• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 4,251 Views, 62 Comments

Mare Do Well Meets Her Match - DestinyDecade



A take on an MLP episode changing things around while making things good

  • ...
21
 62
 4,251

Chapter 1: A New Hero Emerges

Mare-Do-Well Meets Her Match

An MLP: Friendship is Magic Fan-Fiction

Written by Jose Vega (DestinyDecade)

Chapter 1 – A New Hero Emerges

It was a typical afternoon in the town of Ponyville. Most of the townfolk were either trotting about or were busy with work. One such pony however was on the move. He was rapidly moving about carrying several things contained in his knapsack. He also made sure not to crash into any incoming ponies during his trot about. With kind words like “excuse me” and “pardon”, they let him pass through. The pony had a blue coat having a light blue mane. He also had dark blue eyes but his cutie mark was very different. It consisted of a yellow outer circle with a black inner circle with two red trapezoids that cover portions of the upper left and bottom right of the circle. His head was moving about. He was worried about something.

Come on already. Where is it? The blue pony thought. Ah, there it is. He raced off in a different direction leading to the park.

He was able to make it with a little time to spare. He saw a crowd of ponies gathering around. They were cheering as a pony was revered for their heroic actions. It was a female Pegasus that had a light blue coat, moderate cerise eyes and a mane that had all seven colors of the rainbow. She had a cutie mark consisting of a cloud unleashing a lightning bolt that was red, yellow and blue. Her name was heard all over the place.

“Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash!” The sound of the crowd got louder as he went closer. He then met up with two of his friends.

“Hey guys!” He shouted. They didn’t hear his voice. He decided to gently tap on one of them. A mare with a cowboy hat turned around and immediately noticed him nearby.

“Hey Robbie! How are ya today?” She said. The cheering made her have to shout.

“I’m doing fine Applejack! What’s going on here?” He answered. “What’s with the cheering?”

“It’s Rainbow Dash! She’s being hailed as a hero again!” Applejack said. She then gave him a nod and the two trotted to a nearby tree. Another pony followed as well.

Applejack was a female earth pony having a brilliant light gamboge coat with a mane having a grayish olive being pale and light. She also had moderate sap green eyes and her cutie mark consisting of three apples. Next to her was a unicorn having violet eyes, a light grayish mulberry coat that was pale and a mane consisting of three colors; brilliant rose, violet and sapphire blue with a modest pinch. Her cutie mark was of a six-sided star, a star inside showing its six points as well as five five-sided stars that cover around the bigger star. The three were far from the cheering crowd. It was a good place to talk.

“What’s with the crowd anyway? They were cheering for Rainbow Dash. Did she do anything nice?” Rob asked.

“She just saved somepony’s baby carriage from running off.” Applejack said. “And now she’s hailed as a hero.”

“A hero? I didn’t know that she’s a hero around here…” But Rob retorts, “Other than me, of course. Right Twilight?”

“We all know that you’re a hero Rob. You’re the pony that saved Equestria. But when it comes to stuff like this, Rainbow Dash is the one.” Twilight replied.

Applejack went on to say, “Yep. I think ‘modest’ should be one such word to describe Rainbow Dash.” The other two nodded agreeing.

“She’s kind of cool in my book. There’s even a fan club devoted to her. I’m not surprised there isn’t one for me.” Rob spoke, “Anyway, I got to find this pony. He said for me to meet here. I’m like where is he and all that.”

“Well, I think I just met him. He’s over there waiting for you.” Twilight went on to add, “You don’t want to get him mad.” That made Rob worried.”

“Right. I’ll see you guys later. If you see Pinkie, tell her I’m going to be back late. See ya!” Rob shouted, waving as he trots off rapidly.

Unbeknownst though, Rob trips on a nearby rock and hits his face on a patch of dirt. Twilight and Applejack winced seeing that. Once he got up, he was on the move again. The two then went back to the crowd that had already dispersed hoping to talk with Rainbow Dash.

“Another day, another rescue. Everypony knows I’m their favorite hero.” Rainbow Dash said. She was self-confident and happy to boot.

“Yeah, everypony knows all that.” Applejack retorted. “Come on Rainbow Dash. We all should head back.” But she looks to find Rainbow Dash already off again.

In a retirement home, there were many elderly ponies enjoying a peaceful day on the boardwalk. Some were playing checkers on a table while others were looking at the beautiful sky wanting some piece and quiet. Below them however, the support that held the boardwalk began to weaken. The ponies up top had no idea what would happen. Within a few seconds, it gave way and the boardwalk began to fall. Everyone wondered if this was the end and they would get hurt. But that soon changes.

“Never fear, your friendly neighborhood Rainbow Dash is here!” The voice of the rainbow-haired Pegasus was heard.

Without wasting time, she was able to hold onto the boardwalk. It caused the descent to slowdown until it gently hit the ground. The elderly ponies were able to walk out of the fallen boardwalk. Ponies began to gather and cheer for Rainbow Dash. Her name was heard throughout the crowd. But Twilight and a few of her friends weren’t cheering. They were more concerned.

“You know what? Call me silly, but I think this whole hero business might be going to Rainbow Dash’s head.” Twilight said. Her other friends nodded in agreement.

One of them in a hyperactive manner replied, “You may be right, silly.” She then giggled for a bit. Twilight however looked on dejectedly.

This happy-go-lucky pony named Pinkie Pie had a coat of light pink with a mane that was hot pink and puffy like cotton candy. She had light blue eyes and had a demeanor that made anyone smile. Her cutie mark consisted of three balloons: two blue and one yellow. Next to Applejack were two other ponies that were concerned. The first was a female pegasus pony named Fluttershy. She had teal eyes with a pale pink mane and a light yellow coat. She had a cutie mark comprising of three pink butterflies. This signified her talent for taking care of animals. Next to her was a female unicorn pony called Rarity who had a look of elegance all around. With a light gray coat, azure eyes, and a moderate indigo mane that has a gradient of dark to modest mulberry. She also had eye shadow that was light bluish gray and her cutie mark was three diamonds. All of them saw Rainbow Dash being praised but the attitude she was showing made them think otherwise.

Two hours later…

Inside the Rainbow Dash Fan Club at Sugarcube Corner, Rainbow Dash was talking about a previous exploit she went through. Many of the ponies inside were looking on in amazement. One such dragon pony however was writing things down on a notepad. He was a purple dragon had pistachio eyes, harlequin spikes, light mulberry scales, an underbelly that is spring budish gray and lime green ears. He wore a journalist’s uniform and next to him was a pony taking photos of Rainbow Dash. Everything was going good.

“Ya know everypony, Rainbow Dash may be awesomely heroic that day but now she’s awesomely arrogant ever since.” Applejack said. Pinkie Pie and Twilight nodded in agreement.

“Hey Applejack. Want to be immortalized as my lifelong friend?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Immorta-what?” replied Applejack, but was too late saying anything else. Rainbow Dash grabbed her and the camera colt took a picture of them together.

“Are you taking notes right now Spike?” Twilight said. Spike nodded. “Oh and what for?”

“Simple. I’ve been hoof-picked by Rainbow Dash herself to write her autobiography. Isn’t that great?” Spike replied. He had a cheerful demeanor taking more notes.

Twilight however was a bit worried, “Uh, aren’t autobiographies supposed to be written by the pony that do this?” But Rainbow Dash interrupted her.

“Maybe for a normal run-of-the mill pony. But I’m way too busy saving lives to stop and write. That’s why I’m hiring Spike as my personal ghost writer.” Rainbow Dash replied.

“Eeeeeek! Spike’s a ghost!” yelled Pinkie. She then jumped and ended up behind Rob. Rob was unimpressed.

“Ghost writer… Dashie, I think biographer is the perfect word for it.” Rob said. Hearing his voice gave Pinkie a bit of relief.

“Huh? Hi Robbie!” Pinkie said, hugging Rob. “How was work? Did you do well? Huh? Tell me Robbie. Tell me.” She kept asking over and over. Rob simply felt exhausted.

“Pinkie… now isn’t a good time. Work was a nightmare and believe me, dealing with that one pony is bad enough.” He lets off a sigh. He got a look at Rainbow Dash showing off. “She’s at it again isn’t she?” Every other pony nodded.

“She just saved some old ponies today and now, she’s telling everypony another one of her stories.” Twilight replied. Rob took a look at Rainbow Dash again.

“Figures. She has a lot to learn about what a real hero is. Anyway, I’m going upstairs to unwind. I need to get today’s work out of my system. Later.” Rob spoke. He waved at all of them while heading upstairs.

“Don’t worry Pinkie. Robbie here won’t work too hard tomorrow.” Applejack said. “At least for his sake, he needs a break.” They all look at Rainbow Dash talking again.

“By doing this, I can be completely focused on doing these acts of bravery that no other pony has the guts to perform. That’s right! It takes guts… a lot of guts. It also takes brains and some cases a big lunch and a nice long nap.” Rainbow Dash said. Spike continued taking notes. “After all, being a hero isn’t something anypony can do, but I’m always up for any challenge.”

More ponies continued to ask questions and Rainbow Dash replied to the best of her ability. Twilight and the others looked on seeing how much a hero she is to all of them. They then look at each other nodding. Heading to a nearby room upstairs, the five ponies decide to have a chat. Applejack closed the door so that no other pony can hear them.

“Now that we’re here, we need to talk. Rainbow Dash is really taking it too far.” Twilight said. The others nodded.

“She’s arrogant and if ah didn’t know any better, she’s boasting.” Applejack replied.

“I agree. I think it’s time we should teach Rainbow Dash a lesson in humility. Here’s what we need to do. Rarity, I need you to design some costumes. They’ll be needed for the plan.” Twilight asked.

“Of course darling. I’ll do my best to make the most fabulous costumes.” Rarity replied.

“Um… Twilight?” Fluttershy asked, “What if Rainbow Dash tries to figure out who this hero really is?” Twilight thought about it for a bit but she had an idea.

“This hero doesn’t need one pony to do all the work. We can portray the hero in different ways. Applejack, you have your brute strength. Pinkie Pie, your Pinkie senses can be able to avoid anything. Fluttershy, you can be able to fly and do aerial rescues. I can use my magic of course.” Twilight explained.

“Okie dokie! This is going to be so much fun!” Pinkie Pie replied. “I really can’t wait to be a hero!”

But then Twilight issues one warning to everypony in the room. “One thing though… not a single word to Rainbow Dash. We need to teach her that being a hero doesn’t mean she should brag.”

“Here here.” Applejeack said. All five ponies nodded and went for a group brohoof.

With the brohoof done, the five left the room and returned downstairs. They find that the Fan Club meeting came to an end. Rainbow Dash was simply waiting for them at a nearby table. Chatter between the six ensued leading into laughs. For Rainbow Dash, she enjoyed a day of being herself and being a hero. If only she knew of the misfortune that was about to befall her.

The next day…

It was another typical yet beautiful day in Ponyville. Many of the folk were moving about while in the park, everyone was having a good time. Rainbow Dash was giving out an autograph to a young filly. Trying to write her name with a pencil in her mouth wasn’t easy.

“Here you go.” Said a smiling Rainbow Dash.

“Thank you Rainbow Dash. Someday, I want to be just like you when I grow up.” The young filly replied. Hearing it made Rainbow Dash happy.

“You only need to aim high kid, but don’t aim for the impossible. Anything is possible.” But Rainbow Dash was interrupted by the sound of a scream.

Everyone looked up and saw a pony named Cherry Berry screaming for her life. The hot air balloon she was on caught a hole and it began to descend at a rapid rate. Cherry kept yelling out “Help!” over and over. Everypony wondered if Rainbow Dash would save the day.

“Uh, don’t ya think you should go up there and help her?” said a small unicorn pony named Snips.

“Okay, okay. Give me ten seconds. I need to finish this.” Answered Rainbow Dash. Having a pen in her mouth made it hard to speak.

“This is getting tense. Will Rainbow Dash make it and save the day?” Spike said, looking in anticipation.

But that changed when somepony came out of nowhere and saved Cherry Berry from the falling hot air balloon. Everyone who saw it looked on in amazement. The pony wore an outfit consisting of a purple suit with dark blue hoof shoes, a purple hat and a large dark blue cape. Seeing it save Cherry caused Rainbow Dash to be jealous. Within seconds the crowd gathered around this new hero and praising this fellow.

“Holy turnips, that pony just came outta nowhere and saved her.” Spoke one pony.

“It’s amazing! I’ve never seen such bravery in all my life.” Replied Daisy, an earth pony. But then the Mayor of Ponyville showed up to offer her praise.

“That’s right! On this day, Ponyville has a new hero. We have a mysterious mare that has done a great service by our fair city. Henceforth, I dub this new masked hero ‘The Mysterious Mare Do Well’!” With the mayor’s words, everyone cheered for this new hero.

Rainbow Dash however wasn’t cheering. “Mare Do Well? What kind of name is that? Well that mare would do well to stay out of my way. Ponyville has room for one hero and that’s me!” She flies off hoping to find some other pony to help.

Near the cheering crowd was Rob who was carrying a camera and taking photos. Hearing of this new hero got him curious. Once he obtained enough shots, he trotted off back to town.

So that’s Mare Do Well huh… But after thinking about it, Rob simply described her by saying this, Unimpressive… simply unimpressive. They all have no idea what a hero really is.

He continued to trot back with photos in tow. With everything going on, he didn’t seem surprised. With a new hero showing up in town, everyone was excited. Except for Rainbow Dash however, she wasn’t. What will Rainbow Dash do to regain her fans? Will she be able to outshine Mare-Do-Well or will Mare-Do-Well be the one who will outshine her? Only time will tell.

To be continued…

Disclaimer
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic belongs to Hasbro and Lauren Faust

Rob Stallion belongs to me

Nova belongs to Marvel Comics