• Published 22nd Aug 2017
  • 1,969 Views, 235 Comments

It's The End Of The World As We Know It - Samey90



It's the final year in school for Indigo and her friends. There are still a lot of challenges to face and she's prepared for all of them... except maybe finding love.

  • ...
8
 235
 1,969

PreviousChapters Next
2. A Big Violin

The first half of summer vacation passed far too quick for Indigo’s tastes. The days were sunny, filled to the brim with sports, meeting her friends, and a trip to the mountains with her parents. Her muscles were still sore after days of hiking when she came back to the town, but that didn’t stop her from digging out her bike from the basement and going to meet Sunny Flare.

It seemed that summer weather and an excess of free time served Sunny well. She wore some new blue dress; or at least Indigo thought so, since she’d never seen that one before and given Sunny’s love for shopping, the dress was pretty likely to be new. Sunny was sitting on a bench in the park, reading something from the screens installed in her bracelets.

“Hello,” Indigo said as her bike skid to a halt. “What’s up?”

“The sun,” Sunny replied with a smirk. “Mom made a lot of money with that new tampon advertisement, so we went to Paris for a weekend. I got so much inspiration…”

“Sure,” Indigo muttered. “Your mom makes tampon ads now? That’s some blood money if you ask me…”

Sunny Flare rolled her eyes. “I said the same thing, but I stopped laughing when we landed in Paris. Also, Lemon’s mom feels better.”

“That’s good, I guess.” Indigo sat on the bench next to Sunny. “And how are Sour and Sugarcoat?”

“Sour Sweet called me yesterday in the middle of the night.” Sunny sighed. “Judging from the bad quality of the connection and her rambling about horses, she probably spends vacation on her uncle’s farm. Good thing we managed to shoot the music video before she left.”

Indigo raised her eyebrows. “Wait, what music video?”

“Just a little collaboration with those girls from Canterlot High,” Sunny replied. “We did some good dancing. I’ll show you later.”

“Interesting. I dance like a retarded elephant on drugs anyway,” Indigo said. “As for Sour, she’ll come back fat, hung over, and angry, right?” She shrugged. “Though I must admit, with her aunt’s cooking, everyone would get fat.”

“Totally,” Sunny replied. “As for Sugarcoat, I guess she sits in her little cave of spleen and flamboyant eroticism. When I asked her if she wanted something from Paris, she asked me for an original edition of Les fleurs du mal, so I guess she’s now learning the poems by heart.”

“Sounds… fun,” Indigo muttered. “To think about it, maybe we should get her out of her cave and watch some movie together? Something not involving flowers of evil.”

Sunny Flare nodded. “Sounds good to me. I’ll call Lemon, maybe she’ll want to go with us.”

“Sure.” Indigo produced the phone out of the pocket of her shorts. “I’ll call Sugarcoat then.” She scrolled down her list of contacts to find the one labelled as “Creepy Coatie” and tapped it with her finger.

After a few signals, she heard Sugarcoat’s voice. “Morgue, how can I help you?”

Indigo rolled her eyes. “That was much funnier the first time you did that. Sun grows, grass shines, birds bark, dogs sing, and I think it’s about time you move your ass and join us to enjoy such a beautiful day. How do you fancy that?”

“Sounds good to me,” Sugarcoat replied. “I found myself craving for interaction with you all. Where are we gonna meet?”

Indigo looked at Sunny Flare, who was talking with Lemon Zest over her phone. She only caught some bits of what she was talking about, but it was enough to learn the answer.

“By the youth centre,” Indigo said.

“Cool,” Sugarcoat muttered. “See you around.”

Indigo put the phone back in her pocket. “Okay,” she said. “Now we only have to get to the youth centre.” She hopped on her bike.

“Are you gonna leave me like that?” Sunny pointed at her dress and high heels. She had come to the park on foot, but there was no way she could keep up with Indigo’s bicycle.

“Well, you can always sit on the frame,” Indigo said. “It’s not the first time, after all.”

“Yeah, when we were ten!” Sunny exclaimed. “And if I recall correctly, I ended up in the ER with a bruised face. I still have a scar.”

“Well, scars are a part of a childhood,” Indigo replied. “Do you want to know where I have a scar? It was one hell of a climbing accident, but at least I had a soft landing.”

“That’s not a part of you I’d like to see,” Sunny deadpanned, standing up. “We can go there by foot.”

“You saw it. We shower together after the gym!” Indigo smirked. “Also, that’s gonna be so slow!”

Sunny blushed. “I don’t stare at you when we shower. To this day, I hoped you don’t either.”

Indigo chuckled. “You know I don’t swing that way. But you know, being a vegetarian doesn’t mean you can’t take a look at the menu.” She kicked the pedals of her bike. “See you at the youth centre!”

“Your father was also in such a hurry and look into the mirror to see what happened,” Sunny muttered under her breath, trying to chase her. Soon, it proved hopeless; she could technically walk faster in high heels, but that’d mean quite an undignified way of walking and she couldn’t let that happen. She just sighed and gritted her teeth, watching Indigo disappearing in the distance.


Indigo pushed the brakes of her bike, making it spin on the pavement before stopping by the wall of the youth centre. She attached it to a bicycle stand with a padlock and looked around. Sunny, Sugarcoat, and Lemon Zest were nowhere to be seen. Instead, the whole place was filled with Canterlot High students, carrying musical instruments or dressed in weird garments.

“Is there anyone in this school who doesn’t play anything?” Indigo muttered to herself, looking at two young guys. One of them was holding a skull.

“To be, or not to be…” he exclaimed in the most dramatic fashion. However, his monologue was quickly interrupted by a green girl with short, dark hair and red earrings. She yanked the skull out of his hands.

“How many more times do I have to remind you it’s not this monologue, thou cream-faced loon?” she exclaimed, rolling her eyes, and lifted the skull. “Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him well, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.” She turned to Indigo, put her hand on her arm and looked her in the eyes. “Maybe you’d relieve me from those two fools? My name’s Sophisticata and I could really use a new Guildenstern…”

Indigo backpedalled, looking at Sophisticata unsurely. “I dunno, I was never much into figure skating…”

Sophisticata covered her face with her hands. “Guildenstern, not Rittberger…” She sighed. “But of course, what could I expect from a Crystal Prep student…”

“You can tell that without a uniform?” Indigo raised her eyebrows.

“Of course! You walk differently, as if you still had the uniform. Blocked arms, tight ass...”

“Yeah, sure.” Indigo turned back to walk as far away from Sophisticata as possible. Unfortunately, she bumped into some grey girl, causing them both to fall on the ground.

“Hey, you, with a big violin, watch out!” Indigo exclaimed.

“It’s a cello, you chav.” The girl stood up and picked her case. Her friend, who was carrying some sort of a big trumpet, looked down on Indigo and walked away. While getting up, Indigo saw Bulk standing nearby with a violin case in his hands. She smiled and waved at him, but he disappeared in the crowd when the two girls joined him.

“Oh, come on, dude,” Indigo muttered. She sneaked through the crowd, into the youth centre. It was rather easy to spot Bulk – he was much taller than anyone else around him. Indigo followed him down the corridor leading to a large concert hall. It was well-lit, with seats forming a half-circle surrounding the stage in the middle.

Indigo looked around, but she couldn’t see Bulk anywhere. She sat on one of the seats, next to a green-haired girl wearing a red beret and sketching something on a piece of paper.

“Hello,” Indigo said. The girl didn’t reply, completely focused on her pencil. Indigo shrugged and looked down at the stage.

There weren’t many things happening at the moment. Some guy was carefully positioning a timpani while a yellow-skinned girl in a white dress was trying various passages on the piano. Indigo thought that it’d probably be easier if her green friend wasn’t lying on the instrument, waving her legs and looking into the pianist’s eyes.

Indigo realised that she’d seen both of them before. They took part in the Friendship Games, though judging from their endless quips about big tools and complete disregard of workplace safety rules, they didn’t take it very seriously. And somehow their birdhouse had even weirder design than the one Sunny and Sour Sweet built.

Still, it was enough for Indigo to assume that she knew them well enough to talk. She walked down and climbed on the stage. The girl at the piano hit the keys, ending the arpeggio with a dramatic pause when Indigo approached her. Meanwhile, the girl on the piano turned towards Indigo and smiled.

“Hi,” Indigo said. “I’m looking for a friend.”

The girls looked at each other.

“Well, we are friends with everyone,” the green one said. “But you have to have quick fingers. To play piano, that is.” She chuckled and played a short, upbeat snippet on the piano – despite seeing the keys upside down.

“Dammit, Lyra.” The pianist shook her head.

“Well, I only play the electric triangle,” Indigo replied. “And you should know my friend. He’s big and muscular, has an earring and usually speaks rather loudly.”

“Triangles? Best things come in threes.” Lyra smirked. “Bonnie can’t get it.”

“Lyra, she’s looking for Bulk.” Bonnie groaned. “And get off my piano.” She turned to Indigo. “Bulk should be here soon, with the rest of the strings.”

“Well, she can be open-minded.” Lyra sat on the piano and shrugged. “Will you come to us sometime? None of our friends can play the clarinet.”

“Sorry to hear that,” Indigo replied. “Are you in some band or something?”

“Well, my ambition is a free jazz ensemble,” Bonnie said. “Though I’m no stranger to nu jazz. We have a good bassist, a DJ, a saxophone and sousaphone players, but sadly, most of our school prefers rock and other lesser genres. Or classical music at best.”

“Yes,” Indigo muttered. “What is a sousaphone?”

“This big trumpet.” Lyra pointed at the girl who just entered the stage. Indigo recognised her as the companion of the cellist she’d bumped into earlier. “Watch out for her, by the way. She’s sending all the mixed signals.”

“That’s what you think,” Bonnie said.

Indigo stopped listening to them as she saw Bulk getting on the stage, followed by the black-haired cellist. She walked across the platform to them.

When Bulk saw her, he raised his eyebrows. “Indigo? What are you doing here?”

“I…” Indigo shrugged. ‘Well, I just wanted to say hello. How was the camp?”

“Pretty cool.” Bulk looked at the girl with a cello, who was eyeing Indigo curiously. “Listen, we have a rehearsal soon, but we can hang out after it ends, okay?”

“Aww…” Indigo replied. “I was going to go to the cinema with my friends.”

Bulk’s smile faded. “Too bad. We should meet sometime.”

“Well, we live in the 21st century,” Indigo replied. “Does anyone have a pen?”

“I have,” the girl with a sousaphone said, raising her hand. Indigo grabbed the pen and wrote her phone number on the top of Bulk’s sheet music.

“Call me later.” She saluted and walked up the stairs, to the place where she spotted Sunny Flare standing with Sugarcoat and Lemon Zest, watching the spectacle.

“We were just wondering what you were doing,” Sunny Flare said when Indigo reached them.

“A fool of yourself, as usual,” Sugarcoat muttered. She was resting her back against the wall, hardly interested in what was going on.

“Oh, please.” Lemon patted Indigo’s back. “Don’t you see she found her true love?”

“Shut up, Lemon,” Indigo replied. “He’s just a friend.”

“Sure.” Lemon chuckled. “I know such friendships. I had few ‘friends’ like that before.”

“Yeah, because you’re the one to talk.” Indigo raised her hands. “You’re totally an expert.”

“Indigo’s kinda right,” Sugarcoat said. “Your longest relationship lasted for a week until the guy realised how many issues hide behind that cute face. And it was only because he was kinda slow.” She turned to Indigo. “As for Indigo, the closest she was to being in a relationship was kissing Neon Lights in the fifth grade. And then throwing up.”

Indigo groaned. “Can you stop reminding me of the worst parts of my life?”

“No.”

“Serves you right,” Sunny Flare said. “You were kinda an ass when you left me in the park.”

“Shouldn’t have worn the high heels,” Indigo muttered. “Also, Neon probably never heard of toothpaste.”

“What movie are we gonna watch?” Lemon Zest asked.

“If we’re going to watch Dawn of the Undead Sharks 3D again, I’m gonna pass,” Sugarcoat muttered.

“Why’d we watch the same movie twice?” Indigo asked. “I don’t even know what’s in the cinema now. Sunny?”

Sunny Flare clicked some button on her bracelets. “Voodoo and The Art of Guitar Tuning, Earth and Us, All About the Fridge, Waterproof Fire, and Mesquito the BBQ Bug.”

Mesquito?” Lemon Zest’s face lit up.

Indigo raised her eyebrows. “Aren’t you a little too old for cartoons?”

Sugarcoat blushed. “Actually… I wanted to see this movie too.”

Indigo groaned. “Earth and Us?”

“Not this pseudo-intellectual drivel…” Sunny Flare rolled her eyes. “All About the Fridge is way better.”

"If you say you know what that movie means, you're a liar, because it doesn't mean anything," Sugarcoat muttered.

“I drank a bottle of wine before seeing it,” Sunny Flare replied. “And then another one afterwards.”

“And you discovered its meaning while hugging the toilet and watching your dinner coming back.” Sugarcoat let out a small chuckle. “That’s what your interpretation of this movie is worth.”

“So, Mesquito?” Lemon Zest asked.

“Yes,” Indigo replied. “Mainly because it’s Summer and I don’t want to overheat my brain trying to discover my true self in the cinema. I know that it’s hideous, even without looking.”

Sunny Flare groaned. “Okay. But next time I’m choosing the movie.”

“Yeah, if we let you.” Indigo grabbed the handlebars of her bicycle. “Last one at the cinema buys the popcorn!”

Author's Note:

Several rejected movie titles Bootsy and I came up with: Return of the Living Sofa, Twelve Angry Women, Flex and Flexibility, and Revenge of the Smoother. Also, "Earth and Us" was apparently hailed by many as the most pretentious bullshit ever. As for "All About the Fridge", no one gets the plot, but Leonardo DiCaprio won a second Oscar because of it.

Also, Sugarcoat is into CGI cartoons and Charles Baudelaire. Somehow.

PreviousChapters Next