• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 4,830 Views, 139 Comments

Brony Recon: To Live and Love in Equestria - Freescript the Bard



six bronies and their exploits in equestria, finding romance and adventure along with comedy

  • ...
23
 139
 4,830

Road Games and Charades

Aegis' POV

"POV means 'point of view'," I explained to Dash.

"Oh," she said, looking at a novel of short stories made by fans of Daring Do, "this story is confusing. It keeps switching views, like the plot rotates between characters!"

"Hey, you two…" Rain trailed off as she entered the house, "Dash, are you… reading?"

"Yeah, what of it?" she narrowed her eyes.

"Ah, Daring Do?" Rain asked.

"Fan compilation, yeah."

"That explains it then," said Rain as she sat herself in her seat, "hey, Aegis, sorry for this morning. I get kinda moody…"

"Hey, it's my fault for egging you on," I said, "I should be the one apologizing. Nopony can help if they're a morning pony or not."

She sighed and looked away. Everything was silent as I enjoyed an apple for lunch. "Why are you so humble?" her question surprised me as I was tossing the apple core into the garbage.

"What?"

"You always go out of your way to put blame on yourself, or to short-size yourself so other ponies feel better."

"That's my talent," I said blatantly.

She tilted her head. "Huh?"

"My talent. I take the fault so other ponies don't have to suffer."

She pondered this for a moment. Meanwhile, Dash was absorbed in her book. "What do you think is my talent?" she asked.

"You have to figure that out for yourself, Chloe. You'll get your cutie mark eventually…"

"Yeah, I've been meaning to ask you guys about that," Dash said, looking up from her book, "why the hay do three grown ponies not have their cutie marks?"

Rain shrugged. "We never found our talent, I guess. And remember that Shift is a Changeling who fabricated his original disguise."

"I guess that makes sense…" she sat back and flipped a page. It was a moment before she spoke again, "Shift is different from other Changelings."

"Well of course he is. He can--" Dash stopped me with a hoof.

"I don't mean that, I mean he looks different."

"Explain," said Rain.

"Well, for one he doesn't have those two extra antler… horn… thingies, and his shell is much smoother. Also, his horn is shaped like Chrysalis', and he doesn't have blue wing-shells."

"So, he's different on the outside as well as the inside?" asked Rain.

"Yeah, he looks a lot less threatening," she smiled, "and doesn't look like as much of a parasite as the rest of them."

"Huh, I never thought about it," I said. Maybe Shift did have a chance if Storm's plan goes well.

Kind Greetings' POV

"Yay! We get to ride the train again!"

"Yeah, and this time, your mom gets to ride with us." I said to the filly on my back.

"Yeah, it'll be super-extra fun with mommy!" she exclaimed excitedly, "we can tell jokes, play road games, and tell stories!"

"Stories?" I asked plaintively.

Derpy nodded. "Yeah! I go lots of places when I deliver mail," she replied, "so I see a lot of things. I always tell them to Dinky when I get home."

"Uh huh! Mommy has lots of neat stories," said the small unicorn on my back, "Ooh, ooh! Can you tell Ben the one about the toothless baby alligator in Fillydelphia?"

"Sure," she replied to her daughter, then faced me, "it's one of Dinky's favorites! You'll really like it."

"Well, we have plenty of time on the train," I said as we reached the station and boarded, "okay, let's hear this story…" We sat in our booth and Derpy began her tale.

>>><<<

"Wow, so you brought the gator home and gave it to Pinkie Pie? So that's where Gummy came from."

"Yep, I didn't know how to take care of an alligator, but Pinkie Pie said she had a book about it, so she took it in as her pet," Derpy said as she finished her story, "I visit with Dinky sometimes when I don't have work."

"Huh, I should stop down in Ponyville to do that with you sometime," I said to the grey mare, "now, I think Dinky wants to play road games, right?"

"Yay! Let's play I Spy!" the filly jumped up and down in excitement, looking out the window, "I spy with my little eye… something… red!"

Derpy and I looked out the window, searching for the red object. Derpy had the advantage of pegasus sight, even with her condition. "That cardinal!" Wait, what cardinal? "In the tree half a mile down!"

"You're right, mommy!" Whoa, how did Dinky see that? Maybe the unicorn had inherited some of her mother's eyesight.

"Wow, you guys are amazing," I said, "I don't think I could've ever seen that until you pointed it out."

"My turn!" Derpy exclaimed excitedly, "I spy with my little eye… something white."

Her description was tough, as there were a lot of white things. A birch tree, a swan in a passing pond, the clouds… "The mountain-tops!" I was dumbfounded at Dinky's observance. Indeed, some of the mountains surrounding Canterlot Valley were high enough to have white-capped peaks. They hadn't even crossed my mind.

"Nope!" Derpy said, surprising me that Dinky guessed wrong.

"Um, that birch tree?" I guessed. It was a pretty obvious tree, there was no way that she…

"You're right, Ben!" Okay, maybe she did.

"Okay, my turn," I said, looking out the window, "I spy with my little eye something--"

"I LIKE PIE!" The echo was so loud, it transcended the few open windows in the train. Whatever it was, it effectively stopped my search for something to spy.

"What in Equestria was that?" Derpy wondered out loud.

"It was too loud… and random… for a normal pony," observed Dinky, "the only pony I know that could do that was Princess Luna on Nightmare Night."

I facehoofed as I realized who the culprit was. Skyblaze certainly had his own unique way of embarrassing himself, from fainting to absurd confessions blasted out in the Royal Canterlot Voice. "Sky… why do you do these things?" I wondered to myself.

Derpy giggled. "Silly, the sky can't talk!" she said, making Dinky and I laugh uncontrollably, soon joined by Derpy.

Storm's POV

I anxiously awaited Ben at the train depot. He had said that he was bringing two guests, which surprised me. Ben was a bit of a workaholic back home, often missing chat sessions for various jobs or mission-related things.

It was funny, I didn't really think of this whole thing as a mission anymore. Not since I met Caramel. But Equestria was feeling more and more like my home. I know I still had my parents back home, and that I would miss them, but my stallion was worth it. Besides, I don't think I'll ever live down that one night, when we showed just how deep our love went.

My thoughts were interrupted by the train pulling into the depot. The locomotive hissed and the doors slid open, the passengers piling out. I waited to spot the familiar green coat. Finally, Ben stepped out of the car, with a grey filly on his back and being followed by a grey pegasus mare. They were laughing.

Wondering what could fill the usually impassive Ben with such mirth, I trotted over to greet them. Then I saw the pegasus mare's eyes. They were golden, but were looking off in different directions. It was Derpy. The rallying symbol for bronies. Toleration incarnate. The great grey mare herself. And she was laughing with Ben.

Ben, on the other hoof, was looking Derpy on the eyes, meeting her wall-eyed gaze. There was something familiar about that stare. It should have been, 'cause Caramel gave me it all the time. Ben had fallen in love with Derpy. I didn't need Shift's Changeling tongue to know that. How it happened, I have no idea.

"Hey, Storm," he greeted, cheerily out-of-character, "I'd like you to meet Derpy and Dinky Hooves. They're my guests for the party tonight."

"Pleased to meet you," I said, breaking out of my reverie, "I'm Storm, one of Ben's friends."

"I know you!" exclaimed the small unicorn on Ben's back, "you're dating Caramel, right?"

Ben gave me a raised eyebrow as I nodded. "Yeah, that's me," I answered, "he's working at the farm right now, so I thought I'd come meet you all at the station."

"So how are the others, Storm?" Ben asked.

"Oh, the usual. But…" I hesitated.

Derpy frowned. "What's wrong?" she asked.

"Shift is in a bit of a depression…"

Ben's face turned to one of concern. "Did something happen, Storm?"

I sagged and looked him in the eye. "They found out, Ben. They saw him and they showed Twilight," I told him, "she ran away from him. He's in bad shape, Ben."

He looked shocked, but then dipped his head in thought. Then, looking at Derpy and Dinky, his ears perked up. "I have an idea, Storm. Where is he?"

"At Rarity's getting a suit for tonight," I explained, earning me a raised brow, "I'll explain later."

We trotted down the short route to Rarity's place, Ben and Derpy following closely. I couldn't help but notice the cast on the grey mare's wing. "So, what happened to your wing, Derpy?"

"Zapped by lightning, crashed into the royal plum tree… you know…" she said nonchalantly. Actually, I didn't know, but I decided to let it rest for now.

Ben trotted ahead of me to the front door of the boutique, knocking on it with a hoof. The door cracked open to reveal Rarity's prying eye. "I'm sorry, no customers for… oh, my aren't YOU a handsome one?" she said, her lone eye staring at Ben, "I'm terribly sorry, but I can't be bothered--"

"Rarity, my name is Kind Greetings, or Ben for brevity," he said, silencing the stricken mare, "I'm one of Shift's friends, and I have somepony I want him to meet." Wrapping a foreleg around Derpy's shoulders he brought her into Rarity's line of sight.

She sighed. "I hardly think replacing Twilight is going to--"

"No, it's not like that!" Ben exclaimed, "I just want to talk to him. We can break him out of his depression."

The fashionista looked at the trio, if you include Dinky, up and down. "Alright, but be… gentle." She opened the door to let us in.

The main floor of the room was covered in papers and fabric. In the center of the room, Shift stood in his Changeling form, facing away from us, wearing the basics of a tuxedo. "Rarity, I'm getting a cramp…" the Changeling complained.

Ben trotted up to the black model and put a hoof on his shoulder. "At ease, brony," he said, making Shift jump back, "Hey, Shift. I want you to meet somepony. Derpy?"

"Hello, Mister Shift, I'm Derpy Hooves!" Derpy said, ignoring the fact she was holding a hoof out to an emotion-parasite.

Shift looked at her in confusion. "You're not… afraid of me?"

"Oh, wow! A Changeling!" exclaimed Dinky, "can you really mimic other ponies? Ooh, do Pinkie Pie!"

Shift looked uneasy, but complied, changing into a perfect copy of the party pony. "Ta-da?"

"Cool! Oh, can you do… um… oh! Do mommy!" she asked.

Shift glowed green again, turning into Derpy. Suddenly, he jumped back from Ben. "Are you serious?!" Shift exclaimed at the green stallion in Derpy's voice, apparently flabbergasted, "you're in love with Derpy?!"

Ben blushed, as did the grey pegasus. "I… don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh, don't even try, Ben!" Shift said accusingly, "I'm feeding off your love as we speak!"

Derpy looked at Ben. "You… like me?" she asked shyly, "even with my eyes?"

"Remember what I told you, Derpy?" he said, "part of friendship is accepting everypony, not for who… or what," he turned to Shift, "…they are on the outside. What matters is what's on the inside."

Shift smiled at Ben, returning to Changeling form. "Thanks, Ben. I needed that," he said, "but watching your face when I told you that you were in love? Priceless!" He burst into laughter, joined by me, and soon Dinky.

"Do you really love mommy?" the filly asked Ben after she recovered from her fit of giggles.

"Yes, I do," Ben admitted, "I love her for who she is, a kind and loving mare. And I love you too, Dinky, because you're smart, funny, and downright adorable." He nuzzled Dinky's nose. D'aww, the workaholic has a weak spot for fillies.

I sniffed a bit by the emotional scene, and even Rarity had brought out a handkerchief… or is it a hoof-kerchief? "Aww… you guys are so cute!" I said as Ben drew two into a hug, "although, I think we should get out of Rarity's hair and let her get back to work."

"Yes, of course, darling… um, Shift, could you… stand where you were?" the dressmaker waved a hoof, making the Changeling sigh.

Shift gave us one last look. "Thanks guys, now I'm ready for tonight…" then he drooped slightly, "I just hope Twilight is, too."

"Don't worry, Shift. Luna already agreed to inhibit her magic so she can't teleport away." I said confidently, making Ben and Dinky look at me with confusion.

Shift frowned. "That's not what I meant," he said dejectedly, then brightened up a little, "thanks for stopping by, Ben. I haven't seen you in a week."

"It was good to see you again, Shift. Take care."

The Changeling smiled. "You too," he said as we turned for the door, "alright Rarity, do your thing!" His voice was filled with a confidence that inundated my heart with sisterly pride.