• Published 16th Sep 2017
  • 1,823 Views, 37 Comments

Rise of Equestria 2: Cannon Fodder - Israel Yabuki



Twilight and her new gang of friends must bring back Spike and stop their biggest threat once and for all

  • ...
3
 37
 1,823

Forbidden Secrets

Author's Note:

Many apologies for putting this on hold. Anyways, I finally finished this 3rd chapter and if there are any flaws or errors in it that I've somehow missed, go ahead and leave a comment below and once again, thank you all for your patience and support and brony on.

The minutes have turned into hours and so far, Twilight was still fast asleep, but once again she began to have one of her nightmares but this time, in her dreams, she wasn't alone. She and all of her friends, including the guys and the princesses were in it.

Inside Twilight's Dream

Twilight and her friends were surrounded at the Canterlot Castle by a Spike, who was once again a giant rampaging dragon, only he was able to fly this time. He stood at the top of the castle staring down at Twilight and her friends, who all had both the Elements of Harmony and the Elements of Freedom on them. Spike roared a vicious roar, deafening to mostly any pony who were close enough to see him.

The princesses were flying around the dragon in a circular motion, launching their magical attacks at Spike, but it only seemed to irritate the fire-breathing beast. He opened his mouth as wide as he could and shot his green flames at the princesses with every intention of burning them to a crisp.

Luckily, because of the princesses being immortal, they could never be destroyed, but that didn't stop Spike from dealing massive damage with his dragon flames. Princess Luna was struck in the back and was sent crashing down, but was saved by Shadow Force and Rainbow Dash. Princess Celesta took a blow to the wings, sending her spiraling out of control and falling rapidly towards the ground.

Eternal Flames acted quick and ran to catch her. But the moment he did, he landed hard against the ground using his back as a cushion to save his mother. She was alright, however the same couldn't be said for the young prince who was badly injured and temporarily immobilized. Sunset ran over to the fallen princess and her son and proceeded to heal them both. But it was going to take a while before they would be fully recover, so Twilight and the rest of the Mane 6 were on their own for now.

"T-Twilight!" Eternal called out with a grunt. "You have to use the... Elements of Harmony!"

"What?! No! I can't do that! Spike is our best friend, I can't turn him to stone!" Twilight calls out.

"There's... no time for arguements, Twilight! You've gotta do it now or he'll get the drop on you!"

"No, I can't!"

"Twilight, watch out!" Rainbow shouts, pointing up at Spike. Twilight looks up and sees that he's jumped off the castle and is now diving straight towards her. Rainbow Dash flew up to at least buy some time for Twilight to escape, but Spike swatted her out of the way with a swat of his mighty arm. Rainbow collided with the hard surface of one of the castle pillars and dropped to the ground, injured.

Spike's next move catches her off-guard. He opened his mouth as wide as he could and prepared to blast her at full force with his green flames. Twilight couldn't find the courage to conjure up a shield to protect herself as she was stricken with fear and sadness.

"Spike, please no! DON'T DO THIS!" she shouted.

But nothing got through to Spike in his massive, greedy form. He finally shoots his flames at Twilight and she lets out a loud and massive scream, covering herself with her hooves. She waited and waited for the attack to hit her, but to her surprise, they never did. When she looked to see where Spike was, all she saw around her was a humongous white void and nothing else in sight.

She scanned each and every part of the void, breathing heavily like she ran through a marathon. It was a hollowed victory for her, however. She failed to reach Spike with her words and had put her friends in serious danger when she couldn't make the one decision that would break her heart. She just can't even stand the thought of turning Spike into stone, even if he was a rampaging dragon.

She kneeled down and placed her hooves up to her face and surrounded the front of her body with her wings and began to sob quietly to herself. She just didn't know what else to do.

Suddenly, she felt a very familiar scaly claw make contact with one of her wings. She lifted her head up and gazed into the eyes of Spike, but not in his monstrous greedy form. He was in his original form, young and friendly as he was before he was hypnotized.

"S-Spike?" Twilight asks, not sure if it was for real or not. Spike nodded with reassurance in his eyes and his smile and started mouthing out his words, since this was still a dream. But Twilight could understand everything that was coming out of his mouth.

He mouthed out the words "Don't give up, Twilight. I know you girls are strong enough to stop her. You've done it before with other villains and you can do it again. I have faith in all of you. It doesn't matter if the odds are stacked against you, because I know you can win, don't be afraid." and then, he gave Twilight a warm hug, and it felt like he was actually there.

Twilight let loose more tears out of her eyes and hugged Spike back. "I promise, Spike. Just hang in there a little longer and I'll bring you back home to us! I'll never give up on my little dragon brother. Neither are any of our friends, and that's a promise I'm going to keep!" The words coming out of her made her feel more courageous and felt a slight weight fall off her heart afterwards. Pretty soon, Spike vanished in a ray of light, disappearing back into the white void of her dream.


For a few brief moments, Twilight began to stir and checked her clock on her nightstand. It was already 8:00 in the morning and she was well rested. She got out of her bed and walked out of her room and down to the library where Sunset was. But to Twilight's surprise, Sunset was conversing with Princess Celestia. She ran into the library, getting the mares' attention.

"Twilight, you're up! Are you feeling okay now?" Sunset asks.

"I'm fine. And I feel rested up, thanks to your advise." she replies. "So, Princess Celestia, what's going on? Did you find out anything about Starswirl or Zoor?"

"Actually, Twilight, Sunset was the one who discovered something about them. She found it in a spell book that Starswirl and Clover wrote together." Celestia replied. "And to make things more interesting, Sunset found out that there was a page torn out of the book and a message written by Starswirl himself." Celestia levitated the book and opened up the last part of the book where a page should be.

Twilight walked up and read the message Starswirl left. She became curious of what Starswirl was trying to hide and even more so the reason why he chose to hide the page. Finding the missing page was going to be an even bigger challenge for the Princess of Friendship. But then, a question struck Twilight.

"Princess Celestia! Have you and Princess Luna discovered any kind of torn pages in the archieves of the Canterlot Library or anything like that? There's a strong chance that the page might actually be lost somewhere in the archieves and we might have missed it."

"Afraid not, Twilight. Sunset already explained it in every detail and so far, Luna, Blaze Burn and I have not found anything of the sort. My hunch strongly suggests that the page might actually be in... oh no!" Celestia says in shock, finding out what she had done. "Twilight, gather your friends! I have to head back to Canterlot and alert the other Elements of Freedom!"

"What's wrong, Princess?" Sunset asks.

"All I can say is this: I know the spell and it isn't good!" Celestia replied. She lights up her horn and teleports out of the castle without another word and leaves the girls feeling more curious about all this. But with Celestia sounding seriously worried, she heeded the warning and ran out of the library, heading straight out of the castle with Sunset following her close behind.

Sunset and Twilight were uncertain of what Celestia figured out about what was written in the missing page of Starswirl's and Clover's spell book. As they finally left the castle, the two of them ran as fast as they could, going over their plan.

"Listen Sunset, If we want to hurry, we'll have to split up. I'll go and get Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Rarity while you get Pinkie Pie and Applejack! Celestia's gathering the guys back at her castle."

"Got it. Aterwards we should wait by the fountain in town square once everypony's present and accounted for, does that sound alright?" Sunset asks.

"Sure, that'll do. Now let's go."

Twilight and Sunset nod and searched all around Ponyville for their friends.


Down at Sweet Apple Acres, Applejack was out in the orchard, harvesting the apples for the farmers market with the help of her older brother, Big Mac. But of course, Applejack's heart just wasn't in it, even though she was forcing herself to work. She had told her family earlier about Spike being taken from her and her friends by this new threat who had the ability to control dragons.

Applebloom stayed in the houe with Granny Smith, helping her prepare lunch for her family. Applebloom had gained more experience in cooking thanks to the guidance of her sister and Granny Smith. Even though AJ's little sister was becoming a lot more grown up, she was still sad that Spike was dragonapped and she was afraid that Spike would come back, but as she knew him.

The only thing Applejack could do was give her sister some comfort when she done with her chores. Big Mac insisted that if Applejack was feeling down, she should take a brake and spend some time with her friends or at least some time up in her room so she could think clearly. Applejack, being the hard-working pony she is, refused to stop working even if she was still "under the weather."

Big Mac didn't approve of his little sister pushing herself like this, but her choices were her own and he had to respect her decision and went one with the chores.

Moments later, Sunset Shimmer had arrived at the farm and ran up to Applejack who was carrying her 2nd bucket into the barn and unloading it into a barrel. "Applejack! Twilight and I got orders from the princess to come and get you and the rest of the girls! She might have found a clue about Starswirl and Zoor, but it's urgent we get the other girls ready so she can explain the rest!" she said.

"So then why does she need all of us together if she won't explain it now?" Applejack asks.

"I think it's so she won't have us repeat ourselves when we tell you the whole story, otherwise if we did, the dragon invasion would probably begin and there'd be no way to stop Zoor!" Sunset explains.

"Ah see. Alright, just gimme a minute to let mah family know where Ah'll be!"

"No need." Big Mac called out. Applejack and Sunset looked and saw the reassurance in his eyes. "Ah'll tell Granny Smith an' Applebloom where you'll be so she won't feel too worried."

"Oh thank you, Big Mac." AJ replies.

"Eeyup."

Sunset and Applejack wasted no time and ran out of the barn and out into Ponyville. Applejack was unsure what it was that Princess Celestia found, but keeping her in suspense wasn't exactly helping her and it certainly did not stop her curiousity from going into overdrive. Sunset felt the same way because of how vague the princess gave her that specific info.

Once there, Applejack followed Sunset over to Sugar Cube Corner where Pinkie was sitting on one of the tables and was eating a triple deluxe ice cream sundae, but she didn't have a smile on her face, in fact, she was actually feeling rather sad. Who could blame her? Especially with what happened.

"Pinkie Pie!" AJ called out. Pinkie sat straight up and zoomed up to the two girls, nearly inches away from them with a big grin on her face.

"Did you find anything about ol' Swirly-Beardy what's-his-face?" Pinkie asked, hyped up.

"It's Starswirl the Bearded, and yes. I found out a clue in this spell book Starswirl and his apprentice wrote and I showed it to Princess Celestia as soon as I made the discovery, but she wants me and Twilight to get you and the other girls together. Afterwards, we'll meet up at the water fountain near town square and have Princess Celestia meet us there as soon as she gets the guys."

"Ooh, mysterious! Okay, so what about Twilight, where is she?" Pinkie asks.

"She's getting Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Rarity at the moment. She asked me to get you two. Now, come on, Twilight probably be waiting for us at the fountain by now." Sunset ordered.

Applejack nodded and followed Sunset out of the building. Pinkie, on the other hoof, took her ice cream sundae and gulped it down in one big bite and then followed Applejack and Sunset afterwards.


Carousel Boutique has still remained closed as usual and Rarity was locked up in her room, laying down in her bed and gazing in the fire ruby Spike had given her. The more she kept staring at it, the more her heart felt like it was breaking into tiny little pieces. She didn't even have the appetite to munch on any tubs of ice cream, nor did she have the leftover change to purchase any.

She felt like she wanted to weep in misery, but it seemed as if her tears had completely dried up. Even if they didn't dry up, Rarity wouldn't care if it messed up her mascara. She kept the blinds to her room shut so she wouldn't have anypony peek in and eavesdrop on her.

The memories of her little dragon friend had brought her so much happiness in her life and for her to not anticipate Spike being hypnotized by that creature who calls itself Zoor was enough to even make her feel angry at the creature and even more mad at Melodia for giving Zoor the abilitiy to control any and all dragons with that mysterious melody she never did hear herself.

Suddenly, there was a knock at her front door. She sighed, knowing there was nothing better for her to do, other than to answer the pony who was knocking. She got out of bed and walked out of her room, descending down the stairs and making her way to the front door.

"Forgive me, sir or madam, but the Carousel Boutique is closed at the moment." Rarity called out, nearly inches away from the door.

"Rarity, it's me, Twilight! I need you to come with me!" Twilight called out from the other side. The tone in her voice made her sound like it was urgent. Rarity was concerned and opened up the front door and faced the Princess of Friendship eye to eye.

"Twilight, darling. What seems to be the problem?"

"Princess Celestia told me to get you and the rest of the girls. She and Sunset have found something out about Starswirl and is gonna explain it to us!"

Rarity's eyes lit up, thinking they might have found a way to bring Spike back. "Oh, thank Celestia, I thought it was going to take longer than expected, but you work fast, darling!"

"Sunset was the one who found out first, but you can thank her after we've gotten Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash and then we'll meet up with the others at the fountain in town square."

"R-Right of course." Rarity said nothing else and locked up her house before head out with Twilight. Both mares trotted a bit hastily away from the boutique. Though Rarity didn't like being rushed, she wasn't given much choice and right now, she didn't really care. As of right now, she was in much of a hurry as Twilight was to find out what the princess and Sunset have both discovered.

In just a few minutes, Twilight an Rarity reached Fluttershy's cottage, but due to the recent round trip to the Freedom Village and back to Ponyville, Rarity was a bit short on breath. True, she did spend most of her time up in her room, but she hardly got any sleep. Twilight approached the front door of the cottage and knocked on Fluttershy's front door three times. She backed up and waited patiently for the shy pegasus to answer.

The sound of hoofsteps grew loud as they approached the door and then Fluttershy opens it up to see Twilight and Rarity waiting outside.

"Hello Twilight. Is there something I can do for you?" Fluttershy asks.

"Actually, Fluttershy, we need you to come along with us. Celestia and Sunset may have discovered a lead and wanted me to get you and the other girls together so she can explain it to us. I've already told Sunset to get Pinkie Pie and Applejack and have them meet us at the fountain in town square." Twilight explains.

"Oh, I see. But the only problem now is getting Rainbow Dash, but she's told me that she's currently training over at the Wonderbolts Academy. And I can't get inside because the new rules prevent me or anypony else from entering during training hours."

"Why's that?" Twilight asks.

"It was because of the time when we arrived at the training area to deliver Rainbow's package and we ended up crashing into the ground from the twister. They put up those rules to prevent any further casualties to anypony who's either authorized or unauthorized."

"While that is understandable, darling, you could've just flown with ease. You are a pegasus." Rarity says.

"I was too scared to fly. I was still afraid of heights back then. It's true, I've gotten over my fear of heights now, but I was way too scared back then. I'm sorry, girls." Fluttershy says, genuinely.

"It's alright, Twilight. It's all over and done with. We'll wait for Rainbow Dash to finish her training session and then we'll meet up with everypony else at town square." Twilight says, reassuringly.

"You don't have to wait for me that long..." Rainbow Dash called out from above. Twilight, Fluttershy and Rarity all looked up and saw her with her usual confident smirk. "...I'm right here! So what's going on and why do you need us all to meet at town square?" she asks.

"Princess Celestia and Sunset might have found a lead and need us all to be together so she can thoroughly explain the details to all of us. Come on! We have to hurry! Sunset and the others are probably waiting for us at the fountain right now!"

"Seriously? Wow, you girls work pretty fast!" Rainbow complimented in surprise. "Well then, how's about we hurry up and head into town? Can't leave our friends hangin'."

"Alright then. Come on." Twilight said. The girls followed the lavender alicorn down the path and trotted into the town of Ponyville, making their way to town square. Rainbow Dash, like the other girls, was curious about what Princess Celestia and Sunset found out. She was excited that they had discovered some leads, but at the same time, she was worried about whether or not if it would bring Spike back.

Moments, later, Twilight discovered Sunset, Pinkie Pie and Applejack all waiting by the fountain. The girls all regrouped with each other and waited for the princess to arrive with the others.


Back in the abandoned castle, Eternal Flames was finally well rested up and Shadow Force had exhausted all of his strength and is now taking a nap. Thanks to his ambitious attitude, Shadow Force had gone through at least 3 books involving Starswirl, but sadly, none had any leads. It didn't matter though, as long as he tried his best, but now it was Eternal's turn to bust his back doing research.

Eternal picked up an old spell book and read it out of curiousity, wondering what kind of spells Starswirl and Clover wrote back when they were still around. All of the spells were pretty harmless in the book he was reading, but as he turned one of the pages, a single sheet of paper fell out of the book.

His curiousity got the better of him so he put the book down and levitated the page that fell out. The sheet looked like it was torn out or something, but he didn't know why it was torn out. Eternal Flames' eyes caught sight of the message above the spell that was written. The message said "Warning: Do not read out loud or..." But the rest of the message was either scribbled or cut out. He quirked an eyebrow at that and wondered why this certain spell was so dangerous.

Because his ancient pony latin was a bit rusty, he could barely make out the words. He was unsure of whether or not he should heed the warning or not. His clear conciense was telling him to not do it, but his curiosity was telling him to unravel the mysteries. Though, he wanted to see what it can do, he heeded the warning and placed the page back into the book. But that doesn't mean that he wouldn't keep an eye on it.

Just then, Eternal had second thoughts and his curiousity had taken over him. He levitated the book and opened it, turning it from page to page until that one torn page fell out again. Eternal put the book down and levitated the torn page up to his face and read it in his mind, barely making out the words.

About halfway into the spell, he feels his magic become uneasy and his mind began to get cluttered with dark thoughts and he stopped to try to calm himself down for a bit. At that moment, Celestia walks into the library and sees her son and Shadow Force in the library and gasped. But it wasn't from the large amount of books they went through, it's the fact that Eternal was almost done, reading the forbidden spell.

"ETERNAL, NO, STOP!!!" Celestia shouts.