• Published 24th Aug 2017
  • 2,064 Views, 37 Comments

Equestria Girls: Adventures with the Crystal Gems - MetaLord395



In which the Rainbooms, the Crystal Gems, and their allies get mixed up in a series of adventures concerning outer space.

  • ...
6
 37
 2,064

Ch 1: The Fallout

Christmas break had arrived, and normally everyone was in good spirits this time of year. Everyone that is, except one. The poor unfortunate soul in question was Sunset Shimmer, a student at Canterlot High. Just recently, someone named Anon-A-Miss spread nasty rumors about her friends throughout the school, and many people, her friends included, had assumed that she had gone back to being a bully. This wasn’t the case, of course, but Sunset’s friends would have none of it. This broke Sunset in ways that she had never experienced in her life. Her so-called friends weren’t there for her when she needed them the most. Now that the holidays had arrived, she was more alone than ever, even more so than after the Fall Formal. But at least her friends stood by her then.

What was wrong with them? Sure, she didn’t get off to a great start with them, but she was making an effort to change, was she not? If not for her, the whole world would be under the control of the Dazzlings. Did they really think she’d go back to treating her peers like dirt after she had saved the entire world?

“Well,” she muttered to herself, “there’s no point staying here in this city anymore.” And she felt that she was not ready yet to return to Equestria.

There was only one thing that she could do: Run away.

The problem was, where? It had to be someplace nearby. She didn’t have enough money to go long-distance.

Sunset walked up the steps to her apartment. She took out a big wad of cash, her cell phone, and a few non-perishable pieces of food, and tied them up in a big sack. “Now I just need a destination,” she mumbled to herself. As she walked across the room, something caught her eye: an old postcard, still splashed with color, that she had received all those years ago.

WELCOME TO BEACH CITY

Her mind clicked at the sight of the four words. She decided that she would turn over a new leaf over there and be free of all her past sins. She’d have to find a job, of course, but she could take care of that later. And best of all, no one need ever know of her past. It was a place where she could finally be herself.

There was just one last thing left to do: let everyone know she was leaving.

She took out a piece of paper, turned the light on, and started writing.

Dear Canterlot High,

If you’re reading this, then I’m sorry that I ever came to your school in the first place. I just wanted to have friends, so I started bullying you to vent my anger and sorrows. I never meant to enslave you at the Fall Formal, and I never meant to cause as much trouble as I did. Even though you eventually forgave me, Anon-a-Miss showed up and ruined everything. Every one of you turned on me, even my friends, who I thought would stand by me. I thought that things would improve for me once the Battle of the Bands ended, but boy was I wrong. Guess I was naïve to think that way.

To Flash Sentry, you were the greatest boyfriend I ever had. I know that you and Twilight would be very happy together. To Snips and Snails, I’m sorry for recruiting you to help me to try and ruin Twilight’s reputation. You deserve better than that. To Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and especially Fluttershy, I’m sorry for destroying your friendship. You girls were the best friends I ever had, and even though you think otherwise, I never was Anon-a-Miss and I never will be. And finally, to Twilight Sparkle and Spike, thank you for introducing me to the magic of friendship and for introducing me to your best friends. I hope that everything is going okay with your duties as a princess. Know that I appreciate the help you have given me.

I hope you all have a wonderful New Year without me. I know that I certainly will now that I’m never coming back here again.

Yours truly, for the final time,

Sunset Shimmer

She sighed. There was nothing left for her here anymore. Without further ado, she started to go down the steps and into the cold, windy night. The snow was falling gently, like a magical Christmas dream. The entire street lit up in red and green, as people walked around savoring the holiday atmosphere. A few kids ran playfully through the streets, clearly eager with anticipation for the Christmas season. Sunset sighed. This would probably be the last time she would see these familiar sights ever again. She wondered what her so-called friends were doing, probably partying it up at Applejack’s, she thought bitterly to herself.

“I’m sorry, Twilight,” she said sadly. “I really am. I wish you were here, so that I could have asked you what to do.” She was wondering whether Twilight was having a better time than she was.

She continued to make her way out of the city, hoping to not catch any one’s eye as she did so.

“Sunset Shimmer?”

She froze at the sound of the two words, then turned around. Flash Sentry was staring back at her, wearing a warm black jacket, a red scarf, and a winter hat over his everyday attire. And at the moment, he was staring back at her, a concerned expression on his face.

“Everything okay?” he asked gently.

What was she supposed to say? That the memories of what had happened the past week had scarred her for life? She sighed, then looked her ex-boyfriend in the eyes.

“Everything’s … okay, Flash,” she said at last.

“What are you doing out here?” he inquired further, concerned. “Isn’t it a bit too cold for you?”

You’re one to talk, Sunset thought to herself bitterly. “Everything’s okay, Flash,” she lied, almost believing it. “I’m just heading over to Applejack’s for the Christmas party.”

Flash eyed the bundle Sunset was carrying. “What’s that bundle for?” he asked curiously.

The gears in Sunset’s head turned quickly. “This is . . . what I’m carrying for the party,” she lied again. “It’s no big deal. Catch you later.” And with that, she turned around and continued walking at a quicker pace, hoping to put more distance between them. He may not have known it, but he was bringing up bad memories for her that she wanted to forget.

Soon, she reached the edge of the city limit. A great big green sign read:

NOW LEAVING CANTERLOT CITY

Sunset sighed. This is it, she thought to herself. Slowly, she took her first step out of the city, and continued walking until the bright lights disappeared as the snow continued to fall gently all around her.