• Published 18th Aug 2017
  • 416 Views, 15 Comments

The Last Statue of Sombra - silvadel



This is the story of the last statue that remained of Sombra in the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
7
 15
 416

The Last Statue of Sombra

On one of the many back streets of the Crystal Empire, stood a statue. Of course, there were many statues of ponies in various places throughout the city. Some were of ponies, or even of a certain dragon, who were well known in recent memory. Others were ancient, of ponies who were once famous but mostly forgotten. This particular statue stood out, for the most part, only because it was the final remaining statue of former King Sombra.

All the other statues of the famous villain had been either wiped out by the wave of love that stopped his return, or quietly removed, and then destroyed by the crystal ponies in the time soon after.

It wasn't a particularly large statue, nor was it particularly remarkable for his pose. It did not show him actively commanding ponies, nor did it show him using his magic. It did not depict any of the great or horrible deeds that he performed during his rule. It simply depicted him in quiet contemplation.

Looking at the features of the stallion, one would think he almost seemed pony, but, if one looked even closer though, one would sense some of the cruel power of the King cast forever into the granite. It was the kind of duality that could keep historians arguing amongst themselves for quite some time after viewing the statue. It was a solemn testament to the skill of the original sculptor.

This was not, however, a day for historians to study the statue.

There were many days where this mostly forgotten back street of the Crystal Empire did not even see a single pony travel its length.

This was also not one of those days.

Standing on the plinth was a single pony. He was not a particularly notable crystal stallion. He had done his time in the mines like most of the ponies that resided in the city, and in the decade or so since Cadance had ruled, he was a simple street sweeper, charged with keeping the town clean.

Across from him was a crowd of thirty-odd ponies. The ones in the front carried picks in their mouths. The ones in the back were in constant motion, pacing, and sometimes staring at the lone pony who dared to be in their way.

The crystal stallion looked out defiantly at the crowd, and continued to stand vigil over the statue, maintaining the impasse.

The crowd parted as a single pony approached from within their ranks. The stallion recognized this pony as one of the nobility during the time of Sombra, one who had never been forced to toil in the mines, and one who owned quite a large stake in the city to this day. She was one of the richest and most powerful ponies in the city.

"Please step aside so we can put this abomination out of its misery," said the mare. "The day has been long, and our patience is waning."

"I will not," said the stallion.

"What possible reason do you have for trying to protect the image of our enslaver," asked the mare.

"I have watched as the symbols of the past have been swept aside under the chisels and picks of the present," said the stallion. "So many of the statues and monuments of the past have been wiped away. When they are all gone, how will we remember?"

"What if we simply do not want images of THAT defiling our view?" asked the mare. "I do not think you need to fear that we will forget, but we do not need it staring at us every day."

"The facts may, may be remembered," said the stallion, "but even if they are, none of the nuance will be." The stallion placed a hoof gently onto the surface of the statue. "I have always liked this particular one. It skillfully depicts what may lurk under the exterior of any pony in power, that they must be watched with vigilance or history could repeat itself, placing us back under the yoke of a monster."

The stallion started to feel relieved as he noticed a few of the ponies departing the ranks of the crowd. Even the ones holding the picks seemed to be losing their conviction.

"The statue you are protecting is an affront to ponykind," said the mare, her shrilly spoken words spurring even more ponies to leave.

"And are you not also?" said the stallion. "I worked hard in the mines during his rule, and I still remember the sting of the whip upon my back. I had nothing during that time except for myself, and I came out from under his reign with little more after. You retained your wealth and have added to it greatly. Are you sure it is not this fact that you would prefer forgotten?"

"Things were hard on me too during his rule," said the mare. "What would you have had me do? Fight him and get myself killed?"

"I would have you remember, and maybe, just maybe give back a little more to the ponies around you who were less fortunate," said the stallion. "I sincerely do not know what I would have done in your position during his reign. I certainly can not fault you for not throwing your life and well-being away, but I do not like you allowing your guilt or worse to lead you into making decisions that will hurt ponykind."

The mare looked around and found herself standing alone. She shrugged, and turned her back on the stallion, withdrawing in the same direction the crowd had done earlier without uttering a sound.

The stallion smiled, and felt a sense of pride as he watched the mare retreat. He sang a little tune to himself as he went back to his duties, and cleaned the area around the statue. When he was finished it wasn't evident that any ponies had been there at all.

-----

When he returned the next morning, the statue was gone.

Comments ( 15 )

Phew. For a second it looked like the bad guys were going to win.

Politics and ponies do not mix, unless in jest.

8374088

That makes me think of the Cold in Gardez quote... "Stories about ponies are stories about people."

At any rate, I could certainly see the crystal ponies having issues over whether to preserve or destroy statues of Sombra. It is far closer of an issue for them than any statue would have to humans. Also, pony history has always seemed to me a bit...flexible.

aw, I wanted the statue to remain.

8374122

Then he should have guarded it better. That is a problem with such things -- turn your back a moment and it is over.

8374163
true, if you want to protect something, you really have to try.

8374119

Would you have written this if it weren't for the recent Confederate statue controversy, though? Seems like you're using MLP as a mouthpiece. You're fine to do that if you want, I just find it to be poor writing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And CiG does say that, but he's also not political in his writings.

8374522
Actually the ending is the moral of the story.

You can stand up for something as much as you want, but if you ever turn your back on it for even a minute -- whoosh. It is very hard to protect something indefinitely. Unless you are willing to rebuild something(and many things really can't be), any stringent minority of the populace has veto power.

It is a miracle any public work of art survives.

(What is funny is both sides of the argument think I am for the other side from the story).

8374531

Not commenting on the moral. Just saying that you shouldn't mix pony stories with IRL politics is all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8374558

Just noting that whoever gave you the TD on your comment was not me. While I do not agree with you that real life stuff and ponies shouldn't intersect, everyone is allowed their opinion.

To remove the past is make it easier to repeat the past or bring about something even worse and in time those that push for this will themselves be the vile vestiges that must be removed for they will be obsolete

11247062

We find you OBSOLETE. Yep, I remember the twilight zone.

Login or register to comment