• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 1,109 Views, 13 Comments

Out of the Frying Pan - AnnonyMouse



Many months after the events from 'Into the Blender', Terra Harmony comes back too Ponyville...

  • ...
2
 13
 1,109

Chapter 4

Author: Annonymouse
MLP:FiM is property of Hasbro. This is a free fan-fiction, not to be sold or traded for any money, goods or services.
...
A/N: No comments on spelling or grammar please. See my profile for details.
...
Not a Grimdark story. Terra Harmony is back, and her presence brings anything BUT harmony... again.
...
Out of the Frying Pan
04
...

“I hate school...” Terra muttered from her place in the corner. She shot a glare at Shale, who was in another corner.

Why were they in the corners? Simply because they had started arguing and then the arguing broke out into a scuffle.

Cheerilee was not mean, but had broken the fight up and sent them to the corners for a time out.

Twilight was sitting next to Rainbow Dash at the front of the class, both were mirror images of just how BORING this kindergarten class was. Twilight was more than qualified to teach anything and more than what she was 'learning'.

Applejack was actually enjoying herself, even if her basic math and business skills were good enough for her to teach lessons.

Pinkie Pie was sitting next to Applejack, looking just as happy to be here, and she was being frighteningly well behaved.

Fluttershy sat at the far back of the class, and remained quiet, doing her lessons in silence. Angel was keeping an eye on her at all times, having come to terms with the truth that this was in fact filly Fluttershy.

Rarity sat between Fluttershy, and much to her dismay, some colt who kept flashing shy glances toward Fluttershy. Needless to say, she was not pleased, but had to protect Fluttershy from the evils of young colts.

Cheerilee was a patient teacher, teaching her lessons and doing her best to make it fun for these new ponies.

Finally, recess arrived and the eight fillies hurried from the classroom, finding a place out of the way from the other playing foals. They sat in a circle, facing each other.

“I...” Twilight slumped. “I know all this already... I could TEACH these classes.”

AJ chuckled. “Never though Ah'd hear our Egghead dissin' a chance to learn.”

“You can't learn something you already know.” Twilight retorted.

“I've read all this stuff already.” Terra muttered. “And more. Why is the 'history' of Equestria so... boring? I mean, no great wars, no great events. Only little things like some exploring and such.”

AJ chuckled. “Ah'm enjoyin all this. Ah never really had much chance to to to school when Ah was growin up.”

“Hopefully we'll be doing something more exciting after recess.” Rainbow Dash muttered.

Shale sat across from Terra. “I've been stuck in a cave all my life.” She looked at the history book she had brought with her. “Would be nice if I didn't have to be here... But NOOO. Princess Celery just had to make me join you. I mean...”

“Celestia dear.” Rarity corrected Shale. “Not Celery.”

“Whatever.” Shale shot Rarity a withering glare. “What I mean to say is I don't need to know this stuff, do I? Give me a chance to create.”

Pinkie giggled happily. “Next class is art. I think we're making something with clay.”

Rarity paled. “Clay? But... that's so... MESSY.” She looked absolutely appalled at the concept of 'playing with mud', as it were.

“Ah ain't never made nothin with clay before.” Applejack looked curious.

Fluttershy lit up. “Oh I love pottery. I made all my own bows and dishes.”

All who knew Fluttershy had seen her cute and pretty dinnerware and had to agree, she was good.

“Really?” Twilight blinked. “I thought you bought everything.”

“Oh no. It's so relaxing to make things out of clay. I even made the few little sculptures I have decorating my home.” Fluttershy looked at her friends, and at Shale, who she hoped could also be a friend.

“Give me a break.” Shale snorted. “Other than Terra, I'm the best here when it comes to shaping the elements of the Earth. Clay, stone, gems. We'll be unmatched.”

Terra looked doubtfully at her hooves. “Have you ever made anything with JUST your hooves? No magic at all?”

Shale froze. “Um... Not really...”

“Then this will be a rather interesting challenge.” Terra grinned.

...

“And you young filly, you'll be staying after class to scrape the clay off the ceiling.” Cheerilee finished a rather lengthy rant towards one Terra, who still had clay stuck in her mane.

What happened you ask?

Well...

Terra 'somehow' tried her hoof at channelling her Earth Pony magic through her hooves into the clay... with explosive results.

Rarity was traumatized as she took the brunt of the blast, covering her from head to hoof in clay. She was now resting up in 'her' clinic... AKA, the Spa.

So it was with less than any form of enthusiasm that Terra not only got to experience her first ever day at school, but her first ever detention.

Shale Nova was, somehow, the ONLY filly not to have gotten an iota of clay on her entire being, her small size compared to Terra being the saving grace. “Sucks to be you.”

“Oh shut it runt.” Terra fumed. “Seriously, I'm over 10,000 years old. Why do I have to do detention?”

Cheerilee stared at Terra. “You're how old?”

“Over 10,000. When you get that old, you tend to not remember the exact numbers.”

“That will be another ten minutes of detention for fibbing.”

“What? But...” Her shoulders slumped. “Fine...”

Cheerilee smiled, then got to examining the other clay projects.

Twilight had made... something. It looked horribly lumpy, with skinny deformities jutting out of it all over, and two flat, round things hanging limp to the sides. “It's Princess Celestia.”

“That's very good Twinkle.” Cheerilee smiled, hiding her amusement.

Twilight cringed. Of course Celestia would have used her cursed, top secret, middle name...

Diane (aka, Pinkie Pie) had made... a cupcake? “That's a wonderful cupcake.”

“I don't know about that. It would taste worse than those baked bads.” The pink pony grinned sheepishly at Applejack.

Cheerilee shuddered. She remembered being one of those victims... (Think happy thoughts...)

Next was a little orange and blond filly. “Appleteenie.” She blinked at her name chart. (Who names their foal Appleteenie?) “What did you make?”

“Ah made a figure ah mah big bro.” She smile, despite wanting to take a bite out of Princess Celestia. (What the hay? How's she hear that nickname? Ah course, Spike must ah written it in Twi's letter when we befriended Zecora.)

“It looks very nice... Wait, is that Big Macintosh?” Cheerilee looked a might bit confused, considering this figure looked VERY good. “I thought Apple Bloom was the youngest member of the Apple family.”

“Not anymore...” Appleteenie crossed her forelegs, not overly pleased with the prospect of being the youngest.

“Well, you have a striking resemblance to your big sister, Applejack.”

“Splittin image, ain't Ah?”...” Appleteenie gritted her teeth.

“Yes you are... So much so that you'd think...”

Appleteenie KNEW where this was going. Heck, some foal once started a rather nasty rumor about Apple Bloom, concerning Applejack and Big Mac being her real parents. “She ain't mah mom.”

“Oh, well... Never mind then.” (Hmm, Apple Bloom's dad died three months before she was born and her mother died in childbirth... who can be Appleteenie's parents?) She shook her head as she approached Fluttershy.

A very nice and fine looking set of teacups, and even a very nice teapot were presented. “Oh my. These are lovely Shy Shy.”

“Um... thank you Miss. Cheerilee.” Fluttershy smiled shyly.

“Just wait till we get to paint them during the next art class. I'm sure they will look even lovelier.”

“Th... thank you.”

Cheerilee smiled and paused. (She looks much like the local veterinarian, Fluttershy. In fact, they almost all look like ponies I know from town...) She glanced at the blue coated, white maned Pegasus.

(Here it comes... My real name... I'm going to die from embarrassment.)

“Prism?” Cheerilee walked up and looked at the cloud and lightening bolt emblem. “What did you make?”

The filly's eyes went wide. (Mom's name?) She smiled a little, blushing as she looked down. “This... this is only the coolest cutie mark ever.”

“Oh, that looks a lot like Scootaloo's, only I believe her cloud is shaped like a wing.” Cheerilee pointed out. “Ah, I remember now. Scootaloo used to draw pictures of this very cutie mark before she got hers.”

“It's Rainbow Dash's cutie mark...” Prism smiled weakly. (I want it back. It's not fair. This is the third time I've been a blank flank. This time I can't fly at all. My wings are too weak to even use wing kites... so how can I even hope to earn my mark again?)

“She's a wonderful role model. I'm certain someday you will get your cutie mark.” The teacher patted Prism on the head. “Now, class is done for the day. Please wait for your family or guardians to come pick you up.”

All the 'fillies' grimaced. This was going to be an issue.

But a saving grace walked through the doors moments after the bell rang. Well, for a certain cyan Pegasus at least. “I'm here.” Scootaloo beamed, smiling at her Mom. She knew she couldn't be calling her that for the time being. She didn't know WHAT to call her mini mom.

Dash rushed and hugged the bright pink Scootaloo. “Come on Scootaloo. Let's go home.” She waved to her friends as the pair left.

Moments later Apple Bloom entered. “Hiya Sis. Ready to go home?”

“Ya bet yer cutie mark Ah am.” Appleteenie was glad to be out of here.

Next was Sweetie Belle. “Where's my sister?” She asked.

Cheerilee looked at Sweetie Belle. “Oh, hello Sweetie Belle. Who was your sister again?”

“Um, she looks a lot like my big sister, Rarity. Who else?” A nervous grin was on her face. Sweetie Belle knew they were going to be using fake names while in school for the time being. She just didn't know what their name would be.

“Oh, you mean Amethyst. She had a little accident and had to leave. I think she's meeting Rarity at the Spa.”

“Oh... um, ok.” The budding young mare smiled and left. “Take care Miss Cheerilee.”

“You too Sweetie Belle.”

Twilight was really worried. Who would come pick her up? Spike was gone off too hide because of his massive size. Other than him, she lived all alone.

Her question was answered when a white Pegasus entered the room. Twilight recognized the royal guard.

“I'm here for my daughter.” He looked at Twilight. “Come along Twinkle.”

“Uh... Yes 'Dad'.” She glanced a concerned look at her remaining friends before following the very stern Captain Courage from the room.

Pinkie Pie looked at Fluttershy, then at Terra and Shale Nova. “So...” She started to ask.

“Diane?” Ms. Cake walked in, and her husband, Mr. Cake. “Come along deary. Time to go home.”

She didn't know what their 'relationship' was supposed to be.

Cup Cake grinned at Cheerilee. “We're here to pick up our daughter.”

This made Cheerilee VERY suspicious. “Daughter? When did the two of you have a daughter?”

“She's adopted.” Angel Cake smiled. “I do hope she didn't cause any trouble for you.”

“Certainly not. She was an absolute sweetheart. Very well behaved.” She smiled at the pink filly. “You're certainly lucky to have the Cakes as your adopted parents.”

“I certainly am.” Diane beamed. “Bye Miss Cheerilee.” She waved and left, bouncing along in an oddly familiar fashion.

Fluttershy was left alone with Terra and Shale Nova. She sat at the back of the class, waiting.

“Shy Shy?”

“Um...” She looked up at the kind teacher, but was still quite nervous, even more so now that her friends were gone.

“Is something the matter?”

“Oh, no... I just...” She squeaked nervously, and cutely.

A rapid series of thumps came from the doorway. A small white rabbit was standing there. Holding a scroll.

“Isn't that... Fluttershy's pet rabbit?” Cheerilee glanced at the scroll, which Angel was holding out. She accepted it and read it. “Oh, it's from Fluttershy, you big sister?” She eyed Shy Shy. “My, so many new fillies in town and today was the first I've heard of any of you.”

She felt a sudden kick on her leg, and the bunny pointed angrily at the scroll.

“Oh, of course. This is a letter that allows Angel Bunny to pick up Shy Shy from school.” She smiled at Angel. “Very well, you may take her home.”

Cheerilee watched the cute filly and cute bunny leave.

She then turned to the remaining pair. “Who are your families?”

“We're sisters.” Terra grinned. “I'm the big sister of course.”

“I can see that.”

“Old nag.” Shale Nova muttered, glaring at Terra.

“Tiny runt.” Terra spat back. From there, the name calling war began. Some of the odd terms were just odd, like Granny, pebble brain, prehistoric, and itty bitty teeny weeny.

“Now now my little fillies. You may be sisters, but I don't want to see you fighting. Besides, Terra, you have a detention to do.”

“Ugh... please don't remind me...” She grabbed a stick and started poking at the clay.

...

Five minutes later, Terra had finished, but had to wait another ten minutes writing lines. “I will not tell fibs.” Over and over.

“Your detention is over. Now, where are you family?”

“Um... We only have each other.” Terra frowned.

“Oh, why didn't you tell me you were orphans? Well, the orphanage isn't very far from here. Be careful alright?”

The pair of 'Unicorns' rushed out of the class.

...

Ponyville Library.

Twilight looked up at the stern and always serious Captain Courage. “Dad? Why did you call yourself my Dad?”

“Because that was the Princess's orders.”

Twilight threw her tiny legs in the air. “Ugh... But you have your duties in Canterlot.”

“Not for the time being. My standing orders are to play the roll of your father.” He looked around the library. “And as the new Librarian while 'Twilight Sparkle' is in Canterlot.”

Twilight winced. “So you know anything about running a library?”

“No. That's where you come in. You will be my assistant. Now, we should be having company right now. Downstairs with you young lady.”

“But Captain...”

“For the unforeseeable future, you will have to call me... Dad.”

Twilight sighed. “Dad? Seriously? Couldn't Princess Celestia have sent a Unicorn? It would be more believable.”

“Feel free to ask the Princess when you see her this weekend. In the meantime...”

“I get it... Dad.” She sighed.

“Good. Now, downstairs.”

...

The Cakes walked in with their 'adopted daughter' riding on Mr. Cake's back. “Hiya Twinkle. This is going to be so much fun. I haven't gotten to see my real mom and dad in a long time, or my sisters, but that's ok because I hear they're still working on the old farm and...”

“Diane, what did we say about rambling?” Miss. Cake smiled.

“Sorry Mom.” She hopped off 'Dad's' back and hugged 'Mom'.

The mare blushed. It felt so wonderful to be called Mom.

'Amethyst' and Sweetie Bell arrived with a VERY unhappy looking Appleteenie and a very amused looking Big Mac.

“Stow it Big Brother. It ain't funny.”

“Come now... Applejack. We don't have to use our names when in private.” Rarity giggled a little.

Captain Courage glared at the small white filly. “Yes you do, at all times. What if somepony were to overhear you?”

“Ah dun get why we gotta lie.” Appleteenie was VERY unhappy.

Courage dropped a bunch of scrolls on the floor, from under his wings. “These papers show your current true identities. Now, where are the other two?”

“Right here. Don't go molting all your feathers.” A white maned 'Prism' walked through the door.

She was accompanied by Scootaloo, Fluttershy and Angel.

Scootaloo looked up at the Captain. “Wow, Captain Courage? Can I have your autograph? You're my favorite of all the Royal Guard.”

“No.” He replied simply. “Now, these papers have all been prepared and signed by Princess Celestia herself.” He looked at Fluttershy. “I'm sorry I didn't pick you up from the school. I honestly didn't see you there.” His voice softened. “Are you still so shy?”

Shy Shy nodded, cowering a little.

“You're too much like your mother...” He sighed.

“I-I'm sorry... Daddy.” Shy Shy looked up at Courage with her large soft green eyes.

...

To Be Continued...