• Published 18th Aug 2017
  • 1,192 Views, 72 Comments

A Million Miles from Home - TooShyShy



Lyra chases vague memories of a town known as "Ponyville".

  • ...
4
 72
 1,192

Part 11: The Calm

Lyra and Marble kept away from the main roads during their journey. While both wanted to avoid civilization at all costs, Lyra had to face facts: if they were going to find out anything, they needed information. Information was unlikely to be wandering around in some dense forest.

They made camp in a secluded little wooded area several miles from the rock farm. They'd been walking all night and were in dire need of a rest.

Lyra laid out her quilt on the hard ground.

“We should travel under cover of darkness,” she said.

She thought the nearest city was their best chance. Fleur would find them within days in any small town. The general chaos of the city was enough to hide them for a few weeks or months at most.

The two mares settled upon the quilt to sleep. Lyra rested her hoof across Marble's back as they slept. While this appeared to be an act of affection, it was actually a precaution. If Marble got up for any reason, Lyra would instantly wake up.

When the sun finally sunk below the trees, Lyra was the first to awaken. She stretched for a moment, then reached over and gently shook Marble.

“Time to get going,” Lyra said.

They packed up their things and started out again.

“Where are we going?” asked Marble.

Marble had clearly been holding in that question for hours. She'd been sneaking uncertain glances at Lyra since their journey began. While Marble's loyalty to Lyra and her cause were steady, she seemed to be questioning Lyra's leadership skills.

“The city,” said Lyra.

She was well aware of how cryptic and unsatisfying the answer was, but she didn't care. It was all Lyra had.

Marble stared at her hooves.

Giving Marble a curious glance, Lyra appreciated how difficult it must be for ponies like Marble to speak up.

“And then what?” said Marble.

Lyra didn't like this line of questioning, but she submitted to it.

“Then we find a library or something,” she said. “You have a map, right? Finding a well should be easy.”

However, this particular well might not exist in a place they could reach. It might not be something they could lay their hooves on. But Lyra shoved this possibility out of her mind. She wished she didn't feel like she was chasing smoke.

“What if Fleur finds us before then?” said Marble. “What will she do to us? Why are you so scared of her?”

The questions fell out of her one after the other in a rush. Marble didn't mean to ask them, but they escaped the moment she opened her mouth. She blushed at her own boldness.

Lyra considered the questions Marble had laid before her.

“I'm not scared of Fleur,” she said. “I'm scared of who she might be working for and what they might do to me.”

She chuckled sourly.

“I used to think she was just some poor unicorn hired by the legal system to keep an eye on me,” Lyra said. “Why wouldn't I think that? I'm the crazy conspiracy theorist whose suffering from delusions. But after the thing with Moondancer, I think I woke up a little.”

Lyra tilted her head upward to look at the moon. She thought it was a beautiful night for a leisurely stroll. Lyra imagined herself trotting in the moonlight, laughing as she counted the twinkles in the sky. Lyra gave another sour chuckle at the image. It wasn't an idle creation of her brain. It was a wonderful memory from her carefree younger days.

“Fleur is part of something bigger than me,” she said. “Do you know what's the worst part of realizing that?”

Lyra stopped in her tracks, her gaze pointed at the ground. She had never meant to say those things aloud.

“The worst part is that I don't know if they're the good guys or the bad guys,” she said. “I don't know if I'm the heroine in all this. I'm on the side of truth, but what side is that?”

Lyra dug a circle into the dirt with her hoof. She dragged her hoof down the middle of the circle, cutting it in half.

“I just don't know,” she said.

Marble patted Lyra's back. She wanted to say something encouraging, but words deserted her. A thousand things were running through Lyra's head and Marble had only been given a small percentage of Lyra's thoughts. Everything else was speculation.

Lyra stepped over the circle and started forward again. Unloading hadn't made her feel better, but Lyra was powering through.


After four days of aimless and surprisingly uneventful traveling, the two mares ended up in Los Pegasus.

Years in the city had taught Lyra about chaos, but Los Pegasus was a different manner of discord. The streets were packed with carriages and carts, the sidewalks crammed with vacationing ponies. If everypony in Canterlot and Manehatten were moving at a sprint, everypony in Los Pegasus was moving at some kind of leisurely trot.

Lyra was as overwhelmed as Marble. They stood in front of a shop, awestruck at the hotels and casinos lined up before them.

“Oh my,” said Marble. “Where do we go?”

Lyra snapped out of her daze. She realized they shouldn't be in Los Pegasus. It was civilization, but Lyra doubted there were any well-stocked libraries. On the other hoof, they'd been traveling for hours and Lyra needed a rest. She was tired of sleeping on the hard ground as paranoia drilled its way into her dreams.

“There,” said Lyra.

She pointed at one of the hotels. It was a glimmering behemoth of a building. The roof was adorned with an immense plastic dragon spewing holographic fire into the sky. The massive neon sign declared it to be the Emerald Eyes Hotel.

Lyra began counting her bits. They had about enough for a one or two night stay, but they'd be hard up afterward. Lyra scowled. She doubted any of the other hotels were cheaper. But if they were going to continue their journey, they both needed a soft bed and a good sleep.

Marble and Lyra entered the Emerald Eyes Hotel.

The interior decorators had run away with the dragon theme. Everything in the colossal room—the wallpaper, the tiles, even the chandelier—bore something reminiscent of dragons. There was even a massive dragon-shaped fountain in the middle of the room.

Marble gawked as her and Lyra approached the front desk. Her shyness vanished as she openly stared at every little thing.

Lyra booked them a one-night stay. She flinched as she watched her precious bits vanish. Lyra anxiously chewed on her hoof. She recalled all the back-breaking labor she'd done to earn those bits.

If only I'd settled down in Dodge City, she thought.

Why hadn't she? Lyra had left behind a steady job, several good friends, and a simple life. What had driven her away from peace and happiness? Was she simply not used to staying in one place for long?

It's not like I have a home, Lyra thought.

She took the room key in her mouth and trotted to the elevator, Marble close behind. Lyra pressed the button for the third floor.

That was the only rational answer, wasn't it? No matter how cozy and accepted Lyra felt, she could never tie herself to one place. If Lyra stayed somewhere too long, she'd come to believe it wasn't really her home. This wasn't new. Lyra had felt this way since she was a frustrated young pony escaping her parents' oppressive household.

It's because of what I know, Lyra always told herself. If I wasn't such a hardened truth-seeker, I'd have a home like everypony else.

Lyra could feel the lie slithering into her throat. She felt it cutting off her oxygen. But she kept repeating it to herself, like some kind of demented mantra. Lyra needed to believe, even if it hurt.

The elevator arrived on the third floor and the two of them went to their room.

Marble nearly fainted. The hotel room was almost bigger than her house. The room seemed to explode with color, the tables, chairs, sofas, and beds all contrasting shades of green or red. Lyra felt as if her eyes were being assaulted, but Marble was delighted. Marble galloped over to the huge green sofa and flopped down on the soft cushions.

Lyra put down her saddlebags. She smirked at Marble's excitement. Lyra was dazzled as well, but she'd stayed in fancy hotels before. Based on her experiences, the room was mostly standard.

“Should we order room service?” said Lyra.

Marble—who thought room service only existed in books—jumped off the sofa. She saw a small old-fashioned phone on the nightstand separating the two beds. With an uncharacteristic squeal of delight, Marble galloped over to the phone and yanked the receiver from its cradle. She punched the “Room Service” button.

While Marble was babbling into the phone, Lyra quietly slipped into the bathroom.

After everything that had happened, this felt like an actual vacation. It felt normal.

Lyra didn't like it. She didn't like the idea that there could be “normal” in the midst of her adventure. There had been brief reprises, but nothing as aggressively ordinary.

The calm before the storm, she thought.

Lyra looked at herself in the bathroom mirror. Her mane was starting to grow back. If she styled it a little, Lyra would look like her old self.

No, not my old self, she realized.

For her face had subtly changed. Lyra looked somewhat older. She realized with a start that she was older. At some point, Lyra's birthday had come and gone. She'd aged a whole year and been blissfully unaware.

Hearth's Warming Eve loomed over Lyra's shoulder. Normal ponies would be spending the impending holiday finishing their gift shopping.

Lyra left the bathroom.

Marble was curled up on the sofa. She was staring in awe at the gigantic television before her. Marble had the remote in her hooves and was flipping through channels. She appeared mesmerized.

Lyra slipped out of the room, softly closing the door behind her. She hoped to be back before Marble noticed she was gone.


Los Pegasus was beautiful in the daylight, but it really came alive at night. Signs lit up. Loud music from nightclubs spilled onto the streets. The city's entire aura changed under the cover of darkness. It became a place of pure liberation and fun, inhibitions drowned in a sea of alcohol.

Under any other circumstances, Lyra would have lost herself to the city's charms. She would have trotted into some sleazy club and knocked back a few drinks. But fun wasn't what Lyra was after.

She went into one of the little shops across the street from the hotel. This modest place of business seemed to be the only one not selling cheap trinkets or mass-produced nonsense. It was the only shop with any character. The shop was appropriately named Curiosities.

The mare behind the counter smiled at Lyra.

“I sense you desire something that is one of a kind,” she said. “Perhaps it is for somepony who has been on your mind?”

Lyra realized that the mare behind the counter wasn't a pony. She couldn't help staring. Lyra had never seen a zebra before.

The zebra gestured to a display of wooden figures.

“One of these should do the trick,” she said. “Go ahead and take your pick.”

Lyra trotted over to the display. There were over a hundred wooden figures by her estimate. Most of them were ponies engaged in regular everyday tasks. There were also manticores, dragons, and various birds. Lyra marveled at the craftsmanship.

“Are these hoof-carved?” she said.

The zebra stood beside Lyra. She was smiling with unrestrained pride.

“A skill from my homeland far away,” said the zebra. “A useful way to spend a day.”

Lyra reached out and touched one of the figures. She was astonished at the level of detail. They were remarkably lifelike in appearance. It was almost uncanny.

“How much?” she said.

The zebra didn't answer immediately. She eyed Lyra with curiosity.

“I am Zecora, if you wish to know,” she said. “Remember that I am friend and never foe.”

Lyra gave Zecora a bemused look. But she brushed away the odd introduction. Her attention was again stolen by the figurines.

“How much?” Lyra repeated.

Zecora took one of the figurines from the table. This one was a timid-looking mare with a flower crown. The mare was curled up, her head bowed. There were birds perched all along her back.

“I believe this is the one you desire,” she said. “I can tell you are a pony who longs to inspire.”

Lyra smiled.

“How much do you know?” she said.

Zecora held out the figurine. Her eyes were filled with motherly kindness.

“We will meet again at a later date,” she said. “Until then, your questions must wait.”

Lyra took the figurine and examined it closer. She noticed the mare had flowers braided into her tail. The flowers were so meticulously detailed that Lyra could have identified them. But lacking any extensive knowledge of flowers, Lyra was lost.

“How much?” said Lyra again.

Zecora shook her head.

“We will talk about bits very soon,” she said. “For now you must follow the moon.”

Lyra frowned. The questions were building up inside her, but she knew she wouldn't get any answers. Lyra looked into Zecora's eyes and wondered. How much did Zecora know? Were ponies being cryptic or were they simply giving Lyra all the information they had on hoof?

Zecora lay a hoof on Lyra's head. Her touch was reassuring.

“There are many questions in your mind,” she said. “But there are answers for you to find. You understand more than you know. For now, you need to go.”

Lyra bid farewell. She rapidly left the shop, the door swinging shut behind her.

Lyra paused on the sidewalk. There was seemingly no escape from her adventure. Even in a place like Los Pegasus—a city in which nopony really knew anypony—her quest followed her. Perhaps it would follow her even after she'd completed it, looming in the background like a specter of death.

I want it to be over, Lyra thought.

Perhaps not then, but someday Lyra wanted the whole thing to be a memory. But could it ever be a mere recollection?

Lyra trotted back to the hotel. Her thoughts going at an exhausted sprint, she entered the crowded lobby. Despite her mind's discord, Lyra expertly maneuvered around several ponies. She arrived at the elevator and slipped inside seconds before the door closed. Her mind somewhere else, Lyra hit the button for the third floor.

A flare of guilt briefly shone through Lyra's thoughts. She hadn't been gone too long, but she suspected Marble might have noticed her absence. Lyra hoped Marble wasn't on the verge of panicking.

A second before the elevator doors slid closed, Lyra glimpsed somepony standing near the front desk. The pony was facing away, but Lyra could see their Cutie Mark.

Abruptly, the doors closed and the pony was gone. Lyra was left to contemplate what she had seen. There always existed the chance—albeit minuscule—that two ponies with the same Cutie Mark inhabited Equestria. Perhaps a long-lost twin or a very particular tattoo job to cover up an unwanted talent. But Lyra bet on neither of those explanations.

It made sense that Fleur would be on their trail. However, how in Celestia had she tracked them so easily?

She can't be here for us, Lyra thought.

There had to be something else in Los Pegasus that Fleur wanted. Something perhaps more important than the notebook.

The elevator arrived on the third floor.

Lyra trotted to her and Marble's room. She tried the door, but it was locked. Lyra swore to herself. Of course a fancy hotel room would invest in auto-locking doors. Annoyed, Lyra knocked on the door.

“Marble, it's me,” she said.

There were several clicking sounds, then the door swung open. Marble was balancing a plate of food on her head. Room service had apparently arrived sometime during Lyra's absence. The smell of real food was exhilarating.

“How much did you order?” said Lyra.

Lyra laughed as she stepped into the room. Her question was answered by the array of plates across one of the beds.

Marble blushed.

“I got carried away,” she said.

She clearly expected Lyra to scold her, but Lyra just laughed. Lyra was in too good a mood to get angry over Marble's excitement. She understood how Marble felt. The experience must be twice as amazing for a pony who'd lived her entire life on a rock farm.

Lyra gave Marble the wooden figurine. Marble stared at it, flabbergasted.

“What's this for?” she said.

Lyra patted Marble's head.

“Happy Hearth's Warming,” she said.

Marble's entire face glowed red with embarrassment, but she smiled in delight. Much like Lyra, Marble seemed to have forgotten that Hearth's Warming was almost upon them.

“I kind of wish I was at home,” said Marble softly.

Lyra remembered what Marble had said about Pinkie Pie and Maud visiting for the holidays. Lyra felt guilty yet again. Marble had made her own choice in the matter. However, Lyra realized that Marble would be at home if it wasn't for her.

“Do you want to go back?” said Lyra.

Marble placed the figurine on the nightstand.

“I don't know,” she said.

Lyra trotted up beside Marble. She wrapped a hoof around her and gave her an empathetic smile.

“You can always leave if you want,” she said. “This doesn't have to be your journey.”

The words seemed to make up Marble's mind. She shook her head, a look of resolution on her face. Marble looked into Lyra's eyes, her face suddenly reminding Lyra of Cloudy Quartz.

“I want to help you,” she said.

Lyra accepted that with a smile. She wasn't happy about pulling Marble away from the Pie family. Nevertheless, Lyra let it go. Another thought had achieved dominion. This thought—and the others it had sprouted—burst hastily from Lyra's mouth.

“I think we should follow Fleur,” she said.

The words were like bittersweet poison. As soon as they reached Lyra's tongue, they became an inevitable course of action. The idea had been hanging somewhere in the messy closet that was Lyra's brain.

Marble's face went unnervingly blank. She waited for Lyra's next words.

“She must know where the well is,” said Lyra. “If Fleur is deeper in this than I am, she's our best source of information. She might even lead us to Moondancer or somepony else who could help us.”

Lyra didn't appear to be addressing Marble. Her thoughts were going straight from brain to mouth.

“She might catch us,” Lyra said. “This might be what she wants. But you know what? I don't bucking care anymore.”

Lyra slammed her hoof on the bed in a sudden burst of passion.

“I'm tired of being scared of Fleur,” she said. “I'm sick of not knowing what or who she really is. If I let this chance get away, if I let Fleur become that figure in my nightmares....”

She stopped. Lyra hadn't meant to say that last part out loud. She inhaled deeply. The serenity rippled through Lyra's nerves. It was out there. Now Marble knew the full extent of it.

“The mystery I can solve right now,” she said. “The answers I can get if only I'd stop being such a coward.”

Lyra turned abruptly to the door.

“I saw Fleur going out,” she said. “Her room should be empty if she's here alone.”

It was a wild idea that depended on several unstable factors, but Lyra had good fortune to spare. She was excited. Lyra could have trotted into a manticore's cave and looked the beast dead in the eye without flinching.

“You coming?” she said.

Marble cast a longing gaze upon the uneaten food. The two of them eating, laughing, and enjoying themselves would have been the ideal outcome. It would have been a nice bit of rest early in their journey together. But Marble understood that in a way, that wasn't Lyra's idea of a vacation.

“Mm hmm,” said Marble.

All those casinos seemed prophetic. After all, gambling with fate and consequence was Lyra's idea of a good time.