“Yes, that’s Rarity.”

“R-Rarity? The element of Generosity? That Rarity?”

“Yup.”

More important ponies. George has to keep his cool. He looks over and can see Rarity waving for them to come over. Twilight just lets out a small sigh as she walks further into the restaurant, George following behind her. They make it over to Rarity and George can easily tell that her sights are on him.

“My, my and whom is this strong and tall looking creature that’s with you, Twilight?”

“This is George. He works at Canterlot library.”

“Well, I must say that I’m surprised you’ve found a stallion of your own. Worst thing is you haven’t even told me!”

Both Twilight and George can’t stop the heat from filling their cheeks.

“W-We just met!” Twilight sputters out.

“Just met!? I never knew you were so bold, Twilight!”

Twilight’s jaw is on the floor now as she tries her best to make words but nothing intelligible comes out. George needs to take control here.

“It’s kind of a funny story. Twilight wanted to talk to me at lunch about my world and I guess you recommended this place. We honestly didn’t know it was of a romantic setting and were just about to leave until you called us over.”

Rarity gives a titter. “I know, Darling. I was just messing with Twilight. I must say I appreciate you coming to her rescue like a true stallion should.”

“I just thought we should be clear. Still.” George looks around the room. “We probably shouldn’t be here.”

“Nonsense! I wasn’t lying when I said this place was good. Please, have a seat you two.”

Twilight calms down and takes a seat. George does the same and soon a waiter comes to take their orders. George manages to find something that doesn’t have hay and orders that while the other girls order various pony things that George could never hope to digest. Once the waiter is gone the three of them are left alone.

“I must say that you’re a unique creature, George. Where do you come from?” Rarity asks.

George can see Twilight use her magic to pull out a quill, some ink and a large piece of parchment paper from her saddle bag. George returns his attention to Rarity.

“Another planet. I appeared in Equestria about five months ago and since then have been working in the library.”

“Oh my and there’s no way for you to return home?”

He shakes his head. “No. Celestia tried her best but wasn’t able to create a connection to my planet. She said something about time deteriorating the magic something.”

“The magic tremera?” Twilight comes in.

“Yeah, whatever that is. We don’t have that word on our world so I don’t know what it means.”

“It’s the connection between two things. To make it simple. If a pony teleports, they create a connection from one point to the other, for a limited time that connection could be reopened to return them where they came from, it’s often used to save energy as reopening an already made hole is easier than making a new one.”

That makes sense, kinda.

“Anyways. Celestia couldn’t help me. So I’ve been living my life here ever since. ”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” Rarity comes in.

“It’s not all bad. All the ponies at the castle are nice to me. Canterlot, not so much but at least they don’t run away in fear, anymore.”

“Well, I must say that you’ve been nothing but a gentlestallion since we’ve met. I dare say that I would call you a friend with how nice you are.”

Woah... George was not expecting her to say that.

“Um, well, thank you, Rarity.”

“There’s no reason to thank somepony for being your friend, Darling.”

“I guess you’re right.” George looks over at Twilight as she furiously writes something. “Um, are you alright, Twilight?”

“Perfectly fine.” She states as she writes more.

Rarity rolls her eyes. “Alright, Twilight. You can talk to him now.”

“Finally!” She quickly covers her muzzle with a blush. “S-Sorry.”

“No need to be sorry. I was the one that invited you two over when you’ve already made plans. Please, continue as if I’m not even here.”

“Alright.” Twilight looks over at George. “So, what kind of magic do you use?”

“I actually don’t use magic. There’s no such thing as magic on my world.”

Twilight’s eyes widen. “No magic?” George shakes his head. “None at all?”

“Not a single bit.”

“How does your planet even work? How does the sun and moon move? How can you survive on a world without magic?”

“Well, I know for a fact our race is highly advance when it comes to technology. No offense but if you compared our technology to yours, you’d be in the dark ages.”

“What’s a dark age? Do you have a Nightmare Moon where you’re from?”

“What?” It takes a moment for George to understand where he messed up. Of course they didn’t have a dark age, at least not one like humanity. “Um, you know how Starswirl pretty much revolutionised magic for all ponies?” Twilight nods. “Your technology compared to ours is like magic before Starswirl came around.”

Twilight gets it now. She honestly can’t even fathom what he could mean by that. How far can technology go? At one point ponies thought the same thing about magic and then Starswirl came around to show them it was far more complex and expansive than they knew. So what George is talking about could be something that no pony could ever hope to understand.

“Oh... C-Can you explain a piece of technology to me?”

George thinks that over. There’s just so many things he could talk about. Computers, phones, game consoles, cameras... Yet he thinks those are things he can save for later. So he’ll talk about something Twilight would enjoy.

“Alright, Twilight. Here’s something I know you ponies don’t have. Imagine having a piece of glass the size of a book.”

Twilight cocks her head slightly. “Glass?”

“Mmhmm. Now, imagine that within that piece of glass there are thousands of books.”

Her eyes are sparkling again. “Thousands of books?”

“Yup and all you have to do is tell the glass what book you want, touch the glass and it’ll open that book up. Swipe your hoof from right to left and it’ll flip the page.”

Twilight looks down to her parchment for a moment in confusion. She then looks back up to George.

“How can that even work?”

“That’s sadly one thing I can’t answer. It’s so complex that most people don’t know how their technology works, it just does but that’s only one of many things we had.”

“Wow.” Twilight returns to scribbling notes. “So wha-”

“You’re meals are ready.” A waiter pony speaks up with a tray held in his magic.

“Perfect timing!” Rarity speaks up, using her own magic to give everyone their plates. “I’m absolutely starving!”

George is about to agree with Rarity but finds that his stomach has done that for him, a large growl filling the silence. He quickly covers his stomach in embarrassment, yet as he looks up he notices that Twilight is also holding her stomach with a red face. Rarity can only sit there and cover her muzzle as she tries to hold back her laughter.

“I haven’t ate breakfast.” George puts out there.

“Same.” Twilight comes in.

“Well, let’s not wait and enjoy our meals.” Rarity says.

They can agree to that as they look over their meals. It looks nice as far as George can tell. Then again most things in Equestria look nice. Doesn’t really mean it’s better than anything else but everything tends to have a nice shine to it. He picks up his veggie sandwich and takes a large bite. It tastes alright. He’s probably used to the chefs that make his meal at the castle. Not only that but they have meat there too. It’s one of the perks of needing to host various creatures with different tastes every so often, the kitchens are stocked up on all types of foods.

Doesn’t mean George isn’t enjoying himself. It’s nice to have company. Most of the time he eats alone. He looks over at Rarity as she eats very daintily. Taking small piece from her plate with a fork and using magic to place it into her mouth. A very elegant way of eating, befitting of the Canterlot lifestyle. However, when George looks over at Twilight, he’s surprised by what he sees. She’s just shoving food indiscriminately into her mouth. Bits and pieces of lettuce from her salad flying all over the place.

He was expecting her to eat along the same line as Rarity, seeing as she was a pupil of the princess, he thought she would have some manners. Yet George can only sit there and watch with wide eyes as she wolfs away her food. Twilight seems to notice George’s gaze and stops mid-shovel. She smiles awkwardly, her cheeks full of food, face covered in a blush while she slowly swallows all of her food.

“Um, is there something wrong?” She asks.

George snaps out of his gaze.

“No, I’m just surprised is all.”

“Well, it’s just that I’m hungry and,”

“No, I understand. I just, I don’t know, found it cute is all.”

“C-cute?”

“Yeah... There are so many ponies here in Canterlot that are too afraid to be themselves. It’s kinda nice to see a pony that’s willing to be themselves.”

“Oh... Well, thank you.”

Rarity is starting to crack at the seams as she starts chuckling.

“My you two are simply precious!” Rarity turns her attention to George. “You simply must come to visit in Ponyville sometime.”

George rubs the back of his neck nervously.

“I don’t know, Rarity. I’m really busy with the library.”

“No, I will hear none of that! Come, this friday. I simply must show you off to the girls.”

This is all weird and sudden. Still, Rarity seems like a nice enough pony. Besides that, he kinda wants to know if Twilight is going to be there.

“Are you going to be there, Twilight?”

She nods her head. “Yes, I live in Ponyville.”

“Oh?” George doesn’t remember reading where the elements live, then again maybe that’s for a good reason. “I’ll have to talk to Celestia and Strict Rule first.”

“You leave Celestia to me.” Rarity comes in. “I’m sure she’ll be more than happy to know that Twilight will be showing her new friend off to everypony in Ponyville.”

Twilight snaps her head towards Rarity. “What?!”

Rarity quickly covers Twilight’s muzzle.

“Now I just remembered that Twilight and I had something very important we needed to do. Sorry to be leaving so abruptly.”

George looks between the two confused but decides to let it go.

“No worries. It was nice meeting you, Rarity.” He then looks over at Twilight. “I hope we can speak some more when I head on over to Ponyville.”

Rarity is still covering Twilight mouth as she answers for her.

“Of course you two will! Tata!”

In a puff of smoke the two are gone, only leaving behind enough bits to pay for the meal.

“I guess I got the tip.” George states as he fishes out a nice tip for the waiter.


Once Twilight and Rarity are far from the restaurant, Rarity lets go of Twilight.

“What the hay, Rarity! Why did you say all that stuff back there?”

“Don’t you want him to come visit Ponyville?”

“W-Well...” Twilight looks at her hooves. “It would be nice.”

“Then what’s the problem?”

“You invited him!” Twilight looks back up at Rarity.

“Because you were too nervous to do it on your own.”

Twilight rubs a hoof over her foreleg.

“I was going to do it.”

“Twilight, I really am proud that you’ve found a stallion you like.”

“Rarity, I don’t like him... He’s nice but we’ve just met.” Twilight sits on her rump and twiddles her hooves a bit. “Don’t you think this is too fast to know if you like somepony or not?”

Rarity can only smirk as she shakes her head.

“Twilight, you’ve never had a date in your entire life.” Twilight’s face covers in a large blush but she can’t say anything to deny it. “It’s perfectly fine to get a crush on somepony quickly. However, you just need to act normal and see how things go. If you think you really like them, then don’t be afraid to be assertive, stallions like that.”

“Rarity you’re embarrassing me.” Twilight covers her face.

“Come now, Twi. We’re both grown mares. You don’t need to hide your feelings from me. I’ll always be there to listen to whatever troubles you have.”

Twilight removes her hooves from her face.

“Thanks, Rarity.”

“Anytime, Twi. Now, let’s go talk to the princess about George. I’m sure there’s lots of things you two can do in Ponyville.”

Twilight can only nod as Rarity and her walk back to the castle. Twilight would like to show him how the system from his world has shaped her own library and made things better. She also really likes the idea of him meeting her friends. She didn’t want to say it but when she looks at George she almost sees a younger version of herself. How she used to lock herself away in the library and only had meals in the castle. Maybe Rarity is right that she has a bit of a crush on him but she also wants to help him from becoming what she once was all those years ago.