• Published 19th Aug 2017
  • 1,784 Views, 65 Comments

The Land Before Hooves - Moon Flame



Twilight Sparkle and her pony friends enbarks on a journey through the The Land Before Time, both to find their way back to Equestria and to help Littlefoot find friendship again.

  • ...
4
 65
 1,784

Chapter 9. The Great Drought

“It all began with the murkying of The Thundering Fall.”

“The Thundering Fall?” Rarity asked.

Ducky made a charade with her hand of something falling from above. “The Thundering Fall that provided the river with water. It was running through The Great Valley. Mother told me it was necessary for the plant life. That, and swimming.” She made swimming notions with her arms, having her movement grow heavier as she spoke.

“One day it was easy, then, the next few days, it became more and more murky. It became harder for a swimmer to see in it and it tasted disgusting .” Ducky shrugged. She fondled with a leaf. “The water grew more shallow each day. Eventually it became thick and the fall turned into a bare sip. Green food cannot grow without water, nope nope nope. The grownups had to expand The Time Of The Great Giving to ensure the others wouldn’t go hungry.”

“The Time Of Great Giving, is that a celebration of some sort?” Twilight asked. Ducky put the leaf in her mouth and swallowed. She turned to the alicorn and her six friends. They were all sitting down, letting the food inside their bellies lay to rest. Ducky may be an older swimmer today than she was before, but her answer still came out with the eccentricity of a youth.

“We had a drought before, we had. They big waterfall was blocked by a giant rock that fell down from the sky. I remember valley became so dry that it almost burned down that time.” Ducky faced away from Twilight. The sadness in her voice pierced her words. “This time it did not burn down at least, but the water did not return, at least not to its former floatiness, nope nope nope. We had to share everything we had in order to sustain the whole valley. But we can only do that for so long.” Duckys’ eyes grew shallow. “It was then that Spike left.”

“Your brother left you?” Twilight recalled the conversation she had with Littlefoot earlier.

“He wasn’t...” Ducky flinched. “He wasn’t really my brother. He wanted to leave with the other Spiketails and that was that.”

“Especially if he was in love.” Pinkie Pie also remembered Littlefoots story. Rarity shot her pink friend a fat glower.

“I didn’t mind it, I understood why he had to go. There was no other spiketails in the valley while I had all of my siblings and my mother.”

Rarity thought about Ducky’s words about Spike leaving. She felt they did not sync with her vocal tone.

Fluttershy nudged her hoof on Duckys’ shoulder in a sooting gesture. “What happened to them?” She asked.

“I’ll get to that. As I said, I had all of my siblings to take care of, since my mother were to busy collecting rationed food.” A lonely leaf sailed down from the crown above. Ducky looked at it. The leaf had a a nourishing green fragrance. “But that food soon grew very rare, very fast...”


15 Years earlier

The leaf fell from the crown and had a dry yellow fragrance. It wasn't orange like before The Big Freeze. It was like the leaf was trying to be green but instead ended up with black dots all over its photosynthesis. It looked sick, but not old sick, more like health beaten down into weakness. It seemed to have given up in its sick state. The sad thought ran through the Saurolophus’ head, big thoughts for such a tiny head. The swimmer looked at the leaf with glassy eyes. Ducky reached out her rodent sized hand and grabbed it mid air.

Oh hunger. I hate you hunger, yep yep yep.

Duckys’ belly rumbled. She felt on it with her claw. She thought she heard her siblings play further ahead. But nay. Who was she kidding? There was no playing, only the silence of the wind, blowing all to freely through the thin crowns of The Great Valley. None of the valley kids had the strength to play.

Ducky heard rustling coming from the bushes ahead. It was probably some poor creature looking for food. Ducky glanced in its direction to make sure that it wasn’t her mother.

It turned out to be rodent. Ducky breathed a sigh of relief. The grown ups had been unsuccessful in finding the cause of the murkying of The Thundering Fall. Some said that it had to do with the great lake outside the valley growing shallow. Ducky started walking toward her siblings. Her eyes deepened in hesitation. Having changed her mind, she started walking toward the sleeping nest instead, the one were her family usually rested. Ducky hurled the bushes to the side and felt the sad sight hit her right in the face.

The longneck child breathed heavily. He had no family, none of his own kind to talk to. At least he had his friends for sleep over, Ducky thought and walked up to him. She had the leaf in her claws.

“Littlefoot?”

The older longneck child groaned. He lifted his neck against the early morning sun. He let out a big yawn. “Oah, you’re all up?”

“My mother is out to get our rations. She would bring yours to she told me.”

Littlefoot grimaced while stretching his jaw. He spotted Duckys’ leaf.

“Is that?”

Duckys’ face turned guilty. “I’m sorry.”

Littlefoots' morning mood dropped. “Oh Ducky, you heard the grown ups. All the food is to be rationed. Taking leaves from the ground is considered stealing.”

“I know Littlefoot. Please, don’t tell my mother.” Ducky looked down at the leaf, then at Littlefoot. “But it wasn’t for me.”

Littlefoot closed his eyes. He mumbled to himself in an irritating way. He opened his lids halfway and scolded calmly. “Ducky, you know we have to follow the rules. If we break them then everyone else will start breaking them to. If that happens the whole valley will be in trouble.”

Ducky became aggravated. "I can’t stand to see you hungry Littlefoot. What if the grown-ups’ forget your ration like the last time?”

“I told you Ducky, again and again, I've saved three rations already, with only me eating them I'll make it. It’s more important that you take care for your families first. Remember, I don’t have a family.”

“STOP SAYING THAT!” Ducky suddenly exploded.

There was a familiar flapping sound. The flyer landed next to the swimmer.

“Ducky? Was that you? Me heard you scream.” Petris’ voice had its usual uneven core. Ducky suddenly realized she could get them all in trouble. She swallowed her cry and dropped the leaf behind her back.

“I apologize, I overreacted.”

Petri looked at Ducky with his usual look: Empathetic with a blank core of naive stupidity. “Petri accepts, he does,” Petri nodded, then adding blankly. “What was it Petri accepted again?”

Cera suddenly came out of the bushes. “What are you guys doing?!”

“Cera? Shouldn’t you be with your father?” Littlefoot asked.

Ever since the food turned this scarce Ceras’ father had been the most deliverance about upholding the ration system. This had in turn meant that he himself had gotten a small portion compared to his size. Littlefoot thought it was heartbreaking, considering how he had stolen water for himself before The Time Of The Great Giving came to be. “Is he alright?” Littlefoot asked.

“A little weak, but he’ll be fine. My father is a tough threehorn. It will take more than hunger to take him down.” Cera boomed.

Ducky couldn’t hold it any longer. “Littlefoot isn’t eating!”

“I told you Ducky, I have...”

“Saved rations from before...” Ducky nodded irritatingly at every word. “...We know, Littlefoot, we know! But you just...!”

Duckys’ anger swallowed her words. Littlefoots’ tired eyes met the others with all of them thinking the same thing. How many times had they argued since the drought began, especially Littlefoot and Ducky? Petri hovered up in front of the longneck. His clueless eyes gained a distinguished edge.

“What I believe Ducky is trying to say, Littlefoot, is that we will ALWAYS be your family.”

Always. The word hung in the air. Littlefoot met the dreamy eyes of Cera and Ducky before turning back to hovering Petri. He recalled all adventures they had together.

“You are right, Petri.” Littlefoot folded his neck around them. “You are my family.”

Cera felt the worries about her fathers health fade away. He may be annoying, but Littlefoot was anything but someone that would leave his friends hanging.

Petri felt Littlefoots heart against his ear. Was it beating uneven for a second? The flier looked up. The longneck had his neck raised. The morning sun reflected in his eyes, eagerness floating inside them as they gazed into the blue. Petri felt his joy turn to mud in his stomach.

Petri had hoped he was wrong, but now there was no doubt that his suspicions were correct. He decided to cherish the moment while it lasted.

After being with Duckys’ family Littlefoot slept over with Cera. The conditions for this was harsh. Littlefoot had to sleep behind a line of trees as far away from Ceras’ father as possible. Littlefoot was just about to fall asleep when someone tucked in close to him.

“Move over, sleepy head.”

“What about your father?” Littlefoot asked Cera sleepy.

“That old git? I’m not a little threehorn anymore. He has no control over me.”

“Hm, okay.” The longneck mumbled and fell asleep.

The night went on. Littlefoot opened his eyes. He found the space around his belly empty. Raising his head, he saw Cera sleeping with her stirring father again. Littlefoot knew Ceras’ father enough to not be surprised. He felt sorry for her, it could not be easy to have a father like that.

Father. Where are you?

Littlefoot remembered the feeling of Brons' neck, winding soothingly around his own. The memory quickly transformed into the feeling of both his grandparents’ as well. Littlefoot felt a smile form on his face when he imagined his mother. Did he miss all of them equally? Or did he miss...?

Littlefoots’ face twitched in realization. First now, after all these years, Littlefoot realized the truth. - He did not just miss his father, his grandparents and his mother. No, Littlefoot missed his race. He remembered his mothers words before she died, the ones that had turned out wrong. When we reach The Great Valley, there will be many longnecks for you to play with.

Ali.

Littlefoot remembered Alis' barkgreen eyes, looking at him with playful intent. Was she waiting for him to find her?

But what was the rush really? Littlefoot had his friends. He had his herd, his home. He had never cared about race before. He knew he still loved his friends, even though they weren't Longnecks. He knew he didn’t need more to be happy, Littlefoot had been happy for so long he could barely remember the hole his mother left behind. He had found the valley, found friendship. What was left to find? What was missing?

“No.” Littlefoot shook his head and groaned. What did it matter if he found the answer to that? - It was all the same anyway. What purpose did it have?

What is my purpose?

Littlefoot gazed into the horizon again. Was it curiousity? No, it was something else, something much more important. All throughout his life everyone had told Littlefoot about The Great Circle of life, but what exactly was life? Was it just him, his body and how it could be defined? Was it merely the consequence of existence? The longneck, who was about to turn young adult in not so long, rose to his feet. His mind went to his father. He was returning to The Great Valley to see him. The image included Brons' face, twisting in disappointment after hearing the news. For the first time since forever, the image made Littlefoot happy, and defiant.

That, father, is my road.

Littlefoot was all he could be, but life was bigger than him. Without remorse he started walking. With each step he took he felt the excitement grow within him. With each place he passed along the way it brought happy memories of him playing with his friends, but they were all nothing but a slow goodbye.

Forgive me friends, I will always love you for who you are. Promise to take care of your families until I have my own.

Littlefoot then left The Great Valley for good.


“Littlefoot?” Petri heard Cera call below. “Littlefoot! Where are you?!”

Petri may have been soaring through the sky, but hearing Ceras’ call made him feel like he was falling down So, he finally made up his mind?

Petri made a banking turn. As he sailed downward he spotted Cera talking with Ducky. He heard some of their aggravated words.

“So he left?”

“Some of the early ransomers told me, I can’t believe it!”

“Then, what are we waiting for?!”

Ceras' last question delayed on him as Petri landed. So many times had it been the same. - Littlefoot suddenly leaving the valley, them figuring out a course of action and them going on another adventure. - Petri saw Ducky motion him to come along.

But this was different. This was no adventure. It was something more, something deeper, something that he, Cera and Ducky would never understand. The words that then came out of Petri, he would not believe himself saying.

“No!”

Ceras’ determined face contorted. She glared at the flier. “What do you mean, no?! Did you even hear us?”

“Me heard enough Cera, and me say it again - Not this time.”

Ducky looked confused at Cera, as if Cera doing something mean was something new. Ducky shot Petri a look of urgence. “I don’t know what you two are arguing about, but this will have to wait, we need to go if we want to catch up with Littlefoot.”

“No, Ducky. As me said, not this time, this time us stay.”

Cera shrugged. “Alright. We follow him ourselves.”

“No Cera. You won’t.” Ceras’ left eye twitched at the fliers defiant words. She walked closer to him with firm steps. The scare did not work. “You won’t follow Littlefoot, Cera.”

“You can’t tell me what to do.”

“Me believe I just did.”

Cera was flabberghasted. It wasn't usual for the flier to be on the offence like this.

“What do you mean Petri? We belong with Littlefoot.” Ducky reasoned.

“No Ducky, us belong with his friendship. Littlefoot wants a family of longnecks like himself. He made a decision and us have to respect that.”

“How do you know that he meant to leave us?” Cera asked.

Petri raised his wings. “Me know, Cera. Me knew it as soon as his grandparents died.” Petri turned to Ducky again. “Us must let Littlefoot go.”

A moment ago, the air had been thick with excitement over another adventure being underway. It dropped like a stone. Cera had no idea what to say. She knew Petri was right. At least she knew she was righter.

“Hm! Alright then. He made his decision, we made ours!” The threehorn marched away with her tail piercing the air. Did Petri see her flinch before leaving? Ducky made one last desperate attempt to read into the flier and reveal his doubt. Petris eyes were as watery as hers, but not with doubt. It made Ducky realize that she knew the truth too.

Duckys’ mouth dropped at the speed of her tears. Sobbing, she crumbled into Petris’ wings.


Cera felt the mud part way between her steps. She had her eyes closed all the way, letting her quest of never become annoyed with anything, anyone in any possible way guide her.

Ceras’ annoyance-sense registered a tree root in front of her. She changed course and marched around it. Cera opened her eyes for once. The path ahead was clear, no annoyances in sight. But why was her sight blurry? Now she became annoyed. This could not be tolerated! She closed her eyes and marched on. She decided that she would march to her dad. Finding his annoyance signal would be like looking for The Great Valley inside The Great Valley.

It wasn’t far now. No one knew how to curse Longnecks to oblivion like her father. Cera opened her eyes and saw a heap of valley residents. They had all gathered around were her and her father rested. One of them was Duckys’ mother. She was looking at her from afar with goggly eyes.

Each step Cera took felt heavier as she approached the group. They all looked up at her, giving her the same eyes as Duckys’ mother. Cera did not feel herself walking anymore, more like soaring through vacuum. The eyes parted ways for her. Ceras’ father was lying in the same position as she left him this morning.


Current time

Ducky ended her story. Pinkie Pie allowed herself to breathe again. And here she had thought that Littlefoots’ story was sad, that one at least had a happy ending, this one was like a sick joke. The thought roared inside Pinkies’ head. Moon Flame, cmon! Stop ruining the day for internet readers looking for pony!

“So Ceras’ father is dead?” Fluttershy whimpered.

“Uh, yea, unless you’re sleeping so hard folks around you think you’re dead!” By now, the others were used to Rainbow Dash becoming angry rather than sad.

“What a tear factory!” Rarity wailed teary eyed.

“You’re a tear factory.” Rainbow mumbled.

“But what happened to the rest of you?” Twilight asked curious.

Ducky picked up another leaf and fondled with it. “After the death of Ceras’ father the rest of us, kind of, gave up. My brother was already gone and with Littlefoot gone too the heart of the group was gone. Once the grownups realized that the valley was lost it was nothing that really kept us together. Cera went with Tria and her daughter, Petri stayed in the valley with his mother and I left the valley with my mother and siblings.”

Twilight Sparkle looked sideways at her friends, who exchanged the same analyzing look. - A longneck receiving a cutie mark, a long lasting bond broken? The possible truth hanged over Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Apple Jack, Rarity and Pinkie Pie like the leaves of the tree-crown above them:

Could this detour, this unexpected journey of theirs, be a friendship quest?