• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 2,539 Views, 78 Comments

Shades of Grey - Inquisitor M



Luna and Rarity, with the help of a few of Celestia's elite guards, must fight to make peace with themselves before they can make peace with the past, and Rarity must learn to overcome the harshest enemy she has ever faced: Herself.

  • ...
9
 78
 2,539

6. Whispers in the Moonlight

6. Whispers in the Moonlight

Rarity cowered behind the bodywork of the chariot, holding her beret on with a hoof as the wind tore at her scarf. The two pegasi up front wore identical grey coats, blue manes, and form-fitting lilac armour; beyond that, she could see only the numerous differences between them and any other royal guard.

On the ground, they’d chatted idly and paced around. The smaller one had been delightfully enthusiastic in stowing her bag on the chariot and pressing to get them into the air as quickly as possible. The larger one just stared silently, yet it was neither the stoic vigilance she expected from a guard, nor the ogling of the less refined members of his gender. Rarity hadn’t thought to conduct formal introductions, but now that the chariot raced along, something as simple as their names might be helpful.

“I say. Would you gentlestallions mind slowing down a little, please?”

The two pegasi exchanged a brief glance, but neither spoke nor slowed.

Maybe they couldn’t hear her above the howling wind. “Perhaps you didn’t hear me. I said could you possibly slow down a little, please?

“Order it,” the smaller stallion said, having little trouble making his voice carry.

Rarity opened her mouth to reply, but a sudden lurch in the chariot sent her cowering behind the chassis again. Still holding her hat in place, her other hoof hung over the rail, clamping her tightly to the glorified flying bucket.

“I would very much like you to slow down, please!” Still nothing. With a huff, she pulled herself up. “Very well! I order you to slow down immediately!”

The chariot promptly slowed. In the reduced wind, she stowed her hat safely before the smaller guard introduced himself. “Name’s Splashdown, this ‘un’s Thunderer. Sorry about making you do that, m’lady, but we have our reasons. Was hoping we might have a sit down before going to see Luna. There’s a few thing I want to say, if you don’t mind us hurrying a little?”

Everything else aside, ‘m’lady’ was something she might get used to. “Well, I suppose I don’t mind …as long as you think it’s safe?”

“On my word. I haven’t lost one yet!” With that, the chariot dove, and Rarity concentrated very hard on not screaming.

( II )

Why was it even a surprise that, after the events of the last two days, her arrival in Canterlot should be nothing like what she’d imagined. Rather than a picturesque descent into the brilliant spires of Equestria’s capital, the chariot came in low and landed in a dreary dock area. Rarity’s day with Princess Luna had effectively started by sneaking in the back door.

The guards pulled the chariot towards a small bistro on the corner of the loading area—Rarity’s heart-rate finally settled now they were on solid ground, but she still jumped off the instant it finally stopped. Her legs quivered as they adjusted back to dependable, solid cobblestones, and she noticed Thunderer’s eyes watching her again. She cringed slightly and tried to smile, earning a smirk from the powerful stallion.

“Over here,” Splashdown said, trotting away from the chariot’s harness and towards a table outside the bistro. “Might want to grab anything you need out of your bag.”

She retrieved a brush and mirror before Thunderer towed the chariot away to a more convenient parking spot. Approaching the table, Rarity saw Splashdown smile at somepony inside. “I trust you won’t mind if I take a moment to make myself presentable?” she said, starting to check her face over in the mirror.

“Fine by me, long as you don’t mind me talking while you do it.”

Rarity snuck a quick glance at the guard, who was still looking away. He sounded a little younger now that he wasn’t shouting, and his casual manner carried a disarming quality to it. On her other side, Thunderer was walking back, his eyes sweeping his surroundings like searchlights. He caught her staring at him and returned the same smirk as before.

“I’m sorry,” she said after another false smile. “You fine stallions aren’t anything like I was expecting. I’m afraid I’m not making a very good impression.”

Splashdown glanced across as Thunderer closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “Sorry about the reception, Lady Rarity, but—”

“Oh!” The word came out as little more than a squeak, and she blushed, fluttering her eyelashes. “I must say, there’s really no need to call me that. Although, feel free if you really want to.”

The pegasus tilted his head slightly. “Ah. Glad we have this time to chat. You are to be Princess Luna’s lady in waiting for the day.”

“I…”

While Rarity was frozen stiff, a green unicorn in a simple waitress’s uniform walked out to the table with a tray hovering next to her, and she set three drinks on the table. Only when she turned away again did Rarity snap out of her trance.

“I’m… What did you just say?”

“Luna’s lady in waiting,” Splashdown repeated. “Let me start from the beginning. Princess Celestia assigned our Luna two dozen of her elite guards when she returned to Canterlot, but Luna didn’t much like the arrangement. All we did was guard her quarters, because we never knew where she was, until a few of us managed to convince her to make more use of us. Truth is that once we started to trust each other, the whole thing got kinda personal.

“See, Luna didn’t like all the ceremonial stuff, so we had to work everything out from scratch. Years of training don’t disappear overnight, though, so it was taking a lot of effort on both sides, but that’s where you come in.”

Rarity shook herself out of her surprise. “Moi? I don’t understand.”

“Not you personally—you folk from Ponyville. After Luna went there for Nightmare Night, she came back… changed. We made a lot of progress and we have a good working relationship now, which means we’re not thrilled if somepony wants to come in and mess with it. Might seem strange to an outsider, but while we keep a certain distance because we’re her guards, it doesn’t mean that she’s not very special to us. Very special.”

Rarity cast her mind back to Luna’s fumbling over asking her how she was feeling. With the clarity of hindsight, those softer moments did carry a certain endearing vulnerability. As Splashdown continued, she returned to brushing her mane.

“I did my homework, so I know you’re one of the Elements of Harmony, but that doesn’t really tell me anything. Still, my gut says she’s happier to have you here than she’s letting on. If you’re really here for Luna, we’ll help you every way we can. We’ll be your bodyguards, and get you whatever you need. If not...”

Rarity ceased brushing and stared at Splashdown. “I’m really not sure what to say. I’ve never had bodyguards before.”

“Then I suggest you enjoy it while it lasts, Lady Rarity.” The stallion picked up the cup in front of him, raised it high in his hooves and raised his voice to match. “For Luna!”

For Luna!” Thunderer echoed in powerful bass-tones.

Both stallions necked their drinks and slammed their cups back down in unison. Rarity inspected her own beverage as Thunderer left the table: it was a hot chocolate with a single marshmallow floating in it. She started to sip at it, giving herself time to think.

“One more thing, if I may,” Splashdown said. “We’re fine talking like this when we’re alone of off-duty, but most of the time we’ll be like the other guards, except in better colours and scowlier. More scowly.” The stallion frowned. “Never mind, you’ll understand quickly enough.”

Again, Rarity could only stare at the pegasus, blinking occasionally.

“Sorry if this is a bit much to take in. For what it’s worth, Thunderer trusts you, and that’s good enough for me.”

“He does? How do you know? He didn’t even say anything.”

“Exactly.”

( II )

Sonata dropped the pile of books onto the desk. She had acquired a special talent for judging exactly the correct height, based on the quantity and weight of books, for maximum effect. Ponies didn’t tend to fall asleep in her classes twice.

Twilight sprang up from her slumber, overbalanced immediately, and crashed to the floor, legs flailing ineffectually.

You have drooled all over this library book!” she shouted before Twilight could catch a breath. She’d ventured onto the private study area of the royal library in search of some of the rarest books Princess Celestia’s collection had to offer. There, she’d found Twilight slumped sideways and snoring on top of a book.

Twilight was still reeling as a book floated up beside the bespectacled unicorn’s face, with one corner of its visible page damp with saliva.

“Do you see what you have done, Miss Sparkle? You have desecrated a thousand-year-old book, that’s what! You should be ashamed of yourself, you impudent little foal! I warned Celestia that you would go soft after you were taken out of the school proper. Honestly, there’s no respect in your generation whatsoever.”

“Ohmygosh! I’m sorry, I didn’t mean—”

“Weren’t you supposed to meet with your princess an hour ago in the main hall? You’re late.”

Sonata watched her flustered ex-student cringe, waiting for the exact moment to cut her off again. “Late!” she said, raising a hoof towards the door, “Go, before your mistress thinks you have forgotten her!” Sonata used her most baleful stare to reinforce the rising fear in Twilight’s eyes.

Oh no, she thought to herself in a mockery of Twilight’s voice. My beloved princess is going to think I’m such a bad student and stop giving me completely unreasonable and preferential treatment. I might actually have to do some real studying for once. Woe is me!

She maintained a contemptuous sneer until her ex-student broke from her panicked decision-making and bolted for the door.

“Silly little foal.” The blotted ink on the page vanished as she turned the book around. “Can’t even spot a simple illusion spell. How pathetic.”

She scanned the page briefly, then closed the book and read the title: Wyld Magic. Frowning, she ran a hoof down the pile of books on the table:

Channeling the Ether

Encyclopaedia of Forbidden Magics

Magical Abominations Throughout History

Clairvoyants, Psychics and Astral Projection

Natural Magic in Equestria: From Clouds to Cutie Marks

“Interesting. Perhaps you might actually do me some good after all. I’m sure my research team will be delighted to know what Celestia’s favourite student has been reading.” Adding the book Wyld Magic to the others, Sonata levitated the whole pile and waltzed out of the study room.

( II )

Some things she wished she didn’t understand. Walking through the city streets, Rarity had been mulling over Splashdown’s speech. The more she paid attention to the ponies around them, the more she noticed that many of the looks directed at her and her new bodyguard were rather… unsavoury.

Fillies and colts seemed oblivious to it, their reactions ranging from fearful curiosity to excitement and awe. Many older ponies, however, averted their eyes, whispered conspiratorially to each other, or just stared with a notable lack of civility or decorum. True to his warning, Splashdown scowled back, his head frequently held low to give him a more predatory stature.

Moving from the central plaza into the castle courtyard, the effect became more pronounced. Ponies of every kind and class made way for them as if they carried the banner of Nightmare Moon herself.

She tilted her nose into the air and lifted her knees high. If the guard even noticed, he said nothing, but she was proud to walk alongside Luna’s own as they passed into the castle proper.

Two huge staircases dominated the inside of the entrance hall. Each curved lazily, starting near the centre of the enormous chamber and meeting the walls at either end of a grand balcony above. Two long tapestries hung from that balcony, one in Luna’s colours and one in Celestia’s; for a few seconds she stared at their wondrous intricacy, until she noticed Splashdown was halfway up the left staircase. She hopped on the spot once and pranced up alongside the guard—her guard. Her eyes shone brightly, and her curled mane and tail bobbed along with her exaggerated gait.

“Finally got excited then?” Splashdown said.

Rarity’s reply came with an absurdly wide smile. “Oh, yes, yes, yes! There is so much to be excited about, after all! I’ve just walked into Canterlot Castle, guarded by a very nice royal guard, to spend the day with Prin-cess Luuu-naaa!

“Good. I was starting to think I might have overdone my introduction. Come on.”

Instead of turning right to move along the balcony, Splashdown went left, passing a typically statuesque castle guard and disappearing through an ornate side-door.

Behind it, the walls and floor were plain stone—probably a staff-only area. She took a last look back at the main hall as the door closed behind them.

“So, where exactly are we going?”

Splashdown took several paces forwards, into the corridor that ran past the entranceway they had come through. “Up,” he said, pointing to an archway.

Inside, Rarity saw the curved wall of one of the castle’s internal spires. Around it, a spiral staircase went up and down from the landing, barely two ponies width between the inner and outer walls. She followed Splashdown to another landing on the opposite side of the spire that opened into a small alcove.

“You are relieved, Seeker,” Splashdown said. “Please inform Luna that Lady Rarity has arrived.”

Another pegasus in Luna’s colours stepped out into the stairwell, similar in physique to Splashdown but obviously more handsome. From the way he eyed her up as he brushed past her on the confined staircase, he probably knew it, too.

“You’re room, m’lady.” Splashdown waved a hoof towards a heavy, wooden door.

“Why thank you, good sir.” Stepping through the alcove, which was exactly the right size to allow two armoured stallions to stand guard, Rarity moved into the sparsely appointed chamber beyond. It lacked in the sumptuous splendour of the guest towers, but the furnishings were not without their own sense of grandeur. A four-poster bed, bespoke floor-to-ceiling wardrobe, and a fully accessorised vanity desk were complemented by a large, free-standing vertical mirror that reflected the sunlight streaming in through the window.

However, none of these things caught her attention like the dress-pony below the window did. On it, hung a dress in Luna’s colours with a choker that carried the same crescent moon that the princess’s own gorget did. The four drapes that made up the dress hung off the shoulders and hips in three curved tiers, with the gaps in between cut for a neck, tail, and a pegasus’s wings. The middle tier was lilac, like the guard’s armour, and ruffled like a ball gown, while the rest was night-blue and studded with tiny diamonds that sparkled like stars.

The door clicked shut behind her. Shaken from her bedazzlement, she moved closer and examine the dress in detail.

Is this… for me? For Luna’s lady in waiting? Why does that bother me?

The stitching was all but invisible, the cuts perfect, and the fabric of unquestionable quality, yet Rarity still found herself looking for some kind of imperfection. She huffed, hummed, and frowned as she circled the outfit—something about it just wasn’t right.

She was studying the lacquered brace that pinched the ensemble together along the spine, when there was a loud knock on the door with a notably military timing to it.

“Come in!”

Splashdown pushed the door open and marched into the room. “Lady Rarity. Princess Luna has arrived.”

The princess walked quietly in behind him, her movements graceful and her smile warm. She was very different from the Princess of the Night that had visited Rarity’s bedroom. With a polite nod, she dismissed Splashdown, who returned her smile before pacing sedately back through the doorway.

“Good morning,” Luna said softly. “I trust my guards have graced you with their usual warnings? I hope they were not too unsettling.”

“Oh no, not at all. Although, I do think they might have enjoyed trying to scare a little too much.”

“Is that so? Perhaps I should have them disciplined.”

No! That’s not what I meant at all! They’ve been very kind, and they’re really very loyal.” Luna didn’t flinch. “You’re... having a little jest at my expense, aren’t you?”

There was no mischievous grin this time. The silence stretched out uncomfortably, until Luna said loudly, “Did you hear that?”

Splashdown’s muffled voice drifted through the crack in the door. “I did indeed, your majesty.” Now Luna’s mouth curved into the wicked smile Rarity had been looking for.

“That’s… that’s still so unfair!”

Ignoring her protest, Luna stepped toward the dress-pony. “What do you think of it?”

The door clicked shut and Rarity took a deep breath to calm herself. Being teased by a princess didn’t exactly fit with her ideas about proper royal etiquette. “This fabric is of exceptional quality,” she began, resuming her previous examination of the dress. “And this stitching is absolutely sublime.”

“But?”

Rarity took a long look into Luna’s eyes before forming her answer. “Well, the front drop is too long, which means all the lines are out of place. The decoration of the lower skirt doesn’t feel consistent with the overall intention of elegant formalwear, and I’d have to know who it was designed for otherwise I can’t say if the gap between the front and rear hang really works. Overall, it’s just missing… something.” She gave an insincere smile. Was Luna looking for a particular answer as she had the night before?

The princess lifted a jewellery box off the wooden dresser and floated it to her. “Would this be an adequate something?

Rarity gasped as the box flipped open; inside was a silver tiara and necklace, each centred with a bright blue sapphire surrounded by darkening gems leading to an onyx at each end. Her face lit up with the wash of glittering light that reflected off the highly polished gems and a grin as wide as her muzzle.

In her excitement, she was almost singing as she spoke. “These are gorgeous! The purity of these blues! The perfection of the colour matching. I’ve never seen such variety! May I try them? Oh, pleeeeeeease say I can try them?”

The box snapped shut. “All of it, or none of it.” Luna’s eyes narrowed as she gestured towards the dress.

“You’re... you’re toying with me again, aren’t you?”

“Yes.”

Rarity held Luna’s hard stare for several seconds. She narrowed her own eyes at first, but the intense smile crept back onto her face. “All of it then!” she said, breaking into a cheesy grin.

She was already hopping eagerly from one hoof to the other when Luna re-opened the box. Rarity lifted the ensemble from the dress pony and dressed herself with dazzling speed. Luna scrutinised her as she worked, and when the garment was assembled, the necklace and tiara floated into place under the princess’s guidance.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” Rarity cried, stepping into the centre of the room to look at herself in the mirror.

Luna slid onto the bed and dangled her hooves off the end of the mattress, watching Rarity admire herself. “Splashdown!” she called out, wrenching the door open. “Your opinion is required!”

Rarity turned to the doorway to see the pegasus’s head poking through. Fluttering her eyelashes, she posed with one hoof raised.

“Permission to decline on the grounds that I may incriminate myself, Princess?” he said.

“Ha! Well said, my loyal subject. Permission granted. You are dismissed.” Luna waved him off with a hoof as she closed the door again.

“That was mean,” said Rarity, smirking.

“’Tis true! Now that we have had our fun, I have a question to ask of you.”

“Oh, of course, Princess.”

When the question didn’t come at once, she turned to face Luna. All trace of excitement had vanished and the princess stared at her, as if seeing into her.

“Why are we here, you and I? You had a very unpleasant experience which I was uniquely suited, and very grateful, to help with. I believe I was able to grant you what you were seeking, for your magic is surely restored this morning. Yet, you were holding something back, and I hoped you might share your reasons, if the question is not too personal?”

It is.

Rarity hadn’t even noticed the lack of nausea when she used her magic. Luna had certainly healed and restored her.

It’s still too personal.

Her mind began to cloud, questions and images flashing through and disappearing too quickly to comprehend until one stuck, and refused to be dismissed.

Instead of helping your friends, you hurt them. You needed them, instead.

“I’m, not sure I know what to say…” Rarity said quietly. “I hadn’t seen you since we banished Nightmare Moon. I suppose I was a little jealous that I didn’t meet you on Nightmare Night with my friends, and there has so much gossip about you since that Summer Sun Festival. It was…”

My chance to feel special again.

Luna’s face regained a little of its warmth as a moment of silence passed between them. “Thank you,” she said when the silence stretched too far. “It is no small thing to speak from the heart, and perhaps I, too, am uncertain as to why I agreed to your request in such haste. May I return your trust with my own?”

My trust? But... but I lied...

“If you recall, Rarity, I said it was good to be useful again.”

No, you said it was good to feel useful. I remember it vividly.

“That must seem strange to you, but as soon as my sister received Twilight Sparkle’s missive about Stormcloud, it brought back many difficult memories.”

She has that distant and distracted look again.

“It is true what you say: there is a great deal of gossip. There are still many who see only Nightmare Moon when they look upon me, and others who see only Celestia’s poor little sister.”

I know. I saw how they looked at Splashdown. They didn’t see the nightmare shattered before their own eyes. They didn’t see how overjoyed you were to be free.

“For one thousand years, Equestria has prospered in harmony under my sister’s rule. And rightly so, for she is wise and graceful beyond even my understanding. Never in all my memory has she hesitated to do what is right, regardless of the cost. Even banishing her own sister to the moon.”

Why are you telling me this?

“Stormcloud reminds me of a time before that. He reminds me of the mistakes I made, and I find myself wondering how I will avoid making them again. Once I was jealous of my sister, and now she is more popular than ever while I have faded from memory.”

I shouldn’t be hearing this!

Luna paused. “I am sorry, you do not look comfortable with this. It is unfair of me to burden you so.”

“Oh, no, not at all,” Rarity replied, her voice a little more lively than before. “I mean, yes, I’m not sure why you feel you can share this with me, but... I like it. You do still love your sis—I mean, Princess Celestia—don’t you?”

“With all my heart, until all the stars in the night sky have burned to naught but dust. Do you believe that love alone is enough?”

“Why yes, of course.” Even as the words left her mouth, her mind filled with images of friends and family, and the strife she had experienced with them. She thought of her quarrels with Applejack and Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and even her sister, Sweetie Bell. She loved them all dearly, and yet while it was always enough to see them through in the end, it didn’t stop the journey being painfully difficult.

Pinkie Pie’s face, eyes wide in fear and shame, refused to fade. That shame should be mine, Rarity thought to herself. Fixating on her reflection, she spoke quietly again. “No, I suppose not.”

Again, Luna studied the unicorn’s reactions in detail, but this time she smiled. “I am not sure, but I believe that is what I needed to hear. I do not know what it is that you hide, nor do I expect you to have answers, but in your face, I see that you understand. Perhaps that is enough.”

Rarity turned back to see Luna’s eyes were closed. She looked peaceful, her head tilted down and her breaths slow and controlled.

Did it feel good to say those things? I want to tell you how I’m feeling, but…

“In every way that I can imagine to judge, my beloved sister is perfect. Wilful, wise, and unconditionally loving. I know that she would forgive me anything and love me no matter what, so I fear it is I who is not ready to accept that forgiveness. I am not sure I know how to find worth in the forgiveness of one whom I cannot conceive is capable of anything less. Does that even make sense?”

“No,” Rarity said, her ears folding down briefly. “I’m so sorry, Princess. I’m afraid I don’t understand.”

Opening her eyes again, Luna beamed a broad smile. “Then I thank you for your candour once again. I feel sure that I will work it out, but for now, it is heartening to share it. I hope it was not unreasonable to share it with you.”

Returning to her regal tones, she said, “I am also sure that is quite enough of that for one day. Do you truly still wish to spend the day at my side?”

Rarity felt a little of her previous excitement return, too. “I do, Princess Luna.”

Stepping off the bed, Luna raised herself to full height. “Then I officially pronounce you Lady Rarity of Ponyville, my lady in waiting until further notice. Let no door except my sister’s bar your passage. My guards are at your disposal and Splashdown shall personally accompany you wherever you go unless you command otherwise.”

Rarity grin returned in force. “I’m still not sure I know what I’ve done to deserve this but, thank you! Really, if there is anything I can do for you—well, I’m sure there’s nothing a simple lady can offer—but if there is—”

“No,” Luna said. “I am content simply to share my day with a pony other than my guards. They are exceptional stallions, one and all, but they’re still just stallions.

Rarity turned back to her image in the mirror and stared at her outfit. How did she end up here, talking to Princess Luna like she might gossip with Fluttershy at the spa? Was there still some chance this may all turn out to be a dream?

“So, this dress is for me?”

Luna gave the unicorn a playful scowl, followed her wicked smile. “Only for today, Lady Rarity. You will need to be dressed appropriately for our many formal engagements. I wish I had more delightful things in store for you, but I am afraid that Stormcloud’s return is a priority for my sister and I.”

You’ve forgotten about him entirely, haven’t you Rarity. Too busy playing princess to remember what’s going on around you.

Luna moved towards the door. “I am already late for my first meeting, but please do not rush yourself, Lady Rarity.” She opened the door with the glow of her magic and strode out. “Thunderer, with me.”

Rarity’s interest piqued at the near-silent guard’s name, but it’s was Splashdown’s head that poked through the door, delivering the bag that Thunderer had brought up. She realised how much she must still have been smiling when the guard mimicked it for her as he backed out of the room again. In the mirror, her cheeks reddened.

Whatever is wrong with you today, Rarity? Princess Luna seems happy to have you here, how much more attention can you possibly want?

Her smile diminished as Pinkie’s face flashed through her mind. Regardless of what had come before, she was here with a princess and she was determined to make the most of it. Perhaps she might even find a little of Luna’s strength say what she really wanted to say. Pulling the brush from her bag, she began perfecting her mane while she pondered.

I lied to you, and I couldn’t understand what you were trying to say, but you trusted me anyway.

She stopped mid-stroke, thinking of Splashdown’s earlier explanation. He said that both sides had begun to trust each other—the kind of trust that Luna had put in her by opening up as she had. Now she understood why he’d talked of how special Luna was to them. If she bantered with them so freely, it seemed fair to assume that they might feel the same trust that Rarity did now.

I don’t deserve to be here, but I’ll do anything I can for you, Princess. I won’t fail you like… I won’t fail you.

( II )

Fluttershy:

She smiled at passers-by from behind the bag of cakes gripped in her mouth. She’d bought them for Rarity, only to find her friend wasn’t home.

She couldn’t help but worry, and discovering from neighbours that some oddly coloured ponies had whisked her away in a chariot did little to settle her fears. It meant that she was at least awake and on her own hooves, but what else could it mean? The urgency of leaving so quickly did not sit well with her, and she’d already been doing plenty of worrying. She’d worried when her friends found out about her dreams, and worried when Applejack started questioning her own judgement. She worried when Pinkie Pie dropped by and delivered a distressingly accurate appraisal of how she worried that she put everypony in danger, and now she worried that all her friends would be worrying about her, too.

She worried that Spike would also be feeling the weight of Rarity’s disappearance. Fluttershy had a house and garden full of her animal friends to worry with, but Twilight had gone to Canterlot and Spike would be on his own.

None of that even touched on her worries about Stormcloud. She alone had gotten a personal taste for the misery and pain he suffered, and knowing he was alone again nagged at her. She trusted that Princess Celestia would find a way to make things right, but she worried anyway.

Arriving at the library, she knocked three times. Just as she had suspected, the little dragon opening the door was slouched and grumpy, but he brightened the moment he laid eyes on her.

“Good morning, Fluttershy! What can I do for ya?”

She put the bag down on the doorstep. “Hello Spike. I was just wondering, do you know where Rarity went this morning? Pinkie said you were staying with her, and nopony else seems to know.”

Spike slouched again. “No, I don’t know.” He stomped over to a bookshelf and grabbed Rarity’s note before waving it in front of Fluttershy. “That’s it. That’s all I know.” Slapping the note back down, he said, “At least Twilight would have said goodbye.”

Fluttershy could see that Spike was in the process of re-filing all of the books, and that some of the stacks were clearly too high for him. “Spike, would you mind if I cleaned the place up a bit for Twilight? Umm, not that I’m saying it needs it, or that you’re not doing it, or—well, would you mind?”

The dragon perked up immediately. “Sure, I can always use the help. Sorry for being so grouchy, I’m just worried.”

“Sometimes it’s nice to have somepony to worry with.” She picked up the cake bag and stepped inside, closing the door and setting them down on an empty shelf. “Lemon cake?”

“Isn’t that one of Rarity’s favourites? I think she normally has that with one of her exotic teas, right?”

Fluttershy beamed and nodded. Being able to share her treats with someone was wonderful, but being able to worry about Spike without him worrying back was better.

“Great!” said Spike, “I’ll go and put the kettle on.”