• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 4,830 Views, 139 Comments

Brony Recon: To Live and Love in Equestria - Freescript the Bard



six bronies and their exploits in equestria, finding romance and adventure along with comedy

  • ...
23
 139
 4,830

Bard

Rainchaser's POV

The morning after Storm's freak-out in the barn, I had to struggle awake again. Just like every morning before. Yet when I opened my magenta eyes, I found a matching pair staring back. I gave a start, but there was something in my way on the other side. I turned over to see a pair of green irises looking back. I shot out of bed, or what I thought was a bed. The three of us had fallen asleep in the barn on a pile of hay, laying next to each other.

"Um, morning…" Dash said, grinning awkwardly. Great, another morning pony to make me feel jealous.

Aegis rose to his hooves. "Did we really just sleep in a pile of hay?"

"Question is, were we rolling in it? Anypony else remember last night?" Aegis and I raised our hooves. "Ugh… buncha abstainers, aren't you?"

"Eeyup," mimicked Aegis, "and don't worry, nothing happened."

"Who said I was worried?" Dash challenged. She fluttered to her hooves, shaking the hay out of her rainbow mane. "So… what now?"

"Breakfast, that's what," I grumbled, "with a strong cup of apple coffee."

"Aw… is somepony grump- oomf!" I hoofed Aegis in the side as he trotted past. "Ow, alright, yeesh…"

"Hey, Aegis, lay off our fillyfriend, okay?" Dash said in a mocking tone, "she doesn't need help being a downer in the morning."

Our fillyfriend. It kinda caught me off-guard, making me trip over my hooves to fall face-first in the dirt pathway with a 'piff'. I suppose I would have to get used to having both a fillyfriend and a coltfriend. Wait, isn't that what Storm is? "Wow, Dash. I think you threw off Miss Grumpy's balance."

"If you know what's good for you, Nick," I mumbled through the dirt, "you are gonna shut your bucking trap."

Fearing for his well being, he helped me up and even opened the door for me, much to Dash's amusement. Applejack greeted us on the way in. "Howdy, ah see y'all are up," she greeted, "well, almost all of ya."

"Just hoof me the coffee so I don't have to suffer these two any more." She happily obliged, handing me pre-made mug of the black liquid. "Thanks," I said to the farm mare, sipping the sweet caffeinated beverage.

"Do you think Shift is up yet?" Aegis asked to the assembly, which now included Applebloom and Big Mac.

"I don't know how you come out of something he's been through," I said, "it could be a few hours yet before he--"

"INCOMING!" CRASH! "Ow… oh, hey guys. What's up?"

We all looked up to see Skyblaze's head sticking out of the slanted ceiling. "Skyblaze, why are ya in our roof?" asked Applebloom.

"Well, there I was, flying along when SOMEPONY decided it would be hilarious to throw a bit of thunder cloud at my face."

The front door opened, revealing a midnight blue pegasus with round eyes. "I said I was sorry…" she said innocently.

"Luna, I swear you give me those eyes on purpose."

"LUNA?!" came the collective gasp.

Skyblaze sighed. "Luna, be a dear and help me out?"

"Oh, I don't know, Sky," she said, "you have a very nice bust…"

"Ha ha. Hilarious, can you…" He was silenced by Luna flying up and kissing his trapped head. "No fair, I'm stuck!" he complained when she broke away.

"Alright, you big foal… give me a moment," she said, trotting back outside. Soon after, Skyblaze's head was yanked from the roof, Luna's face peering in. "Normally I would fix this with magic, be seeing as I am incapacitated by a certain sun goddess, all I can give you is an apology for causing my stallion to crash clumsily into your roof. Good day, my subjects."

We all stared blankly for a a whole five minutes at the hole I the ceiling. "Was it just me, or did we just get trolled by Luna?" Dash said pointedly, "usually that would be Celestia…"

"But if Celestia is the reason for Luna's condition, doesn't that mean the we were trolled by Celestia?" said Aegis pointedly. Dash facehoofed.

Storm's POV

"Hello Rarity, how's it going?" I said, cantering into the boutique.

She looked at me and sighed. "Oh, I appreciate the challenge of designing a suit for a Changeling but…" the dressmaker hesitated, "to say he's depressed would be an understatement."

"Can I… talk to him?" I asked, "I am basically his sister after all."

She shook her head. "I'm sorry, darling, but I don't think he wants company at the moment," she said, bringing me down, "but if it's any consolation, I shall have a word with him. I have yet to apologize for our… rash behavior."

I drooped my head, but nodded my thanks. Caramel stepped in for me. "How's the suit coming?"

"Oh, it's coming along FABULOUSLY!" she said, waving a hoof, "he's very cooperative, even given his state. I say that Shift shall be the most well dressed Changeling in all Equestria- no, on all Terra!"

I giggled at her excitement. "Now don't go too overboard," I warned, "you know how Twilight hates excessive things."

"Oh, I know, and don't worry, I shall be finished by tonight!"

With a goodbye, we left Rarity to her designs. "Hey, Caramel?" I said, turning to my lover.

"Yes, Storm?"

"If it comes down to it… would you mind having a Changeling for a brother?"

He gave a start. "You're…thinking about that already…?"

"Well, hypothetically at least…" I said, trying to lessen the blush on our faces.

"To be honest, I don't think I care," he said, giving me a forehead kiss, "as long as I'm with you."

I kissed him on the cheek in return. "Have I told you I love you?"

"Every day." We trotted on to stop at the Gilded Griffon, a café at the center of town, for lunch. Honestly, DLTs are the best food in Equestria. Who knew that daisies were better than bacon? Or at least, to a pony. I still liked them a lot, as did the other bronies. Even Skyblaze and Rainchaser, who claimed to hate tomatoes on Earth.

"So, everything seems to be going alright," I said to Caramel, "even though it took some convincing for Twilight to agree to coming to the party."

"Yep, although…" he frowned, "I still don't have anything to wear to it."

"Oh, come on, it's not the Grand Galloping Gala. I'm sure as hay not gonna wear anything. But you can bet your bits that Rarity will, and maybe Luna, but she's a princess."

He stopped chewing. "Princess Luna is coming?"

"I do believe I am," came a voice from above. We looked up to see a midnight-blue pegasus hovering above us. "And I actually wasn't planning on wearing anything, even my crown. But I suppose I have to sport a badge of office."

"Princess Luna?! You're a…" Caramel stammered.

"Pegasus, and don't you forget it," Skyblaze came appeared next to Luna, "come on, love, I wanna get some shut-eye before the party. I hear Pinkie's throwing it, and if our welcome party is any consolation, it's gonna be awesome!"

"Yes, I do believe I should tell my sister to return my form before then. While being a pegasus is enjoyable, I do have an image to upkeep."

"Aw, but you look so cute…" Luna shot Sky a look, "oh, right, immortal princess of the night…"

"I'm glad you can overlook that. Now let's head home."

As they flew off, Caramel and I gave each other a look. To the confusion of the other ponies sitting on the outside deck, we broke into laughter.

Skyblaze's POV

"…and besides, what compelled you to throw a piece of thunder cloud at my face?" I berated Luna.

"How could I resist?" she giggled.

"D'aww, you know I can't stay mad at you when you do that," then I thought for a minute, "wait, pegasi can throw pieces of cloud?"

"It's not a well-known fact, but yes."

"Huh." We flew on for a few more minutes in silence. "Can you teach me the Royal Canterlot voice?"

"What?" she gave me a raised eyebrow.

"At first I thought it was magic, but you could do it when you're a pegasus, so I doubt that's the case."

"Well, to learn the Empowered Voice, you must be either an alicorn or a bard."

I tilted my head. "What's a bard?"

"A bard is a pony that travels around Equestria, spinning fantasies and singing songs. However, they have the power to manipulate magic with their voice, singing or in the Archaic Tongue. It is not a skill that one can teach, as a bard is born with their power."

I was silent for a moment. "Well, my talent is making stories, and I'm a good singer."

She nodded. "It is possible that you are a bard, then, considering your traits. But there is one way to test it," she said rubbing her chin, "focus your mind on your voice. Will it to project and become louder, while also focusing on the feeling of authority."

"Why authority?"

"The Empowered Voice was constructed for leaders. As such, it relies on authoritative thoughts as a power source."

"Alright, here goes…" I concentrated, focusing on my voice, injecting it with authoritative power, and took a deep inhale… "I LIKE PIE!" Luna cringed as my voice echoed throughout the Valley, a hundred times louder than normal.

"'I like pie'? You couldn't come up with anything better to shout at the world?" Luna questioned.

"Well, it's the first thing that popped into my head. They have really good pie at Sugarcube Corner," I countered, "at least I did it."

Luna's eyes widened. "Well, congratulations," she said, "you are now Skyblaze the Bard."

Blinking, I stared off into the distance. "I don't feel any different."

Luna giggled. "Don't ever change, Sky," she said, "and don't let this go to your head."

I laughed, "I've seen what happens when power goes to one's head, and you can count me out."

>>><<<

We landed on the balcony to Luna's tower. Stepping into the room, we were welcomed by Celestia. "Good day, sister. You're up late."

"Hello, sister, we were just--"

"HI TIA!" my voice boomed off the walls.

Luna facehoofed. "I regret ever teaching you that," she complained, "could I have my form back, Tia?"

"Of course. I trust you have learned your lesson?" Luna nodded. "Then you are allowed your horn back." Celestia's horn glowed a golden light. There was a blinding flash, and the midnight pegasus was replaced with the alicorn I loved.

When the spell was complete, I jumped on Luna in as massive of a hug I could muster. We toppled as we came into a kiss. "Now come on, lovely, let's get to bed," I chided, as a blushing Tia teleported out of the room, "we don't wanna be drowsy for the party."

"Of course not," she said, her adolescent voice replaced by the regal intonation. She sidled into the bed next to me. Wrapping me in her now-large wings, we both fell into a slumber.