• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 4,830 Views, 139 Comments

Brony Recon: To Live and Love in Equestria - Freescript the Bard



six bronies and their exploits in equestria, finding romance and adventure along with comedy

  • ...
23
 139
 4,830

Shifting Feelings

Shift's POV

We all kind of stopped when Sky dropped. There were too many emotions around me to tell who felt what toward whom. The one emotion I could determine was from Twilight; absolute confusion toward me.

I snapped back to reality as Ben began waving his hoof in front of Sky's face. "Skyblaze, c'mon, get up. Wakey-wakey, Markus," he said and gave a sigh, "well, I'm all out of options." Princess Luna suddenly gained an evil look. "Oh god, no. Princess, I know what you're thinking, and--"

She kissed Skyblaze on the forehead. All other emotion stopped, as there was a crushing sense of compassion between the unconscious stallion and Luna. The Princess of the Moon withdrew. A moment later, Skyblaze's eyes shot open, swiveling in a confused panic. His gaze came to rest on the alicorn hanging above him.

"I did it again, didn't I?" Luna nodded, "I… erm… I can…" He looked extremely awkward, a spectrum of feelings radiating from him.

"Aw, screw it." He leaned up and planted his lips on Luna's, and if there was a single bystander who had tried to ignore the Princess or the situation, their cause was lost.

"Um… I don't want to be a bother, but ponies are staring," I said. They immediately broke contact, blushing furiously.

Aegis had recovered from his bout of laughter and looked at us all. "Well, Rain and I have to get to the orchard to help Applejack with a few things; something about fixing the fences," he said, "perhaps it would be best if we all went our separate ways. It's good to see you Sky, Ben."

As the small reunion broke up, I turned and nearly ran into Twilight. "Um… is it true that you, er… like me?"

"Well you did save my life, both physically and subconsciously," I said, "besides, you have the cutest smile when you're reading." The taste of embarrassment was so heavy at that point, I felt my tongue (Changlings have emotion-tongues?) begin to burn.

"Alright, but if you're staying at the library with Spike and I, you gotta stop with that emotion thing. It's kinda hard to suppress them as it is."

"Um, you can't suppress emotion."

She raised an eyebrow. "Come again?"

"Emotions are how your mind reacts to a situation, not how you physically display them," I explained. Being exposed to other's emotions constantly probably made me the best psychiatrist ever. I don't have to ask 'how does that make you feel?'. "In any case, I can't control it, so I tend to be quiet about most of what I sense."

"Okay…" she traced a pattern on the ground, "what am I feeling now?"

I analyzed the emotions flowing into and around me, all emanating from Twilight. "Well, there's a ton of emotions one can feel at one time. As for you, you're mostly giving off curiousity, confusion, and a myriad of other, less powerful emotions. One of which is a stronger feeling usually, but in you, it's laced with uncertainty, which is a suppressant."

Her eyes widened in surprise. "How do you detect them? I mean, how can you tell what emotion is what?"

Don't say taste don't say taste don't say taste whatever you do don't say taste, said my mind. My rational side and my truthful side were warring with each other, so I satisfied them both by shrugging. It was vague and not an actual answer, but Twilight seemed content.

"Interesting… I should write a report on it someday," she said, "it would make a captivating research topic. I don't think anypony else has that talent."

Oh no, it's just us Changelings. You know, the strange creatures that seduced your brother and threatened to take over all of Equestria. "Nope, just me… although I think every mare I met has it too. They just seem to know what I'm feeling… especially Storm."

Twilight chuckled. "No, you're just an open book, and Storm is your sister," she said, turning for the library, "let's go home, Spike should be done organizing the books on the 'Magical Theory' shelf."

Kind Greetings' POV

"Sky!" I called, "Sky, come on! We need to go back to Canterlot!" Skyblaze and had wandered off after the whole Luna fiasco. It was frustrating really; we were supposed to be on a diplomatic reconnaissance mission, and all the royal blue pegasus could do was drool over the Princess. Of course, an interspecies relationship with the ruling class is a sure-fire way to gain their favor, but only when the suitor is actually focused on their duty. And Skyblaze was the epitome of inattentive. "Markus!"

Then I heard a weird sound. Snoring. From the sky. I looked up to see a cloud that was sagging slightly, a rainbow-colored mane hanging off the side. Who was the one pegasus I know with a rainbow mane?

"Excuse me? Miss Rainbow Dash?" I yelled at the cloud. There was a groan and Rainbow Dash's head popped over the side of fluffy bed.

She looked at me in annoyance. "What's so important that you have to interrupt my nap? Who are you, anyways?"

"Kind Greetings, or Ben if that's a mouthful," I said, "I'm looking for a friend of mine; blue pegasus stallion, grey-and-teal mane, and a book and quill for a cutie mark."

"What of it?"

"Well, I thought, since you're at such a high vantage point, you could do a quick area scan for him?"

She sighed and stood, looking over at a nearby cloud. "Hey, buddy. Your friend is looking for you."

Skyblaze's head came into view, surprising me. "What do ya want, Ben?" he said irritatedly, "you interrupted my nap, as well as Dash's."

"Um… how did you get up there?" As far as I knew, Skyblaze had not had any flight instruction, so how he was able to get to a high altitude was beyond me.

"Pegasus, remember?" he said, then looked over at Rainbow Dash, "gotta run, Canterlot business and whatnot." He jumped off the cloud, spreading his wings and gliding down without fault. I stared at him questioningly as he landed. "Where's Luna?"

"At the carriage already," I said with a disbelieving sigh, "how did you figure out how to fly?"

"It was like walking; I just followed my instinct," he said beaming, "that's how Storm learned magic, so I gave it a try with my wings." He half-spread his avian appendages for emphasis. "Having gone to an aviation summer camp helped."

I just rolled my eyes and led the foalish pegasus to the carriage, where Luna waited patiently. "Hello again, Skyblaze, Ben," she greeted as we climbed into our respective seats, "Skyblaze, when we return to Canterlot, please go to your dormitory and preen your feathers; they're rather unsightly."

Skyblaze lifted his wings. Some of the primaries were crooked and out of alignment. "Pegasi have to preen?"

"Of course," Luna chuckled, "their wings are like any other avian and must be taken care of as such. I could… teach you, if you like." The Princess blushed lightly.

"Um… sure, that'd be great."

Oh, great. As far as I saw, preening seemed like a private sanitary activity. This brony was making my job a lot harder. I groaned and slumped in my seat, rubbing my face with a hoof.

Storm's POV

To be honest, I don't care if I'm dating a stallion. I don't care if my friends think it's weird, and I certainly don't care that I was ever a guy. I suppose you could say I reached a point of acceptance that I'm a mare and nothing is going to change that. I am gonna be living in Equestria anyhow, so I may as well get used to it.

Besides, I don't think I could ever do without Caramel. He's just so… I don't know! Again, I may have accepted my marehood, but my new mind still does weird things. Like crush on a stallion. Caramel can be a klutz, but whenever he blunders he gets this cute blush. Like when he entirely forgot about his cousin's birthday party! It took a pass by Sugarcube Corner to remind him, but he looked so adorable when he ducked his head in shame. I was able to cheer him back up with a hug and a simple daffodil-out-of-nowhere trick. I hope Roseluck wouldn't mind me borrowing one.

The party went without event, and Caramel and I ended up leaving early anyway. We just walked around town, and he showed me the sights and lights. We talked, mostly about our favorite foods or the weather or some other small topic. I almost gave myself away when I nearly said 'bacon and eggs', but it went smoothly otherwise. He didn't mention anything about my lack of a cutie mark, which gave me relief.

"Hey, um… Storm?" he asked.

"Yeah?"

"I know you're staying at Sweet Apple Acres, but I was wondering, since you don't have a place to stay… you could… I dunno, maybe…"

"Uh huh?"

He took a large inhale. "Would you like to stay the night with me?"

The question took me off-guard, but I smiled none the less. "Thanks Caramel. That would be great." I leaned on him as we made our way home in the light of the sunset. It was a romantic scene, really; the sun dipping slowly ahead of us, bathing the street in an orange glow, the long shadows from the numerous objects making the avenue that much larger.

His house was at the very end of the street, at the bottom of a decline, so as to not block the sun from the street. It was a simple two-story house, looking like any other Ponyville structure, albeit noticeably smaller. Caramel took a key from under the mat and opened the door, leading me into the abode.

"It's not much; one bedroom, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a living room," he said, looking slightly shamed at the humbleness of his home, "but there is one thing that I love about it. Come on." I gave him a curious look and followed him upstairs.

The bedroom didn't have much to say about, being occupied only by a master bed and a wardrobe. Caramel directed me to a door at the back of the room. He was giving a smirk, increasing my impatient curiosity. I rushed to the door gripping the handle with my magic before glancing hopefully at the stallion. He nodded and smiled. I closed my eyes in anticipation and turned the handle, shoving open the door and cantering in. I opened my eyes…

…and they widened in awe. I was out on a balcony jutting out from the second story, overlooking the wonderful sunset. The view was unobstructed, only a few rolling hills separating us from the setting sun. At one point Caramel had sat next to me and was staring at the same sight. "Beautiful, isn't it?" he said, "I come out here every sunset."

"I…" I was speechless as a looked over at him, only to find him doing the same. We both blushed and chuckled nervously. "Every sunset?"

"You'd need a charm spell to get me to not come out here."

"I might put you up to that."

"If it's your spell, I wouldn't mind," wait, huh? "I… m-mean I wouldn't mind you using your magic on me." He facehoofed.

Did I mention he had a cute blush? He just has this… blush-able face. Seriously mare-mind? Blush-able? Maybe it was the sunset. Or the closeness of him. Or even just the moment in a whole. I felt like I belonged right there, with Caramel on that balcony. Looking into his eyes, his perfect, blue eyes…

"Aw, buck it."

I pulled him close with my magic and planted my lips on his. He was caught off-guard, but didn't pull away. And so we stood there, lip-locked in the last seconds of the day. As the sun set and the day came to an end, so did our moment of passion, and we both agreed silently that it was bedtime.