• Published 27th Aug 2017
  • 2,279 Views, 105 Comments

The Blue Mage - Nebula Star



Gifted with extraordinary power, Apple Bloom must learn to control it and try not to lose herself in the process.

  • ...
1
 105
 2,279

Chapter 6: A Day to Remember

The Blue Mage
By Nebula Star

Chapter 6: A Day to Remember
***

"So... what have you got planned first?" Twilight asked, curiously as she and Rainbow made their way through the castle halls back toward the entrance. In answer, Rainbow grinned and pulled a brochure out of the small bit pouch she was wearing and hoofed it over to her.

Twilight looked and was surprised to see it was for the Canterlot Museum of Equestrian History. Then she saw the exhibit being advertised on the front. "They're having a special exhibit on Starswirl the Bearded and Clover the Clever!?"

Rainbow grinned at Twilight's excitement. "Yep, it started just last week."

"Ohhh! I can't wait; I wonder if they have Clover's staff on display..." She trailed off looking over at Rainbow. "But... won't you be bored?"

She shrugged. "Maybe a little in the Starswirl exhibit, but turn the page."

Looking back at the brochure she did as suggested and understood. "Oh, and an exhibit on the history of the Wonderbolts; that should be fun."

Rainbow grinned. "You helped me learn the history, so I thought it would be fun to see it together; the Starswirl exhibit is just a bonus. But we can't spend too long there. The museum is just our mid-afternoon activity."

"Oh, and what do you have planned after that?" Twilight asked, grinning.

"You'll just have to wait and see."



They ended up spending a little more time at the museum than Rainbow had intended; but that was why she'd made sure the next part of their evening would be flexible. She knew she would have a hard time prying Twilight away from the ancient relics on display. Finally though, they were leaving the Museum.

"That was so interesting! I didn't know that Wonderbolts have always kept their team to the same number of performers ever since they were founded."

"I did; that's why they started the academy. They wanted to train replacements even when they don't have any spots open on the team. There won't be any spots available until somepony retires..."

"And then you'll be on the team!"

Rainbow laughed. "If I'm selected."

Twilight snorted. "Now you decide to be modest? Come on, Rainbow; you're the best flyer in Equestria, of course they'll select you. I've been wondering why they haven't made you a Wonderbolt already! That there just wasn't an open spot on the team makes so much sense!"

Rainbow grinned, hearing her praises from Twilight was even better than her fan club, but at the same time she actually didn't want to boast. Not in front of her...

"So, what's next on our agenda?" Twilight asked, leaning a bit against Rainbow's shoulder.

"Well," she opened her wings. "I was thinking we'd go for a flight around the city until our dinner reservations at seven. "I even got approval from the royal guard for us to fly around the castle."

Twilight looked at her surprised. "Really? I didn't think they'd do that for unofficial business..."

Rainbow smirked. "Well it helps when one of the fliers happens to be a princess."

Twilight grinned back. "Alright then, let's go."

"Try to keep up." Rainbow said with a grin, then took off into the air.

Twilight laughed and took off after her, quickly pouring on speed to catch up to her marefriend. "You'll have to do better if you want to lose me!" Twilight called out playfully. In response, Rainbow just grinned as she pulled away, and the chase was on.

Neither of them were pushing themselves to their limits, but even so, most pegasi would struggle to keep up with them for even a few turns as they wove through the city streets. Below several high society unicorn looked up in disgust, unaware that one of the pair earning their ire was a reigning princess. Fortunately for them, the couple was just as unaware of them.

Rainbow led the chase back toward the castle, weaving through the towers, until they reached the outer wall of the castle itself. The guards saw them as they passed into the castle grounds, but recognizing who they were, they simply saluted one of their princesses, though she was flying far too fast to see.

They whipped around the castle towers, passing Luna's tower at breakneck speeds, making a full circle around Celestia's tower, unaware that Celestia herself was watching them from the balcony, smiling.

Then they wove back through the castle to the mountainside, climbing up along the slopes to the very peak. There the circled, and dove back down toward the city, following closely to the terrain. Weaving through canyons and valleys, past waterfalls and through the trees.

For more than an hour they flew through and around the city without a care in the world. Neither paid much attention to the passage of time, nor did they pay much attention to the other ponies throughout the city, or even the other pegasi sharing the skies. They each were focused on the other; Rainbow leading Twilight through a sky bound dance that spanned the entire city.

Finally, Rainbow caught sight of the sun and realized it was getting close to time for their reservations. Making one more pass through the city, she spotted a clock, and sure enough, it was nearing a quarter to. She led Twilight to a park, she'd scoped out earlier and went in to land. Twilight dove as well, pulling up at the last second flapping against her direction of travel to kill her momentum before touching down lightly in the soft grass. She was breathing a little deeper than Rainbow, but neither was exhausted.

"That was wonderful, Rainbow..." Twilight said, stepping closer and nuzzling her neck. "I've never had a chance to just fly around the city for fun before."

Rainbow grinned and put her wing around her. "Yeah, that was a lot of fun," she agreed then glanced at a nearby clock tower to check how much time they still had. "Come on," she said gesturing for Twilight to follow. "I figure we'd just have a nice relaxing walk to cooldown on our way to dinner."

"That sounds good. So where are we going for dinner?"

Rainbow smiled, putting a wing around her as they started off at a slow relaxed pace, leaving the park and heading down the road toward their destination. "Oh just a little place I heard about called Woodfire's Home Kitchen."

"Woodfire's!?" Twilight exclaimed, excitedly. "That was my favorite place to go whenever my family got together for a special occasion...!" She trailed off, realization crossing her face. Woodfire's may have been her favorite restaurant in Canterlot, but she knew it wasn't really high end and while they did do reservations, getting a reservation the day of was never an issue. "You asked my parents last night, didn't you!?"

"I might have." Rainbow said with a smirk.

Twilight snorted, there was no doubt about it. "It's a great place; they have a huge variety on their menu, and their breadsticks are amazing!"

"Well let's get going. I don't know about you, but I've got quite an appetite."

Twilight's stomach chose that moment to grumble loudly, announcing her own appetite. "I guess I do too." She said, a little embarrassed. "But... we've just been out flying, we're probably a mess... aren't we."

"You always look beautiful, Twilight." Rainbow said giving her a squeeze.

Twilight blushed. "I'm serious, Rainbow."

"So am I." Rainbow said with a grin. "Your mane and tail might be a little wind-blown; but that just makes you more attractive to a pegausus."

Blush deepening, Twilight glanced at her reflection in a store window as they passed. Her mane did appear a little wind blown; but it wasn't all that bad... in fact, she could kind of see why a pegasus would find such a look attractive. After all, it was clear evidence of another flier. "Okay, I guess it's not too bad."

"It's not bad at all." Rainbow insisted, holding Twilight against her side as they walked, not caring who saw.



Woodfire's was just as good as Twilight remembered and Rainbow had to agree; the food was great. She ended up getting a tomato sauce pasta dish with a side salad - mostly because Twilight insisted she try the salad - while Twilight had a portabella melt on toasted sourdough with hay fries and a side salad as well. By the time they got to desert, neither of them had much room left, so they just got a slice of strawberry cheesecake to share.

Finally, after Rainbow paid their tab, they left the restaurant pleasantly stuffed.

"You think you're up for a short flight?" Rainbow asked, once again with her wing around Twillight.

"I don't know... I'm pretty sure I doubled my weight there..."

Rainbow laughed. "It's just a short flight, I promise."

"Alright, lead the way."

Rainbow smiled and took off, hovering just above the street waiting for Twilight to join her. Twilight opened her wings, which were feeling a little stiff from their workout earlier, and took to the air, following as Rainbow took the lead again.

Rainbow set a surprisingly slow and relaxed pace as they flew through the city to the mountainside. It became obvious what she intended as she started to climb up along the mountain towards the peak. Twilight smiled to herself; it was nearing sunset after all.

Some time later, they reached the peak and there found a picnic blanket laid out, held down by stones placed on the corners. "We going to watch the sunset?" Twilight asked with a smile as they landed.

Rainbow shrugged, and laid down on the blanket facing west. "I thought it would be a nice relaxing way to end the day..."

Twilight just continued to smile as she laid down next to her, leaning against her side. "Thanks, Dashie... I've really enjoyed myself tonight."

"So did I do good for our first date?"

"More than just good;" Twilight told her. "I'm a little worried now, how am I ever going to top this when it's my turn to plan the date?"

Rainbow smiled and gave her a quick nuzzle. "You'll think of something; you always do." She said, stretching her wing around Twilight while she did the same, holding each other as they watched the sun draw near the horizon. "You're awesome like that, Twi."

"I don't know; this is going to be pretty hard to top..."

They fell silent then, simply holding each other and enjoying one another's presence as the sun finally set and the moon began to rise into the sky to begin the night. 

Author's Note:

So this is the last chapter focused on the TwiDash part of the story, and unfortunately it's the last chapter I have fully written, so updates will likely be slowing down from her on out. But one thing about me, I never post anything unless I'm committed to finishing it. (Which is why I have the starts of about seven other stories that I haven't posted yet...)

In any case, the next chapter, Apple Bloom's story really starts going.