• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 4,830 Views, 139 Comments

Brony Recon: To Live and Love in Equestria - Freescript the Bard



six bronies and their exploits in equestria, finding romance and adventure along with comedy

  • ...
23
 139
 4,830

Alyiess

Shorter chapters today and yesterday, guys, sorry. Three reasons for this. One, poor planning; I didn't really measure out the section length to my usual standards. Two, plot device; there is a major timeframe jump here, perfect for leave-off point. Three, completed content; my chapter updates are slowly catching up with my writing, so I am allowing a little slack on the line (I still wanted to update this daily, so there's that)

Please enjoy this action-packed, super-short, all-around good chapter!
-MarkusBrony (Skyblaze)

>>><<<


Shift's POV

"Twi, I think Spike is getting jealous of me."

"Why would Spike get jealous of you?" she giggled, but then saw my deadpan, "oh, right, you can sense emotion."

I smiled and kissed her. "I'm glad that you can overlook that," I said, "let me talk to him when he's done with helping Colgate." I trotted over to the stairs and descended to the atrium, where a blue unicorn was just leaving. The purple assistant was reorganizing the shelf he had taken the book from. "Hey Spike? Can I talk to you?"

The dragon climbed down from the ladder and sat on the couch. "What do you want?" he asked, his tone sour. I tried not to let his scowl get to me.

"Spike, I'm not trying to take Twilight away from you," I consoled, "we're just… developing our relationship is all." My words had little effect on the small reptilian on the couch. "How about this; after lunch, you, Twilight, and I can go over to that ice cream parlor you love so much. My treat."

His expression softened noticeably, and all resentment disappeared when Owloysius landed next to him, sleepily proving a point. "Okay, Shift. I'm sorry I was being so protective," he said apologetically, "it's just that Twilight is my big sister, ya know?"

"Yeah, I do. Storm can be quite a handful at times, though," I admitted, then pulled close and whispered, "and if everything goes smoothly, I may count you as a brother as well."

"You WHA--!" he began before a shoved a hoof in his mouth.

"I love Twilight, Spike," I said, "and that's where love often leads when it's true."

The dragon nodded rapidly, then chuckled nervously. "You know, I was actually starting to plan out my scheme for getting rid of you by accusing you of being a Changeling," he said, his chuckle turning into a hearty laugh, "you know, 'cause you can read emotions and stuff?" I laughed along, but with less spirit.

Twilight appeared from upstairs, smiling as she saw our mirth. "Hey, you two. You seem to be getting along," she said cheerily. I trotted over to her and discussed my after-lunch plans, to which she gladly agreed.

Our talk broke as a knock sounded at the door. I opened it with magic to reveal a tired-looking blue pegasus. "Hey, Shift…"

"Skyblaze?" I said, surprised at his arrival, "why do you look so tired?"

"Three reasons; one, I'm usually asleep by now. Two, I just flew from bucking Canterlot. Three, I'd like to see anypony that can withstand the Royal Canterlot Voice."

Twilight looked at him in pity. "What did you do to make Luna mad?"

"I never said Luna was the one that was mad," he answered, "evidently, Luna regretted to tell me that sleeping next to a Princess is a capitol offense, punishable by banishment to the moon."

"Wait, what?" asked Twilight and I simultaneously.

"Oh yeah, Luna and I are dating by the way," he said, as if it were the most normal thing in the world, "but I came on royal business. And also as part of my punishment. I am to hoof-deliver this letter to a 'Shift, Spike, and/or Miss Sparkle', and since you're all here…" he tossed a scroll on the ground, "…here. Enjoy your day. I'm going to bed." With that, Sky flew off, leaving us in a stunned silence.

"Um, how about we all go to the park before lunch?"

"Yep" I said.

"Im in," said Spike.

Before leaving, Twilight picked up the scroll and opened it, reading out loud.

To the inhabitants of Ponyville Library,

Hello, I am writing this as a notice that instant correspondence it now possible through sending-fire, even though this particular scroll was hoof delivered. If I have any need to contact the bronies, I shall send a letter and they will receive it instantly. If the bronies have any need to contact either Skyblaze or I, the Princesses have assured me that the dragon known as Spike is able to send letters directly to me.

Hoping your day is good,
-Kind Greetings (Ben)

"Well, I guess it's good we can stay in touch with our friends in Canterlot," I remarked, "but Ben sounds kinda formal in that letter. He only does that when somepony is trolling him or when he is working."

"Maybe he was working when he sent that letter," suggested Spike. I didn't have any other theories, so I gave a nod and the three of us left the library for the park.

Rainchaser's POV

"Run, Dash! They're closing!"

"This would be easier if we could fly!" she shouted back along the narrow corridor, panting in effort, "buck these underground hallways!"

The cultists were getting closer, the earth ponies heading the line as they pursued the pair of us down the Manehattan maintenance tunnels. Rainbow Dash and I had discovered the Alyiess' lair, located deep in the city underground, connecting with a huge cavern that was set up as a temple.

While we were there, the leader, known as Deep Nectar, began a rant, the robed unicorn mare rambling about something called the True Energy, that moved the sun instead of Celestia. What really freaked me out was that they called the thing that brought misery to non-Alyiess ' the Darkness'.

Major satanic stuff. In any case, our ruse as sanitary mares was quickly blown by our lack of knowledge in the subject. And so, here we were, escaping down the underground labyrinth with armored cultists after us. "Do you think the Princess got our message?" I yelled at Dash. We had sent for reinforcements for the mass arrest the day before, once we discovered the malice behind the Alyiess.

My answer was in the form of the tunnel in front of us exploding, covering the passage in dust. From the cloud, a line of ebon-armored ponies from the Lunar Guard, Princess Luna's personal host, led by a familiar blue pegasus with a blade attached to his arm by a metal band. "Here comes the cavalry!" screamed Sky as he rushed for Dash and I, ushering us past the charge of guards. Occasionally, he had to dispatch an Alyiess with his blade, only dealing wounding blows.

Once we reached the breach in the tunnel, he signaled to rise through it, to which we gladly obliged. We were out on the street, panting and heaving, Sky looking us over for any trauma. I looked at him. "Where did you get that?" I asked, pointing to the sword on his blue wrist.

"Oh, Luna gave it to me," he said, then tapped the tip against the ground. The blade glowed, then seemed to fold up into a wristwatch. "Pretty sweet, right?" Then he glared at me angrily. "I thought I told you to stay."

"Well, I lived, didn't I?" I argued, "besides, I couldn't let Dash do it alone!"

"It's not about you, Rain," he said, his voice softening, "you're like a sister to all of us, Chloe, and even more than that to Aegis--" He stopped. "Oh sweet Celestia… I just broke a Pinkie Promise."

His last line was lost on me. What was it he said about Aegis? "What did…" I started, but I was at a loss.

"Chloe?" Dash asked, interrupting my thoughts, "why did he call you Chloe?"

He chuckled. "We have these weird nicknames for each other. I'm Markus, when we're just hangin' out," said Sky, "we call Kind Greetings 'Ben' all the time because his full name is a mouthful." Okay, he had that explanation planned; there was no way he came up with that on the spot.

"So… am I in trouble?" I asked, giving him my innocent face.

He shook his head. "No, but…" he hesitated, "I stopped in Ponyville on the way here. Aegis is worried about both of you." He looked down sadly before continuing, "I have never seen Nick in such a state."

Dash tilted her head. "Both of us?" Sky nodded.

I was in a state of shock. Aegis always talked to me, somehow knowing exactly how to make me smile. Sky was right, he was more than a fellow brony to me. "Dash, come on," I said, planting my hooves on the ground and flaring my grey wings, "we got a stallion waiting for us back home!" I took off at a record speed for me, followed closely by my fraternal brother and my best friend. Suddenly, Sky gasped in horror behind me. "What?" I asked worriedly.

"Luna and I just pulled off one of the biggest mass arrests in Equestria history, and we never said anything to Celestia!"