• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 2,546 Views, 78 Comments

Shades of Grey - Inquisitor M



Luna and Rarity, with the help of a few of Celestia's elite guards, must fight to make peace with themselves before they can make peace with the past, and Rarity must learn to overcome the harshest enemy she has ever faced: Herself.

  • ...
9
 78
 2,546

3. Passed into Present

3. Passed into Present

Rarity plodded along, acutely aware of the concentration it took just to keep pace with her friends, but if she dared mention it, they’d only worry about her further.

It hadn’t taken long to realise that Rainbow Dash’s memories were vanishing almost as fast as Pinkie’s had, but luckily, Dash seemed content to follow in a quiet stupor. Pinkie, on the other hoof, had tried to ‘play’ with Twilight’s light ball a dozen times already. Each time, she earned a reprimand from Applejack and was now endlessly asking why she was tethered to her with a rope.

Twilight muttered to herself constantly, probably trying to wrench some answers out of only half a question. It was hardly fair to bear her ill will for it, but Rarity found the incessant drone a drain on her already-taxed focus. Whatever she had felt before was pressing down on her mind, constraining it like dried mud in a pony’s coat—except that this feeling could not be scratched off.

She didn’t even notice when the tunnel widened into a cavern until Fluttershy cried out ‘It’s him!’ and leapt forwards.

The feeling in here was worse than ever. She halted, panting slightly; she could hear Fluttershy pacing hurriedly around on the smooth stone floor, but looking up was too much effort to bear. Avoiding magic had kept the nausea at bay, but now it returned in overwhelming force.

The sounds around her became muffled, and thinking clearly, almost impossible.

( I )

“Him?” Applejack said as Fluttershy continued pacing around a thick, obsidian column in the centre of the cavern. “How in Equestria do ya know it’s a him? And how can a ‘him’ be inside a big rock?”

“I don’t know! I just... know! Twilight, you have to help him!”

“Fluttershy,” Twilight replied, “I don’t know what you expect me to do. I don’t know any spells for rescuing ponies from pillars. I don’t know if I should be rescuing him, or if he’s even a pony at all!”

“He is a pony. And he’s frightened, and sad, and in pain.”

Eyeing Fluttershy with a severe frown, Applejack flinched when Pinkie tapped her on the shoulder.

“You can untie me now,” Pinkie said. “I can remember everything. Also, I think Rarity might be feeling just a teeny-tiny bit worse.”

Rarity wheezed, struggling for breath, and her head hung low, eyes tight-shut in a pained grimace. “Hold on Rarity!” Applejack shouted, tugging on the knot that would release the rope tying her to Pinkie.

She dashed towards the entrance as the rope came free; Rarity was swaying as if she might fall again at any moment. “Come on, girl, lean on me. Ya know I’m good for it.” She threw off her saddlebags and stood shoulder-to-shoulder.

“Hey Twi—” she shouted, but the unicorn’s attention was elsewhere. “Twi! Ah know you’re busy thinkin’, but we need to, y’ know, do something.”

Still there was no light of recognition. “Darn it, Twi, Ah need you!” Applejack looked across at the other ponies to see Fluttershy scraping at the pillar with her hooves, and Rainbow Dash backed up against a wall, having traded a quiet stupor for wide-eyed shock.

“Why is this pillar staring at me?” Pinkie asked, her head cocked quizzically to one side.

Applejack stared at the pillar. White glowing eyes stared back—eyes that had no right to be visible from inside the obsidian pillar.

Rarity screamed.

“The ghost!” she cried when the ear-piercing screech stopped.

Applejack looked at Rarity, but Rarity stared at Twilight, not the pillar. “Ah don’t see nothin’!” she said, following the unicorn’s gaze to see Twilight standing still, just as dazed and unresponsive as before.

Twilight’s horn suddenly burst into multi-coloured light and bathed the walls in chaotic, rippling patterns. It didn’t look like any spell Applejack had ever seen; it looked more like a rainbow after a day in the fruit-crusher. She saw Twilight mutter something too quiet to hear as her eyes drifted shut. When they opened again, they glowed, just as the ghostly eyes in the pillar did, and the obsidian column promptly burst into the same flurry of colour that was splashing against the walls.

In just a second, its intensity grew into a saturating brilliance that washed out all colour except a white that burned even closed eyes.

Again, Rarity shrieked as the deluge of light shattered into a million tiny shards. The frantic dance of rainbow colours was eerily silent; each fragment burned itself out like the last flicker of a flame. In no more than a single breath, all light vanished, and darkness reigned uncontested.

Rarity collapsed to the ground. Her dwindling wail became nothing but a whimper.

“Rarity!” Applejack screamed into the darkness. On her other side, Twilight gave a similarly weak groan. “Ah think Twilight’s down too! Can somepony get to her?”

“I can!” Dash said, followed by a crash and a scream from Fluttershy.

“I saw a unicorn!” Pinkie cried in shrill excitement, but no other pony seemed to be in a fit state to pay her any mind.

Icky,” Rarity whined between sobbing and mewling as Applejack knelt close.

“Ah know, hun. Ah’m right here, and Ah ain’t goin’ nowhere.” Even as she said it, she looked across to where Twilight ought to be, the darkness concealing the fear and doubt on her face.

( I )

Twilight’s head felt like a herd of buffalo were running through it. She groaned at the strain of opening an eye, only to find there was nothing to see. Somewhere on her right she could hear Rarity’s quiet whimpering, and further away, Fluttershy’s rapid and shallow breathing. Applejack said something she understood to be theoretically intelligible, but her brain wasn’t quite up to putting the words together yet.

In the darkness, something began to glow. Twilight struggled to roll upright as some semblance of rational thought asserted itself. The light was from a unicorn’s horn, notably a stallion’s and silvery-white in hue. It grew slowly brighter, first illuminating the rest of the stallion’s head as he lay on the ground and then the vague outline of Pinkie as she stood over him.

A pink hoof stretched towards him, but recoiled when he spasmed with a throaty cough.

“I would not do that if I were you,” the grey stallion said. The glow continued to brighten until the whites of Pinkie’s inquisitive eyes were fully visible, staring down at him.

“Why?”

Twilight watched carefully, noting also that the horn was the same black as his mane, rather than the grey of his coat. His eye flicked open and stared straight at Pinkie.

When he spoke, his voice was dry and cracked, yet even and controlled. “I would not want you to get hurt. That tends to happen a lot.”

His head still lay to one side, unmoving, and she was certain that, as the one visible eye looked around, it fixed on her for a moment in spite of the darkness. “Now, if I might be so bold as to ask a question, how long have I been imprisoned?”

“Ah think,” Applejack said from somewhere near Rarity, “we deserve to ask a few of our own questions first. Like, what in tarnation is this place, and why were you imprisoned at all?”

By now, Twilight could make out her own hooves in front of her and the locations of her friends. The stallion blew out a heavy breath and cleared his throat.

“Point conceded. Firstly, I must warn you that, while the unsealing process was less disorienting than I expected, there are other... mitigating factors that make this difficult. I apologise in advance if I lose my train of thought, but there are things I need to explain and things you need to do. Unfortunately, there is little time for either.”

Pushing himself slowly to his hooves, his horn flared brightly and the walls themselves lit up, illuminating the whole, circular room far better than Twilight’s orb had.

Twilight looked around to confirm her suspicions about where her other friends were: Applejack lay upright next to an incapacitated Rarity. Fluttershy cowered against a wall, still breathing quickly. Rainbow Dash lay upside-down on the floor, staring at the stallion while Pinkie leaned in close to him with her casual disregard for personal space.

The new pony backed away from Pinkie. His black mane and tail were both short and shot through with flecks of silver, and fully upright he was a little taller than any of the mares.

“That’s better. I... am Stormcloud, and the answer to both of your questions is the same. However, I have an apology to make to—”

Yes!” Twilight immediately regretted raising her voice, a spasm of pain shooting through her head. “You could start by explaining just what you did to me.” Refocusing on the stallion’s face, she saw the first sign of emotion in him as his eyes looked downward.

“Yes, of course. I do not want to waste too much time on my reasons, but I am afraid I have wronged both you and this pegasus. I assume, given her actions upon entering this place, that she is the Element of Kindness?”

Fluttershy froze for a moment, then ran around the walls to vanish behind Twilight. “Umm, yes,” she said quietly, peeking out over Twilight’s mane.

“I have used very dark magic on you. A compulsion spell, intended to bring the bearer of the Element of Kindness here. Something went badly wrong with my incarceration and I was… frankly, I was terrified. This prison was never meant to cause harm, but it turned from a pleasant dream to a harrowing nightmare. When I sensed the Elements of Harmony in use, I reached out to the Element of Kindness; I did not, I admit, expect you.”

“The Elements of Harmony?” Twilight said. “But that was ages ago!”

“Time became very distorted in my long sleep, so I have no answer for you. I am not even sure I expected it to work. I was desperate.” Stormcloud bowed low before Fluttershy as he finished, “...and I apologise.”

Twilight felt Fluttershy raise herself up to reply, but instead, Pinkie gasped and cried out.

“He’s got no cutie mark!”

Stormcloud widened his stance and bared his teeth. “And just what does that have to you with you?

Pinkie backed up in the face of the stallion’s outburst, and Dash flipped herself onto her hooves. She stood next to Pinkie, spreading her wings assertively and fixing Stormcloud with a steely glare.

Twilight watched the same flash of emotion cross Stormcloud’s face as before, his posture wilting as the anger vanished.

“I am sorry,” he said. “That is still something of a sore issue.”

Again, Twilight felt Fluttershy raise herself.

“Were you really feeling all those things I dreamt?”

Stormcloud looked the pegasus in the eye, but his demeanour remained deferential. “Yes. It was real.”

“Then... then I forgive you.”

“Well I don’t!” Twilight said. “You said you cast the spell on the Element of Kindness, so how come I got the dreams as well? And just how do you know so much about the Elements of Harmony anyway?”

Stormcloud’s head rose, his eyes narrowing as he studied her. “You felt the effects too? I do not—wait, perhaps, yes. My magic is barely controlled, at best. That is why I was imprisoned here. Even when I could control it, I had little skill. Considering your obvious magical capabilities, it is possible that you just felt the ripples of the spell. It should not be possible at that range, but that is my guess.

“Let me elaborate. My ‘imprisonment’ was a form of stasis, meant to hide me until I could be dealt with safely. I was told I would not be aware of time passing, but I was. It was like a dream, pleasant and tranquil. While in the dream, I had far more control over my power than I had before—or I have now. I learned to perceive events outside my mountain home, and eventually much of Equestria, though I cannot tell you how long that took to learn. It could have been months, or centuries.

“I cannot tell you what happened. I only know that my dream turned into a nightmare. I felt the weight of time and loneliness, and the chill of being disconnected from my body. The resulting panic overwhelmed me.”

He looked at Twilight, but couldn’t hold eye contact. “Which brings me to what I did do to you, Twilight Sparkle. I did not have a plan. I was acting on instinct, desiring only to escape my entombment. When you arrived with her—”

“You what?” Rainbow Dash edged forwards, wings still fully spread, and Stormcloud backed away.

“Wait! Do not come near me!”

Grinning, Dash pressed her perceived advantage. “Come on! What did you do, huh? What did—”

She had barely gotten to within a hoof’s reach of Stormcloud. The sound of fizzing magic was almost deafening in the confines of the chamber, accompanied by a flash of silver light that leapt from the unicorn’s horn. It slammed into Dash, catapulting her backwards into the wall—the heavy thud of the collision mixing with the rush of air being forcibly expelled from her chest.

Pinkie rushed over to her in a panic. “Dashie!”

“No! Why do you not listen? I cannot control this curse, so please! You must keep your distance. I do not wish to hurt anypony.”

Twilight watched the flashes of emotion come and go on Stormcloud’s face, each one covered up in the blink of an eye. Whatever was going on, he was certainly fighting to keep it from boiling over. She looked across to see Rainbow Dash shaking her head and wheezing heavily, but otherwise unhurt.

“Alright!” Twilight raised herself to her haunches. “So what did you do? And how so you know my name?”

“I touched your mind. I used you to cast the spell that freed me—used you to channel my power and break the seal on my prison. I used you without your permission. But while I could wallow in the selfishness of what I have done, I believe there are other things you—”

He stopped abruptly, gritting his teeth as the glow around his horn grew brighter again. “...Things you need to know, and do. This... is much worse than it was before. Our time is short. You are in danger here.”

Twilight pursed her lips. “I think, maybe I understand, but why are we in danger? What’s wrong?”

“I told you my magic is out of control, but you do not understand the extent. I accidentally started to hurt ponies, and the only way I could avoid that was to hide. Eventually, I was sealed in this prison as an act of mercy. I am not sure how long ago that was, but...” Stormcloud’s tone lowered as he finished the sentence slowly, “if what I have seen in your mind is correct, it has been well over one thousand years.”

“Twilight.” Applejack’s voice was soft, but firm. “Rarity’s gettin’ worse. We have to get her outta here.”

“Alright, Stormcloud,” Twilight said, her focus renewed as Fluttershy darted over to Rarity. “So not only are you saying that you used me, but you read my mind too? Fine. I guess I can’t change that. But, if that’s true, and I’m not even convinced that it is, then you owe me an explanation: what’s happening to Rarity? And come to think of it, my friends’ memories, too.”

“Yeah!” Rainbow Dash cheered from a safe distance.

Stormcloud’s breathing was deep and laboured. “Yes I did. And yes, I think I do. Well, to one question at least, I am afraid I do not know anything about your friends’ memories. That was never a part of the design as far as I know, but I can tell you what is affecting your unicorn.

“This place is a powerful magic suppressor. That is why I was surprised you are not as severely affected as she is, and that’s why I thought you might be strong enough to free me. I was able to connect with your mind, and then release much of my magic to flood the suppression field and break the seal.

“I cannot take the pressure off your friend without catastrophic results. Believe me when I say I have no desire to harm anypony, but soon it will no longer be my choice. Things appear to be worse than before: perhaps I am simply weak, but I cannot stop the magic from trying to escape on its own, just like—”

Closing his eyes as he paused, Stormcloud let out a deep breath before he continued. “Know this: the sisters themselves created this place to contain me. If its spells fail completely, annihilating this mountain might only be the start.

“Thus, you must inform Celestia of what has happened; only she and Luna will remember the spells, and only the Elements of Harmony can reseal me if it is required—assuming that is still possible.”

Twilight shot a quick glance over to Applejack. The imploring in her friends eyes answered her question before it was asked. “Of course. Over a thousand years you said, before Princess—before Nightmare Moon. The princesses both used the Elements of Harmony back then. Now they’re ours, which means... Oh gosh, I’m not sure if—”

“You must hurry! I need help, your friend needs help, and time is running out. This place was designed to constrain me. I cannot even begin to guess how much damage it is doing to her. You, however, have the capacity to transport all of you away instantly. A formidable gift, no doubt imparted by Celestia herself.”

“That’s Princess Celestia! And no, I can barely move more than one other pony at best. I’ve never even dreamt of going that far. It’s just not possible!”

Stormcloud grimaced, his horn beginning to crackle with magic. “I have no time to argue. You are wrong. You have power and skill, but you are not experienced at using both. I, however, have an abundance of raw power. Think of me what you will, but I would force you to do it before I allowed another pony to suffer on my account. I would prefer we do it together.”

“Twilight,” Applejack said, her quiet. “Ah got no reason to trust him, but Ah do believe him. If he can help ya get Rarity to Ponyville, Ah think it’s worth a shot. Leave the rest of us behind an’ we’ll make it back on our own. Ah know Ah don’t know anythin’ about magic, an’ Ah got no right to ask this of you, but I’m askin’. For Rarity.”

“No way!” Dash leapt forwards. “Didn’t you hear how he ‘accidentally’ hurts ponies? Didn’t you see what he did to me?”

“But Dash, he didn’t do anything—” Fluttershy replied before being drowned out by the loud fizz of another arc of energy scoring its way briefly across the ceiling.

Out of time, Twilight Sparkle,” Stormcloud said, clenching his jaw. “Take my offer, or run.”

Twilight didn’t even need to look at Applejack to feel those pleading eyes burning into her. “Alright. I accept, but I’m only taking Rarity. What do you need me to do?”

“Cast your spell, and do not let such concerns as range or focus distract you. Concentrate only on your target and do not resist when I push you. Do not worry about the effects you feel now. I will flood the suppression field for you.”

Twilight lifted Rarity to her side with her magic and started the spell, her friend’s gasping breaths were all the encouragement she needed to follow through. As promised, her mind cleared and she felt her full focus returning as the pain in her head receded.

Arcs of energy lashed at the walls around Stormcloud as he backed away, releasing his pent-up magic. A few strikes reached more than halfway across the cave as if reaching toward the mares with a life of their own.

Twilight felt the surge of wild and barely-controlled magic course through her, poking into places it didn’t belong. She resisted it reflexively, but casting a look at Rarity kept that instinct in check.

“I warned you, Twilight Sparkle,” Stormcloud said, now standing tall and confident, unburdened from restraining his power. “I would force you if I had to. You know, I really am sorry.”

With that, all six mares vanished in a chaotic flash of colour.

( I )

The peace and quiet of a day without Twilight ended abruptly as a small explosion rocked the library. Assorted kitchenware leapt from hooks and racks as Spike held up a soup-pot to protect himself.

“Twilight! What in Equestria have you done now?” He immediately regretted kicking a frying pan in frustration, hopping his way to the door with his lips pressed together to avoid screaming. When he pushed the door open, his jaw dropped.

“Books,” he said quietly, looking at the distinct lack of books that remained on the shelves. “I just finished putting them all back…”

He could see four of his friends. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were on their hooves, while Fluttershy and Pinkie were slouched on their haunches, rocking unsteadily.

“What happened? Where’s Twilight?”

“Ooovuuur thhhhhere.” Pinkie waved a hoof to wave in the direction of the largest pile of books and immediately lost balance, crashing to the floor.

Spike ran across the sea of books and started digging, pausing only to discard the soup-pot he was still holding. “I’m coming, Twilight!” he cried, books flying everywhere as a copy of Sorcery’s Greatest Mistakes struck Applejack on the head.

“What the hay is goin’ on?” she complained. “Mah head already feels like it’s been bucked by Big Macintosh. Rainbow, you okay?”

“Yeah. It takes more than a dizzy spell to slow this pegasus down. I should get help, right?”

“Reckon so. Ah don’t know about Twilight, but Ah don’t think Rarity’s just gonna get up on her own.”

“I’m on it, AJ!” Dash shook herself off and pulled hard on the door to sweep the impeding books out of the way. She’d barely gotten her head past the doorway before she froze.

It seemed like half of Ponyville had gathered outside. A ripple of gasps and murmurs passed through the crowd, and from somewhere towards the back, the clear voice of the Mayor rose above the noise.

“Make way please! Everypony stay calm!” she said, threading her way to the front. “Rainbow Dash, whatever is going on in there? It sounded like there was an explosion!”

“Uhh, it kinda looks like there was one, too. I need to go and get one of the Doc’s from the hospital. Something happened to Rarity and it’s kind of an emergency.”

“You will do no such thing young lady! Look at you. I dare say that Rarity is not the only pony who needs attention.”

Rainbow Dash’s head jutted forward, levelling a hard stare at the mayor; then, she took a good look at herself. On her chest was a large blackened mark from where she’d approached Stormcloud, and there were tufts of singed coat and mane all over her.
While she examined herself, the mayor gestured to a golden-yellow pegasus.

“Sunburst, please head over to the infirmary at once and have them bring the emergency cart.”

“Yes, Ma’m!”

Then she pointed at a unicorn mare at the front of the crowd.

“Midnight Blue, please take Lilly and Spring Break. Find me blankets, towels and fresh water.”

As the three ponies assented, Spike’s agonised wail could be heard from inside. “Twilight! Wake up Twilight!”

Rainbow Dash spun around, but the doorway was already filled by the mayor. Fluttershy was nowhere to be seen, but the four other mares looked as singed as Rainbow Dash. Twilight had her forelegs wrapped around Spike as he clung tightly to her neck. Applejack and Pinkie Pie were clearing the last of the pile around Rarity, and were trying to make her comfortable.

Turning back to the assembled crowd, the mayor continued her orders. “Springer, see if you can find nurse Tenderheart. She’s on leave, but I think we may need her. Now, I need some volunteers please.”

A smattering of hooves rose into the air.